Type keyword(s) to search

Glee - General Discussion

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, mtlchick said:

based on what her son said that she jumped in and never resurfaced and tragically a life jacket was on board, she could have hit her head on something, got her leg caught (reports suggest the bottom is like quick sand)...I prayed for her overnight. But I fear the worst. 

When I saw that she jumped in, for some reason I thought maybe suicide. 

I actually surprised myself by bursting into tears when I saw the news report, I just feel so sad for her little boy.

5 minutes ago, heatherchandler said:

When I saw that she jumped in, for some reason I thought maybe suicide. 

I actually surprised myself by bursting into tears when I saw the news report, I just feel so sad for her little boy.

I don’t think it was suicide- if so she would’ve gone out alone, I don’t think she would brought her son and risked his life too, he possibly jumping in after her or not being found in time. 

It could be that she dropped something in the water, thought she could grab it quickly (hence no life jacket), and was hit in the head with debris or had a random seizure/heart attack and drowned. 

• Love 5

From what I've read, the waters are extremely rough. She could have gone for a quick swim and been pulled under very easily.

This is reminding me a lot of the recent incident in Maryland where RFK's granddaughter and her son were both carried away while boating.

I'm kind of shocked this isn't being treated as bigger news. Glee was a huge show, and she had a big role, and people have talked about her a lot on social media ever since the show ended.

2 minutes ago, Blakeston said:

From what I've read, the waters are extremely rough. She could have gone for a quick swim and been pulled under very easily.

This is reminding me a lot of the recent incident in Maryland where RFK's granddaughter and her son were both carried away while boating.

I'm kind of shocked this isn't being treated as bigger news. Glee was a huge show, and she had a big role, and people have talked about her a lot on social media ever since the show ended.

Yes I thought of that incident as well. 

• Love 2

So, a bit of an update on this situation from TMZ: it IS now a recovery mission, rather than a rescue mission, and it's assumed that it might take upwards from a week to ten days to even find her body, just because the water is murky and has a lot of debris in the bottom of the lake.

This isn't what's most important, but I wonder why this became public knowledge?  If I were her family and friends, I think I would've appreciated a bit more discretion and some space to make this news on their own terms (although I guess I can't be too precious because here I am discussing it).  I suppose it could've been picked up on a police scanner or who knows what.  Just really tough.  Maybe on the other hand they appreciate all the thoughts and prayers.  It sounds trite, but what more do we have?

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

This isn't what's most important, but I wonder why this became public knowledge?  If I were her family and friends, I think I would've appreciated a bit more discretion and some space to make this news on their own terms (although I guess I can't be too precious because here I am discussing it).  I suppose it could've been picked up on a police scanner or who knows what.  Just really tough.  Maybe on the other hand they appreciate all the thoughts and prayers.  It sounds trite, but what more do we have?

Was it TMZ that first reported this? They have all sorts of informants with access to celebrities' personal information, who give them scoops.

• Love 2
(edited)
10 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

This isn't what's most important, but I wonder why this became public knowledge?

Celebrity news sites and paparazzi are very clever at finding things out; for example, they pay informants and still make use of traditional tools like the police scanner you mention.

Sad to say but there is little privacy left for some people as soon as they step out the door, even in case of a tragedy like this. It is just about impossible for a celebrity and their entourage to control what information will get published or not, or when it will be. The competition is so fierce among gossip media outlets that they will rush to print or post any news.

Edited by Florinaldo
10 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

Even when it's a nobody who goes missing in the water in my city, it's reported and covered by local media immediately. 

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, incandescent said:

Even when it's a nobody who goes missing in the water in my city, it's reported and covered by local media immediately. 

Absolutely, but not usually by name, right?  Perhaps I'm being naive.  I was most surprised when the county sheriff named her on their Twitter, although by that time I think other outlets had been running with the story for a few hours, so perhaps acknowledging it freed up resources they would've had to spend answering public inquiries.  @Florinaldo and @Blakeston are no doubt right: there are people who do this full time and are very good at it.

• Love 3
(edited)

From what I can tell it was originally reported as "young toddler found in boat, search underway for parents." and was attracting media attention as a tragic search.

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/toddler-found-alone-on-boat-in-lake-piru/2393146/

It was then confirmed to be Naya by officials when they called off the search later that night. I presume they had been in contact with her family/Ryan Dorsey at that point. Obviously the kid knows who he is and the company know who they rented the boat to so there were loads of rumours before then.

I guess it's like when you hear "a soldier has been killed" on the news but they don't release until the family has been notified and then it's in every publication, whether they want that info out there or not. 

Edited by Featherhat
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Featherhat said:

From what I can tell it was originally reported as "young toddler found in boat, search underway for parents." and was attracting media attention as a tragic search.

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/toddler-found-alone-on-boat-in-lake-piru/2393146/

It was then confirmed to be Naya by officials when they called off the search later that night. I presume they had been in contact with her family/Ryan Dorsey at that point. Obviously the kid knows who he is and the company know who they rented the boat to so there were loads of rumours before then.

I guess it's like when you hear "a soldier has been killed" on the news but they don't release until the family has been notified and then it's in every publication, whether they want that info out there or not. 

So long as the family was told first I don’t see a problem with releasing her name. 

1 hour ago, incandescent said:

Yes that’s what I thought. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Featherhat said:

Yes, in the case of a non-celebrity like most of us, it would usually be reported in general terms with no names, at least initially. But in the case of a celebrity, as soon as the information is confirmed the temptation may be overwhelming for some media to specify who it relates to in order to generate more views or clicks, whether the family has been formally notified or not.

• Love 3

I think once they notify next of kin or in this case family they can release the name. An acquaintance of mine was killed in a car accident and once the family was notified the police released the name on Facebook to get more info for those who witnessed the accident. There were no celebrities involved.  Still in shock about Naya. I am surprised how little coverage it is getting. I feel bad for the cast. It seems like the majority of the cast kept in touch and now something tragic happened again. 

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, choclatechip45 said:

I think once they notify next of kin or in this case family they can release the name. An acquaintance of mine was killed in a car accident and once the family was notified the police released the name on Facebook to get more info for those who witnessed the accident. There were no celebrities involved.  Still in shock about Naya. I am surprised how little coverage it is getting. I feel bad for the cast. It seems like the majority of the cast kept in touch and now something tragic happened again. 

It’s pretty active on my Instagram. Enews and several celebrities have shared. 

• Love 6
11 minutes ago, choclatechip45 said:

I had some insomnia overnight so when I went on twitter at 145 am eastern, the news broke maybe an hour before.  It’s been all over the place since this morning. 

• Love 2

Originally they thought Josey was a girl (likely due to his long hair and name), so the report was "three-year-old girl found alone on boat," but that was corrected to "Naya Rivera's four-year-old son" fairly quickly. I assume by that point they'd notified next of kin.

I saw someone local to the area saying they wouldn't swim in that lake because of what they called "brush" on the bottom that one could get easily tangled in. I hope the divers can recover Naya's body soon.

Edit: Here's some more info about the lake. It varies widely in depth and there are full-size trees and debris under the water. It has only about 8-10 inches of visibility. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

The press conference Ventura County Sheriffs department held said that she had been a regular visitor to the lake and knew it quite well. Apparently she used it as a peaceful getaway. So if she had gone swimming with no problems before she might not have realised they were in a dangerous position or simply encountered different conditions or hit her head on the apparently large amount of debris floating underwater. Or slipped and banged her head in rough conditions without meaning to go in. Her son apparently had his life jacket on. Which I guess means it's more likely she deliberately took hers off for a quick dip.

It's a dammed, man made lake that drains and is interconnected with two others so they know the most likely places to look both recovery and search and rescue. But conditions also mean there are a lot of places where it's difficult to find people because of the weeds, mud and logs etc in the water. 

It's so hard for me to think about her final moments and her son. All she wanted was to give him a fun outing, and instead he loses his mother and is traumatized. And if she knew she was in trouble at the end (as opposed to getting knocked unconscious immediately), she must have been so terrified thinking of her son being left all alone on the lake. Thank goodness he was found.

Re: the comments about the amount of news coverage, I agree with others that it's pretty well covered in certain places: on social media and the younger pop culture sites, as well as LGBT sites. It's the mainstream media that's been relatively quiet, and I think that's because of the timing of this in respect to Glee. Yes, Glee was a huge show, but it was also a teen show, and the mainstream media can be pretty snobby about those, especially once they've stopped airing. She didn't die when Glee was still on the air, as Cory Monteith did, and she didn't die so many years later that the generation to which the show was most important had made it up the ranks of mainstream media and had lots of nostalgia, as Luke Perry did.

But regardless of mainstream media attention, Rivera leaves an important legacy. Heather Hogan over at Autostraddle wrote well about this:

There isn’t a way to overstate the profound impact Naya Rivera’s role as Santana Lopez on Glee had on our individual lives and on our culture as a whole. She embraced a role as a lesbian character at a time when there were very few LGBTQ characters on network TV, even less who were Latina, when the fight for equality was at a fever pitch in the wake of California’s Proposition 8. Rather than shying away from on-screen chemistry and jokey throw-away lines the writers tossed at her and co-star Heather Morris, who played Brittney S. Pierce, she leaned into it and celebrated when Santana began exploring her sexuality and came out. The fictional closet door she opened paved the way for the hundreds of LGBTQ characters who came after her. Santana Lopez was a revolution.

• Love 11
8 hours ago, 853fisher said:

As someone else noted, TMZ was the first to report this and they have links all over L.A. that quickly alert them about these types of tragedies. They were also the first to report on Kobe Bryant when the County Sheriff hadn't confirmed anything yet and the County Sheriff was pretty pissed about that.

That then sparked a whole angry debate over whether Vanessa Bryant, Kobe's wife, essentially found out she lost her husband and daughter from TMZ. Harvey Levin even went on some shows to defend himself. But it was later reported that she had been contacted by authorities just before TMZ got ahold of the story. 

It's the mainstream media that's been relatively quiet, and I think that's because of the timing of this in respect to Glee. Yes, Glee was a huge show, but it was also a teen show, and the mainstream media can be pretty snobby about those, especially once they've stopped airing.

I actually get the impression the mainstream media is just reporting on the story in the responsible way, in that they don't want to speculate and are waiting for full confirmation from authorities on whether they're declaring her dead. I remember a lot of outlets were rushing to make all kinds of stories and pieces regarding Kobe Bryant and CNN for hours would not even confirm that he was dead until it was officially reported. 

The story is definitely all over entertainment media - People Magazine, US Weekly, THR, E News, etc. 

I hate that I'm already seeing this "omg, is there a Glee curse" thing happening. Because I feel like some are going to turn real tragedy into some romanticized tragedy that's cool to talk about. It's like that whole "the 27 year old club" shit people pushed for years about so many famous artists who died at 27. After awhile it's like the tragedies become entertainment. I don't know how to explain it but it just bugs me. 

• Love 5

It seems so odd to me that she would leave her child alone in the boat to go for a swim. I can't imagine it's a suicide, though, and her child is saying she went for a swim, and the fact that she wasn't wearing her life jacket makes it sound like she didn't fall out of the boat accidentally.

• Love 2

Poor Naya!!!  I always liked her and thought she was so much better than Glee.

And her poor little boy!  Keep in mind that at only 4 years old and obviously in a world of shock and sorrow right now, him saying “Mommy went swimming” could just mean that he saw her go into the water, not necessarily that she told him she was going for a swim.  I can’t imagine that she would take her son out on a boat, put him in a life jacket, and then willingly commit suicide in front of him, so I have to believe this was a terrible accident.  Whether she fell in and was unable (for whatever reason) to get back out, or she slipped into the water to cool off and something tragic happened, who knows?  Poor little Josey, though...he’s just at the age to begin forming memories, and this one is just awful.

• Love 8
(edited)
5 hours ago, Black Knight said:

The reports I've seen say that her son said that they both went swimming. But he got back to the boat and she didn't.

What reports? I haven't seen anything stating the son said they were both swimming, and how would a 4 year old wearing a life jacket be able to get himself back onto a boat?

Edited by CaliforniaLove
  • Love 1
55 minutes ago, CaliforniaLove said:

What reports? I haven't seen anything stating the son said they were both swimming, and how would a 4 year old wearing a life jacket be able to get himself back onto a boat?

The type of boat she rented had a ladder. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

The CNN article is pretty informative. It mentions this previous statement (link is to a YouTube clip) from Capt. Eric Buschow in which he says Josey (then misidentified as a girl) stated he and Naya were both swimming and Josey got back onto the boat while Naya didn't. Of course, Josey is four and likely traumatized, so we may never know exactly what happened. The lake is known for rip currents (dangerous and common where I live; people seem to get caught in them every year), columns of chilly water, and lots of debris under the surface that someone could get tangled in.

This article includes another statement from Buschow:

“The son said they were in the water swimming together,” Buschow, who revealed it was windy on July 8, explained. “He came up and got back up on the boat, but she did not. He was found on the boat by a passerby. He was found fast asleep on the boat by himself.” He added that “there is a high likelihood that the singer drowned,”

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, Black Knight said:

It's the mainstream media that's been relatively quiet, and I think that's because of the timing of this in respect to Glee. Yes, Glee was a huge show, but it was also a teen show, and the mainstream media can be pretty snobby about those, especially once they've stopped airing.

I saw a short report about it on the Web site of Canada's biggest French-language newspaper, so the news is making the rounds. Probably not as quickly or extensively as if she were one of the most active of the former Gleeks, whether in acting, performing or publishing. I think that the circumstances of this now generally assumed drowning makes it particularly striking and a likelier candidate for geting into the news, i.e. the son being left alone on the boat and being found sleeping hours later.

Which means the police's only source of information is a young child; they must be careful not to contaminate his testimony because at that age we are very influenceable and it is easy to plant false memories in a child's mind. It's bad enough he will have to live with the real memory of the events, and that it may well grow worse as he gets older and better understands the full meaning of it.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Black Knight said:

All she wanted was to give him a fun outing, and instead he loses his mother and is traumatized. And if she knew she was in trouble at the end (as opposed to getting knocked unconscious immediately), she must have been so terrified thinking of her son being left all alone on the lake. Thank goodness he was found.

I know. Her final thoughts were probably for the safety of her baby. Thank goodness he stayed in the boat! I want to him to be wrapped in the loving arms of his father and other family members right now. 

• Love 2

I have a four year old and even thinking of her being alone like that makes me cry. That poor, poor baby.

Two of my favorite Glee performances involved Naya - Valerie and River Deep, Mountain High.  So so good 

• Love 9

Saw this on Instagram. 

I understand so many feel powerless, but would a land search team made up untrained volunteers be useful right now?(I honestly don’t know just asking) Is there anyway they can support the divers/rescue team with food/supplies etc?

I would like for them find her soon for her family’s sake.

• Love 3
28 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I understand so many feel powerless, but would a land search team made up untrained volunteers be useful right now?(I honestly don’t know just asking) Is there anyway they can support the divers/rescue team with food/supplies etc?

I 100% understand wanting to do SOMETHING instead of just sitting and waiting. I hope the constant barrage of tweets or people showing up to the lake isn't hindering the actual search by divers/county officers/etc.

I would like for them find her soon for her family’s sake.

Tomorrow (7/13) is the anniversary of Cory Monteith's death, and although I hope she's found soon I hope it's not until Tuesday. Is that terrible to think? That day is already just such a sad one for the people on this show.

• Love 5
(edited)
4 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Unfortunately, well-meaning volunteers just showing up can be more a hindrance than a help. If the authorities can coordinate them for support duties, for example food and supplies as you suggest, or for a straight line of people just walking through a wooded area, perhaps it might work. There is an example of this unfolding up here at this moment, with a case of parental abduction turned tragic; the two little girls have been found dead but the father is still at large. There was a rumour yesterday that he had been spotted in one section of the area so a hundred people just showed up, only to have the police tell them to go home because they were mucking up all traces of him as well as confusing the search dogs who were overwhelmed by the number of different scents.

In NR's case, it's even more complicated because the search mostly takes place underwater, which requires special training; unless they start to scour the shores for her, but I do not know how difficult the terrain is. You do not want to endanger the lives of anyone engaged in the search by sending them to dangerous locations, be they spontaneous volunteers or trained personnel.

Edited by Florinaldo
  • Love 3

Some of the fans are going nuts, to put it mildly. First there were all of the people who objected to suspending the water search overnight (standard procedure), claiming the authorities wouldn't have done it if Naya were a white woman. They bombarded the various offices with calls and emails demanding they continue the search. Once the security cam footage of Naya arriving at the lake came out, there were people scrutinizing everything from her parking (slightly crooked! Was she drunk!?!?) to her belongings (she was carrying a sack not found on the boat!!!), to the fact that she wasn't holding her kid's hand (in a big, completely empty parking lot). They were convinced a jetski was following her boat and contacted the authorities demanding they find and interview those people. I saw people asking for them to drain the lake, people saying there's no way she's in the water and it was probably a kidnapping, people saying she's surely somewhere on shore keeping an eye on her kid... there was something about the fans sending the searchers coordinates, too. Now Heather wants to bring a bunch of untrained volunteers in for a land search (although I see she tweeted that they should check in advance and make sure they're wanted/allowed to help, which is more responsible). I understand that a lot of this is denial caused by grief, but this is making it harder for the people trying to find Naya's body and bring her home.

Here's a new article with another quote from Buschow:

Buschow said the Glee star was last seen in the water, and she and her 4-year-old son "were swimming in the water together." He also confirmed that Josey was found "wearing his life vest."

"He was asleep on the boat, covered in a towel," Buschow shared, adding that Josey has helped out with the case. "Kids that age, they are going to be very matter of fact in providing information. And he was. He was able to provide information that was very helpful to investigators."

• Love 3
35 minutes ago, Cranberry said:

Some of the fans are going nuts, to put it mildly.

The details you provide underscore how so many people are overinvolved in some celebrities' lives, to the point of losing whatever little rationality they had to begin with, as with their suggestion of a night search in a murky lake full of debris; it's as if they want to put the search people in jeopardy. As for their paranoid scenarios, the less said the better.

Social media can really be a nuisance and even a hindrance for the authorities in an emergency situation. At least HM showed herself to be a little more careful in her later tweet than in her initial message.

• Love 3
(edited)

Some of the cast members took to Twitter today to basically ask that fans let the family grieve and stop demanding reactions from cast (me paraphrasing). Apparently Lea Michele is being attacked on twitter; people wishing her harm and blaming her. 

ive seem some crazy ass fandom but wow 

Edited by ms.o
  • Love 8
Just now, ms.o said:

Some of the cast members took to Twitter today to basically ask that fans let the family grieve and stop demanding reactions from cast (me paraphrasing). Apparently Lea Michele is being attached on twitter; people wishing her harm and blaming her. 

ive seem some crazy ass fandom but wow 

Yes. Amber Riley shared this. She’s wonderful and a class act. 

• Love 6

Oh yeah. I've seen fans complaining that the other cast members haven't released statements, and I've even seen a few people berating them for not going out and helping with the physical search. 

And I haven't even spent much time reading about this; I've just checked a couple of places for a few minutes each day... so I'm sure I'm just scratching the surface of this circus. I hope Naya's body is found soon so everyone can get some closure.

• Love 1
(edited)
14 minutes ago, Cranberry said:

Oh yeah. I've seen fans complaining that the other cast members haven't released statements,

I think those cast members are showing the appropriate restraint in such a situation, after the initial shock of the news. Let the facts unfold, and then try if you wish to verbalise your feelings. Not that any of them are under any obligation to make public statements about it, but that is the culture of the day where people are expected to  display their inner thoughts on all subjects.

I wish I could share AR'S optimism, assuming she means "found alive".

14 minutes ago, Cranberry said:

I hope Naya's body is found soon so everyone can get some closure.

I am sure some will not find closure and use it as a reason to amp up their craziness. They are a minority but a very vocal one.

Edited by Florinaldo
  • Love 3
27 minutes ago, Cranberry said:

Oh yeah. I've seen fans complaining that the other cast members haven't released statements, and I've even seen a few people berating them for not going out and helping with the physical search. 

And I haven't even spent much time reading about this; I've just checked a couple of places for a few minutes each day... so I'm sure I'm just scratching the surface of this circus. I hope Naya's body is found soon so everyone can get some closure.

I’ve been checking Ventura County Sheriff’s twitter occasionally and the fan reaction as been insane. I saw one persons encouraging fans to call the FBI and demand they take over. That first night over 800 people called the police department demanding the search continue through the night. 

1 hour ago, theschnauzers said:

The latest I’ve seen is that the search has been expanded to land areas adjacent to the lake, so If coordinated volunteers would be useful.

They have been searching those areas all along. They just have to keep restating because of the insanity. Earlier today they put out a statement telling people that trying to help would do more harm than good. 

I understand people wanting to help- but let the professionals do their jobs.

Anyone lashing out at any of Naya’s former co-stars obviously isn't concerned about Naya or her family members. They just want attention.

It’s not about YOU, like Amber Riley pointed out. But I don’t think Naya is alive. Had she got pulled to the shore and perhaps had head injuries wouldn’t they have found her by now?

• Love 2
(edited)

800 people calling the sheriff's office was actually making their job harder, not easier. Calling off the search overnight is standard for anyone because they were searching in/on the water which is difficult at the best of times and impossible to find anyone at night. S&R is dangerous in itself and divers were in more danger at night. The last thing anyone needed was another tragic accident. Like the Ventura Sheriff's office is pointing out over fears that volunteers will need to be rescued.

Bodies of previous victims at that lake who were white people have been found days later because it's so difficult looking at the articles about various deaths over the years.  If anything being a celebrity would have ensured they kept searching overnight if they took things like the worth of a specific person into account, which they don't. It was about being physically able to do the job. The sheriff posted a picture of them about to start their search at first light on Thursday, that was the soonest it was safe to do so and included over 100 people. They want to find her. Conspiracy theories make great outrage entertainment on the internet they don't actually help with practical recovery and S&R. I don't think there's any reason to suspect she was drunk of impaired either. 

As for those demanding her family and friends grieve a certain way, fuck you. You don't get to demand how people deal with this, especially her family and ex who are focusing on her son and have 101 things to think about. 

I still think she is in the lake, it's just taking time. If she had washed or swan to shore most likely they would have found her on Wednesday afternoon or Thursday or seen signs in the days since. As for a kidnapping via Jetski or whatever, it's extremely unlikely the kid wouldn't have seen or remembered something like that. And there's no ransom demand as far as we know or worse. Her son would probably also have been a target too if that was the case. In fact more likely than his mother to be grabbed, sickeningly. 

Edited by Featherhat
  • Love 7
39 minutes ago, Featherhat said:

I still think she is in the lake, it's just taking time. If she had washed or swan to shore most likely they would have found her on Wednesday afternoon or Thursday or seen signs in the days since.

Yes I agree. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Featherhat said:

As for those demanding her family and friends grieve a certain way, fuck you. You don't get to demand how people deal with this, especially her family and ex who are focusing on her son and have 101 things to think about.

It reminds me when Luke Perry died and the Twitter mob were going after people like KJ Apa and Jennie Garth because they didn't express their grief fast enough online.  Hard core fandoms SUUUUUUCK.   And even days later, even when the police and divers are calmly explaining why they can only do so much with the current conditions, it's not satisfactory enough for some.  

• Love 11