Type keyword(s) to search

Friends - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I always thought Ross should have gone to Paris - organic way to break up the group (though Chandler and Monica moving also worked), and it would really show how much Ross respected Rachael and her career.  Missed opportunity IMO.

• Like 7
6 hours ago, partofme said:

Even if R/R want to be a couple(which I would never support), it would have made more sense for Ross to move rather than have Rachel give up her dream job.

I always hated the dream job in Paris aspect because they were never going to have her go so I'm not sure what their goal was with that. 

But I disagree that it'd be the "better" solution to have him go.

The children do change the calculation IMO. Ben was 10 and in NYC which makes Ross based in NYC.  And Rachel had a child with that NYC-based man.  In general, that does limit what parents can do.

• Like 3
On 1/5/2023 at 6:44 PM, Crs97 said:

I always thought Ross should have gone to Paris - organic way to break up the group (though Chandler and Monica moving also worked), and it would really show how much Ross respected Rachael and her career.  Missed opportunity IMO.

Didn't Ross get tenure? Not sure he could just take off when that was pretty much his whole goal once he started teaching.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Nellise said:

Didn't Ross get tenure? Not sure he could just take off when that was pretty much his whole goal once he started teaching.

I don't think this would have been easy if at all possible. It's not like Paleontology tenure track positions where you can teach and supervise in English grow on trees in France. Or really anywhere. This whole thing was always utterly implausible, one way or another.

• Like 2
33 minutes ago, Nellise said:

He could have probably, eventually, gotten a sabbatical of a year.  That usually is available in the seventh year.  But it's usually only for a year.

NYU has a Parisian program but they don't offer archeology as an offering.

If Ross having tenure were the only issue, then opening a negotiation of where they were going to live their lives and how they were going to manage finances wouldn't be as cut and dry, IMO.  The show Wings had a similar finale situation and Joe was willing to sacrifice the business he developed to go with Helen for a year so she could chase her dreams---but Joe didn't have kids in the US.

• Like 1

Since Ross and Rachel were always the end game I was one of those people who watched the finale who was happy that Rachel got off that plane.  Rewatching years later I still feel that them being a couple at the end of the series was inevitable but I agree with others that it would have been nice if Ross had been the one making the sacrifice or the compromise or whatever to get them there.  

• Like 4

I'm an R/R fan, but if you've ever seen a Hallmark movie, so many times the cliche with those (and with Hollywood movies) is a fork in the road where a woman must choose between some huge leap in her career and a man.  She always picks the man.  It's annoying that "Friends" had that too.  (Movies need to stop doing this.  Why can't a woman have both?  Movies would say it's not possible.  LOL!)

R/R have complicated lives though, Ross had two children and of course he'd want to be as close to Ben as possible, I get that.  Also his sister and his best friends, you would think.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 4

It wasn’t plausible for Rachael to burn all her bridges.  I liked the idea of Ross saying he would go, take care of Emma, and figure out his plan from there.  Sabbatical - visiting professor somewhere - writing more papers - if Rachael was so valuable that her company was willing to fly Ross back and forth, maybe he could still do that.  Maybe Susan shoots a movie nearby on location and Ben and Carol come, too.  Fan waving is fun!

• Like 3

The whole thing for me as far as the final Ross/Rachel arc is concerned has already been mentioned.

Ross is a doofus and has belittled Rachel and her aspirations, but Rachel fucked up HER career NUMEROUS times herself - WITHOUT Ross.

I find it IMPOSSIBLE to believe she would be offered a position in Paris to begin with. Add in the usual R/R games and the tired tropes, and the whole bit was a nonstarter for me, and I never cared.

But then, I freely admit to never really caring about that 'ship and was more a viewer for Monica/Chandler, sooo...

But I will add that, yes, while Ross is a shitty father for never mentioning Emma moving to be with her mother, he is a father of TWO, and it would also be shitty to just go to Paris with his son still in NYC and still being a minor and, depending on Carol and Susan's lives, having access limited there, as well.

In the end, I think it was just another sign that Ross and Rachel were better as friends and co-parents, not a romantic couple.

• Like 7
12 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

I find it IMPOSSIBLE to believe she would be offered a position in Paris to begin with.

Classic sitcom shenanigans.  Happens all the time.  Someone suddenly, miraculously becomes a brilliant student or, as in Rachel's case, a brilliant employee.  Based on very little past evidence or past performance!  To be fair though they did have Rachel find her niche and she was shown to be good at her job.  But good enough to get a Paris job with all those perks?  Not really.  Maybe good enough to get a promotion, even a coveted corner office, but otherwise, it did strain believability!

• Like 7

One of my favourite lines is Charlie's to the professor at 2:53:

And one of my LEAST favourite is Monica's whiny delivery of "I'm crying here!"  Dear god.  I hear it in my nightmares:

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 1

Courtney had some truly terrible line deliveries in the show, particularly when she was supposed to be upset over something. I'd say she was the weakest actor on the show, especially when the writers decided that shrill and loud were defining qualities for her.

I still think Ross should have ended up with Charlie... or at least married her and been divorced for a fourth time by the end of the show.

• Like 4
4 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

Courtney had some truly terrible line deliveries in the show, particularly when she was supposed to be upset over something. I'd say she was the weakest actor on the show, especially when the writers decided that shrill and loud were defining qualities for her.

I don't usually mind, but Season 6 is just...........  her worst, in my personal opinion.  She goes way overboard.   Welp, I just looked it up and that was Season 5, before anyone even knew that they were dating.  So yeah, she kind of was bad at deliveries longer than I thought.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 1

I don't know that Ben factored into Ross' plans at all in terms of him potentially following Rachel to Paris, as bad as that might sound. Jack Gellar apparently forgot Ben as a grandchild when Emma was born and I don't think we ever saw Ben again after Rachel got pregnant. 

How many rooms did Ross' apartment have? Rachel had her own room living there when she was pregnant and for the first year or so it would have been fine for baby Emma to stay in Rachel's room, but eventually she would need her own. Not to mention how there's no separate bedroom for Ben.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

I don't know that Ben factored into Ross' plans at all in terms of him potentially following Rachel to Paris, as bad as that might sound. Jack Gellar apparently forgot Ben as a grandchild when Emma was born and I don't think we ever saw Ben again after Rachel got pregnant. 

We did see Ben in season 8 but completely unrelated to Rachel. Monica and Chandler’s wedding, the Phoebe stalks Sting episode (which is probably my most hated plot ever) and the Ms. Pac-Man arcade game plot. And that was the last we saw him.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
3 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

We did see Ben in season 8 but completely unrelated to Rachel. Monica and Chandler’s wedding, the Phoebe stalks Sting episode (which is probably my most hated plot ever) and the Ms. Pac-Man arcade game plot. And that was the last we saw him.

Oh, you mean you didn't care for Phoebe shrieking "Rosssss cannn"? I can't imagine!

2 minutes ago, tracyscott76 said:

Oh, you mean you didn't care for Phoebe shrieking "Rosssss cannn"? I can't imagine!

Definitely not, but mostly because I would’ve been absolutely livid if one of my friends posed as my child’s parent to gain access to a celebrity’s house.

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

Definitely not, but mostly because I would’ve been absolutely livid if one of my friends posed as my child’s parent to gain access to a celebrity’s house.

More proof, as if it was needed, that Phoebe was the worst Friend. (Lisa Kudrow seems cool, though)

15 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

I would have been livid at Ben's teacher for not confirming that Phoebe was in fact Ben's mother/stepmother before letting her take the kid. I know it was the 90s but wouldn't Phoebe have to show ID or be on a pickup list or something like that?

• Like 4
4 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

I would have been livid at Ben's teacher for not confirming that Phoebe was in fact Ben's mother/stepmother before letting her take the kid. I know it was the 90s but wouldn't Phoebe have to show ID or be on a pickup list or something like that?

Nah, they didn’t do that back then.

36 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

the Phoebe stalks Sting episode (which is probably my most hated plot ever)

It also seemed to come out of nowhere.  Did we have any reason to think Phoebe would have been a deranged stalker before this episode?

• Like 3
12 minutes ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

It also seemed to come out of nowhere.  Did we have any reason to think Phoebe would have been a deranged stalker before this episode?

That's true.  She was once notorious for not knowing about pop culture.  (Dudley Moore vs Demi Moore.)   The entire plotline was just to have Trudie Styler on the show. 

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 3

Monica should have thought quicker and said if she had a boy, Daniel, and a girl, Daniela.  Then she would still have Emma in her back pocket.

Also, she could still use Emma.  Cousins have the same names all the time.  And when Erica was born, Monica thought Emma was going be living in Paris anyways.

On 1/12/2023 at 4:22 PM, LexieLily said:

I don't recall Phoebe taking Ben anywhere. She talked to him to ask which one was Sting's son and then he ran off to join his friends.  then the teacher came over.

I don't know that they would have asked for ID from a normal person. But, Phoebe is weird and talking about sex with Carol, I think she even said "yes, we're lesbias' and said "then I must be Susan."  She was giving off all kinds of weird vibes.  I at the very least would have asked Ben if that was his mom and he would have said "no, it's my aunt Phoebe."

• Like 1
On 1/11/2023 at 5:48 AM, Danny Franks said:

I still think Ross should have ended up with Charlie... or at least married her and been divorced for a fourth time by the end of the show.

"You were my midnight mystery kisser?!"

"You were my first kiss with Rachel?!"

"You were my first kiss ever?!"

"What did I marry into?!"

One of the worst episodes in the whole series ends with some of the worst acting in the whole series. It's bad enough that we have to find out Ross and Monica committed accidental incest, but the line readings are horrible. I never thought I would see these people forget how to act. This whole episode felt like it was written by someone that hated the series and wanted to make fun of it.

• Like 5

By the way, @Danny Franks, you were spot-on with your analysis of Ross and Rachel. I don't know why the show made it seem like they had this all-time great romance when they only dated for a year. Then they got back together months later and quickly broke up again. Ross wasn't even willing to put his own pride aside to be with Rachel when the breakup affected him the most. If he couldn't do that, there's no way they would work as a couple. 

Then the divorce to Emily made Ross go insane and he became more cartoonish. The only other time where I could say that Ross and Rachel should have gotten back together is when Rachel got pregnant. That would have been perfect. They even softened up Ross' character around this time to make it more believable. Then the fake proposal happened, Ross didn't want to maybe kinda start things up again, and he went back to being insane. Doing things like hide messages from Rachel and cry like a spoiled kid when he sees her kiss someone else on her birthday. "You're the one who moved on and didn't tell anybody!" You haven't dated in six years, you've had other relationships since then, I think you both moved on years ago. 

As much as people hate Joey and Rachel together, and I understand why, they were more compatible at the end of the series. I feel like Joey genuinely appreciated Rachel for who she was and they had a chemistry that was different from the one Ross had with Rachel. The writers didn't really give that relationship a chance. They literally dated for a week, broke up because they suddenly lost all feelings they had for each other, and Joey just became a complete idiot after that. The show took a lot of time to deal with how Ross felt about Rachel leaving. What did they do with Joey? They had Rachel take advantage of his stupidity so she could leave, and then they made a joke about him wanting to kill himself because of her goodbye speech, the only speech in the episode we don't hear anything from.

It's almost like they had to manufacture Ross and Rachel getting back together when they didn't need to, because there were other opportunities they didn't take (Ross not getting the annulment, Rachel getting pregnant).

• Like 6
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1

Man, season ten of this show is truly dire. So, so bad.

Joey speaking French, sitting in paint multiple times, asking an eight year old for career advice and thinking the Chick and Duck went to live on a special farm. They completely infantilised him, to the point that he was just a cartoon character.

Ross and Rachel's never-ending, circling-the-drain nonsense. "It's never off the table"? Sure, except for all those years where they had no interest in each other at all.

The terrible way they wrote Charlie out, by completely torpedoing the relationship they'd built up to with Ross.

The absolutely stupid, unrealistic notion that Rachel would be fired just because she interviewed for another job, all to set up the Paris fakeout.

Ross being such a colossal whiner from the moment he learns about Rachel's job offer.

I've talked many times about how cheaply they disposed of Rachel/Joey after devoting a decent amount of time to building a story with sincere emotional connection. They go from Joey and Ross having a real heart-to-heart to literal slapstick stupidity.

Phoebe and her lobster bullshit. I hate her in season ten. And then there's a whole episode where she's trying to force the idea that she's living in a musical. 

The only parts of the season I like are TOW Ross is Fine (though, as I said, that episode is effectively erased from continuity almost immediately), TOW Ross Gets a Tan and anything Mike does.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Like 8
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

Man, season ten of this show is truly dire. So, so bad.

Joey speaking French, sitting in paint multiple times, asking an eight year old for career advice and thinking the Chick and Duck went to live on a special farm. They completely infantilised him, to the point that he was just a cartoon character.

Ross and Rachel's never-ending, circling-the-drain nonsense. "It's never off the table"? Sure, except for all those years where they had no interest in each other at all.

The terrible way they wrote Charlie out, by completely torpedoing the relationship they'd built up to with Ross.

The absolutely stupid, unrealistic notion that Rachel would be fired just because she interviewed for another job, all to set up the Paris fakeout.

Ross being such a colossal whiner from the moment he learns about Rachel's job offer.

I've talked many times about how cheaply they disposed of Rachel/Joey after devoting a decent amount of time to building a story with sincere emotional connection. They go from Joey and Ross having a real heart-to-heart to literal slapstick stupidity.

Phoebe and her lobster bullshit. I hate her in season ten. And then there's a whole episode where she's trying to force the idea that she's living in a musical. 

The only parts of the season I like are TOW Ross is Fine (though, as I said, that episode is effectively erased from continuity almost immediately), TOW Ross Gets a Tan and anything Mike does.

The one thing I'll give season ten is that it has a better Thanksgiving episode than season nine, which has arguably the worst one in the entire series. But most of the time, I see season nine being ranked the lowest and I don't know why. Maybe it's because the Joey/Rachel stuff takes over the end of the season but I would rather have that than Joey and Rachel barely interacting after they somehow lose their attraction to each other. There's nothing in season ten that lines up with the best of the show. Nothing as good as TOW the Memorial Service or TOW the Lottery. 

I never like it when they make Phoebe the voice of reason. That's why the "Joey doesn't share food" scene is so weird to me. Phoebe telling Joey exactly what he's going to do the next time he sees Sarah, dictating the rules. Her being the straight man doesn't work. She was at her best when she was more sensitive and awkward, more unaware of her reality. But they stopped writing her like that after......season four, probably? She just turned into an arrogant, delusional weirdo with no social skills.

I still think one of Joey's worst moments was when he was unable to write a thoughtful letter to the adoption agency. I don't believe he would struggle with that, ever. He was literally the minister for Chandler and Monica's wedding two years ago, and now, they have no faith in Joey being able to give them a good recommendation? Joey has to use a thesaurus to sound smart? His writing is at the same level of a child? It's like a way worse version of the minister storyline, and they not only had to dumb down Joey to justify it, but go against what makes his character work.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

I really liked how Ross went crazy after his Emily divorce because it had Schwimmer do his best work on the show and enabled the writers to stop trying to make us see poor Ross as the good guy instead of the angry, selfish person he truly was.

I also found it intriguing how Rachel was the one doing most of the chasing after their break up but I thought it worked better than Ross pining after Rachel mainly because Jennifer gives her character Rachel such a likeable quality.

Also Ross and Rachel have the greatest chemistry in tv history, with maybe only Spike and Lynda from Press Gang coming close to them. No wonder the writers went to that well so many times. I'm not sure they would have worked out though because I don't think Ross had outgrown his jealousy issues by the end.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, Mr. Meatball Man said:

The one thing I'll give season ten is that it has a better Thanksgiving episode than season nine, which has arguably the worst one in the entire series. But most of the time, I see season nine being ranked the lowest and I don't know why. Maybe it's because the Joey/Rachel stuff takes over the end of the season but I would rather have that than Joey and Rachel barely interacting after they somehow lose their attraction to each other. There's nothing in season ten that lines up with the best of the show. Nothing as good as TOW the Memorial Service or TOW the Lottery. 

Yeah I prefer 9 over 8 and 10.  8 is too saccharine (Joey and Rachel dating, trying to make Rachel this sainted mother character post 9/11), 10 is too stupid (Joey speaks French; Paper! Snow! a ghost! Princess Consuela Banana Hammock) .  9 has the right tone for me.  Goofy and kind of crazy humour.

But 8 has The Videotape and that's the best episode of the last 3 seasons.

I never like it when they make Phoebe the voice of reason. That's why the "Joey doesn't share food" scene is so weird to me. Phoebe telling Joey exactly what he's going to do the next time he sees Sarah, dictating the rules. Her being the straight man doesn't work. She was at her best when she was more sensitive and awkward, more unaware of her reality. But they stopped writing her like that after......season four, probably? She just turned into an arrogant, delusional weirdo with no social skills.

This reminds me of how my musician brother gets so angry over Phoebe teaching Joey how to play guitar.  You're absolutely right.  Phoebe is almost never right, so don't paint her that way.

It's like a way worse version of the minister storyline, and they not only had to dumb down Joey to justify it, but go against what makes his character work.

LOL by the way, that scene of Joey practicing being the minister sends one of my friends into absolute hysterics:

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 5
22 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

Have we talked about this trope?  Being caught interviewing for another job, by your boss at the same restaurant?  Because something similar happened in "Mrs. Doubtfire" and I wonder if it's been used in other projects too.

22 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

My brother and I love all the Greg Kinnear stuff.  What only helps that is that blooper of Ross making Aisha and Greg laugh over and over again.  "Sweetie this conversation is starting to make me a little uncomfortable."  

6 hours ago, Mr. Meatball Man said:

The one thing I'll give season ten is that it has a better Thanksgiving episode than season nine, which has arguably the worst one in the entire series.

I like the Season 10 Thanksgiving too.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 3
4 hours ago, Mr. Meatball Man said:

I still think one of Joey's worst moments was when he was unable to write a thoughtful letter to the adoption agency. I don't believe he would struggle with that, ever. He was literally the minister for Chandler and Monica's wedding two years ago, and now, they have no faith in Joey being able to give them a good recommendation? Joey has to use a thesaurus to sound smart? His writing is at the same level of a child? It's like a way worse version of the minister storyline, and they not only had to dumb down Joey to justify it, but go against what makes his character work.

Didn’t he also write it with a crayon? 🙄

• Like 3
On 1/18/2023 at 1:26 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

Have we talked about this trope?  Being caught interviewing for another job, by your boss at the same restaurant? 

And in all ten seasons “Gucci, but it’s spelled like Gucky” might be the dumbest dialogue ever written.  Especially because it’s not spelled like that!

And pretty sure if Gucci is dining at this particular restaurant they flipping know his name.

• Like 6
7 minutes ago, mojoween said:

And in all ten seasons “Gucci, but it’s spelled like Gucky” might be the dumbest dialogue ever written.  Especially because it’s not spelled like that!

And pretty sure if Gucci is dining at this particular restaurant they flipping know his name.

There are some really horrible lines in Season 10.  Especially Phoebe saying the great things about New York:  

Phoebe: Have you thought about what you're giving up? You can't move out of the city. What if? What if you want Chinese food at 5 a.m.? Or a fake Rolex that breaks as soon as it rains? Or an Asian hooker sent right to your door?

Jesus Christ.

• LOL 1

We all know that in the bad old 90’s a lot of language was just unenlightened, but Judy saying “this is worse than when he married a lesbian” when Ross said Emily’s name at the altar is such a dumb line anyways, because when Ross and Carol were married, no one (except maybe Carol) knew she was a lesbian.  I’m sure their wedding day was a perfectly lovely time.

1 hour ago, mojoween said:

We all know that in the bad old 90’s a lot of language was just unenlightened, but Judy saying “this is worse than when he married a lesbian” when Ross said Emily’s name at the altar is such a dumb line anyways, because when Ross and Carol were married, no one (except maybe Carol) knew she was a lesbian.  I’m sure their wedding day was a perfectly lovely time.

I think it was less about the wedding day itself and more a commentary on how she thought Ross’s marriage to Emily in general would turn out. Basically, it was Judy predicting that it would be worse than the one with Carol. And she was right.

• Like 7
On 1/19/2023 at 3:40 PM, mojoween said:

As if an upscale Manhattan restaurant in the year 2004 would’ve been unfamiliar with the name/pronunciation of one of the most famous fashion brands in the world. We were at a point in commercialization and globalization by then that even the average American family of the mythical Nielsen ratings would recognize Gucci when they saw/heard it, even if they wouldn’t recognize the particular signature elements of the actual fashion or have the means/desire to purchase Gucci products. 

• Like 5

It's just a very season 10 way of writing.  It occurred to them that the spelling of Gucci isn't something they see in other words and thought it was funny.  It's like teenagers getting high humour.  It doesn't translate to anyone else.

• LOL 2

I always felt like that line was playing on Rachel's awkwardness. Clearly, Gucci isn't spelled like Gucky, and the guy working at the restaurant would know who Gucci is, but Rachel's just really bad at making small talk in that moment because she's having jitters. That's how I took it.

If we're going to talk about genuinely bad writing in season ten, there are other examples I can think of. Like Phoebe pulling on Ross' ear because of a hypothetical scenario where Mike is cheating. Doesn't she pull on his ear a second time, after he already made it clear that Mike's not cheating? It reminded me of when Joey and Rachel were talking about which one of their friends they would punch if they had to. If it was me, I would punch literally all of them, but Phoebe would definitely be at the top of the list. 

• Like 1

Oh, there are so many episodes to scrap!  Since it came on just last night (which made me turn off the TV), I add Rachel telling Joey her boss wants to buy her baby near the top of the list.

• LOL 2
1 hour ago, Crs97 said:

Oh, there are so many episodes to scrap!  Since it came on just last night (which made me turn off the TV), I add Rachel telling Joey her boss wants to buy her baby near the top of the list.

Though I did enjoy the boss' HR-approved meeting with Rachel afterwards where he made it clear that he did not, in fact, want to buy her baby.

4 hours ago, mojoween said:

Punky Brewster being abusive is one of those ideas that would have been nice to have been left inside the writers room, never to see the light of day.

Really, just scrap that entire episode.

It's soooooooo dumb, I agree, but I do like

Rachel:  Wow, you look big.
Joey:  Thanks, I've been working out.  Hey, is it obvious that I'm wearing 6 sweaters?
Rachel:  Yeah.  But it's not obvious why.

I don't know, Rachel and Joey are pretty cute together in this (incredibly stupid) subplot.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Crs97 said:

Well, to give it credit, Rachel did acknowledge that the Buy My Baby problem made no sense after Joey commented that he originally thought her problem would be about maternity leave.

• Like 4