Type keyword(s) to search

Friends - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I didn't understand why Mike wouldn't have discussed with Phoebe the fact that he never wanted to get married again. Wouldn't that have been something he mentioned before he decided to move in? They seemed like they were dating a few months by that point and were serious.

On 4/29/2019 at 9:05 AM, Jaclyn88 said:

I think in the later seasons, all of the characters got dumbed down or made more into caricatures. 

Phoebe and Ross specifically. Sometimes Monica. They dumbed down Joey even more than in earlier seasons, but they made him more 3 dimensional, so I think his character improved. And Rachel's character grew, though her love interests were terrible and made her seem desperate.

I think the whole show is great, but the first few seasons of most shows are generally much better/funnier, including this one.

I agree. Phoebe went from probably the nicest character out of the six to probably the most irritating. It wasn't consistent, but sometimes, she would just get written terribly. Her energy in the earlier seasons is different. As time went on, it seemed like everyone else was scared of her.

I think the show was really good for the first six seasons (seasons 2-5 were probably the peak), then in season seven, it starts to feel like it's winding down. It's not exactly finished yet, and it's still funny, but there are more episodes that aren't that interesting. Season eight definitely should have been the last one, ending with Ross and Rachel finally deciding to get back together and start a family. At this point, it feels like a legendary boxer giving you one last championship-caliber fight before he retires. 

But then it went on for two more seasons when it didn't need to. I don't know if it jumped the shark at any time, but the quality was definitely lower after season eight. It's funny because I watched the Friends documentary last weekend, and apparently, season eight was supposed to be the last one since the show officially outgrew its original premise (Chandler and Monica's wedding). But then 9/11 happened so they decided to go on for a ninth season, and for about a year or so, that was supposed to be the final season until NBC negotiated with the producers for a tenth season. 

I couldn't even imagine how much worse the show would have gotten if it ended in 2005 or 2006. 

• Love 2

My unpopular opinion is that I loved the show from beginning to end and never thought it jumped the shark. I do think the characters changed as people do over time and while there are things I would change, it still remains on of my favorite shows.

• Love 12
24 minutes ago, Madding crowd said:

My unpopular opinion is that I loved the show from beginning to end and never thought it jumped the shark. I do think the characters changed as people do over time and while there are things I would change, it still remains on of my favorite shows.

Friends never really had a true "jump the shark" moment, but it completely ran out of steam and story lines. In fact, I did feel like when they did decide on the 10th season. You could tell they were wrapping it all up from the word go. 

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Mr. Meatball Man said:

I agree. Phoebe went from probably the nicest character out of the six to probably the most irritating. It wasn't consistent, but sometimes, she would just get written terribly. Her energy in the earlier seasons is different. As time went on, it seemed like everyone else was scared of her.

I think the show was really good for the first six seasons (seasons 2-5 were probably the peak), then in season seven, it starts to feel like it's winding down. It's not exactly finished yet, and it's still funny, but there are more episodes that aren't that interesting. Season eight definitely should have been the last one, ending with Ross and Rachel finally deciding to get back together and start a family. At this point, it feels like a legendary boxer giving you one last championship-caliber fight before he retires. 

But then it went on for two more seasons when it didn't need to. I don't know if it jumped the shark at any time, but the quality was definitely lower after season eight. It's funny because I watched the Friends documentary last weekend, and apparently, season eight was supposed to be the last one since the show officially outgrew its original premise (Chandler and Monica's wedding). But then 9/11 happened so they decided to go on for a ninth season, and for about a year or so, that was supposed to be the final season until NBC negotiated with the producers for a tenth season. 

I couldn't even imagine how much worse the show would have gotten if it ended in 2005 or 2006. 

I watched the documentary too. It really is weird that half of them were almost not able to be on the show due to filming pilots for another show.. That would have sucked for them if they had to commit to the other show and then nothing ended up happening with it, considering how huge friends was/is.

I agree the show should have probably ended after season 8, but I'm glad it didn't. It was still a good show regardless and it was cool that it lasted 10 years.

Phoebe was unbearable to me in the later seasons, and they gave her lines that just were not funny at all. She was always screaming and getting angry.

I guess maybe the show jumped the shark with the Chandler is turned on by sharks episode  .. get it? 😉 

R &R's relationship was ridiculously dragged on. It's either you're into each other or not. You have a kid together, you hang out every day, and every season some feelings get brought up followed by just dropping it the next episode. It honestly felt like they only ended up together because neither one of them had found anyone else.

• Love 1

It is surprising with all of the reboots and Fuller Houses and Girl Meets Worlds that we haven’t had something like “The Gellar/Bings” where we follow along with the lives of adult Ben and teenage Emma, Erica and Jack.

I’m not ashamed to say that I would totally watch that show.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, mojoween said:

It is surprising with all of the reboots and Fuller Houses and Girl Meets Worlds that we haven’t had something like “The Gellar/Bings” where we follow along with the lives of adult Ben and teenage Emma, Erica and Jack.

Ross getting into embarrassing situations like he always does but now as a dad to a teenager would be hilarious.

• Love 3
On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 5:11 AM, mojoween said:

They could make a show about the kids, but I don't think they'd get any of the old Friends to be the adults. Even those who aren't busy would probably balk at so obviously going back to the old well.

I don't think there's ever been an onscreen reunion between more than two of them at the same time, unless it was a talk show or something.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

They could make a show about the kids, but I don't think they'd get any of the old Friends to be the adults. Even those who aren't busy would probably balk at so obviously going back to the old well.

I don't think there's ever been an onscreen reunion between more than two of them at the same time, unless it was a talk show or something.

Yeah, from what i've heard, all of them are against doing any sort of reunion. They pretty much just said what would it be about? I think they know Friends was/is a goldmine , and because they're all still making millions from the show and most have other things going on, they'd prefer not to do a reboot and ruin the original premise. Other shows like Girl Meets World, Fuller House etc. were done just simply because they were all running out of money and not really doing much anymore. They didn't care whether it would ruin the original or not.

• Love 1

When re-watching the last episode, the thing I find most annoying is that Ross only cared that Rachel was moving away, and not that his daughter was moving to another country. He didn't even mention Emma once in his sadness about Rachel leaving.

• Love 12

I respect David Crane and Marta Kauffman for not wanting to do any Friends revivals or reboots. They might be the only creators I've seen that have no interest in coming back and revisiting their show. And they don't want to do anything that will go against the universe they built up.

I could be wrong and within the next ten years, NBC will give them a check so large, they won't be able to resist anymore, but their opinion has been consistent for a long time now. 

• Love 2
On 5/18/2019 at 12:36 AM, Mr. Meatball Man said:

I respect David Crane and Marta Kauffman for not wanting to do any Friends revivals or reboots. They might be the only creators I've seen that have no interest in coming back and revisiting their show. And they don't want to do anything that will go against the universe they built up.

I could be wrong and within the next ten years, NBC will give them a check so large, they won't be able to resist anymore, but their opinion has been consistent for a long time now. 

I agree .. Not that it matters why they’re not doing it , but my guess is because 1) the actors don’t need the money . They are making soo much in re runs and through Netflix alone that the lack of money isn’t the issue . 2) the cast have all said they wouldn’t do it because they can’t imagine what it would even be about . 

The shows that do the reboots are generally the ones where the actors haven’t been up to anything in years . So I do respect Friends for not going the reboot route , but I suspect that if the show wasn’t still a hugeee hit ( which it is ) , that they’d be going that route . 

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Jaclyn88 said:

I agree .. Not that it matters why they’re not doing it , but my guess is because 1) the actors don’t need the money . They are making soo much in re runs and through Netflix alone that the lack of money isn’t the issue . 2) the cast have all said they wouldn’t do it because they can’t imagine what it would even be about . 

The shows that do the reboots are generally the ones where the actors haven’t been up to anything in years . So I do respect Friends for not going the reboot route , but I suspect that if the show wasn’t still a hugeee hit ( which it is ) , that they’d be going that route . 

I agree and even people talked to Ted Danson about Cheers once and he said: "I think by this point, everyone is happy where they are. What's the point?" 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, readster said:

I agree and even people talked to Ted Danson about Cheers once and he said: "I think by this point, everyone is happy where they are. What's the point?" 

Cheers did get reunion episodes via the Frasier series, so it's not like it never happened anyway.

I agree that a Friends reunion is not likely to happen. They'd need all six of them to be on board and so far, it doesn't look like even one of them would be interested.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, kariyaki said:

Cheers did get reunion episodes via the Frasier series, so it's not like it never happened anyway.

I agree that a Friends reunion is not likely to happen. They'd need all six of them to be on board and so far, it doesn't look like even one of them would be interested.

Oh, I know on the reunion episodes, but people asked Ted Danson if they would do a reboot now and that was his answer. 

Watching TOW Old Yeller Dies and I just think it’s bizarre that this is the first weekend Ross has ever asked to have Ben for more than a day. The kid is, what, around 8 months old? Great secondary caregiving there, Ross. 

• Love 5
(edited)

He was breastfeeding and keep in mind Carol and Susan were reluctant to have him  in Ben’s life to begin with. But the real reason is the same reason Emma was always at Grandma Green’s: The writers didn’t want this to be a kid centered show.

Edited by Madding crowd
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, Madding crowd said:

He was breastfeeding and keep in mind Carol and Susan were reluctant to have him  in Ben’s life to begin with. But the real reason is the same reason Emma was always at Grandma Green’s: The writers didn’t want this to be a kid centered show.

The eager and relieved way that Carol and Susan responded to him wanting Ben for a full weekend did not speak of people not wanting Ross involved or there being any other reason for this not happening sooner. 

• Love 2

I was surprised they even gave Ross a son to begin with. I don't think it really added much to the show other than a small story line here or there for Ross if they had nothing else for him that episode. Emma made sense, but I always wondered why they even bothered giving Ross Ben.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, VagueDisclaimer said:

The eager and relieved way that Carol and Susan responded to him wanting Ben for a full weekend did not speak of people not wanting Ross involved or there being any other reason for this not happening sooner. 

In a lot of states, it is pretty common for fathers not to get rights to overnight until 12 months if the mom is breastfeeding. It's also common for new moms to think they like it that way until they have the option of two nights in a row with no middle of the night wake ups. 🙂

1 hour ago, VagueDisclaimer said:

Did you watch the shows were Carol was first pregnant? She and Susan did not want Ross to be a part of Ben’s life and only changed their mind later. It seems to me that they did not allow him weekend long visits and that is why he was so surprised they said yes.

1 hour ago, Madding crowd said:

Did you watch the shows were Carol was first pregnant? She and Susan did not want Ross to be a part of Ben’s life and only changed their mind later. It seems to me that they did not allow him weekend long visits and that is why he was so surprised they said yes.

1 hour ago, deaja said:

In a lot of states, it is pretty common for fathers not to get rights to overnight until 12 months if the mom is breastfeeding. It's also common for new moms to think they like it that way until they have the option of two nights in a row with no middle of the night wake ups. 🙂

Okay, but this isn’t where anyone was at this point of the show. Carol and Susan were horrible in the beginning, treating Ross like a sperm donor, but at this point, there was clearly a more relaxed relationship(or as relaxed as it could be). They jumped at the chance for Ross to want to have his kid for a full weekend and immediately planned a weekend away to Colonial Williamsburg. I just thought it was a bizarre detail for Ross having not kept his kid for the weekend, it’s not deeper than that. The “secondary caregiving” was in reference to a joke Ross made during the episode 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Love 4

And I think the fact Ross was so surprised they would let him and had a whole speech thought out to convince them, he wasn’t allowed to do it before. And Ben was still a baby at that point so it wasn’t so much later. 

• Love 5
16 minutes ago, Madding crowd said:

And I think the fact Ross was so surprised they would let him and had a whole speech thought out to convince them, he wasn’t allowed to do it before. And Ben was still a baby at that point so it wasn’t so much later. 

And i think Ben was around 8-9 months by this episode and it was still a bizarre detail when it’s *your* child. I guess we’ve reached an impasse. Oh wells. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, VagueDisclaimer said:

And i think Ben was around 8-9 months by this episode and it was still a bizarre detail when it’s *your* child. I guess we’ve reached an impasse. Oh wells. 

In my opinion when the writers started fighting with the triplets' parents who played Ben over use and money that's when things started shifting for him disappearing and Emma showing up. As many said, Emma made sense, Ben was this idea thrown in at the beginning of the series and the writers used it when it was convenient to them or Carol and Susan were free for filming. By the time Emma came into the picture, that part of Ross's life just disappeared outside from a mention at the end of the series. 

Several other TV writers thought it would have been both funny and interesting stories for Ben to deal with having a baby Sister and once again having it where his Dad wasn't married to the mother.

• Love 2
42 minutes ago, readster said:

In my opinion when the writers started fighting with the triplets' parents who played Ben over use and money that's when things started shifting for him disappearing and Emma showing up. As many said, Emma made sense, Ben was this idea thrown in at the beginning of the series and the writers used it when it was convenient to them or Carol and Susan were free for filming. By the time Emma came into the picture, that part of Ross's life just disappeared outside from a mention at the end of the series. 

Several other TV writers thought it would have been both funny and interesting stories for Ben to deal with having a baby Sister and once again having it where his Dad wasn't married to the mother.

Yeah Ben wasn’t at Emma’s birthday , in the hospital for her birth , etc . He was definitely just an idea that came about before the show runners had any idea how long the series would last . 

• Love 1
On 5/23/2019 at 12:20 PM, chitowngirl said:

Cole Sprouse played Ben for 7 episodes from 2000-2002. Ross taking care of his 2 kids might have been an interesting episode.

Plus, it would have been a great way for Ross to show Ben how be a big brother as he was one with Monica. They had the opportunities and the writing would have been pretty organic but, they just never took them.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, readster said:

Plus, it would have been a great way for Ross to show Ben how be a big brother as he was one with Monica. They had the opportunities and the writing would have been pretty organic but, they just never took them.

I'm glad they didn't. Any of the episodes that focus on kids/babies are almost automatically my least favourite. I think they only subplot involving Ben that I don't dislike is the Holiday Armadillo, and that's down to David Schwimmer's performance.

I never would have included any kids in the show, at least not in the first seven or eight seasons. This was a show about twentysomethings in New York, living their lives. I guess it's demographically realistic that one would have a kid and a failed marriage, but it's not something that ever interested me.

• Love 7

Also, Ross and Monica were only a year apart. Ben and Emma were seven years apart. That’s a whole different sibling dynamic. You don’t really have as big a rivalry when it’s a large age gap like that. 

• Love 2
On 5/27/2019 at 11:07 AM, Danny Franks said:

I'm glad they didn't. Any of the episodes that focus on kids/babies are almost automatically my least favourite. I think they only subplot involving Ben that I don't dislike is the Holiday Armadillo, and that's down to David Schwimmer's performance.

I never would have included any kids in the show, at least not in the first seven or eight seasons. This was a show about twentysomethings in New York, living their lives. I guess it's demographically realistic that one would have a kid and a failed marriage, but it's not something that ever interested me.

Agreed. Ross having Ben was fine because let's face it, he was rarely brought on the show .. but I could have done without Emma until the very end of the show. I thought having her would have been a nice way to bring Ross and Rachel back together, but instead they dragged them on for another 2 seasons even after having Emma. And Rachel and Joey's romantic story made no sense once R & R had the baby. If they were gonna have a Rachel and Joey at all, it should have been before that.

I also could have done with having one more season before Monica and Chandler got together. I suspect if the show runners knew how much longer the show was going to go on, they would have held off a little. Don't get me wrong, I loved them together and thought the writers did a great job with them every season, but I also loved watching Chandler and Monica single and I enjoyed their messed up dating lives.

• Love 2

They've been airing season two episodes lately on Nick at Nite and it's interesting how much different the show is from season one. It looks like they're using darker colors, and even the characters are different. They're settling into themselves. Chandler seems to be more frustrated and his sarcasm has been turned up a bit (not a bad thing, but sometimes, his comments come off more as insults than him just having fun), and Joey is definitely dumber than he was in season one. Not ridiculously dumb like in later seasons, but it does feel like he's lost a couple IQ points. Ross is also not as shy as he seemed to be in season one. 

It might just be me, but I really liked the first season because the characters were approached in a way they never were again. 

(edited)

Joey was pretty witty in Season 1.

Rachel prints out 200 of her resumes or something, and somebody catches that she wrote that she has good "compuper" skills.

She wails "Oh my god, do you think that's on ALL of them?" and Joey snarkily says "Nah, I bet the printer caught a few."

Something like that, anyway.  Joey of later seasons would never be allowed to make that joke.

Season 5 is the peak of the show for me.  When they allowed Ross to go absolutely crazy after losing Emily, that's when the show became hysterical.  I remember really liking Season 2 at the time of airing, but it doesn't hold up as well for me.  They were just all so cute.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 8
On 6/7/2019 at 1:07 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

Joey was pretty witty in Season 1.

Rachel prints out 200 of her resumes or something, and somebody catches that she wrote that she has good "compuper" skills.

She wails "Oh my god, do you think that's on ALL of them?" and Joey snarkily says "Nah, I bet the printer caught a few."

Something like that, anyway.  Joey of later seasons would never be allowed to make that joke.

Season 5 is the peak of the show for me.  When they allowed Ross to go absolutely crazy after losing Emily, that's when the show became hysterical.  I remember really liking Season 2 at the time of airing, but it doesn't hold up as well for me.  They were just all so cute.

Agreed. In the earlier seasons, they were actually willing to give Joey lines like that. There was one episode where he said "Was 'Egg the Gellers' the war cry of your neighborhood?" It was like Chandler entered Joey's body when he said that, and it was a line they never would have given him in season nine, when he was so stupid, he couldn't even remember what job he had. 

One thing that didn't happen a lot but I loved is when Joey would be sarcastic or insult the others, unintentionally or otherwise. It was a reminder that sometimes, he was smart enough to see when his friends were doing stupid things. 

• Love 8
(edited)

@Mr. Meatball Man - Exactly!  Agreed on all fronts.

I think - I THINK - I have read interviews where maybe Matt LeBlanc kind of steered Joey in this direction because he couldn't picture a sleazy womanizer being so close with these 3 women?  Does anyone else remember that also?  So he became the lovable goof he started being in Season 2?

Also, people kept saying that Rachel was supposed to be "spoiled" in Season 1, but Rachel is my favourite character - so I admit, I take criticisms of her personally - But I really, really feel she didn't keep up that whole "spoiled" persona Season 2 and on.  She seemed pretty down to earth, just in love with fashion, and a little boy-crazy, etc.  But not spoiled.  It's not like she was selfish, or jealous of people's success?  That's just my impression though.  I think maybe Jen Aniston steered Rachel away from this spoiled princess because maybe she played Rachel another way.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 8

Yeah I didn’t think Rachel was really shown as being spoiled past season 1, though it was kind of a running joke about her . I guess in every show , season 1 is just a trial for the characters because generally , all the characters are much different by season 2. I liked the change they made with everyone on this show except for turning Ross into a Joey in later seasons . The earlier seasons showed him as a one woman man who didn’t enjoy being single but later seasons showed him jumping from girl to girl and I feel like his maturity regressed a bit . I also don’t know how they kept the possibility of Ross and Rachel going for as long as they did because once he met Emily , he seemed over her from then on . I also feel like phoebe got more annoying as each season passed and I wouldn’t have minded lifting her right out of the group lol 

• Love 2
(edited)
4 minutes ago, Jaclyn88 said:

Yeah I didn’t think Rachel was really shown as being spoiled past season 1, though it was kind of a running joke about her . 

Yes, that's right.  Ross even cruelly wrote it down as a reason not to be with her in Season 2.  (Well, after Chandler kind of forced him to make The List.)

They also made a few jokes like Rachel having a pony, etc.  So she could very well have been very wealthy and spoiled as a child (doctor's daughter), but she never "acted like it" as an adult (IMO).  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
5 minutes ago, Jaclyn88 said:

I also feel like phoebe got more annoying as each season passed and I wouldn’t have minded lifting her right out of the group lol 

Oh Phoebe became mmeeeeeeeeean.  She was actually so sweet in Season 1 and I prefer her then.

Season 4-5 is still kind of a sweet woman but she gets mean definitely Season 9.

I agree that Ross regresses, but I actually find it funny.  Monica becomes super shrill once she gets with Chandler..... but I don't want to anger any Mondler fans!!  😉

• Love 2

Rachel acted spoiled in TOW The Flashback but I can believe that the decision to run out on her wedding and live on her own quickly disabused her of those tendencies. 

22 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

Rachel acted spoiled in TOW The Flashback but I can believe that the decision to run out on her wedding and live on her own quickly disabused her of those tendencies. 

Yeah, and...as discussed here before, she seemed a bit callous in expecting Monica - someone she had lost contact with and never even invited to her wedding - to take her in.

To her credit, Rachel grew up in a lot of ways thereafter. But the yo-yoing with Ross did neither of them any favors and made them look childish. Especially the whole thing with that ridiculous letter.

• Love 5

I didn’t have a problem with Ross or any of the friends dating a lot of different people over a ten year span. My friends and I all did the same, getting married in our early to mid thirties but dating a lot in our twenties . The show was really about single people. 

Rachel showed her spoiled side a little, in terms of expecting people to drop everything and help her and finding her places to live. She wasn’t still taking money from her dad so she wasn’t as spoiled as her sisters.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Yeah, and...as discussed here before, she seemed a bit callous in expecting Monica - someone she had lost contact with and never even invited to her wedding - to take her in.

To her credit, Rachel grew up in a lot of ways thereafter. But the yo-yoing with Ross did neither of them any favors and made them look childish. Especially the whole thing with that ridiculous letter.

Yeah, if it were real life and R & R broke up AGAIN just because Ross didn't read an 18 page letter (front and back) that Rachel wrote at 5:30 am, that would be insane. Ross was actually the one throughout the series that was able to move on and he seemed to get past Rachel, but she seemed to be the one who couldn't really get over him. He was only really upset when she started dating Joey, but who wouldn't be pissed about their best friend dating their ex girlfriend?And he got over that by the end of the episode. Rachel tried to jeopardize his marriage to Emily and reverted back to Ross a few times throughout the show. 

• Love 3
(edited)
On 6/8/2019 at 9:08 PM, Mr. Meatball Man said:

Agreed. In the earlier seasons, they were actually willing to give Joey lines like that. There was one episode where he said "Was 'Egg the Gellers' the war cry of your neighborhood?" It was like Chandler entered Joey's body when he said that, and it was a line they never would have given him in season nine, when he was so stupid, he couldn't even remember what job he had. 

My favorite one will always be when Joey doesn't know why Chandler and Ross' old college friend was called "Gandalf, the Party Wizard" and Ross says "Didn't you read "Lord of the Rings" in high school?" with he and Chandler scoffing and a pissed off Joey snaps "No, I had sex in high school!"

When Joey had his own spinoff they had to increase his intelligence back up because they couldn't have the center of the show be such a dimbulb. A couple of episodes in when he finds out a guy dated both Lucy Liu and Jennifer Coolidge's characters, Joey smiles, shaking his head "This guy does not have a discernible type!"

I might have posted this on the old board but Courtney talking about Friends:

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 2

I've been watching Season 1 because of this thread, and man, I still really like it!  I think it helps when I take some time off and come back to the show again.

Here's Joey being witty again:

The One with a Dozen Lasagnas:

[Scene: The Table Store, Joey and Chandler and looking for their new table.]

Joey: Will you pick one, just pick one! Here, how about that one? (points to a table)

Chandler: That's patio furniture!

Joey: So what, like people are gonna come in and think, "Uh-oh, I'm outside again?"

• Love 4

Came across a bit of S4, and I know that TPTB decided for a fling for Monica/Chandler in England and for it to originally end not long after. But in seeing S4 again, and the episode where Chandler keeps bringing up scenarios to Monica in terms of if she would date him, I wonder how long this was in the offing? Because all through their trip to the beach house, Chandler could not seem to let it go...and then we know what happened by the end of the season.

So someone must have been laying some sort of groundwork, maybe? (And Chandler wasn't "the guy who peed on me!" for Monica, after all.  🙂 On a shallow note, Matthew Perry looked awesome in S4.

• Love 7

I dunno I always had the impression that Chandler had a bit of a crush on Monica.and that's why he wouldn't let it go at the beach house. It was most obvious in this episode but there were other episodes (I can't remember any off the top of my head) where it seemed that Chandler was interested in Monica.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Came across a bit of S4, and I know that TPTB decided for a fling for Monica/Chandler in England and for it to originally end not long after. But in seeing S4 again, and the episode where Chandler keeps bringing up scenarios to Monica in terms of if she would date him, I wonder how long this was in the offing? Because all through their trip to the beach house, Chandler could not seem to let it go...and then we know what happened by the end of the season.

So someone must have been laying some sort of groundwork, maybe? (And Chandler wasn't "the guy who peed on me!" for Monica, after all.  🙂 On a shallow note, Matthew Perry looked awesome in S4.

Yeah I think they built it up nicely, though Monica never appeared to have any interest in Chandler (except maybe a 1 or 2 of the flashback episodes). But Chandler seemed to be down for some Monica in the early seasons lol. 

I did read that the writers did plan on their pairing to be a fling originally, but the audience and fans were obsessed with them and so they decided to keep them long term. They said they knew they didn't want to make them into another Ross and Rachel with the on and off again thing, so they decided to actually make them stable lol .

• Love 3

In a flashback, Chandler tells her she is the most beautiful person he knows in real life.  I always loved that line.

I thought they built them up so nicely even early on.  In scenes when they are sitting near each other, they are very close (is she in his lap in one before they became a couple?).  They seemed closer than most of the friends.  I remember I shipped them way before the wedding day surprise.

• Love 8