Type keyword(s) to search

Holiday Baking Championship - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)

Christmas in July!!  Monday is a one night special of HBC hosted by Jesse Palmer.  I’m guessing that Nancy, Duff and Lorraine are the judges.

“Jesse leads four talented bakers through hotly contested challenges focused on melted showman desserts and cool and creamy Christmas ice cream cakes.” 

This is followed by a Christmas themed battle on Cupcake Championship. I enjoyed episode 1 of this show this week.

Edited by Spunkygal
  • Love 3
(edited)

I didn’t even know about the special until I randomly saw it scheduled on the DVR.  I’m excited to watch...on some random date this week because the Home Run Derby is on tonight.  But still.  Excited!

Watching last year’s reminded me how annoying it is to hear “I didn’t get maple” “oh I got lots of maple” “but maple was the CHALLENGE.”

Isn’t it entirely possible that the three of them have different palates?  I mean, it’s actually pretty damn likely so one person probably does taste olive oil and the other does not.

Edited by mojoween

I just now watched this special episode and am glad that the home baker won.  I felt sorry for the guy whose ice cream melted. He was a great sport about it.

My big question was what has Lorraine done to her face? She's either had some type of weird eye lift or too much Botox.  Whatever it is, she didn't need it to begin with. 

Season 6 starts Monday night! This is what I love about this time of year...Halloween to Thanksgiving to Christmas! BRING IT ON!  I am seriously putting up my Christmas trees this weekend. However, I wish John Henson also hosted Holiday Baking Championship. He’s so funny and clever. Jesse Palmer is ok but ...meh. Hope to see my Halloween friends here! 

Edited by Spunkygal
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, kj4ever said:

I am so hoping this season is better than last year's! It really went downhill, so I hope they step it up because the Holiday Baking Championship was always my favorite!

As has been noted ad nauseum, it would be so much better if they’d ditch the stupid twists. But this is FN so it can’t all be about baking...gotta trick it up somehow. 

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Girl in a Cardigan said:

I'd also be interested in seeing them do more than cakes and pies. Baking means a lot of things, so let's see more savory and interesting twists. Basically, there are rarely cakes on GBBO and we're better for it.

I grew up enjoying those Pepperidge Farm apple turnovers found in the freezer section. I’d like to see them make turnovers but have to make their own phyllo dough and not use ready made dough. Or even make big puffy popovers with sweet or savory butter on the side.

Edited by Spunkygal
  • Love 3
45 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

I grew up enjoying those Pepperidge Farm apple turnovers found in the freezer section.

Me too! Which channel is this on? I've already started watching the FN Thanksgiving thing--

3 minutes ago, dleighg said:

Me too! Which channel is this on? I've already started watching the FN Thanksgiving thing--

It's on Food Network, as well.  I'm watching the reruns from last season in the run up to the HBC season 6 premiere, and I'm already over Nancy's alcoholism and Lorraine's fussiness.  

Tonight's premiere of HBC season 6 will be followed by a new one hour episode in which 3 previous runners up compete to try and win the second time around, followed by a new episode of the Christmas Cookie Challenge.

• Love 1

Poor Devon.  But his plan for the $25,000 (adding another child to his family) really wouldn't have taken him far.  That would pay for, what, the kids diapers?  If it required more than that, tough luck, kiddo!

Even more unrealistic was Dwight's claim to save the $25,000 to send his son to college so he can "do whatever he wants in his life".  That will pay for exactly one textbook by the time that kid's of age.

• LOL 4
  • Love 6
6 minutes ago, MerBearHou said:

Cutesy Pistaaaachio is the one who annoyed me.  But she can bake.

I can’t believe the collapsed cake didn’t go home.

I so agree. I hate that Devon’s cake was dry because I kinda wanted Blue Glasses to go.  I’m afraid Pistaaaaachio will be around for a while.

Watching the Sweet Revenge episode and I hate how Nancy feeds Jesse a bite with her fork. Let him get his own fork. Yuck. 

• Love 6

Did anybody watch Holiday Baking Championship Sweet Revenge that came right after the regular show? My DVR cut off just as they were going to announce the winner.

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, GaT said:

Did anybody watch Holiday Baking Championship Sweet Revenge that came right after the regular show? My DVR cut off just as they were going to announce the winner.

Lerome won! 

2 hours ago, suebee12 said:

Just to let you know, I have started a thread for the Thanksgiving show....

I just can’t do Giada. 

• Love 13
1 minute ago, GaT said:

Thanks, it was really annoying to have it cut off like that.

You could tell that the other guy (I’m blanking on his name—Steve?) thought he was going to win. He was stunned for a minute. He was also on one of the gingerbread competitions last year. I like Lerome and was so happy for him. I agree with Duff that the silver leaf on the lady’s cake looked like foil. Gold leaf is so much prettier. 

• Love 10
27 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

I just can’t do Giada. 

I can't take her either as I said:

Even though the host is the woman who has more teeth than Donny and Marie together, I actually enjoyed this show last year so am ready for another go around!

I don't pay any attention to her and just watch the contestants!!

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

I so agree. I hate that Devon’s cake was dry because I kinda wanted Blue Glasses to go.  I’m afraid Pistaaaaachio will be around for a while.

She strikes me as a way over achiever, but yes, she will be in it for a while.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Spunkygal said:

I can grit my teeth and do that with Ree, but not with Giada.

And I cannot do it for Ree because Ree is on for the whole show(and usually several times a day!)...at least Giada is only there to introduce and make a few comments. Guess everyone has a "cut off" point on what we can watch! Thanksgiving is sort of ignored so at least I can get ideas from this one.

• Love 1
46 minutes ago, suebee12 said:

And I cannot do it for Ree because Ree is on for the whole show(and usually several times a day!)...at least Giada is only there to introduce and make a few comments. Guess everyone has a "cut off" point on what we can watch! Thanksgiving is sort of ignored so at least I can get ideas from this one.

Oh I need to clarify! I meant I can grit my teeth for Ree when she’s a judge on the Christmas cookie show. No way, and I mean NO WAY, am I watching her PW show. NO WAY. I love Christmas cookies and that’s the only reason I watch that show! We are kindred spirits in our dislike of the PW show. I don’t know why I can’t grit my teeth for Giada when she’s only hosting.

Edited by Spunkygal
  • LOL 2
  • Love 6

Oh LAWD that chick from Rochester, NY is really going to grate me!  Her accent is so annoying and it doesn't help that she seems to LOVE to talk.  And on a personal note she is way too perky for my liking so yeah I already don't like her.  But she does seem to be a good baker and with my luck she'll make it to the final 3 =(

I'm from S.C. so I'll be rooting for the southern gentleman from Myrtle Beach!  YAY!

I'm totally surprised the young lady with the deflated cake wasn't eliminated but I figure she's not going to be here long.  In fact there are quite a few people that already don't impress me. 

Forgot to add:  LOVE JESSE PALMER!  I think he is a great host and I've been a fan of his since The Bachelor days!

Edited by Dirtybubble
  • Love 8
10 minutes ago, LittleIggy said:

I don’t get the “pray-leen” pronunciation at all because the word is French.

there is no end to the number of French words we Americans have abused

🙂

Did someone bleed out under the table? Or spill an entire pitcher of bloody mary mix? Look at what's running down the boards to a big puddle!

Screen Shot 2019-11-05 at 11.59.00 AM.png

• Love 1