Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
CuriousParker

Frasier

5 hours ago, aquarian1 said:

The only thing I didn't like about Niles' apartment is the lack of windows.  One could assume they were all on the "4th wall", I suppose.  But it did seem dark in that place, too.

Niles had a gorgeous house with Maris, too.  That one had big floor to ceiling windows, right?  I can picture Frasier there in a storm banging on the door during the Glockenschpiel episode.  "Dr. Crane, your Glockenschpiel has sprung to life!"  My point would be made better if I knew how to spell that word.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 7

16 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Niles had a gorgeous house with Maris, too.  That one had big floor to ceiling windows, right?  I can picture Frasier there in a storm banging on the door during the Glockenschpiel episode.  "Dr. Crane, your Glockenschpiel has sprung to life!"  My point would be made better if I knew how to spell that word.

Close enough. That was a great episode. I loved every chance we got to see Maris and Niles' house.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I didn't think of the windows. Frasier's views gave me vertigo though.

Me too. Any time someone went out on that balcony, I got immediate anxiety through the TV screen. A balcony that high up would need to have like 6-foot railings for me to even step one foot outside.

The only thing I didn't like about Niles' apartment is the lack of windows.  One could assume they were all on the "4th wall", I suppose.  But it did seem dark in that place, too.

Yes, even his original house (the small scenes we saw in it), it always seemed a bit dark and claustrophobic. I did love the lake house and the beach house though.

There are at least 3 bathrooms - Frasier's bedroom (has the big tub); the half bath near the front door and one off of Daphne's bedroom - which is a little odd since that room was originally Frasier's study, so why would it have a bathroom?  I suppose it could have been added by Frasier.

Well, Frasier used it as a study, but it could certainly have been intended as a bedroom. He just didn't happen to have a need to to use it as one.

Frasier's bathtub was my favorite part of that apartment, that was an amazing soaking tub.

• Like 5

I was wondering the same about Frasier's originally intended use for Daphne's room.

I was thinking he COULD have had it for his private practice.  See his patients in there and let them use the bathroom if needed.

But, he already KNEW he was the radio host in Seattle so that's not exactly needed, but maybe as a backup plan?

And it is kind of an odd set up for just an office.  But hey, if I had Frasier's money I'd want a million bedrooms and bathrooms too 😄

• Like 3

I don't think he and Niles spent equally. Meals, wine, expensive suits, yes, but Niles' residences were always sprawling estates filled with antiques and servants, plus the lake house and the beach house and who knows what else. Frasier had one really nice apartment and one accidentally live-in physical therapist/housekeeper (the position wasn't intended to be live-in at the beginning, she was supposed to do drop in visits for Martin, so that would have been far less expensive). 

When Martin moved in with Frazier, and Frazier was having difficulty caring for Martin, Niles and Maris offered to pay for a caretaker for Martin as his part in caring for their father. Daphne originally was hired for daycare only, but she had the impression that it was live-in. That's when Martin said Frazier could give up his "study" for Daphne's bedroom and  "use the can like everyone else" for his heavy thinking.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
  • Laugh 1

Do any of you use at least one quote from the show on at least a daily basis?

No, huh, just me? Oh ok then...yeah, whatever. That's not weird at all. 

My BF just randomly sent me a text with only the two words "harvest wheat" and I've been laughing ever since. He's a Fraiser weirdo too which a main reason I keep him around.

Edited by msani19
  • Like 6
  • Laugh 3

One of my favourite episodes is "A Man, A Plan, and a Gal Named Julia" or whatever it's called.  Felicity Huffman's character is so hateable but the episode is hysterical.

When Frasier is trying to draw something for her in Pictionary she gets soooo impatient with him, and says in this big, exaggerated way, "UHHH... I DON'T KNOWWWWWWWWWW."  LOL.  That line runs through my head a lot.

It's at 1:08 here 😁

• Like 2
  • Laugh 3

I thought of a good one.  My brother likes to sing "How are YOUUUUU? I'm listening" in a British accent.  This is Daphne trying to sing Martin's jingle for Frasier's radio show, but getting it wrong.  

• Like 5
  • Laugh 3

The only YouTube clip I could find here has Martin's ACTUAL lyrics.

"What's new, I'm listening.  Feeling blue, I'm listening."  etc.

• Like 4

"I'll just add that to my list of reasons to die" is one of my favorites.

And sometimes I randomly say to my husband, "And you should know how to catch a banana!"

Edited by jird
  • Like 2
  • Laugh 4

I don't have a quote that I actually use a lot with people, but "Euripides, Eumenides" goes through my mind from time to time! I wish Frasier was on at a better time for me--if I could find it at 10:00pm on cable I'd be able to watch an episode before bed. It was on at a good time years ago, but it's been so long since it was in a good slot (for me).

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Yeah, I can't think of one that I use on a regular basis with people, either, mainly 'cause I don't know anyone outside of my family who watches the show. But occasionally my mom and I do like to quote that poor guy from "Room Service" who kept saying, "Okay..." throughout the episode :p.  

• Laugh 2

On Canada they air it on CMT sometimes, which is really funny to me because it's the Country Music Channel.  And on something called "Deja" which I guess is Deja View.  It also looks like it's on Crave, which is Canada's version of HBO.

I like when Roz has to make a big speech about defending all of her purchases after borrowing money from Frasier.

I think she says something like "And the perfume?  Well I bought that for me.  Because I wanted it."  LOL.  Sometimes I say that to myself after going shopping.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 7

Going back to the topic of Frasier's finances a bit. We've been rewatching some Cheers eps during the time Lilith and Frasier had Freddie. There are frequent references to them spending boatloads of money on the baby: biodegradable diapers ("Frasier, I maxed out your gold card."), expensive toys and accessories. I never questioned Frasier's net worth because of his local celeb status and from his past private practice. He made a lot money in Boston, invested it well, and luckily, he and Lilith did not seem to have a bitter divorce settlement like Maris and Niles did. Frasier took most his money and left.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

51 minutes ago, Athena said:

Going back to the topic of Frasier's finances a bit. We've been rewatching some Cheers eps during the time Lilith and Frasier had Freddie. There are frequent references to them spending boatloads of money on the baby: biodegradable diapers ("Friaser, I maxed out your gold card."), expensive toys and accessories. I never questioned Frasier's net worth because of his local celeb status and from his past private practice. He made a lot money in Boston, invested it well, and luckily, he and Lilith did not seem to have a bitter divorce settlement like Maris and Niles did. Frasier took most his money and left.

Yes, I think Lilith had too much self respect than to try to get a lot of money out of Frasier, although I'm sure he is very generous with child support.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Yes, I think Lilith had too much self respect than to try to get a lot of money out of Frasier, although I'm sure he is very generous with child support.

I never thought about this before but I think this is one of the few TV divorces where although there was animosity (especially on Frasier's side) there was never any mention that I can recall of Lilith taking Frasier to the cleaners or constantly trying to up the child support payments.  It's pretty clear that there was never any alimony being paid out which given Lilith's own professional status should never have been an issue.  So really kudos to this show for not falling into that particular trap.  I'd say it was refreshing but it is shows that came later that seemed to harp on the "woman is a money hungry shrew" theme.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

I never thought about this before but I think this is one of the few TV divorces where although there was animosity (especially on Frasier's side) there was never any mention that I can recall of Lilith taking Frasier to the cleaners or constantly trying to up the child support payments.  It's pretty clear that there was never any alimony being paid out which given Lilith's own professional status should never have been an issue.  So really kudos to this show for not falling into that particular trap.  I'd say it was refreshing but it is shows that came later that seemed to harp on the "woman is a money hungry shrew" theme.

I hate that shit.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Athena said:

Going back to the topic of Frasier's finances a bit. We've been rewatching some Cheers eps during the time Lilith and Frasier had Freddie. There are frequent references to them spending boatloads of money on the baby: biodegradable diapers ("Friaser, I maxed out your gold card."), expensive toys and accessories. I never questioned Frasier's net worth because of his local celeb status and from his past private practice. He made a lot money in Boston, invested it well, and luckily, he and Lilith did not seem to have a bitter divorce settlement like Maris and Niles did. Frasier took most his money and left.

3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

2 hours ago, WinnieWinkle said:

I always liked that about the show and it really seemed in character for both Frasier and Lilith not to argue over money or anything. We see them working together to try and get Freddie in that one school in a Thanksgiving episode. When Lilith decides to remarry she tells Frasier in person. Frasier is honest in his feelings. He hoped he'd be first because he would feel like a loser and a little worried when Lilith mentions how well Freddie gets along with her boyfriend. She doesn't brag about it or use it to hurt him. She immediately assures him he's position as Freddie's father can't be replaced. It was really well done. 

• Like 10

I also like the way they agree on how to parent Freddie. There's that episode where he wants a mini-bike and Lilith keeps saying no, so he tries to appeal to Frasier, but Frasier sides with Lilith on that. So often you see one parent trying to be the "fun" one in those situations, especially if it's the parent that isn't with them most of the time. So I like that Frasier never tried to pull that sort of gambit and that he was always on the same page with Lilith about how to handle Freddie in those moments. 

• Like 8

The minibike episode is a classic. Loved Freddie trying to manipulate Frasier and Lilith and getting busted in the end. 

• Like 7

And Niles' reaction to Freddie telling him that his parents were getting back together: *Through forced smile** "What's this joyous news I hear?"

• Like 2
  • Laugh 10

And doesn't he immediately swing over to grab his coat and leave, all through a gritted teeth grin?  LOL

• Laugh 6

Niles had the best reactions. I liked the episode where Bebe and Frasier sleep together, and she answers the door to Niles wearing one of Frasier's shirts and announcing they're all "sitting down to a family breakfast," and Niles doesn't change expression, just reaches over and rings the doorbell again.

• Laugh 6

18 minutes ago, jird said:

Niles had the best reactions. I liked the episode where Bebe and Frasier sleep together, and she answers the door to Niles wearing one of Frasier's shirts and announcing they're all "sitting down to a family breakfast," and Niles doesn't change expression, just reaches over and rings the doorbell again.

"I'm just glad you're all right. I would've assumed she'd killed after mating." 

• Like 2
  • Laugh 12

Does anyone else yell "VENEER" and take a drink whenever they hear that word in life or on another tv show?

• Like 5
  • Laugh 1

14 minutes ago, stonehaven said:

Does anyone else yell "VENEER" and take a drink whenever they hear that word in life or on another tv show?

YES!

• Like 3
  • Laugh 1

22 hours ago, BookThief said:

I don't have a quote that I actually use a lot with people, but "Euripides, Eumenides" goes through my mind from time to time! I wish Frasier was on at a better time for me--if I could find it at 10:00pm on cable I'd be able to watch an episode before bed. It was on at a good time years ago, but it's been so long since it was in a good slot (for me).

Frazier is available on Peacock, which is on certain cable systems. I get mine included for free on Xfinity.  You can watch the whole series when and how you want. II don't know if you can purchase it separately.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

On 4/29/2021 at 5:36 PM, stonehaven said:

Not exactly that, but my weird tic version of that is that in addition to doing it with the word "veneer," this is also how my brain reads the name "Vermeer." So I'd be reading about the Dutch Masters in art history in college and bam, just "VERMEER!" every time I'd encounter his name. 

As for quotes that have stuck, the first that comes to mind is "Is it that you CAN'T learn, or that you WON'T?" Also "It would just look too weird!"

• Like 4

I liked "Frasier" back in the day, and I will still watch episodes on Hulu occasionally. While I know that having a main character tied down with an ever-present child can make for tough storytelling (unless it's a show exclusively about a family), it always kind of bothered me that Frasier was willing to move across country from his young son and see him only a few times a year, since this is before smartphones and video calls and all our modern ways to communicate.

• Like 4

Yeah - I don’t love that either. But as a condition of doing the spinoff, Kelsey didn’t want Frasier to be married to Lilith because he felt that he had already done that. I don’t think Bebe Neuwirth would have done it anyway since she only did a handful of “Cheers” episodes during its final season and didn’t even appear in the finale. So if there’s no Lilith, you really couldn’t have his son on very often. Moving him across the country put some distance between him and Lilith (not to mention the other Cheers characters).

• Like 4
  • Useful 2