Type keyword(s) to search

Season 3 Discussion

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

But, someone upthread mentioned that their library has the Season 1 DVDs, and I discovered that mine does too.  So I'm on the list, in case I don't catch all the summer episodes.

Check to see if they have season 2, as well. The libraries near me have it.

• Useful 1
27 minutes ago, MSterling said:

Check to see if they have season 2, as well. The libraries near me have it.

They didn't a couple weeks ago, but they do now - thanks for the reminder!  About a dozen people figured that out before I did, but at least I should have plenty of time to finish season 1.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Aulty said:

Well, here is confirmation that someone will not return for season 4. I know a lot of people here didn't like the character (and the actress) but I liked her story as a secondary plot. There might be the odd guest appearance though?

her plotline this last season was awful, imo.  

(edited)

I just started watching this home in the past couple of weeks.  In my opinion this show fucking sucks.  Every character has to show their "quirks" in every scene, and they constantly play idiotic caper music in the background to show how funny and quirky it is.  I seriously cannot watch for more than 5 minutes without yelling.

In tonight's episode, Maya was interrogated by a federal agent played by Jane Lynch.  None of the questions were straightforward, and everyone talked over each other.  No interrogation would be run like that. 

Also, I am an attorney in a government agency,  and I do not like the portrayal of government attorneys.  Jane Lynch played it like a clown.  At my job, we have a high standard of ethics and a professional demeanor is expected.

If my office was packed full of trash and clutter like Jane Lynch's, I would be disciplined by a superior.   Everything about her was played like a joke.  However, there is nothing funny, except to the producers of this show, about threatening people with jail time.  I do not remember "The Good Wife" being this flippant about criminal justice.

Between the smartass portrayal of deadly serious legal problems, the misplaced focus on being "quirky" for no reason, and the horrible soundtrack, I am having a hard time figuring out what is entertaining.  This show is crap in my opinion.

Edited by nittanycougar

I guess YMMV because I love this show and think it’s one of the best shows on TV right now.  That said, I a man growing tired of the re use of reoccurring characters from The good Wife. It’s getting annoying. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

Was there some significance to the crow crashing into the window during Maya's interrogation?  Was it some sort of inside joke?

I only watched parts of the episode, but did see the bits with Jane Lynch and the poor birds repeatedly crashing into the windows with enhanced sound effects and with her character's clients (the show's main snowflake-white characters) obviously cringing.
I kept thinking:
Ya know. If you put up paper silhouettes of birds, the live birds will stop crashing into the window.
--which I would follow up with thinking:
Of course a cynical, type-cast Jane Lynch character would know this; she doesn't take preventive measures because she uses the bird suicides to unnerve her clients.

I've been watching the first season since it's been airing on regular CBS and I like it. Now I'm wondering when the comment about Callista Gingrich becoming ambassador to the Vatican was added in Season 1, Episode 9: "Self Condemned."

This is a decent show to watch and most of the storylines are palatable except the one with Maya, her family and the ponzi scheme BS. I guess the actress isn't my favorite as her only facial expression is one of bewilderment where she always looks like the deer in the headlights.

• Love 1
On 7/19/2019 at 4:06 AM, Aulty said:

Well, here is confirmation that someone will not return for season 4. I know a lot of people here didn't like the character (and the actress) but I liked her story as a secondary plot. There might be the odd guest appearance though?

That’s unfortunate. It means the show will continue in the ridiculous self-important direction it’s taken. Don’t think I’ll be subscribing to next season. It’s too bad, because I was a loyal TGW and Christine Baranski fan.

On 7/29/2019 at 4:52 PM, Jeffurry said:

Now I'm wondering when the comment about Callista Gingrich becoming ambassador to the Vatican was added in Season 1, Episode 9: "Self Condemned."

I think it's a pretty recent addition, based on the comment that appeared on the S1 ender last night.  I never watched the original airings, so that's only a guess.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Dowel Jones said:

I think it's a pretty recent addition, based on the comment that appeared on the S1 ender last night.  I never watched the original airings, so that's only a guess.

Yes, someone must have gone through these episodes before airing them on CBS looking for opportunities to add updates that might be useful, or humorous.

29 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Yes, someone must have gone through these episodes before airing them on CBS looking for opportunities to add updates that might be useful, or humorous.

I've watched about half of season 1, including last night's airing of the finale, which included an update on the value of Bitcoin, which registered in my mind as "blah blah blah rich people's numbers."

Came to the forum to see if I was alone in my thoughts about this show, since CBS aired season 1 on regular access this summer. 

1. It was really difficult to watch Rose Leslie. She just was — mealy mouthed —in my opinion. I never really cared about that storyline.

2. Diane Lockhart. I love Christine Baranski, but I don’t always care for Diane. She’s never comes across as really being compassionate although I think you’re supposed to think she’s the good guy. Yet she’s just as fallible as all the people she looks down on. 

3. I know the Kings can write brilliantly, because I saw it in The Good Wife and Braindead, but I’m not seeing it here. 

4. Glad I didn’t pay for the streaming services, as the show doesn’t warrant it, in my opinion. 

• Love 1

I got hooked into getting All Access after seeing the first few episodes of Season One this summer on CBS/tv.  The first two seasons were so good -- but gosh, what a train wreck Season Three has been.  I went back to the opening of Season Three after seeing the end -- and it is exactly the same scene, word for word, same movements, outfits, etc.  What did that mean?  Was the season a flashback?  At least I finished this before my first month of All Access was finished -- it was worth the ten dollars to see the first two seasons without commercials.  But no more.  I'll pay for another month after the next season has fully aired.  

By the way, what happened to Maia's girlfriend?  I don't think we saw her at all in Season Three, and I don't recall any reference to her in dialogue.  And nothing of Maia's parents in Season Three, except that picture of her father.  Blum was just a horrifying character -- and I don't mean in the plot.  I just wanted to blot him out.    

• Love 3

I've enjoyed The Good Fight. All the seasons, no matter how off the rails it got (especially with Michael Sheen and whatever accent that was). I'll also miss the Maia character, but they did a good wrap of her plotline. 

• Love 4

I've started watching season 1 again 😀  Diane mentioned that Curt had slept with a student and that's why they are separated.  Did this happen in the last season of The Good Wife?  Are there anymore details than that? 

Thanks!

It was an on-going story point in the last few episodes of THE GOOD WIFE, coming to a head in the series finale where it's used to cast doubt on Kurt's testimony. That leads to Diane slapping Alicia near the end (really there to echo Alicia slapping Peter in the series premiere).  The affair comes up again in the second season of THE GOOD FIGHT.

• Love 1

Just finished watching S3 and man, this show is great! So well done, so timely. Great acting. At the end of the day Maia ends up going down the same corrupt path as Daddy Dearest, he'll be so proud of her...

I love how much Luca has grown since S2, really fine character development there. I felt sad when the last episode ended because now I have to wait til whenever to see he's characters again. I assume Diane and Kurt will be okay after the Swatting...man, that group has gone insane! 

• Love 1
On 8/21/2019 at 3:10 AM, freddi said:

By the way, what happened to Maia's girlfriend?  I don't think we saw her at all in Season Three, and I don't recall any reference to her in dialogue.  And nothing of Maia's parents in Season Three, except that picture of her father.  Blum was just a horrifying character -- and I don't mean in the plot.  I just wanted to blot him out.    

Honestly, I think once her family's money laundering storyline was wrapped, the writers had no idea what to do with Maia, and Season 3 was a reflection of that.  

• Love 1
23 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

Honestly, I think once her family's money laundering storyline was wrapped, the writers had no idea what to do with Maia, and Season 3 was a reflection of that.  

I feel like I have to blame either Rose Leslie's performance or her (un)willingness to continue on the show because really, there ought to have been a lot to work with. Didn't they drop some storyline where Maya cheated on her fiancee and was caught on tape? Couldn't Maya have clashed with Diane or supported her because of the Book Club? I never had a good sense of what Maya's character was. She seemed to make a lot of bad decisions and I never knew why. Was she frightened? Stupid? Unable to control her impulses?

Cush Jumbo is in a new British thriller Deadwater Fell. I just finished the 4 episodes and she was good, played a very warm but conflicted character, and looked very cute with a curly bob instead of her short hair on TGF.

• Love 1

I liked  Rose on Downton Abbey but agree she is really not suited for this show. She's such a downer. 

I love Marissa.  The show is way over the top but a pleasant diversion from watching politics. 

The obsession with Trump is getting tiresome.  

I only signed up to watch Picard and figured I better get something for my $. But the 2nd episode of Picard was so blah I may cancel anyway, unless it gets better. 

I'm close to finishing Season 2. Lots of weird things about it, but it's enjoyable enough I'll keep watching. They're painting Diane as somewhat of a flaky kook, which is unfortunate, it's hard to tell how much is due to her micro-dosing. And this Sully guy ... tell the kook to get lost and then stick with it. I think he's trouble and there's no real reason she should be interested in him.  Maia is always either acting like a subdued, not too bright, person or becoming a manic teenage girl type.  Low degree of professionalism. Thank God her parents are out of the picture - what a pair of absolutely hideous people. And the flashbacks of them being a loving family were painful to watch - so hard to believe and hokey. And her father as some sort of sex symbol, attracting gorgeous young women ... well, I guess money can do that for a person, but weird to watch. Still, the writing is good and the stories are and acting are good enough I like the series.

Edited by Pike Ludwell

Well, I was almost at the top of the queue at my library for the season 3 dvds, then, shutdown!  So I signed up for the free month of cbs all access ( promo code GIFT) and I’m going through s3. And now I realize season 4 is going to start during my free month. Are they going to finally rope me in to paying for it?  I blame Coronavirus!!

also, I really wish there were a way to break this forum up into season threads!  I’m afraid to check new posts because I don’t know if they’re about something I haven’t seen yet!

Edited by SoMuchTV
On 3/26/2020 at 10:26 PM, SoMuchTV said:

also, I really wish there were a way to break this forum up into season threads!  I’m afraid to check new posts because I don’t know if they’re about something I haven’t seen yet!

We're going to unvault the forum very soon, so we'll have separate topics for the upcoming season. I definitely prefer that, too!

EDIT: Done. This is now the season three discussion thread; you can find the separate season four episode threads in the forum each week.

• Love 2
(edited)
On 4/9/2020 at 3:34 PM, marinw said:

It looks like we Canadians can't see season 4 without subscribing to CBS all access.

Please tell me I'm wrong!

I'm extremely annoyed with the W Network in Canada right now.

They have been airing commercials of "The Good Fight"'s new season all over the place.

Then, no premiere aired on premiere day.  Pretty stupid.

They finally admitted, in only ONE tweet, and in ONE response to someone, that they didn't have the show yet.  They weren't about to admit this until a bunch of people tweeted them asking what the heck was going on, either.

Moderators --- if we subscribe to The Good Fight on this forum under our show follows, it keeps leading us to the "Season 3 discussion" topic instead of The Good Fight forum at large.

Screen Shot 2020-05-06 at 1.49.13 PM.png

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Useful 2
22 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

They finally admitted, in only ONE tweet, and in ONE response to someone, that they didn't have the show yet.

Thanks for this @Ms Blue Jay. This means we should get it at some point, unless it shows up on Amazon first, where you can find season 1-3.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Tyro49 said:

How????

Basically, when you're on your current bookmarked thread, you go to the top of the page and click on the blue "bookmark" icon and unfollow, then find the show (in the alphabetical list of shows on your homepage, that little row between your shows and "everything else") and refollow with your preferences.

• Love 1
(edited)

I watched the first two seasons of this show off and on. Since I'm not a usual subscriber to CBS All Access I wouldn't always remember when I was doing one of those free monthly trials and I enjoyed the show so much I didn't want to watch it all at one time. It sounds weird I know. Recently I started watching it more frequently starting with the last few episodes of season 2 which has lead me into season 3. The weird Trump stuff started at the end of season 2 and is going to continue I see from the preview shown at the end of the first episode this season along with what's gone on so far. 

I get email notifications of new posts so since season three had one thread I read posts about what happened more times then I usually would. I remember reading the complaints about how weird/annoying things were and wondered if it was as bad as what was being described. So far I'm realizing it's going to be just what was described which is really frustrating to watch. Michael Sheen's character is so 🤬....

Edited by Jaded

I'd love to read an outline of how this season was supposed to pan out, because as is it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Can't really blame the writers, though - I'm sure it was a mad dash to get the scripts and filming done before they had to shut down.

I did have to laugh at the credits for episode 5, though, where they put in a text block that said, "A sofa would have blown up here".

I really meant it when I said I was taking to watching this show slowly. I'm on another month free of CBS All Access or whatever it's going to be called eventually and am finishing up season three. I was peeved that they didn't even investigate how the controlled substance got into Maia's car like requesting camera footage if there was any in the parking garage or even mentioning it. I guess that situation didn't grow into a bigger deal because the actress playing Maia was leaving this season. The shit going on with the Blum character is seriously testing my fondness for the show as a whole. That whole mess that Diane and Liz have gotten themselves into is annoying too. Since you know who didn't get a second term here's to hoping the 5th season whenever it happens won't have as much time devoted to him and people around him.

The "shorts" during the episodes have annoyed me so much. I hope they don't continue into season four. 

Have only watched the first episode of S3, but man, I hate the extreme letterboxing. I skipped right to making this comment (didn't want to be spoiled), so I don't know if anybody else expressed a view on it upthread, but it does nothing for the show but make everything smaller. I hope S4 isn't like this.

On 4/23/2019 at 6:59 AM, vibeology said:

How was Maya framed? She only passed her drug test by cheating and she publicly destroyed company property. She kept those drugs for days rather than getting rid of them. Her firing was deserved. 

How could Maia have kept the drugs for days when the police met her at her car from the "anomyus" tip they received, before she even knew they had been put there? That was a most definite frame job by Blum as payback for crossing him by accepting a 6 month plea on their co defendant.

Itwas the one fentynal lolipop that she kept Blum had previously given her. Which btw, she foolishly tried over the weekend and was the characters first time ever experimenting with any drug use. That was her reason for cheating on her drug test, had she not, her one time act of foolishness that would have caused her to have a positive test result would have been perceived as a validation to the false charges against her that would ruin any chance of her having a future law career. Considering her families name and scandal legacy, her reasons for doing so are perhaps technically wrong, but highly understandable and a perfect example of exercising the spirit of the law instead of abiding by the letter of the law.

On 3/24/2019 at 10:35 AM, Marci said:

How totally awful!!!  Whether you’re a Trump hater, lover, or in-between, this show should horrify us all with its blatant political propaganda.  Why do so many shows, from sitcoms to dramas, insist on pushing a specific political agenda on us?  I hope this trend doesn’t last.  It seems to me shows like this are creating public policy issues rather than intelligently presenting them. Ugh!  

That lawyer guy was such an extreme disparaging portrayal of an old white guy.  Injecting himself with Botox, unapologetically saying it’s good to knock others down, sexually harassing women, lying in the courtroom to win his case, saying facts don’t matter.  Puh-lease. 

I think I’m out.

I totally disagree. I'm glad that a TV show took all of this on directly, rather than shying away from it. 

• Applause 1
  • Love 2

Episode 5 season 3, I’m with Jay.  
posts from the past, in this thread, thought the show had gone too far, when this sort of thing was actually happening, and still is.  So, I’m with Jay.  

Edited by Anela