Type keyword(s) to search

Friends - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I think I might go stream Man with a Plan, if I can find it. 

Oh God, spare yourself. I can't believe LeBlanc went from such a smart show like Episodes to such a dumb show like Man with a Plan. The real irony is that Episodes was about a show that got run through the network TV assembly line and ended up being the most puerile, bland, paint-by-the-numbers TV sitcom you could imagine. And then LeBlanc ends up on Man with a Plan which is . . .  the most puerile, bland, paint-by-the-numbers TV sitcom you could imagine.

Statistical analysis and data reconfiguration?

Yes. It's sort of fascinating how many things they didn't know or got wrong. We did know what Chandler did - it was a major plot point when he decided to change careers. 

• Love 2

The reason I think the fat Monica scenes worked was that Courtney Cox despite being thin and beautiful is a very earthy, funny actress. So you see how fat Monica and thin Monica  are basically the same person -- insecure, neurotic, a nice person.

In fact I think the warmth of all the Friends actors made many un-PC jokes work. None of the characters seemed to have any real meanness and that was important. 

As for Matthew Perry I worry about him. 

• Love 10

I didn't realize we got HBOMAX until Mr. P informed me of it today!  We are excited for  tomorrow - our local pub trivia is reopening with a Friends themed trivia night!  I was avoiding reading here until I was able to watch it.  I really enjoyed it - my one nitpick was that Phoebe should have nitpicked Lady G's version of Smelly Cat 😄 

On 5/30/2021 at 6:53 PM, Mr. Meatball Man said:

I think Matthew's problem is he always wanted to be famous, always wanted to be "that guy," but then he got the opportunity and had a hard time dealing with everything that came with it. He always felt like he needed that external validation, and if someone didn't laugh at Chandler's lines, they didn't laugh at him, which meant he wasn't funny or a terrible actor. He put a lot of himself into Chandler, and maybe he couldn't separate Chandler from himself. 

I was reading a Friends magazine (prepping for tomorrow night!) and he said that the first couple seasons were exciting but then once you get everything you worked for the fun lasts for a while and then you realize it doesn't actually fill those holes in you.

On 5/30/2021 at 7:06 PM, memememe76 said:

I didn't realize the show gets so much criticism for its fatphobia. I can under the scrutiny, but I thought the the writers portrayed that part of Monica's life in a very sympathetic light, and Courtney played that part of her character's life with such joy. As someone with my own weight issues when I was younger (I have since lost the weight and kept it up), I "get" Monica. I preferred Monica over a lot of female characters back in that day who ate all of the time and remained thin.

Agree!  It annoys me that she always has a candy bar in her pocket, but she's still funny and certainly not worth getting offended over.  Ditto with most of the gay stuff - it's still funny.  And I doubt every single group of friends was (or is) as diverse as the entire city.  When I was in my early 20s, for a couple of years I had a friend group of 4 girls and 4 guys; this show started just as people started breaking off to get married, and the one girl I am still friends with - when we reminisce we say, "We were like Friends!"  And we were all white. It seems like people all over the world can enjoy the show for fun, without worrying that there aren't enough Indians or Ghanians, so we should be able to as well.

• Love 3

It's not just that all the Friends were white - friend groups can be insular in regards to ethnicity and socioeconomic background - but a lot of their co-workers and the one-off guest stars were also white. How many episodes involve the Friends leaving the apartment and literally never interacting with a person of color? At best, you might see a black person way in the background. I really don't think casting went out of their way to only cast white people for the extras but they sure didn't make much of an effort to cast non-white people. 

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, Mirabelle said:

It's not just that all the Friends were white - friend groups can be insular in regards to ethnicity and socioeconomic background - but a lot of their co-workers and the one-off guest stars were also white. How many episodes involve the Friends leaving the apartment and literally never interacting with a person of color? At best, you might see a black person way in the background. I really don't think casting went out of their way to only cast white people for the extras but they sure didn't make much of an effort to cast non-white people. 

I'm grateful to the creators for the show, but they had some very very narrow ideas about things. You add in the fact that they allowed the writers to be so vulgar that certain writers felt alienated and disgusted and harassed and it does not speak well of them.

1 hour ago, princelina said:

It seems like people all over the world can enjoy the show for fun, without worrying that there aren't enough Indians or Ghanians, so we should be able to as well.

We don't sit there and "worry" but we do crave representation.  I think it's normal to.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Mirabelle said:

I don’t really agree there. Chandler had some black bosses and co-workers. Off the top of my head, the boss who worried about the ANUS, one of his co-workers that was no longer Chandler’s friend when he got promoted, the boss at the ad agency... Ditto for Monica, one of her co-chefs at her first job was played by Jenifer Lewis, who I’ve always remembered because she’s hilarious... I mean, yeah, it’s a fairly white show but it’s not really fair to say it’s totally white.

• Love 6
(edited)

Looking back on the show, I would say that yes, it wasn't as diverse as it could have been, but also it wasn't as bad as people make it out to be. I guess.

This was an interesting (if incomplete) list. I forgot Aunt Viv guested on the show. Also I wish they had addressed if Rhonda and Pudding Cup were ever able to salvage their friendship.

Edited by Hiyo
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
34 minutes ago, Hiyo said:

I wish they had addressed if Rhonda and Pudding Cup were ever able to salvage their friendship.

Aw, I totally forgot about Rhonda!

image.gif.4f1e6b12f62422b76b2ec4cb6ed8beea.gif

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
On 5/29/2021 at 10:49 PM, LexieLily said:

Except now I won't be able to watch TOW No One's Ready without knowing that is how Matt LeBlanc broke his arm/shoulder.

He didn't break it, he dislocated it. Not as bad.

On 5/30/2021 at 10:00 AM, LAgator77 said:
On 5/30/2021 at 3:22 AM, himela said:

In this particular instance there was no production or acting. The writers did not write anything, the director did not direct anything, the actors did not act, the producers did not produce.

You clearly have never worked in television and have no idea what you’re talking about. The Friends Reunion did not spontaneously happen. Producers, writers, actors, the director, and hundreds of other crew members worked very hard on this project, made even more difficult with Covid restrictions. They all deserved to get paid for their work. 

Yeah, I don't think the re-created trivia game wrote itself and set itself up.

Even shows like Big Brother have a surprising amount of scripted bits and production. Otherwise, the finished product would be a chaotic mess.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 6/2/2021 at 2:58 AM, kariyaki said:

Aw, I totally forgot about Rhonda!

image.gif.4f1e6b12f62422b76b2ec4cb6ed8beea.gif

On 6/2/2021 at 8:38 AM, Kawaiiko said:

“I GAVE YOU MY SNACK PACK!”

"I SHARED MY PUDDIN' WITH YOU, MAN!" I love that entire scene.

I think that they writers TRIED addressing the "whiteness" of the show in later season (when they were HEARING the criticism). First, Joey and Ross fight over Gabrielle Union, and then they both actually date Aisha Tyler.  Union was a one episode thing, but Tyler stuck around for a few, including Barbados. Yeah, there definitely could have been more. Julie was basically THE Asian representation.

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
(edited)

I finally had the time to watch this, and I am really glad I did, it was so much fun to see the cast reuniting. I am very salty that we missed out on Jennifer trying out the trifle though, come on HBO Max give the people what they want! 

"That's a lot of information to get in thirty seconds..."

It took me ages to get through this because I kept going to YouTube to watch the bits they kept mentioning! This really did make me appreciate the cast even more than I already did, they do so much to add to the comedy of every situation. The pivot scene really is a good example, on paper it probably doesn't seem like much, but David Schwimmer is just so committed to the bit that it becomes gold. 

Lisa really slipped effortlessly back into Phoebe didn't she?  

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

Lisa really slipped effortlessly back into Phoebe didn't she?  

She really did and it was a highlight of the show. "MY EYES! MY EYES!"

Did anyone else notice that the questions in the Quiz did NOT match the categories? Ancient History being the only one that made sense because it's ALL Ancient History, now. 

It's All Relative was a question about Mr. Heckles, that I cannot believe the girls forgot. You knew LeBlanc was chomping at the bit. He knew. Also a question about the Identical Hand Twin.

Literature was about "SEVEN!"

Fears and Pet Peeves was about Richard. 

It bugged me. I'm a Monica. With a bit of Chandler's habit of cracking jokes in tense situations. 

• Love 3
On 6/1/2021 at 4:20 PM, iMonrey said:

I can't believe LeBlanc went from such a smart show like Episodes to such a dumb show like Man with a Plan.

And Jenna Fischer was right there with him. At least until she got the boot.

Money talks, I guess.

I finally got around to watching the reunion and I loved it.   I didn't think any of the guest celebrities took anything away from the reunion.  Their appearances were very brief.  I especially enjoyed Lady Gaga singing Smelly Cat with Phoebe.

I highly recommend it to anyone who enjoyed (and still enjoys)  watching Friends.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Hiyo said:

There were a couple of others, but I’d say Julie was the only one of merit.

I wish we'd gotren an update on Julie and Russ. Ross could have run into them at a paleontology convention. I really loved everyone's reaction to Russ.

Monica; See! It's a different as night . . . and later that night.

• LOL 4
20 hours ago, ChicksDigScars said:

Did anyone else notice that the questions in the Quiz did NOT match the categories?

I actually wasn't paying attention to that... 

I like to think I am half Chandler half Phoebe (early season Phoebe, duh)

Early season Phoebe still cracks me up.

Rachel: "Has anyone seen my engagement ring?"

Phoebe: "Yeah, it's beautiful."

Later....

Joey: "When were you last wearing it?"

Phoebe: "Doy, probably right before she lost it."

On 6/2/2021 at 2:24 AM, Hiyo said:

Looking back on the show, I would say that yes, it wasn't as diverse as it could have been, but also it wasn't as bad as people make it out to be. I guess.

This was an interesting (if incomplete) list. I forgot Aunt Viv guested on the show. Also I wish they had addressed if Rhonda and Pudding Cup were ever able to salvage their friendship.

Yeah, it's kind of annoying how incomplete that list is. The first ones that immediately came to mind were Carol's obstetrician (who I think was the actual first black character on Friends, in the second episode, not Jenifer Lewis in the third) and Phoebe's, who told her she was having triplets ("Doctors are wrong all the time.")

But yeah, the Asian representation was a lot/even spottier. Hoshi, Pete's ultimate fighting trainer; Chandler's co-worker who wanted to get smacked on the butt by their boss in the same episode; Amy Hill as the loud-sex-having neighbor who wanted candy...

Thinking about all the guest stars reminds me of all the interviews I've read with some of them over the years. I always enjoyed Amy Hill's with The AV Club, where one of the things she talks about is doing the show:

AVC: You were also on an episode of Friends, and that’s certainly another show that people still watch today.

AH: They do and, not once a week but maybe once a month, somebody will say, “I love you on Friends!” Because people still watch that.

I think that might have been an offer, too. This is interesting. You’re picking all the things people offered. But that one was the first time I was on a super, super huge hit, and it was towards the end. Jennifer [Aniston] was going out with Brad Pitt. So I remember Brad Pitt being around.

All of the regular actors weren’t there, so we rehearsed with stand-ins all week. It was so weird because I was like, “Aren’t the regular people coming at some point?” But they were busy with their career stuff. They were running around. I don’t know what they were doing. Looking good, probably. David Schwimmer was the director, and he was really sweet and wonderful to work with. The day before taping, when they do camera blocking, that’s when the actors came in, and they all knew their lines, they all knew what they were doing and they just kind of did it. I think they maybe pre-shot a few things, and then we taped it.

It was like a machine. They came in, did their thing, but they only had to do two days a week. And at that time they were getting a million dollars an episode. I thought, “Well, that’s the way to do it.” I want to be on a show that’s a hit and only have to come in a couple of days a week. And they were good!

AVC: Some of those multi-camera sitcoms are really just machines.

AH: They know what they’re doing. The actors know their characters and the writers know how to write for them, so it’s not like they have to work on that.

Even on this kids’ show that I’m doing, the writing is really good. When the writing is good and it suits your character, you don’t have to memorize anything, because it just makes sense. You read it and you go, “Oh, that makes sense.” And it’s easy.

That’s how I feel on these shows that have been around for a long time. It’s not hard to work. It’s the joy of moving the character forward in the story.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, TheOtherOne said:

Yeah, it's kind of annoying how incomplete that list is. The first ones that immediately came to mind were Carol's obstetrician (who I think was the actual first black character on Friends, in the second episode, not Jenifer Lewis in the third) and Phoebe's, who told her she was having triplets ("Doctors are wrong all the time.")

Yeah that list is missing a bunch of people. There's a black waitress at Central Perk during the first 2 seasons. She gets one line at some point. There's the guy who works at the transportation department when Joey and Chandler lose Ben. Alaina Reed Hall from Sesame Street was in the episode with George Clooney. And how did they miss Ron Glass as Ross's lawyer?

On 5/31/2021 at 8:42 AM, Ms Blue Jay said:

I liked Studio 60 also.  I don't remember being able to get into his other shows, but I definitely tried at least the pilot of all of them.  I watched Studio 60 all the way through and I would have watched more if it stayed on the air.  I think the popularity of 30 Rock at the same time (and about the same topic) crushed it.  I gotta wonder if Aaron Sorkin hates Tina Fey ;). 

I think the difference was that Fey knew the world she was writing about and Sorkin didn't.  Much of Studio 60 didn't ring true to me.  Sarah Paulson is a good actress, but she did not come across as the comedy genius the show said she was.  And that whole HMS Pinafore "apology" sketch?  Eye-rolling.

On 6/1/2021 at 8:24 AM, Danny Franks said:

But I do think [Matt] and Lisa are the ones aging the most naturally and still look the best. 

Definitely true for Kudrow, but I think Schwimmer looks best among the men.  Matt could take some work-out lessons from him.  ;-)

I love Kudrow's interviews about Friends for EmmyTVLegends.  This is probably the one to start with. She's obviously a smart woman and very thoughtful about her work.  She also seems very grounded.  Interesting that she's the only one of the cast who's had a lasting marriage -- to someone not in showbiz. 

• Love 6
(edited)

The People vs OJ Simpson was amazing, I loved it.  But I couldn't see past Ross.  I think I have a mental block when it comes to David.  

Some of my favourite movies have Lisa Kudrow in them:  Clockwatchers, Romy and Michele, Easy A, The Girl on the Train.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2
43 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

The People vs OJ Simpson was amazing, I loved it.  But I couldn't see past Ross.  I think I have a mental block when it comes to David.  

Some of my favourite movies have Lisa Kudrow in them:  Clockwatchers, Romy and Michele, Easy A, The Girl on the Train.  

I also usually see Ross in any role I see David Schwimmer play but I really think he nailed Robert Kardashian.  Everyone in that cast was great but I would have given the Emmy to David instead of  Sterling K. Brown.

I never see Phoebe in any of Lisa Kudrow's other roles. Not even in Romy & Michelle where she played a similar character while still playing Phoebe.   She was fabulous in the Comeback but that is such a difficult show to watch because her character is so cringeworthy which of course she is supposed to be.  As mentioned by other posters she was also very good in a dramatic role on Scandal.  

With few exceptions Jennifer is usually playing Jennifer but I still find her roles enjoyable.

I don't think I have seen Matt in anything post Friends. But I am going to get Episodes from the library and watch it.

While I liked Courteney in Cougar Town I didn't find her character much different from Monica.   I did think she did a good job in the Scream movies.  

Any role I see Matthew play seems to have a lot of Chandler in them which of course is actually Matthew.  I did like Studio 60 and Go on a lot.  I even liked him in the Odd Couple but he wasn't at the top of  his game.  

• Love 1
9 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

I also usually see Ross in any role I see David Schwimmer play but I really think he nailed Robert Kardashian.  Everyone in that cast was great but I would have given the Emmy to David instead of  Sterling K. Brown.

I never see Phoebe in any of Lisa Kudrow's other roles. Not even in Romy & Michelle where she played a similar character while still playing Phoebe.   She was fabulous in the Comeback but that is such a difficult show to watch because her character is so cringeworthy which of course she is supposed to be.  As mentioned by other posters she was also very good in a dramatic role on Scandal.  

With few exceptions Jennifer is usually playing Jennifer but I still find her roles enjoyable.

I don't think I have seen Matt in anything post Friends. But I am going to get Episodes from the library and watch it.

While I liked Courteney in Cougar Town I didn't find her character much different from Monica.   I did think she did a good job in the Scream movies.  

Any role I see Matthew play seems to have a lot of Chandler in them which of course is actually Matthew.  I did like Studio 60 and Go on a lot.  I even liked him in the Odd Couple but he wasn't at the top of  his game.  

I recently rewatched the first season of Episodes and it was even funnier the second time around. LeBlanc was really, really good. I think Episodes and The Comeback are the best of all the post-Friends work. 

Agree that Kudrow is the most versatile. I was just watching her on Feel Good and she elevates every scene she’s in.

I really liked Go On and thought it was a great show for Perry. He is kind of one note, but the one note he plays is so very damn good and layered. I was super disappointed when Go On didn’t catch on. I feel like Perry was able to stretch his one note a lot there. He’s so talented, it breaks my heart he’s had so many health struggles. 

I love Aniston on The Morning Show. If nothing else, it’s a great showcase for Jen’s amazing hair. 😀 Every so often she slips into Rachel and it makes me smile. 

• Love 2
On 6/6/2021 at 3:30 PM, Inquisitionist said:

I think the difference was that Fey knew the world she was writing about and Sorkin didn't.  Much of Studio 60 didn't ring true to me.  Sarah Paulson is a good actress, but she did not come across as the comedy genius the show said she was.  And that whole HMS Pinafore "apology" sketch?  Eye-rolling.

True. But the Christmas sketch where Santa comes down the chimney to see Chris Hansen and the "To Catch a Predator" crew waiting to question him was hilarious.  Poor Santa couldn't say anything innocent about what he was doing there, that Chris couldn't turn into a big problem for him.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, Stiggs said:

love Aniston on The Morning Show. If nothing else, it’s a great showcase for Jen’s amazing hair. 😀 Every so often she slips into Rachel and it makes me smile. 

I hate the Morning Show because I think Reese Witherspoon is awful and miscast in it so I stopped watching after a few episodes. Jennifer seemed pretty good in it though. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Avabelle said:

I hate the Morning Show because I think Reese Witherspoon is awful and miscast in it so I stopped watching after a few episodes. Jennifer seemed pretty good in it though. 

Omg, Witherspoon’s bad wigs are so distracting I almost quit after episode 3. And she seems to have only 3 facial expressions. Aniston is so much better in her role. 

• Love 1
20 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

The sketches on 30 Rock were deliberately awful too, though.  It's not like they were good.  The actual show was good though.

Yeah, I think Tina was kind of winking at us about the quality of TGS, while Sorkin thought they were writing actually good material for Studio 60.  But this doesn't have a lot to do with Friends.  😄

• Useful 1

I also liked The Comeback and it worked because it was so different from Friends. I also think that Lisa has the most acting range of all the Friends costars. Matt Perry is very good within his fairly limited range (Odd Couple would have worked much better if he had been Felix, as opposed to playing against type as Oscar).

• Love 2
(edited)
On 6/12/2021 at 6:21 PM, Kyle said:

I also liked The Comeback and it worked because it was so different from Friends. I also think that Lisa has the most acting range of all the Friends costars. Matt Perry is very good within his fairly limited range (Odd Couple would have worked much better if he had been Felix, as opposed to playing against type as Oscar).

Lisa Kudrow was fabulous in the Comeback.   

I recently saw Matthew Perry in a mini series about the Kennedy's where he portrayed Ted Kennedy and he was awful.  I don't know if it was filmed during a time when he had some things happening in  his personal life but I've seen him do drama on the West Wing and the Good Wife and he was fine in those roles. And yes he would have been better as Felix.  Although Thomas Lennon was wonderful in that role.  

Edited by ifionlyknew
(edited)

The shortlived sitcom, Go On, was good and a really good fit for Perry. He played a sports talk radio host who lost his wife in a car accident and was sent to grief counselling, where he met and befriended an oddball group of people who had all lost loved ones.

It was funny, but also heartfelt and thoughtful and certainly melancholy at times, with a really good supporting cast.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 8

For fans of Lisa Kudrow, she had a supporting role in an underrated movie, Table 19. It was marketed as a typical rom com, but it's very surprising in it's execution. I highly recommend it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
(edited)

Matthew Perry was excellent in his dramatic turn as a tennis phenom railing against his controlling dad (was there any other kind in the 80’s?) on “Beverly Hills 90210”.  If Brandon hadn’t saved the day, Matthew might have gone splat.

And didn’t he play Carol Seaver’s boyfriend who died from DWI on “Growing Pains”?  Or was that Brad Pitt.

Bringing this back around to Friends, when Monica was talking about the guy at her work who was so funny, it makes me laugh that Joey and Ross pick up pizza and eat it while standing up…without using plates.  

Edited by mojoween
(edited)
4 hours ago, mojoween said:

And didn’t he play Carol Seaver’s boyfriend who died from DWI on “Growing Pains”?  Or was that Brad Pitt.

Yes I believe so. 

4 hours ago, mojoween said:

Matthew Perry was excellent in his dramatic turn as a tennis phenom railing against his controlling dad (was there any other kind in the 80’s?) on “Beverly Hills 90210”.  

He actually was a tennis phenom in Ontario where he grew up, too.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
MISTAKE
38 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Yes I believe so.  No Brad Pitt.  Maybe you're thinking of the fact that Leo DiCaprio starred on that show :) 

Matthew perry was in like 3 or 4 episodes of Growing Pains as Carol's boyfriend.  Brad Pitt was in one episode where he dated Carol.  Carol had some nice boyfriends on that show.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Matthew perry was in like 3 or 4 episodes of Growing Pains as Carol's boyfriend.  Brad Pitt was in one episode where he dated Carol.  Carol had some nice boyfriends on that show.

My sister and I first crushed on Matthew Perry when he was on Sydney when I was in high school. We were all, could he BE any funnier? 🤣 When previews came out for Friends, we were like, the guy from Sydney, Alex P Keaton’s better girlfriend, that cute guy who was on Married With Children, and the really funny pretty girl from The Ben Stiller Show. We were psyched. 💥

One of my favorite things to do when I rewatch old Friends seasons is watching a season finale and premiere back to back, and try to point out all of the different hair, clothes, and in Perry’s case, weight. Monica legit had two different hair colors and cuts the night she got engaged, heh. 

Also, I know Lisa Kudrow would have shorter hair though the years, but why didn’t they just use clip-in hair or something other than some of the terrible wigs? And there seemed to be no rhyme or reason - she just at times had bad wigs. 

Wow have I watched too much of this show. 😅

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

Bringing this back around to Friends, when Monica was talking about the guy at her work who was so funny, it makes me laugh that Joey and Ross pick up pizza and eat it while standing up…without using plates.

I would expect nothing less from Joey TBH...

• Love 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, Katy M said:

Thanks.  When I went to IMDb, it defaulted to his producer filmography, so I couldn't find it.

2 hours ago, Stiggs said:

that cute guy who was on Married With Children,

I remember when Matt LeBlanc was on that show 😁

1 hour ago, Stiggs said:

I mean, it’s how he ate steak at Ross’ second wedding. 🤣

This reminds me of Monica showing everyone how to eat without letting the knife hit her good china plates 😁

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Katy M said:

Brad Pitt played some rock star idol of Ben’s, who was crushed to discover he was an asshole.

• Love 3