Type keyword(s) to search

Hoarders - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Well, I've heard of the Butthole Surfers, so Slovenly Assholes is certainly possible! 

My DVR didn't record this latest episode.  Boo!  I've just started it On Demand.  Looks like an off-the-grid guy.  Dale, with all kinds of dead cars.  Should be interesting!

• Love 2
On 3/15/2019 at 3:13 PM, msrachelj said:

needed to have someone from a junkyard come in. some of those parts are much wanted.

I've often wondered when they have these guys with oodles of vehicles ...do they ever call in a scrap metal dude?

I've sold tons and tons at work.  Those guys bring the trucks and dumpsters.  They separate the non-metals at the plant.  Then they send pretty hefty checks.  

Old Dale's vehicles would have brought a small fortune.  Perhaps, it's not the same in Alaska.  Might be the distance/transportation thing again.

Edited by zillabreeze
  • Love 5
28 minutes ago, zillabreeze said:

I've often wondered when they have these guys with oodles of vehicles ...do they ever call in a scrap metal dude?

I do remember one scrap metal collection being separated from the rest of an extensive yard of junk, but I don't remember which show it was on. 

All the old cars: I think there's a difference that is regional.  We have a local Pull-a-Part which is part of a national chain. Very organized, very practical approach and basically limited to cars that are still on the road and likely to have people needing parts for those cars.

Collector trucks- the market is going to be based on how many of those hard to find truck parts are needed and he doesn't live in a large city nor is someone going to drive five hours each way to get a part.  He's not organized enough to use Heming's to advertise what he has. Much less to ship it. 

Above, on this thread, someone noted that scrap from Alaska has to be transported to Washington State for processing.  $$$$ shipping takes the value of scrap way down. 

• Love 4
On 3/13/2019 at 11:55 AM, Pepper Mostly said:

All he has are intentions.

That, I think, is a core belief of hoarders. They'll get around to it. My grandfather, a brilliant scientist, hoarded up his home with stacks of YEARS of Wall Street Journals, and wouldn't let anyone throw them out, got angry if it was suggested, because he was going to get around to reading them. He was in his 80s at the time. He wasn't reading the WSJs that came to the front door every day, but he was firmly convinced that he would eventually get to the ones that came five years ago.

The only time that line of thinking works is if someone has put aside projects to do when they actually do have time, like retirement.

I just turned 61, and I am cluttered (definitely not a hoarder). I figure I have maybe 20-25 more years on this earth, so I'm actively trying to work toward completing big projects I've started (genealogy, family photos, etc.) precisely because of this show.

I like the new format. I always felt like so much was rushed with two hoarders/48 minutes. As I said earlier, towering piles in toilets and dead animals -- that I can't watch. But I like going in-depth with the family.

I thought Dale's son and daughter-in-law were very relatable and very honest with him, without going toxic (as many of us would). I liked them. Am I correct in remembering that the DIL was using canes to get around? If so, she has a special reason for not wanting to inherit (and disassemble) the hoard.

• Love 11
On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 2:29 AM, ChicagoCita said:

I thought Dale's son and daughter-in-law were very relatable and very honest with him, without going toxic (as many of us would). I liked them. Am I correct in remembering that the DIL was using canes to get around? If so, she has a special reason for not wanting to inherit (and disassemble) the hoard.

Back when Hoarders was originally on I was following a few bloggers who were destashing deceased relatives' hoards and how immensely difficult it was, especially for ones like Dale. When you are just an average schmo (not a tv show) there are huge hurdles to get stuff hauled away / put into landfill / etc. Many towns now limit how much you can throw out and what you can throw out. It sounded just absolutely exhausting. I can see why his family was so anxious to get Hoarders in - if they handled all the big stuff like the cars and construction debris the house itself wouldn't be so bad.

Not to mention dealing with things like all the hazardous bio material, dead animals, and insect infestations when you are a civilian. 

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Eliza422 said:

I was following a few bloggers who were destashing deceased relatives' hoards and how immensely difficult it was, especially for ones like Dale.

When my 60 year old brother died we hired a man who hauled away 1400 pounds of newspapers, magazines and old mail out of his bedroom. My brother always resented the word "hoarder" because he felt that since he kept his stuff in neat (if very tall) stacks and bags that somehow made it different.

My brother had MS and could barely walk. He also smoked in that room. On his final trip to the hospital they could not get a gurney into his room and had to carry him out.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Kenzie said:

When my 60 year old brother died we hired a man who hauled away 1400 pounds of newspapers, magazines and old mail out of his bedroom. My brother always resented the word "hoarder" because he felt that since he kept his stuff in neat (if very tall) stacks and bags that somehow made it different.

Yeah, my mom has called me a hoarder more than once (not true - disorganized at times, but not a hoarder), but she ignores her own tendencies.  At one time, she had every check she had ever written - over 60 years worth.  No amount of telling her she only needs to keep 3 years worth of stuff works.  When she gets sick of dealing with it, she just shoves it in boxes and puts the boxes on shelves, in closets, etc.  She also buys stuff to give as gifts and warehouses it.  I do pick stuff from there for white elephant raffles, etc, but more comes in than goes out.  Sometimes I can convince her it's time for a cleanout, but it gets full again quickly.  She's nowhere near as bad as the people on TV, but she too resents being though of as a hoarder, and insinuates that because her stuff is marginally organized that absolves her.  And she'll criticize me, but then call me from Wal-Mart at 11pm asking if I want her to grab me something that is a good deal.

She also has tubs of shoes, purses - some never used.  I keep telling her that at my house, if a new purse comes in, one goes out (or more than one).  I take them to a used clothing store nearby.  She pays out cash or store credit (store credit is more).  You don't get near what you paid for them, but you can get rid of a bunch of stuff you're not using, and get one or two things you will.  She has yet to do it.

Edited by funky-rat
  • Love 4

Years ago, it was horrible to inherit a hoard like the ones on the show.    There were few resources, and you had to search around to find clean out help, and haul away services.   

Like Dale's son said, clean up now and don't leave this for me to do.   I wonder how many people find out after the hoarder is deceased, that they have inherited a hoard that will eat up the entire estate in clean up, and any buildings on the property are tear downs.   

Now there are junk removal companies, and others like Matt Paxton's company that handle clean out, auction, and other services for inherited estates.      I have read 1 in 25 households are some type of hoard, so it's a problem that a lot of people will be facing in the future,  the clean up of other people's garbage.     

The preview for tonight's episode looks horrifying. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

That You've Got Junk company is very expensive, I needed a lot of old furniture and and piles of record albums and books and just crap removed years ago when I was redoing two rooms, so I called them, and man, forget about it,  I ended up finding a guy on line who had a huge flat bed truck and took it all out for 250.00. The Hoarder's Junk people wanted at least 800.00 or more. It was so hard to donate stuff, I just had it hauled away, sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do. This is why I love this show Hoarders, I don't "save" it because it's worth money or for friends. Just dump it. (with the exception of expensive handbags, ha!) 

• LOL 1
  • Love 7

Why are they even filming Linda (tonight's hoarder) ?     The house is a tear down, and all of it should go to the Haz-mat section of the dump.     The way she acted at her daughter's house was horrible, with the same disgusting behavior that she had at her house.    When the grandchildren lived with her and CPS showed up, how could Linda keep lying about the conditions?  

I agree with the grandson, gasoline, and a match would be the only solution for this place, and Linda needs a locked ward.  

I love it, Dorothy shows up, and Linda is reasonable, which won't last past the next commercial.   Why are the workers not wearing haz mat suits, and better respirators?   Thank heavens the dogs are living with the daughter.   The local animal control should cite that woman for cruelty.   An embedded collar?     I officially hate this woman so much.     Why haven't the authorities stepped in?   My guess is where ever she lives, the city officials will be getting a lot of phone calls.    Bet she would have chained the kids to the wall too, if she could have.   

I have no sympathy for Linda, and the fact that she can't even use a toilet in her daughter's house shows she's not depressed, she's evil, and rotten.     I don't know why they're shocked about the dog, since on the first walk through they Zasio saw the chain, and was told what it was for, and that the dog had an embedded collar.  

Zasio is as full of c$&% as the house is, she's lying that moving back in was ever a choice.   

I can't believe that the workers shoveled human feces, and it all went in regular dumpsters, and not to Haz-mat.      How can the organizers and producers have people working with nothing but flimsy masks, and gloves.      

I would love to see them dump Linda in that living room, and leave her.   There is no where she can live in human society.     Linda has been doing this bizarre behavior for years, and there is no helping her.   Poor Corey, getting thrown to the wolves for TV ratings.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 12
33 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Why are they even filming Linda (tonight's hoarder) ?     The house is a tear down, and all of it should go to the Haz-mat section of the dump.     

OMG yes. 

RIght now we're 11 minutes into hour two, and Linda's just being calm and collected about sh*tting on the living room floor of her own house. In front of her grandchildren. Holy moley. Bat. Shit. Crazy. 

Edited to add: She chains up all her dogs. Inside the house. Bat. Shit. Crazy. EVIL.

Further edit: Dr. Zasio has just said Linda could have early stage dementia based on her lack of reaction to these things she's being confronted with. 

This is just so awful and tragic and infuriating and I just hope that Linda's two lovely grandchildren will get whatever therapy they may need to deal with the aftermath of living for two years in that hellhole. To be clear: they appear to be amazingly fine and solid people, not basket cases. They are the ones I care about on this episode, although I'm glad to see the interaction with their mother, Linda's daughter. Okay, I'll throw in the daughter too. But poor Linda, that woman's just gone from reality. 

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 12

They showed a re-run the other day (I think it was from Season 4) that gave me one of my favorite Hoarders lines ever. There were 2 hoarders: an emotionless POS animal hoarder named John, who had an attic full of sail kittens; and Vivian, a relatively normal woman with a normal family and a frustrated husband. The husband, Sylvester, wanted the house cleared so he could entertain his business clients. Surveying his wife's hoard, he said in sort of a Dr Now voice, "When I see this, I am vomiting, and I can't do business when I vomit."

• LOL 13
  • Love 6

Is the theme this year all garbage collected by bat shit crazies? 🤔 So far there has been nothing salvageable from ANY of them. Just nasty grossness and gross nastiness. And I can't sit through a 2 hour movie so this may be it for me. 😯

• Love 8
18 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

OMG yes. 

RIght now we're 11 minutes into hour two, and Linda's just being calm and collected about sh*tting on the living room floor of her own house. In front of her grandchildren. Holy moley. Bat. Shit. Crazy. 

Edited to add: She chains up all her dogs. Inside the house. Bat. Shit. Crazy. EVIL.

Further edit: Dr. Zasio has just said Linda could have early stage dementia based on her lack of reaction to these things she's being confronted with. 

This is just so awful and tragic and infuriating and I just hope that Linda's two lovely grandchildren will get whatever therapy they may need to deal with the aftermath of living for two years in that hellhole. To be clear: they appear to be amazingly fine and solid people, not basket cases. They are the ones I care about on this episode, although I'm glad to see the interaction with their mother, Linda's daughter. Okay, I'll throw in the daughter too. But poor Linda, that woman's just gone from reality. 

I would add  she has for many years been extremely angry and abusive to her family.  Why?

• Love 7

If the daughter lets that woman back into her house, then she's crazy too.     Until that overhead shot, I couldn't see how close that dump was to the house next door.    If the realtor is giving an estimate on the land only, why is he looking in the windows?     So Linda the BSC hoarder wants to demolish the house, and put a trailer or pre-fab house there?   Bet the city codes people will be dropping by tomorrow morning with the condemned sign, and mention that she won't be allowed to build what she wants in it's place.  

Tell me that Zasio isn't going to try to get the daughter to take that hideous, cruel woman back into her house.     

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 7
2 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

If the daughter lets that woman back into her house, then she's crazy too.     

The daughter and grandchildren need to attend the Betty Ford Family program for victims  of Horders, which doesn't exist,  and the daughter might need a couple of weeks of help with her drug recovery.

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
2 minutes ago, absolutelyido said:

I missed the first part of the Linda episode. Can someone please tell me what Kristen went to jail for?

Pain killers. Busted for drugs. In jail for about 2 years.

Drugs of some kind.   Kristen got 2 1/2 years.   

Linda obviously will never be helped, and is still lying about what her condition is.    By the way, a note to the contractor, you do structural floor repairs first, then move in.     I can't believe the city authorities haven't acted on this disgusting house, and condemned it.     It's structurally compromised.    At least the daughter didn't let her move back in.     

I don't think the daughter will let the dogs go back, and hopefully animal control will drop in tomorrow to reinforce that fact.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 11
44 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Linda obviously will never be helped, and is still lying about what her condition is. 

I wonder if they couldn't find a home that would take her, or that took her for about three bowel movements in the public area. 

I can see Crystal's husband doing the work to keep her out of his home and to try to help his wife.

What I hate is that the people who lie do so without any consequences to themselves.   

And Linda reminded me of the Emperor Palpatine on Star Wars except he was nicer. 

xndkz5hge2zixf2gykxz.jpg

• LOL 2
  • Love 8

She's obviously very, very mentally ill. No one takes a dump in someone else's clean bathroom next to a toilet, and doesn't see anything wrong with it.

I'm so glad she's not in the daughter's house. She is toxic, she messed up her daughter, the grandkids, and her dogs. She is a foot of excrement in human form.

It did say that someone is checking on her weekly, right?

I can't believe that she moved back in, but it's very possible she had nowhere else to go. Rural Indiana doesn't have a huge amount of choices. And with her possibly clearing only a few thousand dollars from selling her home, she probably had nowhere to go.

I'm just so happy she's not with her family. I'm a compassionate person, and that's a hard sentence to type. But she ruins everything and everyone she comes in contact with. She doesn't deserve to be with anyone she can hurt any more than she already has.

Edited by ChicagoCita
  • Love 11

Watching this episode made my skin crawl and my blood boil.  Animal cruelty's a crime; she's a repeat offender.  Why aren't they tossing this nasty, demented, gaslighting abuser in the klink for that, at least?  

And how much are they paying the 800JUNK guys?  I can't imagine it's enough. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, MoldySpiceGirl said:

Watching this episode made my skin crawl and my blood boil.  Animal cruelty's a crime; she's a repeat offender.  Why aren't they tossing this nasty, demented, gaslighting abuser in the klink for that, at least?  

Amen to that. Linda would have fit nicely in with the garbage in the 800-Got Junk truck and they should have just thrown her in the landfill with all the trash. I have no interest in summoning any human empathy for animal abusers. 

This was a case of two hours being too long for this show. They really dragged out the drama with the daughter who had a classic case of meth face. And every time she and her mother started wailing, nary a tear fell from their eyes. They knew right away that house was a tear down—so much so that Cory didn't even bother to show up on site for the filming. 

And there must have been a deeply discounted sale at the local spray tan place because St Dorothy, Dr Tonya Hoarding, and the daughter all looked like victims of a DHA overdose.

I have to say that the outcome for this show left me confused. Like Giant Misfit and others here, all my compassion goes out the window when a person's craziness brings harm to other people (her daughter and, especially, her grandchildren) and defenseless animals.

I started watching the repeat of this episode a few minutes late and have so many questions. Did she get her dogs back? I hope not. I was so angry when they described how the dogs were chained up pooping, peeing, sleeping and eating in the same small area. I wanted to reach through the tv and smack the shit outta her for that, particularly how she kept saying how much she loved her dogs.

Didn't the various experts say that it would cost around $200,000 to completely renovate the house and make it liveable? So if the land itself was only worth $12,000-15,000, where did all the money come from to fix that place up and allow her to move back in? I don't know about where many of you live but, in the Washington, D.C.area where I live you can't buy a decent small condo for $200,000. Wouldn't any monies be better spent getting her into a one bedroom apartment? Of course, after seeing this show, she would probably have a hard time getting anyone to rent her a place. At this point, she needs to be in a nursing home and getting LOTS of psychiatric care.

Lastly, I don't recall seeing any local code enforcement reps. Didn't the local authorities have any say so about her moving back into the house? Also, I didn't hear anything about her neighbors. Was the condition of her home/property a danger to them because of all the vermin, cockroaches and potential fire hazard?

• Love 9

It's early the morning after. I kind of wish I hadn't watched this show last night. What a protracted fustercluck it was.

Linda was profoundly mentally ill *and* abusive to people and animals and houses and pretty much everyone and everything around her. As a lifelong pattern, as far as I could tell.

The level of sickness was such that fairly early in the cleanup, Dr. Tonya Harding and St. Dorothy weren't hanging back and asking the hoarder's permission. After they got a handle on the actual situation, they were laying down the law to her. Nicely. But still. My respect for Dr. Tonya rose a lot and I went from liking Dorothy to loving her. 

The literally last-minute BSOD notice that Linda moved back into her house after all was a jaw-dropper. So now Linda's just further embedded in her lunacy: "see, they told me I couldn't move back into my house, but I DID IT. They were wrong. I'm right." OTOH she's not inflicting her awful self and floor-poops on her daughter. 

What I really fear is that Linda will manage to "rescue" some more dogs and chain them to the wall. 

I hope and pray those two grandchildren of hers will thrive and prosper and have good lives. They seemed like good well-functionoing people, after enduring things that could have turned them into basket cases.

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 9
On 3/19/2019 at 10:02 AM, CrazyInAlabama said:

Like Dale's son said, clean up now and don't leave this for me to do.

My former in laws were border line hoarders - their house was okay- some extra rooms were stuffed with crap but they had about six sheds PACKED with stuff, a basement full of MORE stuff plus a double wide double deep garage.  FIL passed in 2010, my former MIL passed last December and her attitude was "Well you guys can deal with it."    This always bugged me (and I am no longer married into the family and I was always kind and respectful to her, she was lovely except for this, lol) as I thought:  No one wants your crap in the basement.  No one.  There were no feces, no mice, nothing like that.....just stuff.  Crappy stuff.  Now former MIL has passed and my former hubby and his two brothers think they can clean it it out on a few Sundays.  Not exactly Rhodes scholars, those three.  Call 1-800-Got Junk, get a local company, whatever but they can't do it alone.  But bless their hearts they will try.  

Edited by Mrs. Hanson
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

Now former MIL has passed and my former hubby and his two brothers think they can clean it it out on a few Sundays.  Not exactly Rhodes scholars, those three.  Call 1-800-Got Junk, get a local company, whatever but they can't do it alone.  But bless their hearts they will try.  

Oh gosh, I don't even know them and I feel sorry for them. Because, yeah. This will take more than a few Sundays. I lucked out; my only parental posthumous cleanout was my stepmother who lived in a one bedroom apartment that was tidy and not overstuffed. Friends and relatives haven't been as lucky. I'm close to a cousin who after such an experience is very anti-stuff. We have a running joke; when I'm taking a nice trip I ask her, now are you sure you don't want me to bring you anything back, and get a very firm "YES I'm sure!" 

As to last night's episode, Linda's posthumous cleanout ought to be a controlled burn. Maybe the local fire department wants to have a training/practice fire. Flamethrowers. Last night I kept fantasizing about flamethrowers while I watched this show.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5

My guess is Linda wanted to move in with the daughter again, unless she could move home, and the daughter just gave up and let the woman do what she wants.     I'm assuming the daughter kept the two dogs.       I bet no structural work will be done (it should have been done first), and Linda will die and the house will be bulldozed.    I'm hoping people in the city this happened in (I never caught the location) bombard the city authorities, code enforcement, and animal control about what was said last night.       There is no way that Linda can even stay in anything but a locked ward, and I don't think it's dementia since it's been going on for years, I think she's just mean and rotten.     

My guess is the outcome will be the house will collapse on her, from bad supports, and the hoard you know she's building up again, or she'll just die.    

• Love 5
18 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

My guess is Linda wanted to move in with the daughter again, unless she could move home, and the daughter just gave up and let the woman do what she wants.     I'm assuming the daughter kept the two dogs.       I bet no structural work will be done (it should have been done first), and Linda will die and the house will be bulldozed.    I'm hoping people in the city this happened in (I never caught the location) bombard the city authorities, code enforcement, and animal control about what was said last night.       There is no way that Linda can even stay in anything but a locked ward, and I don't think it's dementia since it's been going on for years, I think she's just mean and rotten.     

My guess is the outcome will be the house will collapse on her, from bad supports, and the hoard you know she's building up again, or she'll just die.    

Good morning CrazyInAlabama. I thought that, as the black screens seemed to say at the end, actually a lot of structural work had been done to the floors because they were so saturated with pee and poop so they couldn't just been cleaned they had to be replaced to make the house habitable. Wasn't that the case? Also, where the Hell was local code enforcement and the neighbors? Like I said above, so many questions. BTW, the house was located somewhere in rural Indiana; can't remember the name of the town/city.

Edited by DC Gal in VA
Additional comments.
  • Love 1

Like Jeeves, I wish had turned off this episode, much like I did the Azzhat brothers on 600.  What was the point of showing a lifetime of pure evil towards others and calling it dementia?

Having cleaned out two houses in the past three years, I understand the difficulties.  The Got Junk people aren't the saints as portrayed.  Very selective and very expensive.  In addition, local tipping fees can be prohibitive.  Cleaning up the outside is a breeze compared to basements.

Anyway, two hours is too long for one person.  With nothing really accompished.

• Love 7

Someone on the Facebook Hoarders page said that around the time the kids were with grandma, there was a big issue with staffing, at CPS or DCS or whatever it is there, so there were a lot of bad supervision of dependent children. 

I thought the BSOJ said that the daughter's husband (some kind of contractor), had bought and hooked up appliances, and was going to do structural work soon.     Backwards, but the house will probably outlast Linda.   

My personal view is Linda doesn't have dementia, unless she's had it for her child's entire life, since the woman was always a hoarder.     I think Linda's just mean, rotten, and cruel.  

• Love 19
30 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

Oh gosh, I don't even know them and I feel sorry for them.

Please don't.  Without going off topic, the oldest brother (there are three, I was married to the youngest) is horrid and his wife is equally horrid.  They are outright mean, toxic and dismissive to our college aged sons (whole unneeded drama over Grandma's funeral) My sons will not help due to lots of other issues nor should they, in my opinion.  And my ex is too wimpy to stand up to them.....it is really gross.

So....no don't feel sorry for them.  If they want to spend a year of Sundays spooning water of the ocean....let them.  I would call in some help ASAP and enjoy my Sundays.  But then again I am remarried to a sane, rational man who hates clutter so what do I know!!!!  

• LOL 3
  • Love 6

Last night's episode made my blood boil.  Everyone and everything in her orbit suffered.  Those poor children and her poor dogs.

My little rescue dog came from a hoarding situation.  I've had her for almost a year and she still has some issues.  She is very fearful and since hoarders live in secret, she was never socialized.  We worked with a great trainer, but it's all baby steps.  She is the sweetest  little thing.  My goal is to help her be the dog she was always meant to be.  I think we're getting there.

Two hours with one hoarder is too long.  Way too much yak yak.

• Love 9
16 minutes ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

Please don't.  Without going off topic, the oldest brother (there are three, I was married to the youngest) is horrid and his wife is equally horrid.  They are outright mean, toxic and dismissive to our college aged sons (whole unneeded drama over Grandma's funeral) My sons will not help due to lots of other issues nor should they, in my opinion.  And my ex is too wimpy to stand up to them.....it is really gross.

So....no don't feel sorry for them.  If they want to spend a year of Sundays spooning water of the ocean....let them.  I would call in some help ASAP and enjoy my Sundays.  But then again I am remarried to a sane, rational man who hates clutter so what do I know!!!!  

One of the best lines ever posted on any forum EVER Mrs. Hanson!

• Love 10
47 minutes ago, DC Gal in VA said:

BTW, the house was located somewhere in rural Indiana; can't remember the name of the town/city.

Greensburg Indiana, population more than 11,000.  Right next to the interstate that goes northwest to Indianapolis about thirty miles away.  A Honda plant near by. 

That really isn't all that rural.  Towns of 11, 000+ do have amenities (and pain pill problems.)

Here's a link to a part of the town that has dense houses a lot like the aerials shown of Linda's house. The satellite view shows well kept yards and streets and not any fallen down houses.

Edited by enoughcats
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, knuckles491 said:

I miss the old format...2 hoarders, one hour.  The two hour episodes are just too long, with so much psychobabble and talk about feelings.  I miss Matt Paxton.

Totally agree.  I’m definitely over this tv show. I never expected Hoarders to become just excruciating, mind-numbing boredom.  Removed it from my DVR. 

• Love 3
14 hours ago, Jeeves said:

Except that Linda has been this way for years and years without any real signs of full blown dementia.  She has major psychological problems and maybe has intellectual issues as well.  

The worst part of this episode for me...as bad as the whole damn thing was...was the update at the end.  Linda moved back into that damaged house.  A family member is doing some repairs and they're almost ready to address the structural issues.  For f's sake, nothing matters in the house until you address the structural issues!   I bet they all caved and let Linda move back in because it was easier than getting her into an assisted living.  Everyone in that family needs extensive therapy.   I hope the kids go far far away.

• Love 9

I can't see anything except a dementia unit taking someone like Linda, that's very expensive.      

I bet the mother said if she couldn't move into her old house, then she would move back in with the daughter, and that would be over her dead body if it was my house.     

Actually, I'm heartless about these sob stories like Linda, she wouldn't have set foot in my house, ever.  

I feel sorry for the neighbors, who have that disgusting outhouse of a house of hers next door, with that awful woman sitting there (almost typed another word) and thinking of ways to fill the house back up with trash.    Hopefully, Linda will have one too many illnesses, before the house is full, and free everyone in her life from her reign of terror.     Then someone with a bulldozer, and a dump truck can solve the issue for the neighbors, and her family of victims. 

I don't feel sorry for Linda.   I feel sorry for her daughter, the grandchildren who went to school smelling like poo, and slept in that disgusting outhouse of their grandmother, the animals she abused, and neighbors who now know what that stench is in the neighborhood.     

Plus, from the father's (Linda's husband) obituary, there are a bunch of other kids in the family, and Kristen (or whatever her name is) is the only one who showed up for this.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 1
  • Love 12

Yeah, the son-in-law who works in construction must not be very good at his job, or else he would know you have to stabilize a structure before you can start any work on the inside.

Linda, like her house, I'm afraid is too far gone.  It would have been nice if we had some insight into why her hoarding spiraled out of control. The way she interacted with people -- even those closest to her -- would suggest that she might be on the spectrum. That repeated pattern of relieving herself on the floor or in a cup screams compulsive behavior. At least past participants have had the decency to crap in a Target bag and usually in private.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

Those poor kids. That's all. I tried to envision being in what, fifth or sixth grade? and trying to survive in those horrific circumstances. Picking my way across a filthy room to sleep on a filthy mattress, roaches running over me, trying to find something to wear that didn't have ratshit on it. I understand why Dallas is still angry. I hope aftercare funds will get those kids some therapy.

Linda whining "I've been in this house since 1978!" put me over the edge. She had no self awareness at all, seemed to simply not comprehend what was being said to her. What a mess. What could be done for a person like that? What facility would take her?

• Love 9
3 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

Yeah, the son-in-law who works in construction must not be very good at his job, or else he would know you have to stabilize a structure before you can start any work on the inside.

I just thought that Linda wore him and the rest of the family down and he agreed to do whatever she wanted just to shut her up. They don't want her back in their house, and probably don't have the money to place her in a care facility or assisted living. What choice do they have? It sucks, but these aren't wealthy people, they don't have many options.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, terrymct said:

I bet they all caved and let Linda move back in because it was easier than getting her into an assisted living.  Everyone in that family needs extensive therapy.   I hope the kids go far far away.

The assisted living my late Grammy was in wouldn't have taken Linda.  I doubt any assisted living would - even the crooked home from 60 Minutes (credit: Homer Simpson).  I hope there were aftercare funds for her family, but the BSOJ said that they hoped Linda would take advantage of therapy "soon".  Not happening.

Edited by funky-rat
  • Love 8

even the crooked home from 60 Minutes (credit: Homer Simpson).

"I'll be good." [/Abe Simpson voice]

Linda whining "I've been in this house since 1978!" put me over the edge. She had no self awareness at all, seemed to simply not comprehend what was being said to her.

She wasn't capable of understanding what was being said because she is shut off in her own world, mentally. To paraphrase Pink Floyd, there was a look in her eyes like black holes in the sky.

• Love 6