Type keyword(s) to search

Hoarders - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Except this is south Florida and the water table is VERY shallow and (I hope) TPTB restrict land use that could contaminate the water.  Dumps do contaminate and these folks weren't going to put down an impervious liner.

She close to Ft. Lauderdale and there's a great store there for used boat parts.  (We almost found the replacement propeller we needed there). Some of the stuff might have been sold to them.

South Florida in the hooouuussse!!!! **waves at EnoughCats and Julyolo**

I was wondering when Hoarders was going to put together a South Florida version and this did not disappoint. 

Bulk Pick-up down here is a hoarder's paradise. Basically one day a week, one can put anything that doesn't fit in the regular garbage can out in front of the house and Waste Management will pick it up. It's useful to get rid of stuff like a used mattress or an old couch.  Since there are lots of transients, household clean-outs are a popular Bulk Pick-up contributor and there are people driving around late at night and early in the morning on Bulk-Pick-Up day in old trucks and station wagons picking stuff off lawns (and even looking in garbage cans) for whatever. One guy comes around looking for scrap metal and old appliances in my neighborhood. I'm sure he sells the scrap metal for cash and perhaps fixes appliances. One of my neighbors has a treasure trove of baby stuff in her hoarded roach-filled garage (which spilled out into her driveway a couple of times prompting bitchy old me to call code enforcement on her sorry self. 

Also, the Swap Shop is located in Sunrise, Florida and hosts a drive-in theater with a huge outdoor flea market/junk-o-rama during the daytime hours. I

I don't know how Patricia pays for those houses. The one is in Plantation, Florida (both Cooper City and Plantation are western suburbs of the Fort Lauderdale area). That Plantation house alone could be sold for probably $400,000 to $500,00 if cleaned and fixed up. That would buy a lot of cigarettes.  After the fines which will be attached to her house, there will be nothing left after Patricia takes her giant dred-locked banana with her to her final resting place. 

And did anybody else think it was odd that Patricia was still walking around in scrubs years after leaving work at the ER? I'm surprised she didn't sell those scrubs to somebody driving by. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 9

The blue eye shadow was as such that, if indeed there were different days being filmed (because, hey, who knows anymore), it was caked and dried on that you knew she wasn't washing her face and then reapplying!

• Love 3
(edited)
12 hours ago, ItsHelloPattiagain said:

South Florida in the hooouuussse!!!! **waves at EnoughCats and Julyolo**

I was wondering when Hoarders was going to put together a South Florida version and this did not disappoint. 

Bulk Pick-up down here is a hoarder's paradise. Basically one day a week, one can put anything that doesn't fit in the regular garbage can out in front of the house and Waste Management will pick it up. It's useful to get rid of stuff like a used mattress or an old couch.  Since there are lots of transients, household clean-outs are a popular Bulk Pick-up contributor and there are people driving around late at night and early in the morning on Bulk-Pick-Up day in old trucks and station wagons picking stuff off lawns (and even looking in garbage cans) for whatever. One guy comes around looking for scrap metal and old appliances in my neighborhood. I'm sure he sells the scrap metal for cash and perhaps fixes appliances. One of my neighbors has a treasure trove of baby stuff in her hoarded roach-filled garage (which spilled out into her driveway a couple of times prompting bitchy old me to call code enforcement on her sorry self. 

Also, the Swap Shop is located in Sunrise, Florida and hosts a drive-in theater with a huge outdoor flea market/junk-o-rama during the daytime hours. I

I don't know how Patricia pays for those houses. The one is in Plantation, Florida (both Cooper City and Plantation are western suburbs of the Fort Lauderdale area). That Plantation house alone could be sold for probably $400,000 to $500,00 if cleaned and fixed up. That would buy a lot of cigarettes.  After the fines which will be attached to her house, there will be nothing left after Patricia takes her giant dred-locked banana with her to her final resting place. 

And did anybody else think it was odd that Patricia was still walking around in scrubs years after leaving work at the ER? I'm surprised she didn't sell those scrubs to somebody driving by. 

I also thought that was odd, as well as wearing a surgical mask. I would say it was for the dust/mold in the houses, but she doesn't seem like she would be too bothered by it (specially since she was smoking with the mask on), also no one else had dust masks on so it couldn't have been that bad. Maybe she can't seem to let go of being a nurse so she just dresses like one all the time?

Edited by sara1025
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, ChicagoCita said:

Dorothy Breininger said that this week's episode is the last one of the season, and it will have Matt Paxton!

As excited as I am to see Paxton, I'm baffled at A&E's choice to make a whopping four episodes for a full season.  Are we running out of hoarders to film or something?

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, sara1025 said:

I also thought that was odd, as well as wearing a surgical mask. I would say it was for the dust/mold in the houses, but she doesn't seem like she would be too bothered by it (specially since she was smoking with the mask on), also no one else had dust masks on so it couldn't have been that bad. Maybe she can't seem to let go of being a nurse so she just dresses like one all the time?

Or she's a cheap-ass, and has tons of scrubs, and doesn't want to buy new clothes.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, MoldySpiceGirl said:

As excited as I am to see Paxton, I'm baffled at A&E's choice to make a whopping four episodes for a full season.  Are we running out of hoarders to film or something?

Could also explain the five hour episodes.      

Congeats all for  cleaning up all the houses in America.  

• Love 2
On 3/31/2019 at 7:22 AM, Mothra said:

now I'm back to get the hoarder out of there and clean it up, if only for the sake of family and the neighbors. 

And if the Hoarder is of a certain age, place him or her in assisted living.

On 3/29/2019 at 10:07 PM, enoughcats said:

The Florida sun is not kind and at some point the tanned women look as if they were tanned as in worked leather taken off corpse animals. I've been at marinas in South Florida and that weathered look is common. 

Yep - we were in FL last Christmas visiting family and I was seated next to a really nice looking woman, in a somewhat darkened dinner theater, who mentioned she's in her early 80's.  I was shocked because she looked late 60's to me.  Then we stepped outside and......well she looked early 80's then, lol!!  Total leather skin.  And she was a smoker.

On 3/31/2019 at 5:50 PM, xwordfanatik said:

I wonder if a previous spouse died and left her a small fortune?  Surely her working salary wouldn't have been enough to buy three houses, and as you said, fill them with all that stuff?  

And her daughters are probably peeved that their inheritance is being spent this way.  Look, she can spend it any way she wants (and in full disclosure I told my mom to prepay her funeral and give it all to the Humane Society, I didn't care) but to see it spent on three hoarded houses as opposed to traveling through Europe, cruising and relaxing, not hoarding.

• Love 3
On 3/11/2019 at 12:21 PM, lovinbob said:

I kept thinking, there must be a drug that could unlock the steel trap of OCD hoarding in these people's brains. I think this is an extreme form of anxiety, no? 

Prozac is supposed to be good for OCD. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, funky-rat said:

Or she's a cheap-ass, and has tons of scrubs, and doesn't want to buy new clothes.

She said she was an ER nurse but my daughter is an ER nurse in South Florida and they don't wear a variety of scrubs - they wear one specific color when working in the hospital (to delineate them from other staff - she wears navy blue, patient care techs wear pink, unit secretaries wear a certain color, etc.  Perhaps they are scrubs she found in her travels. 

There are good meds for OCD - I had another daughter who had serious OCD while in college and she was prescribed Lexapro and it made a world of difference - but she also went to see a therapist and did CBT therapy. I doubt Patricia sees herself as a hoarder or as having a problem.  I have a friend who "collects" stuff and turns around and sells it for a pretty penny on Ebay. She even did the bulk pickup routine for a while. But she doesn't have piles of useless garbage in her yard or house and nobody is calling Code Enforcement on her. 

5 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

The Florida sun is not kind and at some point the tanned women look as if they were tanned as in worked leather taken off corpse animals. I've been at marinas in South Florida and that weathered look is common. 

I suspect those women who favor the Tandy Leather look are perhaps pickled with alcohol and are also smokers. Lots of us down here use sunscreen as a moisturizer. Skin cancer is a big deal down here as well although I can't imagine Patricia going to the dermatologist for a screening. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, DC Gal in VA said:

Okay, is anybody out there watching the "Three Amigos" tonight? Is this is a first, three hoarding siblings all on one show?

Please don't make me watch this one alone! Hee. ☺

I'm in!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

The accents, the mannerisms, the expressions they use...these people remind me of so many old Townies that I know around here. Even the shopping bags are from the local discount grocery store. They look so familiar. So glad I dont live next door to the though.

• Love 5
37 minutes ago, DC Gal in VA said:

Okay, is anybody out there watching the "Three Amigos" tonight? Is this is a first, three hoarding siblings all on one show?

Please don't make me watch this one alone! Hee. ☺

Here!

• Love 4

I can't look at Raymond and not see Gregg Allman:

2131543648_ScreenShot2019-04-02at8_40_32PM.png.910dd8bd1db1028482c1510cbbc7bcc6.png

Also, if I were a member of Raymond's church, I'd be nope-ing out of any of his contributions to the potluck suppers.

Just now, Suzywriter said:

These gents seem so sweet-natured that I can't hiss at them!

I know. I tuned in a few minutes late but so far these people are acting so nice to each other. They seem to care about each other. 

• Love 6

I'm in, too!

This is a sad hoarding situation, as all are, but these guys crack me up with their hoarding threesome.  

They are so earnest.

I really hope they all get their hoards under control.

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, Mongo Like Candy said:

Ok, what’s in that box with the purple label reading “a Smutty”?

Didn't see it and will go back and look, but there is a brewery around d here called Smuttynose, maybe some of that?

• Useful 3
  • Love 1

So, they have one crew that's going to try to clean out three separate houses in four days? Didn't we see this failure scenario last week already?

I spied some Cheez-Its in the rafters of Raymond's basement. Surely, they won't attract any rodents prior to being fed to some hapless congregant of his church 20 years from now.

(edited)

The smutty label was a few minutes into Donald’s house, on the right of the screen. I gotta wonder if the label was strategically placed on purpose (or what it says about me that I noticed it!).

Edited by Mongo Like Candy
Self-realization
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2

There seems to be a lot of black-and-white thinking with hoarders, as seen just now with Donald. If things can’t be done a certain way (namely, his way), it won’t be done at all. Is that some kind of justification for decades of inertia?

• Love 3

Two great things come to mind watching this episode:

1. There are no animals or children at risk, and

2. For all of the truly non-compliant on all of these shows, there is very compelling video evidence that whatever the jurisdiction, the officials and their neighbors have enough ammunition to just call it quits, throw away all that useless shit and, kick their asses out!

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, DC Gal in VA said:

That Dr. Green is awesome!

2 minutes ago, Midnightblue said:

OMG, the therapist did therapy and the patient gained I sight and learned from it!!!

Man, this is amazing. Especially for this show, where the hoarders are usually so resistant. 

• Love 11

I am so evil but.............. you mean the wife with COPD didn't just leap over the pile of crap as she previously said she would do? Seriously though, did her hubby just say something about her being a wide load? No, she's in danger there you idiot!

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

I love Matt Paxton but he grates my nerves just as much. "We're running out of time! We don't have enough trucks! We don't have enough people!" I blame the hoarders themselves for a lot of things but just because he is shitty at logistics is no reason for him to be a drama queen. And he was wrong—he didn't have three hoards to clean, he only had two. I think he must have pre-taped that talking head because, honestly, it's the same damn excuse every week. Give them more time, hire more people, and get more trucks. Oh! And don't take on multiple hoards for one show. Problem solved.

(edited)
43 minutes ago, Giant Misfit said:

I love Matt Paxton but he grates my nerves just as much. "We're running out of time! We don't have enough trucks! We don't have enough people!" I blame the hoarders themselves for a lot of things but just because he is shitty at logistics is no reason for him to be a drama queen. And he was wrong—he didn't have three hoards to clean, he only had two. I think he must have pre-taped that talking head because, honestly, it's the same damn excuse every week. Give them more time, hire more people, and get more trucks. Oh! And don't take on multiple hoards for one show. Problem solved.

And didn't he know that they would be working on the weekend and the dumps would be closed? Oh puleeze Matt! Who is going to remove all that shit on Tuesday?

Edited by DC Gal in VA
Because I really did mean shit and not shut, LOL!
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, DC Gal in VA said:

Seriously though, did her hubby just say something about her being a wide load? 

Was he talking about her and her oxygen hose?  I use oxygen (same green hose) and easily 25% of my time in my relatively clean house is hose coordination. Hose + Hoard = Hazard. 

• Love 6
1 minute ago, Mongo Like Candy said:

Was he talking about her and her oxygen hose?  I use oxygen (same green hose) and easily 25% of my time in my relatively clean house is hose coordination. Hose + Hoard = Hazard. 

I dunno, I was just so freaked out to hear that come out of his mouth! At least to me, it seemed as though he was trying to find another reason for her fall and not the obvious, that the house is packed with CRAP!

• Love 4