Type keyword(s) to search

Friends - General Discussion

• Start Topic

15 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

That one just bugs me because I can’t fathom why anyone but Rachel is going to some black tie paleontology lecture of Ross’s.

Me, too.  I could see maybe Monica to keep Rachel company while Ross is otherwise occupied (and support her brother), but sometimes these friends are just too supportive.

• Love 3

They probably got a free dinner out of it.

I liked the real timeness-they had 20ish minutes to get out the door to get there on time, all the action is in one room. A great example of a bottle episode.

Edited by chitowngirl
  • Love 12
On 1/16/2021 at 8:40 PM, Mr. Meatball Man said:

I like that episode, but Rachel singing "Copacabana" near the end was really corny. It felt like I was watching a completely different show. 

I feel like that there was waaaay too much focus on Rachel, who was only the maid of honor for the wedding. IDK why Monica and Richard went either. I thought her singing "Copacabana" was nice, but you are entitled to your opinion.

• Love 3

So, I have a question. Anyone who happens to see this, what's your favorite/least favorite character and why? My personal favorites are Phoebe (early seasons, in later ones she gets super mean) and Chandler, and my least favorite is Joey (he comes off as creepy sometimes, and he's as dumb as a brick especially in the later seasons). 

Edited by YoukaiMoe
One last thing
  • Love 2
38 minutes ago, YoukaiMoe said:

So, I have a question. Anyone who happens to see this, what's your favorite/least favorite character and why? My personal favorites are Phoebe (early seasons, in later ones she gets super mean) and Chandler, and my least favorite is Joey (he comes off as creepy sometimes, and he's as dumb as a brick especially in the later seasons). 

My favorite is Chandler. He's funny and though he's sarcastic, he's actually very nice and he'll do anything for any of them.  I mean, he basically provides all of Joey's financial needs.

My least favorite is Ross. He does have his nice moments.  But, he's annoying, pretentious and kind of a jerk.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

I liked the real timeness-they had 20ish minutes to get out the door to get there on time, all the action is in one room. A great example of a bottle episode.

There are so many good lines.  For me, it's a classic.  What a great idea to have them forced to all be in the same room and all going through different things and all having their own motivations.  Great potential for conflict and humour.

Also, I thought each person acted pretty in character for who they are.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, YoukaiMoe said:

You could read the last few pages here to see a looooooooot of us talk about Phoebe being our least favourite !  😄

Rachel is my favourite, Chandler is an EXTREMELY closed second.  Ross is third.   Then Joey.  Then Monica.  Then Phoebe 😄  No offense.  I agree, Phoebe was really cool in the earlier seasons and oftentimes better than Joey and Monica.  But then things switched pretty badly.  Joey is amazing in Seasons 5-7 and I kind of think that he's the only actor really trying in the latest seasons, maybe besides David Schwimmer.  Matt LeBlanc has said he would have kept the showing going forever (kind of proven by the fact that he took the spinoff, and other sitcoms since then) and that nobody is a bigger fan of Joey than he is 😆

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Katy M said:

Me, too.  I could see maybe Monica to keep Rachel company while Ross is otherwise occupied (and support her brother), but sometimes these friends are just too supportive.

Agreed.  There were lots of funny moments in that episode and David Schwimmer was really chewing the scenery (in a good way) but overall this episode just further cemented my dislike for Ross.  First off we see the amazing entitlement of someone who thinks his very non-academic  friends not only should want to go sit and listen to a paleontology lecture but should have been ready early and sitting on the edge of their seats just waiting to dance attendance on him!  The icing on the cake though was the way he treated Rachel.  Which was bad.  But then in the end the way she caved in to his bad attitude and basically rewarded him for it just killed me.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, Katy M said:

Not me. He comes over hours before they need to be ready and yells at them and they all end up ready in plenty of time.  So, he should have just come over later and everyone would have been happier.

If I remember correctly, he was only there half an hour before they needed to go. I think he was giving a big speech (wasn't it a fundraiser for the museum or something?), so it's understandable that he wants to get there on time, if not early. I don't think he should've yelled at Rachel the way he eventually did, but they were all treating what was an important event for him very cavalierly, so I get how his frustration escalated. (I also would've been a ball of anxiety about getting there myself, so I'm sympathetic.)

I was never a fan of how the group dismissed Ross's job all the time, though. Working in a museum is cooler than being on a soap opera to me!

• Love 7
6 hours ago, Katy M said:

Not me. He comes over hours before they need to be ready and yells at them and they all end up ready in plenty of time.  So, he should have just come over later and everyone would have been happier.

It wasn't hours early - he said how much time they had when he arrived, and it was like 20 minutes!  And frankly if they had done everything in real life that they did in the episode they would have been very late indeed.

• Love 1

Chandler was my favorite.  As mentioned above he was funny and a good guy. And I like Matthew Perry.  

The next three spots can be interchanged between Rachel, Monica and Joey depending on the season or hell even the episode.

I liked Rachel a lot after the fallout from Ross saying Rachel's name at his wedding to Emily.  She was having success with her career and she wasn't tied to Ross and she had a fab wardrobe.

I liked Monica after she got with Chandler.  It was nice to see her happy.  I think they were one of the best sitcom couples ever.  I remember reading an interview with one of the writers and they said after all the drama with Ross and Rachel they wanted Chandler and Monica to be fun and it worked.

Joey to me was a stereotype in season one but Matt Le Blanc turned him into lovable goof of a big brother.  But while I could understand his infatuation with Rachel I loathed the show trying to portray them as a viable couple.  

I like Ross and think David Schwimmer played him so well but some of his storylines made it hard to root for him. The above mentioned smothering Rachel when she got the job with Mark comes to mind.

I don't think Phoebe was written consistently throughout the series. Lisa Kudrow is a great actress but I found most of her storylines not as enjoyable as the other characters.  But she did have some great lines.  

• Love 4
30 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

Agreed.  There were lots of funny moments in that episode and David Schwimmer was really chewing the scenery (in a good way) but overall this episode just further cemented my dislike for Ross.  First off we see the amazing entitlement of someone who thinks his very non-academic  friends not only should want to go sit and listen to a paleontology lecture but should have been ready early and sitting on the edge of their seats just waiting to dance attendance on him!  The icing on the cake though was the way he treated Rachel.  Which was bad.  But then in the end the way she caved in to his bad attitude and basically rewarded him for it just killed me.

Then they should have accepted his invitation!  Since they did they should have been ready to go on time.

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, HawkeyeLo said:

If I remember correctly, he was only there half an hour before they needed to go. I think he was giving a big speech (wasn't it a fundraiser for the museum or something?), so it's understandable that he wants to get there on time, if not early. I don't think he should've yelled at Rachel the way he eventually did, but they were all treating what was an important event for him very cavalierly, so I get how his frustration escalated. (I also would've been a ball of anxiety about getting there myself, so I'm sympathetic.)

I get anxious also.  But, my point was, they were all ready in time, and Rachel even had time to get in a bathrobe and then get dressed again.  To alleviate his nerves he should have just shown up 5 minutes before he wanted to leave.  If nobody was anywhere near ready at that time, he should have just told them he would meet them there.  They didn't actually have to be there for him to go.

15 minutes ago, princelina said:

It wasn't hours early - he said how much time they had when he arrived, and it was like 20 minutes!  And frankly if they had done everything in real life that they did in the episode they would have been very late indeed.

I guess that's why it seemed like hours.  They did all that stuff and still managed to leave on time.

16 minutes ago, Katy M said:

If nobody was anywhere near ready at that time, he should have just told them he would meet them there.  They didn't actually have to be there for him to go.

I get that we wouldn't have had an episode without Ross being there slowly losing his mind at the antics of the others but this was what I didn't understand.  Did it matter that the others go with him?  I haven't seen this episode is awhile so maybe there was an explanation that I'm missing.

• Love 2

You guys are making me think so much about "The One Where No One's Ready".  LOL.  I want to keep enjoying it.

Ross should have went to the benefit on his own and let his friends meet him there.  Yes.  I agree with that.

BUT

Ross did not trust his 5 friends to make it there on time and support him and be in the audience for his speech, which is how the plot of the episode happened. Ross came to ensure everyone would be "ready" and so they could arrive together.  It seemed like this was important to him.  I think that he was nervous and maybe he felt like his 5 BFFs being there would help him.  Although, at the end of the episode he claims he only cared about Rachel being there, which a) is kind of an asshole comment b) then why the hell did you act so crazy about the other 4?  And I think that it would make sense for him to want his sister there.  My brother would want me to be there.

It's obviously a weird, convoluted premise for the sake of doing a fun bottle episode.  I really liked it.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, WinnieWinkle said:

Did it matter that the others go with him?  I haven't seen this episode is awhile so maybe there was an explanation that I'm missing.

I don't remember if it's explicitly explained, but this is how I think about it above.  For 95% of the episode Ross acts like the world is ending if all 6 are not ready at the same time.  For the last part of the episode Ross suddenly says that he only cared about Rachel going (rude) and "Oh, we can be a little late" (a joke to highlight how sexy Rachel is, LOL.). 

3 hours ago, princelina said:

Then they should have accepted his invitation!  Since they did they should have been ready to go on time.

The point that the other Friends were making is that they would totally be ready on time.  There are some people who are early birds and there are some people who are procrastinators/last minuters and there are perpetually late people.  I don't remember if Ross highlighted what time they should be ready, but they said that they would be (and they were) but Ross didn't "trust" it and wanted to visually see people getting ready to satisfy him.

It's like when I was a kid growing up and I had a bunch of chores.  My mother wanted to see me doing them and trust me she didn't want to hear that they would get done later.  They're both control freaks.  Ross should have gone on his own, because the visual of people not getting ready drove him crazy but it's not exactly rational.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

I sort of have to side with Ross with "The One Where No One's Ready". Growing up, no matter the family function, my mom's side of the family was ALWAYS late. Be it to go shopping at the mall, family parties, whatever. Got so that my mom would give some an earlier time for something so they'd actually arrive when they should. And she would fume and my dad, my brothers, and I would just tell her that she knows their habits and they won't change, so why get upset, etc. But it would annoy her, and I understood.

Always sort of fascinated and mystified me at the same time because my mother was ALWAYS punctual, or even early and made sure her kids were, too. Yet her sisters and parents were forever late. (I say with love.)

I joked with her once and asked if she was adopted as she stood out in her family...

• Love 6

I took Ross’ comment that he only cared about Rachel being there was the kind of thing you say to your significant other but isn’t really literal. Like saying “you are my whole world “. I think Ross probably bought or reserved a table and they were coming to see their friend speak. Sort of like they all went to Joey’s plays.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

ROSS: You know what I don't care. The only person I cared about getting dressed, is the one person that says she's not even gonna go. Look Rach, I'm sorry. Okay. Look, I-I wa, I was a jerk. I'm sorry I yelled. I want you there, I need you there. Look, what, what can I do that can show you how much, how much I want you to be there.

To me it's an extra annoying comment after he spent 30 minutes haranguing everyone to obey his orders.  

Maybe the other 4 didn't want to go but they agreed to go to support Ross.  In turn, he could act a little nicer about it.

Joey and Chandler are immature (in their 20s!) and acting totally in character by playing games with one another out of boredom and rebellion.

Rachel only wanted to look her absolute best all in service to Ross - not for herself.  But to make Ross look good.  

Monica was heartbroken/post break up.

And Phoebe didn't do anything wrong.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

The point that the other Friends were making is that they would totally be ready on time.  There are some people who are early birds and there are some people who are procrastinators/last minuters and there are perpetually late people.  I don't remember if Ross highlighted what time they should be ready, but they said that they would be (and they were) but Ross didn't "trust" it and wanted to visually see people getting ready to satisfy him

I don’t think they are showing they will be ready on time at all. They are all wrapped up in their own stuff. When he talks about getting to the event on time, they just blow him off. It makes me mad on his behalf and if I was him I would be just like, “Forget it! Thanks for nothing! I’m going with all of you jerks since you obviously don’t care about this thing that’s important to me.”

I know how frustrating it is to set a time to be ready to go, and the other person shows no interest/urgency. In the past, for example, me and my sister have made plans to go to a movie, and set a time to leave. My sister will agree to the time, only to be getting into the shower 5 min before, making us late.

• Love 4

Apropos of the thread:

What late people don’t understand ... is that it’s so easy to be on time. You just have to be early and early lasts for hours. And on-time just lasts A SECOND and then you’re late ... forever.

Mike Birbiglia, Thank God for Jokes

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, MadyGirl1987 said:

I don’t think they are showing they will be ready on time at all. They are all wrapped up in their own stuff. When he talks about getting to the event on time, they just blow him off. It makes me mad on his behalf and if I was him I would be just like, “Forget it! Thanks for nothing! I’m going with all of you jerks since you obviously don’t care about this thing that’s important to me.”

I agree that they were wrapped up in their own stuff and the guys and Monica didn't really care about Ross's event - but the thing is why should they?  Ross expected a level of interest and enthousiasm from them that was over the top.  When he realized they were goofing off (the guys) or immersed in their own woes (Monica) then he should have backed off and given them the chance to just not go without it being a big deal.  That aside though it was his treatment of Rachel that went beyond "Ross is acting crazy, right or wrong let's laugh at this situation".  

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, HawkeyeLo said:

I was never a fan of how the group dismissed Ross's job all the time, though. Working in a museum is cooler than being on a soap opera to me!

Yeah! I hated how whenever Ross went on about anything about paleontology (did I spell that right?) or anything remotely scientific, the whole group was just like *sleeping noises*. I never liked that. That stuff is interesting to learn about! They could stand a chance to learn some things! The girls don't even know that we fought Germany, Austria-Hungary, and the Ottoman Empire in WW1! (I am not trying to sound braggy or anything, so I'm sorry if I come off like that.)

Edited by YoukaiMoe
  • Love 6

They're all pretty bad about Joey's acting, and Phoebe's singing, too.  I don't think it's just a science thing.  I don't even remember them dining at any of Monica's restaurants when she's actually cooking.  Except for Rachel at that 50's diner?  (Edit, I forgot that they all went there, to play the jukebox actually.)  Although they do love Monica's cooking for Thanksgiving.  Chandler and Monica have probably been listening to Ross geek out about science for 20-30 years when the pilot starts.  And of course Joey wouldn't be interested.

Of course I love dinosaurs, eclipses, space, etc. that's normal.  I think many people do.  But I do have a friend who is very into astronomy and when we're looking at the stars and he's going on and on about it it definitely goes over my head.  I think a lot of us like this stuff because it's so beyond us and cool but if we were actually "lectured" on it for a long time maybe it would be more difficult.  It's not our jobs.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, YoukaiMoe said:

The girls don't even know that we fought Germany, Austria-Hungary, and the Ottoman Empire in WW1! (I am not trying to sound braggy or anything, so I'm sorry if I come off like that.)

I don't really like how the show portrayed the only 2 book-smart "intellectual" people on the show as being men.  I think it's a very 90's way of thinking.  And isn't "The Big Bang Theory" like that too?  A bunch of male nerds, and Penny?  Women are hot, men are smart?  It's just such old-school mentality.  And yes, I know Joey exists, but it still bothers me.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 5
6 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I don't really like how the show portrayed the only 2 book-smart "intellectual" people on the show as being men.  I think it's a very 90's way of thinking.  And isn't "The Big Bang Theory" like that too?  A bunch of male nerds, and Penny?

Who was the other guy who was book smart?  Chandler?  With regard to BBT they do show female scientists quite often and of course Bernadette and Amy who are love interests/eventually wives of two of the main characters are also scientists.  But I agree with you, despite that, the show does revolve around the idea of male nerds and Penny who is non 'sciency" and often portrayed (depends on the episode) as really really dumb.  Maybe not Joey level dumb, but dumb.  

• Useful 1

I don't watch TBBT but that's definitely my impression of the show.  Chandler and Ross are both portrayed as the intellectual book-smart people on the show.  Ross is an intellectual, a professor, and Chandler is the only white-collar worker besides him.  Chandler is smart, he's sarcastic, he's cutting, sardonic, he makes fun of people for making dumb mistakes, he works with numbers, he's highly paid and successful.  Rachel is a fashion executive in the later seasons of course.  But didn't Rachel and Monica also go to college?  Yet they're portrayed as people who didn't, if that makes sense.  

• Love 4
26 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I don't even remember them dining at any of Monica's restaurants when she's actually cooking.  Except for Rachel at that 50's diner?  Although they do love Monica's cooking for Thanksgiving. 

Actually, Monica worked at Iridium in Season 1 (and the first part of Season 2) before she got fired for the whole steak scandal. In Season 7, waaaay after she's fired, Phoebe and Joey go there to have dinner (this is when David comes and she only has a few hours to see him). I know this doesn't really count, but I thought this was a fun anecdote anyways.

• Useful 3
1 hour ago, YoukaiMoe said:

Yeah! I hated how whenever Ross went on about anything about paleontology (did I spell that right?) or anything remotely scientific, the whole group was just like *sleeping noises*. I never liked that. That stuff is interesting to learn about! They could stand a chance to learn some things! The girls don't even know that we fought Germany, Austria-Hungary, and the Ottoman Empire in WW1! (I am not trying to sound braggy or anything, so I'm sorry if I come off like that.)

Yet, Rachel watched a documentary on the Korean War and either Chandler or Joey (I forget which) watched a documentary on jellyfish.

• LOL 2
5 minutes ago, YoukaiMoe said:

Actually, Monica worked at Iridium in Season 1 (and the first part of Season 2) before she got fired for the whole steak scandal. In Season 7, waaaay after she's fired, Phoebe and Joey go there to have dinner (this is when David comes and she only has a few hours to see him). I know this doesn't really count, but I thought this was a fun anecdote anyways.

Wow.  I never would have noticed that.  

I think the Friends all dine at Iridium WITH Monica, right?  Before she's fired?  And Phoebe does play guitar outside Monica's really fancy restaurant in a very late season, maybe season 10.  But I was trying to think of the Friends actually dining AT Monica's place of work WHILE she's actually cooking and I could only think of the 50's diner, and come to think of it, perhaps Monica was a server there but not a cook?

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Useful 2
5 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Yet, Rachel watched a documentary on the Korean War and either Chandler or Joey (I forget which) watched a documentary on jellyfish.

It was Ross who watched the thing on jellyfish, actually. I haven't watched Season 4 in a while, so I'm not sure who watched the Korean War documentary.

4 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Wow.  I never would have noticed that.  

I think the Friends all dine at Iridium WITH Monica, right?  Before she's fired?  And Phoebe does play guitar outside Monica's really fancy restaurant in a very late season, maybe even 10.  But I was trying to think of the Friends actually dining AT Monica's place of work WHILE she's actually cooking and I could only think of the 50's diner, and come to think of it, perhaps Monica was a server there but not a cook?

When you watch a show or a movie many times, you start to notice the details. XP

I'm not sure about them eating at Iridium. Phoebe plays her guitar outside of Javu in Season 9. Classic moment. "Huuuuuummannn spleeeeeeeen." I think Monica was maybe a server at the Moondance Diner, but IDK. I have to rewatch the early seasons!

Edited by YoukaiMoe
  • LOL 2
Just now, YoukaiMoe said:

t was Ross who watched the thing on jellyfish, actually. I haven't watched Season 4 in a while, so I'm not sure who watched the Korean War documentary.

Ross watched it, too, but either Chandler or Joey also watched it and that was how they knew that Chandler had to pee on Monica.

• Useful 3

@Ms Blue Jay Did you mean them eating at Iridium when she gets promoted to "head lunch chef, in charge of purchasing, who has her own little desk when Roland's not there" etc?

Also @Katy M I think that it was probably Joey who watched the documentary... IDK why I think it's him but I just remember it like that.

Edited by YoukaiMoe
Grammar error
  • Useful 2
1 minute ago, YoukaiMoe said:

@Ms Blue Jay Did you mean them eating at Iridium when she gets promoted to "head lunch chef, in charge of purchasing, who has her own little desk when Roland's not there" etc?

That's what I thought happened.  Ross is trying to toast her, and she keeps interrupting.  Is that Iridium?  And was she promoted there, or somewhere else?

• Love 1
Just now, Ms Blue Jay said:

That's what I thought happened.  Ross is trying to toast her, and she keeps interrupting.  Is that Iridium?  And was she promoted there, or somewhere else?

She was promoted to head lunch chef at Iridium, but then she got fired. The toast scene happened at some random restaurant named "PhilloSophie". I noticed the menus when I watched the episode, and I have the official cookbook which has a recipe based off of the Cajun catfish Chandler orders there. It's called "PhilloSophie's Cajun Catfish Alfredo". 

• Useful 2
2 minutes ago, YoukaiMoe said:

She was promoted to head lunch chef at Iridium, but then she got fired. The toast scene happened at some random restaurant named "PhilloSophie". I noticed the menus when I watched the episode, and I have the official cookbook which has a recipe based off of the Cajun catfish Chandler orders there. It's called "PhilloSophie's Cajun Catfish Alfredo". 

Ok, thank you.  That would make sense because it's the episode where Monica says they'll go "someplace nice" and Joey/Phoebe/Rachel are sad because they won't be able to afford it right?

• Useful 1
1 minute ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Ok, thank you.  That would make sense because it's the episode where Monica says they'll go "someplace nice" and Joey/Phoebe/Rachel are sad because they won't be able to afford it right?

Yep, that's the one! 🙂

• Love 3
On 1/18/2021 at 10:47 AM, chitowngirl said:

Definitely a great bottle episode, but Anxious, Controlling Ross totally stresses me out.

Once he realized no one was ready yet, he should have given them the address and time they needed to be there, then called a cab and left.  That way, he could have gone to the venue, socialized with his colleagues, and savored his moment.  Instead, he stayed with a group of people who couldn't (and shouldn't) care as much about the situation as he did, became increasingly angry and frustrated, and made himself miserable on his big night.  (I don't think he made the others miserable, but not for lack of trying!)

Of course, if people on sitcoms had healthy boundaries and reasonable coping skills, the genre would become obsolete. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Dancing Queen said:

Of course, if people on sitcoms had healthy boundaries and reasonable coping skills, the genre would become obsolete. 

Yes, but the conflict has to make sense. In the case of TOW No One Is Ready, it was way too easy for Ross to have resolved his problem with everyone’s tardiness: say Fuck it and tell everyone to just meet him there. Instead, he flitted around being aggravated.

• Love 1

If they said they were going and Ross may have bought tickets or reserved places for them, I could see why he would care. As for saying the friends shouldn’t care , I don’t agree. I have gone to performances and speeches made by friends and I cared because I care about my friends. I recently ran a poetry slam event and my friends came to support me even though some of them don’t normally read poetry. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Madding crowd said:

If they said they were going and Ross may have bought tickets or reserved places for them, I could see why he would care. As for saying the friends shouldn’t care , I don’t agree. I have gone to performances and speeches made by friends and I cared because I care about my friends. I recently ran a poetry slam event and my friends came to support me even though some of them don’t normally read poetry. 

I agree that since they agreed to go, they should be ready on time.  But, again, they were ready in time.  Now, the question becomes were they only ready on time because Ross yelled at them, or were they capable of being ready on their own?  I think with the possible exception of Monica, they would have been ready.  We know that Phoebe showed up ready.  Rachel was getting ready the entire time.  And Joey and Chandler probably don't need that much time.  Maybe just let Monica off the hook since she was having a weird problem that she hadn't anticipated when she agreed to go.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, kariyaki said:

Instead, he flitted around being aggravated.

That's what bothers me about Ross as a character.  Sometimes I did liked him and I give David Schwimmer credit for creating a very nuanced character but mostly I found him aggravating and never found it believable that women like Rachel and Emily would have found him the least bit interesting.

Edited by WinnieWinkle
  • Love 4
21 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

I sort of have to side with Ross with "The One Where No One's Ready". Growing up, no matter the family function, my mom's side of the family was ALWAYS late. Be it to go shopping at the mall, family parties, whatever. Got so that my mom would give some an earlier time for something so they'd actually arrive when they should. And she would fume and my dad, my brothers, and I would just tell her that she knows their habits and they won't change, so why get upset, etc. But it would annoy her, and I understood.

Yes!  Before cell phones I used to take a book or magazine whenever I was meeting friends because they were always late.  I guess that's why this episode bugs me so much.  

8 hours ago, WinnieWinkle said:

I agree that they were wrapped up in their own stuff and the guys and Monica didn't really care about Ross's event - but the thing is why should they?  Ross expected a level of interest and enthousiasm from them that was over the top.  When he realized they were goofing off (the guys) or immersed in their own woes (Monica) then he should have backed off and given them the chance to just not go without it being a big deal.  That aside though it was his treatment of Rachel that went beyond "Ross is acting crazy, right or wrong let's laugh at this situation".  

5 hours ago, Dancing Queen said:

Once he realized no one was ready yet, he should have given them the address and time they needed to be there, then called a cab and left.  That way, he could have gone to the venue, socialized with his colleagues, and savored his moment.  Instead, he stayed with a group of people who couldn't (and shouldn't) care as much about the situation as he did, became increasingly angry and frustrated, and made himself miserable on his big night.  (I don't think he made the others miserable, but not for lack of trying!)

He said they were sitting up front near some big shot so I'm sure that he at least wanted to go in with his date, and the idea of socializing with his colleagues from his big empty table wouldn't be appealing.

I have an aunt who's always late but always wants to bring an appetizer.  She'll say "I don't know what happened - I left myself (this much) time!"  But what she does is dick around all day and then start getting ready with the time she's allotted, rather than get ready first and then spend the extra time watching tv or whatever.  I have a former friend who can be an hour late, not dressed yet, and decide she "needs a cup of tea" and will make it and sit down and drink it!  Once when I was still single I had invited friends and their boyfriends/husbands to a football game - they didn't even show up for the tailgate so once I went in to the stadium by myself, I had to sit there alone in a row of six seats until they finally moseyed in.  It's humiliating!  So I guess I can totally relate to Ross here.  Rant over. 😄 

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I thought of another good Phoebe line.

"My grandmother was really nice to me, but she's in hell for sure" 😄

I love that one! "See, stuff like this is why you're BURNING IN HELL!!" Classic.

• LOL 4
  • Love 4