Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
CuriousParker

Hoarders

These update shows are so disappointing.  I was so excited to see the slurpy cup lady again, but  we didn't get to see her now at all, and the show didn't tell me anything I hadn't already learned here -- that she was divorced soon after the show and the husband had custody.  Word was she was bringing those boxes back in and unloading them within days.

• Like 3
  • Useful 2

Just watched a clip on [forbidden site] of Debra, the clothing hoarder (20K PIECES OF CLOTHING), and what a piece of crap she was.  If I were husband Ray, I would've taken those sweet kids and run for the hills.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

These update shows are so disappointing.  I was so excited to see the slurpy cup lady again, but  we didn't get to see her now at all, and the show didn't tell me anything I hadn't already learned here -- that she was divorced soon after the show and the husband had custody.  Word was she was bringing those boxes back in and unloading them within days.

If that's the lady in Kansas where someone loaned a semi trailer for a year or so, she was divorced, and the two kids were living with her parents, and the only time she saw them was when she lived at her mother's home.      The house was unlivable, and she never would let anything be trashed, she had them box everything.    After a year or so, the semi-trailer had to go back to the owner, so she moved all of the boxes back into the house. (I apologize if that's the wrong person). 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

I'm disappointed in these "update" shows. I'm interested in where the hoarders are now and how the families are doing. We don't see any of that - just the one update on Dave, the husband who eventually divorced his hoarder wife and got custody of his kids. And even that wasn't Dave himself; it was an update via Dorothy.

Also, what was up with Dorothy talking about what a success everything was for the family? The couple divorced and the mom lost custody of her kids (though it's good that they got to go back with Dad). It sounds like the hoarder never got any better (I can't remember her name). I guess things improved for the kids and the husband/dad but it wasn't quite the home run that Dorothy described it to be.

• Like 6

The lack of followups leads me to believe that:

a) there are very few TRUE success stories (and they've always been upfront that the chances are not great)

and

b) when there HAS been success, people are NOT eager to relive/broadcast their former pathology to the world and would prefer their current social circle to not witness it. The episodes may be available to people willing to stalk them, but not fresh in the minds of the cashier at the grocery store or the other folks at the retirement home.

For me the biggest successes have always been when the docs turn their focus to the families and help them come to grips with the fact that things aren't going to get better, permitting them to abandon that fantasy and make other plans, whether that includes alternative living arrangements/supervision for their parents, or distancing themselves from really awful family dynamics. A number of times I think they've brought critical external support to people who were under the spell of their disturbed relatives and hopefully set them on the way to better mental health. 

Did anybody else note in the first two clip episodes that they had obviously played with the speed? Like they shot 10 extra minutes and rather than cut it just ran it faster?  It was only in the Zasio/Corey segments where it would be less noticeable visually. Dr. Zasio was speaking so fast I could barely process what she was saying - thought it might be my tv, but commercials and other shows were fine.

The last one didn't have that problem until towards the very end - I had forgotten about it, and then near the end everything sped up again. 

• Like 4

When someone is a Level 5 hoarder (the ones we see on this show, stacked to the ceiling in every room, sometimes there are narrow paths, but usually that involves walking on the trash on the bottom too, there is no recovery.    If they wanted to help someone, they could pick a Level 1, before they start stacking stuff, and maybe stop hoarding from happening.   However, Level 5 hoarders are the ones that make for good TV, and that's all the producers care about.  

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

When someone is a Level 5 hoarder (the ones we see on this show, stacked to the ceiling in every room, sometimes there are narrow paths, but usually that involves walking on the trash on the bottom too, there is no recovery.    If they wanted to help someone, they could pick a Level 1, before they start stacking stuff, and maybe stop hoarding from happening.   However, Level 5 hoarders are the ones that make for good TV, and that's all the producers care about.  

True. I wonder though if it wouldn't be nice to see a good outcome sometimes, even if it wasn't quite such a dramatic transformation...

• Like 4

Was watching old Hoarders S 2. Young man in Vegas with "chronic disorganization", so not yet a horrible situation. He did well and there was a sense of optimism that he could be successful. He was a hobbyist, started beer making, knife making, etc.

• Like 4

On 5/31/2021 at 12:22 AM, BrownBear2012 said:

Pennsyltucky.

"Two big cities with Alabama in the middle." - James Carville

• Like 1

Do you think hoarders are constipated? I'm watching a rerun of Joni and Millie and there have been 3 different poop med commercials. 

• Laugh 1

15 hours ago, JunkFoodTV said:

Do you think hoarders are constipated? I'm watching a rerun of Joni and Millie and there have been 3 different poop med commercials. 

I'm guessing advertisers think that people who watch Hoarders are constipated.

Hoarders may be too, which maybe helps since they seldom have functional bathrooms.

• Like 2
  • Laugh 2

Book Hoarders:

It's been quite a while since I've watched Hoarders - has the (so-called) background music always been this loud, intense and overly dramatic? 

It overwhelmed the content and made trying to hear what was being said such a challenge I finally just watched the program on Closed Caption, something I rarely need to do on other sites.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Kenzie said:

It's been quite a while since I've watched Hoarders - has the (so-called) background music always been this loud, intense and overly dramatic? 

It overwhelmed the content and made trying to hear what was being said such a challenge I finally just watched the program on Closed Caption, something I rarely need to do on other sites.

Have you tried toggling the SAP setting on your TV?  We had a TV that did that on some shows (the background was so loud we couldn't hear dialogue), and we found that by turning the SAP on or off, it would help.

Just a word of warning.  SAP also sometimes plays some programs in Spanish or with background narration for the visually impaired (if the show is programmed for that), so you'd have to turn it back if you encounter weird stuff like that.  (Of course, you may already know that and I'm - unintentionally - sounding condescending.)

If you don't know how to do that on your TV, try google!!!!  

Edited by AZChristian · Reason: Added thought.
  • Useful 2

If the clean-up show is here to stay, I hope they'll be a place for it, but this may be just a one-off.
Cleanup Crew Stars In A&E Reality Show | New Haven Independent
https://www.newhavenindependent.org/index.php/archives/entry/sadies_cleaning_dirtyrottencleaners/

There were 3 different clean-up groups, and I didn't think they were wearing enough protection for some of the things.

Edited by auntjess
  • Useful 1

On 7/20/2021 at 9:59 PM, auntjess said:

If the clean-up show is here to stay, I hope they'll be a place for it, but this may be just a one-off.
Cleanup Crew Stars In A&E Reality Show | New Haven Independent
https://www.newhavenindependent.org/index.php/archives/entry/sadies_cleaning_dirtyrottencleaners/

There were 3 different clean-up groups, and I didn't think they were wearing enough protection for some of the things.

I just caught Ep1 and think it is a good companion for Hoarders, although for some reason I got a bit of a Storage Wars vibe (edited to add, after watching the second ep, I think it's the soundtrack that is similar to Storage Wars).  And, yes about them not wearing enough protection.  Right after explaining how dangerous inhaling german cockroach feces is, they show a woman with no mask sweeping it off a kitchen countertop.  I'm adding this show to my dvr lineup.

Edited by suzeecat · Reason: addition
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

On 7/26/2021 at 8:37 PM, fonfereksglen said:

Coming Clean.  This new iteration is ridiculous.  

It seems to just be the original episode with some spliced in interviews with the professionals... 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

9 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

It seems to just be the original episode with some spliced in interviews with the professionals...

Yes.  I don't see how they get away with calling these things "New." Last night I waited two hours just to see Dorothy, all bug eyed and overly excited, saying it was one of the most beautiful houses she had worked in.  I was hoping for an update beyond the black screen of justice we had seen before.

I was reminded of how disturbed this whole episode made me.  Yes, Carol was foul mouthed and bitter and should never have spent all that money on all that junk.  But I kept waiting for someone maybe, Dr. Tolin, to point out how unreasonable and vicious Dave's family was being.  It might have once been "the family home" but after Dave and Carol got married it was their home. Carol could not have obtained that second mortgage without his signature.

They all, even Dorothy, kept referring to the place as Be's house and it was all Be's nice things and I could not believe they put Be's portrait up in the dinning room. It started to remind me of "Rebecca." Women marry widowers all the time and they aren't expected to spend the rest of their lives acting as curator to the first wife's museum.

When Dr. Tolin took the sons into the basement for the first time since Be killed herself and asked them what they were feeling, what did they say?  Not, "Oh, Mom I'm so sorry you felt that way," or "Oh Mom, why did you leave us?"  but "I feel furious.  At Carol."  

Right.  I think they transferred their anger and hurt over their mother's suicide to Carol from the very first. Gathering silly "evidence" against Carol because she was over there a lot and once used Carol's car to run some errands. Missy was a nasty beast and I'm sure she's the one who taught her daughter that sense of entitlement over her grandfather's house.

My parents had a female friend who was over at my father's house all the time after my mother suddenly died.  She was there because he begged her to come early and stay late because he was devastated and hated to be alone.  About a year later he proposed to her but she turned him down.  I'll bet Carol wishes she had been that smart.

• Like 1

This episode was really disturbing. It's clear that everyone hero worships Be, but it seemed clear to me that everything people loved about Be - her constant cleaning, her outgoing nature, her readiness to host 50 people in her house at the drop of a hat - were all symptoms of a manic phase. I think the family has completely sugar coated her memory and the thing they dislike most about Carol is that she is not Be. I disliked Carol intensely but I also felt sorry for her. I think that she really did love Dave and the family was clearly never going to believe that she was with him for any reason other than his money and his beautiful house.

You could tell, though, that that house in its heyday, was gorgeous. I hope someone got ahold of it, polished and refinished all those gorgeous wood floors, stairs and handrails, and restored it to its former beauty. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

This episode was really disturbing. It's clear that everyone hero worships Be, but it seemed clear to me that everything people loved about Be - her constant cleaning, her outgoing nature, her readiness to host 50 people in her house at the drop of a hat - were all symptoms of a manic phase. I think the family has completely sugar coated her memory and the thing they dislike most about Carol is that she is not Be. I disliked Carol intensely but I also felt sorry for her. I think that she really did love Dave and the family was clearly never going to believe that she was with him for any reason other than his money and his beautiful house.

You could tell, though, that that house in its heyday, was gorgeous. I hope someone got ahold of it, polished and refinished all those gorgeous wood floors, stairs and handrails, and restored it to its former beauty. 

It was an impossible position for Carol to be coming into a family with teen age children who clearly adored their mother. Even though she had been good friends with both Dave and Be, it was too soon for them to shack up and marry. I can understand the anger and betrayal they might have felt towards their father and Carol for doing this so soon after Be passed. This was a traumatic death for kids to deal with...a suicide in the house, a hanging no less, is very hard on families. They needed therapy as a family and a time for healing before bringing Carol into the mix.

I have mixed feelings about Carol...there was some narcissism there mixed in with a sense of entitlement. She lacked empathy and seemed to also have some cognitive issues. From the sons point of view they saw her as someone who moved into the house but failed to make it a home. She imposed her hoarding illness on them and trashed their family home. I get it! In their minds she disrespected their mother and her memory...she mistreated their father and showed a coldness about him and his health. She has a mental illness and needs treatment but of course she stubbornly refused after care. I sympathize with her but feel that she did little to try to bond with Dave's family. She seemed resentlful of their grief at the loss of their mother...her passive aggressive act of selling Be's car that was suppossed to be given to the granddaughter when she turned 16 was cold and cruel. 

Dave seemed to be very passive and lacked any backbone...I get the impression that he allowed her to run roughshod over him and the kids. It was sad to see him sitting there amongst the mouse droppings gasping for oxygen. He just did not have the strength or the will to fight...very sad.

Final thought...Carol had a potty mouth.

• Like 3

Carol was a selfish hosebeast who chased Dave's family away. I also think she is mentally ill with all the mind changing - not caring - o wait I do care - throw it all away - o no not that - and her bullshit story about not having a say in what the family did and then parking herself at the door so she could see what was going on. The way she would confront then retreat constantly looking down and not meeting anyones eyes. They said she was living with her son-where was he when the clean up was going on? Did she hoard up his house too? It was a shame that Dave died and the family lost the house anyway.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Maisiesmom said:

Carol was a selfish hosebeast who chased Dave's family away.

I agree about Carol, but those sons both said they hadn't been in the house since the day their mother died.  Their father didn't marry Carol for a year and a half so that's a long time to leave your grieving dad alone, just because you don't like the woman friend who's hanging around.  Carol wouldn't have had  the power to chase grown men out of their father's house if they had an ounce of gumption.  It seems like they were ready to abandon him completely until  Missy got the idea of getting that house for herself. 

I thought Carol and Missy were well matched for the hosebeast medal. No wonder Dave was hiding on the other side of the house.

• Like 2

that's a long time to leave your grieving dad alone

They may not have gone in the house but that doesn't mean they left their dad alone. Maybe they hosted him in their homes or went out to eat with him? And at one point, one of the sons moved Dave into his home.

There's new UK show called Nick Knowles' Big House Clearance where they clear out the entire house and rebuild it in a 100000sq foot warehouse.  The mom in the first episode said "It's a lot easier to see what you have when it's spread out like this.  We really don't need four frying pans."  THAT'S WHAT WE'VE BEEN SAYING!  People on Hoarders can't see what they have when it's buried under years of crap.

• Like 2

On 6/23/2021 at 2:40 AM, Elizzikra said:

Also, what was up with Dorothy talking about what a success everything was for the family? The couple divorced and the mom lost custody of her kids (though it's good that they got to go back with Dad). It sounds like the hoarder never got any better (I can't remember her name). I guess things improved for the kids and the husband/dad but it wasn't quite the home run that Dorothy described it to be.

Dorothy is completely full of $h!t, honestly.

• Like 3