Type keyword(s) to search

Home Improvement - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Watching the Film Class episode again. After listening to the teacher talk, and I get this was 1999, but wow! She was a ding bat with how she talked about her students who at that time are ranging from 13-14 could be future: "dating service people or recording home movies." I mean, talk about setting standards so low for her students. Also with Dr. Handover, he was laughing at his step son's commentary. Also, Jill's thesis/dissertation is a mess. She seems to be going in for a full defense, but then after everything it seems like it is pre-defense. Yes, can you go into a defense and not be successful and have to rewrite it? Yes, happens all the time, and a grad students worst fear after so long of working on this (Jill's case 5 years). However, we never got why Jill chose these specific professors for her committee. A graduate student CHOOSES who they want as their chair and who to be on the committee. The university doesn't just assign you who they feel is right for you. It's who you FEEL is right for you. Jill going over how much she hated Dr. Handover and I wanted to go: "But you wanted him for your chair, don't complain now." 

• Love 2
On 2/3/2019 at 4:12 PM, readster said:

Watching the Film Class episode again. After listening to the teacher talk, and I get this was 1999, but wow! She was a ding bat with how she talked about her students who at that time are ranging from 13-14 could be future: "dating service people or recording home movies." I mean, talk about setting standards so low for her students. Also with Dr. Handover, he was laughing at his step son's commentary. Also, Jill's thesis/dissertation is a mess. She seems to be going in for a full defense, but then after everything it seems like it is pre-defense. Yes, can you go into a defense and not be successful and have to rewrite it? Yes, happens all the time, and a grad students worst fear after so long of working on this (Jill's case 5 years). However, we never got why Jill chose these specific professors for her committee. A graduate student CHOOSES who they want as their chair and who to be on the committee. The university doesn't just assign you who they feel is right for you. It's who you FEEL is right for you. Jill going over how much she hated Dr. Handover and I wanted to go: "But you wanted him for your chair, don't complain now." 

Loose Lips and Freudian Slips.

• Love 1
On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 2:12 PM, readster said:

Watching the Film Class episode again. After listening to the teacher talk, and I get this was 1999, but wow! She was a ding bat with how she talked about her students who at that time are ranging from 13-14 could be future: "dating service people or recording home movies." I mean, talk about setting standards so low for her students. Also with Dr. Handover, he was laughing at his step son's commentary.  

LOL! Yeah, way to aim low for the students she's teaching. Way to inspire them. What thirteen or fourteen year old dream of that? They're dreaming of making movies. I'm not sure why Dr. Handover is laughing at his stepson's commentary. He finds it hilarious how miserable his stepson is? He's not concerned about the boy? He's not upset at how he's portrayed in the film? Or his stepson airing private issues? Why did the teacher even allow it? She doesn't question her student or talk to his parents? He clearly has issues and airing them the way his isn't a good idea.

Also, Jill's thesis/dissertation is a mess. She seems to be going in for a full defense, but then after everything it seems like it is pre-defense. Yes, can you go into a defense and not be successful and have to rewrite it? Yes, happens all the time, and a grad students worst fear after so long of working on this (Jill's case 5 years). However, we never got why Jill chose these specific professors for her committee. A graduate student CHOOSES who they want as their chair and who to be on the committee. The university doesn't just assign you who they feel is right for you. It's who you FEEL is right for you. Jill going over how much she hated Dr. Handover and I wanted to go: "But you wanted him for your chair, don't complain now."

It really is and it doesn't really seem like they really know what they are saying because they keep switching back and forth. Most likely they never did any research either because it doesn't make any sense. But still if she's going in for a full defense then why isn't that what we are seeing? Why does it end up being pre-defense. Why didn't they wait for the other professors at the end of the episode? Didn't they all had to be there for it? If not then why were they there in the first place. Why did Jill choose these professors and why wasn't one of them Judith? You'd think she would be one of them. Why did she pick Dr. Handover if she hated him? She purposely made it hard on herself or she couldn't find any other professors who she though would go easy on her. That could go either. Jill is always making things harder then it has to be or I can also see given what we see of her making insane theories, over thinking things, bragging about her grades, GPA and etc. that she'd be so much worse or difficult she was in class. But that's a maybe. I don't doubt professors have taught a lot of students just like Jill or worse. But who knows she managed to get the doctor leading the couples therapy sick of her in such a short amount of time maybe she had the same effect on her professors the five years she was there leaving her only these professors.

• Love 2
26 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

LOL! Yeah, way to aim low for the students she's teaching. Way to inspire them. What thirteen or fourteen year old dream of that? They're dreaming of making movies. I'm not sure why Dr. Handover is laughing at his stepson's commentary. He finds it hilarious how miserable his stepson is? He's not concerned about the boy? He's not upset at how he's portrayed in the film? Or his stepson airing private issues? Why did the teacher even allow it? She doesn't question her student or talk to his parents? He clearly has issues and airing them the way his isn't a good idea.

I know because if I saw all that stuff I be going: "Son, we need to talk about this." He was acting more like he has heard this all before and the fact his step son has not only such low self esteem, but to the point he is looking into the military at 14? Um... Ok. Plus, yes, if a school administrator saw that kind of video, I tell you the teacher would have been in the office going: "So, this is how you teach the class? I think we need to talk about your future at this school." 

It really is and it doesn't really seem like they really know what they are saying because they keep switching back and forth. Most likely they never did any research either because it doesn't make any sense. But still if she's going in for a full defense then why isn't that what we are seeing? Why does it end up being pre-defense. Why didn't they wait for the other professors at the end of the episode? Didn't they all had to be there for it? If not then why were they there in the first place. Why did Jill choose these professors and why wasn't one of them Judith? You'd think she would be one of them. Why did she pick Dr. Handover if she hated him? She purposely made it hard on herself or she couldn't find any other professors who she though would go easy on her. That could go either. Jill is always making things harder then it has to be or I can also see given what we see of her making insane theories, over thinking things, bragging about her grades, GPA and etc. that she'd be so much worse or difficult she was in class. But that's a maybe. I don't doubt professors have taught a lot of students just like Jill or worse. But who knows she managed to get the doctor leading the couples therapy sick of her in such a short amount of time maybe she had the same effect on her professors the five years she was there leaving her only these professors.

Yeah, there was so many problems with Jill's defense, plus when she is talking about what her paper is ACTUALLY ABOUT! I wanted to think: "This sounds like something that has been written before." Something about doing dissertations NEVER is one the end all be all of any relationship. Trust me, people are still talking about the post feminine world dealing from people of color to trans gender. Same with engaging readers with books. However, Jill's research sounded like she looked at her own family and the writers basically trying to explain her behavior since season 4. Which would have been thrown out since you CAN'T DO THAT, completely bias research. Yeah, even if HI would have gone on a 9th season, the writers were pretty much showing they were just ready to be done with Jill's schooling. They were bored with it so much, they have her the bottom of the barrow dissertation committee and didn't do any reflection outside that Wilson enjoyed it. 

• Love 2
30 minutes ago, readster said:

I know because if I saw all that stuff I be going: "Son, we need to talk about this." He was acting more like he has heard this all before and the fact his step son has not only such low self esteem, but to the point he is looking into the military at 14? Um... Ok. Plus, yes, if a school administrator saw that kind of video, I tell you the teacher would have been in the office going: "So, this is how you teach the class? I think we need to talk about your future at this school."  

I would be too. Dr. Handover doesn't seemed bothered by it or like its new which given how he's shown to be treated his stepson in the film and how his stepson acts and talks about him in the film. How does he not see its a big deal? Also, has his teacher never talked to her student? Given what he says to Jill and Mark, he's never once made comments to his teacher like that? She's never called his parents to talk to him or maybe just his mother since his stepdad isn't bothered at all? The kid was so worried after his film aired that he was thinking of military school. That's not normal. If a kid is saying stuff like that to a friend, his friend's mother that he just met, and makes a video about it. He clearly is trying to reach out to someone. 

Yeah, there was so many problems with Jill's defense, plus when she is talking about what her paper is ACTUALLY ABOUT! I wanted to think: "This sounds like something that has been written before." Something about doing dissertations NEVER is one the end all be all of any relationship. Trust me, people are still talking about the post feminine world dealing from people of color to trans gender. Same with engaging readers with books. However, Jill's research sounded like she looked at her own family and the writers basically trying to explain her behavior since season 4. Which would have been thrown out since you CAN'T DO THAT, completely bias research. Yeah, even if HI would have gone on a 9th season, the writers were pretty much showing they were just ready to be done with Jill's schooling. They were bored with it so much, they have her the bottom of the barrow dissertation committee and didn't do any reflection outside that Wilson enjoyed it.

It does sound like she's just basing her research on her own family which no you can't do that nor should you. She's too close to make any objective observations and she's basing everything about her thesis on one family. How can she even argue anything or use any data or come to any conclusions when all she's researched is one family? Why hasn't she researched dozens of families to see exactly how the father and son relationship has changed with feminism. What about ones where the father is the stay at home parent and his wife is the breadwinner? Or single fathers? What about different parts of the countries? Different backgrounds, fathers and sons of color, or different cultural backgrounds in the US? I'm not even sure how much focusing on her own family would do anything. Tim lost his father young. So his last six or seven years of being raised were by his mother. I don't mind to a point that her paper is feminism. Its not uncommon for papers. But she doesn't even really go outside any boxes.  She could have picked so many different ideas then what she picked. Nor did we really see her think about what the professor said. Yes, she rewrote it and didn't like it. But she was against the idea, didn't like, and only considered going with it to pass. She never once stops to think of it from a different point of view, considering the mother and son relationship. Its not uncommon for after you've written a paper, story, thesis for someone to ask you something you didn't think or consider. Then stop and think about it and wonder if that would in fact make it better and sometimes that idea ends up being better. But that doesn't even happen. Which is disappointing but not surprising.  It would have been interesting to watch her think about it, debate, consider, etc. 

1 hour ago, andromeda331 said:

I would be too. Dr. Handover doesn't seemed bothered by it or like its new which given how he's shown to be treated his stepson in the film and how his stepson acts and talks about him in the film. How does he not see its a big deal? Also, has his teacher never talked to her student? Given what he says to Jill and Mark, he's never once made comments to his teacher like that? She's never called his parents to talk to him or maybe just his mother since his stepdad isn't bothered at all? The kid was so worried after his film aired that he was thinking of military school. That's not normal. If a kid is saying stuff like that to a friend, his friend's mother that he just met, and makes a video about it. He clearly is trying to reach out to someone. 

Right, and he's suppose to be a psychologist himself, yet he is ignoring own son's cries for help. Plus, when you see a dip in a student or a reoccurring theme, if anything you reach out to the school counselor, which we KNOW that middle school did have. It just rings as: "This kid has some serious issues and no one seems to care?" I also find it odd that Dr. Handover's wife was the real reason why he finally shaved his head saying: "She came at me with hedge clippers if I didn't do something!" So, on the night she CAN'T come to her own son's presentation, but hey as soon as they come home: "Damn you, Alan, I'm going to cut that awful hair myself!" Ummm... huh? I also found it funny the other professors didn't react to it either. I get Jill's situation, especially when it was the next day after. However, the other professors all acted like they didn't see Handover all say and then they didn't go: "Wow! You finally cut that horrible comb over." Too many holes in that story. Especially, when we would see Dr. Handover the next three episodes. 

It does sound like she's just basing her research on her own family which no you can't do that nor should you. She's too close to make any objective observations and she's basing everything about her thesis on one family. How can she even argue anything or use any data or come to any conclusions when all she's researched is one family? Why hasn't she researched dozens of families to see exactly how the father and son relationship has changed with feminism. What about ones where the father is the stay at home parent and his wife is the breadwinner? Or single fathers? What about different parts of the countries? Different backgrounds, fathers and sons of color, or different cultural backgrounds in the US? I'm not even sure how much focusing on her own family would do anything. Tim lost his father young. So his last six or seven years of being raised were by his mother. I don't mind to a point that her paper is feminism. Its not uncommon for papers. But she doesn't even really go outside any boxes.  She could have picked so many different ideas then what she picked. Nor did we really see her think about what the professor said. Yes, she rewrote it and didn't like it. But she was against the idea, didn't like, and only considered going with it to pass. She never once stops to think of it from a different point of view, considering the mother and son relationship. Its not uncommon for after you've written a paper, story, thesis for someone to ask you something you didn't think or consider. Then stop and think about it and wonder if that would in fact make it better and sometimes that idea ends up being better. But that doesn't even happen. Which is disappointing but not surprising.  It would have been interesting to watch her think about it, debate, consider, etc. 

During all the talk and endless amounts of books over season 7-8 never ONCE did we hear about Jill going to conduct any interviews or anything. Yes, we saw her interning and so forth, but when did she interview the families? Something about dissertations, even if they are about just numbers or case studies, which Jill's sounded like was a case studies. They do require research, can the research happen fast? Oh sure, I had a few friends finished their main research in 2 months and then wrote about it as they went and had their main draft completed 2 months later and defended the following month. We just saw Jill complaining and putting her foot in her mouth over and over and then magically she had a finished thesis/dissertation. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, readster said:

Right, and he's suppose to be a psychologist himself, yet he is ignoring own son's cries for help. Plus, when you see a dip in a student or a reoccurring theme, if anything you reach out to the school counselor, which we KNOW that middle school did have. It just rings as: "This kid has some serious issues and no one seems to care?" I also find it odd that Dr. Handover's wife was the real reason why he finally shaved his head saying: "She came at me with hedge clippers if I didn't do something!" So, on the night she CAN'T come to her own son's presentation, but hey as soon as they come home: "Damn you, Alan, I'm going to cut that awful hair myself!" Ummm... huh? I also found it funny the other professors didn't react to it either. I get Jill's situation, especially when it was the next day after. However, the other professors all acted like they didn't see Handover all say and then they didn't go: "Wow! You finally cut that horrible comb over." Too many holes in that story. Especially, when we would see Dr. Handover the next three episodes. 

That's a good point about his mom. She more worried about her husband's hair then her son clearly having issues? It doesn't make sense. Are they both crappy parents who don't give a crap about their son? That's how they come off. The teacher should have picked up on it and told the school counselor who then should have met with all three to find out what's going on. By the end of the episode everything is worked out between him and Jill but no mention of his stepson. He'll take the time to talk things out with Jill but not work things out with his stepson? He can laugh about his hair at the end but still no sign he's going to work things out with his stepson? And yet he's in three more episodes. I didn't think about the other professors but your right they should have had a reaction to his hair cut too. 

During all the talk and endless amounts of books over season 7-8 never ONCE did we hear about Jill going to conduct any interviews or anything. Yes, we saw her interning and so forth, but when did she interview the families? Something about dissertations, even if they are about just numbers or case studies, which Jill's sounded like was a case studies. They do require research, can the research happen fast? Oh sure, I had a few friends finished their main research in 2 months and then wrote about it as they went and had their main draft completed 2 months later and defended the following month. We just saw Jill complaining and putting her foot in her mouth over and over and then magically she had a finished thesis/dissertation

. No, they didn't. All of that would have been interesting. To see her interviewing different families could have been for some really great storyline. Doing research and looking up case stories. Did she learn anything from it? If so what? Did any of the interviews or research challenge or change her thinking?  It would have been more interesting then just hear her talking about it, complaining about it and listening to her not want to change what she wrote. We don't even know what she wrote. Seeing her do the interviews, research and stuff would have made it better when it came to watch her defend what she wrote. We would have been more invested in the outcome because we followed her through it. Seen all the work she did.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

. No, they didn't. All of that would have been interesting. To see her interviewing different families could have been for some really great storyline. Doing research and looking up case stories. Did she learn anything from it? If so what? Did any of the interviews or research challenge or change her thinking?  It would have been more interesting then just hear her talking about it, complaining about it and listening to her not want to change what she wrote. We don't even know what she wrote. Seeing her do the interviews, research and stuff would have made it better when it came to watch her defend what she wrote. We would have been more invested in the outcome because we followed her through it. Seen all the work she did.

It's also like when Bud started making all these changes to Tool Time and Morgan coming in. I mean, there was no follow through with Bud's thinking. He didn't even say why he wanted nothing, but Binford or why he would bring Morgan in. Plus, when they seeing that Tim and Al had to wear plain yellow jump suits for working (which looked horrible), I was even more shocked with Heidi's "thong" bikini. Yeah, it was the late 90s, but unless you clear that with the network, you can't put a woman, who "has a brain" in a string bikini just to get more ratings and take care of horny teens and men. Yeah, I get that they were showing that Morgan just wanted to copy other people's work, but that's the thing about Jerry Springer and all the talk shows that were doing stuff like that in the late 90s early 2000s. The networks were aware of what was going on with the show. Knew that they most likely get swearing, partial nudity, ect. Like we have said before, I know it was the writers trying to give a reason why Tim, Al, Heidi would quit and leave the show. However, it just seemed so extreme, when really when people change things like that. It's slowly. First it's removing a few things, having someone appear more often, do more of the work, slow changes in dress codes, ect. You don't go from 0 to 60 and think everyone is just going to smile and go: "Good job!" 

• Love 1
On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 6:01 AM, readster said:

It's also like when Bud started making all these changes to Tool Time and Morgan coming in. I mean, there was no follow through with Bud's thinking. He didn't even say why he wanted nothing, but Binford or why he would bring Morgan in. Plus, when they seeing that Tim and Al had to wear plain yellow jump suits for working (which looked horrible), I was even more shocked with Heidi's "thong" bikini. Yeah, it was the late 90s, but unless you clear that with the network, you can't put a woman, who "has a brain" in a string bikini just to get more ratings and take care of horny teens and men. Yeah, I get that they were showing that Morgan just wanted to copy other people's work, but that's the thing about Jerry Springer and all the talk shows that were doing stuff like that in the late 90s early 2000s. The networks were aware of what was going on with the show. Knew that they most likely get swearing, partial nudity, ect. Like we have said before, I know it was the writers trying to give a reason why Tim, Al, Heidi would quit and leave the show. However, it just seemed so extreme, when really when people change things like that. It's slowly. First it's removing a few things, having someone appear more often, do more of the work, slow changes in dress codes, ect. You don't go from 0 to 60 and think everyone is just going to smile and go: "Good job!" 

Going slower would have made more sense. Between that and showing Jill interviewing families for her thesis would have made season eight more interesting. If they had sprinkled it throughout season eight it would have helped. And yes they needed to explain why which they never did. Their has to be a reason for all those changes. The show getting killed in ratings, a new tool show that was beating Tool Time, Binford and Tool Time losing money, or were bought out by someone else. There has to be a reason Morgan is brought it. Bud hiring just isn't enough. He either would be brought on to save the show which would explain his plans everything he did are signs a show is going under. Or he had to be some new hot shot executive who managed to do great things with other shows and/or improve their ratings. Binford losing money could have made for interesting TV Tim loved Binford and worked for them for decades. How would he feel that it might be going down? Or maybe it was bought out. Again same thing. I could see him trying really hard to put up with all the changes because he's always been with Binford and has an emotional connection due to John Binford but could still have all three deciding to quit. Or skip Morgan all together and keep Bud as the bad guy. He made all those promises to Tim and never kept a single one and basically stringed him along while making really poor decisions. Maybe he finally has enough and quits. Maybe Bud's the one making bad decisions because he's looking to dump the show or preparing to sell it for big money. Or making decisions based on money that make Tim realize Binford isn't the same company anymore. There's a lot of things they could have done Tim's been with Binford practically his entire adult life, but companies change and since Binford's death they changed so much more. Plus he has kept being promised more from Bud that never happened. He could finally be tired or realized he was being promised stuff that's never going to happen.

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

Or skip Morgan all together and keep Bud as the bad guy. He made all those promises to Tim and never kept a single one and basically stringed him along while making really poor decisions. Maybe he finally has enough and quits. Maybe Bud's the one making bad decisions because he's looking to dump the show or preparing to sell it for big money. Or making decisions based on money that make Tim realize Binford isn't the same company anymore. There's a lot of things they could have done Tim's been with Binford practically his entire adult life, but companies change and since Binford's death they changed so much more. Plus he has kept being promised more from Bud that never happened. He could finally be tired or realized he was being promised stuff that's never going to happen.

That could have worked too. I've worked for people in the past where things were going in a positive direction, but promises weren't kept and then things just kept going more down hill. I believe it was more for the writers not able to use Charles Robinson as much due to his filming schedule. After Ink went under on CBS he was doing various other shows. Plus, I think the writers felt there had been too much work done on Bud over the years and wanted it to be more he decided to just move on. However, his changes never made sense. However, I think it would have made more sense as Tim was so loyal to the company for so long and then to see it turn into a disaster was heart breaking for him.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, readster said:

That could have worked too. I've worked for people in the past where things were going in a positive direction, but promises weren't kept and then things just kept going more down hill. I believe it was more for the writers not able to use Charles Robinson as much due to his filming schedule. After Ink went under on CBS he was doing various other shows. Plus, I think the writers felt there had been too much work done on Bud over the years and wanted it to be more he decided to just move on. However, his changes never made sense. However, I think it would have made more sense as Tim was so loyal to the company for so long and then to see it turn into a disaster was heart breaking for him.

It really could have. Tim was always trying to get Bud to listen to his ideas and Bud always said he was going to listen to him. Promising that things were going to happen but never did. At some point Tim has to realize that is never going to happen. They could have made Bud the bad guy making all those changes or simply the typical CEO more interested in making money and just making promise he never intends to keep just saying stuff to keep Tim on board or something. With Charles Robinson so busy they really should have just brought someone else on and soon her. He could have worked under Bud and still have Bud show up whenever the schedule allowed to be the big boss. Tim was so loyal to the company and loved Binford I could see him trying to stay on even after all the changes, as things kept getting worse because he loves the company and never wanted to work anywhere else. Tim having to make a really hard decision to quit, show him talking it over with Jill instead of the sudden at the end when she's not really listening until the day he quits. They both could be praying things get better while worrying about what they'll do if Tim quits. That could lead Jill to be stressing out on that. What are they going to do for money? He's the only one with a job and it could take awhile to find a new job, worrying about money, worrying about what happens if Brad doesn't get the scholarship they might not be able to afford to pay for college, Brad could be worried and upset he's so close to going to college and until now its always been a certainty that he'll go. Now he might not. Maybe that causes him to try and push himself harder in practice and games trying to get that scholarship and injure his knee. Jill could be trying to get her thesis done as fast as she can and worrying about afterwards. Having to find a job as quickly and that makes enough money to support her family until if Tim can't find a job so. They could have used trouble at Binford to spread into storylines for Tim, Jill and Brad. Maybe Mark too just in general or if Jill and Tim look into jobs outside of Detroit. Instead of being happy to be move he could have been upset. He's finally got a best friend, busy with filming and doesn't want to leave his home. Wilson too maybe he's worried about the Taylor struggles or if they move and wonder what he's going to do without them around maybe he considers taking a teaching job at one of the colleges, marrying Judith, traveling again or maybe both. Maybe he decides to write a book about all the places he's been and people he's met. Al could be worrying about what he's going to do. Things are going great with Trudy but now he could be looking for a new job and worrying about his relationship with Trudy, they just started dating and its going great but if he can't find a job or gets offered somewhere else worrying about asking her to move. They really could have built all of season eight around that and given or improved the storylines they had for everyone. Jill could still have her surgery. Maybe she goes in for a routine exam or goes in case they end up not having insurance for awhile to get checked out and find the cysts. Marty could be worried since he's always gone to Tim for help, money and is currently staying with them. Maybe that could finally give him the kick in the pants he needs to find a job and start supporting and taking care of himself and his kids.

• Love 1
On 2/10/2019 at 1:01 PM, andromeda331 said:

Tim having to make a really hard decision to quit, show him talking it over with Jill instead of the sudden at the end when she's not really listening until the day he quits. They both could be praying things get better while worrying about what they'll do if Tim quits. That could lead Jill to be stressing out on that. What are they going to do for money?

That what was so inconstant with Jill. She wanted Tim to listen to her problems and read her mind on what she was feeling. However, when Tim needed Jill to listen or understand he was having problems. It was: "Oh, whatever, I don't care, that's your problems, Tim. I'M MORE IMPORTANT. Haven't you been listening to how I moved 8 times growing up the past 20 years?" The time Jill did listen is when Tim kept jumping to Bud's orders, which, yes, Jill was very in the right. However, the times when Tim was going through his "mid life" crisis or his work starting to degrade it was: "Oh well, get over it, hey! I need to go get a piano I can't play, but it has memories to it. I'm off to talk to my cousin everyone else in the family avoids." 

• Love 1
On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 12:10 PM, readster said:

That what was so inconstant with Jill. She wanted Tim to listen to her problems and read her mind on what she was feeling. However, when Tim needed Jill to listen or understand he was having problems. It was: "Oh, whatever, I don't care, that's your problems, Tim. I'M MORE IMPORTANT. Haven't you been listening to how I moved 8 times growing up the past 20 years?" The time Jill did listen is when Tim kept jumping to Bud's orders, which, yes, Jill was very in the right. However, the times when Tim was going through his "mid life" crisis or his work starting to degrade it was: "Oh well, get over it, hey! I need to go get a piano I can't play, but it has memories to it. I'm off to talk to my cousin everyone else in the family avoids." 

It really was. She was very inconstant to the point the Jill comes off like she expects Tim to listen to all her problems and always read her mind on what she's feeling and what she wants but Jill doesn't have to do the same thing for Tim. Its a weird inconstancy the show has with her. For example the Chicago trip now Tim and Al have been working hard to come with ideas that would attract Chicago viewers. That's very important to their job, their show and to grow their show. Jill complains and is unhappy because he's too busy to have sex with her. I get relationships are important. But Jill always seems to pick times when he's busy. Reverse the situations and what do you think Jill would have said if Tim had been the one complaining and unhappy because of no sex? She would have yelled at him. She does nothing to help him through his midlife crisis but she can have one about her old piano that she can't play. When he's trying to keep the hardware store they bought afloat she's upset because their time together is interrupted again. Sure she claims he's working so hard but she doesn't do anything to help, like taking over some of the shifts since she has no job, helping to come up with ideas on how to bring customers into the store did she really want them to lose all that money? There's also the episode when Harry has a heart attack Tim naturally flips out but she keeps acting like she doesn't understand why and he's just being crazy. Ah, his father died suddenly when he was eleven of course he's going to freak out when one of his best friends has a heart attack. Its scary and its going to remind him of losing his father so suddenly. Other times it just seems like Jill would be exhausting because she always wants to talk about her feelings, how she feels about this and that, how she feels about her childhood, how she feels about every single thing.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

Sure she claims he's working so hard but she doesn't do anything to help, like taking over some of the shifts since she has no job, helping to come up with ideas on how to bring customers into the store did she really want them to lose all that money? There's also the episode when Harry has a heart attack Tim naturally flips out but she keeps acting like she doesn't understand why and he's just being crazy. Ah, his father died suddenly when he was eleven of course he's going to freak out when one of his best friends has a heart attack. Its scary and its going to remind him of losing his father so suddenly. Other times it just seems like Jill would be exhausting because she always wants to talk about her feelings, how she feels about this and that, how she feels about her childhood, how she feels about every single thing.

That's very true. Something too by the end of the series, Jill has NO FRIENDS at all. Her classmate is gone, after they spent all of season 6-7 building her up. She is just gone. Everyone else has moved away. The issues that Jill SHOULD be dealing with, she doesn't. She instead tries to see things that aren't there or panics over the smallest things. Yet, yells at Tim or the boys when they get upset over things that ARE a big deal. Yet, to Jill it all pales in compare with her life and how she grew up.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, readster said:

That's very true. Something too by the end of the series, Jill has NO FRIENDS at all. Her classmate is gone, after they spent all of season 6-7 building her up. She is just gone. Everyone else has moved away. 

No, she doesn't. Her friends keep disappearing. I always wondered if they get tired of Jill's wanting to talk about her childhood, being so needy bragging about how smart she is, if she tried to "fix" or diagnosis them since going back to school or they disagree with her or her never being wrong or all the above. It could easily be any or all those reasons that she loses friends.

The issues that Jill SHOULD be dealing with, she doesn't. She instead tries to see things that aren't there or panics over the smallest things. Yet, yells at Tim or the boys when they get upset over things that ARE a big deal. Yet, to Jill it all pales in compare with her life and how she grew up.

Exactly. She is always panicking or worry over the littlest things or thinking she and Tim need to discuss things that aren't important. Like whether Mark should get contacts. Really? She doesn't know her on well enough to know if he's going to constantly lose them or not? Or worrying over her parents fighting over Christmas. Her mother was just venting and Tim tells her stay out of it because they'll end up mad at her. She doesn't and they do. Worrying that Brad might be having sex and how he treats girls but not worried at all him possibly losing his soccer scholarship. Worrying about the vasectomy, are things so dire that Tim has to get it right then and there rather then giving Tim a few weeks or so to think about it? She hears Randy almost gets beaten up and doesn't get upset about some boy almost hurting her son. Not listening to problems at Binford even thought it pays for everything. 

7 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

. Worrying that Brad might be having sex and how he treats girls but not worried at all him possibly losing his soccer scholarship. Worrying about the vasectomy, are things so dire that Tim has to get it right then and there rather then giving Tim a few weeks or so to think about it? She hears Randy almost gets beaten up and doesn't get upset about some boy almost hurting her son. Not listening to problems at Binford even thought it pays for everything. 

Same with Mark, yes, her sudden change to Goth and Ronny. If Jill was that worried about him, she be calling the school or vice versa when you have that big of a change over the summer. First Jill just thinks that Mark is just confused, but then goes into full thinking that Mark wants to kill her and Tim. The horror movie bothers me because for a number of reasons. First of all, Wilson and Al being super wise would have been: "Mark are you sure you want to depict your parents like this? You sound like you HATE them." Oh no, they just roll with it. Then add in when they see that Mark is using a real blade, I be more of: "Mark, I know it looks great, but sorry if you or Ronny slip or I move wrong, someone is going to get hurt." Oh no, just go into panic mode or Mark's: "It looks better" excuse. For a kid that seem to find his passion for filming, you had to hit Mark up with a lot of reality at times. Especially in the final season when people were getting pissed at his films. Of course, when you look at it, Mark couldn't buy a clue. Then he was: "Oh, I guess I did go to far." Yeah, Mark there is being passionate and then there is being more oblivious than your father at times. 

41 minutes ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

Laff just showed the episode where Tim and Jill did karaoke.

I love that scene. Its a great scene and I love any and all scenes where you really see Jill and Tim really do love each other and have fun together. 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I love that scene. Its a great scene and I love any and all scenes where you really see Jill and Tim really do love each other and have fun together. 

You can just really tell that Tim and Patricia had great chemistry on the show together.

• Love 1
On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 5:46 AM, readster said:

Same with Mark, yes, her sudden change to Goth and Ronny. If Jill was that worried about him, she be calling the school or vice versa when you have that big of a change over the summer. First Jill just thinks that Mark is just confused, but then goes into full thinking that Mark wants to kill her and Tim. The horror movie bothers me because for a number of reasons. First of all, Wilson and Al being super wise would have been: "Mark are you sure you want to depict your parents like this? You sound like you HATE them." Oh no, they just roll with it. Then add in when they see that Mark is using a real blade, I be more of: "Mark, I know it looks great, but sorry if you or Ronny slip or I move wrong, someone is going to get hurt." Oh no, just go into panic mode or Mark's: "It looks better" excuse. For a kid that seem to find his passion for filming, you had to hit Mark up with a lot of reality at times. Especially in the final season when people were getting pissed at his films. Of course, when you look at it, Mark couldn't buy a clue. Then he was: "Oh, I guess I did go to far." Yeah, Mark there is being passionate and then there is being more oblivious than your father at times. 

Exactly, you'd think if she was worried she would do that. Call the school, talk to the guidance counselor, try talking to him or get him to see a therapist. She thinks she's the world's greatest therapist. But when her son suddenly becomes Goth she doesn't do anything except talk to Tim. She doesn't check in with him, ask if it has anything to do with the death of his grandpa and how he's dealing with it or talk to him about Goth what about it he finds interesting, likes or relates too. Talk to him about filming, what he likes about it, different films he wants to make or inspired by. She could have gotten answers by just talking to him. But instead does nothing until the horror movie where she decides he wants to kill them. I mean really? Why does she think that? Its a horror movie. Does she think everyone who does a horror movie wants to kill people? Stephen King wanted to terrorize people at a hotel or kill everyone at prom? Some people love to be scared or find it fun. I do agree its odd that Mark wants to use a real blade and questioning him on that is a good idea. No one uses real weapons in movies. They may look as close as possible but their all fake. A slip of the hand or something and his dad is really dead. If he wanted it to look real then just show a couple swings with it and then cut away to scene of Tim dead with blood. That would have worked too.

Mark really was upset when Tim didn't like the film he did for him. He gets mad but later says well I did go far. Ah, what? Then why did he get so upset? Why was he surprised by everyone's reaction especially his dad's? Tim thought he was getting something similar to what Mark did for Brad and Mark knew that. So why did he do something completely different and was surprised that no one liked it. Its the same when he record his family without knowing it and didn't understand why his mother was so upset (seriously Brad should have been too) and thinks it doesn't matter because she gave him permission to film him. Yes, she probably did but he knows very well it wasn't to record her venting about a professor or anything time that she wasn't aware he was filming. He acts like its no big deal. He could have seriously got his mother in trouble. I kind of wished Jill got back at him by secretly recording him when he was ranting about school, teachers and stuff. Played it for him and asked how he felt about being recorded without his knowledge and how he'd feel if she played it for his classroom? He's clueless but he also never learns from it which he should because he's in the 8th grade.

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

So, I just happened to find this on Archive.org a few minutes ago:

https://archive.org/details/home-improvement-couch-episodes-spring-1993-to-finale-tape

It was uploaded a few weeks ago, but found this now. Looks like it's one of the early seasons too, maybe Season 1 or something like that.

Yeah, its from season two Heavy Metal when Tim invites a few of his friends over to help on the hot rod and Jill hijacks it to set up Karen with his friend. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, andromeda331 said:

Yeah, its from season two Heavy Metal when Tim invites a few of his friends over to help on the hot rod and Jill hijacks it to set up Karen with his friend. 

Okay then. I wasn't really sure if it was Season 1 or not, but did use the Season 1 intro from the looks of it.

• Love 1
On 2/26/2019 at 11:20 AM, andromeda331 said:

That was a funny episode, but at the same time, Jill just couldn't catch a clue. Why they then decided to run with that trait over the years was beyond me. It didn't show Jill funny, showed her damn selfish. 

6 hours ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

That's great! There's also https://www.springfieldspringfield.co.uk/episode_scripts.php?tv-show=home-improvement

which is free and you can read the scripts online. They also have scripts for tons of other shows. But the only downside is they don't list who's saying what line so you have to know the episode really well.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

That's great! There's also https://www.springfieldspringfield.co.uk/episode_scripts.php?tv-show=home-improvement

which is free and you can read the scripts online. They also have scripts for tons of other shows. But the only downside is they don't list who's saying what line so you have to know the episode really well.

I know that site really well as a matter of fact!

I also found this:

http://www.hiarchive.co.uk/index.php?content=scriptlist&s=all

Doesn't have all of the episodes though.

• Love 1
On 1/21/2019 at 9:08 AM, readster said:

that most teachers don't start work until the second or third day of school.

Teachers have to be there the first day of school, and in fact are usually there the week before school starts setting up their classroom. My sister is a teacher and she would think it's pretty funny that people think she's not there on the first day.  Do the kids run around wild?  

I had a friend get detention the first day of school which she had to serve the second day (they gave a one day notice so that parents could arrange for rides home) but that was the '80s, not the '90s.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Katy M said:

Teachers have to be there the first day of school, and in fact are usually there the week before school starts setting up their classroom. My sister is a teacher and she would think it's pretty funny that people think she's not there on the first day.  Do the kids run around wild?  

I had a friend get detention the first day of school which she had to serve the second day (they gave a one day notice so that parents could arrange for rides home) but that was the '80s, not the '90s.

I'm a teacher myself. In fact, we don't do any type of detention until at least the second week. Need time to have teachers in place, to get a real first few days under our belts and usually first days for most schools are half days. If there is a major problem, detention is not given until at least 2 days later after the first day and we are very strict on students serving.

8 minutes ago, readster said:

I'm a teacher myself. In fact, we don't do any type of detention until at least the second week. Need time to have teachers in place, to get a real first few days under our belts and usually first days for most schools are half days. If there is a major problem, detention is not given until at least 2 days later after the first day and we are very strict on students serving.

It probably differs from school to school.  I've never gone to school and had teachers not be there on the first day.  And, I've also never had half days for a first day. Though we usually started on Wed, so our first week was a half week.

The only thing I find really weird is the school not notifying the parents.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Katy M said:

7 hours ago, readster said:

My schools it was rare for them to give detention the first day or even the first week. But there were exceptions. Knowing Tim its easy to see how he could end up with it on the first day. 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Katy M said:

The only thing I find really weird is the school not notifying the parents.

That part is really weird. Schools always call to notify the parents. Not that kids couldn't get around it if they knew when the school would be calling. Which a lot of kids did. Especially ones who got detention would know say their school would always call before four pm and intercept the call. Like on Sister, Sister when the twins wait around for the phone call and intercept it. Then of course the straight A twin blurts it out to their parents. Or if their school did written notes first and the call if they got more detention like my school did. Which I always thought was stupid because most of them just signed it themselves. But even if Randy knew what time his school would call there's still the big chance of Jill or Tim being home at the time to answer the phone. Jill wasn't working then although there was a chance she could be in class. Tim was usually home in the afternoon. Randy still could have tried to intercept the call by claiming he was waiting for a friend to call. But still risky.  

• Love 1