Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
CuriousParker

Holiday Baking Championship

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, trudysmom said:

I don't know her name, big round glasses girl, some of her stuff is kinda iffy and she's squints when she smiles...anyway, she talks so darn fast I can hardly understand her.  Something about the rest of them all rub me the wrong way so I'm rooting for Geoffrey, which, sadly will be the kiss of death because the person I like hardly ever wins. 

Amen to this! Melissa does speak so rapidly that it annoys me. I, too, am rooting for Geoffrey but I’d also be ok with Jennifer (is she the one with the long dark hair) winning. So, yes, we just jinxed poor Geoffrey! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I couldn't believe Dwight's igloo.   He gets all of the neat stuff, and the dome cake pan from winning the pre-heat (or whatever it's called), and he turns out something that looks very amateur.    And no door in the igloo!    He should have made a little door, with an arch, and put a cute little penguin standing there or something.   

  • Like 4
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

 I find Sarah as annoying as anyone but I was surprised by her complete bitchface when after she and Jennifer were named the the top 2 and then Jennifer won the challenge..

  • Like 8
  • Laugh 5

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, hcs said:

 I find Sarah as annoying as anyone but I was surprised by her complete bitchface when after she and Jennifer were named the the top 2 and then Jennifer won the challenge..

I saw that reaction too.  I have a feeling that the other bakers find her annoying.  They don’t seem to banter with Sarah as much as with one another.  Only Cedric did.  I’d have noise-cancelling headphones on and give her a very wide berth if she was in my kitchen.

  • Like 8
  • Useful 1
  • Laugh 5

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, hcs said:

 I find Sarah as annoying as anyone but I was surprised by her complete bitchface when after she and Jennifer were named the the top 2 and then Jennifer won the challenge..

That face was an “if looks could kill” face, wasn’t it?

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

Dwight winning the preheat with his accidental “smacarons” made me laugh.

I wish Sarah would stop making figures because her “look at how cute they are wid their little feetses” drives me bonkers.  And Duff continues to encourage her!

I saw a little bit of Maeve’s season when it was on the other day and when she said she loved the smell of peppermint the look on her face sent chills down my spine four years and thousands of miles later.  Was she like that the whole time?

Edited by mojoween
  • Like 3
  • Laugh 5

Share this post


Link to post

On ‎12‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 6:48 PM, littlebennysmom said:

Watching the 2015 HBC marathon that's running before tonight's new episode.  The contestants were quite memorable -- Adalberto was robbed!  Robbed, I tell you!  Though Maeve would have most likely stabbed him to death in front of our very eyes.  Girl was INTENSE!

See, I thought Adalberto was the judges' pet, and I was so glad he didn't win.

I don't like Melissa, but her igloo cake was okay.  Not great, but good enough to stay in the competition.  Dwight's was an absolute mess and apparently didn't taste all that good, so he was the right choice to eliminate.  Plus, no way he should've won the first challenge - he absolutely did not make macarons.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, dleighg said:

That's Melissa. Lots of tats on her arms. I actually like her, and because I'm from the NY area I can understand the fast talk 🙂

I give her a lot of credit for being pregnant and still managing to outrun some of the other contestants to the podium to pick up stuff...LOL!

  • Like 3
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
43 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Dwight's was an absolute mess and apparently didn't taste all that good, so he was the right choice to eliminate.  Plus, no way he should've won the first challenge - he absolutely did not make macarons.

I was surprised they let that slide.  So often on these shows you hear "If you promise us ____, you need to deliver"

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, mojoween said:

I saw a little bit of Maeve’s season when it was on the other day and when she said she loved the smell of peppermint the look on her face sent chills down my spine four years and thousands of miles later.  Was she like that the whole time?

IMO Yes.  I didn't like her at all and I got sick of hearing her reference her Irish heritage in every other sentence.  I'm part Irish myself but I don't feel it necessary to announce it constantly.  She was on BBF a year or two later (despite her supposedly terminal kidney disease) and she acted exactly the same.  

I watched the first rerun.  I thought Lerome was a sweetheart but I liked Steve's cake better.  I ended up muting the second rerun because I was annoyed again by Naylet (or whatever her name is) and I didn't like the way she treated Bill plus I remembered that I'd thought Adelberto and Steve should have won and didn't.

Jesse Palmer has really grown in his role as host and I'm happy to see him now.  He seems a lot more comfortable than he did at first and I enjoy the way he interacts with the contestants.  From the way they fool around with him, I'd guess that they all like him too.

Edited by mlp · Reason: add to comment
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

That face was an “if looks could kill” face, wasn’t it?

I think she is one of those over the top, cutesy, smiling people who is a back stabber and absolutely cut throat in reality. 

3 hours ago, mojoween said:

I wish Sarah would stop making figures because her “look at how cute they are wid their little feetses” drives me bonkers.  And Duff continues to encourage her!

How can Duff not find it annoying? 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

I really disliked that Dwight won the pre-heat with the Smackarons.     They were obviously a failed baking attempt.      Duff probably is immune to smarmy, over the top contestants that pretend to be adorable, after Maeve, Erin, and the others who act like they love everything about the contest.  

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

On 12/3/2019 at 9:35 AM, BusyOctober said:

OMG!  Me too!  I've never liked panetone, but I fear I will always associate it with Sarah's pronunciation....PAN-a-TONE, and "calm-pOHt" (compote).

For me it's on the level of Nancy's pronunciation of non pareil as "non parell" and the general basterdization of rugalach.

Edited by Brookside
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I liked Nancy for a moment because I also grew up making snowballs wearing homemade knitted mittens.  But then she rolled her eyes to the heavens and "sang".

  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, Brookside said:

I liked Nancy for a moment because I also grew up making snowballs wearing homemade knitted mittens.  But then she rolled her eyes to the heavens and "sang".

I will admit that she looks prettier this season than she has in the past.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Brookside said:

the general basterdization of rugalach.

Every time someone on the show says it, I hear "arugula".

Maybe on a Chopped dessert round ...

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post

I think everybody pretty much screwed up the preheat last episode so Dwight's was the best of the bunch (and besides, anything that doesn't give Sarah a win is fine with me!).

  • Like 3
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

Nancy: "If I did anything differently I would have had a little more sugar".

Grammar's not your strong point is it Nancy?

Would one of the show's producers please make a decision about how to pronounce panattone?

The host might find a man-bra helpful.

Edited by Brookside
  • Like 1
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
19 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

I will admit that she looks prettier this season than she has in the past.

I for one, LOVE Nancy and I love her cutesy friendship with the host Jessie.  I kinda agree with other posters--why not just give Jessie his own plate and fork but enh, it's the holidays, it's fun, why not.

As far as Dwight goes, IDK I liked him enough but to me his heart never really seemed into baking.  It's difficult for me to describe but he always seems to just wing it or do the bare minimum to get by. 

On 12/11/2019 at 8:21 AM, mojoween said:

I wish Sarah would stop making figures because her “look at how cute they are wid their little feetses” drives me bonkers.

IKR?!  She is sooo impressed with her stupid penguins and gingerbread men--GAH get over yourself.  Oh and I saw that little face she gave too when Jennifer won the challenge. 

On 12/11/2019 at 9:48 AM, RoxiP said:

That's Melissa. Lots of tats on her arms. I actually like her, and because I'm from the NY area I can understand the fast talk 🙂

I like Melissa too but my spidey senses are telling me she's the next to go and it will be Jennifer, Geoffery, and Sarah in the final 3.  Speaking of Melissa did anyone notice that she keeps calling her boyfriend her partner?  And I may be crazy but I think she addresses him in the past tense...did something happen there?? 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Dirtybubble said:

I like Melissa too but my spidey senses are telling me she's the next to go and it will be Jennifer, Geoffery, and Sarah in the final 3.  Speaking of Melissa did anyone notice that she keeps calling her boyfriend her partner?  And I may be crazy but I think she addresses him in the past tense...did something happen there??

She's called him that since the beginning. She mentioned in the first episode she hoped to win the grand prize so they could afford a wedding.

  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

I like Sarah - I enjoy her delight in the things she makes.  It makes a great change from some of the negative attitudes you often see on these shows - that being there is such a burden and how dare they ask them decorate a cake!  I am also from Upstate NY and love hear the accent.   People really do talk like that.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/11/2019 at 4:18 PM, Brookside said:

The host might find a man-bra helpful.

You mean Manzierre, or a Bro? Sorry for the obscure Seinfeld reference. 

  • Like 3
  • Laugh 5

Share this post


Link to post
19 hours ago, bkathi said:

I like Sarah - I enjoy her delight in the things she makes.  It makes a great change from some of the negative attitudes you often see on these shows - that being there is such a burden and how dare they ask them decorate a cake!  I am also from Upstate NY and love hear the accent.   People really do talk like that.

I don't like the negative attitudes (and fighting) either, part of the reason I stopped watching Masterchef.  I  think behind her cutesy facade lays a viper waiting to strike. I think she is very calculating and trying to win this "game". Not that there is anything wrong wanting to win, but I don't think her act is genuine. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Like 8
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post

One thing I don't like about these shows, any of these competition shows, is when someone says so-and-so is my biggest competition.  It only takes one bad bake to send anyone packing, no one is safe until the end.

Edited by trudysmom · Reason: Grammar matters, thing, not think.
  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/13/2019 at 5:20 PM, trudysmom said:

One thing I don't like about these shows, any of these competition shows, is when someone says so-and-so is my biggest competition.  It only takes one bad bake to send anyone packing, no one is safe until the end.

But you have to think that most of what you're seeing is producer-driven.  No one comes up with that on their own, their talking heads are "coached".

  • Like 7
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, springbarb said:

I'm usually not into the overly cutesy and peppy contestants, but I like Sarah.

She's growing on me. And she's clearly very talented.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/11/2019 at 11:43 AM, libgirl2 said:
  On 12/11/2019 at 12:49 AM, LittleIggy said:

That face was an “if looks could kill” face, wasn’t it?

I think she is one of those over the top, cutesy, smiling people who is a back stabber and absolutely cut throat in reality. 

 

That is what I think about Jason (Smith?). I have a hunch his “aw shucks, good-old-boy” persona hides someone who is a nightmare in the kitchen when things go sideways.

  • Like 5
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

Sarah is wrong.  The hardest thing about making her making cheesecake is me not reaching through the screen to wring her neck every time she says PEE-CAN.  Is there some reason she has to use PEE-CANS every single episode?

I have to say I disagree with the judges that this was the best final four ever, but I don't taste the food, so what do I know?  The decorating skills of the final four was pretty sub-par compared to past seasons.

  • Like 12
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post

Since when do chocolate and key lime not go together? Jennifer got lucky. That cheesecake was a mess.

Edited by Maya
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

I am miffed at Geoffrey. That was one of the ugliest, sloppiest cheesecakes I’ve ever seen. I know he is not as into decorating as the others, but come on, this is for a ticket to the final! I knew when he was piping on that horrible meringue that it was over for him. 
Please, baking gods, let Jennifer or Melissa win. I cannot and will not watch any FN show that they put Sarah on. She is a million times more irritating for me than cornpone Jason is. 

Edited by Spunkygal
  • Like 20

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

I am miffed at Geoffrey. That was one of the ugliest, sloppiest cheesecakes I’ve ever seen. I know he is not as into decorating as the others, but come on, this is for a ticket to the final! I knew when he was piping on that horrible meringue that it was over for him. 
Please, baking gods, let Jennifer or Melissa win. I cannot and will not watch any FN show that they put Sarah on. She is a million times more irritating for me than cornpone Jason is. 

Geoffrey seemed over confident, though if I knew another contestant was going to combine hot cocoa with mint to go with her key lime cheesecake, I would feel like I could thaw a Sara Lee and still get into the final.

Chocolate and key lime aren't mutually exclusive, but Jennifer's lazy oat crust (which turned out soggy) should have gotten her eliminated.

  • Like 5
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post

Man those were 4 ugly cheesecakes. 

This was one of the first episodes I’ve ever seen in which the advantage from the pre-heat actually mattered. Sarah gave the oat crust to someone who almost got eliminated for it while her graham crust got high praise. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

The best final four ever...really? I don't like Sarah and she seemed especially annoying tonight, but maybe I was just actually paying attention. I can't believe they didn't question her green ice.

I like Melissa and thought hers was pretty cute.

Damn it, Geoffrey. I was rooting for him. But overall I'm not really excited by any of the ones left. It just seems like a pretty forgettable season.

Sarah seems like the frontrunner but on this show, finale surprises do happen.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

On 12/15/2019 at 9:54 PM, Rammchick said:

But you have to think that most of what you're seeing is producer-driven.  No one comes up with that on their own, their talking heads are "coached".

"Who would you say is your biggest competition at this point?"
"Oh everyone is so talented, any one of them could win."
"But if you had to name someone, who would you guess?"
"I guess ... probably so-and-so."
"OK great, but remember we need an answer in the form of a complete sentence. Go again."

"I would say so-and-so is my biggest competition at this point."

  • Like 7
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Melissa’s “ice” looked like ice on a frozen pond, Lorraine, unlike Sarah’s which was  GREEN! 🙄 Was it a frozen algae filled pond? 

I noticed that myself and wondered why no one called it out.  Maybe it didn't look so green in person? It definitely looked unappetizing.

And I agree with everyone that this season, compared to previous seasons, was severely lacking.  I'd like to see them go up against Joshua.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Melissa’s “ice” looked like ice on a frozen pond, Lorraine, unlike Sarah’s which was  GREEN! 🙄 Was it a frozen algae filled pond? 

Green lakes are ones formed by glaciers - which explains a lot of the topography of the the northern part of the US.  Also she said her Dad would turn their yard into a skating pond - so ice over grass.  Again, a big part of upstate NY childhood.

  • Like 8
  • Useful 3
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, Frost said:

The hardest thing about making her making cheesecake is me not reaching through the screen to wring her neck every time she says PEE-CAN. 

The PEE-CAN I can forgive, but lordy her accent (NewYork?) drove me nuts.  The nasally way she pronounced "cherries" and "bars", just grated on me. I have an accent, heck sometimes I sound like Jason I'm so southern and back country, so I'd probably be just as irritating.  But that whiny through her nose thing, ugh.  Also, no one is that happy all the darn time.  She definitely took a page from Erin's over the top playbook. 

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, bkathi said:

Green lakes are ones formed by glaciers - which explains a lot of the topography of the the northern part of the US.  Also she said her Dad would turn their yard into a skating pond - so ice over grass.  Again, a big part of upstate NY childhood.

A frozen pond in the backyard for skating is also a big thing in Michigan, and the ice is always a cloudy bluish white.  If you can see the grass underneath, it isn't thick enough to skate on.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post

I am fine with all three finalists. Sarah is perky to the nth degree but she's clearly very talented. (Though I too was wondering what was going on with the green ice rink). I was glad to see Melissa pull it together. 

I am excited to see that the finale is three women, all of whom are pretty talented bakers.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

And of course, Miss PistAAAchio made what?  PistAAAchio tart.  It's almost like she's having fun with us now.

How come only Jennifer hugged Geoffrey when he left?  And how could Duff possibly say that these were the most talented final four they've ever had?  Not even close to being true.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, bkathi said:

Green lakes are ones formed by glaciers - which explains a lot of the topography of the the northern part of the US.  Also she said her Dad would turn their yard into a skating pond - so ice over grass.  Again, a big part of upstate NY childhood.

Well that’s some amazing grass to stay THAT green during winter! I live in north Texas and our yards are now more brown with a few green springs. I want to know what fertilizer Papa Sarah uses!

  • Like 6
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
39 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

Well that’s some amazing grass to stay THAT green during winter! I live in north Texas and our yards are now more brown with a few green springs. I want to know what fertilizer Papa Sarah uses!

(North Texan here also) - exactly what I was thinking!  The only thing green in my yard right now is the weird weeds.

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Rammchick said:

And of course, Miss PistAAAchio made what?  PistAAAchio tart.  It's almost like she's having fun with us now.

How come only Jennifer hugged Geoffrey when he left?  And how could Duff possibly say that these were the most talented final four they've ever had?  Not even close to being true.

Yeah but I guess he had to say that.  If one of the judges said meh this group is just ok I guess...LOL!  Every reality competition show I've watched the judges HAVE to say this is the best top 4/top 3 we've ever had no matter how mediocre they are.

2 hours ago, trudysmom said:

The PEE-CAN I can forgive, but lordy her accent (NewYork?) drove me nuts.  The nasally way she pronounced "cherries" and "bars", just grated on me. I have an accent, heck sometimes I sound like Jason I'm so southern and back country, so I'd probably be just as irritating.  But that whiny through her nose thing, ugh.  Also, no one is that happy all the darn time.  She definitely took a page from Erin's over the top playbook. 

Ok glad it wasn't just me.  It's not simply her accent, something about her personality just bugs me to no end.  I'm disappointed in Geoffery as well.  I was sure he would make it to the final 3 but gah that cheesecake was hideous.  Honestly Jennifer's was just as fug though, the girl on the cake was amateurish and making the trees smaller than the girl was just stupid. 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post

I'm just boggled at the lack of decorating skills this season.  Anyone that wants to run a bakery needs to be able to decorate, don't they?  Isn't a big percentage of food enjoyment visual?  Especially for something that would be considered an expensive treat!  I mean, who cares if meatloaf isn't beautiful, but a baker crafted dessert?  I feel absolutely flummoxed.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
47 minutes ago, Frost said:

I'm just boggled at the lack of decorating skills this season.  Anyone that wants to run a bakery needs to be able to decorate, don't they?  Isn't a big percentage of food enjoyment visual?  Especially for something that would be considered an expensive treat!  I mean, who cares if meatloaf isn't beautiful, but a baker crafted dessert?  I feel absolutely flummoxed.

I'm guessing that the time constraints and the overall stress of being on a TV show are the problem.  They might be perfectly able to execute beautiful decorations at home or in their bakeries, but throw someone into an unfamiliar kitchen, in a studio and under bright lights, and all bets are off.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Frost said:

I'm just boggled at the lack of decorating skills this season.  Anyone that wants to run a bakery needs to be able to decorate, don't they?  Isn't a big percentage of food enjoyment visual?  Especially for something that would be considered an expensive treat!  I mean, who cares if meatloaf isn't beautiful, but a baker crafted dessert?  I feel absolutely flummoxed.

That’s why I’m excited about the re-boot of Food Network Challenge even though it’s hosted by one of those 90210 guys. That was some REAL talent back in the day and that’s where I became aware of the awesome Kerry Vincent. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Dirtybubble said:

Yeah but I guess he had to say that.  If one of the judges said meh this group is just ok I guess...LOL!  Every reality competition show I've watched the judges HAVE to say this is the best top 4/top 3 we've ever had no matter how mediocre they are.

Yes, I have seen that on so many competition shows even when it is apparent they are no where near the best. 

1 hour ago, Rammchick said:

I'm guessing that the time constraints and the overall stress of being on a TV show are the problem.  They might be perfectly able to execute beautiful decorations at home or in their bakeries, but throw someone into an unfamiliar kitchen, in a studio and under bright lights, and all bets are off.

I can see the stress and time constraints being an issue, but sometimes you have a contestant who outright says the aren't great decorators. I do prefer something that tastes good (something home made maybe) but if I'm paying for it, it should look nice too. 

51 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

That’s why I’m excited about the re-boot of Food Network Challenge even though it’s hosted by one of those 90210 guys. That was some REAL talent back in the day and that’s where I became aware of the awesome Kerry Vincent. 

Why in the heck is he hosting this? he is the last person I expected to see on this network. Does he cook? Does he bake? 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size