Type keyword(s) to search

Friends - General Discussion

• Start Topic

And I thought the Ross and Rachel relationship couldn't be more toxic... Apparently fans booed the actress who played Julie at tapings. I always hated the Julie storyline and thought it was Rachel at her worst and most possessive of Ross. You've been spending a year hanging out with Ross at that time and had your chance. You finally realize you like him and he's with another person. A mature adult would think, "I've missed my chance" and be upset for a while and move on. Rachel is a total jerk to Julie and even gets upset when others in the group hang out with her, blaming Julie for "dating the man I'm probably supposed to be with." UGH! Rachel sometimes strikes me as immature and vapid and stuff like that doesn't help.  

• Love 10
On 6/10/2019 at 10:26 AM, Jaclyn88 said:

Yeah, if it were real life and R & R broke up AGAIN just because Ross didn't read an 18 page letter (front and back) that Rachel wrote at 5:30 am, that would be insane. Ross was actually the one throughout the series that was able to move on and he seemed to get past Rachel, but she seemed to be the one who couldn't really get over him. He was only really upset when she started dating Joey, but who wouldn't be pissed about their best friend dating their ex girlfriend?And he got over that by the end of the episode. Rachel tried to jeopardize his marriage to Emily and reverted back to Ross a few times throughout the show. 

“I take thee, Rachel.”

Rachel is wrong for the reasons she went, but in the end (at least before the vows), she didn’t do anything wrong.  There is no excuse for what she does after though: asking if she should go up there, telling Ross how she feels, etc. However, none of her behavior excuses Ross’. Saying the wrong name, and later, actually inviting her to his honeymoon? Emily proves herself to be a far better person than either of them for even giving him another chance. 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, christie said:

Why would anyone boo the actress? She was just playing a part. 

Yeah, but there is a fine line and I have read about the same behavior with soap fans and soap actors. Some just get too invested, I guess.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Meushell said:

“I take thee, Rachel.”

Rachel is wrong for the reasons she went, but in the end (at least before the vows), she didn’t do anything wrong.  There is no excuse for what she does after though: asking if she should go up there, telling Ross how she feels, etc. However, none of her behavior excuses Ross’. Saying the wrong name, and later, actually inviting her to his honeymoon? Emily proves herself to be a far better person than either of them for even giving him another chance. 

Yeah, I never got a lot of the defenses of Ross saying Rachel's name (which he kept doing even after the wedding). He still had feelings for Rachel and Emily was justified in being angry and suspicious.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, slf said:

Yeah, I never got a lot of the defenses of Ross saying Rachel's name (which he kept doing even after the wedding). He still had feelings for Rachel and Emily was justified in being angry and suspicious.

The whole thing annoyed me 1) because it was ridiculous that Ross would have said Rachel’s name after the minister said I take thee Emily . Just was so contrived .. 2) Ross was about to go on his honeymoon with the woman who’s name he said .. and he then thought Emily should just get over it . And 3) because all of the friends hated Emily because she wanted Ross to stop hanging around with Rachel , which because it’s a show and it’s about a group of 6 friends , I get why he couldn’t do that .. but If it were real life , I think Emily would be completely justified with that request . They made it seem like Emily was being completely unreasonable but I just never saw it that way . 

• Love 6
9 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Yeah, but there is a fine line and I have read about the same behavior with soap fans and soap actors. Some just get too invested, I guess.

I suppose 

5 hours ago, Jaclyn88 said:

The whole thing annoyed me 1) because it was ridiculous that Ross would have said Rachel’s name after the minister said I take thee Emily . Just was so contrived .. 2) Ross was about to go on his honeymoon with the woman who’s name he said .. and he then thought Emily should just get over it . And 3) because all of the friends hated Emily because she wanted Ross to stop hanging around with Rachel , which because it’s a show and it’s about a group of 6 friends , I get why he couldn’t do that .. but If it were real life , I think Emily would be completely justified with that request . They made it seem like Emily was being completely unreasonable but I just never saw it that way . 

Yes to your whole post. It always drove me crazy that the friends acted like Emily was an irrational, crazy shrew for not wanting Rachel around.  I'd like to see how Monica or Phoebe would act if Chandler or Mike did anything remotely similar.

• Love 2
On 6/22/2019 at 9:26 PM, Jaclyn88 said:

Then after promising not to see Rachel, he breaks said promise, and tells her on speakerphone with everyone there for extra humiliation.  Then he actually has the nerve to tell her she needs to trust him. 

• Love 8
On 6/23/2019 at 12:26 AM, Jaclyn88 said:

He didn't think Emily should just get over it. He bent over backward to comply with her every demand after what he did. I think Joey was the one with the biggest issue with it and his issue wasn't just about Emily not wanting him to see Rachel but all of the ridiculous demands she was making. I thought Emily was being unreasonable. What Ross did at the wedding was horrible (the most unrealistic aspect of the storyline to me was Emily going through with the wedding even after he called her Rachel), but he didn't cheat on her and as far as Emily knew Rachel never crossed any lines with him. I think it was going too far that they couldn't even be in the same room with Rachel. It was unreasonable to make him move and make him get rid of every single one of his possessions that Rachel ever touched. The last straw was her admitting that she thought when she moved to NY that she could keep an eye on Ross 24/7.  If she thought she needed that much control over her husband and could only keep him from cheating on her by forbidding him even glancing at Rachel, they had no business being married.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:

He didn't think Emily should just get over it. He bent over backward to comply with her every demand after what he did. I think Joey was the one with the biggest issue with it and his issue wasn't just about Emily not wanting him to see Rachel but all of the ridiculous demands she was making. I thought Emily was being unreasonable. What Ross did at the wedding was horrible (the most unrealistic aspect of the storyline to me was Emily going through with the wedding even after he called her Rachel), but he didn't cheat on her and as far as Emily knew Rachel never crossed any lines with him. I think it was going too far that they couldn't even be in the same room with Rachel. It was unreasonable to make him move and make him get rid of every single one of his possessions that Rachel ever touched. The last straw was her admitting that she thought when she moved to NY that she could keep an eye on Ross 24/7.  If she thought she needed that much control over her husband and could only keep him from cheating on her by forbidding him even glancing at Rachel, they had no business being married.

I agree that they shouldn’t have gotten married and she shouldn’t have gone through with it , but i don’t think she was unreasonable for wanting to start a new life with him in a new place that was their own . A lot of people want to start their married lives together  by getting a fresh place to call their own . And yeah Emily was acting a little controlling and it was pretty ridiculous to expect Ross to never see Rachel again but Ross was in love with Rachel for years . They had a big romantic history . Name me one person who’d be like ok , be besties with your ex who you have been in love with forever and said their name at the alter instead of mine . Like I said ,for a tv show I get why they’d remain friends but in reality , no one would be ok with that . But yeah , not sure why she would marry him just to ignore him for weeks afterward rather than try to work it out . 

• Love 2
36 minutes ago, Jaclyn88 said:

i don’t think she was unreasonable for wanting to start a new life with him in a new place that was their own . A lot of people want to start their married lives together  by getting a fresh place to call their own . And yeah Emily was acting a little controlling and it was pretty ridiculous to expect Ross to never see Rachel again but Ross was in love with Rachel for years . They had a big romantic history . Name me one person who’d be like ok , be besties with your ex who you have been in love with forever and said their name at the alter instead of mine .

I don't necessarily think it was unreasonable to want their own place but it was unreasonable in addition to that demanding that Ross basically sell all of his possessions if they had anything to do with Rachel. I can understand Emily wanting Ross not to be besties with Rachel, but to expect him to never be in the same room with her ever was pushing it a lot. In real life (if I had actually had gone through with the wedding) I wouldn't want him super close to the girl, but as long as the girl wasn't trying to steal him back I wouldn't prohibit them from ever seeing each other again.

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:

I don't necessarily think it was unreasonable to want their own place but it was unreasonable in addition to that demanding that Ross basically sell all of his possessions if they had anything to do with Rachel. I can understand Emily wanting Ross not to be besties with Rachel, but to expect him to never be in the same room with her ever was pushing it a lot. In real life (if I had actually had gone through with the wedding) I wouldn't want him super close to the girl, but as long as the girl wasn't trying to steal him back I wouldn't prohibit them from ever seeing each other again.

She did try to steal him back though .. but yea she didn’t know that lol 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:

Whilst I agree that not wanting Rachel and Ross to be in the same room was excessive, let's not forget that Emily showed up at the airport ready to go away with Ross only to find Ross and Rachel in the process of boarding the plane to go on a romantic getaway to Santorini. Not only did Ross say Rachel's name during the wedding ceremony, he was also going to go on his honeymoon with her. I can't blame Emily for freaking out. Having said that, I never understood why she went ahead with the wedding given that she didn't trust him at all.

• Love 5
(edited)
On 6/22/2019 at 8:03 PM, WendyCR72 said:

I've been there, but only in the positive sense.  For example, I am so in love with Jennifer Aniston, but I think it's because I'm in love with Rachel.  I don't really know about Jennifer's real actual life, and that's totally her business.

And I know what you mean about soap operas.  We saw Lucas from Days of our Lives in person when I was a kid and I was like !!!!!!!!!!  So head over heels.  He was so beautiful.

The only thing I can come close to in the "negative" sense is that I was very whatever towards Kate Winslet for the entirety of the 90s.  Why?  Because she was in Titanic, and I was an adolescent, and I was sickly in love with Leonardo DiCaprio.  I was right smack dab in the middle of Leo Mania and I was the perfect age for it.  Does it make any sense?  No!  Now I don't have any animosity at all, and I'm an adult.  LOL.

There was this awesome video of Keke Palmer who basically validated my feelings on this.  I thought it was sooooo funny.  This is very much me as a teenager.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

I’ve been watching a lot of Friends on Netflix recently.  Just wanted to write down a few random things that I have enjoyed:

- I really loved how when Phoebe was figuring out (real time as she was talking to Monica and Chandler) that Rachel was the pregnant one, she paused for a split second, looked over at Rachel (who just closed her eyes and shook her head kind of pleadingly), then as smoothly as possible covered for Rachel.  That was a really nice friendship moment between the two, and Kudrow and Aniston played it so well.

- I really enjoy David Schwimmer’s physical comedy.  Whether he’s leaping for joy with Phoebe and Rachel at the thought of getting Ugly Naked Guy’s apartment, or trying to put on leather pants, or the tanning thing (“Mississippi-lessly?”), he’s very funny when he gets to be goofy and physical.

- Joey figuring out that Monica and Chandler were together is one of my favorite moments in the show.  Phoebe’s “My eyes!” revelation rightfully gets a lot of recognition because it’s a great moment in possibly the best episode of the show, but in the earlier episode, the way that Matt LeBlanc starts reacting to Monica saying that she saw Trump and lost her eyelash curler was fantastic.

- I love the way that Jennifer Aniston plays the scene when she is telling the gang that Emma said her first “word” (gleba), and then she throws her arms up in a silent victory celebration.  I think that made it into the credits in later episodes.  Also her nonplussed reaction to Ross’s excitement that Emma would be a scientist was great.

• Love 20

@Peace 47, you named a number of my favorites as well (and I completely agree with "TOW Everyone Finds Out" being the best episode).

Tonight was another favorite moment -- Rachel's Two Birthdays (because Mom & Dad were divorcing), and the ridiculous lengths the Friends went to, just to keep the Greenes from seeing each other -- culminating in Joey grabbing Mrs G for the clinch of a lifetime.  Just hilarious. And brilliant quick-thinking by the character usually least capable of it.  And a fine example of how those six were all "Ride or Die" for each other.

One of my favorite Aniston moments was in the "What if?" ep, after alt-universe Rachel walks in on husband Barry w/the dog-walker.  She runs to CP, sees Ross, and explodes: "Do marriage vows mean SQUAT to you people????"

Love. It.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I love the small things too, like when Rachel was pissed at Joanna and Joanna is trying to entice her not to quit and Rachel says “...say more things like that.”

Oh my gosh, I love that, and when Rachel starts out the conversation by tearing up and saying, “I may cry, but they are not tears of sadness or of anger, but just of me having this discussion with you.”  That would so be me in that same situation. Or at least me in my late 20s in that same situation. 

And Joanna telling Rachel to put her sad little muffin back in her desk.

• Love 4

Oddly enough , so many articles have been coming out with Jennifer Aniston being the one who misses being on friends and wants to do the reboot , and she’s the most famous one to come out of the show . Meanwhile none of the others do . It’s pretty unusual for the only A lister of the bunch to want to go back to her roots . 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Jaclyn88 said:

Oddly enough , so many articles have been coming out with Jennifer Aniston being the one who misses being on friends and wants to do the reboot , and she’s the most famous one to come out of the show . Meanwhile none of the others do . It’s pretty unusual for the only A lister of the bunch to want to go back to her roots . 

I personally doubt those articles are any more true than all the ones that say Jennifer's getting back together with Brad Pitt.

• Love 2
32 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

I personally doubt those articles are any more true than all the ones that say Jennifer's getting back together with Brad Pitt.

No they’re true . She went on the Ellen show and said it and now she said it again . There’s various sources . It’s not in one of those national enquirer type fake ones. 

I guess I can see the possible reasoning of the others though, if people are calling Jennifer Aniston, "the only A-list star" of the group. It would be easy to paint a reunion as the rest of the cast trying to glom onto her profile, or cling to past glories to make some money and get their names back out there.

In reality, I think they're mostly happy with where they are (and are definitely happy with their personal wealth). Certainly, Matt LeBlanc, David Schwimmer and Lisa Kudrow seem very content to do what they're doing. I don't know what Courteney Cox or Matthew Perry are up to these days.

Edited by Danny Franks

At this point, we can all rule out the possibility of a reunion episode, which is what I'm assuming everyone thinks it would be. 

I don't see the issue in the cast members and the creators coming together for a commemorative special, talking about the show's best moments and reminiscing on all the memories they made on set. Technically, that's a reunion. I don't see why it has to be a full fledged episode when nobody has any interest in doing that. 

I still think within the next decade, the show is getting revived. Feels like that day is inevitable, I just don't know when it's coming. 

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Mr. Meatball Man said:

At this point, we can all rule out the possibility of a reunion episode, which is what I'm assuming everyone thinks it would be. 

I don't see the issue in the cast members and the creators coming together for a commemorative special, talking about the show's best moments and reminiscing on all the memories they made on set. Technically, that's a reunion. I don't see why it has to be a full fledged episode when nobody has any interest in doing that. 

I still think within the next decade, the show is getting revived. Feels like that day is inevitable, I just don't know when it's coming. 

I am really surprised a "millennial" Friends never materialized. Not that I want it, mind you, but it seems like it would be such a slam dunk concept to pitch to Warner Brothers that it would at least get a development/pilot deal.

At this point if there's ever a reboot, it'll have to be a "Gen Z" Friends, since millennials will all be past their mid-20s at that point.

One thing I wouldn't entirely hate would be a next-gen reboot with the Friends kids. Ben, Emma, Jack, Erica, and Phoebe/Mike's offspring (and Joey's too, I guess--I can't picture him settling down and starting a family but maybe a baby from a one-night stand could round out the group). Only thing is with four of the kids related, there'd be a lot fewer opportunities for inter-group relationships than there were in the original.

(Also the kids who played Ben and Emma are still working actors so you might actually be able to get them back to reprise their roles lol--the Emma twins could share the role Mary Kate and Ashley style.)

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
11 minutes ago, helenamonster said:

I am really surprised a "millennial" Friends never materialized. Not that I want it, mind you, but it seems like it would be such a slam dunk concept to pitch to Warner Brothers that it would at least get a development/pilot deal.

At this point if there's ever a reboot, it'll have to be a "Gen Z" Friends, since millennials will all be past their mid-20s at that point.

They kinda had that with How I Met Your Mother and Big Bang Theory.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, helenamonster said:

One thing I wouldn't entirely hate would be a next-gen reboot with the Friends kids. Ben, Emma, Jack, Erica, and Phoebe/Mike's offspring (and Joey's too, I guess--I can't picture him settling down and starting a family but maybe a baby from a one-night stand could round out the group). Only thing is with four of the kids related, there'd be a lot fewer opportunities for inter-group relationships than there were in the original.

It would not surprise me if that happens in a few years when all the kids are adults and can believably live on their own. And maybe with occasional guest appearances from some original characters if actors are willing.

• Love 2

I like the idea of the offspring having a show. It would a kick if they were nothing like their parents.  Joey Jr could be smart like Ross.  Meadow Moon Phoebe's daughter could be a control freak like Monica.  Emma could be hippy dippy like Phoebe.  Jack could be a dim bulb like Joey. Erica could a spoiled fashionista like Rachel. And Ben could be a sarcastic wiseacre like Chandler. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, helenamonster said:

I suppose they could even bring in Frank/Alice's triplets, if need be. Not as part of the core six, but every-once-in-awhile friends. That also would bring in two more girls and one boy that aren't related to Ben/Emma/Jack/Erica.

I'm not sure how Ben would work as part of the group because he is so much older than the rest of them. He's at least eight years older than Emma, nine/ten years older than Jack/Erica, nine/ten/eleven years older than Baby Buffay-Hannigan (assuming Phoebe had kids soon after the finale). Though a random Tribbiani could be any age in there if it was a one-night-stand. 

How long did Kathy/Chandler date after she broke it off with Joey? Would it have been possible for Kathy to have a kid with Joey?

Edited by LexieLily
  • Love 2
On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 8:52 AM, helenamonster said:

Except it would have to be called "Friends" and the characters would be people who have never actually met and barely know anything about each other, but they are all best friends on social media. [The biased rantings of a Gen X'er who didn't own a smartphone until 2015]

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, sd dude said:

[The biased rantings of a Gen X'er who didn't own a smartphone until 2015]

This Gen X’er still has a TracFone, because I don’t want to deal with being accessible all the time. I use my iPad for online stuff. So I have to be at a secure internet place. Just like I like it!

• Love 1
On 6/24/2019 at 6:58 PM, FilmTVGeek80 said:

After Ross said the wrong name, Emily made a mistake of going through with the ceremony, I think.  How do you fix that problem or get back from that, LOL? She was very determined.

Ross is totally at fault.  But Emily trying to salvage the situation and trying to get Ross to cut off his sister's roommate.... uH.  It's not gonna work.... 

• Love 4
On 8/10/2019 at 12:04 PM, izabella said:

What I Like About You starring Amanda Bynes and the people who played her friends - this show blatantly ripped off of a lot of "Friends" plotlines, super closely.  I love the show, but I thought it was very freaky.  Same writers? I don't know.  HIMYM did the same.

On 8/10/2019 at 12:04 PM, izabella said:

HIMYM is all Gen X actually, except for the actor who plays Robin.

I don't understand how in the early episodes, Rachel was supposedly borrowing her sister's cabin in the Poconos. We met both her sisters, they didn't have two dimes to rub together.

1 hour ago, kariyaki said:

I don't understand how in the early episodes, Rachel was supposedly borrowing her sister's cabin in the Poconos. We met both her sisters, they didn't have two dimes to rub together.

Details from Early seasons never mesh with later seasons on any show . Especially sibling related stuff . 

• Love 2

Rachel makes a remark about how one of her sisters has a very mannish energy.  They threw that all out the window because I don't think Reese nor Christina acted that way at all.

Although, you could say, Rachel's parents GAVE one of her sisters a cabin.  When Jill comes on the show and says she bought a boat or something with her father's credit card, it doesn't seem that far fetched.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1

That sort of continuity changed all the time. A show that runs ten years is only going to have so much crosschecking of every line and joke, to make sure they're not contradicting themselves.

For example, we met all Joey's sisters in season 3, and none of them were young enough to be Dina from season 8 (nor were any of them Drea de Matteo, who played his sister in Joey).

Jokes like Ross having slept with the college cleaning lady contradicting his claim that Carol was his only sexual partner, Chandler not being able to cry even though it's mentioned in other episodes that he had etc. If you get hung up on this sort of stuff, you probably wouldn't be able to watch more than two or three episodes without getting frustrated.

• Love 7
On 8/13/2019 at 4:52 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

Rachel makes a remark about how one of her sisters has a very mannish energy.  They threw that all out the window because I don't think Reese nor Christina acted that way at all.

Although, you could say, Rachel's parents GAVE one of her sisters a cabin.  When Jill comes on the show and says she bought a boat or something with her father's credit card, it doesn't seem that far fetched.

I'm not sure how "mannish" energy would be portrayed anyway. I could actually see Amy being characterized that way as she pretty much had zero empathy or understanding of anyone else.

It didn't seem like Jill or Amy were lacking in money (even if not their own from a job), both were quite spoiled by the men in their lives: Jill her father, and Amy the old men she would be with.

Dr. Green spoiled the girls extravagantly. Rachel said at one point she was given a boat because her pony was sick. And Jill bought the boat that got her cut off for her friend, leading Chandler to comment, "Boy, did we make friends with the wrong sister." It's very plausible that the cabin was a gift to one of Rachel's sisters.

"It didn't seem like Jill or Amy were lacking in money (even if not their own from a job), both were quite spoiled by the men in their lives: Jill her father, and Amy the old men she would be with.

Dr. Green spoiled the girls extravagantly. Rachel said at one point she was given a boat because her pony was sick. And Jill bought the boat that got her cut off for her friend, leading Chandler to comment, "Boy, did we make friends with the wrong sister." It's very plausible that the cabin was a gift to one of Rachel's sisters."

Agree with above...but...although yes, Rachel's family was rich because her dad was a successful surgeon,  I'm not sure they were Rockefeller-rich.  Plus wasn't Rachel the eldest sister?  If so, why would the younger sister have a cabin in the Poconos and Rachel wouldn't have anything?  Grrr with the inconsistencies.

We never found out who was older, Rachel or Amy. Jill was definitely the youngest. One can handwave the cabin being sister Amy’s if the cabin belonged to the family and Amy went to live there to “live on her own” with all expenses paid because it was “the family” cabin and said cabin just came to be known as “my sister’s cabin”.  Though from what we know of Amy, I can’t imagine her “lending” it to anyone! 

Edited by chitowngirl
  • Love 1

I've started watching "Joey" and surprisingly, I'm really enjoying myself.

Flaws:

- the decor.  I think the thinking was that they had to make the decor wildly different from "Friends".  But god, this show makes 2000s LA look horribly trashy.
- The theme song.  It's just so freaking loud and annoying.  Ha.
- How Joey's sister's character is written.  She's just so overbearing.

But, I like everything else.  Jennifer Coolidge is great as Joey's agent.  There's an arc with Lucy Liu and I looooooove her.  Even Drea de Matteo (sister Gina) is growing on me now.

I've started to watch Season 2 and I am not sure how I feel about it yet.  😐  They inserted this character (Kyle) and it's just so awkward.  They've made Alex the landlord act really embarrassing.  They're obviously struggling.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1
56 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I've started watching "Joey" and surprisingly, I'm really enjoying myself.

Flaws:

- the decor.  I think the thinking was that they had to make the decor wildly different from "Friends".  But god, this show makes the 2000s look horribly trashy.
- The theme song.  It's just so freaking loud and annoying.  Ha.
- How Joey's sister's character is written.  She's just so overbearing.

But, I like everything else.  Jennifer Coolidge is great as Joey's agent.  There's an arc with Lucy Liu and I looooooove her.  Even Drea de Matteo (sister Gina) is growing on me now.

I've started to watch Season 2 and I am not sure how I feel about it yet.  😐  They inserted this character (Kyle) and it's just so awkward.  They've made Alex the landlord act really embarrassing.  They're obviously struggling.  

I didn't think Joey was that bad. I found Alex a bit irritating and hated how they made her and Joey a couple. I loooove Jennifer Coolidge (she can do no wrong). I don't remember  a character called Kyle 9imdb tells me he was played by Antonio Sabato Jr but I'm still drawing a blank).

• Love 1

I watched Joey when it originally aired and remember not liking Gina all that much. Cut to a few years later when I finally get around to watching The Sopranos and Adriana (Drea de Matteo) becomes one of my favorite tv characters of all time. Kind of curious to go back to Joey from that angle now.

Drea's spoken quite candidly in interviews about having a really difficult time on Joey. The sudden jump from drama to comedy and New York to LA was jarring, they were under pressure to pull in the kind of ratings that Friends did (which absolutely nobody was doing anymore), and I think she had some things going on in her personal life that made making people laugh a tough living to have. She also felt that she was picked for the role specifically because of the archetype she played on The Sopranos, but had to go from playing that character in a nuanced, sympathetic way to making fun of her. She had nothing but nice things to say about LeBlanc, though.

3 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

- the decor.  I think the thinking was that they had to make the decor wildly different from "Friends".  But god, this show makes the 2000s look horribly trashy. 

I have some terrible news for you about the 2000s.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, christie said:

I didn't think Joey was that bad. I found Alex a bit irritating and hated how they made her and Joey a couple. I loooove Jennifer Coolidge (she can do no wrong). I don't remember  a character called Kyle 9imdb tells me he was played by Antonio Sabato Jr but I'm still drawing a blank).

Sorry, the character I'm speaking of is Zach.

7 hours ago, helenamonster said:

Drea's spoken quite candidly in interviews about having a really difficult time on Joey. The sudden jump from drama to comedy and New York to LA was jarring, they were under pressure to pull in the kind of ratings that Friends did (which absolutely nobody was doing anymore), and I think she had some things going on in her personal life that made making people laugh a tough living to have. She also felt that she was picked for the role specifically because of the archetype she played on The Sopranos, but had to go from playing that character in a nuanced, sympathetic way to making fun of her. She had nothing but nice things to say about LeBlanc, though.

So why would she audition, and why would the show cast her?  Seems like an incredibly strange idea.  It's not like she was forced to do the show.  It's very clear she has no background in comedy.  To me it makes no sense.

I'm glad to hear that LeBlanc hopefully treated her well.

• Love 1