Type keyword(s) to search

Hoarders - General Discussion

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I suspect a lot of 'donations' on this show go right to the dump.  It's not right to send stuff that's obviously trash, and vermin infested to a charity, and shift the expense of getting the contaminated stuff to the dump onto that organization.   I'm guessing a lot of trash from this show has to go to the biohazard part of the dump too.  .    

My ex mother in law was mildly a hoarder of the tackiest crap on the planet (think velvet Jesus tapestries - Lawdy). Early on I was told "if mom offers you ANYTHING, take it!". I would and then toss it as soon as I got home if not on the way. It was always in questionable condition at best.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, enoughcats said:

I went to sleep trying to figure out what was different in his letting go.  Was it the sheer mass of stuff?  Normally (not that there is any normal in hoarding) we'd see the "I have to touch every piece" syndrome.  

First, he must know that he couldn't possibly touch every piece, even given the rest of his life.  

Which led to the question, how the heck did he accumulate that much weight and volume just in the back yard.  The stuff moved from Pennsylvania was still there, untouched, but it represented a decade or two of accumulation.  Both his children had moved to CA and he and his wife moved there to be near them.  That can't have been more than a decade ago, because the son and daughter weren't that old.

Take away the time spent doing the necessities for Judith,  and that for several years, how much did Dennis buy in a year, five years to fill all that space, how much in a day?  Not just the bread trucks (maybe a one time purchase) but all the wood (bet he got it delivered to the roof?) and all the things that were no longer recognizable. 

Apparently they had moved into that house 8 years ago.  It was just amazing how much crap he brought with him, and who knows how much of it was bought since coming to California. I'm just glad he finally let it all go. We'll, as much as they could move in 4 days. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I suspect a lot of 'donations' on this show go right to the dump.  It's not right to send stuff that's obviously trash, and vermin infested to a charity. . . 

There used to be a "joke" among church folk.

A woman was cleaning out her freezer and found a frozen turkey that was 2 years past its expiration date.  Her son was going to throw it in the trash.  She yelled at him, "Don't throw that away.  We can donate it to the church for their food boxes for next Thanksgiving."

Sadly, it was true.  At the places I've volunteered, we would not give expired food to those in need of help.  It went from the "donations in" section to the "trash out" section.  

If you wouldn't eat it or feed it to your family, why would you want someone else to eat it?

• Love 9

This might be the first time ever I feel genuine sympathy for a hoarder in this show. Dennis kinda reminded me of my father in the way he took care of his sick wife. I even had to repress a tear when they discovered the cleaned out home, lol ! Despite his tantrums he seemed to have kept some reason and to be redeemable.

Hope he's gonna keep on the right track.

• Love 7

3 hours ago, aquarian1 said:

Yes!  His very first talking head I had to do a double take.  

I did a double take almost every time they showed him!

3 hours ago, QuinnInND said:

I've never heard them say that the donation places wouldn't take the stuff before though. I agree that 99% of the stuff I've seen go into the "donate" pile on this show over the years should be trashed. 

I was thinking, "don't tell him; just trash it and let him think it was donated." But then if he found out the truth later maybe that would be worse. I dunno.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

Whatever tiny shred of empathy I might have had for this hoarder disappeared when he said he didn't think there was a problem because his wife hadn't complained. His wife, with advanced Parkinson, who was so ill and emaciated that (with all due respect to her) she looked like a reanimated corpse, who could not walk or speak, or protest at how she was being forced to live. He was allowing her to live in that hovel. Because. She. Had. Not. Complained.  What an absolute PoS of a husband he was, with all his declarations of how much he loved his wife, yet was content for her to live in a rat-infested trashpile that she had no escape from.

Yay for Matt. But I think pitching this as 'Code Enforcement will take the house' wasn't enough. I think there should have been more emphasis on Adult Protective Services taking Judith into care if he didn't clean the place up.

I suspect there was a vile temper that the children had been subjected to over the years, possibly leading to their reluctance to confront their father in the past, until they had the support of experts on scene.

• Love 12

My husband always puts crappy (not literally!) stuff in the donation box we keep in the garage. I've tried to explain that it mostly goes to charity secondhand storefronts and no one wants his tennis shoes with a hole in the toe or stained shirt. And that he's making more work for the orgs to have to throw his unusable things away. Doesn't seem to get through to him so I just sort/trash before I donate it. 

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, essexjan said:

Whatever tiny shred of empathy I might have had for this hoarder disappeared when he said he didn't think there was a problem because his wife hadn't complained. His wife, with advanced Parkinson, who was so ill and emaciated that (with all due respect to her) she looked like a reanimated corpse, who could not walk or speak, or protest at how she was being forced to live

Thinking of her level of emaciation, they showed a stack of plastic containers that are used for people who have to be fed directly into the abdomen via a feeding tube.  When one of the kids said that the mother was fed through a tube, I was confused and then concerned about him squirting the liquid into her mouth.  How well could she swallow?  Was he doing that because it was easier for him than maintaining a sanitary stoma in her abdomen?  Was she getting an adequate number of calories orally rather than what she would get through the stoma?  She was dangerously thin.

When he turned on the TV "for her" and then sat down next to her with a book, I wondered why he didn't put down the book and clean up some of the mess!!!  I sure couldn't live like that.  I'm about 180 degrees from how he kept that house.  I'm more of a Petunia Dursley housekeeper.  

• Love 2

I've never heard them say that the donation places wouldn't take the stuff before though. I agree that 99% of the stuff I've seen go into the "donate" pile on this show over the years should be trashed. 

Maybe there was just too much of it at any one time for an organization to take? I agree that most of what was there was probably not usable but Matt specifically said that two organizations turned it away. I think he would know what to even offer a charity that would have a good chance of being accepted - at least long enough to be sorted.

Thinking of her level of emaciation, they showed a stack of plastic containers that are used for people who have to be fed directly into the abdomen via a feeding tube.  When one of the kids said that the mother was fed through a tube, I was confused and then concerned about him squirting the liquid into her mouth.  How well could she swallow?  Was he doing that because it was easier for him than maintaining a sanitary stoma in her abdomen?  Was she getting an adequate number of calories orally rather than what she would get through the stoma?  She was dangerously thin.

I was curious about that too because he definitely used a syringe to give her what looked like cranberry juice. But then they showed tube feeding bags. Maybe she can swallow some liquids but most of her nutrition comes via feeding tube? I'd be amazed that she didn't have constant infections too but he also said she had an ostomy bag that he emptied each morning - that would be as much of an infection risk as a feeding tube. Either way, she definitely looked very thin and as though she wasn't getting sufficient calories.

When he turned on the TV "for her" and then sat down next to her with a book, I wondered why he didn't put down the book and clean up some of the mess!!!  I sure couldn't live like that.  I'm about 180 degrees from how he kept that house.  I'm more of a Petunia Dursley housekeeper.  

I think she could watch tv and understand it. But I think he was completely overwhelmed - he said he was - and that was part of the reason he didn't start cleaning. He literally did not know where to begin.

Edited by Elizzikra
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, Elizzikra said:

Maybe there was just too much of it at any one time for an organization to take? I agree that most of what was there was probably not usable but Matt specifically said that two organizations turned it away. I think he would know what to even offer a charity that would have a good chance of being accepted - at least long enough to be sorted.

No proof, but I had a sense that Matt contacted the charities and made the offer, the charities came out and looked, and turned it down.  Had it been usable, the charities would likely have taken as much as they COULD use, but if it was all junk . . . no, thank you.

• Love 3

I think the mom is probably a hoarder too. I mean, at first it was the two of them going to thrift stores etc. They started the hoard together. And she didn't look very happy with the cleaned house, they had to ask for a smile lol.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Ligeia said:

I think the mom is probably a hoarder too. I mean, at first it was the two of them going to thrift stores etc. They started the hoard together. And she didn't look very happy with the cleaned house, they had to ask for a smile lol.

I don't think we can judge her lack of reaction...The mom was ill and didn't appear to have use of her full cognitive abilities. Even the husband said the light in her was gone. Parkinson's is incredibly heartbreaking and progressive. She may not have even known where she was...

• Love 6
4 hours ago, mamadrama said:

I don't think we can judge her lack of reaction...The mom was ill and didn't appear to have use of her full cognitive abilities. Even the husband said the light in her was gone. Parkinson's is incredibly heartbreaking and progressive. She may not have even known where she was...

^^Sadly, that's very true. A close relative lived a pretty good life for several years after being diagnosed with Parkinson's, but her final few years were horrific. Loss of cognitive abilities as well as physical functioning. She was well cared for and passed peacefully.  May she be turning cartwheels and laughing out loud, wherever she is now. 

• Love 11
8 hours ago, Ligeia said:

One of the manifestations of the later stages of Parkinson's is what is called a "mask-like" face.  The entire body experiences loss of muscle function, including the face.  It's not that she "didn't" look very happy; I suspect she "couldn't" look happy.  Or sad.  Or angry.

I do agree that she likely added to the hoard before her illness became so severe.  I just wonder if she would still choose to live that way if she were able to communicate.  She may not have wanted to live in a care facility at the beginning, but I suspect that her physical comfort (feeding, diapering) would be more consistently addressed by professionals.  I don't doubt Dennis loves her, but he's a retired architect who makes bad decisions day after day.  He's not a health-care professional who recognizes that being in that filthy, unsafe environment is not in his and his wife's best interests.

• Love 6
22 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

One of the manifestations of the later stages of Parkinson's is what is called a "mask-like" face.  The entire body experiences loss of muscle function, including the face.  It's not that she "didn't" look very happy; I suspect she "couldn't" look happy.  Or sad.  Or angry.

I do agree that she likely added to the hoard before her illness became so severe.  I just wonder if she would still choose to live that way if she were able to communicate.  She may not have wanted to live in a care facility at the beginning, but I suspect that her physical comfort (feeding, diapering) would be more consistently addressed by professionals.  I don't doubt Dennis loves her, but he's a retired architect who makes bad decisions day after day.  He's not a health-care professional who recognizes that being in that filthy, unsafe environment is not in his and his wife's best interests.

Seeing this episode made me want to tell my husband to put me in a care facility if I could no longer control my bodily functions. My mom used to say she wanted to stay in her own home. But as her memory began to fade, she needed more and more care. When she moved into an assisted living facility, her life improved so much! The social activities they had were so much better than her isolation.

Its nice to see a relatively positive outcome on the show. Matt Paxton was super clear with the family about how the clearing out may, or may not “work.”

Edited by NYCFree
  • Love 5
Just now, NYCFree said:

Seeing this episode made me want to tell my husband to put me in a care facility if I could no longer control m bodily functions.

Absolutely.  I turned to hubby (who is as much of a neat freak as I am) and said, "I do NOT want you held captive if I'm no longer mentally or physically able to participate in my own care.  Come and see me after bath time at a care facility."

• Love 5

I did not realize Parkinson could have that kind of effect on facial expressions, thanks for enlightening me.

If in the past she specifically requested to be kept at home, chances are she still wanted it. I'm thinking of my mother who was absolutely adamant that she stayed at home until the very end, no matter how bad her condition had got. My grand mother was the same. She basically withered and died the day she was put in an elderly care facility. Dennis' wife could be different but that's how I see it. It probably took years for her to lose the ability to speak or write, she had plenty of time to change her mind.

• Love 3

It was so sad about Judith and so hard to guess how she's feeling.  A few times, when Dennis spoke for her I wasn't so sure he was right.  He asks if this TV show is okay and doesn't wait for any sort of answer, and they should at least have a Yes or No signal worked out.  Then he said he was sure she was thrilled with the new lining room -- but her eyes looked so sad to me.  He said she loved going to flea markets as much as he did and she may have actually enjoyed sitting in the living room surrounded by their "treasures."  I don't know. I'm sure glad the bedroom is more sanitary now, but I would never have placed a glass coffee table in front of where someone with terrible balance is going to be getting up and down.

• Love 1

Even though they paid $80K to move all this stuff across country, I wonder if their original home (I forget where) was a lot bigger than the CA home.  We know real estate prices in CA are a LOT more than many parts of the country.  Not that it wouldn't still be too much stuff, but maybe it wasn't as bad.  They say he bought those trucks to move the stuff (and paid guys to drive them and they needed 8 trips) and when it was all in CA the new house was super full.  Anyway, just a thought.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1

Was anyone else shocked at the end when they showed the cleaned out/up kitchen and there was a cat eating out of a pet feeder? I was like WTF, they have a cat?! Glad it didn’t get tossed in the dumpster? 😆 BTW, where I live a woman took several big bags of stuff to a thrift store to donate. When she got home, she couldn’t find her cat. She called the thrift store. After much searching through the day’s donations, they found the cat. He was fine. 😆

• LOL 12
  • Love 3
18 hours ago, Ligeia said:

I did not realize Parkinson could have that kind of effect on facial expressions, thanks for enlightening me.

Yes,it definitely can. Among other things. By the time my grandmother passed away she was no longer able to communicate and hadn't been able to in years. Her nerves were so affected that at first it was difficult for her to control her facial expressions. Her mouth and eyes were constantly twitching and being mistaken for anger, sadness, happiness, etc. The spasms were painful and she was embarrassed. In the last 2 years of her life it was the opposite- she couldn't move anything on her face at all. She couldn't feel most of her body, much less control it.

The worst part is that for several years she was still "her" inside, but she had no way of really communicating. She could follow conversations and have opinions about things, but she was basically down to lightly hand squeezing for "yes" and "no." 

22 hours ago, AZChristian said:

I posted above about my relative who had Parkinson's. It eventually affected her face, and in her case it was more of a grimace than a mask. She was always so vivacious, talkative, and smiling, and one of the awful aspects of the disease is that it stole her smile. And replaced it with an expression that I can only describe as a kind of grimace. In the final stages her face was blank and she was out of touch with reality. I can only second what @AZChristian has said above - Parkinson's end game is an awful immobility, and on the way there the patient will lose so much normalcy including their ability to show emotions. I confess, I could not watch this episode when it aired because I had to go get groceries, and now that I know there's a Parkinson's patient in it, I won't be able to watch it for that reason. Too painful. 

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Was anyone else shocked at the end when they showed the cleaned out/up kitchen and there was a cat eating out of a pet feeder? I was like WTF, they have a cat?! Glad it didn’t get tossed in the dumpster? 😆 BTW, where I live a woman took several big bags of stuff to a thrift store to donate. When she got home, she couldn’t find her cat. She called the thrift store. After much searching through the day’s donations, they found the cat. He was fine. 😆

I'm glad it wasn't killed by a giant rat...

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

😆 BTW, where I live a woman took several big bags of stuff to a thrift store to donate. When she got home, she couldn’t find her cat. She called the thrift store. After much searching through the day’s donations, they found the cat. He was fine. 😆

That cat had plans for that stuff!

• LOL 14
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Jeeves said:

I won't be able to watch it for that reason. Too painful. 

Good decision, Jeeves.  Same one as my husband made.  For those of us who watched, some of the images are unforgettable.  

• Love 1
6 hours ago, dsteele said:

Here's a nice interview Andy Dehnart did with Matt Paxton. Discusses why he left Hoarders (and came back) and created his own show for PBS.
https://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/2020/08/matt-paxton-hoarders-legacy-list-interview/

Very nice read. Thanks for that! Speaking of Matt, I remember when he stayed the night at one hoarder's home for an episode. Here's a July 2014 lecture clip of him talking about that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOJEuJixCMw

Edited by RobustRutabaga
  • Love 2

From several years ago many here will remember the very interesting hoard of a former very rich woman in California who loved beautiful things, and they filled her apartment and her many, many storage units.  She really wanted her hot tub to go to a rehab facility where it could help people, but the tub was beyond help. Some of her stuff was beautifully colorful, except there was sooooo much of it.

A guy named Ron Jeremy, a friend of hers, was trying to help.  Some of us recognized his name and face because he'd had his 15 minutes of fame/infamy and then some.

Ever wonder RJ's living conditions?  The link above ties into his current ...let's call them libido problems. 

And, yes, one of the things you'll say to yourself starts with "Who TH would go home with him?"

• Love 2

Seeing this episode made me want to tell my husband to put me in a care facility if I could no longer control m bodily functions.

I've told my kids that, if need be, it's OK to put me in a "home."  BUT, I told them that I want them to visit at different times.  I don't want the staff to know that Dennis's wife might be better off (and happier) in a facility with medical professionals.  Lots of people visit their spouses every day.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, enoughcats said:

From several years ago many here will remember the very interesting hoard of a former very rich woman in California who loved beautiful things, and they filled her apartment and her many, many storage units.  She really wanted her hot tub to go to a rehab facility where it could help people, but the tub was beyond help. Some of her stuff was beautifully colorful, except there was sooooo much of it.

A guy named Ron Jeremy, a friend of hers, was trying to help.  Some of us recognized his name and face because he'd had his 15 minutes of fame/infamy and then some.

Ever wonder RJ's living conditions?  The link above ties into his current ...let's call them libido problems. 

And, yes, one of the things you'll say to yourself starts with "Who TH would go home with him?"

I remember that episode and I'm kinda fascinated with Ron Jeremy. I'm not really into porn, but I'd get his autograph. He was very respectful in that episode.

• Love 1

Whatever tiny shred of empathy I might have had for this hoarder disappeared when he said he didn't think there was a problem because his wife hadn't complained. His wife, with advanced Parkinson, who was so ill and emaciated that (with all due respect to her) she looked like a reanimated corpse, who could not walk or speak, or protest at how she was being forced to live. He was allowing her to live in that hovel. Because. She. Had. Not. Complained.  What an absolute PoS of a husband he was, with all his declarations of how much he loved his wife, yet was content for her to live in a rat-infested trashpile that she had no escape from.

The ravages of Judith's Parkinson's were more horrifying to me than the hoard. She had no life at all. What a horrible disease.

• Love 1
On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2020 at 11:14 AM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I suspect a lot of 'donations' on this show go right to the dump.  It's not right to send stuff that's obviously trash, and vermin infested to a charity, and shift the expense of getting the contaminated stuff to the dump onto that organization.   I'm guessing a lot of trash from this show has to go to the biohazard part of the dump too.  .    

The cleaners and organizers on the show are all professionals (ie. this is what they do for a living the 300 days out of the year when they aren't filming the show). I'm sure none of them are willing to risk their professional reputations by sending dog poop and rat feces covered items to the local Goodwill, jut because some crazy hoarder insists that the rocking horse they pulled out of someone's trash is perfectly good and can be used by some poor family

• Love 8

They're showing Linda's episode again.    I don't understand why anyone was surprised that Linda was peeing and pooping on the floor, when she did the same thing at her daughter's house when she lived there for a while.     I have to laugh at Linda wanting to keep the 100 boxes or whatever they're in from upstairs, when she admits she hasn't been upstairs in 12 years.     I feel so sorry for Linda's daughter that has only been abused or neglected by her mother, and is worried about the mother's clean up endangering her sobriety.     

I love that the relatives helped her get back into the house, so their children, and their own houses won't be ruined by Linda, and her toxic behavior.      When they call Cory for his opinion, and he says no one should set foot in the house again.    Then some poor contractor is toured through the house, and then the realtor says the same thing, that the house needs to be bulldozed, and Linda still wants to live there.    From the ending screen, the son-in-law fixed it up enough so Linda moved back in.    How many lives that woman has destroyed.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3
On 8/20/2020 at 6:24 PM, enoughcats said:

I believe that was the Other show, (Hording: Buried Alive) on TLC. Mainly because I saw it a few months ago when TLC started repeating them. 

And yeah, I recognized RJ due to his infamy, but felt he handled that friend very well. 

• Love 2
22 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

They're showing Linda's episode again.    I don't understand why anyone was surprised that Linda was peeing and pooping on the floor, when she did the same thing at her daughter's house when she lived there for a while.     I have to laugh at Linda wanting to keep the 100 boxes or whatever they're in from upstairs, when she admits she hasn't been upstairs in 12 years.     I feel so sorry for Linda's daughter that has only been abused or neglected by her mother, and is worried about the mother's clean up endangering her sobriety.     

I love that the relatives helped her get back into the house, so their children, and their own houses won't be ruined by Linda, and her toxic behavior.      When they call Cory for his opinion, and he says no one should set foot in the house again.    Then some poor contractor is toured through the house, and then the realtor says the same thing, that the house needs to be bulldozed, and Linda still wants to live there.    From the ending screen, the son-in-law fixed it up enough so Linda moved back in.    How many lives that woman has destroyed.  

This one was so horrible. I really felt for the poor grandkids who had to live there for 2 years. Another hoarder who should be jailed for abuse. I didn't get the surprise at her pooping on the floor either. Honestly her family should just forget about her and let her die in her poop. Maybe she did since the original airing btw ?

• Love 1
10 hours ago, enoughcats said:

8/24/2020

"Flora's daughter and grandchildren recently moved in with her but due to the massive hoard, the entire family must eat, sleep and live in a single bedroom. "

Dr. David Tolin and Dorothy Breininger

How desperate do you have to be to move in there with your kids? There has got to be a better option...

She considers the room they sleep in to be "clean"...

"Louvnia" is pronounced "la-vin-i-a?

It's "unfair" that she needs to clean up because there are kids there because she didn't want the kids to move in the first place...

• Love 2

Flora, her daughter, and two grand kids (2 and 3 years old), live in a roach infested trailer, surrounded by junk, in a house full of junk, and CPS hasn't done anything about this?    Sham on CPS.    I'm betting that the outside junk has a lot of vermin, and snakes living in it too.  

The daughter seems to be blaming her father's alcoholism on the hoarding, after blaming the hoarding on the alcoholism by the father?    Then Flora's  husband dies, and nothing changes? 

You can't tell me that the daughter couldn't find a cheaper place to live than $900 a month for a one bedroom.   Daphne, Alabama is a high cost area, so why doesn't the daughter move a few miles away, where it's cheaper?  So the daughter is living in the hoard with two little kids.   A one bedroom won't work anyway.     

Another hoarder that has a lot of help to try cleaning up, but never will.    The crew will never make headway with this one.  

So Lovinia says she doesn't feel like anyone listens to her, and then her mother refuses to listen to her opinion.  If the daughter thinks anything will ever change with her mother, then she's wrong. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2

My guess is the landlord figured out where the roaches, and infestations came from, and booted her then.    I bet she's not a great housekeeper, since she's never had a clean house to live in. 

So Flora wants to clean up, no reservations, and then keeps at least half of the junk in the car?    Flora's sister isn't helping. 

I wonder how the supports of the trailer are holding this huge hoard up?       I don't care how much stuff Flora gets rid of, I bet she'll be back at the thrift store the second she can.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2

Dorothy is getting on my nerves and they haven't even started yet.

They said the kids' dad is living with his mother but Louvnia and the kids can't move in there because she has foster kids and some of her own kids still in the house. Is she aware of the conditions her grandchildren are living in?

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
17 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

OMG that baby is so cute.

Terrell was caring her like she was a bridal bouquet, adorable.  All three of Flora's grown kids were so good looking and they loved Flora so much, meanwhile Flora didn't seem to care about anyone but herself.  How did they turn out so well?  

Right from the start, I wanted the show to forget about Flora and work on finding a nice little place for Louvinia and her two children.

• Love 13
3 minutes ago, JudyObscure said:

Terrell was caring her like she was a bridal bouquet, adorable.  All three of Flora's grown kids were so good looking and they loved Flora so much, meanwhile Flora didn't seem to care about anyone but herself.  How did they turn out so well?  

Right from the start, I wanted the show to forget about Flora and work on finding a nice little place for Louvinia and her two children.

I don't have high hopes, considering the BSOJ said she wasn't "interested" in aftercare. Hope they can at least keep it livable until Louvnia and her boyfriend can get on their feet.

• Love 4
28 minutes ago, JudyObscure said:

work on finding a nice little place for Louvinia and her two children.

I kept muttering "Katrina trailer" "Katrina trailer"

Thousands of those trailers were moved to the Gulf Coast for folks to live in while they rebuilt their homes and many, many of them were treated gently by the folks living in them.  Throughout Alabama, the trailers have been sold at almost give away prices.  Two of those trailers would have been exponential steps up from the roach haven.  

When they showed the window falling out, It was a major sign of structural damage (and if you think that there aren't formosan termites in the walls of that trailer....).  The collapsed floor "repair is within our wheelhorse"....heavens help that son.  Building from scratch is one thing, rebuilding , probably with pine 2 x 2s on a rotten corner....we did wall and partial ceiling repairs inside houses we owned in New Orleans that had been built to last and it was horrible and required all sorts of skills at replacing parts of joists, walls and flooring with the 'right' cuts. (And I had to source true 2 x 4s.)

Instinct tells me that the Aunt was stirring up trouble every night and that she was resting up days 2 and 3 to do her manic best those nights.  

And yes, it is perspiration time most of the year in Baldwin County Alabama. But you don't need to hear about the property we almost bought there overlooking the Bay and the mansion a friend owned on Bon Secour. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 4