Type keyword(s) to search

The Great Food Truck Race - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)

Apparently only 4 trucks for this season, Magical first to be eliminated judging from their IG activity

EDIT: Okay rereading the articles there are at least 5 trucks names floating around but the stop with 3 trucks says they are the “second episode.” Some incorrect info was given to someone. Magical only has photos at one stop so I’m inclined to trust that.

Edited by Skyfall
8 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Based on Tyler’s IG they are currently filming in Vermont in the snow so that could be interesting.

The show has enough problems avoiding traffic accidents in good weather. . . 

• Love 3

New Season Of THE GREAT FOOD TRUCK RACE  Premieres Sunday, June 9th at 9PM ET/PT

Tyler Florence hosted culinary beach battle along the Atlantic coast, with nine teams of aspiring food truck owners.  The Great Food Truck Race kicks off in Myrtle Beach on Sunday, June 9th at 9PM (all times ET/PT) and then hits Hilton Head, Daytona Beach, Tampa, Fort Myers, Fort Lauderdale and Miami, culminating in a Key West finale on Sunday, July 28th at 9PM.

This season’s competing teams are:

- Baby Got Mac (Los Angeles),
-Brunch Babes (Grand Rapids, Michigan),
-Frank N Slides (Boise, Idaho),
-Madea Made (Virginia Beach, Virginia),
-Make It Maple (Montpelier, Vermont),
- NOLA Creations (Atlanta),
- People’s Fry (Nashville),
- Rolling Indulgence (Dayton, Ohio), and
- Sol Food Collective (Los Angeles).

• Useful 1

They must’ve filmed a full season and a shorter holiday themed season. Interesting but not complaining. Plus this full season is the first in several years where I’m not spoiled for the most part since I didn’t know it was being filmed 😂

I like Tyler Florence, but I can’t watch this program since the producers made those Mormon kids lose the final from minute one. It was so evident that they wanted the other team to win that the final episode was an embarrassment.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, El maestro said:

I like Tyler Florence, but I can’t watch this program since the producers made those Mormon kids lose the final from minute one. It was so evident that they wanted the other team to win that the final episode was an embarrassment.

Wait what? If you’re talking about Waffle Love they were being lapped so bad the producers made Pho redo a part of the final challenge just to make it somewhat competitive.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, rustyspigot said:

Sol Food Collective. So they are annoying in a group of annoying groups.

I do kind of want crab now though.

I so hoped they were shooting themselves in the foot and would lose, but no such luck.

I'm sure there will be more challenges they won't be able to participate in. 

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, SoTheresThat said:

I so hoped they were shooting themselves in the foot and would lose, but no such luck.

I'm sure there will be more challenges they won't be able to participate in. 

I actually give them credit for sticking to their values. It was unfortunate that they had the accident, but the people seemed to like their food just fine. Yes, there probably will be other challenges involving meat that they may choose not to participate in. It remains to be seen if they can stay in the game doing that.

• Love 9
10 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

I actually give them credit for sticking to their values. It was unfortunate that they had the accident, but the people seemed to like their food just fine. Yes, there probably will be other challenges involving meat that they may choose not to participate in. It remains to be seen if they can stay in the game doing that.

Didn't Waffle Truck purposefully punt some or most of the challenges and that actually pissed off Tyler because they consistently won or got top three even without them?

• Love 2
28 minutes ago, rustyspigot said:

I get it, but I feel that Sol Food Collective should have gotten popped for not using the crab meat. Is this the first time a team biffed a challenge? I don't remember any other GFTR team simply refusing to use the challenge ingredient.

Why can't this show ever get brand new food trucks? You'll get enough drama from someone's poor driving or parking skills. It should not be raining inside a food truck, nor should there be issues with fryers.

• Love 12

I thought they got off to a good start despite the foolish accident and equipment that needed repair.  All the teams appeared to have cooking chops and all the dishes looked good to me.  Sol whatever and the other team of three women need to stop squealing and jumping up and down.  That makes me nuts.  

I'd like to know what really happens when there's an actual accident like that.  They make it look like everyone just soldiers on but I would think that the area would have been swarming with police and producers and that production would have been held up for quite awhile.  

• Love 7

I'm trying to load the link to it, but it's not showing.  The avatars don't show on my computer, so visualize an angry face.

The Great Food Truck Race won Best Travel/Adventure Show from The Critics Choice. Tyler Florence accepted the award on June 2, 2019.

I also saw that Darrell Johnson of Nola Creations is a graduate of Le Cordon Bleu and one of the others trucks had a classically trained chef, but don't remember which one. If I didn't hate the FoodNetwork website so much, I'd go and try and find the links from there, but as it stands, my browser keeps eating links and quotes. Visualize another angry face.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Stardancer Supreme said:

I get it, but I feel that Sol Food Collective should have gotten popped for not using the crab meat. Is this the first time a team biffed a challenge? I don't remember any other GFTR team simply refusing to use the challenge ingredient.

Why can't this show ever get brand new food trucks? You'll get enough drama from someone's poor driving or parking skills. It should not be raining inside a food truck, nor should there be issues with fryers.

No kidding! It’s totally unfair to a team to arbitrarily have faulty equipment and/or a leaky roof. I also agree that there should be a penalty for not using a challenge ingredient.

• Love 14
3 hours ago, rustyspigot said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who found Sol Food extremely annoying,  Not to mention bad drivers.  We hadn't had a truck collision for a few seasons, and I was worried that the Sqee Team was going to skate.  Fortunately, they got dinged at the finals.

I'm also super annoyed at people who participate in any cooking show and then go through all kinds of Sturm und Drang over having to incorporate a mandatory ingredient that doesn;t fall within their food profile. There have been numerous FN contestants with food allergies or cultural/religious dietary restrictions who went ahead and made a dish but simply didn't taste it themselves. I wish their deductible had been $500.

I agree those are some tatty-looking trucks.  Leaks during a rainstorm?  Inoperative fryers on a food truck of all things.  Are the producers screwing with the teams and us?

Other than the Squees, I don't have a problem yet with any of the remaining teams.

• Love 12
(edited)
7 hours ago, spiderpig said:

'm glad I'm not the only one who found Sol Food extremely annoying,  Not to mention bad drivers.  We hadn't had a truck collision for a few seasons, and I was worried that the Sqee Team was going to skate.  Fortunately, they got dinged at the finals.

I have the opposite viewpoint I find these cooking shows that force contestants to overlook their heath issues, moral or religious beliefs antiquated and lazy. I find it especially ridiculous on a show dedicated to food trucks where a good food truck is defined by the fact that they usually excel because of how narrowly the define their concept. 

I get they signed up to be on a reality food show but there is no reason that that food show should require them to know how to cook with every ingredient and not have alternative options available so more talent aren’t excluded just because they don’t adhere to a specific outdated view of food. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 12
(edited)

I expected them to announce the deductible as $500, which probably would've sent the vegans home. But I think the producers want to keep them around for awhile for the novelty and the drama of them not being willing to use certain ingredients. And yes, they are annoying. (Loved the disbelief of one of the Nola Creations people when we said "we lost to corn??")

I don't remember the food trucks being in such bad shape in the past. I think this is also the first time I remember them introducing a "mechanic" as part of the cast.

I love New Orleans food, and want to eat everything made by Nola Creations. There are two other food trucks doing some variation of southern cooking, but true New Orleans food is fairly distinctive. (Though we did have two Po Boys).

My guess early on was that the maple truck was going home. It's such a limited concept. In the first challenge basically all they did was cook hot dogs in maple syrup. And then they made maple glazed chicken. Every week they would've been pouring maple syrup over something else.

2 hours ago, mlp said:

Sol whatever and the other team of three women need to stop squealing and jumping up and down.  That makes me nuts.  

Every season seems to bring a team of perky, pretty blondes who excel at attracting male customers to their truck.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 5
(edited)

So basically Sol whatever gave up possible immunity by not serving crab.  

The deductible seemed extremely low. 

The Maple team didn’t seem surprised. The whole thing seemed contrived to me. 

Edited by Ellee
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, bluepiano said:

I expected them to announce the deductible as $500, which probably would've sent the vegans home. But I think the producers want to keep them around for awhile for the novelty and the drama of them not being willing to use certain ingredients. And yes, they are annoying. (Loved the disbelief of one of the Nola Creations people when we said "we lost to corn??")

I don't remember the food trucks being in such bad shape in the past. I think this is also the first time I remember them introducing a "mechanic" as part of the cast.

I love New Orleans food, and want to eat everything made by Nola Creations. There are two other food trucks doing some variation of southern cooking, but true New Orleans food is fairly distinctive. (Though we did have two Po Boys).

My guess early on was that the maple truck was going home. It's such a limited concept. In the first challenge basically all they did was cook hot dogs in maple syrup. And then they made maple glazed chicken. Every week they would've been pouring maple syrup over something else.

Every season seems to bring a team of perky, pretty blondes who excel at attracting male customers to their truck.

I was right there with them. How did corn with sauce drizzled on it beat out the other dishes?

• Love 6
16 minutes ago, Stardancer Supreme said:

I was right there with them. How did corn with sauce drizzled on it beat out the other dishes?

They needed the $300 to cover the deductible from the accident??

I may be a bit cynical here. 🤔

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4
7 minutes ago, Writing Wrongs said:

I might have if they hadn't felt the need to consult "the cards' for conviction verification.

I found them annoying as fuck but how is that different than consulting a bible or checking in with any other touchstone of belief?

• Love 2
(edited)
5 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

I found them annoying as fuck but how is that different than consulting a bible or checking in with any other touchstone of belief?

it's not. it's just as annoying to me.

Edited by Writing Wrongs
  • Love 5
21 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

The card of choice was placed on top of the pile??  😁

• LOL 1
(edited)
21 minutes ago, Ellee said:

The card of choice was placed on top of the pile??  😁

MY grandmother frequently found the passage she was looking for in the Bible and interpreted it as she saw fit.

I don’t believe in either but I am not going to suggest she didn’t find something just as many of my friends have also found solace in the cards, sticks, the moon. Who am I to say they are wrong or value one more than the other. 

The first few seasons had the trucks in the shittiest of shapes. Everyone including the people who worked on it didn’t think the Spencer on the go truck from the first or second season made it out of the alley where it was permanently parked.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 3

All right, fess up. Right after the accident how many of you were yelling "What about the insurance claim!" Because I sure was.

I actually thought the show should have told Sol about the deductible before the competition. They should have known they were going to be in a hole before making their decision about serving the crab. Even though I doubt they would have made a different decision. 

(Eh, it's "reality" tv. They probably did know and everything was staged.)

The fact that multiple trucks are having critical equipment failures should be unacceptable.

• Love 7

I follow Tyler on Twitter. Regarding the accident, he tweeted you haven't seen anything yet. This season was Bananas. The story makes it'd own gravy every week. There's an ambulance or 2 coming up but no one seriously hurt.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I have the opposite viewpoint I find these cooking shows that force contestants to overlook their heath issues, moral or religious beliefs antiquated and lazy. I find it especially ridiculous on a show dedicated to food trucks where a good food truck is defined by the fact that they usually excel because of how narrowly the define their concept. 

Amen.  Food Network acts like there aren’t (usually pretty easily obtained) alternatives and substitutions so nobody has to violate their beliefs.  It’s kind of repulsive, because Food Network could do it, but seemingly go out of their way not to, just for drama.

It’s like if there’s a kosher chef on Chopped you can often pretty easily predict that one of the ingredients that episode will be ham or bacon. That kind of thing is inexcusable, because it’s not like FN doesn’t know the profile of their contestants in advance or just comes up with these challenges ten seconds before airtime.  And these days there are lots of options (like soy-based substitutes) that could be made available, so why aren’t they for competitors who need those alternatives? It’s not 1972.  

No kidding! It’s totally unfair to a team to arbitrarily have faulty equipment and/or a leaky roof.

When it’s production’s fault for giving a team a defective truck, that team should have immediate immunity for that challenge.  That might give the producers proper incentive to, you know, make sure their equipment is in adequate shape before filming starts.

• Love 10
12 hours ago, biakbiak said:

The first few seasons had the trucks in the shittiest of shapes. 

I thought when this show started the competition was between actual professional food trucks? I always like those seasons better, but they seem to have moved away from that concept permanently.

Based on what I've heard so far, there are only two trucks with actual professional chefs. Could be more, but at least a few of the teams have expressed that they've never served food to people for money before.

• Love 1

I know this is petty but Baby Got Mac’s uniforms are so unflattering. The colour clashes with the hair of one lady and they are so ill fitting. 

I kinda like Sol Collective. I like that they stood their ground and said we are a vegan truck, crab does not belong here. 

• Love 5
17 hours ago, bluepiano said:

thought when this show started the competition was between actual professional food trucks? I always like those seasons better, but they seem to have moved away from that concept permanently.

It did but one of the reasons that the food truck trend started is because they are a cheap entry point and people often buy old used trucks because typically your not driving long distance. As I mentioned the Spencer on the Go truck that was on season one or two basically never left the alley where it was permanently parked. Though that truck was actually a little different because it was basically the to go window for the restaurant Chez Spencer.

I am ambivalent about Sol food not using crab - on one hand, it's commendable to stick to one's beliefs.  On the other hand, when you sign up for the competition, you should do what the competition tells you and not what you want, otherwise, sign up for a vegan food competition, I am sure there are some of those around (albeit probably with less exposure and lower prizes). 

I thought Vermonters would go home because they seemed really disorganized, they wouldn't have lasted long.  I am glad the franks truck survived despite not being able to use a fryer for the first day (seriously, being from Idaho and not being able to serve fries, that's adding insult to injury!) and that the truck that was hit still survived.

Not sure I have any favorites yet, but I love New Orleans food so Nola has my initial sympathy.  If they ever put red beans and rice on the menu I will like them even more, as that is my absolutely most favorite Creole dish!  Though it is not best suited to this competition format because of the time it takes to prep...

• Love 2
On 6/13/2019 at 6:39 PM, Hellga said:

I am ambivalent about Sol food not using crab - on one hand, it's commendable to stick to one's beliefs.  On the other hand, when you sign up for the competition, you should do what the competition tells you and not what you want, otherwise, sign up for a vegan food competition, I am sure there are some of those around (albeit probably with less exposure and lower prizes). 

I get what you’re saying, but I feel that a vegan food truck will always have difficulty, as the producers simply need to choose an animal based ingredient, and they wouldn’t be able to participate. If there’s a vegan truck in the competition, simply choose a plant based ingredient, then all trucks are theoretically on a level playing field—which is how to incorporate the ingredient into a dish. There’s enough entertainment in that. 

Hilton Head: 

So Sol Food didn't use the pork given to all the food trucks?  How were they able to get away with that?  They must not charge a lot for those hummus wraps to wind up in the bottom again.  Did Tyler not announce what the difference in sales was for the People's Fry to go home? Their only other issue was not charging enough for their food.

Tyler: "The food is good, but y'all are slow as fuck."

Nola Creations looks like the team to beat!

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Morgana said:

If I'm standing in line and someone I don't know comes up and tries to hug me they won't be getting my business.

Agreed. That was so weird! If she had nothing else to do, she could have helped get the food out. I'm ready for Sol Food to go.

• Love 9
52 minutes ago, Ellee said:

Am I the only one that isn’t excited about the race so far?  Haven’t decided if it’s too soon or what yet. 

I think there are just too many trucks and they’re all too similar - for instance, were there two French fry trucks? The People’s Fry and the Idaho potato guys? I guess I’m glad one of them is gone. 

• Love 1

Like a lot of you, I'm just meh about this season. 

The trucks look dilapidated and crummy.  The menus are unimaginative.  And $15 for something from a food truck served in a paper boat in an area where I can't even wash my hands?

Why not pivot to a nice sports bar or gastropub where you can sit down, watch a flatscreen, and socialize with the bartender?  FOR THE SAME MONEY!!!

I'm losing interest in this show, and it used to be one of my favorites.

• Love 12
18 minutes ago, spiderpig said:

Like a lot of you, I'm just meh about this season. 

The trucks look dilapidated and crummy.  The menus are unimaginative.  And $15 for something from a food truck served in a paper boat in an area where I can't even wash my hands?

Why not pivot to a nice sports bar or gastropub where you can sit down, watch a flatscreen, and socialize with the bartender?  FOR THE SAME MONEY!!!

I'm losing interest in this show, and it used to be one of my favorites.

I'm with you on this. 

That one truck Tyler advised to raise prices marked an item up to $20. 

If I'm spending $20 on an entree, I want a waiter to bring it to me at a table.  I don't want to eat it standing in a field.  Not even for the reality TV show experience.

• Love 18

So can any team ignore the surprise/mandatory ingredient, as long as they make the biggest profit?  It may not be "fair" to assign meat or dairy to a vegan truck, but it's definitely not fair to let them cook whatever they want while the other trucks have to meet the challenge.

regardless. the screaming and hugging and carrying on about their "mission" bugs.  Away with them!

• Love 8