Type keyword(s) to search

Home Improvement - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Interesting how Home Improvement went off the air because Allen didn't find it fair he was getting paid more than Richardson. Now with Last Man Standing it's because Fox is done, ratings are down and Allen is: "Yeah, time to move on." When they were possibly going to end a year before ABC knocked them off the air. Attitudes change in 20 years. 

27 minutes ago, readster said:

Interesting how Home Improvement went off the air because Allen didn't find it fair he was getting paid more than Richardson. Now with Last Man Standing it's because Fox is done, ratings are down and Allen is: "Yeah, time to move on." When they were possibly going to end a year before ABC knocked them off the air. Attitudes change in 20 years. 

I'm not getting the connection. Is Nancy Travis complaining that he makes more money?  And, TBH, oh HI, I would have found it odd if he were not making more than PR.  He had to have been in way more scenes between Tool Time and home versus just home.

• Love 1
51 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I'm not getting the connection. Is Nancy Travis complaining that he makes more money?  And, TBH, oh HI, I would have found it odd if he were not making more than PR.  He had to have been in way more scenes between Tool Time and home versus just home.

In this case and despite what happened, Tim Allen and everyone are saying: "Yeah, it's time to we wrap up the show." Tim Allen said years later, that while they had stories for a 9th season, they felt it was starting run out of steam. Season 9 more to wrap up the series for the actors, as they felt they didn't get that with COVID-19 happening. They only filmed 25% of the last episode and now scrapped it with just a few flashbacks when they return in season 9. It's "We are done" vs "No, this isn't fair and I'm done." 

• Love 1
On 7/28/2020 at 10:20 AM, BradyBunchFan said:

Tim Allen revealed on a talk show that he wanted the finale of the show to set up the reveal that Wilson was a ghost.

It's interesting to watch the show after reading that.  Keeping this in the back of your mind, the scenes with Wilson take on a new meaning.

11 hours ago, jason88cubs said:

The one episode that annoys me so much is the season 3 opener Maybe, Baby where it's 30 minutes of Jill talking about how much she wants a baby girl

WELL WHAT HAPPENS IF IT'S A BOY JILL!

Yeah, she didn't consider that at all. I also dislike it because in the later episode when it's Tim's turn to want a daughter after playing with his niece Jill won't even discuss it. But in this episode she's mad at him because he won't even discuss it. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

Yeah, she didn't consider that at all. I also dislike it because in the later episode when it's Tim's turn to want a daughter after playing with his niece Jill won't even discuss it. But in this episode she's mad at him because he won't even discuss it. 

don't get me started on Jill lol

• Love 1
2 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

Same here. I can go on and on about Jill.

Leaves Tim's car in snow "IT'S YOUR FAULT"

Tim stares at other woman in restaurant "TIM IS DISGUSTING", Jill flirts with officer and flirts with the granite guy...well that's normal!

ugh

• Love 1
1 hour ago, jason88cubs said:

Leaves Tim's car in snow "IT'S YOUR FAULT"

Tim stares at other woman in restaurant "TIM IS DISGUSTING", Jill flirts with officer and flirts with the granite guy...well that's normal!

ugh

Jill flirts with the officer and later tells Tim she hopes he learned his lesson.

Breaking a patient confidentiality to tell Tim and later Wilson that her patient had an affair with Heidi's husband.

Mad at Tim that he didn't tell when his friend was cheating on her friend. Later when it turns out Jill's friend broke up with the guy which she had been thinking about and Jill knew but she didn't tell Tim. 

Taking over Tim's garage with her pottery even though he's been using it for years when she could have used the basement.

Flipping out about Brad's girlfriend making his lunch for him. 

Insisting on the crazy security system when for once Tim was going for a more sensible one and getting mad at him. She also let him take the blame from the neighbors.

Not telling Tim she was planning a romantic night for them and getting mad when he didn't pick up any of her signals.

Getting mad at Mark when he saved Randy from getting beaten up by knocking out the bully.

Refusing to let Randy drive because Brad had an accident when he first got in accident. One of the rare times that Jill actually apologized.

Making Tim go to a B&B on Indy weekend and ticked when he wasn't as romantic as she wanted him to be. She uses that story to a group therapy to show how bad Tim if and leaves out the part of it being Indy weekend. The only other time she ever apologize.

And the one that tick me off the most. Jill forcing Brad to give up a chance to play soccer in England for college. That was a huge opportunity for Brad and something he'd never get in the US. He could always go to college later. But just a couple episodes before that when Tim attempted to do the same to Randy who wanted to go to Costa Rica Jill got mad at him for making Randy give up a huge opportunity. So Randy got the opportunity he wanted and Brad didn't.

• Love 1
(edited)
3 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

Jill flirts with the officer and later tells Tim she hopes he learned his lesson.

Breaking a patient confidentiality to tell Tim and later Wilson that her patient had an affair with Heidi's husband.

Mad at Tim that he didn't tell when his friend was cheating on her friend. Later when it turns out Jill's friend broke up with the guy which she had been thinking about and Jill knew but she didn't tell Tim. 

Taking over Tim's garage with her pottery even though he's been using it for years when she could have used the basement.

Flipping out about Brad's girlfriend making his lunch for him. 

Insisting on the crazy security system when for once Tim was going for a more sensible one and getting mad at him. She also let him take the blame from the neighbors.

Not telling Tim she was planning a romantic night for them and getting mad when he didn't pick up any of her signals.

Getting mad at Mark when he saved Randy from getting beaten up by knocking out the bully.

Refusing to let Randy drive because Brad had an accident when he first got in accident. One of the rare times that Jill actually apologized.

Making Tim go to a B&B on Indy weekend and ticked when he wasn't as romantic as she wanted him to be. She uses that story to a group therapy to show how bad Tim if and leaves out the part of it being Indy weekend. The only other time she ever apologize.

And the one that tick me off the most. Jill forcing Brad to give up a chance to play soccer in England for college. That was a huge opportunity for Brad and something he'd never get in the US. He could always go to college later. But just a couple episodes before that when Tim attempted to do the same to Randy who wanted to go to Costa Rica Jill got mad at him for making Randy give up a huge opportunity. So Randy got the opportunity he wanted and Brad didn't.

I think I found the perfect viewing partner!

Don't forget 1st episode where Jill didn't get the job then she made fun of Tool Time and Lisa

Tim buy Detroit Pistons season tickets, BAD!, Jill decides to go to college without discussing it with Tim? GOOD!

Edited by jason88cubs
  • Love 1
24 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

And the one that tick me off the most. Jill forcing Brad to give up a chance to play soccer in England for college. That was a huge opportunity for Brad and something he'd never get in the US. He could always go to college later.

This is the one that really gets me.  It seemed like a no brainer to me - college can be done later.  This opportunity is a right now thing.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, jason88cubs said:

I think I found the perfect viewing partner!

Don't forget 1st episode where Jill didn't get the job then she made fun of Tool Time and Lisa

Tim buy Detroit Pistons season tickets, BAD!, Jill decides to go to college without discussing it with Tim? GOOD!

Me too.

Yep, Jill could make decisions on her own how to spend large amounts of money but Tim couldn't. When he finally comes around to compromise Jill's idea of compromise is eight games out of forty.

Jill made fun of Tool Time all the time and looked down on it even though it paid for everything. All their bills, vacations and her college classes. Jill didn't even work for most of the season. There was no reason why she couldn't but she didn't.

2 hours ago, aquarian1 said:

This is the one that really gets me.  It seemed like a no brainer to me - college can be done later.  This opportunity is a right now thing.

Me too. It was too big of an opportunity to turn down. He could used his earnings to pay for college when he was done with soccer if he wanted. Or go into business or something else. Brad should have taken it and Jill should have been supportive.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
On 7/5/2022 at 4:57 PM, andromeda331 said:

Me too.

Yep, Jill could make decisions on her own how to spend large amounts of money but Tim couldn't. When he finally comes around to compromise Jill's idea of compromise is eight games out of forty.

Jill made fun of Tool Time all the time and looked down on it even though it paid for everything. All their bills, vacations and her college classes. Jill didn't even work for most of the season. There was no reason why she couldn't but she didn't.

Me too. It was too big of an opportunity to turn down. He could used his earnings to pay for college when he was done with soccer if he wanted. Or go into business or something else. Brad should have taken it and Jill should have been supportive.

I brought up too when Jill told Tim after the second hotrod was finally done. "Raise your hand and repeat after me: I will never do a hot rod project AGAIN!" I wanted to go: "Why?" you have the money, you find Tim annoying when he was around you all the time doing nothing. Two of your three kids are out of the house? What was Jill thinking he was going to do with his spare time? She would have been too busy starting up her own career in her MID 40s. She be gone all the time or working on a lot of cases the first couple of years. Hell, if things went well, she could even be teaching courses at a local community college as a result too. Many professional shrinks do and even have side gigs. Plus, Jill was going into general practice as her plan, not opening her own practice. She would be doing tons of paperwork too to meet state requirements. 

Something that has plagued Tim Allen's shows for years was. His character could have the big dough, but his spouse would make a big deal about it. Then he point out with: "Excuse me, we aren't hurting, I earned it well." Then he feel guilty about it and then compromise or go back. Of course as Last Man Standing went on, Mike Baxter was more of an asshole trying to realize if it was time to retire and let the world be. Tim Taylor was doing stuff he was passionate about, yet his spouse and friends were: "Oh Tim, just grow up!"

• Love 2
On 7/9/2022 at 3:15 PM, jason88cubs said:

Can anyone recall why Randy got the basement instead of Brad?

Pretty much, Brad got Mark's old room a couple of years before. Jill agreed since Brad was the oldest, he could have his own room. Randy got the basement after arguing with Mark too much. I honestly don't get why Brad wanted the basement so much. His room was fine, he had the space and he was in the farthest room. 

• Love 2
On 7/17/2022 at 5:21 PM, jason88cubs said:

what was the tavern called Tim would go to?

ahh big mikes

Which was introduced in the first season after they had Ernst Borniegn on. I also liked how it showed up back and forth the next few season. Even more in the 2nd season premiere we saw Al you know having a beer and joking with the K & B Crew. First time I felt Al was a normal guy instead of: "Everyone just loves him because Tim is the screw up." 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, readster said:

Which was introduced in the first season after they had Ernst Borniegn on. I also liked how it showed up back and forth the next few season. Even more in the 2nd season premiere we saw Al you know having a beer and joking with the K & B Crew. First time I felt Al was a normal guy instead of: "Everyone just loves him because Tim is the screw up." 

I loved the K and B Crew

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, jason88cubs said:

Loved the lunch on a job site segment. Was so funny

True.  But, I could never understand why anyone would let Tim on their job sites.  I would have been scared to death.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
On 8/19/2022 at 1:05 AM, andromeda331 said:

Or why the military allowed him anywhere near their bases or carrier.

No kidding, especially when he almost "destroyed" the carrier with the F-18 engine. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Egg McMuffin said:

I never liked Jill or the actress who played her - she seemed to specialize in playing these sour, know-it-all, killjoy types.

She was fine early on, but as time went on. Jill was just: "her way or the highway". Plus making it where she could NEVER admit she was wrong was just horrible. 

• Love 1
On 1/7/2019 at 10:22 AM, readster said:

I was just watching where Jill and Tim get audited. I really want to understand what would trigger and audit for them? Tim at that time had almost 20 years in with Binford. Jill hadn't worked in almost five years and was going to college full time. Brad would have had to file taxes since he was now working, but they didn't have the hardware store yet and weren't invested in the rental house. You think with all Jill's worry about money, she would have worried about an audit, yet she and Tim both act surprised when they get audited. Plus, Tim keeps a pretty bad system.

There is a prequel ep to this one. 

So Tim builds a tax machine. In true Tool Man style this machine is powered by a Formula 1 racing car engine which is then hooked up to a personal computer and scanner. Why a F1 racing car engine? More power (grunt grunt) so it saves time!

So he loads all the receipts and paper work into this machine and starts it up. Of course it works ok to start with but then it starts to over heat and blows up, burning some of the paper work in the process. 

To avoid Jill's venom he uses what he has left to quickly finish the taxes but of course not everything claimed is supported by receipts as now they have perished. 

He chats to Wilson later to get the morality lesson. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
On 1/23/2023 at 8:49 PM, jason88cubs said:

I REALLY need to get the dvd's. Such a funny show

It’s on Hulu if you have that. 

While we're ranting and raving about Jill (or at least we were a few months ago), I just caught the episode on Laff TV where she wouldn't "let" Tim buy his first car from a junkyard for $165. She wouldn't let him? Tim, you have a job. Go spend the $165 and buy the friggin' car. I hated how Jill treated everyone around her like she was so superior. 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, JayDub1987 said:

It’s on Hulu if you have that. 

While we're ranting and raving about Jill (or at least we were a few months ago), I just caught the episode on Laff TV where she wouldn't "let" Tim buy his first car from a junkyard for $165. She wouldn't let him? Tim, you have a job. Go spend the $165 and buy the friggin' car. I hated how Jill treated everyone around her like she was so superior. 

I hated that Jill refused to let him buy his first car. But it was okay for her to search for days and cross statelines to buy her old piano which had to be restored.  That was okay because it was for her. Yeah she really did act like she was superior to everyone else around. I'm sure she believed she was.

• Like 2
On 3/16/2023 at 8:39 PM, andromeda331 said:

I hated that Jill refused to let him buy his first car. But it was okay for her to search for days and cross statelines to buy her old piano which had to be restored.  That was okay because it was for her. Yeah she really did act like she was superior to everyone else around. I'm sure she believed she was.

I remember a episode where she was having dreams of the granite guy and he kissed her and she didn't know if she shoudl tell Tim, but there was a episode where Tim was caught in a compromising situation with Jenny Mccarthy's character and Jill freaked out

Or when she freaked out on Tim for buying season tickets to Pistons game but she decided to go to college without discussing it

• Like 1
On 4/14/2023 at 12:49 PM, jason88cubs said:

Watched a episode last night. The one where Randy questions Binford it's pollution credits. Not a great episode but man I'd take it over anything on TV nowadays

Randy was a little rough on Binford but I like Tim talking to Randy how to better approach Binford and how he went off on him earlier turns people off the subject he wants to talk about. How Tim did the same thing when his school wanted to cut car classes. 

• Like 1
21 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I like Tim talking to Randy how to better approach Binford and how he went off on him earlier turns people off the subject he wants to talk about. How Tim did the same thing when his school wanted to cut car classes. 

This is an opportunity I wish they had explored on a deeper level.  The original run of the show was the same time schools were cutting out car classes, wood shop, and metal shop.  I wish they had used the show's popularity to bring take up this cause, or at least bring more attention to it.

Fast forward to today.  Now there is a shortage of plumbers, welders, and mechanics.  

• Like 2
On 4/17/2023 at 9:31 AM, TheLastKidPicked said:

This is an opportunity I wish they had explored on a deeper level.  The original run of the show was the same time schools were cutting out car classes, wood shop, and metal shop.  I wish they had used the show's popularity to bring take up this cause, or at least bring more attention to it.

Fast forward to today.  Now there is a shortage of plumbers, welders, and mechanics.  

That would have been really nice. Those classes are important too. Being able to fix a tire if you get stranded is important or check your oil.  As you point out there's a shortage on them.  Also, you can make very decent amount of money in those fields with jobs that are never going to go away. I'm not sure how many students know that.   

• Like 2