Type keyword(s) to search

The Good Wife - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I binged-watched this on Netflix last year and really enjoyed the show until Will died. After that it all went to hell. I never cared for any of Peter’s storylines, except maybe in the first season (not an American, no idea what’s going on about the politics most of the time and I find it surprising that you can vote for judges and district attorneys). 

I think by the end of the series, Cary was my favourite. I’d only known the actor from Gilmore Girls and I loathed his character in there, so I was surprised how much I liked him here. 

The law firm politics in the early seasons? Pretty spot on. Changing a law firm’s name?  Requires a LOT of paperwork and costs a fortune. Also, whenever I see Will and Diane putting everyone in the freaking litigation department on ONE single case, I think, No wonder this stupid firm is always on the verge of bankruptcy. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I feel like Alicia was “the cool girl” described in the movie “gone girl” for most of the series.  And this series supposedly showing a strong, independent woman, came down to her choosing between two men: her husband, or Jason - or waiting for Jason to choose her. That was only because Will wasn’t alive.  Also, undercutting the husband of a partner and friend, and exposing an affair, and having the wife take it out on her, instead of the husband.  Anyone who has seen the good fight, knows how that ends.  

so, I didn’t enjoy her getting slapped around the face.  That should have been her husband, receiving that slap.  As much as I got tired of alicia, I’m just as tired of women being punished for the actions of a man.  

Edited by Anela

Bingeing this series. I have so many questions.

1) Why is everyone always trying to protect Alicia? She is supposed to be this independent woman but she is always being rescued by men.

2) Why would Alicia run for states attorney? The entire series she has emphasized how private she is and how she doesn't want to be in the limelight then she runs for office? She then proceeds to jump through hoops she is advised to jump through by her campaign managers without seeming to care much about skirting the truth. It seems like a huge deviation from the core character we have watched for 5 seasons.

3) Good wife? What about Good mother? These poor teenagers grew up in a broken home with an inattentive mother who, when she finally finished work, would often be seen in a bar meeting a colleague or in a hotel room with her lover? No wonder an entire teen pregnancy and abortion happened under her nose. No wonder Grace found God, she was probably desperately seeking guidance and someone she can depend on. I definitely don't shame working mothers but honestly, for someone constantly defending her family life, she hardly ever seems to be with her family. I mean let's be real, she almost missed her sons graduation from high school.

4) Why is she staying in this dead marriage? She is clearly an opportunist. She is staying because it benefits her and we are supposed to find this empowering?

5) Why is it a foregone conclusion that literally everyone wants to bang Kalinda. She is attractive sure but she is quite one note and let's be honest no woman is everyones type. It's a bit farfetched that with one look she makes tons of people, men and women go insane over her.

As you can probably tell, I am not a fan of Alicia. She is hardly an underdog as much as they tried to sell it the first 2 seasons. She gets handed things because either 1. Someone is secretly in love with her or 2. She is married to a powerful man. I knew what I was getting into watching this show. I have only continued to watch for Christine Baranski who is brilliant, classy and actually humble despite everything she has accomplished unlike Saint Alicia.

I'm basically only watching to get backstory for the Good Fight.