Type keyword(s) to search

Glee - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Well, if it is her, then at least her family gets the closure that they so deserve. It is unfortunate that it's also on the 7 year anniversary of Cory Monteith's death, so it's gonna be an especially hard day altogether. 

• Love 7
(edited)

If it's not her then someone else tragically drowned recently but I as far as I know no one else has been reported or is still missing from previous years. Truly sad but at least her family can bury her/cremate her properly and maybe get some answers as to what actually happened. 

Oh and with it being CM's anniversary more "curse of Glee" clickbait stories. 

Edited by Featherhat
  • Love 2
42 minutes ago, kieyra said:

They've already updated this article from 2018:

The 'Glee' Cast's Tragic History: From Cory Monteith to Mark Salling

I had no idea Mark Salling had killed himself. I only knew about Cory Monteith.

Yes. Mark killed himself rather than go to prison and face what he did. 

I am assuming the body is Naya’s. Thinking of her little boy and family and their grief right now. I hope she didn’t suffer. 

(edited)

The New York post compiled a list of her credits and...she saw Redd Foxx have his heart attack and was on The Bernie Mac show when he died. And appeared on 8 Simple Rules after John Ritter passed away. 

Fuck. 😞 

there’s a screen shot of friends and family along the shore holding hands. Although their backs are to the cameras, I’m pretty sure Heather Morris is in the middle.  (Edit: reports are saying the other cast members are there.)

Lea Michele has also deactivated her Twitter account. 

Edited by mtlchick
3 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

The New York post compiled a list of her credits and...she saw Redd Foxx have his heart attack and was on The Bernie Mac show when he died. And appeared on 8 Simple Rules after John Ritter passed away. 

Fuck. 😞 

there’s a screen shot of friends and family along the shore holding hands. Although their backs are to the cameras, I’m pretty sure Heather Morris is in the middle.  (Edit: reports are saying the other cast members are there.)

Lea Michele has also deactivated her Twitter account. 

I remember Naya as a little girl on Soul Food!! (The series on Showtime) She played a girlfriend of Ahmad. It was kind of like we grew up together. 

I don’t blame Lea for deactivating her twitter. These fans criticizing her response to Naya’s disappearance and attacking her (when of course she had nothing to do with her disappearance whatsoever) is the last thing the woman needs especially while she’s pregnant. No of course I am not saying pregnant women are immune from criticism- but she doesn’t owe anyone a public display of grief (like Amber Riley said) and it’s her choice if she wants to reach out to Naya’s family privately to give condolences as a former co-worker. 

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Lady Calypso said:

Well, if it is her, then at least her family gets the closure that they so deserve. It is unfortunate that it's also on the 7 year anniversary of Cory Monteith's death, so it's gonna be an especially hard day altogether. 

It is a weird coincidence that both Naya and Cory has passed away on the same date

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, DVDFreaker said:

It is a weird coincidence that both Naya and Cory has passed away on the same date

They didn't, though. Presumably, Naya passed away last week when she went into the lake, it's just her body was discovered today. 

• Love 10
6 minutes ago, DVDFreaker said:

Technically, they didn't; she's only been discovered on the date that Cory passed, but she technically died on the 8th. 

There is a video circulating where the Sheriff confirms that the body was Naya's to a reporter (and the poor guy sounds so shaken up, even though he wasn't the person to directly find the body), but until the official press release, I won't post it out of respect. 

• Love 3
1 minute ago, emma675 said:

They didn't, though. Presumably, Naya passed away last week when she went into the lake, it's just her body was discovered today. 

You are right

2 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Technically, they didn't; she's only been discovered on the date that Cory passed, but she technically died on the 8th. 

There is a video circulating where the Sheriff confirms that the body was Naya's to a reporter (and the poor guy sounds so shaken up, even though he wasn't the person to directly find the body), but until the official press release, I won't post it out of respect. 

You are right

• Love 2

I heard on the news that she is the 9th person to drown in that lake in the recent past. That man-made body of water is full of debris since  apparently the basin was not cleaned up before being filled. They showed signs which say swimming is forbidden, but it may not be enforced strictly, especially when people are out on a boat far from shore.

• Love 2
(edited)

The press conference is happening right now and it's been officially confirmed that it was her body. She's officially been declared deceased. 

*sigh* This is so awful.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 2

Such a terrible tragedy. Naya was one of my favorites on Glee. All my thoughts to her friends and family. The strangest coincidence about her being found on the day Cory died is that she was the one who gave the cast statement. I really hope her son has no memory of being on the lake.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Florinaldo said:

I heard on the news that she is the 9th person to drown in that lake in the recent past. That man-made body of water is full of debris since  apparently the basin was not cleaned up before being filled. They showed signs which say swimming is forbidden, but it may not be enforced strictly, especially when people are out on a boat far from shore.

She’s the 12th since 1994. The debris isn’t from when it was filled but from droughts. Two years ago the lake was at a record law after years of drought. The lake was down to under 20% than was almost at capacity within a year. 

Unless the autopsy reveals something groundbreaking I don’t think we will every fully know what happened out there. All signs point to the above though. 

One thing I’ve found strange (and it’s possible I’m just assuming as thankfully the little boy hasn’t been in the press much) but it doesn’t sound like Josey was distressed. By all accounts he got back into the boat, out a towel on and then fell asleep. I would have thought watching his mother disappear would result in him screaming or crying but by all accounts he’s quite calmly said what happened. I would assume maybe he’s just in shock? 

I just hope he’ll be ok as her final thoughts were most likely of him.

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, Avabelle said:

Some of the questions during that conference were ridiculous - what was the exact condition of her body - why would that be important except to publish gorey details. 

I can not say I am surprised, they are stupid nosey people 

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, Avabelle said:

One thing I’ve found strange (and it’s possible I’m just assuming as thankfully the little boy hasn’t been in the press much) but it doesn’t sound like Josey was distressed. By all accounts he got back into the boat, out a towel on and then fell asleep. I would have thought watching his mother disappear would result in him screaming or crying but by all accounts he’s quite calmly said what happened. I would assume maybe he’s just in shock? 

A lot of 4-year-olds are in their own little world, and wouldn't understand what was happening.

If I was on a boat with my mother when I was four, and she said she was going swimming, I could easily see myself falling asleep, being woken up by a stranger a few hours later, and not even realizing anything was wrong.

• Love 3
23 minutes ago, Avabelle said:

Unless the autopsy reveals something groundbreaking I don’t think we will every fully know what happened out there. All signs point to the above though. 

I just hope he’ll be ok as her final thoughts were most likely of him.

Drowning can be surprisingly quiet and even adults watching can be completely unaware of what happened. So from his perspective her going under water may have looked completely normal and not traumatic until he realized she wasn’t coming back. There weren’t a lot of people of the lake and there’s no way of knowing how long he was alone. It may have been long enough that he cried himself to sleep. 

(edited)

I was a worry wort when I was 4 so I would have been screaming, I used to panic if I lost her for a second in a shop but my sister at the same age was fine and happy to do her own thing until an adult forced her to pay attention so I guess it varies. And he also may have been in shock/not really understood what was happening. Or he could have fallen asleep exhausted from crying and screaming. If the police or his family have been able to get those details from him, they will presumably remain private. 

At least she managed to get him on to the boat and this isn't a double tragedy. I guess the autopsy might be able to tell them if she hit her head or something but I'm not sure if it could point to a muscle or stomach cramp. And yeah the only reason a reporter wanted to know the state of her body was to print the gory details so they could be properly ghoulish. No thanks, I'd rather remember her as she was. 

Edited by Featherhat
  • Love 5
5 minutes ago, Dani said:

Drowning can be surprisingly quiet and even adults watching can be completely unaware of what happened. So from his perspective her going under water may have looked completely normal and not traumatic until he realized she wasn’t coming back. There weren’t a lot of people of the lake and there’s no way of knowing how long he was alone. It may have been long enough that he cried himself to sleep. 

Well, there was a bit of a timeline established because Naya had been Facetiming her family and taking pictures out on the lake, which is how the police finally knew where to look for her. So Naya was a true hero for her son and for herself (so that they could find her body). At least she went out saving another life in the process. 

• Love 6
8 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Well, there was a bit of a timeline established because Naya had been Facetiming her family and taking pictures out on the lake, which is how the police finally knew where to look for her. So Naya was a true hero for her son and for herself (so that they could find her body). At least she went out saving another life in the process. 

Yeah. I meant we can’t know how long he was along on the boat. The police probably have a rough estimate. It’s probably was at least 30 minutes because that how long the rental was overdue before the company went looking. So long enough for him to fall asleep. 

3 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I don’t blame Lea for deactivating her twitter. These fans criticizing her response to Naya’s disappearance and attacking her (when of course she had nothing to do with her disappearance whatsoever) is the last thing the woman needs especially while she’s pregnant. No of course I am not saying pregnant women are immune from criticism- but she doesn’t owe anyone a public display of grief (like Amber Riley said) and it’s her choice if she wants to reach out to Naya’s family privately to give condolences as a former co-worker. 

It was worse than that -- she had people telling her it should have been her who died, and a few crazies claiming she put a hit out on Naya or something. Fandom is scary sometimes.

Glad Naya's body was found, and I hope pictures of it are never leaked. I agree that there's no need whatsoever to publish details about her body's condition.

• Love 3

This is very sad news to wake up to. My condolences to Naya's son, family and friends. Such a random tragedy, but I am glad her body has been found so everyone (family and fans) can have the closure they need.

• Love 6

This is so heartbreaking:

He said in a press conference: "It would be speculation to say at this point. There are a lot of currents on the lake that appear particularly in the afternoon. We believe it was mid-afternoon when she disappeared, the idea perhaps being that the boat started drifting, it was unanchored, and that she mustered enough energy to get her son back onto the boat, but not enough to save herself."

Speculation, but it does fit in with her son's account that she got him onto the boat and then he looked back to see her slip under the water.

When that day comes, I hope he will be able to be kind to himself and accept that he was only four. My best friend (mother of two) pointed out that you can't ask a 4-year-old to throw you your life jacket. They don't have that kind of wherewithal.

Plus, she wouldn't have wanted to let on that anything was wrong, so that he would stay on the boat where he'd be safe(r).

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Cranberry said:

It was worse than that -- she had people telling her it should have been her who died, and a few crazies claiming she put a hit out on Naya or something. Fandom is scary sometimes.

Glad Naya's body was found, and I hope pictures of it are never leaked. I agree that there's no need whatsoever to publish details about her body's condition.

What no? That’s awful!! Omg. People are nuts. 

Using Naya’s awful tragic death to attack Lea, they should be ashamed of themselves. 

No we don’t need to see the corpse. If anyone wants to help honor her I’m sure her family would set up a fund for children in the arts or something of that nature to donate, or if they don’t want to THATS FINE too. 

• Love 2

Good friend lost her cousin in a tragic river accident, and as irrelevant as it may seem to others, it was a huge  deal to find the body (after several months as it was pushed downstream) for that emotional closure.

I will always remember when Naya  had her "star" moment in Bad Romance.   It made me stand up and notice the character Santana.  She added so much to the character that wasn't on the scripted page, just touches that were Naya.    Good actress and singer , and from all accounts, a loving and devoted mother.

Just so depressing.

• Love 10

Darren's post.

Rumor Has It/Someone Like You was for me one of, if not the best Glee cover. Naya's voice was one of my favorites of the entire cast. I can't think of too many of her numbers I didn't enjoy. Hers and Amber's voices together was fire. Shake It Out was another favorite of mine, featuring the two of them. 

• Love 13

My favorite Santana/Naya performance from the show, in no particular order. Some are duets, some are solos, some are group performances. People might point to others they felt were better or liked more, or others that may have represented Santana better, but these are the ones I tend to go back to the most when I want to rewatch Glee songs featuring Santana. And while I understand Stronger's lyrics might seem a bit cruel given what happened, fuck it, for me, that was the TTs at their best.

• Love 12
21 hours ago, catlover79 said:

I never watched GLEE, but I vividly remember Naya Rivera as adorable Gwendolyn on Family Matters. So, so sad. God bless her loved ones, especially her son. 🙏💔

1e85ffc5009767bd5f6394a9ed0c391d~2.jpg

family-naya~2.png

That was her?! I never knew that and I loved Family Matters! That is pretty cool! 

• Love 2
20 hours ago, Cranberry said:

Why do fans hate Lea?

1 hour ago, DVDFreaker said:

That was her?! I never knew that and I loved Family Matters! That is pretty cool! 

Yeah that was her!

1 hour ago, DVDFreaker said:

Why do fans hate Lea?

People are unhinged. They will say it’s for her asshole/racist behavior towards other cast members that’s come forward lately (which I do believe happened, especially since she apologized), but it’s really because they are UNHINGED. 

Nothing Lea did or has been accused of doing includes threatening to hurt someone. Naya is dead and her son has no Mom, but that has nothing to do with Lea in any way. 

• Love 7