Type keyword(s) to search

Hoarders - General Discussion

• Start Topic

They've been filming all last year.  Cory and others have been posting about it off and on.  I haven't seen anything new today though.  If you look at the vaulted forum linked above you can see some of the posts in the old Media thread.

• Love 1

I watched a Hoarders with the retired doctor.pharmacist from Philly.  In a nice change of pace there was no huge outburst between Hoarder Dad and Daughter who was trying to help.  This guy was one of the WORST - cockroaches everywhere.  Like in his BED.  Afterwards he was in an assisted living apartment (he was going blind) and his son in law was all:  "Wow! It is great sitting in a room with him!  And not being de-bugged when we leave!"  I paraphrase but you get it......

• Love 2

Well, it looks like the majority (if not all) of the homes this year are of the massive hoard variety. While I find those people and their houses fascinating, there's not a lot to root for from the start when I know the only way to really "declutter" their home is to bulldoze it to the ground. 

I wish they would do follow ups on people but that looks like it's not happening this season either. 

Regardless of my complaints: YAY!!! Can't wait for the show to come back.

4 minutes ago, atlantaloves said:

Oh shoot I do love a good piggy hoarder follow-up.....that's a very important part of the show. Damn it. Where are my teeth?😤

Here you go!  I found them under the carcass of a big old dead rat, 53 roaches and their eggs, a half-eaten hamburger from 8 years ago, a unicycle and 6 shoes - all for the left foot.  Go ahead - ooze those suckers onto your gums!

• LOL 9
  • Love 3

Thank goodness I have somewhere to post about what I'm watching now. The episode is a woman name Terry from Season 6 who had dozens of dead cats in her freezer including what the hazmat suited clean up crew called "liquefied dead cats" at the bottom of her refrigerator. WTF!!!???? That was a definite first for me.

I really have a hard time with animal hoarders who always proclaim their deep love of animals and yet they're torturing them. Of the 49 live cats they removed, all but a few had to be euthanized. That made me so angry. However, I couldn't bring myself to hate her because her mental illness was so profound. Loved how the Animal Control representative said that if she starts up with her animal hoarding again, they will pursue charges against her. Good. Mentally ill or not, she still needs to be held accountable.

• Love 5

I can't wait for a new season!.....it makes me actually clean my baseboards and even my ceiling fan, these people are such pigs. This show keeps me on the straight and narrow. That cute little tidy up Japanese chick doesn't do the trick for me, I need a full blown hoarder to make me really deep clean my groovy zen apartment.

Quick question to you all.  Why does every single hoarder always have several bent up lamp shades just laying around? I have a hoarder friend who will buy them at thrift stores even when she doesn't have a lamp base for it. I don't understand this.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, atlantaloves said:

Why does every single hoarder always have several ________________

Fill in the blank. 

We need a set of bingo cards, just for us.  

Lamp shades are one.

Ironing board.

Pizza cartons.

Leopard print anything

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
14 minutes ago, enoughcats said:

Why does every single hoarder always have several ________________

Thousands of dog turds scattered all over the carpet.

dozens of big fancy hats

millions of black dots  (mold? Bugs? Both?) coating the entire inside of their refrigerator?

6 minutes ago, atlantaloves said:

No running water

Boxes and boxes of Christmas decorations, the more broken the better

Oh good ones!!

• Love 3
39 minutes ago, atlantaloves said:

Why does every single hoarder always have

Toilets overflowing with sewage

Bathrooms sinks that manage to have both cobwebs and mold

Enough craft items/supplies to keep Michael's stocked for years

Baby pictures/albums that are moldy and wet

Sterilite boxes with no lids with papers and plastic items overflowing out of it

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

Enough craft items/supplies to keep Michael's stocked for years

sterilite boxes with no lids with papers and plastic items overflowing out of it

Oh right - you ALWAYS see that crap in every house!!

• Love 3

What is the deal with crafting? I just don't get it. And keeping fabric for shit? I actually had a brief period of crafting, but I got over it very quickly, it took over my dining room and I said, enough already. But it was fun. I crafted gift bags and gift boxes, that was it. Oh yeah, and I decorated candles. Oh brother !  Hey it was the 80's.

• Love 7

Piles of slightly soggy stuffed animals that have melded into one big one.

Old TVs stacked on top of older TVs.

QVC boxes and Target bags.

Big plastic purses.

Frightened cats sitting on top of the hoard.

Happy dogs, thrilled to have company.

• Love 7
37 minutes ago, JudyObscure said:

Piles of slightly soggy stuffed animals that have melded into one big one.

Old TVs stacked on top of older TVs.

QVC boxes and Target bags.

Big plastic purses.

Frightened cats sitting on top of the hoard.

Happy dogs, thrilled to have company.

Once we stopped at an estate sale in Edina.  There was a 24x40 tent filled with purses.  I thought, at first, it was someone running a business concurrent with the estate sale.  Nope, it was all from the owner of the house.  I say Edina as this is who foo-foo wealthy area of the Twin Cities.  (One of them at least.)

• Love 8
1 minute ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Used adult diapers

oh yeah - totally forgot THAT one - probably to hang onto my sanity.  Gross, gross, gross.  Some of the people had mountains of used diapers just laying around.  I can't even imagine the stench!

• Love 5

Remember the fat ole gal who had a million needles around her big ole recliner? She would give herself a shot and then just toss the needle aside.  I loved her she was truly uber lazy. Gotta have that recliner. 

I am so ready for a new season of filth.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

Remember the person who had like, 3000 empty cans of Pepsi?

3 hours ago, atlantaloves said:

Remember the fat ole gal who had a million needles around her big ole recliner?

Wasn’t this the same person? I think she was on Buried Alive and I haaaaaaated her. 

So ridiculously excited for the new season of this show though. 

Giant: I am so glad I found this group of Hoarder show lovers, because no one I know will watch this show. I love it. I adore all the cleaning and hoarder shows especially the English ones. We Americans are complete pigs. When we do it, we do it BIG. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

We have bigger houses!  We lived in England for three years in one of their typical two up, two down duplexes (semi-detached they call it.)  Although, according to our Air Force, our stuff weighed less than half the average USAF family's, we had all kinds of trouble finding a place for everything.  Biggest problem was no closets.  They have "wardrobes" to hang clothes in and  we don't, but even if we did, that is usually not enough space for even the most minimalist American's stuff.

I agree the English hoarder shows are fun. I've watched all the Compulsive Cleaner shows on You-tube

• Love 4

Judy: I loved that English Hoarder show with the wonderful Greek Doctor. He's a delight, and takes 6 weeks to help these poor people get it together.  That's the way to do it. Wish had been renewed. Those hoarders were actually charming, yeah I said it.  With the exception of the ladybug lady, she was totally insane. 🐞

• Love 5
14 hours ago, atlantaloves said:

Giant: I am so glad I found this group of Hoarder show lovers, because no one I know will watch this show. I love it. I adore all the cleaning and hoarder shows especially the English ones. We Americans are complete pigs. When we do it, we do it BIG. 

Me too!  

And I'm so glad, atlantaloves, that you found your teeth!

But,  seriously, last summer I started updating the landscaping in my yard, and I really do have plans for that rock, ( and a hundred or so of it's siblings).  😉

Adding to the list of common hoarded items:

-  old broken, messed up, creepy dolls;

-  other assorted broken toys, bikes, trikes, etc.,  in the yard, that the kids/pets/random vermin  are climbing on v. playing with the way they were intended; and 

- "gifts" for loved ones that were never given, nor ever desired, despite the besutiful "generosity" of hoarder who casually sets it aside to never be given. Ever. Cuz hoarding. 

- " collectible" LP record albums in tip top shape--if you don't count  mold, warping, various turds, etc. 

- tires (of all sizes)  in the yard. 

• Love 3

Sunday Marathon! 

7:00 -- Adella, with her demure Gibson Girl hairdo, turns vicious and her two furious daughters start screaming back at her.  Meanwhile, Dr. Eyebrows, stands quietly and looks frightened.  Matt takes over. Her oldest daughter leaves, promising never to return while Adella eats a pretzel instead of saying goodbye.  We end with Adella digging through the trash for a "reddio."

Dr. Zasio gets the good assignment in Hawaii with Teri who had to be threatened with Child Protective Services before parting with some of her hoard.  Her husband may be the mousiest husband of all the mousy husbands we've seen.  I'm torn between pity and disgust because he didn't do more to protect his kids.  The Zazz helps him man up.

Good episode!

• Love 3

I have 'Hoarders' in the background while I start my spring housecleaning (I thought it was appropriate).  I just caught part of the one with the famous line 'I had plans for that rock!'  That was also the episode with the woman who tripped, fell and really banged up her face while her two sons continued to yell and scream at each other while she was lying on the sidewalk bleeding.  I missed the earlier part of the episode, but one son (the one who showed up late) just seemed lazy (or at least apathetic) and the other son was so violently angry that he was really, really scary.  The woman just looked kind of beat-down and out of it.  That was one messed-up family (and I know we've seen a lot of them on this show). 

Edited by BooksRule
  • Love 5
On 2/23/2019 at 5:58 AM, Tosia said:

Adding to the list of common hoarded items:

old broken, messed up, creepy dolls;

-  other assorted broken toys, bikes, trikes, etc.,  in the yard, that the kids/pets/random vermin  are climbing on v. playing with the way they were intended; and 

- "gifts" for loved ones that were never given, nor ever desired, despite the besutiful "generosity" of hoarder who casually sets it aside to never be given. Ever. Cuz hoarding. 

- " collectible" LP record albums in tip top shape--if you don't count  mold, warping, various turds, etc. 

- tires (of all sizes)  in the yard. 

These are all good - but you see the three I've bolded in almost every episode!  DEFINITELY the gifts - and none of the "gifts" are anything I would ever want!  lol

• Love 3

I'm watching the episode with Verna and Joanne.

Verna was the one who fought everybody from the get-go and didn't even show up at the start of the third and final day of clean-up. She was in some kind of care facility because her house was too hoarded and unsafe for her to return to. Her daughter hung in despite being incredibly verbally abused ON CAMERA by Verna. The crew got a lot done during the day and then Verna turned up at the end of the day. To see her cleaned-up house. Which she could now live in again. ETA: The final black screen said she hadn't moved back in yet because work still had to be done on her house, but it was certainly cleaned out and cleaned up.

She seemed happy with it. She was in her late 60's, had a hard life behind her and I think was used to just bullying her family mercilessly. This was the first time anybody had stood up to her. I wonder how things went for all of them after the show left. TBH I think Verna had gotten frail enough by then that she might not have been able to go out and forage for stuff to bring home and hoard, the way she'd done in prior years. 

ETA: Okay, I had to Google her. This story was published shortly after the episode aired and it's Verna at her most, well, Verna-like: https://patch.com/california/santacruz/hoarders-comes-to-santa-cruz

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 2

That article about Verna is so sad, she still paints herself as a victim, when she wouldn't let the crew get rid of much at all.     She's the one that wanted everything dumped in the front yard to sort through at some future time, and then the back, and that's when Corey (the cleanup pro) tried to tell her that there was no more room, and that they suspected that she would bring everything back in.    I can't believe codes enforcement or the fire department haven't condemned that house.     I guess it never occurred to her that if she slipped on the ladder, that she would be on the floor until she died, or if the ladder fell when she was up in the attic, she couldn't get down.  

Her daughter should stop trying to fix her mother's house, and worry about not falling into the pattern of hoarding herself, since every older person in the family is a hoarder.

I saw the one with the woman who fell and her sons were still yelling, and ignoring her.    Someone on the crew called the ambulance.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Jeeves said:

ETA: Okay, I had to Google her. This story was published shortly after the episode aired and it's Verna at her most, well, Verna-like: https://patch.com/california/santacruz/hoarders-comes-to-santa-cruz

From the article:   "Not everything in there was trash," Carter said, defending her collection. "They threw out my couch because a rat had nested in one end of it. Now, personally, myself, I wouldn't have thrown it away. What you do is you get in there and sew it back up. The damn thing cost 40 bucks!"

Yeah.... sew up the rat pee and poop inside of the couch and then sit on it for the next however many years.   

Also from the article:   Carter resides in a Santa Cruz convalescent home, where she undergoes treatment for diabetes, and meets regularly with a psychologist provided by the show. "For me, he is just someone to talk to. He may get something out of it, but not me. Maybe eventually I will. It's my daughter who wants me to go to all of these things. She is concerned about me, she thinks the shrink will help. So I go."

And there, ladies and gentlemen, is the crux of the problem.  She does not WANT to change and doesn't see a problem.

Edited by Kyanight
  • Love 8

Oh yeah that was a good article.  Verna blames the Hoarder crew for not getting it all and says this:

'Hoarders' hasn't held up its end of the bargain. According to Carter, 'Hoarders' failed to do a proper clean-up job on her house "because they just ran out of trucks."

Heh. I don't believe we've head that one before.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

This afternoon I watched an old episode with Mary whose home was about to be condemned.   They took 6 truck loads to the dump and gave up and Mary moved in with her sister down in Florida.  The city inspector condemned the house saying they just gave up - there was at least 4 more dumpsters with of crap left in the house.   https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/05/hoarding-buried-alive-mary-and-penny-video_n_1320610.html

No surprise there.  Mary wouldn't get rid of ANYTHING!  The very FIRST little tiny grocery store plastic bag of stuff they put in the dumpster she demanded they bring it back out.

• Love 3

On the season finale with Sandra (the Julian Price House) that was Matt Paxton's last episode, he said that there weren't enough of the huge, roll off construction dumpsters in the entire state to fill up, and haul away.     They had to fill the dumpster, empty it, and bring it back to fill again.     I think they said something like 47 dumpster loads, and they were the biggest dumpsters you can get.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3
15 hours ago, Kyanight said:

This afternoon I watched an old episode with Mary whose home was about to be condemned.   They took 6 truck loads to the dump and gave up and Mary moved in with her sister down in Florida.  The city inspector condemned the house saying they just gave up - there was at least 4 more dumpsters with of crap left in the house.   https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/05/hoarding-buried-alive-mary-and-penny-video_n_1320610.html

No surprise there.  Mary wouldn't get rid of ANYTHING!  The very FIRST little tiny grocery store plastic bag of stuff they put in the dumpster she demanded they bring it back out.

Turns out this was a "Buried Alive" episode, which I'd have realized if I'd paid more attention to the link in the cited comment. I've moved my response to the Buried Alive topic.

I lost my taste for these shows a few years ago but lately have been watching the repeats of this show and Buried Alive. I've set the DVR for the new season of this show. I'm truly hoping for not so many bottles of urine and more cases where people are not so super-sick, and can respond to help and therapy.

Edited by Jeeves
I goofed about which show this was.
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

Oh man, Mary was a piece of work. What a hostile human unit. Totally impermeable. When the therapist (I think) started out by asking her how she'd feel about discarding some old computer stuff, her instant reaction was nasty. "Oh. So you're a computer expert?" I mean, the therapist was holding up a MOLDY hard drive and Mary instantly attacked her for daring to say that was not an operable thing because. Computer expertise. 

Mary was vicious to everyone including her sister. I remind myself, these people are mentally ill. But I just can't dredge up any sympathy in my heart for Mary. I've encountered vicious people like that, and I do all that's possible to keep them out of my life.

When I got past the viciousness, it was clear that Mary was living in a fantasy world. Sure, Mary, someday you were going to retrieve the incredibly valuable information that was stored on the moldy hard drive, and old floppy disks, and the rest of that ancient crusty computer stuff that for years had been decaying quietly away in that hellhole of a house. Classic hoarder fantasy stuff.

I lost my taste for these shows a few years ago but lately have been watching the repeats of this and Buried Alive. I've set the DVR for the new season. I'm truly hoping for not so many bottles of urine and more cases where people are not so super-sick, and can respond to help and therapy.

Will you let me know if you come across the mother with young children who was going to lose custody?  She is the one who, when the therapist held up a used throw-away take-out drink cup from a fast food place said it was great for LOTS of uses and wouldn't even give up THAT in order to keep her children.   As I recall she wouldn't part with a single piece of trash.  I've always wondered what happened to she and her children but can't google updates because I don't know her name!

Mary WAS mean, with her squinted eyes and pursed lips and sharp tongue.  Her sister Penny told the inspector that Mary could not come and live with her because she would destroy her house in a very short amount of time - not to mention how mean she could be.  Then when I read that update - Penny had taken her sister in her home.

I see why you lost your taste for the show.  Most of the time it can get depressing.  Even when they clean up the homes, there is still gargantuan amounts of crap in tubs and stacks around the perimeter of the house, and a dozen rooms still filled with crap that they don't show on camera.  Their floors are rotted and stained and the house is a sad shadow of what it was in better days, before being filled with poop and pee and trash and junk.

• Love 2