Type keyword(s) to search

Hoarders - General Discussion

• Start Topic

That one was a piece of work ! I could tell a few minutes in she was a totally desperate case. It's obvious to me she's always had mental issues and suffers from some sort of hysteria & paranoia. She lives in her fantasy world and there's absolutely no way out for her. I've ran across a few people like her in my life, and It's really no use to deal with them : she's constantly lying, and when she's not she's not in touch with reality. There's no getting through to people like that, it's a waste of time and energy. Due to that there was literally zero point in Zasio being there. Cindy's really lucky to have met enablers like her old sugar daddy, if she hadn't she would have been in trouble much, much earlier in her life. Isn't it sad to have wasted a life and a fortune over such a pile of sh|t !

Seems Cindy has a strained relationship with her sisters, from what I could gather from the episode. Not surprising, of course.

I agree with people who pointed out similarities with "Julian Price" Sandra, they're from the same mold : old hysterical belles, who have completely divorced from reality, and who can't have their way in life anymore because their charm has faded.

I'm glad Cody washed his hands on his mother, that was the thing I was waiting to know about, good for him. Let her die crushed under a pile of her "assets". Well, it won't happen since she'll probably be homeless soon.

But still, it made for a more entertaining episode than the previous one ! lol

I'm surprised we still haven't got a shocking poop/dead cats episode yet this season...

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Ligeia said:

I'm surprised we still haven't got a shocking poop/dead cats episode yet this season...

I am so happy we haven’t! The shows were getting so very dark and depressing, they were too horrid to enjoy in any way. I very much prefer the “clean” hoards of too much stuff, to the ones with stored human waste and animal carcasses.

• Love 8
15 hours ago, Mojeaux said:

Do you remember that one episode where the guy had sex toys and he didn't want to show them? They shamed him into digging them out and then shamed him for having them. I believe that was Dorothy.

Dorothy was there, but Dr Chabeaux (sp) was the one who made him talk about his sex toys with his pearl-clutching sisters. 

That whole episode was disgusting and played for drama. 

• Love 3
20 minutes ago, NoSpam said:

Dorothy was there, but Dr Chabeaux (sp) was the one who made him talk about his sex toys with his pearl-clutching sisters. 

Wow - you know, I'd forgotten all about Dr. Suzanne Chabaud of the earlier seasons! I called her the "Southern Belle therapist" as she was Louisiana-educated and based - just pictured her saying "Well bless your little heart, you ARE trying", and as the old joke goes, "'bless your little heart' is just Southern for 'Eff you!'

y5ajsyxh

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

My guess is that the money Cody had was somehow controlled by Cindy, since he was under 18.   It could have been inheritance, or his accumulate Social Security payments, if the man was his biological or adoptive father (I missed a few minutes of the beginning, so I'm not sure of the relationships).    Also, maybe gifts over the years, or Cody worked too.      However, I'm betting that amount of land wasn't that expensive, and Cindy kept it for her own anyway, so Cody never had any real control over it.  

My guess is Cody would have assumed control over his own accounts when he hit 18, so telling him what a great deal that land was, and Cindy putting it in her name was the only way she could get him to buy her the land.    Cody owned some of the cars, and if they were titled in his name, he should have sold them.  I find it ridiculous at how much Cindy claimed she could get for wrecked vehicles.  

They're rerunning the Cindy episode on Monday 14 September 5-7 p.m. Central, before the next new episode at 7 pm Central, about John. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3

My guess is that money was in trust for Cody, but Cindy was in charge until he turned 18.  At age 17 she convinced him to buy the land "for his future."  It was her way of getting her hands on his money.  She never intended on turning the land over to him.

• Useful 2
  • Love 7

Scheduling note, brought to you by the letters, "H", "A"&"E", and the echoing weeping carried on the wind of the "piles of lawnmowers laying outdoors", otherwise cool out-of-print books ruined by rodent droppings and cockroach eggs, and stacks of thrift-store bag purchases still unpacked, as depicted in past episodes:

Looks like (via TVDB) nothing new is airing on Labor Day, this coming September 7th - but the show returns with a September 14th new episode, "John". Hope everyone here who might get a little extra time off enjoys the weekend!

Edited by RobustRutabaga
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3

Yes, the "Cindy is a good person" was garbage.   She kept the land her son purchased, because she could, trashed that land and house, and all of the refusal to pay made me livid.     Non-paying tenants for storage facilities, and that little storefront (at the same place as the storage units) are a big reason some of them go out of business.    The landlord for the storage place should have started eviction proceedings after she didn't pay for the first month.    The fact that she claims that her house and property were stolen from her, after she didn't pay the mortgage is ludicrous.    She abandoned her son to party, she stole from him, and not paying the mortgage holders, and rental property owners is theft too.    

The saddest part is that her son and daughter-in-law will probably have Cindy show up at their front door after the county really does show up with bull dozers, and either condemn the property, or sell for back fines, after they clear it.  If they're smart they shouldn't let her past the front door, or she'll never leave.  I feel sorry for who ever buys that land, because I bet Cindy will harass them forever. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 7
On 9/4/2020 at 10:27 AM, RobustRutabaga said:

Scheduling note, brought to you by the letters, "H", "A"&"E", and the echoing weeping carried on the wind of the "piles of lawnmowers laying outdoors", otherwise cool out-of-print books ruined by rodent droppings and cockroach eggs, and stacks of thrift-store bag purchases still unpacked, as depicted in past episodes:

Looks like (via TVDB) nothing new is airing on Labor Day, this coming September 7th - but the show returns with a September 14th new episode, "John". Hope everyone here who might get a little extra time off enjoys the weekend!

That is correct. A special on Ozzy will air instead of hoarders. 

Sunday Hoarders featured Anne from Georgia who loved her Christmas crap and  candle collection more than her sad, whipped, diabetic husband.  The husband kept trying to tell her that one gigantic box of candles was the agreed limit and she couldn't keep the extra nutcracker one, but Anne informed him that he was being obsessive about that candle and he slumped off.  You know you've lost all your manly gumption when quiet, soft spoken  Dr. Tompkins is giving you assertiveness training and losing patience.  Anne was really pretty despicable for one so young. 

Anne was paired with the  aptly named Skanks who had one of the most garbage-like hoards of all time.  Their soggy papers and half empty food containers made Anne's perfumed lotions and Christmas decorations look pretty by contrast, but it was ruined because Anne was there, in the middle of it,  like some sour Mrs. Grinch who stole it all from some innocent child.

• LOL 6
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

Sunday Hoarders featured Anne from Georgia who loved her Christmas crap and  candle collection more than her sad, whipped, diabetic husband.

Delightful recap! 🙂    I had to refresh myself on that episode with this clip and remembered it. Sad to see the husband just sitting there amongst piles of junk.

I believe we've seen a few people profiled on "Hoarders" episodes who are passionate about their Christmas stuff, whether they come out and say that or the camera pans by boxes and containers labelled as such. I wonder if that percentage is no different than the general population (just manifests itself through hoarding behavior) for being into seasonal decorations and that holiday, or if there's some psychological association there? Maybe recalling a happier time, childhood Christmas memories, being around family, etc.   I also suppose that if one has a desire to collect "stuff", Christmas items might be attractive as they're usually sold cheaply (especially week-after-Christmas), can be hung up all over, endless variations, etc.   

• Love 2

I just watched Dennis’ episode. This reminds me so much of my Aunt & my cousin and where they will be in a year or two without help. They aren’t there yet but what’s happened in the last year let’s me know the type of situation shown on this show was possible. 

I think Dennis and Judy started the shopping together, and when Judy got sick, Dennis spiraled, the hoarding was a way of dealing with his caregiver fatigue and the grief of losing his wife (mentally). 

I certainly understand why people want to be cared for in their own home- the quality of life is better, it’s safer and cleaner (ya know, unless your caregiver is a hoarder!!!), and after this pandemic I’ve never been more grateful my sister is at home with us, but that requires the caregiver being mentally sound, managing their funds well and knowing how to manage caregiving staff etc so they don’t get burnt out. 

• Love 2
On 8/29/2020 at 7:45 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

The price Louvina quoted was for a 1 bedroom in Daphne, AL.     It's a high cost area (I live across the state from there), and $900 was on the low side for an apartment complex with amenities.   Also, I don't think anyone would rent a one bedroom to an adult, and two kids, plus the boyfriend might move back too.    Four people in a one bedroom isn't right.     The strange thing about prices in that area is that the home buying prices aren't much different where I live, but the apartment and home rental prices are a lot higher.     It's a desirable area because it's close to the shore, but raised up so it doesn't flood.     It was fine all through the hurricanes that have come near there.    Whatever happens, Louvina needs to get away from her mother's place, it was so obvious that Flora didn't want them there.    I think part of the reason Flora didn't really mind the roaches is because the hoard, and the vermin kept other people away. 

I just saw this episode. I agree. If Louvina will have any chance of raising her children in a healthy way, she needs to get away from her mom. Flora is an awful human being and isnt the “help” Louvina thinks she is. 

Seems Louvina had a relationship with her brothers but they may not have had room for her/her kids OR their partners/wives/GF’s might have said “nope” to them moving in. My motto is “you can’t live here!” If one of her brothers has the means getting her a trailer that’s clean and in a safe spot might be the best bet.

Looking at Louvina I saw how the cycle of dysfunction can repeat itself- despite good intentions. Anyone can get pests, but if you don’t have funds to deal with the infestation, are living in under a dishonest landlord, have small children to support on a low income, things spiral. Louvina has an eviction on her record so she’s never going to be able to rent from a large rental establishment again. Her best bet maybe a small, private landlord who wants to give her a chance to get on her feet. And the fiancé- please, when you choose to have children it’s up to YOU to find a safe place for them to be. Anyone can fall on hard times but I get the suspicion that he hightailed it back to his Mom’s like a little boy because it was easier. Louvina was at least making steps to improve her situation. 

• Love 9

Sorry, but in Louvina's case, where she was evicted for not paying, and had an infestation of roaches, I wouldn't let her in my house either.     Best way to get roaches in your house, is bring in food, or other items with roaches hiding in it.    I wouldn't be surprised to find out Louvina's roach infestation came from her mother's pile of junk, and infected her apartment.  

One of these days, when the mother's home is either caved in, or bulldozed, she's going to come looking for someone to move in on, and I hope everyone in the family says no.      You know she'll never stop hoarding, and she wouldn't be the first hoarder to move in with a friend or relative, and start hoarding.    Bet her roach infestation will be coming along too.

My personal rule is no one stays here but me, I might make an exception for the nice man next door, but he's not the type who would stay here forever.      Definitely no one in my family, who are not only potential squatters, but married into interesting families that have similar past actions.     In some jurisdictions if someone gets their mail delivered at your address, it gives them legal standing as residents.     Even non-paying guests become tenants very quickly.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
26 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Sorry, but in Louvina's case, where she was evicted for not paying, and had an infestation of roaches, I wouldn't let her in my house either.     Best way to get roaches in your house, is bring in food, or other items with roaches hiding in it.    I wouldn't be surprised to find out Louvina's roach infestation came from her mother's pile of junk, and infected her apartment.  

Oh I agree!

Im not saying it was anyone’s responsibility to give Louvina and her kids a place to live, but even if Louvina was 100% committed to not turning into her mother (and people believed her) for a variety of reasons they wouldn’t want her living with them. 

That’s why I said a clean trailer in a safe spot might be best. Don’t bring anything, the kids are small and they live in a warm climate, 3 outfits a piece until she can get back on her feet. 

Friends of mine took in their nephews who had become homeless last year, when they went to get them from the shelter they had new outfits and toiletry bags for them to to bring them home in. They were not letting them bring anything into the house. 

• Love 6
On 9/8/2020 at 12:13 PM, Scarlett45 said:

My motto is “you can’t live here!”

LOL What a great motto!  I might do a needle point of that and hang it in my kitchen.  I love my family, but they come to visit and  after a few days they start sinking into the furniture and I get worried.  Nope, I did not blame those nice young brothers one bit for not inviting their sister and her children to come to stay.  Because stay they probably would until the kids were old enough to bring the next generation home.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
19 minutes ago, JudyObscure said:

LOL What a great motto!  I might do a needle point of that and hang it in my kitchen.  I love my family, but they come to visit and  after a few days they start sinking into the furniture and I get worried.  Nope, I did not blame those nice young brothers one bit for not inviting their sister and her children to come to stay.  Because stay they probably would until the kids were old enough to bring the next generation home.  

Yes. The only dependent being of this species I let live in my home is the one my mother birthed. And she can’t talk back or make any decisions so it’s emotionally easy. 

Im all for “helping” people who genuinely fell on hard times and are trying to improve their situation (if someone has the means to help), but don’t enable, and don’t sacrifice your own peace and mental well being by opening up your home to dysfunction. 

Louvina needs to get away from her Mom- full stop. Or she may end up just like her. It does hurt me to see so many young women with promise make their lives harder by choosing to have babies young, with no way to support them properly and entrap themselves in a cycle of poverty. Because you know, if Louvina was just by herself, she likely could’ve stayed with a brother or gotten a room somewhere- when it’s just YOU it’s so much easier to get through a hard time. Add in two little babies and it’s a damn mess. 

• Love 5
12 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Too bad Louvinia has a feckless “fiancé” who won’t step up to the plate and take care of his kids. He should be helping her find/fund a safe, clean place to live.

Good gosh, yes.  I'll be showing my age here but calling someone who has already fathered two kids with you your "fiance" just seems so basakwards to me. These guys get girls pregnant and then decide they "aren't ready for marriage."  It makes me want to point a shotgun at them and say, "Are you ready now?"  Louvinia's man should find a house and a job and let Louvinia stay home and raise the kids the first few years. She probably can't earn enough to make paying childcare costs worthwhile.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

Good gosh, yes.  I'll be showing my age here but calling someone who has already fathered two kids with you your "fiance" just seems so basakwards to me. These guys get girls pregnant and then decide they "aren't ready for marriage."  It makes me want to point a shotgun at them and say, "Are you ready now?"  Louvinia's man should find a house and a job and let Louvinia stay home and raise the kids the first few years. She probably can't earn enough to make paying childcare costs worthwhile.

Louvinia's "fiance" is one of those feckless men who buys one box of diapers and says, defensively, "I take care of mah kids!" as though that's something noble. Dude, that's the bare minimum a father should do. You ain't getting a medal for that. 

• Love 6
22 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

feckless

And the question is: Name one of the oxen in the excellent and obscure movie " Cold Comfort Farm".

And the New Orleans wisdom applies here:

House guests and fish begin to smell after three days.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
12 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

And I also don’t understand committing yourself to a man physically and emotionally who WONT provide for the children he helped you create*. He can watch the kids and you could work or vice versa, but he just left you? Hell no. Sex is easy to get, buy a vibrator or find a fuck buddy who will wrap it up and give you a free meal. I can’t blame the men, Louvina was a willing participant in this arrangement- and you aren’t showing your age, I’m 34!

“I can do bad by myself!”

*I don’t mean can’t- as in he got sick or something that’s outside of his control. Good men and women fall ill and sometimes can’t parent. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, enoughcats said:

And the question is: Name one of the oxen in the excellent and obscure movie " Cold Comfort Farm".

That movie is hilarious! My boyfriend 😏Rufus Sewell was so hot in it as the hunky Seth...

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

And I also don’t understand committing yourself to a man physically and emotionally who WONT provide for the children he helped you create*. He can watch the kids and you could work or vice versa, but he just left you? Hell no. Sex is easy to get, buy a vibrator or find a fuck buddy who will wrap it up and give you a free meal. I can’t blame the men, Louvina was a willing participant in this arrangement- and you aren’t showing your age, I’m 34!

Well Louvinia definitely doesn't seem to be a very bright person. That being said, she does excel in the role of the victim.

• Love 4
On 9/10/2020 at 6:02 PM, aquarian1 said:

Matt's "behind the scenes" clip

Thanks for this!

Couldn't help but notice that slide whistle effect heard in the "generic royalty-free stock music library" selection from 1:38 to 1:56 in this clip is totally a paler ripoff of that sound from "Groove is In The Heart". 😂    The whole track really leans on that. Is nothing scared, "Hoarders"?! Nothing?!

Edited by RobustRutabaga
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
21 hours ago, enoughcats said:

Oh, hell. I can't remember the names of the oxen, but will this do?  I saw something nasty in the woodshed! Off to watch it and enjoy some young Rufus Sewell 🤗

• Love 2
18 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

That movie is hilarious! My boyfriend 😏Rufus Sewell was so hot in it as the hunky Seth...

Haha! I didn't see your post before I posted. Can we share Rufus? I'm getting old, so I won't need him much😂

Topic: Cindy is a waste of oxygen. I hope the county came in and bulldozed everything while she stomped her feet, shook her fist and whined about her freedom.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
22 hours ago, enoughcats said:

You guys have piqued my interest.  Just ordered the DVD from the library.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Ligeia said:

Is season 11 finished ? It says so on wikipedia.

Based on the TVDB Entry it looks like tonight's episode is the end.

Also, I find it interesting the UK rise of similar programs in recent years - I was watching odds & ends on Youtube over the weekend and it's quite the craze. There's "Hoarders: Buried Alive in my Bedroom", "Hoarders: Junk Apocalypse", "Britain's Biggest Hoarders", and "Hoarder SOS". Plus "Call the Cleaners" and "Storage Hoarders".

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

She's never been in his house during their 15 year relationship, and yet she's surprised at the interior of the house?   The woman does realize this is being filmed for Hoarders?        Also, he's been run out of everyone of his kid's houses, and they still let him come to their house?    This man will not change, and I hope for once code enforcement nails him.  

Just because one sister has been foolish enough to let this man ruin her life for two years, then it's not her sisters' fault. I wouldn't let a relative of mine on my property that is a hoarder.       They're only saying this bee issue is slowing down the process for TV.    This man will never stop hoarding.    My guess, he'll never fix the house up, the rats will come back, and he's going to live with the daughter forever.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • LOL 1

John was seriously depressed, as it was noted at the beginning. Maybe suffering from dementia. How was he going to have a relationship?  Saddest episode I may have seen. And maybe the worst hoarding damage I can recall, esp since it been going on so many years. 

• Love 3
7 hours ago, QuinnInND said:

Only 8 episodes this time? I wonder if that's because they're doing 2 hours per hoarder or because they had to stop because of covid.

I think the episodes are 2 hours because of covid, but the people have mostly been way too unlikable to bear for 2 hours.

When covid restrictions are over, the viewers DESERVE a show, where the whole damn city shows up, and everything is removed while the hoarder is protesting that food dates are just suggestions.
WE  the viewers, have earned this.
As the camera pans away, the hoarder is sitting on the curb of an empty house in a vacant yard.
Yes, I'm a bitch.

• LOL 12
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, PaulaO said:

Watching John on tonight’s episode.  His girlfriend of 15 years has never been in his house.  I’d rather die alone than have a “relationship” with a toothless hoarder.

Well since she was with him when he was married, she needed to reevaluate her relationship anyway. They said they had been together for 15 years, which would be 2004, as this was filmed last year. He got divorced in 2008. 

The most satisfying thing was watching that forklift destroy that camper. John should have taken the $65,000. Maybe he could buy a boat for that motor he kept. It was cool that his dad cleaned Lucille Balls pool.  

• Useful 3
  • Love 3

At least Corpse Kenny Rogers was involved in aftercare. I hate that he probably hastened his mother’s death by ruining her clean home. BTW, where would the funds come from to make that place livable? I wonder if John couldn’t get more than $65K by razing the place and selling the lot?

• Useful 2
  • Love 5