Type keyword(s) to search

Friends - General Discussion

• Start Topic

8 hours ago, readster said:

How about hating Pottery Barn because she wanted "furniture with history" and not brand new from chain stores. I remember when watching it, my stepfather said: "Yeah, and when it has bed bugs and breaking apart, you are going to want new furniture your twit!"

Wanting bespoke or historical furniture is just fine... if you've got the income to support that lifestyle. When you're a (supposedly) struggling masseuse paying  New York rents, I would think you'd take any item you could sit or lie on without it collapsing.

It's funny, whenever someone mentions a Phoebe storyline, I nearly always have to stop for a moment to recall it. Her stuff often felt like a complete afterthought, and while the other characters had a through-line of consistency and at least some grounds in realism, she didn't. She's a character archetype that is thankfully dying out in sitcoms (or at least, in ones I watch) - the 'zany, crazy weirdo' who wouldn't realistically be able to function as an adult on their own.

• Love 14
21 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

Wanting bespoke or historical furniture is just fine... if you've got the income to support that lifestyle. When you're a (supposedly) struggling masseuse paying  New York rents, I would think you'd take any item you could sit or lie on without it collapsing.

It's funny, whenever someone mentions a Phoebe storyline, I nearly always have to stop for a moment to recall it. Her stuff often felt like a complete afterthought, and while the other characters had a through-line of consistency and at least some grounds in realism, she didn't. She's a character archetype that is thankfully dying out in sitcoms (or at least, in ones I watch) - the 'zany, crazy weirdo' who wouldn't realistically be able to function as an adult on their own.

How true and even when they did the flashbacks of how they first knew Phoebe and how she was Monica's old roommate. I just like to understand how a struggling masseuse was able to get her own apartment, which was pretty good. Leaving Monica to look for a roommate and ending up with Rachel when Monica's place was rent controlled. I get that Phoebe had issues "living" with Monica on a daily basis, but she was over there almost ALL THE TIME. Phoebe was basically like Larry from Three's Company or Kimmy from Full House (Though I always loved Andrea Barber). They were characters who did some very zany, under handed or things that would not ALLOW them to be full functioning adults later in life. 

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, readster said:

I just like to understand how a struggling masseuse was able to get her own apartment, which was pretty good. Leaving Monica to look for a roommate and ending up with Rachel

She lived with her grandmother. At least at some point after she had moved out. Depending on how much time there was between that and Rachel moving in. There was an early season 1 episode where she kept falling asleep because her grandmother had loud sex with her new boyfriend. 

I always assumed she kept that apartment after her grandmother died. Maybe it was as rent controlled as Monica's.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
8 minutes ago, readster said:

I just like to understand how a struggling masseuse was able to get her own apartment, which was pretty good. Leaving Monica to look for a roommate and ending up with Rachel when Monica's place was rent controlled.

Since she was living with her grandmother, there's a chance that apartment was rent controlled also.  But, I would think her building manager would have been aware when her grandmother died and that would have been over.

2 minutes ago, supposebly said:

I always assumed she kept that apartment after her grandmother died. Maybe it was as rent controlled as Monica's.

We posted at the same time.  She def kept that apartment because when the fire happened she told Rachel that when they repaired it they had taken out the dividing wall she and her grandmother had put it in so they now just had one big bedroom.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Katy M said:

Since she was living with her grandmother, there's a chance that apartment was rent controlled also.  But, I would think her building manager would have been aware when her grandmother died and that would have been over.

Right, because it was a known fact that Monica's apartment was rent control and even their super almost threaten to kick her and Rachel out after the situation with the garbage cute issue. Rent control is still a real things even now, but there are SO MANY owners who look for loop holes to kick those tenants out to get more money in the long run. It's very vicious these days. Especially in cities like New York, Chicago or LA.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
12 hours ago, readster said:

How about hating Pottery Barn because she wanted "furniture with history" and not brand new from chain stores. I remember when watching it, my stepfather said: "Yeah, and when it has bed bugs and breaking apart, you are going to want new furniture your twit!"

Ross:  "You know what isn't one of a kind?  A twin."

LOL @kariyaki got to it first.  I thought that line was so clever.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

Speaking of Phoebe, does anyone notice how much her delivery changes as the show goes on? Watching the earlier seasons, she stammers more and drags out her sentences. Like she has a lot to say at one time, but she can't get all of it out at once so she has to think about it. In the later seasons, her delivery is a lot more confident, almost arrogant. She still drags out the sentences a little, but she's less reserved and gets easily frustrated. 😂

I always thought she was the weakest character, but she served a purpose. The show already had a stupid main character, but they didn't have a weird main character. Phoebe could say random, off-the-wall things and it wouldn't feel out of place because it was her saying it. The only times I didn't like her were when she was taken seriously, or being manipulative or petty, or she was portrayed as one step ahead of the other characters. Her innocence and weirdness is what made her entertaining. 

• Love 2

Did you ever notice that sometimes the jokes and references did not match the characters', but reflected more on the writer's ages. Crane and Kaufman were older than the six actors. For example, when Ross tries to get over Carol and is talking to Joey and Chandler about getting back into the dating scene, he tells them that the last time he dated, "Does Billy Don't Be a Hero mean anything to you?"

Uhhhh. If that were the case, the last time Ross dated was 1974, which was when the song hit the charts. And was probably eight years old at the time (going by Schwimmer's actual age). 

• Love 3
(edited)

It was silly that Carol’s ex-husband’s sister and their four friends stayed at the hospital the ENTIRE time Carol was in labor.

I could see visiting once the baby was born, but the whole time?  Rachel crushing on the doc or not, it was weird.  I mean, we all know that Rachel doesn’t even know what Carol’s last name is.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 2
(edited)

Yeah but as far as TV tropes go, it isn't all that unusual, I suppose, to have the main cast all at one location for that particular episode.

Plus, at least they were consistent about it, since they were all there as well when Phoebe and Rachel were in labor.

Edited by Hiyo
  • Love 2
13 minutes ago, Hiyo said:

Yeah but as far as TV tropes go, it isn't all that unusual, I suppose, to have the main cast all at one location for that particular episode.

Plus, at least they were consistent about it, since they were all there as well when Phoebe and Rachel were in labor.

Yet nobody, not even Ross could be bothered when Chandler and Monica's twins were born.

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Yet nobody, not even Ross could be bothered when Chandler and Monica's twins were born.

Which was the one normal birth this show portrayed. The mom and dad are there. And that’s it.

• Love 1

I'd chalk that up to being the final episodes of the show, and them needing to spend that time tying up loose ends for the other characters.

Had the twins been born earlier in the season, they probably would have all been at the hospital for that as well.

• Love 2
49 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

Which was the one normal birth this show portrayed. The mom and dad are there. And that’s it.

I don't know how normal it was. Erica pushed out the twins, they were handed to Chandler and Monica and they walked right out of the hospital with them.

• Love 6
18 hours ago, Katy M said:

Because Ross was in the midst of one of his  BRAZILLIONTH "I love Rachel/I don't love Rachel" obsessive freak outs. And when it comes to Ross and Rachel and their back and forth with each other, no one else matters. I never loved a guest character more than Hugh Laurie telling Rachel EXACTLY what a selfish brat she was on the plane to London. 

I think that was the whole point of the joke.

Referencing a song from early childhood? Okaaaaaay. If that was the case, it certainly fell flat with me, and bugs me every time I see the episode. 

• Love 10
10 hours ago, Kiki777 said:

OMG

Phoebe’s grandma is Mrs. Roper??

Yup!

Which does make me wonder: The show referenced Three's Company. Does that mean when they watched, Phoebe's grandmother was a ringer for Audra Lindley (Mrs. Roper)? Or was Mrs. Roper played by someone else on Three's Company in the Friends universe? Hmm!

• Love 3
42 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

Yup!

Which does make me wonder: The show referenced Three's Company. Does that mean when they watched, Phoebe's grandmother was a ringer for Audra Lindley (Mrs. Roper)? Or was Mrs. Roper played by someone else on Three's Company in the Friends universe? Hmm!

Heh, Friends had a couple of those! Winona Ryder replaced Isabella Rossellini on Ross's list, only to show up as Rachel's sorority sister a few seasons later. And the guys were super into Die Hard, but didn't seem to recognize Bruce Willis as Elizabeth's father.

I'm sure there were more, but those are the ones that always immediately come to mind.

• LOL 2
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, helenamonster said:

Heh, Friends had a couple of those! Winona Ryder replaced Isabella Rossellini on Ross's list, only to show up as Rachel's sorority sister a few seasons later. And the guys were super into Die Hard, but didn't seem to recognize Bruce Willis as Elizabeth's father.

I'm sure there were more, but those are the ones that always immediately come to mind.

Now I feel dumb for not remembering them! 🙂 But you're right! Which made the pop culture references that much weirder.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Yup!

Ross even mentions Mr. Roper a few episodes before Phoebe's grandmother first appears when Chandler is tricking the woman on the answering machine.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, helenamonster said:

When they do that Thanksgiving football game, Phoebe is wearing a "That Girl" t-shirt - and later Marlo Thomas plays Rachel's mom.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4

Ahhhh, yesterday we saw Frank Jr. as a random guy who drops a condom into Phoebe's guitar case as a tip....and then comes back to retrieve it. They must have loved his performance enough to cast him as Phoebe's brother a couple seasons later.

I keep waiting for Phoebe to say, "Didn't you give me a condom as a tip last year?" in the episode that she meets her brother for the first time. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

When they do that Thanksgiving football game, Phoebe is wearing a "That Girl" t-shirt - and later Marlo Thomas plays Rachel's mom.

It wasn’t later, Rachel’s mom had already made more than one appearance on the show the previous season.

• Useful 2
9 hours ago, ChicksDigScars said:

They must have loved his performance enough to cast him as Phoebe's brother a couple seasons later.

I just bought the blu-ray and went have gone through the first three seasons already. Frank Jr. appears later that season in TOW the Two Bullies. I've always wondered if we're too assume it's possible that was Frank Jr.

8 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

Susan Sarandon was rejected from one of the boys’ list as being too political and she guest starred later.

It was from Ross's list. I always think about that when I watch TOW Frank Jr. because as previously mentioned there was the Winona Ryder reference and when Ross mentions Susan Sarandon, Chandler says he doesn't think she'd be a good addition because she'd probably make him "donate two cans of food first" before she'd do it with Ross. And then they both guest star later.

5 hours ago, mojoween said:

I know I should probably take offense to this, but “see, this is why I don’t date women who read” will always make me laugh.  Especially the way Matt says it.

That line - and, yes, his line reading of it - always cracks me up.

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:

I just bought the blu-ray and went have gone through the first three seasons already. Frank Jr. appears later that season in TOW the Two Bullies. I've always wondered if we're too assume it's possible that was Frank Jr.

I think he said he'd never been to the city before.

I always hated the way that subplot in TOW Rachel's Phone Number ended. They make a big deal out of Chandler lying because he doesn't want to hurt Joey's feelings, Joey actually shows some self-awareness by acknowledging that people think he's stupid, and there's this great moment where they go to the game and Chandler says that nobody thinks Joey's stupid.

Only to undercut it with this: "Where are you going?" "Game's tomorrow night, Joe." I get that they needed a joke to end it on, but that's pretty much confirmation that Joey's not good for anything beyond a punchline. 

• Love 2

The One Where No One's Ready was on this morning, and I can say this is the one episode where I'm totally on Ross' side. ALL the rest were inconsiderate and selfish, including Rachel with her "I'm just going to sit here and catch up on some correspondence." She DESERVED to be yelled at, for chrissakes. 

"I'm not going commando in another man's fatigues." I love that scene.

• Love 13
17 minutes ago, ChicksDigScars said:

The One Where No One's Ready was on this morning, and I can say this is the one episode where I'm totally on Ross' side. ALL the rest were inconsiderate and selfish

Except for the fact that I could never figure out why they were all even going to some work function of Ross’s. Rachel yes, everybody else, no. 

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, kariyaki said:

Except for the fact that I could never figure out why they were all even going to some work function of Ross’s. Rachel yes, everybody else, no. 

Ross talks about giving a speech after people give money. So it's likely a fundraiser gala of sorts at the museum, which might be nice to go to.  And they might be supporting Ross if his speech is kind of a big deal.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 2
20 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Ross talks about giving a speech after people give money. So it's likely a fundraiser gala of sorts at the museum, which might be nice to go to.  And they might be supporting Ross if his speech is kind of a big deal.

Everybody else except for Chandler is broke.

2 hours ago, ChicksDigScars said:

The One Where No One's Ready was on this morning, and I can say this is the one episode where I'm totally on Ross' side. ALL the rest were inconsiderate and selfish, including Rachel with her "I'm just going to sit here and catch up on some correspondence." She DESERVED to be yelled at, for chrissakes. 

"I'm not going commando in another man's fatigues." I love that scene.

Phoebe didn't really do anything.  She came over all ready.  And even after one of the guys stained her dress she fixed it faster than it took Rachel to get ready.  Since Rachel had time to get into a bathrobe and then get dressed again in an entirely different dress, I'd say that if Ross hadn't yelled at her when she asked which shoes, she would have been ready in time.  Ross apparently came over 2 hours before they needed to leave and was annoyed that they weren't ready yet.

• Love 3
(edited)
33 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

At events I've been to like that, they sell individual tickets as well as tables in addition to whatever other fundraiser they're doing.  It's possible Ross bought a table to support his employers (ah not-for-profits) or he was given a table since he was giving the main speech.

They might have agreed to go for the free food if they didn't have to buy the tickets.*

I think not going would have made sense too but for whatever reason, they all agreed to go. 

*Although finance logic on Friends is a long and deep rabbit hole.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 5

ALL the rest were inconsiderate and selfish, including Rachel with her "I'm just going to sit here and catch up on some correspondence." She DESERVED to be yelled at, for chrissakes. 

Didn't Rachel do that after Ross yelled at her? To be honest I thought Ross was kind of a dick for yelling at her the way he did, he could have been a nicer to her instead of yelling at her that way.

Wasn't Monica also in the "Haves" club (with Ross and Chandler) at that point? At the very least, she was somewhat better off than the other 3.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Hiyo said:

Wasn't Monica also in the "Haves" club (with Ross and Chandler) at that point? At the very least, she was somewhat better off than the other 3.

No, Monica had gotten fired and was in the same boat as the other 3.

• Love 1

Sounds like Aniston is saying she didn't really know how to act until recently.  I haven't seen The Morning Show, but I was not impressed by her in many of the movies she made early on.  To this day, I do not understand the raves she got for The Good Girl.

• Love 4
On 6/22/2020 at 9:55 PM, helenamonster said:

I'm on season 2 again and Chris Isaak is in the first Super Bowl episode and then a couple episodes later "Wicked Game" is the song they use when Ross and Rachel...you know. I've never been sure if we're supposed to think the song is playing in the auditorium or it's just the soundtrack that only we hear. If it's supposed to be playing for them it seems weird Ross could instantly turn that song on like he does.

• Love 2
(edited)
On 6/23/2020 at 1:42 PM, mojoween said:

I know I should probably take offense to this, but “see, this is why I don’t date women who read” will always make me laugh.  Especially the way Matt says it.

LOL.  Agreed on both parts.  

On 6/27/2020 at 1:24 AM, Nellise said:

I'm on season 2 again and Chris Isaak is in the first Super Bowl episode and then a couple episodes later "Wicked Game" is the song they use when Ross and Rachel...you know. I've never been sure if we're supposed to think the song is playing in the auditorium or it's just the soundtrack that only we hear. If it's supposed to be playing for them it seems weird Ross could instantly turn that song on like he does.

(In my opinion) Ross somehow set things up so that the auditorium would play the tape of that song.  It's an incredibly sexy song with a very sexy video 🙂

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 6/26/2020 at 1:47 PM, Inquisitionist said:

Sounds like Aniston is saying she didn't really know how to act until recently.  I haven't seen The Morning Show, but I was not impressed by her in many of the movies she made early on.  To this day, I do not understand the raves she got for The Good Girl.

Jennifer Aniston is a fantastic actor both on Friends and on The Morning Show.  Her TMS character is a complete 180 from Rachel Green.  

What annoys me about criticisms of JA on Friends is that so many people in the media would claim "She's playing herself".  How would they know?  The JA I've seen in interviews, and I've seen her in a billion, show a totally different person than Rachel Green. I don't think she's really like Rachel at all.  It's just such a smug critique based on nothing, as if there is no way that a glamourous woman with an ultrafamous haircut and ex-husband could possibly be a talented actor.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

What annoys me about criticisms of JA on Friends is that so many people in the media would claim "She's playing herself".  How would they know?  The JA I've seen in interviews, and I've seen her in a billion, show a totally different person than Rachel Green. I don't think she's really like Rachel at all.  It's just such a smug critique based on nothing, as if there is no way that a glamourous woman with an ultrafamous haircut and ex-husband could possibly be a talented actor.  

I agree that Jennifer has a lot more range than she gets credit for. I think that criticism comes about because it wasn’t until later in her career that she actually tried taking on riskier roles. At the beginning, just about any non-Friends role was still very Rachel-like. Either she was offered the role outright and she took it or that’s just what she felt most comfortable auditioning for or a combination of both. She definitely does a much better job of branching out into more challenging roles and I also agree that her real personality isn’t anything like Rachel.

• Love 2

I don't know Jennifer Aniston's personality in real life, so what are the differences between her and Rachel? Honestly, I never saw Rachel as a character with that many distinctive traits. If I had to describe her in one word, I don't think I would be able to. I don't have that problem with the other characters.

Also, is it just me, or did I feel like Monica was putting too much stock into Ross and Elizabeth's relationship? Why did there have to be a future, why did Ross have to see himself marrying Elizabeth? That relationship was never going to work in the long term and it's not like they were in love with each other. They were just going out. I feel like Monica was projecting because she wanted to get married. 

• Love 1

Watching the rerun of TOW the Tiny T-shirt, and it’s the first episode with Joey’s play and meeting Kate. What’s confusing to me is all that talk sand all the rehearsals that imply this dramatic play, especially with how Kate waxes poetic about the playwright. But then we see that bizarre part of the play with the spaceship ending and I’m not sure why. I mean, yes, they made it into a joke, but it wasn’t a funny joke and...Meh. 

• Love 5