Type keyword(s) to search

Windy City Rehab - General Discussion

• Start Topic

My understanding from reading several articles about the show, is that Season 1 and Season 2 are actually filmed at the same time.   Then the stop work orders, and permit issues started, and anything that wasn't already finished was waiting for the permits, and approvals to happen.  Then the additional footage was filmed, and all of the commentary by A.V. with the production people, and scenes added.      So I think the only filming was a little to complete a few shows, and the redone originals with the added commentary, and footage added.    I bet Donovan's attorneys are loving the footage, and remarks that were aired, and the judge will get a lot of film to watch too. 

3 hours ago, Broderbits said:

How toxic does this show have to get before HGTV considers dumping it?

I would imagine it has been dumped.  Besides, her show doesn't follow their new formula (mostly) of husband/wife rehab.  You know, where the wife is the smart, designer-y one, and the husband is the hands-on doofus-y one.

• Love 3

I watched one of these shows last night. Ty looks ancient and AV is just as bossy, know-it-all, look at me!! As she’s been on every other show she’s been on. I will not watch this show again. I laughed when I read that Donovan is suing her. As he should.

• Love 4

I wish they had stopped showing the Windy City reruns, but it's on Thursday afternoon, the 21st.    It's not must see TV for me, but must avoid TV.    It will be interesting to see if they actually run the episodes as scheduled tomorrow. 

With the releases and contracts the production company, and 'stars' sign, I bet HGTV will keep airing these forever.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama

How on earth does HGTV or Scripps or whomever owns this show and is accountable for it, make the decision to continue it?  

I guess it must be a moneymaker, which is the biggest mystery of all.  AV is pretty much unwatchable for me.  As much watch time as I give to these rehab shows, I am tiring of them, rapidly.  SSDD

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

How on earth does HGTV or Scripps or whomever owns this show and is accountable for it, make the decision to continue it?  

Discover bought Scripps in 2017 for a cash and stock deal valued at $11.9 billion.

Watched the Rock The Block season 2 preview and they have all new designers/teams except for the return of AV. Geez, HGTV, who does she have nekkid pictures of? Quit trying to make fetch happen (though maybe since she is everyone's least favorite designer she brings the needed "drahmah" that David Bromstad or Tiffany Brooks just can't generate).

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
On 10/6/2020 at 11:52 AM, ChicksDigScars said:

I noticed that she staged one of the houses (Berenice?) with an awful lot of nekkid butt artwork. I commented on it as I was watching the episode. Interesting that her own home has them, as well. Seems to be an obsession with her. Snort. 

Yeah, that dining room lamp. WTF?

Out of all HGTV flippers, her taste is the most outrageous. Las Vegas is probably the right place for her. The flip shows out there have been more nutzo. There was a husband and wife flipping show from Vegas....no, not douchebag Scott from Flipping Vegas. Another couple. She was one of the cookie cutter blond designers that all look alike. Her designs were gaudy as hell. Alison will give her a run for her money. 

the vegas flipping couple   MMA fighter  bristol marunde   and his wife real estare agent and designer aubrey    (not to be confused with the other las vegas flipper couple scott yancy and his wife   amie     from "flipping vegas which stopped filming 6 years ago ) 

On 10/6/2020 at 11:52 AM, ChicksDigScars said:

I noticed that she staged one of the houses (Berenice?) with an awful lot of nekkid butt artwork. I commented on it as I was watching the episode. Interesting that her own home has them, as well. Seems to be an obsession with her. Snort. 

Yeah, that dining room lamp. WTF?

Out of all HGTV flippers, her taste is the most outrageous. Las Vegas is probably the right place for her. The flip shows out there have been more nutzo. There was a husband and wife flipping show from Vegas....no, not douchebag Scott from Flipping Vegas. Another couple. She was one of the cookie cutter blond designers that all look alike. Her designs were gaudy as hell. Alison will give her a run for her money. 

the vegas flipping couple   MMA fighter  bristol marunde   and his wife real estare agent and designer aubrey    (not to be confused with the other las vegas flipper couple scott yancy and his wife   amie     from "flipping vegas which stopped filming 6 years ago ) 

oh to be a fly on the wall with her being partnered with  mike "do it right" holmes  on rock the block I like him I watch his old show and they fixed so  many bad repairs unfinished repairs.......he will make sure things are done right,,,  will this annoy  her no end??

10 hours ago, sue450 said:

he will make sure things are done right,,,  will this annoy  her no end??

Nope. He's following the party line that HGTV dictates. He only overrode one dumb decision she had (painting some brick) -- the rest, he lets her decide and he just rolls along being there to supposedly make her more tolerable (it's not working, lol).

• Love 2

No surprise, more lawsuits...from lenders who say they were never paid. Donovan's lawyer claims he settled his portion, and should not be a party in this lawsuit.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-biz-windy-city-rehab-lawsuit-court-hearings-20210709-zvrpaty65ndathmsgwqlhmqdxi-story.html?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Breaking%3A News %2B Business&utm_content=5031625869413#nws=true

Also: 

"Eckhardt has also filed a $2.2 million suit accusing HGTV’s parent company and Big Table Media, which produces “Windy City Rehab,” of defamation, saying in part in the lawsuit that he experienced anxiety and depression after being falsely accused of misappropriating money and being subjected to social media attacks from fans of the show.

A judge on Friday dismissed the lawsuit, agreeing with HGTV’s parent company and Big Table Media that Cook County was not the proper venue for the lawsuit and upholding an agreement Eckhardt signed as part of his involvement in the show that jurisdiction would be in California. Eckhardt can re-file his suit there, Judge Patricia Sheahan wrote."

Yet HGTV keeps hiring her for shows!! Unreal.

• Useful 5
(edited)
On 2/22/2021 at 2:01 PM, SuprSuprElevated said:

I guess it must be a moneymaker, which is the biggest mystery of all.  AV is pretty much unwatchable for me.

I first tuned into WCR because Chicago has lots of interesting buildings in need of rehabs, but in 5 minutes it turned into hate watching two episodes of WCR to see if she was as hideous as in the first one I saw (yes). Now she seems to ruin several other HGTV shows unless I FFd or mute her in between watching the talented designers & makers.

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, KeithJ said:

Couple of interesting tables from ^the listing - 

Screenshot (655).png

Screenshot (656).png

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Love 1
(edited)

I've read that Donovan's defamation suit got tossed.       Not surprised about the house on Berenice losing money.   The two story condo finally sold, but well below what they put into it, and with at least a year of huge carrying costs, not just mortgage, insurance, and huge taxes, but big condo fees too.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 4
(edited)
9 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I really hate the dining room fixture in that house.    

Designers and manufacturers must never dust or clean anything.  Can you imagine trying to keep that clean?  Yet another example of designing for television/magazines, and not for real living.

• Love 3
(edited)
12 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

I hate all those gaudy gold fixtures in the kitchen and bathrooms.

Me too. They already look dated. They were popular in the 1980s for ~18 months and there is a reason they quickly went out of fashion.  Give me "timeless" kitchen and bathroom fixtures & fittings; I can only afford to update them (or move) every 40 years.

I've never been a bling lover, but if you are, make it one or two special pieces, like light fixtures or pillows that can easily be switched out when you tire of their gaudiness. Don't spread expensive bling throughout the house.

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 1
(edited)

The coated brass or gold is trendy, but I totally hate them. 

However, a friend bought a lovely home about 10 years ago, and it had the unvarnished brass/gold fixtures and hardware.    Everything tarnished, and looked hideous.    They had to replace every faucet, door and cabinet knobs and hardware, the shower enclosure, and everything else.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2
58 minutes ago, deirdra said:

I've never been a bling lover, but if you are, make it one or two special pieces, like light fixtures or pillows that can easily be switched out when you tire of their gaudiness. Don't spread expensive bling throughout the house.

Why? If "you are" a bling lover it's your house. I say spread it far and wide with pride. 

(edited)
On 7/25/2021 at 7:30 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I've read that Donovan's defamation suit got tossed.       Not surprised about the house on Berenice losing money.   The two story condo finally sold, but well below what they put into it, and with at least a year of huge carrying costs, not just mortgage, insurance, and huge taxes, but big condo fees too.  

It got tossed over jurisdiction. He's currently appealing but in my not a lawyer opinion the dismissal will be upheld.

He needs to file in California which is what the contract he signed requires.

https://deadline.com/2021/07/donovan-eckhardt-windy-city-rehab-defamation-suit-dismissed-1234674422/

Edited by quirkygal
added link
  • Useful 1

Ugh, somehow AV is associated with a new show, Ugliest House in America. Apparently the "winner" gets a makeover "worth" 150K by her. Question: Can one just take the money? Because other than being mocked for where and how I live, what could possibly be the attraction to enter?🤢🤑🤣

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, buttersister said:

Ugh, somehow AV is associated with a new show, Ugliest House in America. Apparently the "winner" gets a makeover "worth" 150K by her. Question: Can one just take the money? Because other than being mocked for where and how I live, what could possibly be the attraction to enter?🤢🤑🤣

Have you seen the first episode?!??  If not, check it out...and you'll have your answer 😲

13 hours ago, buttersister said:

Watching now, on the second house, full of homeowners mom's decor and they are goofing on it on national tv. Not nice. Also, I like the pink brick exterior.

• Love 3
(edited)

WCR Season 3 premiere's Thursday 21 April.    I'm skipping that. 

The only reason I ever watched was to see what houses she remodeled, and how little they sold for.  

I don't think any of the production companies, or networks care that someone is caught doing wrong, just if it brings publicity, and they continue filming.    

I don't know if her own house selling  was a profit, but several of the flip houses were losses.     The two story condo had to have been a loss, and some others couldn't have made a profit after carrying costs.     I can't stand to watch her paint flat black over some antique piece again.    Maybe the hideous bidding wars after the pandemic will make some of them profitable this time.   

I'm guessing that the producers and HGTV just go with people they think will draw viewers, and don't care about controversy.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2
(edited)
7 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

What!?  Wow.  That's a head scratcher.  So apparently, Discovery is attributing all blame/liability for the screwed up properties to her former partner.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

The only reason I ever watched was to see what houses she remodeled, and how little they sold for.  

Allison must have amazing lawyers and agents. That's all I can say...

• LOL 3
11 hours ago, CruiseDiva said:

HGTV seems determined to shove Alison in our faces. 

The same way the Food Network is shoving Molly Yeh down our throats. 

I saw the totally obnoxious promos. 🤢

• Love 1
9 hours ago, MsTree said:

There's always Discovery+ 😉

No thanks! There's more design talent on the British and Canadian shows I can watch for free or on the streaming platforms I already pay for.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, tessabq said:

My love for Chicago's neighborhoods is why I began watching WCR. Her total disregard for the style & integrity of the neighborhoods is why I stopped watching.

I started & stopped for exactly the same reasons.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, tessabq said:

My love for Chicago's neighborhoods is why I began watching WCR. Her total disregard for the style & integrity of the neighborhoods is why I stopped watching.

Same here. 

I'd love to see an actual Chicago renovation show where they appreciate the architecture and neighborhood, while still updating for life today.  But that takes care, time, creativity and money, which is the opposite of flipping shows.  Maybe something like "Restored" with Brett, the guy with the hat, where the homeowners are doing it for themselves, not flippers speculating.

• Love 2

They actually just ran an ad featuring her godforsaken black painting of the antique cabinet in which she waxes on about how brilliant a choice it was. You can't make me understand it. 

• LOL 1

I can  already predict the flips.    Huge, ugly brass and black range hood, bizarre light fixtures in the dining room, tiny living room staged with huge furniture, and something beautiful and vintage, painted flat black and ruining it.      Some of the goofs were funny though.    I wonder who will be the bad guy this season?   

• Love 3
10 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I can  already predict the flips.    Huge, ugly brass and black range hood, bizarre light fixtures in the dining room, tiny living room staged with huge furniture, and something beautiful and vintage, painted flat black and ruining it.      Some of the goofs were funny though.    I wonder who will be the bad guy this season?   

Don't forget "the largest island we've ever done!"

• LOL 5
15 hours ago, tljgator said:

They actually just ran an ad featuring her godforsaken black painting of the antique cabinet in which she waxes on about how brilliant a choice it was. You can't make me understand it. 

I remember yelling profanities at the TV when she did that.

• Love 5