Type keyword(s) to search

Friends - General Discussion

• Start Topic

41 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

Brad Pitt played some rock star idol of Ben’s, who was crushed to discover he was an asshole.

I can't believe I'm just finding out about this today.  I watched that whole show back then.

• Love 1
(edited)
14 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I can't believe I'm just finding out about this today.  I watched that whole show back then.

He also played a new student who thought Carol was the most popular girl in school because she was dating the captain of the football team. He flirted with her and asked her out. He almost broke up her relationship with Bobby but Carol found out what he was doing before that happened. 

Eta: sorry I quoted the wrong post. 

Edited by EVS
  • Useful 1

I find it hard to believe that Phoebe would ever have a problem living with Joey. Seems like a missed opportunity having her be slightly out of character in that episode ("The One Where Ross Dates a Student").

Then again, if things had worked out, Rachel wouldn't have become Joey's new roommate and best friend so I guess that was the trade-off. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Mr. Meatball Man said:

I find it hard to believe that Phoebe would ever have a problem living with Joey.

I guess she had a problem with how untidy the actual apartment was. Phoebe's actual apartment was pretty nice (but how she managed to hold onto it, I shall never know).

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Kawaiiko said:

I guess she had a problem with how untidy the actual apartment was. Phoebe's actual apartment was pretty nice (but how she managed to hold onto it, I shall never know).

I said the same thing pages back and someone brought up a good point: Maybe it was rent controlled, like Monica's, and maybe, also like Monica, she got it from her grandmother.

Always thought it ironic how the gang once watched a Three's Company episode, only to have Audra Lindley, the ex-Mrs. Roper, play Phoebe's grandma. As we speculated before, either another actress played Mrs. Roper in the Friends universe, or Phoebe's grandmother had a twin of her own! 😋

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

I think Ross puts Winona Ryder on his top 5 women to sleep with and then she plays Melissa, Rachel's friend from college.  Ross also mentions Susan Sarandon, who plays JESSICA LOCKHART, Joey's costar :) 

Ross: Susan Sarandon.

Chandler: Eh, y'know what, she’s too political, she probably wouldn’t let you do it, unless you donated four cans of food first.

Rachel: All right let me see. (grabs the card) Uma Thurman, Winona Ryder, Elizabeth Hurley, Michelle Pfieffer, and Dorothy Hamill?

Ross: Hey, it’s my list.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Cute pic 

cute.jpg

I don't know why there are so many ******* deleted scenes it's really making me annoyed that they didn't just put this in the show so excuse my anger but UGH!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQRQ3ZRjuV0/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQQ3J63Duwu/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQOhRHrDzJI/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQOLiXdjKD8/

These are hilarious! I esp like the one of Lisa laughing... we need more laughs these days!

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Dorothy Hamill?

I love Rachel’s line about that, it was so dirty: “You know she only spins like that on ice.”

• LOL 6
  • Love 1

Every time my family is surprised I'm awake early...... which is often...... I always want to say

Ross: Hey, what are you doing shopping at eight in the morning?

Rachel: Well, I've been up since six. Thanks to somebody's dumb-ass rooster.

Also good when I'm awaken by something unexpectedly like a fire drill or whatever..... 

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
On 6/18/2021 at 9:33 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

Ross also mentions Susan Sarandon, who plays JESSICA LOCKHART, Joey's costar :)

"Jessica Lockhart will never step foot in this place again!"

"But Jessica doesn't have a British accent."

"I can do a British accent?"

• LOL 2
(edited)
7 minutes ago, Kawaiiko said:

"Jessica Lockhart will never step foot in this place again!"

"But Jessica doesn't have a British accent."

"I can do a British accent?"

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 7/20/2020 at 7:37 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

None of us know how Jennifer Aniston's personality truly is in real life.  That was a point of mine.  That so many armchair critics, for lack of a better term, always seem to fall back on this criticism without having a basis in knowledge of what JA is like at home.  i.e. "She's just playing herself."  To me, that just reads that her portrayal feels so organic, authentic, and real that people desperately want to criticize it and grab onto something that can't be really proven.   From what I can see in how Jennifer is like in interviews - kind of awkward, loves to use cliches, passionate, incredibly sympathetic - to me, this is not how Rachel Green acts.   You can even see that Jennifer in the "Friends" bloopers.  Whenever she works with children, for example, she gets very tender and easily touched.  Rachel wasn't like that until she was forced to be by motherhood.

In the same way I think that "in real life" you can see the differences between the actors and the character.  Lisa Kudrow is a known intellectual that is quick witted and laughs easily, David Schwimmer seems pretty damn serious, Courtney Cox has a much lower voice and seems.a lot more...... "together" than Monica in a certain way, Matt LeBlanc is less goofy and more debonair than Joey, etc.  I'm not sure how to touch on Matt Perry because he seems pretty...... haunted.  

What I’ve heard (and read) is that Jennifer is not always playing herself, but is playing Rachel. I don’t know if that is a fair criticism either. I can’t offer an informed opinion because I only watched a handful of episodes of Friends. I did watch the reunion though and just purchased the first season. I am late to the game but am ready to find out what all the crowing is about. 

One thing that struck me about the reunion is I think they exaggerated how close they are in real life. If they’ve only been together once in 17 years, they aren’t that close. And if I remember correctly Rachel only invited Courtney and Lisa to her wedding to Justin Theroux. So while they may have a natural chemistry on-air that is lasting, I don’t think they’re necessarily best buddies off air in terms of hanging out together and being heavily involved in each other’s lives. The exception to this is probably Courtney and Jennifer, maybe Lisa to a degree.

Jennifer has had good work done but I’m starting to see signs of either an eye job, a facelift or both. Courtney unfortunately is still a fan of filler, which does her no favors. Lisa looks great to me!

Matthew Perry doesn’t looked anything like himself. If he had a facelift, it was a bad one. Or maybe an eye job similar to Kenny Rogers’, in that it feminized his face and made him look strange. 

David Schwimmer has aged the best of all of them IMO. He hardly looks any different! 

Matt LeBlanc is heavier but looks good. 

Edited by Sweet-tea
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, Sweet-tea said:

One thing that struck me about the reunion is I think they exaggerated how close they are in real life. If they’ve only been together once in 17 years, they aren’t that close. 

It was the entire group of six that's only been together once in 17 years. They've said that individually they see each other, some more regularly than others, but they hadn't managed to get all six into the same room at the same time in 17 years.

It is perfectly possible to maintain a strong friendship with someone without meeting regularly. I know I have good friends I only manage to see once in a blue moon, but the moment we do see each other, it's like it was no time at all, the friendship just snaps back into place exactly as it was. I can well imagine it is like that for the Friends.

• Love 13
50 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

That's so terrible, thank you for linking it here and letting us know.

8 hours ago, Llywela said:

It is perfectly possible to maintain a strong friendship with someone without meeting regularly. I know I have good friends I only manage to see once in a blue moon, but the moment we do see each other, it's like it was no time at all, the friendship just snaps back into place exactly as it was. I can well imagine it is like that for the Friends.

Very, very true.  Like the college roommate friendship, just as an example.

David lives in New York and the other 5 of them all live in L.A.  So it was a very good explanation as to why all 6 of them are rarely in the same room.  What with that and with families and kids etc. it makes perfect sense to me.  

• Love 4
On 6/21/2021 at 10:45 AM, Ms Blue Jay said:

That's so terrible, thank you for linking it here and letting us know.

Very, very true.  Like the college roommate friendship, just as an example.

David lives in New York and the other 5 of them all live in L.A.  So it was a very good explanation as to why all 6 of them are rarely in the same room.  What with that and with families and kids etc. it makes perfect sense to me.  

I understand your point and have heard people say that, but I have a different opinion of close friends. In m world, close friends are involved in each other’s lives, there for milestones and stay in touch. Just MO. 

When Chandler is getting upset with Joey for not noticing that Janine was taking over the apartment with her “girly” stuff, he had gone over to Joey’s so they could play video games.

While Joey was getting it ready (remember the days of having to change the aux cables to use your system?) Monica busts in to remind Chandler that it was time to hem the dust ruffles.

So if Chandler knew he had a chore to do, why did he go to Joey’s and make him set up the console?

11 hours ago, mojoween said:

Monica busts in to remind Chandler that it was time to hem the dust ruffles.

I mean, maybe Chandler hates cleaning? He shows several times over the series that he's not a fan of Monica's obsessive cleaning and likes to be more... relaxed, if you will.

• Love 2
(edited)
On 6/22/2021 at 8:20 PM, mojoween said:

When Chandler is getting upset with Joey for not noticing that Janine was taking over the apartment with her “girly” stuff

Also I hated that whole plot line. One of the few moments where I actively was saying (in my head, at least) "Chandler, would you just please shut up?" And how he calls him "Josephine" when he's knitting a pot-holder... just no.

Edited by Kawaiiko
Quotation Marks do not seem to be my friend. And someone once told me my grammar weren't good.
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
50 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

The whole Janine storyline is kind of a bust...

Yeah, I think the Janine storyline was their least enjoyable stunt casting venture. For comparison, the Tom Selleck arc was good and I really liked the Bruce Willis one too. I found the way it ended with Rachel unwittingly unleashing his inner crybaby to be rather hilarious.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

The whole Janine storyline is kind of a bust....  There are some funny parts I guess when she's arguing with Monica :) 

"Happy NO year....." 

And without Janine to invite them along we would never have gotten to see "the routine."  That would have been tragic, although we wouldn't have realized.

• Love 11

Yeah, it's funny that the tale is that Bruce only did that spot because he lost a bet with Matthew Perry, because he's so obviously putting in real effort there.  I didn't realize that Bruce won an Emmy for it.

Rachel and Ross are both really funny in the whole Bruce Willis storyline.  

"I too am a neat guy."  

"Oh.... this dress isn't too ... REVEALING is it.....?"
"No."  

https://screenrant.com/friends-bruce-willis-cameo-explained/

1 minute ago, Katy M said:

And without Janine to invite them along we would never have gotten to see "the routine."  That would have been tragic, although we wouldn't have realized.

Right, the routine is classic.

• Love 7
8 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Rachel and Ross are both really funny in the whole Bruce Willis storyline.  

Bruce himself was pretty good but my favorite part of the whole arc is when Ross tells Rachel that her dating Paul is weird.  She defends herself by saying that Ross dated her sister.  Schwimmer gives maybe my favorite line readying of the entire series when he says, "This is weird FOR ME."  Kills me every time.    

• LOL 2
  • Love 12

One of my favorite parts of that whole storyline was when Ross and Elizabeth were at her dad's cabin, and Paul and Rachel showed up unexpectedly. Ross hid behind the door to the bedroom and Paul walked in, shutting the door behind him and failing to notice Ross just standing there totally out in the open.

So Ross does this AMAZING move to get from standing by the door to under the bed, in one fluid motion. It's great XD

12 hours ago, kariyaki said:

Yeah, I think the Janine storyline was their least enjoyable stunt casting venture. For comparison, the Tom Selleck arc was good and I really liked the Bruce Willis one too. I found the way it ended with Rachel unwittingly unleashing his inner crybaby to be rather hilarious.

It didn't help that, for as stunning as Elle MacPherson is, she couldn't act and was just incredibly bland, until they decided to have her hate Chandler and Monica.

By the way, that was a good storyline idea - Joey starts dating a girl and really likes her, but she gets increasingly irritated by Chandler and Monica (which is understandable, because they both have moments in the show where they openly acknowledge that they can be unlikeable) to the point where she's actively avoiding hanging out with them and it all comes to a head with Joey having to choose. It would have highlighted how insular the Friends were and how settled into their group dynamic they were.

Doing it all in one episode, with a character none of the viewers cared about, was a waste.

3 hours ago, kiddo82 said:

Bruce himself was pretty good but my favorite part of the whole arc is when Ross tells Rachel that her dating Paul is weird.  She defends herself by saying that Ross dated her sister.  Schwimmer gives maybe my favorite line readying of the entire series when he says, "This is weird FOR ME."  Kills me every time.    

It's also a neat summation of Ross and Rachel's entire journey together - 'you're happy with someone else? I don't like it.'

I know in this case it wasn't jealousy but... it normally is.

• Useful 3
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, kiddo82 said:

To be fair to Ross (which I hate to do), as soon as Rachel stopped being passive-aggressive and just told Ross that she didn't want him dating Jill, he didn't.  

The one thing I like about R&R is that one of them isn't the bad guy and the other some martyr-y victim. They're both horrible.  Because after this, when she's pregnant, Rachel tells Ross that she wants to be able to date, but doesn't want him dating and she doesn't want to date him either. She at least, pretty much in the same breath, admits that unreasonable, but she still says it.  

• Love 2
10 hours ago, kiddo82 said:

Schwimmer gives maybe my favorite line readying of the entire series when he says, "This is weird FOR ME."  Kills me every time.    

My favorite part of that scene in the apartment is when Schwimmer croaks out "Oh my gosh I didn't even see you!"

That kills me. 

• Love 1
(edited)
10 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

It didn't help that, for as stunning as Elle MacPherson is, she couldn't act and was just incredibly bland, until they decided to have her hate Chandler and Monica.

By the way, that was a good storyline idea - Joey starts dating a girl and really likes her, but she gets increasingly irritated by Chandler and Monica (which is understandable, because they both have moments in the show where they openly acknowledge that they can be unlikeable) to the point where she's actively avoiding hanging out with them and it all comes to a head with Joey having to choose. It would have highlighted how insular the Friends were and how settled into their group dynamic they were.

Doing it all in one episode, with a character none of the viewers cared about, was a waste.

I agree, it's a great idea, and Elle is just not good enough of an actor.  It was the case of a show getting way too big and feeling like they need a guest star to make things interesting.

Then again, they had humongous guest stars in Season 2, and arguably even Season 1 (the E.R. doctors), so, hmmm.

Elle is a great example of stunt casting.  No acting ability, just a situation for Joey to be bowled over by how hot she was.

It was ALSO a great idea for Joey to meet a woman that didn't fall for his shit.

"How YOU doing?"
"I'm okay"  or whatever she says LOL

I still can't get over the shock of Bruce winning an Emmy.  That feels sycophantic.  He was good, and like I said, he put in real effort, but he wasn't great.  I guess it's just hard for a Hollywood actor to fit in with these 6 seasoned sitcom pros.  It's a weird dynamic.  That's why everyone adores Paul Rudd.  But honestly, I also really adore Hank Azaria with this cast, though he mostly only got to interact with Phoebe.  Tom Selleck was also obviously great.  Some of the others just didn't work so well.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
2 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I still can't get over the shock of Bruce winning an Emmy.  That feels sycophantic.  He was good, and like I said, he put in real effort, but he wasn't great.  I guess it's just hard for a Hollywood actor to fit in with these 6 seasoned sitcom pros.  It's a weird dynamic.  That's why everyone adores Paul Rudd.  But honestly, I also really adore Hank Azaria with this cast, though he mostly only got to interact with Phoebe.  Tom Selleck was also obviously great.  Some of the others just didn't work so well.

Sean Penn and Dermot Mulroney come to mind as ones who didn't quite work for me. Sean was okay since he was supposed to be kind of awkward, but it mostly came off as "here's Sean Penn in Friends" instead of the character he was playing.

I thought Teri Garr worked pretty well, on the other hand.

(edited)

Sean was one of the worst but his storyline was also the worst.  It was so creepy and weird there'd be no way anyone could be okay with it.  Also his character was supposed to be so insanely stupid as to buy what Ursula was selling him.

Dermot was also kind of weird, but I think it grew on me a bit.  I don't really get what they were trying to do, though.  He was supposed to be a jerk, but also kind of a love interest?  Weird.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 6
12 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Also his character was supposed to be so insanely stupid as to buy what Ursula was selling him.

“Top-Secret Elementary School for the Children of Spies,” though. Hee.

• Love 4
(edited)
51 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

“Top-Secret Elementary School for the Children of Spies,” though. Hee.

"It'S a FiLtHy DiSgUsTiNg HaBiT aNd I wAnT yOu To QuIt NoW!"

Lisa Kudrow is wonderful as both Phoebe and Ursula!

Edited by Kawaiiko
  • Love 3

Does Christina Applegate count as stunt casting?  Just because people had heard of her prior it doesn't mean it was necessarily a stunt.  Either way, I think she was one of the best guests they ever had.  It also gave me another great David Schwimmer line reading.  After Amy says she is going to be a baby stylist Ross yells, "That's not a thing!"  I use that line in every day life.

Speaking of guest stars who played relatives of Rachel, I've been watching a lot of That Girl recently on Antenna TV for the first time.  I don't know if the producers did this intentionally, and maybe it's because I simply know what would come later, but I can see a lot of mid-series Rachel in Marlo Thomas' performance of Ann.  Casting her as Rachel's mother was an inspired choice.  

• Love 4

I thought Rachel's entire family (parents and both sisters) were all very well cast. Her dad was a total jerk, but a great foil for her and Ross. One of my favorite moments of his is when he finds out Rachel is pregnant and she tells him Ross is the father. Her: "It's Ross! You like Ross!" Him: *ehhhh*

This, of course, is followed by him confronting Ross in front of Mona, which is perfection.

Hank Azaria’s “ha ha” to Mike (when they were in Barbados, I think) will always make me laugh.

I also giggle when Rachel says that Super Gavin will fly alongside Ralph Lauren’s helicopter.

Speaking of Ralph, was that really him in the elevator?

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, tracyscott76 said:

I thought Rachel's entire family (parents and both sisters) were all very well cast. Her dad was a total jerk, but a great foil for her and Ross. One of my favorite moments of his is when he finds out Rachel is pregnant and she tells him Ross is the father. Her: "It's Ross! You like Ross!" Him: *ehhhh*

This, of course, is followed by him confronting Ross in front of Mona, which is perfection.

The word "perfection" is not an overstatement when referring to that scene.

Dr. Green:  Oh really?  That's how you treat a friend?  You get her in trouble and then you refuse to marry her?

Ross:  Hey, I offered to marry her!  (turns to Mona who is aghast)  But I didn't want to.

I also too love the dinner scene between Dr. Green, Rachel, and Phoebe in the same ep.  ("Well, yes and no.  Except not no.  So, to sum it up, yeah.")  Every year former college roommate and I text each other on February 2nd about Rachel's fake wedding at the plaza.  Another annual inside joke I have with myself pertaining to Rachel's dad is when it's time to renew my renter's insurance I say to myself "What if someone steals something?  How am I going to run after them with one leg shorter than the other?"  

Edited by kiddo82
  • LOL 9
  • Love 2
(edited)

When Amy first visits I think the dialogue is incredibly stupid and Christina Applegate is not great at reciting it.  It really wasn't my humour at all.  Just saying mean and dumb things for shock value.  But no surprise considering it's later seasons "Friends".

When the turn was so critically acclaimed I felt like Mugatu - like this?  This is seriously what you're praising?  But I think by the second episode I kind of let it all wash over me and that episode might be funnier.  Because Monica is the crazy plate lady. 

Chandler: "If Crazy Plate Lady ... I mean, if Monica...."  

I like when Amy dumps her boyfriend and shows up at Ross and Rachel's to crash.

Amy:  "I'm Erin Brockovich!" 
Rachel:  "But Erin Brockovich had her OWN apartment." 

I'm laughing just thinking about it.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1

I was never a fan of Amy, both the writing and the acting. It just feels like Amy should be aware of how stupid she is but it doesn't happen. She made Joey look like a brain surgeon, in episodes where he forgot to appear in the Thanksgiving Day parade and was unable to write an adoption letter for Chandler and Monica without sounding like a child.

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, Mr. Meatball Man said:

I was never a fan of Amy, both the writing and the acting. It just feels like Amy should be aware of how stupid she is but it doesn't happen. She made Joey look like a brain surgeon, in episodes where he forgot to appear in the Thanksgiving Day parade and was unable to write an adoption letter for Chandler and Monica without sounding like a child.

She's never heard the name Phoebe before?  That kind of thing isn't funny to me.  She doesn't know her own niece's name?  

Also, this is really petty, but when Christina is introduced and she does that long pause to wait for the cheers and applause, LOL.  It's so awkward.

I do like Christina in "Dead to Me" though.  Maybe the only time I've ever liked her.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Sean was one of the worst but his storyline was also the worst.  It was so creepy and weird there'd be no way anyone could be okay with it.  Also his character was supposed to be so insanely stupid as to buy what Ursula was selling him.

Perfect material for Sean Penn, then.

Honestly, any storyline about Phoebe and Ursula was more of a bummer than anything else. Because Ursula was written as a stone cold sociopath and actually quite scary in her utter lack of empathy or human warmth.

We had Joey and Ursula, which at least ended on a sweet note with Joey and Phoebe, Sean Penn, the stalker played by David Arquette, the porn thing. 

Also, I still don't get the backstory for them as sisters and how it can reconcile with Phoebe living on the streets. None of Phoebe's stuff really makes sense.

2 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

When Amy first visits I think the dialogue is incredibly stupid and Christina Applegate is not great at reciting it.  It really wasn't my humour at all.  Just saying mean and dumb things for shock value.  But no surprise considering it's later seasons "Friends".

When the turn was so critically acclaimed I felt like Mugatu - like this?  This is seriously what you're praising?  But I think by the second episode I kind of let it all wash over me and that episode might be funnier.  Because Monica is the crazy plate lady. 

Chandler: "If Crazy Plate Lady ... I mean, if Monica...."  

I like when Amy dumps her boyfriend and shows up at Ross and Rachel's to crash.

Amy:  "I'm Erin Brockovich!" 
Rachel:  "But Erin Brockovich had her OWN apartment." 

I'm laughing just thinking about it.

I think Christina Applegate often seems too smart for the dumb dialogue she's asked to recite. Not just in Friends, but in other things too. I don't know if it's because she looks like the ditzy blonde stereotype or what, but it doesn't really work that well.

Amy would have been interesting if she was written as smarter, more of a cutthroat 'I want daddy's money' type than being the same kind of oblivious as Jill.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, kiddo82 said:

I also too love the dinner scene between Dr. Green, Rachel, and Phoebe in the same ep.  ("Well, yes and no.  Except not no.  So, to sum it up, yeah.") 

"I'm so sorry I can't make it to your imaginary wedding. I have a unicorn baptism and a leprechaun bar mitzvah."

10 hours ago, kiddo82 said:

After Amy says she is going to be a baby stylist Ross yells, "That's not a thing!"  I use that line in every day life.

Oh yes. I use this all the time with my family- along with Phoebe's line "Get your garlic peelers off me." (from when she's singing outside Javu)

• LOL 1
  • Love 2