Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
CuriousParker

Frasier

Recommended Posts

Ha, that's not too weird for me, because my dad worked as a radio DJ, and he was pretty well-known throughout town. Course, he also did a lot of promotional events for the stations he worked at and would meet with business owners and stuff like that, so that helped get his name and image out there. But yeah, I remember our family being out and having listeners come up and talk about how they loved hearing him on the radio and whatnot. 

I could see people who'd never heard Frasier's voice being familiar with him from others who listened to the show, or promotional ads, but even then, yeah, it would be a little odd for every one of those people to say that upon meeting him :p. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

5 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

Ha, that's not too weird for me, because my dad worked as a radio DJ, and he was pretty well-known throughout town. Course, he also did a lot of promotional events for the stations he worked at and would meet with business owners and stuff like that, so that helped get his name and image out there. But yeah, I remember our family being out and having listeners come up and talk about how they loved hearing him on the radio and whatnot. 

I could see people who'd never heard Frasier's voice being familiar with him from others who listened to the show, or promotional ads, but even then, yeah, it would be a little odd for every one of those people to say that upon meeting him :p. 

Weren't there billboards around town with his picture? I remember some kids defaced one of them and Daphne (I think) told him to take care of his teeth because missing teeth was not a good look for him.

  • Like 3
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

Yes! I also love the episode where Eddie runs off after Frasier tries to take him to get him fixed, and they're all looking for him. Daphne suddenly gets a vision of him staring at Frasier, and it cuts to a shot of Eddie sitting on a bus stop bench, staring at an ad with Frasier's face on it :p. 

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, jird said:

How is it that every person Frasier ever encounters recognizes him from the radio, sometimes even without hearing his name or voice? 😄 ("Dr. Crane? From the radio?")

I mean, I was alive in the 90s, and couldn't have identified any of the people from the radio shows I liked!

The show regularly showed advertising of his show with his picture on the sides of buses. There may have been other advertising, but the buses stick in my mind.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
21 hours ago, jird said:

How is it that every person Frasier ever encounters recognizes him from the radio, sometimes even without hearing his name or voice? 😄 ("Dr. Crane? From the radio?")

I mean, I was alive in the 90s, and couldn't have identified any of the people from the radio shows I liked!

I seem to remember that Frasier's radio show had print ads on the sides of the public buses (and perhaps other places), so people could remember his face from that. I guess his show was very popular in Seattle.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
51 minutes ago, barshi50 said:

I seem to remember that Frasier's radio show had print ads on the sides of the public buses (and perhaps other places), so people could remember his face from that. I guess his show was very popular in Seattle.

I live in Seattle and really appreciated how good they were about getting the streets and landmarks right.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

13 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I live in Seattle and really appreciated how good they were about getting the streets and landmarks right.

Although I heard that there's no way a building would have that exact view - is that right?  Not that I mind really.

And as a cool parallel I have a similar view but in my own city.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Although I heard that there's no way a building would have that exact view - is that right?  Not that I mind really.

And as a cool parallel I have a similar view but in my own city.  

Maybe not. I don't know but I could never live that high up. It would give me vertigo.

  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post

I've also read there is no building that would have that view of Seattle.

I am not a dog person, but I so enjoy Eddie(s). His trainer deserves every penny he got. If they do a reboot, they need a whole new storyline. There's no replacing Mahoney and his pooch.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
21 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I live in Seattle and really appreciated how good they were about getting the streets and landmarks right.

So is there really a zoo on Mercer Island? From the episode "The Zoo Story".

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, AD35 said:

So is there really a zoo on Mercer Island? From the episode "The Zoo Story".

No. They didn't get everything right but they did get a lot right.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Was over at the "Frasier" subreddit earlier and somebody there shared an awesome video they'd seen elsewhere of clips of the show set to Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody". I don't know who all here might've seen this, but I figured I'd share it for those of you who haven't-it's pretty clever and well done:

 

  • Like 8
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post

That was fun @Annber03!

I recently cut the cable cord so no more Cozi for me.  I know it's on Hulu and Peacock.  It was fun to have episodes randomly show up when I had cable though.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

OMG! That is AWESOME! Thanks Annber! My hubby is going to die when he sees it.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I recently watched Agents in America III, the one where Bebe goes out on the ledge so Frasier can talk her down while they're renegotiating his contract, and I am wondering if they *actually* slept together, or if Bebe just pretended they did because Frasier was too drunk to remember. He wakes up alone on the couch not knowing what happened the night before.

  • Like 3
  • Useful 3

Share this post


Link to post

I hadn't considered that possibility, but now you mention it, it does seem like the sort of thing she'd do. 

(Glad you guys enjoyed that video, by the way :).)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/11/2021 at 1:06 PM, jird said:

I recently watched Agents in America III, the one where Bebe goes out on the ledge so Frasier can talk her down while they're renegotiating his contract, and I am wondering if they *actually* slept together, or if Bebe just pretended they did because Frasier was too drunk to remember. He wakes up alone on the couch not knowing what happened the night before.

I thought she lied about it too because she has no compunctions about lieing to or manipulating Frasier. Our most recent Bebe episode was "Morning Becomes Entertainment" where she ends up loving the spotlight and trying to tempt Frasier into becoming a vapid morning TV host with her. She blackmails a couple people along the way. Harriet Sansom Harris's Bebe is one of my favourite "love to hate" (or is it love to love?) characters. I think the show did a good job of only putting her in once a season. I feel like if she was a regular or semi-regular, it would have been overkill.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

On 3/11/2021 at 1:06 PM, jird said:

I recently watched Agents in America III, the one where Bebe goes out on the ledge so Frasier can talk her down while they're renegotiating his contract, and I am wondering if they *actually* slept together, or if Bebe just pretended they did because Frasier was too drunk to remember. He wakes up alone on the couch not knowing what happened the night before.

You raise a great point: it would have been TOTALLY in character.  But I don’t think the writers of a 30-minute sitcom would have wasted such a juicy plot-point.  I would lay money that the possibility was discussed at the writers’ table, though.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/24/2021 at 9:31 PM, VCRTracking said:

I'm calling it: Frasier now has to live with Freddie.

Late to the party on this, but I was thinking that it would either be that, or Freddie has to live with Frasier for some reason (so that Frasier once again has to restructure his personal space around a family member or members, if Freddie has partner or kids in tow).  
 

I have to admit that I still wouldn’t sign up for yet another streaming service unless the reviews end up being rapturous, OR if Lilith were a series regular.  Those are my terms, Paramount+.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
21 hours ago, Peace 47 said:

Those are my terms, Paramount+.

The gauntlet has been thrown down! I like your terms

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Fun article:

https://www.gq.com/story/how-did-frasier-afford-his-apartment

Because I also can never get enough of trying to figure out how Fraiser could live that lifestyle on his Seattle local AM radio host salary! The article writer even contacted Joe Keenan (who wrote for Frasier) to ask how they would answer the question if it ever came up. I appreciate that even they knew the way he lived made no sense in reality! 

It's one of the eternal annoyances that comes up for any tv show is that none of these people can afford their apartments or houses! The one that has always made me nuts is the apartment on Friends, even the explanation doesn't ring true (it was Monica's grandmother's apartment and rent controlled), but whatever.

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I always enjoy reading ken's blog but I hadn't seen that post yet. Good to know that the writers read these articles about the show too!

I'm very comfortable with my ongoing ability to overthink a tv show that has been off the air for years. 

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post

3 hours ago, Annber03 said:

One of the show's writers, Ken Levine, responded to that article and expanded further on the "how can they afford this?" issue as well:

http://kenlevine.blogspot.com/2021/04/can-frasier-afford-his-apartment.html

Thanks for that.  I did think the radio salary number was off in that original article.  It sounded more like a radio DJ salary vs. a radio personality salary.  Radio personalities are going to make more because people listen for them more than the music.  And if they get to syndication, he'd make even more.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
29 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Thanks for that.  I did think the radio salary number was off in that original article.  It sounded more like a radio DJ salary vs. a radio personality salary.  Radio personalities are going to make more because people listen for them more than the music.  And if they get to syndication, he'd make even more.

Yeah, I'm no math expert and that number seemed small to me, too. That definitely seems more along the lines of the sort of money my dad would've made as a DJ. Plus, considering how ruthless Bebe was with Frasier and her other clients when it came to negotiating/renegotiating their contracts, no way would she settle for a five figure salary for the people she represented. Not if she wanted to get her cut of that and make her fair share as an agent. .I've always chalked that up as a valid explanation for some of Frasier's financial wealth-he had Bebe helping him, and she would see to it people like him would get paid very well. 

I've honestly never really put much thought into how characters can afford places on TV-I know the homes are often out of their price range, but I don't really pay attention beyond that. But I am glad that this information's out there all the same :D. It is fun to see how they do (or don't) explain stuff like this away. I feel the same way about shows that focus on how the medical and law professions work :p. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Frasier was in private practice in Boston. He could have made a lot of money there and invested well.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, ifionlyknew said:

Frasier was in private practice in Boston. He could have made a lot of money there and invested well.

Maybe he got in on the ground floor of the dot com boom and got out before the bust?

       Headline:

"Prominent Seattle physician indicted on insider trading charges"

  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post

On the one hand, I want to see beautiful apartments when I watch TV.  I don't want to see dumps!

On the other hand, this leads to people heavily fantasizing about real estate and geography and having very unrealistic expectations.  I'm sure shows like Full House, Frasier, Friends, Seinfeld, Sex and the City, Will & Grace etc. etc. etc. contributed to high real estate costs in San Francisco, Seattle, and New York.  

Frasier having a lot of money didn't really bother me.  He's a local celebrity and he's a psychiatrist.  I don't know.  It's not as crazy as when you watch Friends or Sex and the City.  Frasier is more on par with Seinfeld - both local celebrities doing very well for themselves and having the money to show for it.  Jerry Seinfeld's apartment wasn't magnificent, but he always had money and nice things.  But the show was very careful to explain that with him having financial success each time.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
55 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

But the show was very careful to explain that with him having financial success each time.

Yes he was literally Even Steven.

  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post

On 4/7/2021 at 10:16 AM, msani19 said:

Fun article:

https://www.gq.com/story/how-did-frasier-afford-his-apartment

Because I also can never get enough of trying to figure out how Fraiser could live that lifestyle on his Seattle local AM radio host salary! The article writer even contacted Joe Keenan (who wrote for Frasier) to ask how they would answer the question if it ever came up. I appreciate that even they knew the way he lived made no sense in reality! 

It's one of the eternal annoyances that comes up for any tv show is that none of these people can afford their apartments or houses! The one that has always made me nuts is the apartment on Friends, even the explanation doesn't ring true (it was Monica's grandmother's apartment and rent controlled), but whatever.

 

I never got the sense that Frasier's show was just local, I always assumed he was on the level of a Dr. Ruth or someone like that, with syndication deals outside the area.

And this was one of the few shows where I never doubted that he could afford his lifestyle. I'm floored that someone calculated his salary at $27,000 per year. Even in 1993, that was low pay. I assumed he was making $250k or more with his radio career and having had a psychiatry practice for years before that along with his wife, also a dr in that field, his wealth made sense to me.

It's not like Rachel from Friends becoming a fashion executive out of nowhere after being a coffeehouse waitress for a couple years and with zero experience in the fashion field. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, ljenkins782 said:

I never got the sense that Frasier's show was just local, I always assumed he was on the level of a Dr. Ruth or someone like that, with syndication deals outside the area.

 

I don't think he was syndicated.  Some of the episodes over the years revolved around him hoping for syndication and it not working out.  I remember at one point he's talking about his show, to Niles I think, and says something like " My show is heard every day by over half a million listeners in the Pacific Northwest and parts of Canada".

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, ljenkins782 said:

I never got the sense that Frasier's show was just local, I always assumed he was on the level of a Dr. Ruth or someone like that, with syndication deals outside the area.

I seem to remember him even saying as much in an episode (the one where they try to go into private practice together):

Quote

If I were interested in self-promotion, I guess I'd be content with my radio show. Heard every day by over half a million listeners in the Pacific Northwest and parts of Canada.

https://tvquot.es/frasier/shrink-rap/ 

ETA: @WinnieWinkle and I posted at the same time :p!

Edited by Annber03
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, ljenkins782 said:

I never got the sense that Frasier's show was just local, I always assumed he was on the level of a Dr. Ruth or someone like that, with syndication deals outside the area.

I thought he got the opportunity to get syndication with taking over that show time in Spokane? I don't think he was more widely heard than that, but did he mention something like if you had a really good car radio someone could hear it - ugh I can't remember where! 

 I do agree that $27,000/ year as his salary is not reasonable even in the 90s. Yes, I'd say he was making 6-figures.  If we go with the money he made as a very pricey psychiatrist in Boston and possibly some decent investments, then I can almost make myself believe it. 

What makes it hard to believe though is that he spent exactly the way Niles did. Niles, despite having his practice, was definitely spending Maris' fortune to support his lifestyle. Frasier didn't have that kind of pot of gold. Remember the episode where we meet his accountant who said he had to hire someone just to calculate his wine spending! 

I kinda figured Niles would probably have earned upwards of $200k- $350k. If Frasier earned a similar salary back in Boston (and maybe a little more), he might be able to buy a $1M+ apartment? Possibly. 


Sigh, am I overthinking this again? Yes indeed I am, it's one of my favorite pastimes. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
55 minutes ago, msani19 said:

I thought he got the opportunity to get syndication with taking over that show time in Spokane? I don't think he was more widely heard than that, but did he mention something like if you had a really good car radio someone could hear it - ugh I can't remember where! 

 I do agree that $27,000/ year as his salary is not reasonable even in the 90s. Yes, I'd say he was making 6-figures.  If we go with the money he made as a very pricey psychiatrist in Boston and possibly some decent investments, then I can almost make myself believe it. 

What makes it hard to believe though is that he spent exactly the way Niles did. Niles, despite having his practice, was definitely spending Maris' fortune to support his lifestyle. Frasier didn't have that kind of pot of gold. Remember the episode where we meet his accountant who said he had to hire someone just to calculate his wine spending! 

I kinda figured Niles would probably have earned upwards of $200k- $350k. If Frasier earned a similar salary back in Boston (and maybe a little more), he might be able to buy a $1M+ apartment? Possibly. 


Sigh, am I overthinking this again? Yes indeed I am, it's one of my favorite pastimes. 

I don't think he and Niles spent equally. Meals, wine, expensive suits, yes, but Niles' residences were always sprawling estates filled with antiques and servants, plus the lake house and the beach house and who knows what else. Frasier had one really nice apartment and one accidentally live-in physical therapist/housekeeper (the position wasn't intended to be live-in at the beginning, she was supposed to do drop in visits for Martin, so that would have been far less expensive). 

So Niles spending Maris' money along with his own accounted for the extra fancy things he had, but I think his own practice could have supported a lifestyle similar to Frasier's.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, ljenkins782 said:

I don't think he and Niles spent equally. Meals, wine, expensive suits, yes, but Niles' residences were always sprawling estates filled with antiques and servants, plus the lake house and the beach house and who knows what else. Frasier had one really nice apartment and one accidentally live-in physical therapist/housekeeper (the position wasn't intended to be live-in at the beginning, she was supposed to do drop in visits for Martin, so that would have been far less expensive). 

So Niles spending Maris' money along with his own accounted for the extra fancy things he had, but I think his own practice could have supported a lifestyle similar to Frasier's.

Didn't Maris give him an allowance?

Share this post


Link to post

On 4/12/2021 at 8:38 PM, msani19 said:

I kinda figured Niles would probably have earned upwards of $200k- $350k. If Frasier earned a similar salary back in Boston (and maybe a little more), he might be able to buy a $1M+ apartment? Possibly.

Would Frasier's Seattle apartment be $1 million in the early 90s?  Does anyone know?  I'm a little surprised. 
Toronto is supposed to be very pricey and while an apartment like that might be $1 million Canadian NOW, I feel like 30 years ago it would be very different.

Frasier's apartment had high ceilings and a great view, but it's only 1 floor.  3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms I believe.  Then again there's no way that Frasier would share a bathroom with Martin so is it possible that it's 3 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms?

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

He has a bathroom off his bedroom, as seen in the episode when Niles spends the night on a cot in his room.  Frasier was also well off enough that months of being unemployed didn't change his lifestyle after he got the whole station fired.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

There are at least 3 bathrooms - Frasier's bedroom (has the big tub); the half bath near the front door and one off of Daphne's bedroom - which is a little odd since that room was originally Frasier's study, so why would it have a bathroom?  I suppose it could have been added by Frasier.

I think that Martin's bedroom has its own bath as well. 

So 3 beds and 4 baths?  I think we've seen Martin's bedroom once and it was a smaller room, like Daphne's. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, raven said:

There are at least 3 bathrooms - Frasier's bedroom (has the big tub); the half bath near the front door and one off of Daphne's bedroom - which is a little odd since that room was originally Frasier's study, so why would it have a bathroom?  I suppose it could have been added by Frasier.

I think that Martin's bedroom has its own bath as well. 

So 3 beds and 4 baths?  I think we've seen Martin's bedroom once and it was a smaller room, like Daphne's. 

3 beds and 3 1/2 baths since the powder room by the front door doesn't have a tub or shower.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

There have been estimates that based on where the apartment is in Seattle currently, the apartment would be upwards of $3-4M. So going back in time, the estimate is around $1M. Of course, this is all make believe since there isn't really a part of Seattle with the view that he has (view of the Space Needle etc). Maybe $1M is on the very high-end of what the apartment would have been worth in the early 90s, but maybe possibly around 500k? 

Aren't there floor plans floating around for his apartment? I know I've seen one in the past but can't recall right now. I'll see if I can find it. I do think the place is 3 bedrooms, 3 1/2 bathrooms. Each bedroom had a bathroom and the powder room off the living room. 

  • Like 3
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

This is one crazy-ass layout.  No worse than any other sitcom though.  The Golden Girls have to add extra dimensions in space to work, for example. :D

Arch2O-25-perfectly-detailed-floor-plans-of-homes-from-popular-tv-shows-2-2021x1600.jpeg

Source

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post

29 minutes ago, aquarian1 said:

This is one crazy-ass layout.  No worse than any other sitcom though.  The Golden Girls have to add extra dimensions in space to work, for example. 😄

That's the layout I was thinking off! It is a wild looking layout! The one thing that always, always made me laugh was when they would go into the very open kitchen to have private conversations! That design was weird. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, msani19 said:

There have been estimates that based on where the apartment is in Seattle currently, the apartment would be upwards of $3-4M. So going back in time, the estimate is around $1M. Of course, this is all make believe since there isn't really a part of Seattle with the view that he has (view of the Space Needle etc). Maybe $1M is on the very high-end of what the apartment would have been worth in the early 90s, but maybe possibly around 500k? 

Aren't there floor plans floating around for his apartment? I know I've seen one in the past but can't recall right now. I'll see if I can find it. I do think the place is 3 bedrooms, 3 1/2 bathrooms. Each bedroom had a bathroom and the powder room off the living room. 

Wow!  Thanks for the information.

It really is an incredible apartment.  I love it, and I love looking at it when I watch the show.

Now that I'm realizing the PLETHORA of bathrooms, it does make sense of how expensive it would be.  I can't believe I forgot about the ultrafamous bathroom / powder room right when you walk in the door.

I've never had more than 1 bathroom in an apartment!  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

It really is an incredible apartment.  I love it, and I love looking at it when I watch the show.

The one that makes me drool is Niles' apartment after he splits up with Maris. The beautiful staircase and the decor is my dream house.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

The one that makes me drool is Niles' apartment after he splits up with Maris. The beautiful staircase and the decor is my dream house.

That staircase is amazing.

I always crack up when Frasier yells in exasperation at Niles "You have FOUR roofs over your head!" The gift wrapping room, hilarious. Never change Niles! 

  • Like 7
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post

The only thing I didn't like about Niles' apartment is the lack of windows.  One could assume they were all on the "4th wall", I suppose.  But it did seem dark in that place, too.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

And that little passageway that Martin has to wade through to get to the bathroom. I love when he finds the aspirin in there and brings it down for Niles.

"Dad, this aspirin's expired."

"Well, it wasn't when I found it." 

2 hours ago, msani19 said:

The one thing that always, always made me laugh was when they would go into the very open kitchen to have private conversations! That design was weird. 

Yes! And sometimes you could hear what they said, sometimes not. Kind of like with the front door. 

  • Like 4
  • Laugh 5

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, msani19 said:

That staircase is amazing.

I always crack up when Frasier yells in exasperation at Niles "You have FOUR roofs over your head!" The gift wrapping room, hilarious. Never change Niles! 

They also used this on Will and Grace after Grace moved out.  😄 I'm pretty sure Will and Jack wrapped their cereal and milk and then opened it before eating breakfast.

  • Like 3
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
27 minutes ago, aquarian1 said:

The only thing I didn't like about Nile's apartment is the lack of windows.  One could assume they were all on the "4th wall", I suppose.  But it did seem dark in that place, too.

I didn't think of the windows. Frasier's views gave me vertigo though.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size