Type keyword(s) to search

Holiday Baking Championship - General Discussion

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, CheshireCat said:

Uh, Aaron, Linzer Cookies aren't made with hazelnut flour, they're made with flour and almond flour. (And technically, that wasn't a Linzer cookie. Linzer cookies are sandwich cookies. You have a base cookie and cut out a shape of the top then fill them with jam, usually raspberry jam and dust them with powdered sugar).

Linzer cookies can be made with either hazelnut or almond flour. I’m going to guess almond is more popular in the US since hazelnut flour was hard to find until recently. Making your own ground hazelnut flour was always a pain.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

Not to sound like Nancy, but I was yelling at the tv when not one, but both of the bakers assigned butterscotch used butterscotch extract rather than making butterscotch. Wtf!?!? First off, butterscotch is as much about the texture as the flavor, and secondly, how many times have they seen people dinged on these shows for using extracts which can impart strange and artificial flavors? They were both very lucky that others were worse.

Edited by rlc
  • Like 3
  • Applause 7
  • Love 9
3 minutes ago, rlc said:

Not to sound like Nancy, but I was yelling at the tv when not one, but both of the bakers assigned butterscotch used butterscotch extract rather than making butterscotch. Wtf!?!? First off, butterscotch is as much about the texture as the flavor, and secondly, how many times have they seen people dinged on these shows for using  extract ps which can impart strange and artificial flavors? They were both very lucky that others were worse.

I thought the exact same thing! And didn't one of them say they added too much?

15 minutes ago, Rickster said:

Linzer cookies can be made with either hazelnut or almond flour. I’m going to guess almond is more popular in the US since hazelnut flour was hard to find until recently. Making your own ground hazelnut flour was always a pain.

I have no idea about US recipes but the German and Austrian recipes I've seen all call for almond flour and flour or even just flour. (Since the original recipe is said to have been created during the 30-year-war I'm assuming the latter is the closest to the original).

• Like 1

They can practice the timing at home all they want, it still doesn't account for the differences inherent in baking as part of a tv show. And when things go wrong and you have to start your batter or dough over again, that will throw off your timing.

In defense of Rachelle, this is partly what happened to her. Her batter didn't work out so she had to do it again, and she ran out of time to decorate. So she threw on the sprinkles and gumdrops out of desperation. She knew damn well it wasn't good, and looked embarrassed. I felt bad for her, even if she was the right one to go.

1 hour ago, tracyscott76 said:

They can practice the timing at home all they want, it still doesn't account for the differences inherent in baking as part of a tv show. And when things go wrong and you have to start your batter or dough over again, that will throw off your timing.

In defense of Rachelle, this is partly what happened to her. Her batter didn't work out so she had to do it again, and she ran out of time to decorate. So she threw on the sprinkles and gumdrops out of desperation. She knew damn well it wasn't good, and looked embarrassed. I felt bad for her, even if she was the right one to go.

She  knew she failed. I also felt bad for her but she was the right choice to go. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, tracyscott76 said:

It's also a different oven, the lights and the cameras are distracting, the host shows up to talk to you...etc etc.  It takes some of them an episode or two (or more!) to acclimate to the new surroundings and the pressure.

• Like 5
  • Applause 2
  • Love 4

Wow there's a lot of colorful personalities this season! 

Way too early to pick a favorite but I'm kinda glad the stepford wife Rachelle was eliminated. 

I can tell nervous nelly Krestin is going to wear me down.  Switch to decaf, try meditation, idk just dial it back about 20 notches please!

• Like 4
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Sigh, looks like Jesse is wearing a wedding ring.

I noticed it last year and he mentioned being newly married when he hosted last season's Holiday Baking Championship: Gingerbread Showdown. We can still enjoy looking at him.

• Wink 3
  • Fire 1
  • Love 2

My DVR cut off the end but I thought the pecan pie would win and sprinkles would go home. Baker’s Square restaurant used to make a candy cane pie for the holidays that was so good-sadly they are mostly closed and don’t make the pie in the few that remain in Chicago.

I have a big sweet tooth but I don’t think I could try so many different desserts at once between the pavlovas and pies and cakes plus cookies, I would be in a sugar coma. Happy the show is back and no Molly in sight!

• Like 1
  • Love 4
6 minutes ago, Madding crowd said:

I have a big sweet tooth but I don’t think I could try so many different desserts at once between the pavlovas and pies and cakes plus cookies, I would be in a sugar coma. Happy the show is back and no Molly in sight!

I wonder if they have some salty snacks in between tastings? I would not be able to eat all of those. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, tracyscott76 said:

True. But if it's already tight at home, you should probably make a change. :-)

• Love 2
1 minute ago, CheshireCat said:

True. But if it's already tight at home, you should probably make a change. :-)

I'm amazed at the bakers (particularly on GBBO) that say something like "I've never quite finished in the amount of time...." 

Then you're an idiot to keep doing it the same way!

• Like 3
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

It was surprising. Often judges call out the artificial taste. 

At least Duff told the two using butterscotch that they should have made it from scratch. I was waiting for someone to tell the two peppermint users that the desserts tasted like toothpaste. I was glad to hear them tell the apple bakers to cook down their apples with their flavorings. Throwing raw or almost raw apples into a pie crust or cake batter and thinking they will cook through enough when you bake is one of my baking pet peeves.  And, yeah, no Molly. (Pun intended)

• Applause 2
  • Love 7
21 hours ago, starlightlost said:

Great first episode. I liked the cakes vs pies idea. Wish I had her pecan pie recipe. Now I'm getting into the spirit! 🎄🎅

Excellent!  The bakers are especially talented this year.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Maverick said:

The guy wear half the party section from his local Dollar Tree on his head bugs the crap out of me.  I don't find it cute or quirky. 

His name is Dru!  Or Drū 🙄

If you could discern a little bit of what was actually in that kitchen sink topknot, it might have been more bearable.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

In my so far futile quest to figure out who Aishia reminds me of, I found her Instagram and discovered that most if not all of the other bakers have been posting support for RaChelle and links to some of her past work. In addition to Aishia, I saw posts from Dru, Sumera, Kristen, Jessica, and Zakiya. Probably others as well. It must be difficult to have a rough time on your only showing on a competition like this, putting out something that you know is bad and doesn't reflect what you're usually capable of.

So I thought that was pretty sweet of them!

I didn't understand why Aishia's pavlova won. The judges gushed over how it looked. Three different colors of baby poop brown? It did not look appealing to me at all.

The crazy lady from Utah went home so it doesn't matter in the end.

Not a fan of the hyper girl or the British lady who acts like she's auditioning for Food Network.

Everyone else seemed fine. I missed the naughty/nice lists from last year. I thought that was cute. 

I liked the cake vs pie idea and the fact they started with fall. I'm not mentally prepared for Christmas yet.

I love Carla. Everything she does is adorable to me. Good start to the season.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, littlebennysmom said:

If you could discern a little bit of what was actually in that kitchen sink topknot, it might have been more bearable.

Doubtful.  I hate manbuns and can't think of any ornamentation that would make them attractive.  

There used to just be one or two hyper/over the top/look at me contestants but it seems like you have to be that to be cast anymore.  

• Like 1
  • Love 5
On 11/8/2022 at 1:00 AM, CheshireCat said:

I've never had a Pavlova, so when they say it should be crunchy on the outside but soft on the inside, do they mean not baked all the way through? Wouldn't that mean it's gooey? Or do they mean the texture should be airy and melt in your mouth?

It's like a marshmallow inside so gooey and kind of melty.  Have you ever had a macaron?  It's much smaller but it also sometimes similar. I feel like it's just like eating air and I would have gotten sick eating all of those.  Macaron shells and pavlovas are not my faves.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
45 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

It's like a marshmallow inside so gooey and kind of melty.  Have you ever had a macaron?  It's much smaller but it also sometimes similar. I feel like it's just like eating air and I would have gotten sick eating all of those.  Macaron shells and pavlovas are not my faves.

The only macarons I had were homemade ones years ago and I don't know if I did them properly. I certainly didn't know about not overmixing the dough and all that, so it's possible they were too dense.

Gooey would not be my favorite.

In Germany, there's a meringue dessert that you eat with whipped cream. One of my favorites as a child but it was hardened all the way through and would crumble and melt in your mouth when you bit into it.

• Useful 1

I liked that the baker who won traded puns with Jesse - hilarious!  You could tell he enjoyed the interaction and also that that was simply her personality - not some put on for the camera.

• Like 7
  • Love 13

After such a great season of Halloween Baking Championship, this season has a lot to live up to. I am really liking it so far, even if some of the bakers this year seem to be mugging a bit to much, especially the British lady and the girl who kept hysterically giggling. Some of that might be first bake nerves though, and most everyone seems pretty mellow and pleasant, and everyone seems very talented so far. The baker who shared banter with Jessie was much more effortlessly funny. 

Its so great to see Jessie hosting a show that doesn't make me want to claw my own eyes out, the Bachelor franchise does not deserve him. He was looking great in that holiday sweater, even if I feel really bad for him presumably sweating like crazy under those hot studio lights. 

The right baker certainly went home, but I felt bad for Rachelle. She seems very nice and a talented baker, and she clearly knew she screwed up. It always sucks to be the first people sent home. That guy who didn't use his ingredient better know how lucky he is, people have been sent home for way less. 

Lots of great pies and cakes, the pie vs cake idea was cute, although it also seems a bit like comparing kiwis and cantaloupe, two very different things. Lots of great bakes, I especially thought the peppermint cake looked incredible, but I might be biased, peppermint is one of my favorite flavors. I'm ready to get into the holiday spirit! 

• Like 5
  • Love 3
On 11/7/2022 at 11:00 PM, CheshireCat said:

I've never had a Pavlova, so when they say it should be crunchy on the outside but soft on the inside, do they mean not baked all the way through? Wouldn't that mean it's gooey? Or do they mean the texture should be airy and melt in your mouth?

Pavlova is basically a meringue with a twist-- you fold cornstarch into the meringue which helps hold on to some of the moisture.  The goal is to get that trademark crunchy meringue exterior but keep a "pillowy," marshmallowy interior.  It does kind of melt in your mouth but also it's just a little bit chewy in the middle.

I adooooooooore pavlova!  I think it's hugely underrepresented in the US, at least.  I'm sure it's not for everyone but if you've never had it, worth a try.  I especially like it when the filling is tart (passion fruit curd, omg) and it's such a fun contrast of textures.

On an unrelated topic... I have absolutely nothing against Carla Hall but it seems like 23 hours of the day are filled with programming featuring either her or Guy Fieri and it's a little much :p

• Like 5
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, Catfi9ht said:

Not a fan of the hyper girl or the British lady who acts like she's auditioning for Food Network.

She's not "acting" like she's auditioning, she's auditioning. For Food Network or any other place she can make a deal. She's very annoying.

• Like 3
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, GaT said:

She's not "acting" like she's auditioning, she's auditioning. For Food Network or any other place she can make a deal. She's very annoying.

Yea, I have to admit it, she is. She kind of reminds me of Penny Davida (was that her last name?) who tried like crazy to be a FN star. she failed.

I don't mind Kristen, I'm thinking she is just nervous or that is just the way she is. 

• Applause 1
  • Love 3
5 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

Yea, I have to admit it, she is. She kind of reminds me of Penny Davida (was that her last name?) who tried like crazy to be a FN star. she failed.

NEVER SAY THE EVIL ONE'S NAME, IF SHE HEARS IT' SHE WILL APPEAR!!!!!!!!

• Applause 2
  • LOL 9
  • Love 1
On 11/8/2022 at 8:25 PM, Catfi9ht said:

19 hours ago, GaT said:

I started out thinking that two of them had to go -- the Stepford Wife (Rachelle) and the one with British one with the hair all over (Sumera).  Now we're half-way there. I felt like Rachelle had to go because she was clearly out of her league and I just wanted her out of the way so I could concentrate on better bakers (if that makes sense). Sumera just gets on my nerves because, as others have said, she's acting as if this is just an audition for her big tv deal. Is she going to be baking wedding cakes and then marrying the couple -- she's a justice of the peace! Or is she going to be baking for a concert venue and then performing with her band? Is she going to be tracking down criminals as a PI and then baking cakes with files to get them out of jail? Is she going to be doing all of that while looking and talking like Nigella Lawson?

22 hours ago, ruffy666 said:

Pavlova is basically a meringue with a twist-- you fold cornstarch into the meringue which helps hold on to some of the moisture.  The goal is to get that trademark crunchy meringue exterior but keep a "pillowy," marshmallowy interior.  It does kind of melt in your mouth but also it's just a little bit chewy in the middle.

I adooooooooore pavlova!  I think it's hugely underrepresented in the US, at least.  I'm sure it's not for everyone but if you've never had it, worth a try.  I especially like it when the filling is tart (passion fruit curd, omg) and it's such a fun contrast of textures.

I make Pavlovas whenever anyone in my family makes something that just requires egg yolks. I grab those leftover egg whites, and whip up a Pavlova. I top them with whatever is in season. I don't pipe well so I just draw a circle on parchment paper and glob it on the paper. I'm not being judged for presentation and the family enjoys it.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, ShelleySue said:

she's a justice of the peace!

when she said she was an ordained minister, I thought, "Oh yeah, you wrote away for one of those 'minister of the church-totally-unaffiliated-with-any-real-church.' " Somehow I don't think she went to seminary for three years. 

And I agree, she is TOTALLY annoying with her "I'm British so I'm special" attitude.

• Love 6
53 minutes ago, dleighg said:

when she said she was an ordained minister, I thought, "Oh yeah, you wrote away for one of those 'minister of the church-totally-unaffiliated-with-any-real-church.' " Somehow I don't think she went to seminary for three years. 

And I agree, she is TOTALLY annoying with her "I'm British so I'm special" attitude.

She did seem to have  A LOT going on. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, dleighg said:
2 hours ago, ShelleySue said:

she's a justice of the peace!

Thank you for the correction DLEIGHG. I must have blocked out "Ordained Minister" because my annoyance threshold had been reached by that point (worrying about her hair getting in the food gave it a head start).

• Like 1
  • Love 2
On 11/9/2022 at 12:04 PM, tennisgurl said:

That guy who didn't use his ingredient better know how lucky he is, people have been sent home for way less. 

I was so happy that he was on Tram Pie and got immunity.  I know his pie didn't have the twist, but I like his story of being a single dad with his sons.  I wasn't ready for him to have to go home yet.  Hopefully, he will be more successful going forward.

• Like 2
  • Love 7

I'm glad that they didn't eliminate someone after the pre-heat.  That happened one year in either HBC or SBC, and I didn't think that was fair.

About Rachelle, I wish they'd consider no one going home in the first show.  We barely get to know that person.  Starting with Show #2, everyone's fair game  because they've had one full competition round.  Judges could give critiques and advice in Show #1.  To keep Show #1 interesting, the Main Heat prize would be immunity from elimination that the bearer could choose to use during the first half (number of weeks) of the competition.  That person has a bad bake?  They can then tell the judges they are using their immunity this week.

In the second half of the competition (number of weeks), the immunity goes away.  They no longer have that protection.  If the person hasn't used it yet, the immunity could become something like an extra 10 minutes during a Main Heat.

Edited by Ohmo
  • Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

Aww I ADORE Sumera.  But she and I have the same personality type so that’s probably why.  I was glad she was on Team Pie (and Antoine too, the non-butterscotch butterscotch and missing twist would most likely have sent him home).

I have a New York Giants page-a-day calendar and every other day is a trivia question.  Wednesday’s question was “Before Daniel Jones, who was the last quarterback drafted by the Giants to start for the team?”  Answer - Jesse Palmer, 2003.  In the ep Jesse tried to say he didn’t have a six-pack, and it was a real missed opportunity that they didn’t have him lift up his sweater and prove it.

• Wink 1
  • LOL 6
  • Love 5

I thought this was just a lovely episode, a real return to the things I love about this show. Sure, I wish they would give the bakers a little more time, and I think I would have liked it better if the twist had been a snowflake decoration, so there would have been more variety and creativity than everyone doing a sugar cookie. I liked the head-to-head match ups with the winner being called after each pairing. Sometimes in the early rounds there are so many entries many of them feel lost, and this was a really good way to avoid that. Even the mid-range bakes felt meaningful and not just "safe, but not amazing."

Not a big fan of Sumera and Drud (or Rochelle) but that's fine, because there's lot of other great personalities it seems. I'm excited for the cast this season! Even Nancy seems a little toned down and more focused.

• Like 4
  • Love 2
26 minutes ago, CharlizeCat said:

Everybody is so young. Usually, there are at least one or two middle-aged/older contestants. I was also happy to see the French pastry chef. I thought we'd scared away any European bakers after the horribly embarrassing SBC!

Please - I had blocked SBC out of my mind! It was great seeing Jesse Palmer again! I was scared it might be Farm Holiday. 

• Like 3
  • Love 4

I kind of like Sumera.  She's definitely auditioning for her own gig but at least her snarky comments bring a bit of interest and I love her accent.

The lady with the comeback puns may become a favorite of mine.

Decorated Man Bun, I have no words but he seems like he has some skills

I'm not digging Nancy's short hair, the longer hair/wig suited her better.

WTF with Carla's quilted space suit/apron/top???

Rachelle was tots a Stepford wife.

• Love 4

I was happy when Jeff Mauro won NFNS, he is from my area and I liked him. I don't mind watching him but I have to say, he is really annoying on this show! Dude, stop with the New York accent! You are from Chicago!

This whole show I'm not liking very much. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
17 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

I was happy when Jeff Mauro won NFNS, he is from my area and I liked him. I don't mind watching him but I have to say, he is really annoying on this show! Dude, stop with the New York accent! You are from Chicago!

This whole show I'm not liking very much. 

1000% agree.  Jeff is wonderful and smart when he's not wound up.  When he IS, he is unwatchable -- he's not nearly as funny as he thinks he is.  And that fake accent and mugging -- not necessary AT ALL, Jeff.

Oops, libgirl2, I think we're supposed to be on Holiday Wars forum!

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Like 2

I'm watching the rerun of episode 1, and Kristen needs to stop giggling.   It's getting on my last nerve. 

Some of the pies and cakes were spectacular, but some looked like I made them, which is a bad look.   However, time management is going to be an ongoing issue for Kristen, with her un-iced cookies on the cake.  Also, her cake was lopsided, and just looked amateur, and judges said her icing was sour. 

However, what was on Sumera's pie?   The top decoration looked like a chunk of tree root. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 1
  • Love 4

Getting this in before ep 2 airs on the east coast. I like Sumera and immediately followed her on Instagram. She reminds me of a good friend, so I felt like we’d vibe. 

Kristen lost me almost immediately when as executive pastry chef, she immediately started freaking out about the preheat challenge before even pouring ingredient one. Like, I don’t know shit about kitchens or hierarchies therein, but I would think that if someone has that title at that young age would need to have their shit together to whip some egg whites. Then when she started giggling at first judging, I had to mute the TV. I feel bad because I don’t even think it’s shtick, but it’s still annoying. 

I also immediately followed Jess for her ability to spar with Jesse in puns. I’m not a pun person but I admire her ability to serve it back to him, especially without a script or writers. 

Fingers crossed for a better episode two!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I'm watching the rerun of episode 1, and Kristen needs to stop giggling.   It's getting on my last nerve. 

Some of the pies and cakes were spectacular, but some looked like I made them, which is a bad look.   However, time management is going to be an ongoing issue for Kristen, with her un-iced cookies on the cake.  Also, her cake was lopsided, and just looked amateur, and judges said her icing was sour. 

However, what was on Sumera's pie?   The top decoration looked like a chunk of tree root. 

I dont want to speculate but I suspect Kristen is on the spectrum.  

• Love 1