Type keyword(s) to search

Holiday Baking Championship - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I guess I'm slow to get things sometimes, but I'm realizing that several of these contestants are 'recycled' from other FN shows.  I had no idea Jason had been on FNS, or that Julia, who I quite like on HBC was annoying as heck on the Cookie Challenge the year before. I think I started to get it when I was re-watching Halloween Wars and kept saying "I've seen that person before, but it was a holiday thing".  I guess there are only so many people willing to put it all out there on television again, and again, and again.  lol

Edited by trudysmom
leaving out words
  • Love 2

I wonder if being on FNS is a requirement for the Holiday, and other seasonal baking competition winners?    Of course, since FNS seems to have disappeared, I guess it's not an issue any more.      Erin was anything but cheery, bubbly, and nice on FNS.     Jason and Erin were both on the FNS after they won the seasonal.    I really liked Jason and the young baker he was paired with on the special competition one hour show, and thought Erin was anything but cooperative, and welcoming to her partner.  

I like the idea of letting the baking advantage person picking their special flavor first, and that's the only advantage.     I don't like when one person gets a judge or other expert to help them either, most of them don't really use the person to help.  

I wish they would assign the twist at the beginning of the bake, and think it would be more fair, and give them more time.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3

I watched the Baking Championship from 2017 with Jennifer(swans 'aswimming, Joshua(12 drummers drumming) and Stephanie(8 maids a milking) and I  think it was one of the best ever. I still like Joshua the best but Jennifer's cake was nice also. I don't see any of the contestants this year coming anywhere near the great work this bunch did! I am still amazed at the fruitcake that Joshua made....it was wonderful. Wonder if he ever used that design in his bakery? This year's bunch is so far not great and a bit boring!!

• Love 4
On 11/16/2019 at 5:00 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

Sarah's over the top performance reminds me so much of Erin from Season 1.   I'm muting the sound when she starts her cringy presentations.    And I think we all saw how Erin was on FNS, so I'm wondering is Sarah's not really like that either.    

OMG just hearing Erin's name give me PTSD  I could not stand her.  I recently saw her on one of the repeat specials where they baked with children.  I had to mute it although she wasn't as cutesy as she was during her season.

10 hours ago, trudysmom said:

I guess I'm slow to get things sometimes, but I'm realizing that several of these contestants are 'recycled' from other FN shows.  I had no idea Jason had been on FNS, or that Julia, who I quite like on HBC was annoying as heck on the Cookie Challenge the year before. I think I started to get it when I was re-watching Halloween Wars and kept saying "I've seen that person before, but it was a holiday thing".  I guess there are only so many people willing to put it all out there on television again, and again, and again.  lol

Ugh... Jason is another one I can't stand.  He actually was on one of the baking shows...the was on the Food Network Star and now he's on Baking specials.  He just annoys me.

• Love 5

Not specific to this show, but it is what is on now... why why why do they all say "MY flour, My eggs,... I take MY sugar and add it to MY milk" ... it drives me crazy. I do really like this show, hhahahaha, despite all the complaining. 

And OMG... Dwight just FED Jesse!!!   🤣

• LOL 5
  • Love 2

It dawned on me tonight that Dwight looks like the Pharaoh Akhenaten. 🧐 I would love to try those donuts he made. 
I’m sorry Kobe went home. I liked him. He should have mixed more colors when that batch he did turned out muddy. His leaves looked as if they were composted! Anyway, he must have been a great guy because many of the other bakers were wiping away tears.

Sarah reminds me of Ellie Kemper.

Edited by LittleIggy
  • Love 12
8 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

It dawned on me tonight that Dwight looks like the Pharaoh Akhenaten. 🧐 I would love to try those donuts he made. 
I’m sorry Kobe went home. I liked him. He should have mixed more colors when that batch he did turned out muddy. His leaves looked as if they were composted! Anyway, he must have been a great guy because many of the other bakers were wiping away tears.

Sarah reminds me of Ellie Kemper.

Kobe had two strikes against him, a smushed cake and a bad design. 

• Love 5
1 minute ago, proserpina65 said:

Pee-cans.  Pray-leen.  Depends on where you're from.

I'm a puh-kahn and a pray-leen person myself...LOL!

I was sorry to see him go also.  Sarah is very annoying and must be exhausting to be around.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

The Ellie Kemper comparison is fair and I find Ellie to be massively annoying too IRL — over-the-top perky and cutesy and not nearly as funny as she thinks she is.  I’ll be so glad when Sarah is off the show.  

Kobe’s roll cake was a fail in looks and execution so unfortunately he had to go.  Seems like a very sweet man.

Jennifer is a bit much too (a far-distant 2nd to Sarah in that respect but still...) and I was surprised she won with her brown inlaid designs but she had the good sense to outline them and bring some color for a good effect.  

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 3
On 11/17/2019 at 11:11 AM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I wish they would assign the twist at the beginning of the bake, and think it would be more fair, and give them more time.  

Or get rid of the "twist" at all. It isn't like it is a surprise anymore since they have to do it literally every episode. If they must keep it I prefer it when it is adding a decorative element or some small tasting thing like a truffle,  something along those lines. I've always hated it when they have to add a flavor when more than half of their stuff is done.  Then they get the "The [twist] seems like an afterthought" critique, which, duh, it is because they were told as an afterthought. 

• Love 15

Kobe seemed like a nice guy but I am immediately disinclined to root for anyone who says "OH EVERYTHING I'VE EVER MADE WAS PERFECT THE FIRST TIME."  shaddup.  (I acknowledge that that sort of commentary is probably prompted by show producers, but arrogance is a real pet peeve...)

I'm not really seeing any spectacular talents this season but it's a nice, comfortable show to watch so I'm not complaining.

• Love 9
28 minutes ago, ruffy666 said:

I'm not really seeing any spectacular talents this season but it's a nice, comfortable show to watch so I'm not complaining.

I would agree -- I think they all seem to be evenly matched, with no obvious front runner at this point.  

• Love 4
13 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

It dawned on me tonight that Dwight looks like the Pharaoh Akhenaten

At my house we think he looks like the dude from Emperor's New Groove.  All of us like him and probably want him to win.

Edited by docmatt
add content
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2

“This is classy, and elegant...and not at all me!”

I feel so seen.

Dwight’s donuts looked soooo beyond fabulous but it made me laugh because his apples looked like red peaches to me.  Aaaand then he lost me with raisins in cake.

I also had to laugh when he fed Jesse because he made sure to get a new utensil.  Janet probably would have used the same spoon, heh.

Sarah.  Your donuts are not sexy.  Stop.  And I don’t care what Duff thinks about it.  I thought for sure she was going to win the pre-heat and was so surprised when Dwight and his last minute decorating did.

• Love 6
26 minutes ago, 3outta5 said:

The mitten comment by Duff was so weird - of course they're not ideal but in a snowball fight, you use what you've got!

Yea, we always had knit mittens(& every other kind). Yes they got wet, but so did the rest of our bodies. You don't play in snow to stay warm & dry.

• LOL 2
  • Love 8
30 minutes ago, 3outta5 said:

The mitten comment by Duff was so weird - of course they're not ideal but in a snowball fight, you use what you've got!

and I don't think a waterproof, insulated mitten would be nearly as cute!

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, 3outta5 said:

Obvs he was making a joke though.  The mittens were too cute but I've noticed instead of stating the obvious like the other 2 judges did he sometimes is a bit more sarcastic in his comments.  I dig it.....

The blue scarves did look a baby shower presentation though.  I didn't realize it until you see all 12 of them lined up like that.....

On 11/19/2019 at 9:17 AM, libgirl2 said:

Kobe had two strikes against him, a smushed cake and a bad design. 

AND he tanked in the preheat challenge AND was in the bottom 2 last week so yeah he was circling the drain. 

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

I don't know those. The scarves would have looked cute red/green striped. 

I thought it would have helped the blue scarves if some embellishment had been added, instead of just cutting a ribbon and looping it.  Kind of took the easy route.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 10:39 AM, Dirtybubble said:

The blue scarves did look a baby shower presentation though.  I didn't realize it until you see all 12 of them lined up like that.....

The judges' comments about "this color isn't Christmassy enough" and "that color looks like a baby shower" annoy the crap out of me.  Christmas wrapping and decorations come in more than bloody red and green.  In fact, I refuse to decorate with anything where those colors predominate.

On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 1:20 PM, Jesse said:

On rewatch, I really don't understand why they all assume that cake doughnut = baked. Proper cake cider doughnuts are definitely fried!

Very true, which is why I don't like them.  Of course, I'm not a fan of cake doughnuts in general.

• Love 4
On 11/16/2019 at 9:46 PM, omgtv said:

I found Erin pretty annoying on HBC, but I didn't watch FNS. What happened with her on that show?

I wish they would put Jason's season on repeat.  I LOVED his final cake so much!

Jason's season is on RIGHT NOW!  I leave my TV on FN because it is synced with my phone and tells me whether I can ignore the call  (almost always yes).

• LOL 2

I watched Jason's season yesterday! His final cake and his log cake were awesome! One thing I noticed is that they have changed the prize from $50,000 to $25,000 in Larome's season. Is it still $25,000 or have they taken it down to $10,000? I'll have to pay attention tonight!

Two weeks in a row I'm disappointed that a really nice guy got the boot.  I liked Kobe and Cedric, and Cedric seemed like a really talented baker.  Of course I had my doubts when he said the cake mix crust was a Sandra Lee tip, but it looked like the cranberry gelee was more of a downfall than the dark crust.  Now I'm pulling for Geoffrey or Dwight.

• Love 3

I was sorry to see Cedrick leave because I liked him but I also like Janet so I didn't want her to go either.  I do think the judges made the right decision based on the desserts presented.

I've been trying to think who Sarah reminds me of since the first episode and tonight it finally hit me.  There's an actress, don't know her name, who appears in a lot of commercials and is quite good at what she does.  She was in a phone ad with Gordon Ramsay and lately has been in one where she goes into what I think is a hotel bar and the bartender makes her a drink with EXTRA FIZZ.  Sarah looks a lot like her and sounds just like her. 

• Love 3
8 hours ago, mlp said:

Sarah looks a lot like her and sounds just like her. 

"Craaaaaaanberries!  Jessie whyyyyyyyy are you doing this to meeeeeeeeeeeee?!"  God in heaven is it just me or was she extra annoying last night?  She was way too excited over those stupid turkey cupcakes.  Yes they have little turkey legs calm the F down!

Yeah sad to see Cedric go but my gut is telling me Janet isn't long for this competition.  Another one that seems just way in over her head.  Nice lady though *shrug*

• LOL 2
  • Love 13

Cookie butter is a food paste made primarily from speculoos cookie crumbs, fat, flour, and sugar. The ingredients are mixed until it becomes spreadable on a sandwich. In countries like Belgium, the Netherlands, and France, it is a common alternative to nut butter and chocolate spreads.

From Wikipedia

Edited by Dirtybubble
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Dirtybubble said:

"Craaaaaaanberries!  Jessie whyyyyyyyy are you doing this to meeeeeeeeeeeee?!"  God in heaven is it just me or was she extra annoying last night?  She was way too excited over those stupid turkey cupcakes.  Yes they have little turkey legs calm the F down!

Yeah sad to see Cedric go but my gut is telling me Janet isn't long for this competition.  Another one that seems just way in over her head.  Nice lady though *shrug*

I think Sarah is very aware that she's on TV and plays to the camera.  She isn't doing herself any favors.

I don't think Janet has what it takes to win either but I like her.  My choice at this point is Geoffrey.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

Yuck to Sarah - she's annoying.

I'm leaning towards the pregnant lady (Melissa?), and I like Geoffrey, but I think Dwight (is that right) also has a good chance to win, and is favored by the judges.

• Love 5
36 minutes ago, 3outta5 said:

All of the brie concoctions looked delicious! 🤤

I have a wheel of brie in my refrigerator that I purchased for a recipe (cranberry brie tartlets) - it was hard to resist breaking it open after I watched last night's show!

• Love 1

Sarah is even more annoying to me than Erin from a few seasons ago and that is saying A LOT.  Please go away soon.

I hope Dwight wins but Melissa has really grown on me.  I like Geoffrey too.  Janet is a dear but I don't think she should win.  

• Love 7
1 hour ago, 3outta5 said:

All of the brie concoctions looked delicious! 🤤

They sure did. I stole an idea from a friend for a cocktail party. Put a generous dollop of Trader Joe’s blue cheese/walnut spread in a mini phyllo tart, bake for a few minutes to lightly brown the tart and melt the cheese then put a bit of pepper jelly on top. Those things fly off the baking sheet....and that’s just me devouring them as I take them out of the oven! 

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
16 hours ago, mlp said:

I was sorry to see Cedrick leave because I liked him but I also like Janet so I didn't want her to go either.  I do think the judges made the right decision based on the desserts presented.

I've been trying to think who Sarah reminds me of since the first episode and tonight it finally hit me.  There's an actress, don't know her name, who appears in a lot of commercials and is quite good at what she does.  She was in a phone ad with Gordon Ramsay and lately has been in one where she goes into what I think is a hotel bar and the bartender makes her a drink with EXTRA FIZZ.  Sarah looks a lot like her and sounds just like her. 

As I said before, Sarah reminds me of Elly Kemper.

• Love 4

So that is really a thing?  Desserts with a slab of cheese in them?  Now I haaaaate cheese that is not mozzarella turned brown on top of pizza, so my palate cannot be trusted, but that whole pre-heat was beyond me.  

It bothers me more than it should that Sarah’s hair is COMPLETELY different in her interviews.  Normally it’s not obvious that the confessionals are not done during filming but I guess she decided to not play that game.

Her exuberance over making characters who embrace nuts is unsettling.

Jennifer’s dessert was a lot with TWO deep-fried crescent rolls, but I would love to try both hers and Melissa’s Napoleons.

• Love 1
54 minutes ago, mojoween said:

So that is really a thing?  Desserts with a slab of cheese in them?  Now I haaaaate cheese that is not mozzarella turned brown on top of pizza, so my palate cannot be trusted, but that whole pre-heat was beyond me.  

As noted by a number of the contestants last night, baked brie en croute tends to be less of a dessert and more of a savory dish. I've seen it more as an appetizer than a dessert.

I don't mind Sarah, though she's awfully perky for someone living in Boston. I think Janet plays up her Canadian-ness a bit too much, and right now, she's the one who annoys me the most. I was surprised she wasn't booted last night.  Jennifer is a dark horse candidate, I think. She appears to be really talented and I like that she's without a lot of pretensions. 

• Love 6

I thought Janet should have gone. She has been playing it safe and back of the pack for several episodes.

In the first heat, I think it was either Melissa or Sarah, who said the challenge was kind of like one of her favorite desserts and they flashed a picture of some heavenly looking golden cheesy cake thing --does anyone remember what that was called?