Type keyword(s) to search

The Great Food Truck Race - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I can't ever watch this show again (no great loss going by just this season. I used to like it). I think even if I hadn't had frostbite once (lucky enough that I kept my toes), I would be out, but since I remember how agonizingly painful it was, it makes me sick to think of giving this show any support by watching again. I am beyond disgusted.  

• Love 9

This season was such a bad idea.  I can't believe Tyler was bitching to the contestants that they're food was cold.  They're working and serving food in what is basically a large deep freeze, you'd think they would cut them some slack.  I'm amazed they're functioning as well as they are in those conditions.   It's too bad they have to serve their food in those little paper trays, it would be good if they could serve it in something with a lid that could hold in the heat. 

• Love 20

Usually I find this show to be entertaining.  This season, not so much.  I made negative comments about earlier "competitions" during this season, but the fact that one of the participants had visible and verifiable frostbite is just too much.  Then, the medic showed her the parts of his own ear that he lost to frostbite as if it were no big deal was just beyond belief.  The producers should make sure that each and every team wins a cash prize because there's just no excuse for the hardships they have had to experience.  I wonder if the first eliminated realize how lucky they are.

Yes the food is cold-get a clue the one team's vegetables and milk were frozen just from being in the trucks.  Yes the food is overpriced as the teams are trying to win through earning the most money.  I maybe agree with the one comment Tyler read that the portions were too small for the price, but that's also a result from how the winners are chosen in the competition (most money).  At least the other places they went had enough population to support the competition, this last stop was just painful.  I get that they wanted a stop between Anchorage and Fairbanks, but this was not well thought out.

I am glad that there is only one episode left as I probably wouldn't stay for many more episodes.  I hope they rethink the show before the next season.  Otherwise, I will sadly be out.

Oh-I need one positive comment-the scenery is just amazing!

• Love 8
2 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

Usually I find this show to be entertaining.  This season, not so much.  I made negative comments about earlier "competitions" during this season, but the fact that one of the participants had visible and verifiable frostbite is just too much.  Then, the medic showed her the parts of his own ear that he lost to frostbite as if it were no big deal was just beyond belief.  The producers should make sure that each and every team wins a cash prize because there's just no excuse for the hardships they have had to experience.  I wonder if the first eliminated realize how lucky they are.

Yes the food is cold-get a clue the one team's vegetables and milk were frozen just from being in the trucks.  Yes the food is overpriced as the teams are trying to win through earning the most money.  I maybe agree with the one comment Tyler read that the portions were too small for the price, but that's also a result from how the winners are chosen in the competition (most money).  At least the other places they went had enough population to support the competition, this last stop was just painful.  I get that they wanted a stop between Anchorage and Fairbanks, but this was not well thought out.

I am glad that there is only one episode left as I probably wouldn't stay for many more episodes.  I hope they rethink the show before the next season.  Otherwise, I will sadly be out.

Oh-I need one positive comment-the scenery is just amazing!

Interesting in previous Tyler encouraged the teams to up their prices in order to win.  Said it was a smart strategy.  Guess he doesn't want to remember that.  I'll be glad when this Alaska is over.  Usually, really like the show.  This one not so much.

• Love 11

The whole thing with Tyler scolding the contestants over online reviews was just ridiculous. Every place on earth gets some bad reviews and they are working with second rate trucks in the freezing cold with the need to charge top prices. It also seemed useless to ask people to fill out comment cards in front of the trucks, most people are not going to complain in person. I felt bad for the woman who had frostbite and the show should have taken her to the hospital to be treated with the promise she could return. On top of that, it is obvious that some of these towns have very few residents and only a couple of businesses which probably rely on those residents  to buy from them. The scenery is lovely but it's not supposed to be about the scenery. 

• Love 12

The scenery does play a role in my enjoyment. The season where they shuttled between LA strip malls was super boring. But I still remember places like the rock cliff in Albuquerque and the lighthouse in Maine.

That's one of the reasons I really wish they filmed this season in the summer. It's gorgeous (the backdrop for the winner reveal was spectacular), but the weather played too much of a role, and in some cases was flat out dangerous to the contestants. For that chaga challenge, I actually hope the producers were lying to us. Because having inexperienced people running around in temperatures that cold for a half an hour is insane.

One of Tyler's strength's as a host is that he comes across as an affable person. This episode he was just an annoying scold. Who stuck a stick up his butt?

The teams looked so miserable at the end of day two. I felt bad for them.

I also think the producers screwed the teams over choosing a town that small. Did I get the math right? Tasty Balls advanced because they got a $500 bonus that almost equaled their sales?

• Love 13
(edited)
On 4/5/2021 at 8:36 AM, Emkat said:

Why is the food so expensive? $14-18 for like a cup of food in a cardboard tray is crazy.

It‘s probably due to a number of factors.  First and foremost, it’s a competition about making money, which incentivizes high ticket prices. However, the food costs for this show are probably relatively high compared to actual food prep operations - these teams are buying ingredients at grocery store prices (not even wholesale like a Costco or Sams Club), then having to make a profit on top of that.  A normal food truck would probably be able to spread out costs more than someone who’s only in business for a weekend.

As for why people would pay that much, it’s likely due to the novelty.  Getting to try food from these trucks (and maybe be on the show) is a one time thing.  Otherwise, I believe I’ve mentioned this in past seasons- but overall food trucks aren’t necessarily designed to be cheap.  They are generally supposed to provide convenient food options for people who don’t have the time or ability to go to a normal restaurant.  Basically, if you’re an urban office worker, you might be willing to pay more for lunch at the food truck outside your building, rather than figure out a way to make it to the Subway two blocks away on your lunch break.  Obviously there are no high rises in Talkeetna, Alaska - but there really shouldn’t be food trucks there either.

Edited by Chyromaniac
  • Love 5
On 4/3/2021 at 1:38 AM, emmawoodhouse said:

I wonder whether the contestants know where and when they're going when they apply to be on the show? 

I know when we applied to be on the show and they contacted us with the filming dates (which ended up not working for us because my daughter was starting college and we couldn't defer her for this) they did tell us where we would be competing. 

On 4/5/2021 at 12:37 PM, SevenCostanza said:

This season was such a bad idea.  I can't believe Tyler was bitching to the contestants that they're food was cold.  They're working and serving food in what is basically a large deep freeze, you'd think they would cut them some slack.  I'm amazed they're functioning as well as they are in those conditions.   It's too bad they have to serve their food in those little paper trays, it would be good if they could serve it in something with a lid that could hold in the heat. 

21 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

The whole thing with Tyler scolding the contestants over online reviews was just ridiculous. Every place on earth gets some bad reviews and they are working with second rate trucks in the freezing cold with the need to charge top prices. It also seemed useless to ask people to fill out comment cards in front of the trucks, most people are not going to complain in person. I felt bad for the woman who had frostbite and the show should have taken her to the hospital to be treated with the promise she could return. On top of that, it is obvious that some of these towns have very few residents and only a couple of businesses which probably rely on those residents  to buy from them. The scenery is lovely but it's not supposed to be about the scenery. 

13 hours ago, Chyromaniac said:

It‘s probably due to a number of factors.  First and foremost, it’s a competition about making money, which incentivizes high ticket prices. However, the food costs for this show are probably relatively high compared to actual food prep operations - these teams are buying ingredients at grocery store prices (not even wholesale like a Costco or Sams Club), then having to make a profit on top of that.  A normal food truck would probably be able to spread out costs more than someone who’s only in business for a weekend.

As for why people would pay that much, it’s likely due to the novelty.  Getting to try food from these trucks (and maybe be on the show) is a one time thing.  Otherwise, I believe I’ve mentioned this in past seasons- but overall food trucks aren’t necessarily designed to be cheap.  They are generally supposed to provide convenient food options for people who don’t have the time or ability to go to a normal restaurant.  Basically, if you’re an urban office worker, you might be willing to pay more for lunch at the food truck outside your building, rather than figure out a way to make it to the Subway two blocks away on your lunch break.  Obviously there are no high rises in Talkeetna, Alaska - but there really shouldn’t be food trucks there either.

This season is awful.  The weather is dangerous and the tiny towns are not likely to get lots of customers.  I am really not enjoying this much at all. I think that all of the "your reviews were terrible" scolding was just bullshit and a set up for the "challenge".  Obviously the food is going to be cold and expensive based on all of the reasons quoted above.  

ETA: I asked my daughter and she said that we DIDN'T know where we were going.  Attached is the screenshot of the e-mail.  For some reason I thought we did know ahead of time. 

casting e-mail.jpg

• Useful 7
  • Love 5
50 minutes ago, Whimsy said:

I know when we applied to be on the show and they contacted us with the filming dates (which ended up not working for us because my daughter was starting college and we couldn't defer her for this) they did tell us where we would be competing. 

How interesting.  Are you still in the food business now? 

29 minutes ago, SevenCostanza said:

How interesting.  Are you still in the food business now? 

I actually am!  But, I'm actually a baker, not a savory chef lol and my daughter is a pastry chef at a high-end restaurant in Boston.  

• Love 8
5 hours ago, SevenCostanza said:

Nice. What kind of food truck were you going to have?

My husband is a firefighter so we were going to do “classic” firehouse recipes. 

I hope they learn from this season and never subject the viewers to watching the torture of the contestants again! 

• Love 13
21 hours ago, Chyromaniac said:

Food just costs more in Alaska.  Most of it has to be brought in from a long way away either by ship or by truck going through Canada.  The ingredients cost more than in the lower 49 (if frozen tater tots can be considered an ingredient).  People in Alaska are also used to paying more for their food.  Plus it's a novelty.

• Useful 3
  • Love 5
On 4/6/2021 at 10:14 PM, Chyromaniac said:

Have frequented food trucks in downtown Washington, DC and their prices were never this far out of line.  

• Love 2

This is the most miserable, joyless season of Food Truck Road Race ever. I feel sorry for all the contestants, and I can't even get invested in the petty drama or root against anyone because they all just constantly look they are having the worst time. I have always really liked Tyler as a host, but this episode? Repeatedly raking the contestants over the coals for run-of-the-mill bad online reviews over things (cold food and high prices) that are obviously going to be an issue in this particularly competition? Demanding the contestant appreciate how "lucky" they were to be in Alaska while one poor woman contemplates whether she is going to come out of this with both ears intact? I don't even know that I care who wins anymore. I just want it to be over.

• Love 18
On 4/8/2021 at 7:54 PM, Starry-Eyed said:

This is the most miserable, joyless season of Food Truck Road Race ever.

It is for sure.  I don't really blame Tyler for most of it though.  He probably didn't enjoy working outdoors in below zero temps any more than the contestants did.  Heck, he couldn't even put his hood up sensibly because it's his show and the cameras needed to see him.  I put a lot more blame on the PTB.  I would have been crabby too.  Anyway, I'm glad tonight is the last episode of this season.  

Food Truck Rehab sounds like a food truck version of Restaurant Impossible.  Robert Irvine isn't involved so I'll watch at least the first show.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, Ellee said:

Am I the only one that didn’t know that after the finale tonight there is a new show ‘Food Truck Rehab’?

Wonder if this is going to take the place of Tyler’s show since little to no effort was made here in Alaska.  

Here’s a video from FN. 

https://www.foodnetwork.com/shows/food-truck-rehab

48 minutes ago, mlp said:

Food Truck Rehab sounds like a food truck version of Restaurant Impossible.  Robert Irvine isn't involved so I'll watch at least the first show.

Restaurant Impossible was the first thing I thought of, so it's a no for me. It sounds like it does everything I really hate about RI, a show I stopped watching years ago.

• Love 3

I think I’ll try it at least once.  I really didn’t watch the race this year.   The cousins that are helping every one are supposed to be funny.  I guess we will see if it is RI or not.  Also read that they were on Shark Tank and have done really good for themselves and want to give back.  

Besides I’ve wasted an hour before. 😁

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Ellee said:

Am I the only one that didn’t know that after the finale tonight there is a new show ‘Food Truck Rehab’?

Wonder if this is going to take the place of Tyler’s show since little to no effort was made here in Alaska.  

Here’s a video from FN. 

https://www.foodnetwork.com/shows/food-truck-rehab

Looks like it was announced a couple days ago and isn't on the schedule for next week. Probably had a put pilot order and Discovery didn't want to pay the penalty for not showing it and not picking it up. No way we see this every again after tonight.

• Love 1
On 3/8/2021 at 5:17 PM, xaxat said:

Agreed. And it was really weird to see Tyler lecture them when I'm sure he knew they were not at fault. There's no way you can build up that amount of grease in a day.

I just watched the first episode tonight - I like to binge-record and watch all of the episodes in one sweep - and I noticed that post-elimination the mom said something about being grateful they were all going home safely. So, yeah, behind-the-scenes there were probably issues.

For the get-the-key-out-of-the-block-of-ice challenge, I wondered why none of the teams bypassed the time-consuming ice pick and just collectively picked up the ice chunk and tossed it on the ground. If nothing else it would have shattered in half and made the ice-picking easier. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, Ellee said:

Am I the only one that thought your post was a joke due to me needing a post-show 12-step progamme?? 😉 

• LOL 5
  • Love 2

Well, the truck I wanted to win, didn't, so the finale was pretty much like the rest of the season, I didn't like it. And I am done with this show.

• Love 5

What a lame season and the never ending stream of annoying challenges. Agree with all of you on the shoddy trucks and the ratio of price to food quantity. And the tots.

Much like Project Runway over time became all about petty feuds, this show is now all about truck malfunctions and stealing each others prime locations. They hardly bother with showing much of the cooking anymore or what actually goes into the dishes. The format limits what they can cook in the little time they have to prepare - and the shopping is usually done to a running commentary of:  the cheaper, the better. Its getting a bit boring.
Imagine tweaking the format a bit to allow more prep time for some slow roasting, smokey BBQ or properly pickled and fermented vegtables. Let them use a %age of their weekly profits to prepare for the next leg. They can still limit the time for the actual sales.

For me, this show should be about food and marketing. And not about wading through waist high snow drifts to look for planted treasure.

• Love 13

Someone should tell the local Alaskan judge that Tyler brought in last night that you don't eat a latke dish that has stuff piled on it with your bare hands.  That's why a fork was invented.  Gross.

• Love 1
On 3/31/2021 at 6:40 PM, NYGirl said:

I'm thinking they've used the same trucks since season 1..just washing and painting them in between series.  It's a strange season with no dominant all male teams.

I am amazed at the amount of people that have been coming out to the trucks.

Yeah, I wonder about producer manipulation.  It would be pretty easy to make some calls to encourage people to go to a location, to encourage a "local judge" to vote a certain way, design a challenge that favors one team, or any number of things to get the result the show wants. 

This show is not the same show it once was. They should go back to the original formula, and not try to incorporate elements of Survivor, Fear Factor, and Amazing  Race.  If this had been the first season,  the show would have been canceled. 

• Love 9

BFD was the best truck throughout the competition.  I don't believe for a minute that the screaming and squealing team beat them by $5.  Bah.

I watched the Rehab show.  It was less than believable and rather boring.  I didn't hate it but I won't watch it again.

• Love 11

They used to win a food truck+cash prize, but that went out the window.

So I can't believe I spent all these weeks watching these people trudge through the snow and freeze their ears blackish purple and pan for gold, ffs, and then the win comes down to some random bozo who might not know a damn thing about food except he prefers his moose meat well-done instead of medium rare.

(Which is WRONG.  One of the uber-judges on Tournament of Champions just said that lean protein like bison had to be rare or else it would turn into shoe leather.  So there.)

I'm glad it was too cold for Tyler to put his contacts in.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, SevenCostanza said:

Am I crazy or didn't they used to give the winner the truck as well as the money in past seasons?  I know now they just get the money but I could swear that in the first couple of seasons they got the truck too. 

My theory is that the food trucks are now part of Food Truck Rehab.   🙄

• LOL 6
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, mlp said:

BFD was the best truck throughout the competition.  I don't believe for a minute that the screaming and squealing team beat them by $5.  Bah.

Yeah, I am calling BS on the win too. How convenient Tyler couldn't open his ledger. I've been feeling a lot of producer manipulation this season with the random challenge wins and nonsense games, more so than ever before. I don't know how they are tracking this anymore, I feel like they used to basically just keep a running total from the very first stop, but now I'm thinking it's stop to stop. No way did BFD supposedly kick ass the whole way along and then the Tasty truck magically catch up within $5. Prize given to potentially stave off a frost bitten ear lawsuit? 

• Useful 2
  • Love 12

I told my daughter who was watching with me that you can always tell from FN editors — the team that says “I think we won this” or something to that effect, NEVER wins.  You can also tell from the flat talking heads of BFD vs the cheery, smiley TB that TB won.  I hate their name — won’t say it.  I’m sure they’re perfectly lovely women, but I thought BFD was the stronger truck in the competition with a stronger concept.

• Love 9
5 hours ago, mlp said:

If it makes a difference, they actually did outsell Tasty (by $95, apparently) - the only competitions they lost were due to extra cash from the challenges.  I’m not saying that’s right or wrong, but it is the nature of the show.  

2 hours ago, candall said:

One of the uber-judges on Tournament of Champions just said that lean protein like bison had to be rare or else it would turn into shoe leather

I’m not watching Tournament- but was this in reference to a solid cut of meat like a steak or roast?  If so, then yes- rare is preferable.  Tasty’s dish was “Salisbury Steaks,” which are made from ground meat- depending on how they put them together, they could very well have held up to higher cooking temps.

1 hour ago, Fostersmom said:

Yeah, I am calling BS on the win too. How convenient Tyler couldn't open his ledger

I think they just didn’t want to disclose how few sales either team actually made.

Overall, I’m relieved to have this season over.  I actually feel bad for nearly everyone involved.  Mostly the TV crew- this had to have been a ridiculous shoot.  For the truck teams, hopefully they can think of this all as a fun adventure- but it does seem like they were put into potentially dangerous circumstances, with the weather and equipment.  Finally, I also kind of feel sorry for Alaska- or at least whichever film or tourism board they worked with.  I’m sure they sold this as another travelogue, with the snowy peaks, soaring pines, and crystal blue bays.  And sure, we got some pretty scenery- but it also came with five weeks of slushy parking lots and dimly lit bar exteriors.  I don’t know that I’m done with this show (although I only caught this due to the dvr), but I really hope the next premise is more fun.  If they want a more enjoyable location where they can still ridiculously mark up the prices, why not haul the trucks over to Hawaii?

• Love 3

First of all, I have no sympathy for vegans/vegetarians who sign up for general cooking competition and then complain about having to cook/eat meat. You should have known ahead of time that you would be participating in a circus where someone else was making the rules.

I don't think the showed messed with the ledger. I'm not a lawyer, but I think that would run afoul of game show rigging laws. What I think could have happened is that they created conditions that would make the final totals closer. Making it more possible for Tasty Balls  to compete against the superior BFD. 

The  first challenge yielded a $400 bonus. Subjective assessment and I would not be surprised if Tyler "coached him up" to get the desired outcome of a TB win from the judge. The second challenge was based on sales (something BFD has been consistently the best at),but the reward is only $300. I think it's totally plausible that the producers were hoping for a split, giving TB a $100 lead before sales. The producers had enough team sales data to know that might (fingers crossed) give them a competitive race.

I once had an airline voucher for travel anywhere in the continental US. This season really makes me wish I would have just gone to Alaska on a whim. (I went to Vegas instead, which wasn't good value given the voucher.)

What an underwhelming season. See you guys next season.

(I watched about five minutes of the truck rehab show. Turned it off, because that into was depressing. Also, eleven o'clock on a Sunday night for the premier is not exactly a vote of confidence from FN.)

• Love 5

My guess is that the whole Alaskan concept was because of the pandemic.  If you visit towns of less than 1000 people in the middle of winter, you’re less likely to have unmanageable crowds.  Consider some of the earlier seasons when they would have hundreds of people lined up to this season where the lines were rarely more than 20-30 people at most.  I’m not familiar with Alaskan regulations either, but that may have played a role too in this set up.

• Love 5

What a terrible finale, to a terrible season. The only reason they didn’t announce the sales numbers is because they most likely didn’t crack $100. Giving a team a $400 advantage in these circumstances was criminal, even if they did somewhat rectify it by giving the other team $300 near the end. There was zero chance the annoying Ballers were going to get the prize from the second challenge, so there was no suspense at all when he announced the second challenge.

As another poster mentioned, the Balls most likely were handed the win in lieu of a lawsuit over the frostbite injury. The fact that BFD won every single city, and lost the final one by only $5, shows this show is an absolute joke. By all accounts, they should be the winner. 

Broken down trucks, idiotic challenges, sub zero temperatures, poor quality food, and lack of actual customers all combined to make this the worst season ever. 

Everyone involved in producing, creating, and green lighting this season should be fired.

• Love 13
26 minutes ago, MajorWoody said:

As another poster mentioned, the Balls most likely were handed the win in lieu of a lawsuit over the frostbite injury

Participants in reality TV shows pretty much sign away all of their rights to sue the producers or networks. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

The Balls women didn’t really bother me and I thought the Breakfast team was kind of smug but I just don’t see a win over $5.00. This should have been declared a tie. With so few customers and having to serve fish ice cream in below zero temperatures, these teams didn’t have a chance. 

• Love 6

As soon as I hear a team screaming they are off my list.  I am tired of having to mute.  I hate the screaming.

I've seen the way it usually goes on this show...win all season..lose in the end.  ;(

• Love 5

I was pretty darn sure BFD was going to lose when the editors chose to show us them saying "we're going to win." Then, I was positive when Tyler spent over half the "award ceremony" giving rambling justifications why the producers rigging challenges to give teams that are not good at selling an advantage is actually a good thing. I'm disappointed, but at least BFD is going home with six ears.

• Love 7
On 4/13/2021 at 9:20 AM, MajorWoody said:

What a terrible finale, to a terrible season. The only reason they didn’t announce the sales numbers is because they most likely didn’t crack $100. Giving a team a $400 advantage in these circumstances was criminal, even if they did somewhat rectify it by giving the other team $300 near the end. There was zero chance the annoying Ballers were going to get the prize from the second challenge, so there was no suspense at all when he announced the second challenge.

As another poster mentioned, the Balls most likely were handed the win in lieu of a lawsuit over the frostbite injury. The fact that BFD won every single city, and lost the final one by only $5, shows this show is an absolute joke. By all accounts, they should be the winner. 

Broken down trucks, idiotic challenges, sub zero temperatures, poor quality food, and lack of actual customers all combined to make this the worst season ever. 

Everyone involved in producing, creating, and green lighting this season should be fired.

Correction! TB won the last 2 episodes.

Breakfast For Dinner outsold all the other teams every week, and the only reason they lost the finale and the week in Seward was because of the challenges. And yes, it was obnoxious that in a finale where the sales had to have been under $1K each, the monetary wins for the challenges were $300 and $400, respectively. Tasty Balls wouldn't have made the finale in the first place if not for winning the challenge about getting good reviews.

They were from my hometown so I felt obligated to not hate them but the constant yelling Tasty Balls over and over again and making it into a chant for all their customers was obnoxious. Hopefully all of that was producer-encouraged :( 

Edited by LexieLily
  • Love 3
On 4/5/2021 at 7:08 AM, Kathy said:

Ok, Wow, so Tyler barks at them about customer online reviews but mentions nothing about the fact that one of the contestants got frostbite on her ear during one of their stupid challenges???   I am done with this mess of a show.

That medic didn't come off very well, either; he just gave her some antiseptic to put on it and told her to keep her ear warm and showed her his own frostbitten ear like it was something to be proud of. No suggestion of taking her to a hospital or to be checked out by anyone else and it was never mentioned again, even by Tyler when he was yelling at all the teams for daring to have cold food when they were selling to no one in a town that had negative temperatures. Without the challenges each truck's totals for the weekend would have been in the $700s (Tasty Balls would have been in the $500s) and based on what we saw onscreen I'm shocked they got even that high. 

• Love 7