Type keyword(s) to search

Home Improvement - General Discussion

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

So I know it's a day early, but there's another Home Improvement birthday tomorrow.

Happy 35th Birthday to Taran Noah Smith!

IMG_0284.JPG

Happy Birthday Taran! Its hard to imagine little Mark being 35!

• Love 2

This was a three part book, and there were a lot of details in each of the parts. However, I'm just going to break it down into 3 parts instead of doing all at once.

These will just be some little pieces of trivia to start off.

Taran

• For the first four years of his life, he lived on a boat. His family (including him) then later moved to a house.
  • He started his own vegan food business
  • Worked as in installation artist at festivals and museums
  • Now spends his time sailing his boat and working in disaster relief along with creating makerspaces to empower survivors and aid in the rebuilding process 

Candy (The mother)

• Worked as a script supervisor for feature films and also worked as an elementary teacher
  • Also owned her own sailboat just like her son Taran
  • Still lives on a boat today with her husband and their pets

The daughter Aria is now a mother of her own and has children.

Edited by MikaelaArsenault
  • Love 1

Part 3

• There was no safe place to play on the Disney lot for the children, so a recreation center along with a fenced in play area was created
  • Every year during the show, Taran got invited to something called a Celebrity Ski Trip which was a charity event
  • Years after the show ended, he got a call asking if he wanted to appear on Celebrity Boxing, and he said no
  • Only three incidents happened for Taran, but the major one was nausea. In one episode of the show, he appeared in only two scenes before being replaced by Zachery for the final scene.
  • Taran graduated from high school at fifteen and a half, and was taking and passing college level History tests in eighth grade 
  • Has done a lot of appearances including several for charity and radio stations
  • Tim Allen wanted to go to a liftoff of the space shuttle at Cape Canaveral, but he was working on another project and couldn't get free
  • Taran was gifted with Tim Allen's Chevrolet Impala on his fifteenth birthday, which happened to be at the final taping of the show during the cast and crew dinner
  • Taran now lives on a sailboat himself
  • Love 1

Watching the Old College Try the other day it made me wish that HI had gone on long enough to see the boys go off to college. Tim at first seemed the most interested in his students but Jill surprisingly got on board later too. I liked the scenes with them and the students over for dinner. Jill's shock that they ate her food and seemed to like it. It would have been so much fun to see Tim and Jill interacting with Brad's college friends and roommates. 

On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 10:32 AM, MikaelaArsenault said:

This was a three part book, and there were a lot of details in each of the parts. However, I'm just going to break it down into 3 parts instead of doing all at once.

These will just be some little pieces of trivia to start off.

Taran

• For the first four years of his life, he lived on a boat. His family (including him) then later moved to a house.
  • He started his own vegan food business
  • Worked as in installation artist at festivals and museums
  • Now spends his time sailing his boat and working in disaster relief along with creating makerspaces to empower survivors and aid in the rebuilding process 

Candy (The mother)

• Worked as a script supervisor for feature films and also worked as an elementary teacher
  • Also owned her own sailboat just like her son Taran
  • Still lives on a boat today with her husband and their pets

The daughter Aria is now a mother of her own and has children.

That sounds really interesting. I can't imagine living on a boat or raising a family on a boat but who knows maybe that would be a lot of fun. Taran sounds like he's doing really well and happy. That's good.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

Watching the Old College Try the other day it made me wish that HI had gone on long enough to see the boys go off to college. Tim at first seemed the most interested in his students but Jill surprisingly got on board later too. I liked the scenes with them and the students over for dinner. Jill's shock that they ate her food and seemed to like it. It would have been so much fun to see Tim and Jill interacting with Brad's college friends and roommates. 

That sounds really interesting. I can't imagine living on a boat or raising a family on a boat but who knows maybe that would be a lot of fun. Taran sounds like he's doing really well and happy. That's good.

I'm going to do the other two parts soon.

Interesting how much the writers were so much to say that Ilene was going to ruin Al's character if he got married. Yet, after having it where Ilene was engaged again and then after a season or unable to do much with Al except Tim double down on being an ass. They decided to marry him off in Season 8 even before they knew it was going to be their last season. As the old saying goes: "If it's not broke, don't fix it."

• Love 2

Here is some trivia:

The syndication version of the episode "I Was a Teenage Taylor" [6.7] contains a scene previously unincluded in the primetime version in which Tim brings his Halloween guy to the Tool Time set. 

Various episodes have shortened or slightly-revised opening sequences, usually with the theme appropriately cut or significantly revised. 

Syndication prints replace the first season opening credits (in which the cast's names are printed in a different font), with the opening credits that were used beginning with season two. Although the opening sequences are the same across the two seasons, the theme tunes are not.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, readster said:

Interesting how much the writers were so much to say that Ilene was going to ruin Al's character if he got married. Yet, after having it where Ilene was engaged again and then after a season or unable to do much with Al except Tim double down on being an ass. They decided to marry him off in Season 8 even before they knew it was going to be their last season. As the old saying goes: "If it's not broke, don't fix it."

That is very interesting. I always wondered why they did that after spending two years building up the relationship only to end it. There really wasn't any sign that they were going to do that or the couple had any doubts. It always felt like it came out of nowhere. But your right it really makes no sense since they ended up doing nothing. Al didn't really have another storyline until he was dating Trudy except for Tim being more of an ass. Why didn't they follow up by giving him more stuff. Visits from old friends. Had him dating more. He really does nothing. Given how the later seasons weren't that good. They probably would have been better off marrying Al off. We could have seen him settle into marry life.  That would have given him so much more story to work with. Plus Jill would have still had a friend around. 

4 hours ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

Here is some trivia:

The syndication version of the episode "I Was a Teenage Taylor" [6.7] contains a scene previously unincluded in the primetime version in which Tim brings his Halloween guy to the Tool Time set. 

Various episodes have shortened or slightly-revised opening sequences, usually with the theme appropriately cut or significantly revised. 

Syndication prints replace the first season opening credits (in which the cast's names are printed in a different font), with the opening credits that were used beginning with season two. Although the opening sequences are the same across the two seasons, the theme tunes are not.

Yeah, I understand why they have to make cuts on syndications for commercials and stuff but I really wish they wouldn't. Half of the time they cut out really good scenes or make the episode come off weird because of the weird or sharp cuts. 

• Love 1
On 7/1/2019 at 9:08 AM, andromeda331 said:

That is very interesting. I always wondered why they did that after spending two years building up the relationship only to end it. There really wasn't any sign that they were going to do that or the couple had any doubts. It always felt like it came out of nowhere. But your right it really makes no sense since they ended up doing nothing. Al didn't really have another storyline until he was dating Trudy except for Tim being more of an ass. Why didn't they follow up by giving him more stuff. Visits from old friends. Had him dating more. He really does nothing. Given how the later seasons weren't that good. They probably would have been better off marrying Al off. We could have seen him settle into marry life.  That would have given him so much more story to work with. Plus Jill would have still had a friend around. 

Reminds me of what happened on Full House when they let Vickie leave the show, because they felt it would ruin the entire concept for character of Danny if he got remarried. The only difference they had it where Vickie was working on assignment more so when she left the show it felt a bit more natural. However, after the series ended Bob Saget and several writers said it was a mistake doing that. They really did it because they didn't want to write a remarried Danny. Same happened on Fuller House when the show became a hit, they had shown that Danny got remarried, but then we only saw his 2nd wife for one episode and then nothing else stating: "The actress got too busy and we didn't know how to continue explaining why she didn't show up." 

They could have really focused on Al's mother being a "monster-in-law" or Al and Ilene talking about their own family and even how Ilene made more as an orthodontist than Al did. Shadowing on Al: "I'm do all the work, and I make crap and my wife just gets client after client." After Ilene was gone, it wasn't just Tim, but I felt like everyone ganged up on Al on his life. Harry got a bit more spirited towards him and even Marty didn't stop to take a swipe at Al. I think if Al's mother and brother weren't close by, he would have gotten up and left. 

• Love 2
22 hours ago, readster said:

Reminds me of what happened on Full House when they let Vickie leave the show, because they felt it would ruin the entire concept for character of Danny if he got remarried. The only difference they had it where Vickie was working on assignment more so when she left the show it felt a bit more natural. However, after the series ended Bob Saget and several writers said it was a mistake doing that. They really did it because they didn't want to write a remarried Danny. Same happened on Fuller House when the show became a hit, they had shown that Danny got remarried, but then we only saw his 2nd wife for one episode and then nothing else stating: "The actress got too busy and we didn't know how to continue explaining why she didn't show up." 

I remember that. That was a big mistake too. Vickie was a really nice woman, the girls really liked her and so did Danny. Plus it could have created storylines that the show needed. Danny adjusting to being married again, the girls having a stepmother, maybe some uncertainty from Becky since she's been the main woman in the house for advice and that's gone. Or maybe she's happy to have a sister-in-law in the house the way Jesse has Danny and Joey. In general its just really stupid to nix a really good relationship on TV. Especially after spending so much time building it. Its really short side-sighted. There was so much they could have done with Danny remarrying. By the end of the show Jesse's the only one in a successful marriage? 

They could have really focused on Al's mother being a "monster-in-law" or Al and Ilene talking about their own family and even how Ilene made more as an orthodontist than Al did. Shadowing on Al: "I'm do all the work, and I make crap and my wife just gets client after client." After Ilene was gone, it wasn't just Tim, but I felt like everyone ganged up on Al on his life. Harry got a bit more spirited towards him and even Marty didn't stop to take a swipe at Al. I think if Al's mother and brother weren't close by, he would have gotten up and left. 

They could have gone that route. There's no way Alma wouldn't have tried it and maybe we could have seen Al stand up to his mother once and for all. Al and IIene really seemed perfect for each other. They had the same interests and similar humor. They really seemed to love each other. We did get to see Al realizing IIene was the one after he messed up in the Eligible Bachelor article and him after whining forever in that Christmas episode finally decide to put IIene first. Everyone did gang up on Al about his life except IIene she loved his humor, bingo and miniature golf with him. She helped fix his game. And as mention they gave Al nothing else to do. They could have married them, newlywed stories and misunderstandings, and kids. 

I do love how Marty of all people making swipe's at Al. Really Marty? With all your brilliant life decisions you think your in a position to make fun of Al's? At least he can keep a job. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, andromeda331 said:

I remember that. That was a big mistake too. Vickie was a really nice woman, the girls really liked her and so did Danny. Plus it could have created storylines that the show needed. Danny adjusting to being married again, the girls having a stepmother, maybe some uncertainty from Becky since she's been the main woman in the house for advice and that's gone. Or maybe she's happy to have a sister-in-law in the house the way Jesse has Danny and Joey. In general its just really stupid to nix a really good relationship on TV. Especially after spending so much time building it. Its really short side-sighted. There was so much they could have done with Danny remarrying. By the end of the show Jesse's the only one in a successful marriage? 

They could have gone that route. There's no way Alma wouldn't have tried it and maybe we could have seen Al stand up to his mother once and for all. Al and IIene really seemed perfect for each other. They had the same interests and similar humor. They really seemed to love each other. We did get to see Al realizing IIene was the one after he messed up in the Eligible Bachelor article and him after whining forever in that Christmas episode finally decide to put IIene first. Everyone did gang up on Al about his life except IIene she loved his humor, bingo and miniature golf with him. She helped fix his game. And as mention they gave Al nothing else to do. They could have married them, newlywed stories and misunderstandings, and kids. 

No kidding, it's like when new writers come to a show and the main characters are married and they are: "We don't know how to write married couples, so let's give them drama or try to break them up so we can write them easier." It makes them come off as morons in the sake of not admitting their own limitations in writing. It was like how Wilson was written as time marched on. He went from the man who traveled the world, taught many students and then he didn't know how to work a telephone. Sorry, that wasn't funny, it's like he lived under a rock. 

I do love how Marty of all people making swipe's at Al. Really Marty? With all your brilliant life decisions you think your in a position to make fun of Al's? At least he can keep a job. 

Another odd thing was outside working at the pet store. Marty doing construction side jobs and also working for a zoo. These aren't just fly by night businesses. It's hard to work at a zoo, especially when it comes to animal care. People who did work there were being paid close to $15 an hour in the late 90s and the other odd jobs Marty was working would have been under the table or little taxes. So, really Marty would have been making some money, plus if he was switching jobs that many times or quitting. That would have raised red flags to the point he would have been lucky to get a job at a drive through at McDonald's. There is the sake for a joke, and then there is a man with a piss pour attitude on work and life that is causing all the problems himself. 

Though I did question, what was Nancy doing for a living? Even when Marty was working as a charter accountant, he would been making a good money. However, once the girls were in school, why would Nancy stay at home with the girls? Plus, she knew Marty wasn't making much after she kicked him out. I doubt any lawyer would have said: "Yeah, you have to pay X amount in alimony." Nancy would have laughed and gone: "What money?" It was like Alan's divorce on Two and a Half Men, no one really understood how divorces work, just it was a good for a cheap laugh.

• Love 2
On 7/3/2019 at 8:25 AM, readster said:

No kidding, it's like when new writers come to a show and the main characters are married and they are: "We don't know how to write married couples, so let's give them drama or try to break them up so we can write them easier." It makes them come off as morons in the sake of not admitting their own limitations in writing. It was like how Wilson was written as time marched on. He went from the man who traveled the world, taught many students and then he didn't know how to work a telephone. Sorry, that wasn't funny, it's like he lived under a rock. 

Yeah, they love to make up excuses or dumb reasons to hid their own limitations. Which doesn't work because it always looks exactly that. Plus its a big turn off and ends up causing fans to drop the show. Wilson is a great example. He was always a cool guy with a lot of interesting information and had done a lot of interesting stuff, traveled all over the world. He didn't know how to use a telephone or a TV. The guy who managed to help Tim and Jill with so many problems with different stories and references but suddenly goes off the rails over Brad's girlfriend making lunches instead of talking sense into Jill (or trying too) and not going do anything about the party Brad threw even though he said himself he's been watching for an hour so he had to have seen the drinking and Randy get thrown out of the house. Then again you can see their lack of any knowledge when it comes to college or psychology or they would have done better job making Jill's college make more sense and showing examples of her being good at helping people instead of every example not too. 

Another odd thing was outside working at the pet store. Marty doing construction side jobs and also working for a zoo. These aren't just fly by night businesses. It's hard to work at a zoo, especially when it comes to animal care. People who did work there were being paid close to $15 an hour in the late 90s and the other odd jobs Marty was working would have been under the table or little taxes. So, really Marty would have been making some money, plus if he was switching jobs that many times or quitting. That would have raised red flags to the point he would have been lucky to get a job at a drive through at McDonald's. There is the sake for a joke, and then there is a man with a piss pour attitude on work and life that is causing all the problems himself. 

Though I did question, what was Nancy doing for a living? Even when Marty was working as a charter accountant, he would been making a good money. However, once the girls were in school, why would Nancy stay at home with the girls? Plus, she knew Marty wasn't making much after she kicked him out. I doubt any lawyer would have said: "Yeah, you have to pay X amount in alimony." Nancy would have laughed and gone: "What money?" It was like Alan's divorce on Two and a Half Men, no one really understood how divorces work, just it was a good for a cheap laugh.

It is weird that Marty had so many good jobs and yet never remained at any of them. True the layoff wasn't his fault. But he doesn't look for jobs in his field or consider opening his own business? The zoo and construction are both really good jobs, they pay well. Either one could have been his new career or a place holder until he figured out what he wanted. None of those things happened. The only guess I can make is Marty's 'tude that's the only thing consistent. We see that when he works with Tim. Instead of being grateful he questions everything and its shocked that his opinion isn't taken into account and how bad he was at the hardware store sending customers to other stores. Seeing that he almost bailed on Nancy its easy to see that he either did the same thing at those jobs, had the same 'tude or both. We never see Marty finally grow up.

Good question about Nancy. They never mentioned a job. I can see why she wouldn't work after the twins were born. Taking care of twin babies is a lot of work. We don't know if she ever found out that Marty was thinking of bailing on her when their twins were babies. Its hard to imagine she would stay if she knew or wouldn't busy herself getting a job and/or skills in case he bolted. But even if she didn't know about that. She lived with him long enough to put up with his 'tude, his various jobs that he never seemed to keep and except for one he wasn't losing due to circumstances he couldn't control, and also meant ups and downs when it came to money.  You'd think she would have tired of that early on and being the only one parenting their kids and left him sooner. Let alone been working really early on at least so they'd have some money coming in steady every week or as part of a plan to end up divorcing her husband.

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

Yeah, they love to make up excuses or dumb reasons to hid their own limitations. Which doesn't work because it always looks exactly that. Plus its a big turn off and ends up causing fans to drop the show. Wilson is a great example. He was always a cool guy with a lot of interesting information and had done a lot of interesting stuff, traveled all over the world. He didn't know how to use a telephone or a TV. The guy who managed to help Tim and Jill with so many problems with different stories and references but suddenly goes off the rails over Brad's girlfriend making lunches instead of talking sense into Jill (or trying too) and not going do anything about the party Brad threw even though he said himself he's been watching for an hour so he had to have seen the drinking and Randy get thrown out of the house. Then again you can see their lack of any knowledge when it comes to college or psychology or they would have done better job making Jill's college make more sense and showing examples of her being good at helping people instead of every example not too. 

Right, when the writers didn't know something, they seriously faked it until someone stop caring or didn't notice. They barely did their research, same goes to even Jill's pre-defense when they were already writing down feedback before anything started. You CAN'T DO THAT! Department chairs or Deans want you to time stamp notes and if they did that before anything started. They would be calling them into their office going: "So, do you like your tenure? Because you are giving me reasons to bring this to the college board." It was like when they had Wilson want to build the green house, that Tim had more of a problem with than anyone else. HOWEVER... Wilson then went into how it was too much even for him. Towards the end of the series, Wilson got a little over the top on too much. His forced "feminism" the green house, not knowing how a phone or TV worked. Or the fact one minute he loved sports and the next was: "How is this game played?"

It is weird that Marty had so many good jobs and yet never remained at any of them. True the layoff wasn't his fault. But he doesn't look for jobs in his field or consider opening his own business? The zoo and construction are both really good jobs, they pay well. Either one could have been his new career or a place holder until he figured out what he wanted. None of those things happened. The only guess I can make is Marty's 'tude that's the only thing consistent. We see that when he works with Tim. Instead of being grateful he questions everything and its shocked that his opinion isn't taken into account and how bad he was at the hardware store sending customers to other stores. Seeing that he almost bailed on Nancy its easy to see that he either did the same thing at those jobs, had the same 'tude or both. We never see Marty finally grow up.

It was like with Jeff's various jobs until Lucille not only convinced him to go into packing and shipping (That had a big boom in the late 90s early 00s). I mean what lead to Jeff just going job to job? What did he even do at one point in his life? We know Jeff finished high school, but over 30 years of bouncing between jobs and two failed marriages, but how was Jeff supporting himself? He moved out a long, long time ago. 

Watching the Magazine Test episode again. It really starts Jill's true downhill characterization. I mean, I get those surveys aren't just thought up on the fly. However, Tim admits his joking and so forth, but then to have Jill basically use the magazine and compare Tim to it in such an in depth look. There were signs of Jill's father right there before we even meet Fred Patterson. Most of those surveys from the 90s were just for fun, they really didn't have a lot of research done in them. Many magazines even admitted in the late 90s they just checked facts to avoid insulting people. However, they were just for fun.

• Love 1
On 7/10/2019 at 10:16 AM, readster said:

Watching the Magazine Test episode again. It really starts Jill's true downhill characterization. I mean, I get those surveys aren't just thought up on the fly. However, Tim admits his joking and so forth, but then to have Jill basically use the magazine and compare Tim to it in such an in depth look. There were signs of Jill's father right there before we even meet Fred Patterson. Most of those surveys from the 90s were just for fun, they really didn't have a lot of research done in them. Many magazines even admitted in the late 90s they just checked facts to avoid insulting people. However, they were just for fun.

No, the surveys are but they are never serious. Always just fun. I don't know why Jill takes it so seriously or uses it to compare to Tim.  Really the only ones who took them seriously were teens and even that didn't last long. I used to read Sassy, Seventeen and all of those magazines and it didn't take long to realize most of them were made up it. But it was fun. I do like Tim asking if any men were consulted and Jill answers no. Ah, its a quiz about compatibility between men and women which she for some reason is taking so seriously and yet didn't consult any men and she doesn't see a problem with it. She really comes off as an idiot. 

• Love 2
17 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

No, the surveys are but they are never serious. Always just fun. I don't know why Jill takes it so seriously or uses it to compare to Tim.  Really the only ones who took them seriously were teens and even that didn't last long. I used to read Sassy, Seventeen and all of those magazines and it didn't take long to realize most of them were made up it. But it was fun. I do like Tim asking if any men were consulted and Jill answers no. Ah, its a quiz about compatibility between men and women which she for some reason is taking so seriously and yet didn't consult any men and she doesn't see a problem with it. She really comes off as an idiot. 

Like with the boys switching rooms. Something that did bother me was why Brad never got his own room to start with. He was the oldest, I get that Mark was not planned and that both Brad and Randy picked on him. However, how Mark had his own room first before Brad really never made sense. Even more how Jill said: "Right now we can't have 3 rooms, but one of these days I'll probably lose my mind and have it happen." Yep, 2 years later. I get Jill wanted to be the hero who came in and save the day, but really in the long run, Tim tried it, it didn't work and yes, Randy explained what was really the problem.

However, for Jill to expected Brad to do all his own laundry and so forth at 13. I don't think so, if anything, Jill should have had it where Brad loaded the laundry and then started it. Then she would fold, then later on go to the full extent once Jill was more engulfed in school. It just was kind of a zero to 60 for Brad.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, readster said:

Like with the boys switching rooms. Something that did bother me was why Brad never got his own room to start with. He was the oldest, I get that Mark was not planned and that both Brad and Randy picked on him. However, how Mark had his own room first before Brad really never made sense. Even more how Jill said: "Right now we can't have 3 rooms, but one of these days I'll probably lose my mind and have it happen." Yep, 2 years later. I get Jill wanted to be the hero who came in and save the day, but really in the long run, Tim tried it, it didn't work and yes, Randy explained what was really the problem.

It was weird. Usually if they make kids share its going to be the younger ones unless there's a really big age gap which there really wasn't. Yes four years but that's not much. But also why would you make any of your kids share a room when you don't have too? Who does that and makes themselves listen to all the fighting over sharing a room when they don't have too? It would have more sense for them to build the bedroom in the basement for Brad. He would have been about six when Mark was born or a couple years later when he was eight or ten. Jill doesn't do that cause she likes having her babies close by ah then have Tim build an extra room onto that floor he already had to extend it for her whirlpool or build a room in the attic. You do have to love how she comes home and finds out Tim split Brad and Randy up and gets mad at Tim. How dare he try to a solve a problem while she was out. And of course Jill doesn't believe that Tim could have fixed it. Oh, no if she had been home she would have been able to solve the problem. She's just sure of it. Tim did exactly what she suggest which was to sit the boys down and find out what the problem was but Randy wouldn't tell him. So he went with the only option he had because Jill wouldn't let him build. She's also mad that they didn't sit down and talking switch rooms with all three boys. Again this makes her come off as stupid. How exactly does she think that conversation is going to end? With Randy and Mark magically thrilled to be sharing a room? No matter what happened two boys were going to be ticked off and the only one happy was going to be Brad who got his own room. What exactly was talking it over with all three going to accomplish? Nothing.  You'd think she would know that since she had four sisters and tells Brad later that she always shared a room with one of her sisters. There's no way they were always happy about that. Jill goes to talk to Randy who finally does tell her what the problem is but its nothing she can fix. Brad's growing up, in middle school and has friends and other interests that unfortunately don't include his little brother. It stinks but normal and nothing they can do about that.  Ah, so Jill can't fix the problem. Its like earlier in the series when Brad and Randy are being jerks to Mark and Jill thinks they should sit the boys down and talk to him. Has she met kids? You'd almost think she was an only child because she comes up with that idea and thinks that would work. Anyone who has siblings already knows that answer. But since this is Jill she thinks it she can fix it. No one else can but that's because their not Jill. Of course she didn't fix that either. Eventually the boys stopped picking on Mark because they got older and interests in other stuff and nothing Jill did. 

However, for Jill to expected Brad to do all his own laundry and so forth at 13. I don't think so, if anything, Jill should have had it where Brad loaded the laundry and then started it. Then she would fold, then later on go to the full extent once Jill was more engulfed in school. It just was kind of a zero to 60 for Brad.

Well, seeing how Tim rigged laundry machine that really would have been easy for Brad to just throw in and start. The problem would probably be that he's 13 and is going to forget all the time. To do the laundry anyways and on the off chance he remembered or was reminded by Tim or Jill would throw it and then forget to take it out. He's most likely to be wearing dirty clothes for a week if not longer. 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, readster said:

There was a family with 3 girls that lived behind us when I was a kid. They had 2 rooms.  K-5 started at a later time than 6-12.  So, the youngest girl started out with her own room since she got up later, and then when she it 6th grade, they switched and the oldest got her own room.

• Love 2
40 minutes ago, Katy M said:

There was a family with 3 girls that lived behind us when I was a kid. They had 2 rooms.  K-5 started at a later time than 6-12.  So, the youngest girl started out with her own room since she got up later, and then when she it 6th grade, they switched and the oldest got her own room.

That makes a lot of sense. Even on Full House they did the same thing DJ and Stephanie started out sharing a room while Michelle who was the baby had her own room but eventually moved Michelle in with Stephanie and DJ got Michelle's room. 

• Love 1
(edited)
30 minutes ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

Laff is back to showing Season 6 starting tomorrow afternoon. It's not one of my favorite seasons, but it does have some good episodes such as The Karate Kid Returns.

I do love Mark using his karate to save Randy. That was such a good scene. Randy tried really hard to defuse the situation since it was an accident, he did apologize and tried using humor. Its just so natural for Randy to later feel embarrassed at everyone knowing he was saved by his little brother, see Lauren laughing and just assume its because of him. And having it turn out to be wrong. Randy turning to Tim for advice which helps and rightly pointing out that women usually give guys like them a second chance Randy deciding to write an article against violence. 

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 1
41 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

I do love Mark using his karate to save Randy. That was such a good scene. Randy tried really hard to defuse the situation since it was an accident, he did apologize and tried using humor. Its just so natural for Randy to later feel embarrassed at everyone knowing he was saved by his little brother, see Lauren laughing and just assume its because of him. And having it turn out to be wrong. Randy turning to Tim for advice which helps and rightly pointing out that women usually give guys like them a second chance Randy deciding to write an article against violence. 

That scene is still a problem, because you see an older woman behind all 3 of them as the situation is unfolding. Yet, she just stares off with a: "Boys will be boys." Plus, where the hell was the shoe store clerk? He really disappeared like he fell into the secret Soviet Stranger Things Upside Down Gate.

Very well broken down idea. Even on Full House, it was over the fact that both Jesse and Joey moved in. Other wise, the girls had their own rooms up until that moment. I think a problem was starting in season 6, they had no idea what to do with Mark. There was apparent early talk that originally the Taylor Family was going to be Tim, Jill, and two boys and only one girl. Having it where the sister had to hold her own with her two older brothers. Looking at how the series went and how Mark's character ended up working. I think the writers would have had easier times dealing with a younger sister and dealing with teenage problems that both Brad and Randy didn't have to deal with. Such as: "puberty, father dealing with his daughter dating, cliches, ect." Writers later admitted they got stuck with Mark and when JTT left the series, they started figuring out what to do with Mark who was a lot older by then and dealing with the relationship between Brad and Mark as teens than as the "annoying little brother".

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

I do love Mark using his karate to save Randy. That was such a good scene. Randy tried really hard to defuse the situation since it was an accident, he did apologize and tried using humor. 

I'm not really a fan of the later seasons myself, but there are some exceptions as to episodes.

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, readster said:

That scene is still a problem, because you see an older woman behind all 3 of them as the situation is unfolding. Yet, she just stares off with a: "Boys will be boys." Plus, where the hell was the shoe store clerk? He really disappeared like he fell into the secret Soviet Stranger Things Upside Down Gate.

The store clerk not around is not really weird for me. I've lost count on how many stores especially the mall I've been in and who knows where the actually employees are. Good luck finding a salesclerk at Sears or JC Penneys. As a teen when I found out how little they made it made complete sense you couldn't find that an employee. But yeah maybe one should have been around to throw the bully out or the woman standing there should have stepped up and done something. She was an adult. 

Very well broken down idea. Even on Full House, it was over the fact that both Jesse and Joey moved in. Other wise, the girls had their own rooms up until that moment. I think a problem was starting in season 6, they had no idea what to do with Mark. There was apparent early talk that originally the Taylor Family was going to be Tim, Jill, and two boys and only one girl. Having it where the sister had to hold her own with her two older brothers. Looking at how the series went and how Mark's character ended up working. I think the writers would have had easier times dealing with a younger sister and dealing with teenage problems that both Brad and Randy didn't have to deal with. Such as: "puberty, father dealing with his daughter dating, cliches, ect." Writers later admitted they got stuck with Mark and when JTT left the series, they started figuring out what to do with Mark who was a lot older by then and dealing with the relationship between Brad and Mark as teens than as the "annoying little brother".

I wonder if they would have done more with the third Taylor kid if it had been a girl instead of another boy. I'm not really sure. On one hand it would have given them a lot more material to work with Tim dealing with a daughter, dolls, tea parties, and stuff unless they made her into sports and stuff which would have been cool too. On the other hand so many shows do nothing with the third kid anyways. Brick on the Middle got the short end of the stick when it came to storylines too same with Morgan from Boy Meets World, Judy on Family Matters until she disappeared, Cecily on Road to Avonlea, Ben and Chrissy on Growing Pains, etc. They focus so much on the older two kids and ignore the third except for cute or snarky lines or if your Michelle Tanner and become an obnoxious spoiled brat. Its really crazy, there's so many things they could have done with Mark. Maybe make him interested in more girly things he did like ballet and baking with his mom or one of the many different interests out there. Brad got sports and Randy got newspaper, Mark did really well in karate and go to competitions or he could have been the musical one either classical or rock. Or maybe have him try on a bunch of different personalities. I liked when they gave him the goth personality and film making even though they ended up getting tired of the goth. It was finally something that was his and different from his brothers. Before that I could never tell if Mark actually really liked ballet, baking, cars, and fixing things or he liked them because his mom and dad did. Maybe he did but it was hard to tell.

23 minutes ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

I'm not really a fan of the later seasons myself, but there are some exceptions as to episodes.

Same here. I like the early seasons best but there are a few episodes or parts of episodes that I do like from the later year. 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

Brick on the Middle got the short end of the stick when it came to storylines

I'll agree with the rest of them, but Brick got his fair share of stories.  They had a whole episode about how they had to take bizarre routes places so he wouldn't have to go over bridges. There was an episode where he was supposed to play with kids until he convinced the principal (or whoever) that since he could already converse with adults he would be fine with an adult.  There was a whole episode about how he was switched at birth and then switched back again.  The spelling bee epi.  The epi where he goes to visit Sue at college and she loses him. 

• Love 3

Patricia really has been selected in where she appears for the past decade after finishing her part on that medical show on Lifetime. I know it had to do more with time with her twins who are now 25 and her oldest is is 32

• Love 2
5 hours ago, readster said:

Patricia really has been selected in where she appears for the past decade after finishing her part on that medical show on Lifetime. I know it had to do more with time with her twins who are now 25 and her oldest is is 32

She was in an episode of Blindspot recently.

17 hours ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

She was in an episode of Blindspot recently.

Nice, earliest acting job I remember is when she played a radio producer on an episode of Quantum Leap about 3 years before Home Improvement started.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, readster said:

Nice, earliest acting job I remember is when she played a radio producer on an episode of Quantum Leap about 3 years before Home Improvement started.

I remember her in Double Trouble.  I think I'm the only one who watched that. LOL.  They posted some episodes on YouTube, and I decided to be nostalgic.  I did not realize that every single episode (not that I watched them all) was about the twins switching places.  But, anyway, Patricia Richardson played the dad's girlfriend the first season.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, readster said:

She also appeared in The Parent Trap III as well, and she'll also be appearing in another new Lifetime Christmas movie that is scheduled to come out later this year.

• Love 1
(edited)

Parent Trap III was the first thing I saw her in too. I'm sure I saw her in The Adventures of Con Sawyer & Hucklemary Finn, Katie & Allie, and The Cosby show. I've seen all the episodes but don't really remember her. Its always fun to watch old TV shows and movies and see actors and actresses that you didn't know then would be in hit TV shows later.

After Home Improvement I saw her in Strong Medicine, Smart Cookies, Snow Bride, Chance at Romance and Christmas in Tennessee. She was good in all of them but I really liked Snow Bride the best. She was smart, cool and no fool. I love that she knew who Greta was the whole time. I really wish they had done that with Jill on Home Improvement or stayed with it. There were times when she really was smart and figured out what the boys or Tim were up too but didn't keep it. I liked her in Strong Medicine even though I didn't like the show. 

She really is a great actress. I always wished she would do more. She'd be great in movies or made for TV movies and TV shows. 

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

Parent Trap III was the first thing I saw her in too. I'm sure I saw her in The Adventures of Con Sawyer & Hucklemary Finn, Katie & Allie, and The Cosby show. I've seen all the episodes but don't really remember her. Its always fun to watch old TV shows and movies and see actors and actresses that you didn't know then would be in hit TV shows later.

After Home Improvement I saw her in Strong Medicine, Smart Cookies, Snow Bride, Chance at Romance and Christmas in Tennessee. She was good in all of them but I really liked Snow Bride the best. She was smart, cool and no full. I love that she knew who Greta was the whole time. I really wish they had done that with Jill on Home Improvement or stayed with it. There were times when she really was smart and figured out what the boys or Tim were up too but didn't keep it. I liked her in Strong Medicine even though I didn't like the show. 

She really is a great actress. I always wished she would do more. She'd be great in movies or made for TV movies and TV shows. 

The Adventures of Con Sawyer and Hucklemary Finn was part of ABC Weekend Special.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

The Adventures of Con Sawyer and Hucklemary Finn was part of ABC Weekend Special.

Yeah, I'm know I watched it. My brother and I watched it back then. We watched all those specials and Drew Berrymore was in it! Its funny that Patricia Richardson was in that movie playing Pamela Sawyer when about a decade later Jonathan Taylor Thomas played Tom Sawyer.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, andromeda331 said:

Yeah, I'm know I watched it. My brother and I watched it back then. We watched all those specials and Drew Berrymore was in it! Its funny that Patricia Richardson was in that movie playing Pamela Sawyer when about a decade later Jonathan Taylor Thomas played Tom Sawyer.

I do remember that. I use to watch the ABC weekend specials all the time. Even the later reruns. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

It was a lot of fun. 

Yeah, it's funny I do remember Zach making some joke somewhere he thought he end up on an ABC Weekend special just when Home Improvement started, when of course it was in a major decline by 94 before all major networks dumped their cartoons and kid show line ups. 

• Love 2

I loved those After School Specials and Weekend  Specials.  And The OG Read More shows.  I'm going to sound like some old codger, but I kind of feel sorry for kids today.  Not just about TV, but it seems like the best stuff from my childhood isn't around any more.  Neighborhood kids playing outside all days, being able to check to see who checked out a library book so you know if it's any good, having to take the time to looking something up in an actual physical dictionary or encyclopedia.  

• Love 3
13 hours ago, Katy M said:

I loved those After School Specials and Weekend  Specials.  And The OG Read More shows.  I'm going to sound like some old codger, but I kind of feel sorry for kids today.  Not just about TV, but it seems like the best stuff from my childhood isn't around any more.  Neighborhood kids playing outside all days, being able to check to see who checked out a library book so you know if it's any good, having to take the time to looking something up in an actual physical dictionary or encyclopedia.  

Yeah times change, but yes, it does worry me some days. I have pre-teens at home and one of mine just rather swing in his backyard or retreat to streaming inside, but we make pushes for him to do more. It's a slow process, but works. But times are different, shows are viable on different medias now. You aren't limited to a time and day anymore like you once were. Though I have to admit, reading it pushed more than usual and I see even kids in my classrooms checking out more books in hard cover form or at least checking out graphic novels. 

Back to the show, the downslide of Marty Taylor started. If you remember, he lost his charter accountant job and began the: "Why do I have to work so hard crap" he carried the rest of the season. Something I didn't notice was when Tim and Marty were saying how they got kicked out of a lot of things. Marty says: "My own house." I went: "When did that happen?" Marty wasn't kicked out by Nancy for another three years. We had Jeff mentioned many times who Tim put in as: "He's in worst shape then you." Which, we later learned two years later he was. When they mentioned Rick in the episode and then four ore times in the show. Sounded like Rick had a gambling issue and was constantly looking for more. Outside Marty who couldn't keep a job or Jeff who kept trying to pull off some entrepreneurship company. 

• Love 2