Type keyword(s) to search

Friends - General Discussion

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, helenamonster said:

I think Lisa looks great. She's noticeably aged but she wears it well. And she still has amazing hair.

Even when Phoebe got on my nerves in later seasons, I always had a soft spot for Lisa. Mostly because we have the same birthday, but there's just something very warm and sweet about her. And as I've mentioned before, she has the best laugh.

Totally agree.

11 hours ago, supposebly said:

Stupid question perhaps but does HBO want me to subscribe for this? Because despite all my nostalgia, that's not worth it for me.

Yes, they do.  It was supposed to happen closer to when HBO Max first became available to encourage people to subscribe. 

I'm watching mostly because so many years later, it amazes me how much the writers of Friends managed to work in the mannerisms of each actor into the role. So when I see the actors talk, it's a really eerie feeling. Like could Matthew Perry BE any more like Chandler? 

And while I don't think the six have lunch every week I think they do have a nice, unforced bond that's lasted so many years. 

• Love 4
On 5/22/2021 at 10:23 AM, helenamonster said:

I think Lisa looks great. She's noticeably aged but she wears it well. And she still has amazing hair.

Even when Phoebe got on my nerves in later seasons, I always had a soft spot for Lisa. Mostly because we have the same birthday, but there's just something very warm and sweet about her. And as I've mentioned before, she has the best laugh.

I love all the YouTube videos of Lisa/Phoebe laughing.  

On 5/20/2021 at 4:57 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

Way too many facelifts or something.  His father is such a handsome looking older man.  Matthew should have left well enough alone, he has great genes!

I think of him every time I watch Dateline.  Keith Morrison is his stepdad.  I love both of them.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I think Lisa is really funny and I like Jennifer too, but I never liked  Friends that much.  I must be weird.  Most people really like that show.  I’m not sure why it never appealed to me.  

• Love 2
15 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I think Lisa is really funny and I like Jennifer too, but I never liked  Friends that much.  I must be weird.  Most people really like that show.  I’m not sure why it never appealed to me.  

You're not weird.  Everyone has different likes and dislikes.

• Love 3

It sucks that so many reunions happen on services that I don't subscribe to. This should be on NBC which was the original network. 

I know it's all about money. I just don't like it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 13
40 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

It sucks that so many reunions happen on services that I don't subscribe to. This should be on NBC which was the original network. 

I know it's all about money. I just don't like it.

Same; I'm trying to find out a way to somehow get HBO Max for just the day without having to pay for a streaming service I have no intention of using after this.

• Love 4
(edited)

I’m already crying and it’s just the beginning with them saying hi and hugging each other. There are lots of tears. Gah.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 8
(edited)

This was amazing!  I loved it!

I really wish I didn't hear about all of the guest appearances before I saw this.  I have no idea why HBO thought all of the promotion was necessary.  It's just so stupid and self-serving.  It would have been so nice to be surprised by all of those great people from the show instead of knowing it was happening beforehand.  (Not talking about Gaga or Bieber.  Only people that appeared on the original show.)

On a shallow note:  Matt Perry really had one of my favourite beautiful all time faces.  I can't get over how much he's tried to change it.  It hurts.  The rest of them look great.  Courteney looks weird, but what can you do.  At least we were prepared for that.  David, Lisa, Jennifer, and Matt LeBlanc just look fantastic.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 11
56 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

This was amazing!  I loved it!

It was so much better than I thought it was going to be.

I could have lived without the fashion show.

But just hearing them reminisce was great. You can tell they are genuine friends.  Has there ever been another show that was on for some many years without any animosity between cast members? There is real love between the six of them.

59 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

On a shallow note:  Matt Perry really had one of my favourite beautiful all time faces.  I can't get over how much he's tried to change it.  It hurts.  The rest of them look great.  Courteney looks weird, but what can you do.  At least we were prepared for that.  David, Lisa, Jennifer, and Matt LeBlanc just look fantastic.  

Yeah Courteney has had work done. She doesn't look  bad but different enough that you  notice.  Matt LeBlanc is aging well. But David barely looks any older. I swear he looked the same as 18 years ago.  Lisa looks fabulous with the shorter hair. I never liked Phoebe's curls.  And I'm a big Jennifer Aniston fan and she always looks great. And Matthew Perry does look different.  He seemed the most subdued of the six during the special.

This special makes me want to do an entire re watch.

• Love 9
(edited)

I also want to do an entire rewatch after this. So many great storylines and jokes. This show will never get stale IMO. It is wonderful to see them still have chemistry after all this time and how close they are. 

Edited by twoods
  • Love 11
27 minutes ago, ifionlyknew said:

But just hearing them reminisce was great. You can tell they are genuine friends.  Has there ever been another show that was on for some many years without any animosity between cast members? There is real love between the six of them.

I think the GoT cast was pretty tight. 

I'm amazed at how the writers of Friends worked the mannerisms and personalities of the actors into their roles so seamlessly. When Matt LeBlanc talks I sometimes have trouble remembering that it's not Joey. 

• Love 5

I liked this a lot more than I expected to, but I also fast forwarded past several parts where it wasn't the 6 of them. It was fun watching them watch themselves which sounds weird, but it worked for me. I wish they had let the others from the show that cameo'd have maybe more than 1 sentence.

The editing felt a bit over the top, like it kept switching what was being shown every 5 seconds rather than let stuff play out a little. The editing worked for the table read bits, but they were doing it elsewhere which felt jarring.

• Love 2
(edited)

I saw a preview of Matthew Perry saying that if he could go back in time, he'd tell his younger self to do the show another season.  It was when he was sitting in Monica's apartment.  However, on the reunion, I don't remember that being shown.

Oh I guess that was a People interview:

When the cast were asked in an interview with People what piece of advice they'd give their younger self, Perry said: "Do an eleventh season."

Aniston said she wouldn't change anything about the experience and added the cast will "be a family for life."

Edited by Ms Blue Jay

Really wasn't expecting much, but yeah, I really, really enjoyed that. Seeing the genuine camaraderie and affection between them, watching them bounce off each other... even though it was the actors not the characters, the interactions still had the same vibe of the show, and knowing it was real made it even sweeter.

The way David and Jen held on to each other long after that final Ross-Rachel scene technically ended hit me right in the heart.

• Love 13
(edited)

I am watching this right now. I love this so far. 

A few thoughts:

1) Actors of a certain age, please do not, not, not overdo it with the face fillers. You can really tell who OD'ed on the face fillers and who didn;t. 

2) I was a bit bored with the executive producer/creatives interviews. 

3) I loved the recreation of the script readings. That was maybe the best part, to see how they still have the same mannerisms when reading those lines all these years later.

4) I loved the affection between the Friends. Either they're great actors or that comraderie and friendship is real.

5) I'm surprised Reese Witherspoon participated. Am I nuts but wasn't there some BTS drama with her accusing the Friends of being not nice to her?

6) I actually cried when the female from Ghana said that Monica asking Chandler to marry him empowered her to take control of her life and happiness. I never thought of it that way.

Edited by Lady Whistleup
  • Love 10
13 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

5) I'm surprised Reese Witherspoon participated. Am I nuts but wasn't there some BTS drama with her accusing the Friends of being not nice to her?

i think that was just a rumor.  people made up reasons why she was never on the show again.  

• Love 3

I will say as a Reese Stan, that Christina Applegate was the superior sister of Rachel, as the one who bit her. Her constantly forgetting Ella's name. LOL.

• Love 11
(edited)
1 hour ago, Lady Whistleup said:

I've heard this rumour several times, but about Tom Selleck.   I think that Tom just meant that the cast was SO close knit in Season 2 that he felt a little excluded.  And the media took this statement and really ran with it.  As the cast explained they were inseparable for S1/S2.

I think Jen Aniston and Reese Witherspoon are close.  They're costars AND co-exec producers of "The Morning Show".  I would think they get along or why would they choose to work with each other in this way.  They're always promoting the show together.  They seem very supportive of each other.  It's cute that Jennifer Aniston has also been in a couple of movies with Paul Rudd.

I don't want to spoil this for those who haven't had time to see the reunion yet, but the 

Spoiler

craziest reveal was that David and Jennifer had crushes on each other in S1.  They hid this from the media very well.  I had no idea.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 18
13 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I've heard this rumour several times, but about Tom Selleck.   I think that Tom just meant that the cast was SO close knit in Season 2 that he felt a little excluded.  And the media took this statement and really ran with it.  As the cast explained they were inseparable for S1/S2.

I think Jen Aniston and Reese Witherspoon are close.  They're costars AND co-exec producers of "The Morning Show".  I would think they get along or why would they choose to work with each other in this way.  They're always promoting the show together.  They seem very supportive of each other.  It's cute that Jennifer Aniston has also been in a few movies with Paul Rudd.

This makes sense. FWIW I heard the same thing about the Beatles, that eventually their wives and gf's got jealous because the four of them had a tight, symbiotic bond and that the four of them would ice people out. Until uh, Yoko kind of blew that up.

But it was probably necessary for them to be that way to create that famous Friends chemistry. Still today when I see episodes I'm astonished at how they play off each other and make each other funnier. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 1

I loved it. I was laughing and crying so much my dog got worried. Lol 

You can really tell that the 6 of them are real friends. When it was just them talking or doing the table read I felt their camaraderie and they fell right back into their characters. 

They didn't need James Corden he brought nothing to this. And the only non Friends guest star that worked for me was Lady Gaga. It was nice hearing Smelly Cat again. 

I wonder if they had more guest stars planned before the pandemic hit. 

David Schimmer has aged really well. And I had no idea Jennifer and David had a thing for each other, but I love how the rest were like, we knew. 

Yeah, they shouldn't try to revive this show. It is still funny to this day I wouldn't want that ruined. The creators of this show are amazing, Episodes with Matt LeBlanc and Grace and Frankie are great too. So I don't doubt their ability,  but I hope they know the show doesn't need to go on just because it's still loved. 

• Love 11

Oh, that was so well done. My favorite was the evident glee at all the bloopers. 
I did want them to do Lisa Kudrow’s “eeeee” blooper scene, but there were so many good scenes I won’t complain. 
And, Janice, of course! My license plate says, “OMYGAWD,” so you know we were waiting for Maggie. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 13

I really loved it and was crying on and off throughout. I loved the friendship between the six and I really liked the trivia questions! Boy, Elliot Gould and Christina Pickles really look old Just very well done.

• Love 6

They are old- 82 and 86! I think they still look great. Honestly, I thought they were in their 70’s but serves me right for forgetting how old I am and when that show started. 

I couldn’t believe how effortless they were at the table reading, easily slipping back into character. Friends was perfectly cast, and it was nice to see the directors talking about how they found each person and why they were perfect for the role. I could have easily watched another hour or so of this.

Damn it, I really do have to do a rewatch now. So many great scenes that we saw where I want to watch the entire episode again. It’s crazy after how many times I hear Ross scream PIVOT it still makes me laugh my ass off.

• Love 14
10 minutes ago, twoods said:

Damn it, I really do have to do a rewatch now. So many great scenes that we saw where I want to watch the entire episode again. It’s crazy after how many times I hear Ross scream PIVOT it still makes me laugh my ass off.

I feel like David Schwimmer's Ross is the underrated actor of Friends. When I rewatch old episodes I'm amazed at how funny he makes Ross. The other episode that always makes me cry with laughter besides "PIVOT" is the episode where Ross moves in with Joey and Chandler and promptly annoys the hell out of them.

• Love 24

The producers really struck gold with the actors. They got six people who had great chemistry together and were decent people to boot -- how often does that happen in Hollywood? They negotiated together, they did not breathe a word of Matthew Perry's drug issues to the tabloids. That's part of the reason I still have warm fuzzies for this show.

Wish they had shown the "blooper" of Ross playing the bagpipes and Phoebe's "EEEEE" where you can see Jennifer Aniston can't stop laughing, that actually made it into the show.

• LOL 10
  • Love 13
(edited)

Here is a video that will give you the warm fuzzies:

Lisa giggling at every one of Matthew's jokes is true friendship goals. 

Also I'm disappointed they didn't have the cast do "smell the fart" acting. That will never not be funny.

Edited by Lady Whistleup
  • Love 9
(edited)
1 hour ago, Minneapple said:

The producers really struck gold with the actors. They got six people who had great chemistry together and were decent people to boot -- how often does that happen in Hollywood? They negotiated together, 

20-30 years later I still can't get over the story of them negotiating together.  One of the most brilliant gambits of Hollywood, ever.  Notice how so many shows can't make that same move work because of star power, ego, rivalry, etc.

Something else I always think about is Jen and Courteney's friendship.  I am a huge fan of so many shows where the stars didn't get along - Gossip Girl, SATC, The Good Wife, Will and Grace.  It sucks and it stops reboots and reunions like this from happening.

Courteney was a bigger "star" when "Friends" started, and Jen was unknown.  Courteney was supposed to play Rachel but insisted on playing Monica.  Jen was Rachel and BLEW UP as a star.  I'm sure everyone knows this.  The Rachel haircut, becoming a movie star, the Brad Pitt stuff, being labelled as America's sweetheart.  Courteney acts as if she doesn't have a jealous bone in her body and Jennifer doesn't seem to have any rivalry with her either.

You see so many promo materials for "Friends", they put Jen front and centre.  They put her NAKED on one of the DVD covers.  It's just so damn blatant.  It reminds me of the No Doubt video for "Don't Speak" where they showed Gwen being fawned over as the star while her male band-members were ignored by the media.  Yet the other 5 actors never acted resentful towards Jennifer or jealous.  It speaks volumes of all 6 of them that they could handle it.

Jen is naked under a blanket, and only her eyes are open?!  What kind of message is that supposed to send?  LOL it was so over the top and ludicrous!  And I say this as a Faniston!

friends-season4-dvd-600x600.jpeg

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 13
6 hours ago, blixie said:

I will say as a Reese Stan, that Christina Applegate was the superior sister of Rachel, as the one who bit her. Her constantly forgetting Ella's name. LOL.

Emma 😉

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
On 5/21/2021 at 3:28 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

Matt looked like this before COVID, this was November 2019, and this was certainly different

191108141359-courtney-cox-matthew-perry-lunch-super-169.jpg

Matt looks ill & I feel bad for him😔Courtney looks like a plastic surgery nightmare. I’d scream if I ran into her in the dark. 😳 Another woman disfigured by her need to remain “youthful”. 

• Love 1
On 5/22/2021 at 8:44 AM, Hiyo said:

Maybe he is trying to cover up all the damage to his face that all of the drinking and drugs did?

I will say, Matt L, Lisa, and David all aged rather well, without looking like they had tons of work done.

They surely had something done, but that’s a sign of a GOOD plastic surgeon.  Unlike Courtney’s bargain bin doctor. 

• Love 1

Loved it!

Glad that most of the guest stars had (mostly) minimal appearances. 

I just died with laughter when the cast did the table read for "TOW Everyone Finds Out". Also loved how they interspersed clips of the actual show into the table reads.

I actually had to stop myself from reading this thread until I watched it. LOL 😛

Overall it was just really good and much better than I thought it was going to be :)

• Love 14
(edited)
9 hours ago, Minneapple said:

Wish they had shown the "blooper" of Ross playing the bagpipes and Phoebe's "EEEEE" where you can see Jennifer Aniston can't stop laughing,

My favorite part of that (besides EEEEEEEEEE, of course) is how when Ross starts playing and Jen just jumps back, like the noise is physically attacking her or something. That always makes me laugh.

Edited by Kawaiiko
Awkward wording
  • Love 13

I loved how they casually mentioned their families.  David mentioned his daughter has started watching the show. Matt said he was watching TV with his daughter Marina and an episode came on. Lisa said she watches it with her husband Michel.  

One thing I always liked about the cast was even at the height of their fame they still seemed like regular people.  

One of my friends didn't want to watch the special because she hates Justin Bieber. I told her go ahead and watch it. Justin doesn't speak and you can't see his face.

• Love 7

One thing I noticed was how enthusiastic Jen Aniston seemed about reliving Friends. When the show ended it was a different vibe -- she thought she'd become an A-list actress and enjoy like as Mrs. Brad Pitt. Of course her marriage fell apart shortly after the show ended, and she never did become a true A-list actress. She was a great career but it was sweet to see her now acknowledge how much she owed Friends and almost her Friends family.

• Love 2

I thought it was a mixed bag in terms of quality but the highs were very high and that makes me think of it fondly. The truth is those six people have an incredible chemistry and when you put them in a room together you will get moments that are just magic. I laughed so hard at some of those moments back on the set and even at some of the moments during the Corden interview. I'm not a huge fan of his but having someone guide a conversation was good. It was necessary to have some focus.

The thing I would have cut out completely was the "how were they all cast" stuff. I feel like that's been covered many, many times before. I knew all of those stories and it felt very much like a retread of material that already exists. The fashion show was a low point only somewhat redeemed by Matt wearing all of Chandler's clothes again. 

But the bloopers, the table reads and the quiz were all perfection.

I loved Friends when it was new and go through phases of being really into it. I think this reunion is probably about as good as we could have expected. You can't ever recapture the lightning in the bottle but this was pretty close.

• Love 12
19 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

And Matthew Perry does look different.  He seemed the most subdued of the six during the special.

I was moved when Matthew noted that, during the run of the show, he had an obsessive need to get laughs, and that he even felt like he would die if the audience did not respond to a quip. (Tellingly, Lisa, seemingly out of genuine concern, responded by saying that she never knew that.) The reunion ep, almost to illustrate this, also showed the gag where Matthew ran into the coffee shop after Matt LB kept messing up in hitting his marks.

From that perspective, I actually felt kind of glad that Matthew was the most subdued of the six during the reunion. Of course, on some level I wished he was more like the wisecracking Chandler, with a joke a minute. But I took -- I am choosing to take -- his more subdued presence as a sign that Matthew was now being healthier about not needing the constant validation. 

Indeed, it was a nice touch that the show gave him kind of the last word in the episode, with his story about parties ending every time he would run into one of then other five. This was also a nice callback to Matthew having the last word of the regular series ("Where?").

In the end, I just hope that Matthew, and all of the six of them, are happy and well.

• Love 20
4 minutes ago, Corgi-ears said:

I was moved when Matthew noted that, during the run of the show, he had an obsessive need to get laughs, and that he even felt like he would die if the audience did not respond to a quip. (Tellingly, Lisa, seemingly out of genuine concern, responded by saying that she never knew that.) The reunion ep, almost to illustrate this, also showed the gag where Matthew ran into the coffee shop after Matt LB kept messing up in hitting his marks.

That remark about needing the laughs is a very standup comic thing. Which makes sense because Chandler's life story is very much like that of a standup comic -- unhappy childhood, sense of humor becomes an armor. And Chandler the character is most like a standup comic with the wisecracks and sarcastic sense of humor.

I was also moved when Matthew Perry said that the Friends don't always stay in touch on a regular basis, but if they ever run into each other they talk all night and explain to their guests/significant others that it's what they need to do. I feel like that's most real friendships in a nutshell -- you don't need to stay in touch every day or every week. But the bond will always be there.

I also thought of how different the attitude is towards being a TV star was now  vs. then. Nowadays A-list movie stars routinely sign up for TV shows. Back then the stigma of being primarily known for TV work that some actresses had it written into their contracts that if they did promotional work for a movie they could not be asked about their TV gig.

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, Corgi-ears said:

From that perspective, I actually felt kind of glad that Matthew was the most subdued of the six during the reunion. Of course, on some level I wished he was more like the wisecracking Chandler, with a joke a minute. But I took -- I am choosing to take -- his more subdued presence as a sign that Matthew was now being healthier about not needing the constant validation. 

Indeed, it was a nice touch that the show gave him kind of the last word in the episode, with his story about parties ending every time he would run into one of then other five. This was also a nice callback to Matthew having the last word of the regular series ("Where?").

In the end, I just hope that Matthew, and all of the six of them, are happy and well.

The show itself made it clear that Chandler was the wisecracking, attention-hog who always needed to get laughs because he was dealing with his traumatic childhood. I wonder whether that was a complete accident or whether it was something the writers saw in Matthew and introduced to the character.

When watching all those Friends blooper videos, it always struck me that he would have been exhausting to be around at times. Always needing to get in on the laughs or one-up the other castmates. Not out of any malice, but out of his own insecurities.

I haven't had the chance to watch the whole thing yet, just a few bits as I was busy this morning and my girlfriend watched, but I have to say that Lisa Kudrow is really good at this sort of thing. She's appeared on Conan's podcast a couple of times and told great stories about their time as young, would-be comedy performers together.

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

I also thought of how different the attitude is towards being a TV star was now  vs. then. Nowadays A-list movie stars routinely sign up for TV shows. Back then the stigma of being primarily known for TV work that some actresses had it written into their contracts that if they did promotional work for a movie they could not be asked about their TV gig.

They all did movies when they were on Friends. Some more successful than others but I think they all appreciated the work they were doing on the show. I remember reading in one of the Friends books that Jennifer growing up knew she wanted "to get inside that box" meaning the TV.  I think she really enjoyed having a TV series.  The movies I think were just gravy for her.  

• Love 5

I beamed throughout the whole thing. The reunion might not have been a perfect program, but the key thing, the real friendship, shone through. What surprised me and was also touching was how Christina Pickles and Elliott Gould felt like parents to the Friends friends and how the gang regarded them as like parents. How sweet.

• Love 15
(edited)

Yeah, I don't know if I agree that Jen wanted to leave television and just be a movie star considering she's guested on a dozen television shows since "Friends".  And I do think that Jen is A-List.  She has more than enough money that I believe that she picks projects because she wants to do them and not out of some kind of desperation to be relevant.  She keeps working with the same people over and over again deliberately.  She's been in 5 movies with Jason Bateman I think because she's very close with his wife.

I remember an old story about Matthew Perry saying that dating was hard for him because everyone expected him to be Chandler, always making jokes.  He has certainly dated some of the most beautiful women in Hollywood though :)  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 12
30 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

And I do think that Jen is A-List

I think she absolutely is but I don't think she acts like she is if that makes sense. She (and actually all of them) seem very humble about their fame. David suggesting they negotiate as a team and the writers never writing any character as the lead prevented any one of them from being the star of the show.  Jennifer was sincerely happy to see Maggie Wheeler.  I think her friendships run deep.

• Love 8