Type keyword(s) to search

The Great Food Truck Race - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Ugh, they got me.  I sniffled when Baby Mac lady came to help out the vegan.  I was still glad they lost. 

It does seem that the special ingredient challenge is a chance at a bonus, and not a requirement.  I assumed they were more like the dreaded twists in baking shows or the basket ingredients on Chopped.  Seems like they'd almost always be more trouble than they're worth and more trucks would say "thanks but no thanks".

The health inspection fine (like the insurance deductible) seemed totally made up. 

• Love 7

I guess it was just me, but when Baby got Mac woman went to help Sol woman for those 15 minutes, there were some tears forming in my eyes as I felt it was just so nice and human for her to help someone who was going through such a difficult time (two teammates leave on the same day...).  I thought it was sincere, especially as they had difficulties at various times throughout the competition.

• Love 11
On 6/19/2019 at 4:00 AM, cameron said:

Can't believe Tyler suggested the price hike on food.  Got to be a tv kind of moment.  Never have seen food trucks with those kind of prices unless they were selling lobster rolls. 

Where I live in the northwest we have some pricey food trucks that do more "elevated" cuisine but they still don't charge what you see on this show. Obviously people are paying these prices to be part of the TV show experience (though very few wind up on camera). That's one of the ways that this show does not represent the real food truck business. I've also never seen anyone running around screaming and carrying on to attract business, even at events where there are multiple food trucks. You scope out the different trucks, look at their menus and decide what you want to eat. All without anybody giving you the hard sell. (And definitely no hugging).

• Love 16
(edited)
On 6/23/2019 at 9:17 PM, suebee12 said:

But did NOLA help? Don't think so and they were the only group who didn't get in on the hugging when the Vegans left...wonder if there was bad blood?

Also wondered about the Health Inspector. Have they ever done that before?

Yup, no one from NOLA helped.  My sense is that they are taking this show more seriously than the other trucks. Their leader is a trained professional chef, who believes he should win over a bunch of wannabees. And he'll be pretty pissed if he doesn't.  So I don't think it's bad blood, I just think his attitude is that you don't help the competition.

I don't ever remember seeing a Health Inspector. Another wrinkle they've added this year, like the cost of the deductible after the accident.

Rolling Indulgence made a strategic decision not to do the challenge, because they were selling a lot already and didn't want to get sidetracked. They won the week, so that was smart.

When the Brunch Babes won the initial challenge, they got some kind of advantage to call a pit stop (or something). Did they ever use it? Not that I remember.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 4
6 minutes ago, bluepiano said:

When the Brunch Babes won the initial challenge, they got some kind of advantage to call a pit stop (or something). Did they ever use it? Not that I remember.

They used it right after all the other trucks opened for business.  They started selling while the rest of the teams got stuck playing corn hole.  That's what I remember anyway.

• Love 3
(edited)
40 minutes ago, mlp said:

They used it right after all the other trucks opened for business.  They started selling while the rest of the teams got stuck playing corn hole.  That's what I remember anyway.

Yeah and it was a lame advantage because they didn’t seem to be playing by traditional rules or scoring* and they didn’t have to wait turns they could just throw when they felt like it so it seemed like some of the teams finished before the Brunch team finished completing any orders.

*though to be fair I have only played when I have been at the optimum ratio of drunk to bored to find it interesting enough to play so I might be wrong.

Edited by biakbiak
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2

They actually show cornhole competitions on TV!  Like watching paint dry, but the announcers try to talk it up.

They have changed the competition by removing the search for places to park and sell.  That used to be the way one truck got ahead of the others.  They've also removed any social media connections - the other way one truck could draw in customers.

And that "health inspection" violation was total BS.  They just don't want the Nola truck to always be in the lead.

The blue haired person on the Mac and Cheese truck is truly weird.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, bluepiano said:

That's one of the ways that this show does not represent the real food truck business. I've also never seen anyone running around screaming and carrying on to attract business, even at events where there are multiple food trucks. You scope out the different trucks, look at their menus and decide what you want to eat. All without anybody giving you the hard sell. (And definitely no hugging).

Yeah, that has always bugged me a bit about this show. You don't choose a food truck based on which team is yelling at you most or making the biggest spectacle of themselves. In fact, those things (and the hugging) would keep me away from a truck.

2 hours ago, meep.meep said:

They have changed the competition by removing the search for places to park and sell.  That used to be the way one truck got ahead of the others.  They've also removed any social media connections - the other way one truck could draw in customers.

Removing the elements where the teams have to figure out how to market themselves through identifying good places to park and drumming up business on social media really has changed the show, I agree.

• Love 11
24 minutes ago, jcbrown said:

Removing the elements where the teams have to figure out how to market themselves through identifying good places to park and drumming up business on social media really has changed the show, I agree.

I always said that I wished they'd eliminate all the driving around partly because it seemed to be a waste of viewing time and partly because I never believed that the teams really just stumbled upon parking spaces with enough room for a huge truck and a chase car that hadn't been prearranged with the municipality.  But now that they've done it, the show does feel more static.  I'm not sure how they could work out some happy medium.  

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, mlp said:

I always said that I wished they'd eliminate all the driving around partly because it seemed to be a waste of viewing time and partly because I never believed that the teams really just stumbled upon parking spaces with enough room for a huge truck and a chase car that hadn't been prearranged with the municipality.  But now that they've done it, the show does feel more static.  I'm not sure how they could work out some happy medium.  

Exactly! Watching people look for parking spaces was never scintillating television. By removing that element, though, they took most of the marketing aspect out. I agree, I'm not sure how they could find a compromise (and not one that involves them dancing around and/or acting like fools to supposedly draw people in).

• Love 3

As noted above I think there is not really anything the show can do about feeding them locations because of how the reality of Food Trucks have changed since the show began and municipal rules and regulations have finally caught up with food trucks in general.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Regarding the food inspector storyline, nobody has mentioned that a big red flag is the fact that the alleged inspector gave the ticket/fine paper to Tyler, not the violator. Kind of like giving a traffic ticket to your boss at the office instead of the driver. Doesn’t ring true at all.

Put me in the group who is glad they no longer waste time with the phony charade of seeking prime parking spots, it always wasted time and came across as scripted.

Wonder if the vegan who quit was still in town, and could have helped when her fellow vegan passed the dreaded kidney stone. Which begs the question, was the stone vegan?

A little late, but the Peoples Fry, who purported to sell the worldsgreatest fries, used frozen supermarket fries. Are they really that out of touch to think that would work, especially when you had another truck actually making fries from scratch?

I believe the whole storyline with the vegans being $1 below NOLA was total BS, scripted to make it seem like there was an actual competition. 

• Love 8

I always side eye Food Network competition shows but I think food inspection was probably legit.  A lot of towns have strict rules for food trucks and TV show or not, they're not going to let a lot of strangers roll into town and do what they want.  As for giving the citation to Tyler, I imagine all the trucks are registered to Food Network making them the operator of record.   The contestants are basically employees running FN trucks.  If this had been the early days when contestants with established businesses were driving their own trucks that would be different.  The only questionable to me is the amount. FN could make it whatever they want.  Same as the deductible.  I'm sure their insurance has one and I think it's a fair penalty because it's what you'd pay in real life, but the amount the use for the show can be completely arbitrary. 

• Love 6
(edited)
On 6/25/2019 at 5:57 PM, MajorWoody said:

A little late, but the Peoples Fry, who purported to sell the worldsgreatest fries, used frozen supermarket fries. Are they really that out of touch to think that would work, especially when you had another truck actually making fries from scratch? 

I meant to comment on this too. One of my biggest pet peeves is eating at a restaurant, or even a bar that prides themselves on their food, and being served frozen French fries. Especially at the prices some of these places charge. When I eat a place that charges $12 - $15 for a burger and fries and get served frozen fries from Sysco, they immediately go on my list of places to never visit again. 

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 4

Deductibles for accidents are not new,  I remember several seasons ago one truck knocked down a pole and were charged deductible - and I think it was more than what this truck was charged, $500 instead of $250 because $250 struck me as super low (maybe because my deductible on my car is $1000).  And I absolutely think they should be dinged for their stupidity - like getting into accidents or neglecting food safety.  THat's what would happen in the real world.

• Love 4

I am sooooooo hungry! I love Cuban sandwiches! We had a Cuban family who ran a deli in the store where I worked ...fresh, roasted pork everyday! Boy, did it smell good and tasted even better. I lived in Sarasota which is about 50 miles from Tampa and the bread that the guys used was baked in Ybor City, home of the original Cuban. The bread was to die for!!!!! Was a bit surprised that while Busch Gardens was mentioned, they didn't do that well in that area(and that is where the Busch brewery is). I really would have liked to taste most of those sandwiches(no mac and cheese for me 'cause I am the weirdo who is not crazy for it!) Just think if it had been football season....Oh, the guys who added salami to their sandwich actually made a Havana sandwich.

Not sad to see the Mac guys leave....they just left me cold. One thing, I don't think anyone has mentioned is how much the girl from the Brunch Bunch looks like Jenny Garth...almost a double. Can't wait to see what Ft Myers has to offer.

• Love 3

So far Tyler has been listening to me and eliminating the ones I want to see go every week.  🙂  I will not miss that woman with the awful orange hair with plastic thingies stuck in it.  NOLA can go next.  I like everyone else but my favorites are the guys from Idaho and the Brunch Babes.  

I wonder if Tyler's friend the sheriff somehow got them permission to park wherever for the day because it looked like some of the trucks were having legitimate trouble finding sites.  A sheriff would be county not city but maybe he pulled some strings.  

The seatbelt issue continues to bug me.  Twice in this episode, they showed a driver with no seatbelt on, panned to the person in the passenger seat and then back to the driver who miraculously had a belt on.  Editors should catch that stuff.

• Love 1

They picked up the pace a little with making the teams find their own parking spaces and giving a reward like letting the winning team raid a competitor's till for $100.

Still - $20 for a Cuban from a truck?  Especially a truck that looks like it hasn't been power washed in about 3 years.

Shoot - we paid $18 for a lobster roll at Cousins Maine Lobster Food Truck in Napa, and they flew their seafood in daily from the northeast.

These shows.  I'm gonna have to go back to Pong.

• Love 4
(edited)

Finally they got to find their own spots and drum up their own business, that was good to see. 

I agree that $20 is too much for a sandwich from a food truck and I wouldn't personally pay it.  But if people were willing to pay it - all the power to them, the competition is all about the money.  In the real world they would definitely lose some business at this price - but if they are smart, they will find the sweet spot on the curve where you maximize both price and volume to get the most profit (sometimes doing higher volume at lower price may not be worth it, depends on the cost structure). 

I like all the remaining trucks and I wish them the best. 

Edited by Hellga
  • Love 3
46 minutes ago, Maya said:

Ok I give up - what are those blue fluffy collars on the Rolling Indulgence team supposed to be? 

They're plastic leis and they must be hella uncomfortable.

• Love 7
(edited)
2 hours ago, GeorgiaRai said:

Awww.  I thought the Mac team was quirky, but sweet - and most of their food has sounded really good to me (hominy & cheese? Yes, please!)  I didn't want them to go yet. 

All the teams seem to be composed of nice people.  Usually there are at least a couple of trucks each year that annoy me with an arrogant or entitled attitude, but none this year. Well, the vegans were slightly annoying with their hugging, but in a harmless way.

And all the trucks seem to be putting out good food. Without all the contrived drama of trying to find parking spaces I think there's been more time to focus on the food.

$20 does seem crazy for a sandwich from a food truck, even if it has premium ingredients. True, charging twice as much meant they could sell less, but in the real world I don't think that tactic would work. I think that when you get to around $12 or $13 people feel like they may as well go to a sit down restaurant. 

I believe this is the second episode in which a main ingredient (the pork) was supplied to them already cooked. (Previously it was barbecue). I don't remember that happening in previous seasons. I know that they have to incorporate that ingredient in a creative way, but it seems strange to me that they don't have to cook from scratch.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 2

I think the reason that Frank n slide could get away with charging $20 for a sandwich was due to the family being there and probably willing to lay down some cash to help them out.

I really started like the Mac and Cheese people last week and was sorry to see them eliminated.  Nice people, I hope they are able to finish outfitting their truck and are able to make a go of it in California.

The food looks good to me this season (there has been questionable food, in my opinion, in previous seasons).  Quite a few of the contestants have a cooking background so it's not all newbees which makes it much more interesting to me.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, bluepiano said:

I believe this is the second episode in which a main ingredient (the pork) was supplied to them already cooked. (Previously it was barbecue). I don't remember that happening in previous seasons. I know that they have to incorporate that ingredient in a creative way, but it seems strange to me that they don't have to cook from scratch.

We also have barely seen them shop this season. 

• Love 3
(edited)
14 minutes ago, Hellga said:

Can't say I miss that.  

I do because it would always gave a better idea about their menu and how they thought in addition to what shortcuts they were taking and the quality of the ingredients. Now they barely touch on what they are making.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 7

One of the teams last night said they were using leftover bacon grease.  Pretty sure that was their first competition in that town.  So no food inspector violation for keeping leftover food?  (Or is food inspection more randomly conducted?)

Also, did anyone else notice that at least a couple of teams had grouper on their boards in the competition prior to when grouper was introduced?  Common ingredient in Florida or bad editing (or both)?

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Speaking of grouper... I visited the Florida Aquarium in Tampa with a friend who is a marine biologist, and when we spotted a big grouper, she told me all about where that fish lives, what it eats - and the best ways to cook it. 🙂  I have never been a fan of grouper, though. 

4 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I do because it would always gave a better idea about their menu and how they thought in addition to what shortcuts they were taking and the quality of the ingredients. Now they barely touch on what they are making.

Good point.  Though I feel like most of the shopping time on the show was devoted to people squabbling over what to get, or being unable to find something, or trying to figure out if they are staying within budget.  This I definitely do not miss.  I do wish they had more focus on food and less on drama.

• Love 2
On 7/1/2019 at 2:56 PM, bluepiano said:

$20 does seem crazy for a sandwich from a food truck, even if it has premium ingredients. True, charging twice as much meant they could sell less, but in the real world I don't think that tactic would work. I think that when you get to around $12 or $13 people feel like they may as well go to a sit down restaurant. 

Ideally, you would want orders to be $12-13 per ticket (total), to hopefully generate $2-3 tips.

• Useful 1

Personally, I prefer sandwiches or wraps or kebobs from food trucks and not bowls of food.  I think of Mac & Cheese as a comfort food you sit on the couch and eat while binge-watching some mindless series.  With that said, as nice and quirky as they were, I won't miss the Mac & Cheese people.  

The Nola team is starting to irritate me as they seem like they are the least cooperative trio.

It was touching that the Frank & Slide guy got to see his family, but it almost seemed a bit unfair that they were able to get those extra big sales due to that.  

Since I live near the Tampa area, I was rather confused as to why they were struggling to find good areas to park with tons of people, but then after hearing various comments, I have a feeling they were restricted to Tampa and Ybor City exclusively.  Also, it's still hard to tell when this was filmed.

• Love 2

I feel kind of bad for Madea. One minute they thought they were close to immunity, the next they were getting bounced. 

I liked Joe Jr. He was tough, but is felt like he offered descriptive criticism.

I actually prefer it when the competing trucks operate together in a spot designated by the show. I don't know why, but out of all the contrived aspects of this particular "reality" show, the whole "Let's just call up this business and ask them if we can set up there." really annoys me.

I checked Millennial Brewing, where one of the teams set up, and they have relationships with a number of trucks. So I don't see some outsider just pulling up. (It's too bad Sol didn't make ti this far, because Millennial vegan friendly.)

• Love 2
On 7/1/2019 at 12:04 PM, ninjakid said:

They're plastic leis and they must be hella uncomfortable.

I still don’t get it. They’re so tight around their necks, how do they even get them over their heads? 😂

I’m not spoiled in the least, but knowing they film all the talking heads after the season’s over, is it not obvious the Nola team doesn’t win? They always look like someone just died. 

• Love 3
(edited)
13 hours ago, Maya said:

I still don’t get it. They’re so tight around their necks, how do they even get them over their heads😂

I’m not spoiled in the least, but knowing they film all the talking heads after the season’s over, is it not obvious the Nola team doesn’t win? They always look like someone just died. 

I thought they had the leis pushed back to keep them out of the food. Begs the question, why wear them in the first place.

Sorry Madea Made got booted. I liked them.

Edited by LittleIggy
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Maya said:

The woman and the thinner of the men in particular always look so dour. It’s why I haven’t warmed up to them and hope they don’t win, though they’re probably still the favorites.

There’s no better test of someone’s cooking abilities than... who can pick up a gator the fastest?

• LOL 5
  • Love 6

I liked the Madea team and was sorry to see them leave.  I don't like the NOLA crew, any of them, so I was dismayed when they got immunity although they sold enough to be safe anyway so, in the end, it didn't matter.  I'm still pulling for the guys from Idaho and the Brunch Babes.

I wonder how much "prep" the producers had to do before they shot the bit with the baby alligators.  I'll bet most of the contestants weren't exactly thrilled to do that.  I also wonder who removes the black bands they had around their snouts.  That must be a dicey undertaking.

• Love 5
29 minutes ago, mlp said:

I wonder how much "prep" the producers had to do before they shot the bit with the baby alligators.  I'll bet most of the contestants weren't exactly thrilled to do that.  I also wonder who removes the black bands they had around their snouts.  That must be a dicey undertaking.

Yeah, I just don't see how wrestling the gators had anything to do with food preparation/taste/sales. That was the stupidest contest yet. 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Gramto6 said:

Yeah, I just don't see how wrestling the gators had anything to do with food preparation/taste/sales. That was the stupidest contest yet. 

I seriously hate when shows through in some stupid challenge that has nothing to do with the premise of the show. What was the point of the alligators? What do they have to do with food trucks?

• Love 5
(edited)
3 hours ago, dmeets said:

The woman and the thinner of the men in particular always look so dour. It’s why I haven’t warmed up to them and hope they don’t win, though they’re probably still the favorites.

There’s no better test of someone’s cooking abilities than... who can pick up a gator the fastest?

Did any of them understand what the word "risk" means?

The young guy from Nola Creations always looked as though he would rather have been anywhere other than on The Great Food Truck Race (plus he was a "rocker", which I hate).  I wonder if he was dragged into it, or if he just has the male equivalent of resting bitch face?

Glad I don't have to see those hideous aprons with the bows and ruffles again.

The winner said she was glad they had "busted the bubble" by finally winning.  Even if she had used the correct phrase (burst the bubble), it would still have been incorrect.

Sigh.

Edited by Brookside
  • Love 3

I, too, was sorry to see Madea Made go, but they seemed like they really didn't understand the food truck business in that they didn't always seem to know when to leave a spot to find another one, etc.  

I really don't like it when people over handle animals for entertainment purposes.  Not only did the alligators have their mouths taped close (which does prevent them from being able to bite), but then they were really handled poorly while being carried to a different location.  Leave them alone (and leave them their dignity!).  

• Love 15
21 minutes ago, seacliffsal said:

I, too, was sorry to see Madea Made go, but they seemed like they really didn't understand the food truck business in that they didn't always seem to know when to leave a spot to find another one, etc.  

I really don't like it when people over handle animals for entertainment purposes.  Not only did the alligators have their mouths taped close (which does prevent them from being able to bite), but then they were really handled poorly while being carried to a different location.  Leave them alone (and leave them their dignity!).  

Completely agree! Looking at the website of the gator farm, they do A LOT of the over handling for entertainment purposes. It saddens me that Food Network promotes such a place, especially as a gimmick just to tie-in alligator meat. I'm a meat eater, and while I don't follow through on this as much as I should with my purchasing habits, I think it's important to treat animals, including food animals, ethically. 

At first, I was bothered by the lack of creativity/risk in menus for the "risky challenge," but then I realized they probably factored in that they have to sell sell sell too. Madea Made almost won the risky challenge, but went home because they didn't make enough money (and I wonder if their ingredients ended up being too costly for how much they sold in the end). A chef might think your risky burger is amazing, but if a bunch of customers aren't willing to take that leap with you, you're more likely to be out.

• Love 4
20 hours ago, Brookside said:

Did any of them understand what the word "risk" means?

Considering the winning criteria seemed to be “burger dripping with meat juice” the risk could have been for E. coli...

• LOL 9
  • Love 2

I hated to see Madea Made go as they were the only team left that I actually liked.  The main Nola Creations guy is so smug.  The girl on the flower lei team needs to get her hair up while preparing food.  I wonder how many stray hairs are found in their food.  Also, the shorter guy on that team seems to have not have an "off" button.  He never stops talking.

I live near Sarasota and while I've never been there, I've heard Joe Jr's restaurant is pretty good.  I prefer when the customers judge the food however.  

I have a sinking feeling that Frank n' slides are the winners.  I can't say way exactly, just a gut feeling.  

(edited)

I just caught up with the latest episode.  

I would have so volunteered for the gator moving challenge!  I am not particularly strong or fast, but I do adore gators.  And had I lost, I would have  been perfectly content to sit with the cute baby gators for an hour.   

Not surprised NOLA won the genuine cooking challenge, they do seem like they know what they are doing in the kitchen. 

I am surprised that Brunch Babes won by this large a margin.  But I like them, and I like breakfast/branch foods, so why not.  

Sorry to see Madea Made go, they seem like really nice people.  Good luck to them in their future endeavors. 

Edited by Hellga
  • Love 3
On 6/24/2019 at 3:40 PM, spiderpig said:

This show hs gone completely off the rails for me. It just screams CHEAP! CHEAP!   CHEAP!  Food Network has descended from an entertaining diversion into the Gong Show of cable broadcasting.

I watch to see who will be kicked off next, and that's because The Walking Dead and Game of Thrones are over.

This is my first season watching, mostly because of the big gaping hole left in the schedule with the absence of "Food Network Star".  As someone that's just walked into the room, I'm completely underwhelmed.  I actually thought this was a better show.  Maybe it used to be, that's the impression I'm getting after reading this thread.  How it stays on the air when FNS is no more is beyond me.  No offense to anyone that's attached to it, though.  I understand watching a show because you've always watched a show no matter how bad it gets.  Like FNS, LOL.

I just think the entire premise is lame.  This is not really a race since the locations are all pre-arranged, plus most of the food looks even worse than bad greasy spoon.  No real creativity either.  The stuff is mostly same old-same old stuff where they just slap different toppings on it and act like it's an innovation.  Even the challenges they're given are lame.  I thought this was going to be a battle between really creative, trendy gourmets, not just average food made by average folks, some of whom are not even really cooks let alone chefs.

That said, the people do seem nice, so I'm in for the rest of the season just because of that and the fact that I'm a closure freak.  Otherwise I really don't care.  And that's bad when it's so mind-numbing that I don't even care who wins.

Mall Santa Claus indeed.  All three of those guys need a fashion intervention STAT.  I can barely stand looking at them.  I think Madea Made was robbed.

• Love 5