Type keyword(s) to search

Windy City Rehab - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I came here to say how much I dislike AV! She really doesn't seem to know what she is doing with her budget and her way of handling problems is to yell and blame others! Many(if not all) the problems are of her making and inability to control her supervisors, etc.

On 2/2/2019 at 3:42 PM, car54 said:

I mainly like the guy who does her little specialty projects for her--rebuilding fireplaces, etc---I like him a lot.  I wish she'd kind of step back and let him do his thing and let us see what he could come up with on his own.

Now I do like the guy who does all of the woodworking and he really seems to know what he is doing. I wish he had a show of his own. I don't know how he puts up with AV...she must pay well!

• Love 9

What is with her?  She goes on and on about wanting to save the historic integrity of these properties and then goes ahead and rips out the original window casings, floors and brick walls.  Those brass kitchen hoods are going to go out of fashion really fast.  Not a fan of mixing metallic finishes in a kitchen.  I also think that the prospective buyers that they bring in are all plants.  Also, did this property really sell.  Can't find any record besides when they purchased the property.

Edited by cameron
  • Love 8
13 hours ago, cameron said:

What is with her?  She goes on and on about wanting to save the historic integrity of these properties and then goes ahead and rips out the original window casings, floors and brick walls.

And then they lost the bathroom sink, one of the few items from the house she did want to save.   Did they say someone stole it?  Really?  Someone came in and stole just the sink?  Why do I believe someone threw it away, accidentally or intentionally, instead?

It really annoys me that she rips original stuff out, and then goes to a salvage place to get different stuff that "looks old" to put in the house, paying no attention to whether it's even from the right period.  It's a historic house, for fuck's sake.  You don't gut a historic house down to its shell and rip out all the history.

She also put an addition on the back which took a lot of sun away from the neighbor's yard.   I can't imagine they were happy with that.

• Love 10

I don't even know where to begin with this episode!  I can see why all the neighbors are pissed about what AV did.  The house is a complete eyesore from the back and doesn't fit in at all anymore with the rest of homes in the area!  There was absolutely no need to add that huge addition to the back!  She kept saying over and over how she was staying true to the era of the home, but the only thing that stayed was the fireplace.  Everything else was ripped out.  She pays a lot of money for vintage doors, windows, etc.  She should go to Habitat for Humanity once in a while; I'm sure she could find awesome stuff there for half the price.  She'd probably find the sink that was "stolen" there.   I didn't understand why so much time and money was wasted on the chicken coop.  The stove hood was atrocious! The rest of the house looked like everyone other house she's done.  No character, trendy finishes and overpriced/unnecessary pieces that add "character."  I can't find anything online that confirms this house sold so it probably didn't.  I'm not surprised though because no one is going to pay $1.3 million for a home in a $650,000 neighborhood.  

Edited by juliet73
  • Love 10
47 minutes ago, izabella said:

And then they lost the bathroom sink, one of the few items from the house she did want to save.   Did they say someone stole it?  Really?  Someone came in and stole just the sink?  Why do I believe someone threw it away, accidentally or intentionally, instead?

It really annoys me that she rips original stuff out, and then goes to a salvage place to get different stuff that "looks old" to put in the house, paying no attention to whether it's even from the right period.  It's a historic house, for fuck's sake.  You don't gut a historic house down to its shell and rip out all the history.

I wanted to punch her in the throat when she blamed everyone, but herself about the "stolen" sink. 

I read this:  "Eckhardt said a stone fireplace, three clawfoot bathtubs, stained glass art and vintage wall sconces were taken out of the home and will all be restored."  Tony and Miriam Ruiz say they’re not impressed by the preservation efforts they’ve seen so far, which included witnessing original wood moldings get tossed in a Dumpster and coming home to find a hydrangea bush torn out from the parkway in front of the home, a bush that Ruiz said she would have wanted to have the opportunity to save and replant.

• Love 6

She also put an addition on the back which took a lot of sun away from the neighbor's yard.   I can't imagine they were happy with that.

Imagine if every year you looked forward to tending to your vegetable garden and now....the sun is gone.

And don't forget, they also lose air circulation.

I loved the front of the 2123 house from start to finish. It's a shame there was a reno within those walls, though. 

It doesn't seem that AV really has much understanding of vintage homes, so much of this show is merely her fulfilling her inner designer fantasy with little regard to being historically accurate. 

It's a pity how money affords people the ability to run amok and negatively affect the lives of the neighbors left behind.

• Love 10
On 2/6/2019 at 9:01 PM, izabella said:

Seriously.  No one is trying to swipe an old sink.  It likely ended up in the dumpster along with a bunch of other stuff.  The article said that Ruiz noticed some of the original fixtures were getting trashed, so there you go.

The end result was too much.  The heavy ass wooden door for a freaking pantry, the unnecessary chicken coop, that massive addition...they reached too far with this one.

As for the article, I can imagine this happens a lot with these flipping shows.  Constant construction, film crews, needless updating...I would be annoyed too.  And since these shows run on a deadline, the commotion is non stop and doesn't die down for weeks, so the neighbors get angrier.  It's one reason why homeowners do renos in parts instead of all at once.

I feel bad for these neighbors in particular, because that stupid addition probably drives down the property values of their own homes.  If it's blocking sunlight and sticks out like a sore thumb...yikes.

• Love 5

No one is trying to swipe an old sink. 

Actually, she did say folks from the kinds of places she goes to re-buy the stuff she could've just kept come around all the time looking for things (makes sense to me, I'm a professor and "book brokers" come around constantly looking to get publisher copies of books from our offices that they resell) ... my first thought, though, was that the dude she was talking to sold it all to one of those folks who stopped by, lol. He certainly didn't have much to say about any of it. 

Girl, get a storage shed with a lock or a warehouse or something (instead of throwing perfectly cool old stuff that you have to go re-buy into the dumpster) -- it's not rocket science.

Edited by tljgator
I said "stuff" about eleventy times in a row
  • Love 1

But the drama?! One of my problems with this wannabe-a-popular show is the self-created “drama.” Not the usual crap of the remodel shows—issues that somehow didn’t show up during the inspection or addle-brained homeowners with last-minute changes—but screw ups caused by AV’s ineptitude. It’s Chicago, HGTV, do better.

Are there no decent house inspectors in Texas, Nashville or Canada? 

• Love 4

I enjoy this show, but none of these projects are "flips." Flips are quick and dirty remodels that give the appearance of modernity and quality. Alison adds a lot of vintage design that not everyone will appreciate and very few will pay for. I like her attention to detail, but they waste tons of money with poor research and planning and over-designing RENTAL units.

STOP WITH THE ASTRO TURF. Nobody  wants that instead of a deck or real grass. I live in Chicago. I know. 

• Love 6
On 2/10/2019 at 2:27 PM, Amethyst said:

Seriously.  No one is trying to swipe an old sink.  It likely ended up in the dumpster along with a bunch of other stuff.  The article said that Ruiz noticed some of the original fixtures were getting trashed, so there you go.

The end result was too much.  The heavy ass wooden door for a freaking pantry, the unnecessary chicken coop, that massive addition...they reached too far with this one.

As for the article, I can imagine this happens a lot with these flipping shows.  Constant construction, film crews, needless updating...I would be annoyed too.  And since these shows run on a deadline, the commotion is non stop and doesn't die down for weeks, so the neighbors get angrier.  It's one reason why homeowners do renos in parts instead of all at once.

I feel bad for these neighbors in particular, because that stupid addition probably drives down the property values of their own homes.  If it's blocking sunlight and sticks out like a sore thumb...yikes.

That chicken coop should have been scrapped.  It's the last thing that I would want in my backyard in the city or actually anywhere else.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Goodnight said:

I enjoy this show, but none of these projects are "flips." Flips are quick and dirty remodels that give the appearance of modernity and quality. Alison adds a lot of vintage design that not everyone will appreciate and very few will pay for. I like her attention to detail, but they waste tons of money with poor research and planning and over-designing RENTAL units.

STOP WITH THE ASTRO TURF. Nobody  wants that instead of a deck or real grass. I live in Chicago. I know. 

Her lack of knowledge regarding the vintage details that she buys for her projects is appalling.  Most of it doesn't even fit the character of the home.

• Love 7
On January 30, 2019 at 3:29 PM, LoveIsJoy said:

What was the reason Allison gave that she couldn't use the hutch part of the built-in "as planned?"  Somehow I doubt she planned to ever use it at all because she said there were pot lights installed and something about the storage would be too high?  What does that even mean? She was mumbling quickly during that part and I didn't understand. 

Don't they have professional architectural plans to work from?  Do the electricians just begin putting up pot lights wherever they please? Don't the carpenters measure height clearances before they create and install projects? How the heck does a 36" hood (which looked basic to me, even though it was specially crafted) get installed instead of a 42" one? How is it a complete surprise that the old concrete steps needed to be demolished before the new entrance could be built, and that such work costs time and money?  Does she just randomly change the plans when she has a whim, after all of the work has already been signed off on and done?  And why did it take two sets of inspectors--and three weeks of inactivity--before they finally passed inspection?  What is the payoff in adding $100,00 to the budget to expand an already large and pricey home.  And finally, where's Mike Holmes when you need him?!  He'd straighten everybody out in no time! LOL

I absolutely cringed when she tore that historical built-in out out of the wall, and broke it up into 2 pieces.  Then painted it.  And discarded the top (for another project--sure).  To make the room more "open" (which it actually didn't).  Yeah, because nothing says Old Chicago like a half-assed, painted wood, built-in. (/sarcasm).  I'm Chicago-adjacent, and every time I'm in the city I'm just in awe of the beauty of some of that architecture. 

I also hated that she used that antique mirror frame (I forget the actual name of it) to frame a piece of art.  Art is so subjective; unless that quickie painting is exactly what the buyers wanted nailed into the wall.  

At least she didn't paint the outside brick, white, this time.  Personally, I'm beyond sick of white and gray, gray and gray, white on white, and white and black on my TV. In a city as diverse as Chicago, there surely must be some other colors available to inspire viewers. 

I'm also way past the trend of open concept.  I'm gonna need to see some walls, dammit!

I'm hate watching at this point.  And wondering if she will run out of money or if Donovan will run off from a job site, mid-project, with his hair on fire.

You can so get an amen from me about the open concept! In college (50 years ago) I lived in a big open concept-it's called a studio! Over it! I'm also hate watching at this point-the cheesy brass accents are bad enough but destroying the beautiful built ins was the last straw for me.

• Love 8

I've only watched one episode and that I mostly slept through; her angst about every little thing was too much for me from the parts I did see, though.

But as I watch that channel a lot, I have seen the promos about a zillion times, and I'm curious about what happened with the one where she is driving by and sees a huge pile of bricks in the gap where a rowhouse would be, and then is seen sitting sadly with another person on the steps in front of the pile.  If this episode has shown, can someone be so kind as to enlighten me as to what happened and why it was a surprise to her?  

2 hours ago, Jobiska said:

[W]hat happened with the one where she is driving by and sees a huge pile of bricks in the gap where a rowhouse would be, and then is seen sitting sadly with another person on the steps in front of the pile.  If this episode has shown, can someone be so kind as to enlighten me as to what happened and why it was a surprise to her? 

This episode already aired, but I’m tagging just in case anyone who hasn’t seen the episode yet doesn’t want to be spoiled.

Spoiler

IIRC, this was a situation that was (IMO) manufactured to provide angst and drama.  I don’t quite remember the details, but it started out like every episode, with Allison going over all of the changes she planned to make to the house.  Then, an “unexpected crisis” happened in the early stages of the rehab and she got a call from her contractor that some of the house would need to be demolished (I forget why...city code or structural issues).  Then there’s the oh-so-dramatic scene of her driving up and seeing the entire house in a pile of rubble.  I remember watching and rolling my eyes so hard, thinking that she planned it as a tear down from the beginning.  In order to keep with the theme of Windy City-rehabbing the house, they had to pretend they had a plan to rehab it in the first place.   I could be wrong, but that was my initial reaction to the episode.  Manufactured drama.

• Love 7

Ugh, why was she gluing fucking knobs on the wall?  Anyone with sense would pry those fuckers off and then have to fix the damn drywall.

Her hair is a wig or piece.  It’s not hand tied, either.  Cheap ass, get a quality piece. 

• Love 5

What I love about this show is that they’re so free with the addresses, so it’s easy to look up the details.  House is still unsold, and it looks like they have a $1.5 million mortgage on it. 

Run, Donovan, and find a developer/flipper who doesn’t go $100K over budget on dumb stuff like dummy knobs. 

• Love 9

I can’t believe they actually walked away from a full price offer (if that was real). I would stipulate that framing was done/walls couldn’t be moved, but let the buyer choose everything else (and I’m sure it would have turned out better than what she did anyway, looking at you glued on doorknobs). She acts like people should be honored to live in her designs rather than what they really like/want. Apparently she thinks of herself as an artist rather than a flipper, lol. Donovan should ditch her post haste, not that he seems much more competent, but at least he has a concept of money. 

Also, the brick looked much better before she whitewashed it and the door + frame was totally out of place. 1820 French =/= 1880 Chicago. She was standing there looking at the frame in the shop and her little brain was going 18...18...totally the same! + gaudy...perfect! Not. 

• Love 12

This is saying something, but worst remodel yet. What the actual fuck with that front door surround?

The couple who were fake viewing it should get all the acting awards for pretending that any of it was good, or pretty, or of high quality.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7

This show is getting really hard to watch.  Only reason I make myself watch is to see local Chicago areas.  Use to live there.  The phony pretend buyers that they bring in are just as bad as her.  I've been to London and this certainly didn't look like a London flat design to me. Also I am so over her custom kitchen hoods with the brass.  What happens this fad goes out of style.

RUN DONOVAN RUN!

Edited by cameron
  • Love 8

Why is there no porch to protect that historic surround?  It will warp and get damaged in no time in the Chicago weather.  And you always take $1.4 million in the bank, especially when you've been shown to have carrying costs on other shows.  I realize the offer probably came after the framing was done (clearly they're faking some of the days stuff is actually getting done for timeline purposes), but if that had been the case, the smart thing to do would have been to hold off on framing until they met with the client so they could accommodate wall changes. 

• Love 5

This episode was really weird.  I felt like it was filmed earlier and they put it in later in the season.   Alison and Donovan seemed to be explaining their process and how the show works more than in other episodes.  At least I I know why she insists on those stupid hood vents because she said she  designs the actual machinery in them (I think? I really get consumed with rage when I watch this show and am busy snarking loudly to my husband when she talks so I could of misheard).   Also, didn't she have the same exact conversation with Donovan about the getting a full offer and worrying about changes and control in an earlier episode?  The penthouse one?  It seemed like they spliced the entire car conversation about it in that episode.  

Why do I torture myself on this show? LOL!

• Love 3

The episode last night made me crazy. I’m glad someone else pointed out that that expensive-ass door surround would be ruined in no time. There was no way that thing would survive without heavy protection. And the ornate door door surround and fancy doorknobs with the boxy style of the new house…?! Dude. She obviously views herself as an artist and isn’t interested in actually making money OR making a house that someone else would love. The client (who was offering full price!!!!) dared to question AV’s aesthetic or have an opinion of her own was just treated like shit. If you’re in the business to make money redoing houses that’s not how you do that. If you’re trying to do a design show disguised as a flipping business then that makes sense. 

When is Restored coming back to DIY? I need a show where “saving historical elements” isn’t complete and utter bullshit. 

• Love 8

OMG, this woman.  Everyone appears to thankfully be on the same page.....she's a bull in a China shop, out to absolutely destroy everything in her path.  It's really hard to watch.  

The phony pretend buyers that they bring in are just as bad as her.  

Ok, I understand that somewhere out there is a 23 year old couple who for whatever reason can afford a million + dollar home.  Nobody is being fooled by these fake actors.  Geesh, the little girl "potential buyer" in the last episode had absolutely the worst vocal fry I've ever heard.  

• Love 5
1 hour ago, reallymadcow said:

The episode last night made me crazy. I’m glad someone else pointed out that that expensive-ass door surround would be ruined in no time. There was no way that thing would survive without heavy protection. And the ornate door door surround and fancy doorknobs with the boxy style of the new house…?! Dude. She obviously views herself as an artist and isn’t interested in actually making money OR making a house that someone else would love.

That door surround was butt ugly on the front of that house. It looked like an afterthought to make the facade "fancy" or something. I liked the doors, but they opened outward, which I though was odd.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Kiki620 said:

OMG, this woman.  Everyone appears to thankfully be on the same page.....she's a bull in a China shop, out to absolutely destroy everything in her path.  It's really hard to watch.  

I feel like Chicago needs to STOP HER from destroying Bucktown, Wicker Park and Ukrainian Village.  She must be stopped!  Her renos are awful, and I really, really hate that she takes out the original history, and puts in "London flat" fireplaces and French mirror door surrounds.  Chicago is not London or France and has its own history RIGHT THERE in the house.  Or go all modern and stop trying to put in "old stuff" to try to make up for fucking up the original old stuff.

And , hello, tall rectangular box is nobody's style or history!  While I'm at it, if you are going to turn a charming A frame into a giant rectangular box, then don't put narrow front windows on your addition.  With the house being so close to the neighbors, it needs all the light it can get from the front and back windows.  She also gave that house a "family" room with no place for a tv. 

I hate watch, but I don't know how long I can last without giving myself an aneurysm during the show.

• Love 10

I now wach on mute to get my hometown fix. When this show began, I was excited because it was marketed as restoring old Chicago homes and keeping the homes integrity and not adhering to open floorplans (yuck!), but, as I watched the episodes, that seems not to be true.

• Love 5

There was literally nothing left of that house from last night, and it was laughable that that house fit in with the neighbors.   For two people who were complaining about costs, the brass fixtures were a needless expense, and I hated the front stoop, and doors.    That house looked so over the top compared to the neighbors.    However, I suggest that if I was casing houses for burglary, that the fancy gilded door one would be my choice, because I would bet they would have the best stuff to steal. 

Did the front doors open out over the porch?  I hope not. 

They could have paid their carrying costs for the winter with what they paid extra for, such as, brass lights and finishes, and the front doors.        In a place where they can get a lot of snow, having a wide open set of front stairs like that was not a good thing.   

I'm sure the partner's statement that if the house doesn't sell for $1.4 million, then he's rethinking the partnership was for the show.  

The carrying costs were a huge issue, then they weren't mentioned again.       For the money, that really wasn't that big of a living space upstairs.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2

As mentioned upthread, I also watched the episode where she 'rehabbed' shat she described as being a charming A framed home. Yet, she raised the ceiling and turned it into another brick box with two huge black doors with gold knobs. A shame to see that home destroyed. But, sort of 'tickled' that she went on about how charming the home was and left it unrecognizable. Her partner, looked to be at his wits end, every time he mentioned the home being able to sell for the asking price she wanted. He looked just genuinely defeated by the whole ordeal. 

Edited by jonesingjay
  • Love 5
On 2/12/2019 at 11:33 AM, Jobiska said:

But as I watch that channel a lot, I have seen the promos about a zillion times, and I'm curious about what happened with the one where she is driving by and sees a huge pile of bricks in the gap where a rowhouse would be, and then is seen sitting sadly with another person on the steps in front of the pile.  If this episode has shown, can someone be so kind as to enlighten me as to what happened and why it was a surprise to her?  

I read  that  pilot episode house will be re-shown as the last episode  of  the season.

Edited by sheetmoss

I feel like Chicago needs to STOP HER from destroying Bucktown, Wicker Park and Ukrainian Village. 

Totally. It is such a shame. I guess we are complicit if we keep watching ... we should stop watching and tell HGTV not to be a part of this?!?!

She is just so pleased with herself about all of her "design" elements.

• Love 3
On 2/12/2019 at 3:51 PM, LoveIsJoy said:

This episode already aired, but I’m tagging just in case anyone who hasn’t seen the episode yet doesn’t want to be spoiled.

Thanks so much, @LoveIsJoy!  I really appreciate your detailed recap, as I would only catch it by chance.  I like your profile picture too!

We live in a Philadelphia rowhouse and several years ago someone stole the decorative iron grates off of our basement windows--while we were sleeping!  I vaguely heard a noise at 3 A.M.  Some metal is stolen for metal recycling which pays cash, some for resale as cool old stuff--some years later we heard of a place where a lot of them had been seized and you could go look for yours, but we'd never reported it (just didn't think to) and not sure we'd have known which were ours, if they were there.

So sure, people could steal a sink.  But from all I'm reading above, I suspect that in this case they didn't necessarily.

• Love 4
On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 12:09 PM, izabella said:

feel like Chicago needs to STOP HER from destroying Bucktown, Wicker Park and Ukrainian Village. 

This show always makes me super thankful to have bought my 1872 house in local historic district with strong protections for exteriors. My neighbors and I do bitch about the over-the-topness of some of the restrictions and demands of the district directors, but we've avoided having an AV come in and wreck stuff.

• Love 5

Is there such a thing as a “city cottage “? It just annoys that she thinks the shit she’s doing is historic.  It’s the same fucking asthetic as Joanna Gaines.

god, I hate brass hardware, blue caninets, and white walls with black accents.  

Those 80’s houses she did looked better before.  She’s such a pretentious poopsicle.  

• Love 7

Old school Chicago had neighborhoods full of cottages, or workers’ cottages, built from the 1800s into the 20th century. In so many neighborhoods now, they’re tear downs, with some modern whatever or faux classic home built in its place. Her historical vision is hysterical. And so nothing special.

• Love 4
On 1/15/2019 at 9:38 PM, absolutelyido said:

I like Allison and Donovan. I generally like Allison's style, but I'd like to see her get over her enthrallment with brass finishes. I see a lot of tv designers using gold and brass finishes, but I don't know of anyone in real life who is using it, or who likes it. It still looks dated to me.

I lived in Chicago for a decade. One of my friends is a native Chicagoan, and he watches the show too. We always poke fun at Alison's love of brass. And like you, I think it looks dated.

I know designers each have an aesthetic, but AV needs to branch out a bit. She reminds me of Joanna Gaines that way. 

Also, I feel as if most of Alison's house choices are in Bucktown. I get that she lives there, but there are plenty of interesting neighborhoods throughout Chicago. She needs to go beyond her comfort zone.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 2
On 2/15/2019 at 12:17 AM, Surrealist said:

I know designers each have an aesthetic, but AV needs to branch out a bit. She reminds me of Joanna Gaines that way.

Yeah, she isn't an innovator--her designs are derivative and she spends too much time/money/effort on personal design choices that look great in the final reveal but are so specific to her and now that she might as well keep some of the 80s glass block because that is what her brass hoods will be in two years. If I was seeing something new and leading edge, I'd more easily forgive her abrasive "me, me, me" personality but since she is showing designs and ideas that I can see anywhere and all day on pinterest her fascination with herself is totally unwarranted.

• Love 6

Hoyne:  I agree with everyone else... this house was a fail.  AV needs to get over herself.   She drives me mad when she brags about how original her designs are. Nope, all her homes look the same.  Rectangular boxes, identical layouts, brass fixtures, gaudy vent hoods, white subway tile, unnecessary "vintage" pieces and needless additions.  

I understand not wanting to move walls, etc for the potential buyer since the framing was already done.  However, AV didn't have to be such a b!tch to her or Donovan about it.  He really needs to wash his hands of her and move on to a different partner.  Hopefully, someone who is way more professional, more budget conscience, and isn't so selfish and egotistical! 

Onto the house...the front doors open out? And no porch overhang?  So not only is her "vintage, French" door surround going to get ruined from the elements, but also visitors get to stand outside in the rain and snow.  Hopefully, when the door is opened, people won't fall backwards down the porch steps because the it opens in the wrong direction.  I don't understand why AV never includes a foyer in the plans.  I think if she did, a coat closet wouldn't be an afterthought or non existent like in this house.  The "mudroom cabinets" should have been installed near the back door, not at the opposite end of the family room.  I liked the shower in the master, but everything else was meh.  Considering they spent over $550k on renovations, I would have expected a lot more.  This house did not say "London flat" at all.  It said "I'm way overpriced with no vintage details or character left.  I'm completely generic on the inside and totally ugly on the outside."

The woman buyer at the end was so annoying and her overacting was just too much!  

• Love 8

Jesus H Christ--I just watched the show where AV and Donovan get in a big fight because he has a full price buyer early on in the rehab process and AV absolutely refuses to allow the new owner to change anything in "her design" even tho things are not done yet, and could be modified to their requests if they wanted to pay for changes.    AND then they have to carry the 1.4 million dollar house until spring to put it on the market because they turn down the buyers they had?  

AND TWO THOUSAND DOLLAR FREAKING DOORKNOBS?     That gold front door surround is so pretentious and it is going to last one season in Chicago winter weather with no protection.

Does she know how bad she comes across on this show?    

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

Like most everyone here, I was definitely sad that she ripped that façade of the Hoyne house. That's the history there!

On 2/14/2019 at 11:17 PM, Surrealist said:

I lived in Chicago for a decade. One of my friends is a native Chicagoan, and he watches the show too. We always poke fun at Alison's love of brass. And like you, I think it looks dated.

Also, I feel as if most of Alison's house choices are in Bucktown. I get that she lives there, but there are plenty of interesting neighborhoods throughout Chicago. She needs to go beyond her comfort zone.

I'd love to see her step out of her safe zone as well. I'd personally like to some properties that are less pricey and *gasp* are outside of the north side if the show lasts that long.

• Love 1

Here's the thing about AV and the potential buyer. AV is not a custom builder. She does renos...basically an upper end flipper. I understand AV not wanting to get involved with the buyer who thought she could get a custom home when plans had already been approved by the city, materials bought, etc. etc. I don't blame AV one bit for not wanting to deal with her. But that said, IF the buyer was willing to PAY extra for those changes, then that's another story altogether.

• Love 4

How is Donovan all that much better than her? He's not an especially good project manager from what we've seen -- he's often not around when (per others ) he should be, things are stolen from his job sites and seems to know nothing about it, things with sub-contractors are mismanaged, etc.  I mean, she's fairly worthless, but he's no great shakes either, IMO.

In the beginning, I was interested to see one of these shows actually set inside a big city center area -- see what unique challenges came of that, etc.  Now? Just disappointment at these outcomes. Feh.

• Love 8