Type keyword(s) to search

Holiday Baking Championship - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 12/2/2019 at 8:57 PM, littlebennysmom said:

Two bakers, Dwight and Janet, chose vanilla cupcakes?  Couldn't believe it, but then thought they were being strategic -- you never know when the mid challenge twist will be "incorporate cloves!" or "include wasabi!"

I think Dwight's vanilla was likely strategic, thinking whatever the twist was would go with it. Janet, on the other hand, I suspect genuinely thought the whole "sour cream" thing made it different enough as to not be completely boring. She's wrong, and got dinged for boring choices before, but I think she just kinda missed the boat a bit.

• Love 6
12 hours ago, springbarb said:

I couldn't believe Dwight's train of thought--he said that he isn't good at decorating so he was going to...make a vanilla cupcake.

I was thinking - how much extra time does it take to flavor a cupcake? 

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
On 12/3/2019 at 4:32 AM, BigBingerBro said:

I know that pull-apart cupcake designs are trendy, but pairing it with Chistmas pajamas was just too much.  Some of them took the challenge way too literally (looking at Sara).  I'm surprised that none of them actually tried wearing the pajamas (besides Jesse).

It was interesting that they added the "no bread pudding" restriction.  Did they really think that the majority of them would have done that?

Pull-apart cupcakes ... is that still a thing?  Yeah it was super trendy a few years ago but this is 2019 people!  lol

I'm sure it's difficult thinking on your feet but when the challenge is to use something as your "inspiration" and then simply recreate it exactly using colored frosting and fondant... that really doesn't work for me.

I actually thought it was hilarious that they said NO BREAD PUDDING.  I wish they'd also said NO FRENCH TOAST (or, when you're pretending to be fancy, PAIN PERDUE.)  It's just such a cop out... maybe not super common on the Baking Championship shows but it comes up all the time on Chopped.

• Love 7
6 minutes ago, ruffy666 said:

I actually thought it was hilarious that they said NO BREAD PUDDING.  I wish they'd also said NO FRENCH TOAST (or, when you're pretending to be fancy, PAIN PERDUE.) 

I had the same thought. French toast is pretty much just as much a cop out as bread pudding.

• Love 6
47 minutes ago, RoxiP said:

Am I the only one who has never had bread pudding?  It just doesn't sound that great to me.

I've never either. I don't really understand it.  It just sounds weird to me. 

3 hours ago, ruffy666 said:

I'm sure it's difficult thinking on your feet but when the challenge is to use something as your "inspiration" and then simply recreate it exactly using colored frosting and fondant... that really doesn't work for me.

I actually thought it was hilarious that they said NO BREAD PUDDING.  I wish they'd also said NO FRENCH TOAST (or, when you're pretending to be fancy, PAIN PERDUE.)  It's just such a cop out... maybe not super common on the Baking Championship shows but it comes up all the time on Chopped.

Totally agree with both your points. Jennifer used it as inspiration. Everybody else did not. 

• Love 3
48 minutes ago, RoxiP said:

Am I the only one who has never had bread pudding?  It just doesn't sound that great to me.

I adore bread pudding! It is one of my favorite desserts, especially if it is accompanied by a bourbon sauce of some kind! 

• Love 13
21 hours ago, RoxiP said:

If you've ever had french toast...it's basically the same premise: pour custard over bread and cook it. Just bread pudding is baked, and french toast is cooked in a pan. The former is usually also richer and more likely to have interesting sauces in it, but the bare bones basic concept of the two is the same.

• Love 3

If I were to have bread pudding I would want it to be more like a streusel for sure!  I'm actually just not a big custard eater so that might be why it doesn't appeal to me as much...but everybody has their favorite things, right?

• Love 1
On 12/2/2019 at 10:57 PM, littlebennysmom said:

Dwight is a good looking man, but the hair styled to a point on the top of his head and scraggly beard hanging off his chin seem like an ill advised plan to make his face seem longer.  Unnecessary, his eyes are great, smooth that hair tuft/shave that chin!

First episode I kept wondering what it was that made looking at him hard.  My daughter says "he looks like an elf.  everything is pointy, hair, ears, chin".  lol.  I like him though, he seems down to earth and a good baker. At this point I like him or Geoffrey to win.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I thought "cupcake cakes" were cupcakes arranged in a pattern to look like something, then iced to support that item.

Not simply cupcakes in a square with frosting over the top of all of them, decorate to meet the pajama challenge.

Dumb challenge imo. We want to see pretty holiday bakes, not cupcakes. That cupcake baking show is awful. Don't get me wrong, I like cupcakes and make them for the grandkids. But this was a silly challenge.

I'd love to see them make Wisconsin Kringle's.

925A8879-F572-4538-A724-849F9D85E832.jpeg

Every couple of years my husband's work gets these from a supplier in Racine, Wisconsin. They are one of the best things I've ever put in my mouth.

Edited by Deskisamess
  • Love 13
3 hours ago, trudysmom said:

First episode I kept wondering what it was that made looking at him hard.  My daughter says "he looks like an elf.  everything is pointy, hair, ears, chin".  lol.  I like him though, he seems down to earth and a good baker. At this point I like him or Geoffrey to win.

If part of the prize is some kind of internet cooking show then I prefer either Geoffrey or Melissa.  I don't find Dwight appealing enough to watch him on a show by himself.  

• Love 3

Not really a fan of Dwight myself.  I don't hate him and he seems like he's got skills but something about his personality just bugs me.  I don't decorate, I don't do cupcakes, IDK maybe it's arrogance I don't know it's just something about him.  Besides anybody that's "not a fan" of p.j.s I can't root for.  I friggin LOVE jammies!  I'd wear them everywhere if it was socially appropriate.  The pull apart pajama cupcakes were a cute idea. 

So long Janet, you really gave me grandma, home style baking vibes but for this faced paced competition enh not for you.

Jennifer and Geoffery are my top 2, hope one of them wins!

• Love 6
23 hours ago, RoxiP said:

Good bread pudding is to die for! My mom made great bread pudding but the best I ever had was from a Cajun restaurant some 1 1/2 away from us. It had some kind of sauce that went with it and the bread was blueberry. I don't have a big sweet tooth and can usually bypass dessert but if there is bread pudding.... watch out. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Love 8

Glad to see Janet go.  Scooped out fruitcake is still a fruitcake.  I have nothing against Canadians, but it seems like FN goes for the same types of people all the time.  I think the Canadian contestants are prodded to talk in a very pronounced Canadian accent and talk about their love of maple syrup and Canadian bacon until I'm nauseated.  The dessert prepared by the culinary instructor with the fruitcake ten ways looked like cat food to me with a green blob/pickle next to it.  Hoping Dwight is next to go.  He always looks lost.  Is Jennifer the baker that put lights on her roof and Santa underneath?  She's remarkably talented and inventive.  Aren't we all over Nancy's booze schtick?

• Love 9
On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 5:27 PM, MerBearHou said:

Sarah is even more annoying to me than Erin from a few seasons ago and that is saying A LOT.  Please go away soon.

I hope Dwight wins but Melissa has really grown on me.  I like Geoffrey too.  Janet is a dear but I don't think she should win.  

I actually like Sarah and can't stand Melissa.  She can't go home soon enough for me.  I was hoping it would be for her cupcake disaster, but I do think Janet had been skating by with things which were too simply and she finally got caught out.

• Love 1
On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 12:10 PM, Rammchick said:

My father did too, but I believe it's a New England "thing".

I also make the baked brie en croute, and it's fabulous as an hors d'oeuvre with drinks/wine.  I buy prepared frozen puff pastry, wrap the brie wheel in it and add a tart spread of some kind right onto the cheese -- it depends what I find at the supermarket, but the last time I made it (which was Thanksgiving last year, actually), I used a sour cherry spread.  It really helps to cut the fattiness of the dish.  When you bring that out of the oven, it smells divine and just oozes.  People go crazy for it.

Baked brie en croute with honey is divine.

Mojoween - it's that sweet and salty thing to a certain extent.  Some cheeses work better in non-savory dishes than others; brie has a relatively mild flavor, so it adapts to desserts pretty well, as does cheddar.  Feta, on the other hand, well it's very salty, so that's more of a challenge.

On ‎12‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 6:49 PM, BusyOctober said:

Sarah is one is one of those people that I couldn’t tolerate too long.  That kind of perkiness and always “ON!” personality brings out my passive-aggressive gene.

If I had to put up with her in more than one hour doses once a week, I'd probably kill her, but since I don't, I'm okay with her.

On ‎12‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 7:32 AM, BigBingerBro said:

Did they really think that the majority of them would have done that?

I think at least 2 or 3 would have.

On ‎12‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 10:37 AM, libgirl2 said:

I really wish they would add the twist earlier on, not when the things are half baked already! 

I wish they wouldn't do it at all.  Most of the challenges are challenging enough, and the twist rarely adds anything good.

• Love 4
23 hours ago, theatremouse said:

If you've ever had french toast...it's basically the same premise: pour custard over bread and cook it. Just bread pudding is baked, and french toast is cooked in a pan

The bread pudding I've had is nothing like French toast.  My French toast recipe does not involve anything even remotely resembling custard.  Although I have had a French toast casserole which wasn't entirely dissimilar.

I agree that Jennifer seems to be the most creative of these contestants, with Geoffrey not far behind.  I'd love to see one of the two win.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

Baked brie en croute with honey is divine.

Mojoween - it's that sweet and salty thing to a certain extent.  Some cheeses work better in non-savory dishes than others; brie has a relatively mild flavor, so it adapts to desserts pretty well, as does cheddar.  Feta, on the other hand, well it's very salty, so that's more of a challenge.

If I had to put up with her in more than one hour doses once a week, I'd probably kill her, but since I don't, I'm okay with her.

I think at least 2 or 3 would have.

I wish they wouldn't do it at all.  Most of the challenges are challenging enough, and the twist rarely adds anything good.

Well yes, no twist would be the best. The don't do twists in GBBO. Or maybe their twist is the technical bake.

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

Well yes, no twist would be the best. The don't do twists in GBBO. Or maybe their twist is the technical bake.

Or if they have a twist make it something that accompanies the baked good, not the baked good itself - perhaps a drink or some complimentary dish like whipped cream or a sauce or something.

I have a recipe I'm going to try for Christmas that involves crescent rolls, brie and whole berry cranberry sauce - it sounded delicious!

• Love 7
25 minutes ago, RoxiP said:

Or if they have a twist make it something that accompanies the baked good, not the baked good itself - perhaps a drink or some complimentary dish like whipped cream or a sauce or something.

I have a recipe I'm going to try for Christmas that involves crescent rolls, brie and whole berry cranberry sauce - it sounded delicious!

Yes, something that isn't going to get baked into the cake or whatever. Something on the side. 

That recipe sounds good. I'm currently enjoying a hunk of white cheddar cheese with dried cranberries. I love the play on tastes so I'm sure I would love what you are going to make. 

• Love 2
36 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

Yes, something that isn't going to get baked into the cake or whatever. Something on the side. 

That recipe sounds good. I'm currently enjoying a hunk of white cheddar cheese with dried cranberries. I love the play on tastes so I'm sure I would love what you are going to make. 

I might have to try it out before Christmas Eve - just in the spirit of ensuring I don't poison my family!

I went to a large buffet on Thanksgiving and spent almost my entire time between the fruit and the cheese displays.  There was no room on my (first) plate for "real" food.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Deskisamess said:

I'd love to see them make Wisconsin Kringle's.

OMG.  I used to work in a supermarket bakery and one holiday we had baker working with us from Switzerland.  He was incredible, wore clogs to work, thick accent, so funny.  He made these Kringles and I thought at the time that they looked pretty plain and  not holiday-ish, until I tasted one.  Lordy me talk about delicious.  I agree, I'd love to see them do more things like this.

• Love 2

I grew up in Wisconsin and know Kringle well.  I live in the south now and always try to source one for the holidays.  As far as having that be a challenge, it probably would not work as most recipes call for the dough to sit 8 hours or overnight in the fridge.  I know GBBO had a challenge once where the dough needed to sit overnight and they actually had the contestants work for an hour the night before to start the dough, but I can't see Holiday Baking Championship being that flexible.

• Love 3

Off-topic, but about those Kringles. If you have a Trader Joe's near you, they carry them on a seasonal basis. Just got through Pumpkin and it's Almond for the holidays. Agree, they are wonderful. Other times of the year it's cherry and other fruit flavors. You can also find them online.

That would be an interesting challenge, but they'd probably throw weird flavors into the mix as a "twist."

• Love 3

Watching the 2015 HBC marathon that's running before tonight's new episode.  The contestants were quite memorable -- Adalberto was robbed!  Robbed, I tell you!  Though Maeve would have most likely stabbed him to death in front of our very eyes.  Girl was INTENSE!

• Love 11

They can't give the bakers only two hours to bake and decorate and then complain when the cakes are too plain or sloppy.   I know there's always a time element, but I want to see what these bakers are really capable of and ridiculously short time frames don't allow that.

That being said, this season's crew is not very impressive.  I don't see anyone that would give Joshua a moment's unease.

It's too bad Sarah and her PEE-CANS are good enough to stay through to the finals.  She's driving me crazy.

• Love 12

I was surprised that several of them did penguins and no one pointed out that penguins live at the South Pole.  

I don't understand why they keep saving Melissa.  Once again, I was expecting her to be on the bottom with her unimpressive creation but nooooo.  I suppose Jennifer or Sara is going to win but I'm still pulling for Geoffrey.

• Love 15
4 hours ago, kirklandia said:

Igloo cake- induced flashback to Betty Crocker's Cookbook for Boys and Girls.  I still have my tattered childhood copy from 1957.

OMG, I remember that cookbook and that picture! 

• Love 3

Sarah's voice is like a cross between Gladys Kravitz from Bewitched and Kyle's mother from South Park. It almost seems like she purposely enhances the cartoon nature of it as part of her "character". 

This season is kind of a dud. The bakes are not gorgeous and enchanting like you want in your holiday baking shows. 

Also, having all the female contestants drool over Jesse is getting old. 

• Love 11

Sara and her cartoony voice are killing me.  Her accent is an aural assault that intensifies every week.  I live in New England, so I know of which I speak re. horrifying regional accents.  I believe Sara lives in Boston, but is from upstate NY?? Her accent almost sounds like a stereotypical, exaggerated Minnesota accent to me.  And the cutesey-wootsey over-perky personality is making me stabby.

So, because she is super annoying and has a voice that makes nails on a chalkboard sound melodious, I predict Sara will win.  And she will join the other vocally challenged stable of FN celebrities...Katie Lee, Ree, Demaris (and that little chipmunk Kelsey who pops up on reruns and the Cooking Channel).

Edited by BusyOctober
  • Love 14
28 minutes ago, BusyOctober said:

Her accent almost sounds like a stereotypical, exaggerated Minnesota accent to me.

I'm from the great state of Minnesota and I am heartily offended! lol  I hate to admit it, but she almost does.  Although I can assure you, we do not say PEE-CANS here.  We call them peh-cawns, like God intended.

• LOL 1
  • Love 10

Hey, Frost...no offense intended!  I meant the over-exaggerated MN accent people who are NOT from the area use to make fun of MN/Northwest folks.  Trust me, as a Bostonian I hear non-Bostonians try to “do” the accent, and they never get it right! 

• Love 1

I loathe Sarah and her cutesy, exaggerated, annoyingly perky, attention-grabbing, hairstyled talking heads, flirty with Jesse, HORRIBLE voice self.  If she wins and has a career on FN, I will vomit.  She is best suited as a teacher in a toddler classroom where I never have to see her again.

• Love 16
3 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

I loathe Sarah and her cutesy, exaggerated, annoyingly perky, attention-grabbing, hairstyled talking heads, flirty with Jesse, HORRIBLE voice self.  If she wins and has a career on FN, I will vomit.  She is best suited as a teacher in a toddler classroom where I never have to see her again.

I would avoid watching her too. She is just too "too" and not in a good way. I see her and just want to smack her. 

I fell asleep last night, who went home? Obviously not Sarah 🙁

Edited by libgirl2
  • Love 3
13 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

I would avoid watching her too. She is just too "too" and not in a good way. I see her and just want to smack her. 

Dwight went home.  Geoffrey was in the bottom 2 but Melissa didn't do much better.

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, MerBearHou said:

Dwight went home.  Geoffrey was in the bottom 2 but Melissa didn't do much better.

Thanks. I really hope its not Sarah for the win. I think Jennifer (I think that is her name, she keeps doing well) will win it . 

• Love 3

I must say that Sarah is not a favorite BUT she has turned out some pretty good stuff. We definitely don't have anyone like Joshua, but her work has been clean, neat and pretty on point throughout the contest. I am rooting for Jennifer because she has been good and is pretty original. I don't know what happened to the two guys last night but their work was pretty lame. I couldn't believe Dwight's igloo....he had everything on his side and he just over did...plus no opening for the igloo!!

Edited by suebee12
  • Love 8
43 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

Dwight was eliminated. 

6 minutes ago, suebee12 said:

I must say that Sarah is not a favorite BUT she has turned out some pretty good stuff. We definitely don't have anyone like Joshua, but her work has been clean, neat and pretty on point throughout the contest. I am rooting for Jennifer because she has been good and is pretty original. I don't know what happened to the two guys last night but their work was pretty lame. I couldn't believe Dwight's igloo....he had everything on his side and he just over did...plus no opening fro the igloo!!

That doesn't sound good. I'm going to try to catch it on demand. 

5 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

All they would have to do is pair her with Jason "Captain Cornpone" Smith and I'd run for the hills for sure!

• LOL 12
  • Love 1

I don't know her name, big round glasses girl, some of her stuff is kinda iffy and she's squints when she smiles...anyway, she talks so darn fast I can hardly understand her.  Something about the rest of them all rub me the wrong way so I'm rooting for Geoffrey, which, sadly will be the kiss of death because the person I like hardly ever wins. 

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, trudysmom said:

I don't know her name, big round glasses girl, some of her stuff is kinda iffy and she's squints when she smiles.

That's Melissa. Lots of tats on her arms. I actually like her, and because I'm from the NY area I can understand the fast talk 🙂

• LOL 1
  • Love 5