Type keyword(s) to search

Friends - General Discussion

• Start Topic

12 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Funny that they made Joey a Yankees fan, considering he grew up in Queens.  Seems unlikely.

Feels like they wrote the Met/Mets joke and then made it work.

Unlikely, but you never know… My dad, when he was growing up in Queens in the 50s, was a Giants fan, his mom liked the Dodgers and his dad liked the Yankees.

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 2
7 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

Unlikely, but you never know… My dad, when he was growing up in Queens in the 50s, was a Giants fan, his mom liked the Dodgers and his dad liked the Yankees.

I bet that made for some lively dinner discussions!

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
5 hours ago, mojoween said:

Funny that they made Joey a Yankees fan, considering he grew up in Queens.  Seems unlikely.

Feels like they wrote the Met/Mets joke and then made it work.

I think Joey was a Mets fan at one point. Him and Janice went to see them play on their day of fun. But since the Yankees were the better team back then, they changed it. 

I'm surprised they were able to include dialogue about the Subway Series. I know the episodes are filmed in advance, but that was only by a couple weeks and it was really specific dialogue about what happened in the series.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
(edited)

TBS, WYD?  They play the series finale, then season 2 eps 15 and 17, season 3 ep 2, season 4 ep 12.

But since they played a wide gamut of eps today, I noticed that the series encompassed a whole gamut of phones.

Phoebe had a touchtone corded desk phone.  Monica had a cordless (with a speakerphone on the base with attached answering machine).  Phoebe had a giant cell phone.  Rachel, in the finale, had a flip phone (which makes sense as the iPhone was still three years out).  And I would be remiss if I didn’t mention Ross’s beeper.

Edited by mojoween
  • Like 4
6 minutes ago, mojoween said:

TBS, WYD?  They play the series finale, then season 2 eps 15 and 17, season 3 ep 2, season 4 ep 12.

But since they played a wide gamut of eps today, I noticed that the series encompassed a whole gamut of phones.

Phoebe had a touchtone corded desk phone.  Monica had a cordless (with a speakerphone on the base with attached answering machine).  Phoebe had a giant cell phone.  Rachel, in the finale, had a flip phone (which makes sense as the iPhone was still three years out).  And I would be remiss if I didn’t mention Ross’s beeper.

And Pete had a voice-activated vid-screen phone!

15 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

Clearly, the force was with Pete since he hangs with The Mandalorian these days. 😉

He learned everything he knows working for Tony Stark.

Two different things have made me think of Friends moments recently…

The first is I was watching a horror movie where, of course, a dog dies. I will never not see a movie with a dog being killed and not think of Phoebe’s reaction to Old Yeller; “What kind of sick doggie snuff film is this?!”

And second, when Angela Basset is being called out for not applauding and looking mad when she didn’t win an Oscar last night, it made me think of Joey and Rachel going over the reactions when losing before the soap opera awards.

• Like 3
  • LOL 4

I know it’s silly, but I love the running gag the writers had with Mr. Heckles.

”You don’t have a cat”

”I could have a cat”

”You don’t play the oboe.”

”I could play the oboe.”

• LOL 8

It’s frustrating how Friends seems to have the rights to all of the music that they used, when Beverly Hills, 90210, which debuted four years earlier, doesn't.

It makes watching 90210 reruns torture when a piece of music that meant so much to the scene is instead a generic instrumental.

Does anyone know for sure if Friends does have all of its music?  I don’t remember enough of the originally-aired episodes to know if something is different.

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, mojoween said:

It’s frustrating how Friends seems to have the rights to all of the music that they used, when Beverly Hills, 90210, which debuted four years earlier, doesn't.

It makes watching 90210 reruns torture when a piece of music that meant so much to the scene is instead a generic instrumental.

Does anyone know for sure if Friends does have all of its music?  I don’t remember enough of the originally-aired episodes to know if something is different.

I think they do. Friends was also famous for using music that sounded like other songs but weren't.

• Like 1

Dramas also tend to use more music than sitcoms so there's not as many songs they need to clear.  In addition, I wonder if some of the music they used was from warner brothers.  That makes it much easier to clear with corporate synergy.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

I can't remember what popular songs they used, aside from Wicked Game during the planetarium sex date, and Ross' ill-fated dedication of With or Without You to Rachel on the radio. I'm sure there were more, but I can't think of them.

Oh - and All By Myself when Chandler and Joey were missing being roommates XD

Edited by tracyscott76
15 minutes ago, tracyscott76 said:

I can't remember what popular songs they used, aside from Wicked Game during the planetarium sex date, and Ross' ill-fated dedication of With or Without You to Rachel on the radio. I'm sure there were more, but I can't think of them.

Chandler and Phoebe once did a duet of - I think - "Endless Love" in one of the episode tags at the end, too.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

Chandler and Phoebe once did a duet of - I think - "Endless Love" in one of the episode tags at the end, too.

That's true. I wonder if the characters singing songs are subject to the same rights restrictions as the actual tracks being used? Because there was also Monica singing Delta Dawn at karaoke. It seems like those would be harder to edit out - the Chandler/Phoebe tag was a standalone bit, but the karaoke was one of the main plots of the episode in question (not a great plot, mind you, but kind of hard to cut out nonetheless).

They used many famous artists and songs like Hootie and the Blowfish, Barry White, The Beatles, Bruce Springsteen and on and on and on.  I have a huge list in my iTunes.

Also they referenced artists like Christopher Cross, Frankie Goes to Hollywood, Van Morrison, etc.

I went to Google if "Billy Don't be a Hero" is a song, and it indeed it is.

"Do the words Don't be a Hero mean anything to you?" 
My Millennial ass:  "No."

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 1
  • LOL 1

Barry Manilow’s “Looks Like We Made It” was used when one of the animals swallowed something. I think it was Marcel and the Scrabble tile. 

The gang hummed the theme from The Odd Couple (with one trying to follow up with I Dream of Jeannie) in the cold open.

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, tracyscott76 said:

That's true. I wonder if the characters singing songs are subject to the same rights restrictions as the actual tracks being used? Because there was also Monica singing Delta Dawn at karaoke. It seems like those would be harder to edit out - the Chandler/Phoebe tag was a standalone bit, but the karaoke was one of the main plots of the episode in question (not a great plot, mind you, but kind of hard to cut out nonetheless).

I think so, because I have read about DVD releases of other shows cutting scenes because a character sang a particular song or whatever...

2 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Classic Barry White moment

That will forever be skeevy to me because Cassie and Ross/Monica are COUSINS! Of course, this is the same show that had Ross/Monica have accidental incest. Gross, not funny. But the writers clearly felt differently.

It sounds like I hate the show. NOT true! But some decisions just make me scratch my head.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

I don't know, the whole Cassie thing didn't bother me as much as it did other people. At least it gave us that great scene where Ross was trying to rationalize it in his head.

Also, I really liked the Joey plot. My favorite moment was when Monica asked him if there was anything to work with and Joey doesn't say anything. He just gives her a blank stare. That always kills me.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, tracyscott76 said:

Chandler and Monica danced to "Wonderful Tonight" by Eric Clapton when they got engaged.

• Like 4

REM's "What's the Frequency, Kenneth" during a party scene. And I think it was an Eagles song playing when Marcel was in the hospital (not Manilow, that was when the duck swallowed the ring).

• Like 3
57 minutes ago, rubaco said:

REM's "What's the Frequency, Kenneth" during a party scene. And I think it was an Eagles song playing when Marcel was in the hospital (not Manilow, that was when the duck swallowed the ring).

After some Google searching, the song when Marcel wakes up in the hospital is a Don Henley song, "New York Minute". When Ross and Marcel are spending the day in the city together before Marcel ships out to the zoo, it's Barry Manilow's "Looks Like We Made It". When the duck is in the hospital (lol lots of animals in the hospital in this show) and the guys are reminiscing, it's a different Manilow song, "Weekend in New England".

Well I knew there were more songs that I couldn't remember...looks like there were a lot more 😆

Rachel plays "Tequila" on Joey's Drums, the show references "bad bad leroy brown".  The show references "Rhiannon".

Madonna's Take a Bow - I assume that's Rachel trying to meet Ross at the airport in Season 2.

Chandler sings "Space Oddity".

Chandler and Phoebe sing "Endless Love".  (Whoops, mentioned upthread)

"Only Time" by Enya - I assume that's someone having a bath or Phoebe giving a massage.

That "Morning's Here" song that Joey's neighbour sings - I assume that's a real song?

Chrissie Hynde sings Angel of the Morning.

The Police's Don't Stand So Close to Me, I assume this is when Joey's doing ads for STDs.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 1
  • LOL 1
4 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

"Only Time" by Enya - I assume that's someone having a bath or Phoebe giving a massage.

IIRC that's Joey and Rachel's song.

4 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

The Police's Don't Stand So Close to Me, I assume this is when Joey's doing ads for STDs.

I would assume it was when Phoebe was stalking Sting.

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, Katy M said:
5 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I would assume it was when Phoebe was stalking Sting.

No, they're right; it plays over the montage of Joey's STD poster being all over the city.

The Phoebe/Sting one was her shrieking "Ross cannnnn" to the "tune" of "Roxanne".

“Only Time" by Enya - I assume that's someone having a bath or Phoebe giving a massage.

1 hour ago, Katy M said:

IIRC that's Joey and Rachel's song.

It was Chandler taking a bath. 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Oh. Well, I know they also used it for commercials when Joey and Rachel were going to get together.

They used it for the promos for the season premiere when Rachel was pregnant. It was the same season they used it for Chandler’s bath. I don’t remember them using it for Joey and Rachel.

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

Does Copacabana count when Rachel sang it at Barry and Mindy's wedding?

Definitely!

Also Ross's voicemail "We will, we will, call you back."  And The Lion sleeps tonight.

I marked "Thrown Down" by Fleetwood Mac as a Joey/Rachel/Ross song.

Also Rachel walking around naked in her apartment - guess that's Love to Love you Baby?

Horse with no name - I think that's Joey going to Vegas.  There's so many more too we could go on forever.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 2
33 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

There's so many more too, we could go on forever.

This game is fun! 

And I just thought of another one. "Space Oddity" as sung by Chandler on the end of the tape of Joey's Law and Order episode his grandmother was over to watch and his scene was cut. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

This game is fun! 

And I just thought of another one. "Space Oddity" as sung by Chandler on the end of the tape of Joey's Law and Order episode his grandmother was over to watch and his scene was cut. 

Yup we got that upthread.

I think "Morning's Here" is sung to the tune of Feels so Good by Chuck Mangione.  And I think Chuck Mangione is the name that Phoebe's mother gave to Phoebe for her father?  I don't remember.

The Clash's London Calling when they go to London, obviously.

Tiny Dancer/Tony Danza.
Gloria Estefan "The Rhythm is gonna get you".
Baby Got Back.

• Like 2

Celebration played by Ross on the bagpipes.

59 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I think Chuck Mangione is the name that Phoebe's mother gave to Phoebe for her father?

Phoebe thought a picture of Chuck Mangione was her father but Phoebe Sr. explained that she sold a house to him.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:
1 hour ago, LexieLily said:

This game is fun! 

Yup we got that upthread.

Not only does Chandler sing Space Oddity, Joey also sings it when he's on the road trip with Phoebe and she gets mad at him. "That's not fair, you know I can't resist that beautiful voice!"