Type keyword(s) to search

Windy City Rehab - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I just found this forum last night. I had been looking for one of the houses that was renovated on the show by using Google Maps and the Street View of W Evergreen Avenue. It took me quite a while to find it because the property is not listed for sale or having sold recently and because I mistakenly initially assumed that the property before 1969 would be 1967. It turned out to be 1965. By combining the correct address with the name of the show I wound up here 🙂

The smiling face above is not really big enough because my wife and I had been watching this show for weeks even though we are constantly pausing the recording and criticizing the design choices, quality of the finishes and attitude of AV and D. I just want to thank EVERYBODY in this forum for confirming everything we had been saying to each other for many weeks - fake buyers, "squatters" ???, garish huge range hoods, candles in super tacky fake fireplaces, ...

We enjoy watching the show specifically because it's so unintentionally funny. I can't imagine a second season unless it is honestly funded by the "Deutsche Bank".

• LOL 2
  • Love 11

Welcome @JoeBeta!

My guess is that HGVT doesn't give a diddly-squat about Allison and Donovan's finances, or those of their investors. They care about ratings and ad dollars.

I'm watching solely for the OMFG-ness of it all, but that's still watching. We've lost a few posters here who prefer seeing capable flippers with attractive and interesting remodels, but there are probably enough of us rubberneckers for a second season.

For whatever reason, HGTV has been running a LOT of promos for the show.

• Love 5

I found this show a couple weeks ago and was very interested since I've lived in the Chicago burbs for almost 50 years and have a lot of family in Chicago.

After watching just three episodes, I've come to the conclusion that these two are the dumbest rehabbers I have ever seen.

They bought a house with a renter in it (even though they were on a schedule) and then it took them four months to get rid of them.

They framed an addition on a house and obviously nobody was checking the work and it cost them $30k to tear it down and rebuild it.

They pre-sold a house and then still allowed the buyers to constantly make changes which kept pushing back the closing date (did that one ever close?).

Personally, I don't care for the half modern with historical elements in the houses.  Either go all modern or all historical.  Half and half just looks terrible.

• Love 5

The one that was pre-sold, didn't sell.     The partners met with the buyer, the buyer wanted to change a lot at that point of construction, and it would have cost extra to the company, so they said no.    Then, it went over the 1 November market date, so it was finished, and is sitting empty waiting for the sales season to start in Spring.     So instead of losing a little on reframing, and other changes for a guaranteed $1.4 million, they want to put it on the market for that price, and will have their costs to hold it for the extra 4 or more months until it sells.      Not a good decision, unless it was all for the show.   

• Love 4

There was the other one that "pre-sold" that the note said they were still negotiating about the upgrades which I read to mean that the buyers didn't want to pay extra for all the "fancy" crap that Allison packed into there over and above the original negotiated price. If the place comes with one of those mirrors she loves, fine, but I'm not paying extra for her to buy one, paint it, and install it. I could do that myself if I wanted it.

• Love 5
(edited)
8 hours ago, KeithJ said:

They framed an addition on a house and obviously nobody was checking the work and it cost them $30k to tear it down and rebuild it.

They are incompetent.  Not catching this before it became a huge mistake, means they don't pay attention to what's going on with each project on any regular basis.  They are not interested in the houses - just the money. 

There is also reason to wonder, and no way to know, what else may have been done wrong during construction at any of their houses, and what issues might turn up after buyers move in.  I would stay away after seeing this show.  No one is supervising.

Edited by izabella
  • Love 7

Watched a couple more episodes over the weekend.  This show is so bad it's good.

Don't remember which episode it was but it really sounded like they got an inspection AFTER the closed on the house (and, of course, the inspection turned up problems).  Don't people usually get inspections before they purchase homes?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, KeithJ said:

Don't people usually get inspections before they purchase homes?

Developers who buy homes intending to tear them down entirely, or to completely gut them, wouldn't really need to bother with a house inspection since they're just about starting from scratch.  But if they are keeping the shell of the house, like these two do, they should get the brickwork and foundation inspected, as well as the sewer.

• Love 4

In a seller's market, sometimes people will skip inspections to make their offer more competitive.    Not smart in my book, but if they intend to gut a place, then they probably only inspect what they know they will keep, which in some cases on this show is almost nothing but the outside walls.  

• Love 1
(edited)

Well, she screwed up another house.  Out went the beautiful window casings and doorway trims.  That transom that she designed was hideous.  Wasn't in proportion to the front door and a clash of design element.  Another walk by a group of phony prospective buyers.

Edited by cameron
  • Love 6

It seems foolish for AV to film this show, because the more we learn about her formula, the less we like and respect her. It's like looking behind the curtain in the Wizard of Oz. It seems like it may affect her prices and potential buyer base.  

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Writing Wrongs said:

They actually sold one.

I really not sure.  Can't find any realestate transactions on this property besides the one when they purchased it for $560,000.

1 hour ago, cameron said:

I really not sure.  Can't find any realestate transactions on this property besides the one when they purchased it for $560,000.

There’s some mortgage transfers and maodifications, but it looks like her company still owns the house. They’ve been pretty honest about whether they sold or not, so I’m not sure why there’s some subterfuge going on with this one. 

11 hours ago, irisheyes said:

There’s some mortgage transfers and maodifications, but it looks like her company still owns the house. They’ve been pretty honest about whether they sold or not, so I’m not sure why there’s some subterfuge going on with this one. 

It's possible the house is under contract and still hasn't closed for whatever reason (the buyer's stipulated X months until they take possession or sell their existing home, modifications they want made to the property, or issues that popped up during a thorough inspection that need to be addressed by Allison and Donovan, etc).

Or it could be the usual real estate sites haven't gotten updated deed transfer info from the city/county clerk's office.

I do appreciate that the show is pretty straight forward about overages, sale/no sale, and the like. I think they'll break even on this one or walk away with a very small profit.

The 1st home we bought in Chicago after we were married 40 years ago was 100 years old.  We preserved all the original woodwork and doors.  It is what added character to the house.    I am always sick when she pulls all the woodwork off.  How sad .  These modern finishes do nothing for me.

• Love 9
(edited)

What is with AV mugging for the camera so much this episode?  

UGH, with the fake buyers!  Again, same floorplan, same kitchen layout with same casual dining banquette, similar finishes in the bathrooms, etc as all their other homes.  I didn't see a formal dining area or a main level bath.  She couldn't get the ugly stove hood or the island to match that vintage "whiskey bar" cabinet?  They went from a small backyard to basically a non existent one due to the unnecessary addition.  I rolled my eyes when AV mentioned that people pay more for HER homes because she takes risks.  Nope, she's just limiting her buyer pool, IMO.  Not many people want ugly blue kitchen cabinets that you literally need a ladder to reach, no mudroom, no backyard, etc.

I really don't understand why it takes $600k to remodel a house.  Other shows that add floors/additions, etc do it for half that.  

According to the cook county recorder, the last entry for this address was 12/7/2018 and it was listed as "mortgage for $142,500." So I doubt it sold.  The house across the street (4bed/4bath 3500sq ft and completely updated) sold in Oct 2018 for just barely over a million and it was on the market for almost a year.

Edited by juliet73
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, WI GIRL56 said:

The 1st home we bought in Chicago after we were married 40 years ago was 100 years old.  We preserved all the original woodwork an(d doors.  It is what added character to the house.    I am always sick when she pulls all the woodwork off.  How sad .  These modern finishes do nothing for me.

I totally agree with you.  Have lived in a 1700's, and two 1800's homes.  Love the quirkiness of them (crooked doors, slanted floors, etc).  If you want new, buy new.

• Love 6

Her conviction that old barnwood is appropriate for formal Victorian houses drives me batty. There are different architectural eras and styles, Allison!

It's one thing if people deliberately choose to mix styles, but AV keeps insisting she's "restoring" these houses. To what?

At this point I wouldn't be surprised if she starts throwing in steampunk elements because she thinks they're "old."

• LOL 2
  • Love 7

It's really getting hard to watch this show.  Couldn't even watch this latest episode straight through.  Broke it up in two days.  While I really like the locale; it's the brutal end result thats a killer.  As I have stated earlier on this thread; run Donovan run.

• Love 3

I did get a kick out of the montage of her wood-working guy who thinks that every armoire and/or chest would make a good whiskey cabinet.

I liked the blue cabinets (I'm so over white cabinets) and that penny tile, which seemed to pull together colors from the cabinets and the hardware.

Alison seems to like to create larger and larger kitchen islands.  "This is the largest island we have done!" How much bigger can they possibly get? The entire length of the house?

• Love 8

I have to say that I LOVED the blue cabinets. I am also over white cabinets. They are so over done. I am actually in the process of having my own kitchen cabinets repainted in a very similar blue. Ari is as always wonderful. I keep telling myself that I’m going to quit watching this show, and I keep coming back. It’s like a train wreck. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Kapaluakids said:

I am also over white cabinets.

I can't even remember the last time anyone on a design or flipping show installed regular unpainted wood cabinets.

Maybe one of the rustic/cabin shows.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, MoreCoffeePlease said:

I did get a kick out of the montage of her wood-working guy who thinks that every armoire and/or chest would make a good whiskey cabinet.

I really wish he could get his own show!  I follow him on Instagram.  If anyone is interested...  hammerari is his IG name.  Ari Smejkal HAMMER DESIGN is his company.

• Love 5
(edited)
24 minutes ago, juliet73 said:

I really wish he could get his own show!  I follow him on Instagram.  If anyone is interested...  hammerari is his IG name.  Ari Smejkal HAMMER DESIGN is his company.

By far the most bearable person on this show.

My kitchen has natural wood cabinets (Ikea Fagerland) and it isn't what I would have chosen (I wanted, yep, white cabinets, beach glass backsplash, and sandy colored countertops) but now, I wouldn't change them. They add "character" to the kitchen. 😛 I did just add white cabinets to my dark family room to hide some of the dark brick on the huge fireplace. I was thinking about covering it with drywall and then putting a fake mantle on it but, well, Allison showed me just how absolutely stupid that looks (even if she did have tile behind it, it looked exactly like the wall). Just kidding. Never had an idea that dumb in my life.

At first i thought they were faking the destruction of the different front facade pieces...and I still think that. For all that they talked about dormering the back and leaving the front as is, the graphics showed a full second story right from the beginning.

The floor plans are so repetitive. I mean, I guess they are the most popular layouts but it is pretty easy to predict the basement rec room + guest bed/bath, the upper master +2/3 beds, the open concept main floor with extra sitting space in the back...the only interesting bits have been when they do some outdoor decks.

Edited by MaKaM
  • Love 1

I know I've said this before, but I finish AV would broaden her horizons when it comes to choosing neighborhoods. I also know she's gone to other areas throughout the show, but it seems like she's always in Bucktown. But hey, at least she's not very likely to flip homes in my neighborhood and turn all of the lovely multi-flat houses there into single-family houses, haha. Anyways, I also loved the blue cabinets and how they contrasted with the orange hood and that larger cabinet. Something different!

At first, I was into the half modern/half historical design. I really enjoy having the charm and history of an older home, but also having modern finishes inside the home. However, it now looks disjointed to me after looking at actual old and new homes on Trulia and how the owners maintain the houses. Well, at least how AV does it. 

• Love 3

I'm back to vent. I just watched the episode in Bucktown. I had taken a few episodes off because it irritates me so much. Again with the open concept? She kept alluding to English charm referring to her "design". Jesus, she wouldn't know charm if it bit her in the ass. One of the charming things about English city houses is lovely separate rooms! With doors! A room of one's own!  And that hideous front entrance? And the cheesy brass again? This woman is the worst-a spendthrift who buys crap and seems to have lousy communications with the contractors. I can't watch this show anymore. I don't think my blood pressure can take it. Sorry everyone-thanks for letting me vent!

• Love 10

One more thing-as a native Chicagoan, I had always hoped to return to the city after retirement. Chicago's public transportation system is so amazing that you really can sell your car and rely on the CTA and Metra. People like AV doing renos like this are what's making Chicago unaffordable for young people just starting out,  and oldsters like me who want to come back, turning these 2 and 4 flats into single family houses. How many of these renos of hers are still unsold?  It's really a shame.

• Love 11
(edited)
10 minutes ago, Bunnyto4 said:

People like AV doing renos like this are what's making Chicago unaffordable for young people just starting out,  and oldsters like me who want to come back, turning these 2 and 4 flats into single family houses. How many of these renos of hers are still unsold?  It's really a shame.

Several of my family members lived in Chicago back in the 50s and 60s and those 2- and 3-flats were never single family homes. My grandfather owned one on the south side at one time and it was always a 4-flat.

Edited by CruiseDiva
  • Love 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, Bunnyto4 said:

People like AV doing renos like this are what's making Chicago unaffordable for young people just starting out,  and oldsters like me who want to come back, turning these 2 and 4 flats into single family houses.

The dumbest part is that she and Donovan made the most (self-reported) profit on their flip of the building with four apartments.

Edited by 2727
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, CruiseDiva said:

Several of my family members lived in Chicago back in the 50s and 60s and those 2- and 3-flats were never single family homes. My grandfather owned one on the south side at one time and it was always a 4-flat.

You're so right! Many of my friends lived in multi flats and some of the other apartments were actually rented by grandparents,  in-laws, maiden aunts, etc. It may have been one family,  but everyone had their own space. That was pretty common in lots of big cities post WWII.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, Bunnyto4 said:

You're so right! Many of my friends lived in multi flats and some of the other apartments were actually rented by grandparents,  in-laws, maiden aunts, etc. It may have been one family,  but everyone had their own space. That was pretty common in lots of big cities post WWII.

It was also common in Chicago suburbs like Melrose Park where a friend's father owned a three-flat. Her family lived on the main floor and relatives rented the upper floor and 'garden' level apartments.

• Love 2

This show makes me want to watch with a spreadsheet open to tabulate the amount of money they spend due to buying houses without knowing of major problems or making major changes after they make the budget or just plain screwing up or carrying costs due to not planning or organizing things before they start.

I feel like at the end of a season you would have enough money to buy another whole house and flip it with that money.

• Love 3

I can't help but compare this show to the current season of Philly Revival. This week when Rachel found unexpected knob and tube wiring that needed to be replaced, she simply crossed out "new baseboards" on her budget and repainted the old ones. Viewers can tell that it's clearly her money and livelihood.

Who knows what kind of Ponzi scheme AV is running on her investors.

• Love 8

I only watched a little bit (I was deep into Hoarders), but when you have a secure buyer, and they want a white kitchen, then rip the kitchen cabinets out, get stock cabinets that look good, and are available, and sell the place.     She always talks about being short on money, and carrying costs, but yet they have a bunch of houses waiting for selling season.     I can't believe that they actually sold a house.       I guess they talked the buyer into living with the brown cabinets?     What do you want to bet, that they repaint or reface the cabinets to white on the taller kitchen wall?   

• Love 1

No, Allison, those kitchen cabinets don't look like "they've always been there", just because they're brown. The style didn't look vintage at all to me. I'm not a designer, but I feel pretty confident in saying that a kitchen of that vintage would have probably had inset cabinets, where the door sits flush inside the cabinet frame. Allison put in full overlay cabinets, where the door sits on top of the cabinet frame so the frame is not visible. There are pictures of period inset cabinets at this link.

Once again the same floor plan. From front to back: living room, dining room, kitchen, living room. How about making one of those living rooms into a library/office with 4 walls. If she wants to add a vintage element, put in pocket doors into the room.

Edited by absolutelyido
  • Love 7

Or put a library/office in the back living space, and for a work from home person that would be great.   

I actually know people who bought the huge houses (not in Chicago) with the great room, family room, huge master suite with sitting room houses, and they sold it and downsized.    Everyone in the family scattered to separate rooms, and there was no family interaction, so they changed it by having fewer extra rooms.      

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3

Wish she would stop using the term "A" frame.  This is simple worker's cottage.  Doesn't she know what a A frame looks like.  Once again, poor knowledge about the condition of the purchased property.  Inspections are usually done before closings just to cover liabilities like this.  Also, who needs to see a staged property after already signing the contract to buy.  While I did like the antique fireplace mantle, didn't like the mirror that she added as an after thought and I thought that the kitchen cabinets were ugly.  Would have ditch those in a moment.

• Love 8

So glad she didn't buy the place in Lincoln Park.   I liked it and was glad she didn't ruin that one.

Again nothing new with her design.  And it is not anywhere near being an A-frame.  She is really stuck in a certain design mind set and will not change.  

• Love 5
11 hours ago, irisheyes said:

Xfinity tells me this was new, but I’ve seen it before. I feel like they filmed some new scenes (like the complaining about “haters” on social media) and called it new. 

Thank you! Direct TV said it was new also, but I could have sworn this was repeat. I remember a house collapsing and the white cabinets issue in a previous episode. Now I know I wasn't imagining things!

• Love 2

I think this was the "pilot" episode that aired last year.  It's obvious this was one of the very first episodes since AV was actually kind of being nice to Donovan and she wasn't being a total egotistical b!tch like she is now.   Plus, Ari and his business were formally introduced.  I rolled my eyes when AV said "if you want something done right, you have to do it yourself."  Ha!  I would NEVER leave anything up to her (or D) and assume it will turn out correctly. Also, when she told D that she's never read anything negative about herself until now...LOL!  She obviously must read very little because I read more way negative than positive comments about her and her renovations.  Another chuckle was when she held up the sketch and asked D "does this look like a concrete box?!"  YES!!  Yes, it does!! And so do all of your other ones!!!  

Once again, same layout and similar finishes as all of her other homes.  I hate that she replaced the living room window with a huge single one that doesn't open.  I didn't like the brass framed mirror over the fireplace - a mirror inside of the wood frame would have looked so much better!  The buyers were so full of it - they were so over the top with their compliments.  Either A. they picked out the finishes (and the brown vs white cabinets was just TV drama) or B. they got paid to gush about AV and her designs.  I'm going to go with C. both because AV said the house was purchased $1.375 mil, but according to public records, it was really bought for $1.365 mil.  Interestingly enough, the house was listed at the end of Jan 2017 for $1.425 mil and in the property description it specifically says "April Delivery".  Because of that and the realtor saying he and the buyers already walked the property the night before leads me to believe, it had an MLS and was not some random couple walking by that were so struck by the awesomeness of AV's designs that they HAD to have the house, like the show made it out to be.

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, juliet73 said:

I hate that she replaced the living room window with a huge single one that doesn't open. 

That window really bothered me.  It looked wrong and misplaced from the outside.  It was just the wrong style of window for that house.  Inside, it felt like they were on display to the street, which they will be without window coverings, especially at night.  And not being able to open it on that first balmy spring day is criminal. 

• Love 11