Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk

• Start Topic

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 0:32 AM, Irlandesa said:

I remember not wanting Niles and Daphne to get together at first.  I was loving the "unseen Maris" so much.  I always pictured her as Valerie Mahaffey who co-starred with DHP on the hilarious but short lived The Powers That Be

ooooooooooo- that could be  a fun game:  "What Would Maris Look Like To You?"

I always pictured Maris with dark hair, and the two that most come to mind are Lara Flynn Boyle and Annabeth Gish.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001223/?ref_=nv_sr_1

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001272/

Edited by Tunia

I jumped to a S6 episode last night, to Tell the Truth. I like the moral dilemma Frasier faced in this one, about whether or not to lie under oath concerning Niles and his feelings for Daphne. Martin suggests he should, as he believes Maris is responsible for the divorce.

We get an excellent line from Frasier in response: "Ethics is what we do when no one else is looking!" And he points out that he learned this from Martin.

Niles comes to his brother's rescue by telling him that he'll tell Donny the truth. And he wonders how much at fault he is for the divorce: "Well, I started to wonder, maybe my feelings for Daphne did affect my marriage. Maybe on some intuitive level Maris knew all along." 

Of course, Maris's family secret is 'flushed out' and saves everyone the trouble, but I do like the self-examination of the Cranes here. It's something the show often did very well.

Edited by Altair Aquila
  • Love 5

Another good episode choice. I too love the way they deal with and discuss the dilemma throughout. And I like the whole "talking comet" conversation :p. 

For some reason, I also really like this line from Niles in that episode, in regards to how Daphne will find out about his feelings for her: "I wanted to whisper it to her over a candlelit dinner, not have it read back to her by a court stenographer!" Something about the way DHP delivers that line just really adds to your sympathy for him in regards to this whole mess. 

To say nothing of the bittersweet ending at the cafe :(. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Altair Aquila said:

And worse was to come when Niles had to sit and watch Donny propose to Daphne. I still watch that scene through my fingers. 

Oh, god, yes. That scene is utterly devastating. As right as Frasier is about the way Niles tried to "advise" Daphne about her vision, I still just want to give Niles the biggest hug ever after Daphne says yes to Donny. He's just so completely heartbroken. Such great acting in that moment. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 3

I watched Perspectives On Christmas last night. Another classic case of Frasier unintentionally blabbing someone's secret.

I like the Martin and Daphne plot in this one, too. I sometimes feel that their relationship is underrated. I always enjoy their scenes together. Thinking ahead to how Martin misses her after she marries Niles and moves out, I'm really glad that he finally has a daughter-in-law he likes and is comfortable with, a daughter-in-law he loves. Not that Daphne had any competition on that front before. ;) 

And though Frasier's loose lips drop Roz in the soup in this one, I enjoy episodes where she's with the Cranes as part of their family. 

I might watch The Fight Before Christmas next, and see Frasier's babbling land Niles in the soup this time. ;) 

• Love 3
26 minutes ago, Altair Aquila said:

I like the Martin and Daphne plot in this one, too. I sometimes feel that their relationship is underrated. I always enjoy their scenes together. Thinking ahead to how Martin misses her after she marries Niles and moves out, I'm really glad that he finally has a daughter-in-law he likes and is comfortable with, a daughter-in-law he loves. Not that Daphne had any competition on that front before. ;) 

Heh, so true. But agreed on Martin and Daphne's relationship. They had some very sweet scenes together. I don't blame her for getting the wrong idea about Martin's health-I might've jumped to the same conclusions myself if I were her!

My favorite thing about the episode is Martin ranting about what happened when he was singing his song at the play, with Eddie taking off with the baby Jesus doll halfway through the scene. I particularly love how he talks about "half the town of Bethlehem" chasing after Eddie-the way he says that just cracks me up and gives me some really funny mental images :D. 

And though Frasier's loose lips drop Roz in the soup in this one, I enjoy episodes where she's with the Cranes as part of their family. 

Also agreed :). The scene with them at the mall is hilarious, too, with Roz shouting at him and just generally ranting and being cranky. I think this may be my personal favorite of all the Christmas episodes of this show, actually. 

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

Heh, so true. But agreed on Martin and Daphne's relationship. They had some very sweet scenes together. I don't blame her for getting the wrong idea about Martin's health-I might've jumped to the same conclusions myself if I were her!

My favorite thing about the episode is Martin ranting about what happened when he was singing his song at the play, with Eddie taking off with the baby Jesus doll halfway through the scene. I particularly love how he talks about "half the town of Bethlehem" chasing after Eddie-the way he says that just cracks me up and gives me some really funny mental images :D. 

Also agreed :). The scene with them at the mall is hilarious, too, with Roz shouting at him and just generally ranting and being cranky. I think this may be my personal favorite of all the Christmas episodes of this show, actually. 

Those are awesome! I also love in the beginning when Frasier's cellphone rings and he immediately answers it knowing its Roz's mother. 'I thought you might call back'.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I think this may be my personal favorite of all the Christmas episodes of this show, actually. 

I think it's mine, too. I do like the following season's Merry Christmas, Mrs Moskowitz. It has fabulous Faye. I really could kick Frasier in late S6, although when it comes to his love life I could kick him most of the time.

• Love 3
On 12/8/2017 at 10:48 PM, Tunia said:

Niles in his Jesus costume is the funniest thing I've seen on TV since Carol Burnett came down the stairs wearing Tara's drapes and drapery rod.  Both are classics.

I think he looks like Eric Stoltz in Pulp Fiction.

• Love 2
On 12/8/2017 at 6:44 PM, peacheslatour said:

My favorite Christmas episode is the one with the Outlaw Lazer Robo-Geek. Always gets me sniffing.

Martin saving Freddie's Christmas. <3

I'm on a bit of a Martin Crane celebration in my rewatch. Anyone have any favourite Martin episodes/moments? The above definitely counts for me. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Altair Aquila said:

Martin saving Freddie's Christmas. <3

I'm on a bit of a Martin Crane celebration in my rewatch. Anyone have any favourite Martin episodes/moments? The above definitely counts for me. 

Thanks for asking a great question, Altair Aquila. The first one that popped into my head was during the episode where he and Frasier meet Maureen, the cop who was played by Jane Kaczmarek. It's when Martin and Maureen are sitting in the bar having their first conversation, and Martin is unintentionally flirty, flashing that killer smile. He's actually sexy in that scene, and you can see a glimpse of the younger Martin, who must have been quite the charmer. 

• Love 8

I love when Roz interviews Martin for practice at being a radio host the way he answers about taking a girl out on the first date talking to her and learning what she likes so he could do something special on the next date. Also when he explains to Frasier why he broke up with Sherry after saying 'I love you' to her. It was made sense that it would surprise and effect him.  Also the episode where he meets Irene via peeping into her window. 

• Love 7

I love the episode where he finishes that song he wanted to send to Frank Sinatra. It's fun to see him get so into it as he's working on it with Frasier and Niles, and I feel for him so much when it gets rejected. I loved his story about his dream of him and Hester going to a little club somewhere and hearing Sinatra sing one of his songs. 

2 hours ago, rubaco said:

Martin is unintentionally flirty, flashing that killer smile. He's actually sexy in that scene, and you can see a glimpse of the younger Martin, who must have been quite the charmer. 

That's another part of why I like the Frank Sinatra song episode. When he's heading off to bed after they finish the song, he's humming the song to himself and he slings that clothing over his shoulder and grins. It's just plain adorable. 

• Love 7

The Valentine one where Martin goes to the opera with Frasier and pretends to be gay. He was funny and when he realized Edward was his date. Trying to pretend Niles was his boyfriend. But I liked when the two talk about being fathers spending time with their sons and Martin taking Edward home so Frasier could have his date.

• Love 11
6 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I love the episode where he finishes that song he wanted to send to Frank Sinatra. It's fun to see him get so into it as he's working on it with Frasier and Niles, and I feel for him so much when it gets rejected. I loved his story about his dream of him and Hester going to a little club somewhere and hearing Sinatra sing one of his songs. 

That's another part of why I like the Frank Sinatra song episode. When he's heading off to bed after they finish the song, he's humming the song to himself and he slings that clothing over his shoulder and grins. It's just plain adorable. 

Agreed. That's one of my favourite Martin episodes. 

It also made me think of Martin coming up with a little jingle for Frasier's radio show in S7, which Kenny liked, after the elaborate lengths Frasier went to.  ;)

I don't rewatch the later seasons as much but they still have their moments. A Day in May, where Martin attends the parole hearing of the man who shot him, just makes me want to hug Martin. John Mahoney was excellent. He could make Martin as vulnerable as he was funny. 

As an aside, I still think Martin is as cute as a button in the red, yellow and green Christmas jumper Daphne bought for him. Again, I just want to cuddle him. :) 

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, Altair Aquila said:

Agreed. That's one of my favourite Martin episodes. 

It also made me think of Martin coming up with a little jingle for Frasier's radio show in S7, which Kenny liked, after the elaborate lengths Frasier went to.  ;)

Yes :D! He definitely has a knack for songwriting. Neat how they kept that a bit of a consistent thing with him over the show's run. 

I don't rewatch the later seasons as much but they still have their moments. A Day in May, where Martin attends the parole hearing of the man who shot him, just makes me want to hug Martin. John Mahoney was excellent. He could make Martin as vulnerable as he was funny. 

Ohhhhhh, yes. That's a really good storyline for him. The way he's so torn between his personal feelings and the feelings of the guy's mom...he played that so well. And you could sympathize with him no matter what choice he made. 

Another good example of this is the episode where he claims he was the one who cheated on Hester all those years ago, instead of the other way around. The way he tries so hard to defend her, and his wanting to forgive her for what she did, is so bittersweet. 

As an aside, I still think Martin is as cute as a button in the red, yellow and green Christmas jumper Daphne bought for him. Again, I just want to cuddle him. :) 

Aw, yeah. That was a nice look :).

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Another good example of this is the episode where he claims he was the one who cheated on Hester all those years ago, instead of the other way around. The way he tries so hard to defend her, and his wanting to forgive her for what she did, is so bittersweet. 

Yes. That he was willing to incur his sons' upset and disappointment with him in order to protect their memories of their mother, that's Martin to the core. It was all the more meaningful given that it was early in the series and the Cranes were still crusty with one another. 

Our Father Whose Art Ain't Heaven is next on my rewatch list. :)

• Love 4

I started watching the beginning of the show again, and I always forget how unlikable they allow Frasier to be in some of the first episodes.  They were probably counting on people's Cheers fondness for the character to ride it through. But there's the scene where Frasier is fed up with how he can't get any quiet time to read his book and he decides to move Martin out.  And Martin makes a speech about how getting close takes time  and work, and that he is willing to try...if Frasier is.  And then right after that is the episode where Frasier and Niles go with him to the Timber Mill restaurant, and they are really quite horrible snobs and rude to everyone, and he tears into them about how their mother had too much class to ever make someone else feel low.

In fact, I like all of the episodes where Martin points out that they are so "open-minded"--until it comes to things they think are "beneath them."

• Love 6

One of the hardest things to pin down in the show is Hester. Martin talks about her as warm and fun and caring, but the boys kind of idolize her as the parent who taught them everything they know. In "Momma Mia," she was the way Martin described, but "Don Juan in Hell" made her look kind of cold and methodical, but that was Frasier's image of her.

Then there's the Cheers episode where she showed up to try paying Diane to stay away from Frasier.

• Love 4
On 12/16/2017 at 5:32 PM, ketose said:

In "Momma Mia," she was the way Martin described, but "Don Juan in Hell" made her look kind of cold and methodical, but that was Frasier's image of her.

I don't know what episode it was, but didn't Niles once say something like "Like Mom always said, a handshake is as good as a hug."?

One of my favorite Martin moments was the episode where he bought Frasier that bull painting he lied about liking...I felt so bad for Martin when he cried!  And I liked when Frasier cried to Niles "I made Dad cry!!!"

• Love 4
23 hours ago, ByTor said:

One of my favorite Martin moments was the episode where he bought Frasier that bull painting he lied about liking...I felt so bad for Martin when he cried!  And I liked when Frasier cried to Niles "I made Dad cry!!!"

And when Niles comes in and ask why everyone is crying - Frasier says "I'm the most ungrateful son!" and Martin says "I can't do anything for my son!" And Niles cries "No one wants to come to my party!" Those three were just wonderful together!

• Love 7
Just now, Nordly Beaumont said:

And when Niles comes in and ask why everyone is crying - Frasier says "I'm the most ungrateful son!" and Martin says "I can't do anything for my son!" And Niles cries "No one wants to come to my party!" Those three were just wonderful together!

That was awesome too!  Those three really did play off each other perfectly :)

• Love 4

I just rewatched on Netflix the episode where Frasier, Niles and Martin visit Lilith and Frederick for Thanksgiving, and Lilith and Frasier have the prep school interview.  Man, that is a funny episode.  I said in the romance thread here that I liked Faye for Frasier (out of the options presented), but it’s really too bad that they didn’t get Bebe Neuwerth as a regular for this show because she had great chemistry with the entire cast, and even though they played to each other’s worst instincts in this episode, Frasier and Lilith were really a great match.  (Who else would tolerate those two but each other?  haha).

People say upthread that David Hyde Pierce is so good at physical comedy, and one more illustration of that is when Lilith and Frasier come back and take away the turkey in the oven.  When DHP comes back into the kitchen, opens the oven door, finds the turkey to be missing, stands perplexed for a minute, then cautiously looks up at the ceiling for lack of other places to check, I genuinely lol’d.

That little kid was good in the episode, too:  that was a great moment when Lilith and Frasier breeze out the door again, tell Frederick to “go play with Grandpa” and he just looks warily at the door, obviously not wanting to get injured again.

• Love 7

"I got pills for everything" - poor Freddie!

I've seen online that Kelsey Grammer's attributes some of his moves and reactions to Jack Benny and Bette Davis. I watch an old movie called "The Apartment" on New Year's Eve - I have for many years and always think only Jack Lemmon could play that part and make it so charming. But this time while I was watching, I noticed a little dance move Jack Lemmon does and I thought "David Hyde Pierce!" For the rest of the movie I kept seeing that DHP moves and reacts quite a bit like Jack Lemmon (in this movie anyway, I don't know JL's work that well). I've never heard that DHP is an admirer of his, it's probably just a coincidence. But once I noticed I couldn't get it out of my head.

• Love 2
On 12/16/2016 at 3:51 PM, camom said:

I think tonight will be my annual viewing of "High Holidays."  It's one of my favorite episodes.  Niles acting high when he wasn't and Martin actually being high.  Classic.

This is probably my favorite episode ever and it made me so angry that Hallmark would skip it.

• Love 3

I'm not a dog person - like them okay.  I know they are trainable, but I never cease to be impressed with what they get Eddie to do. Sometimes it feels like Eddie is the star - he's so cute and funny with what they have him doing.

• Love 5

I like it when Eddie is annoying Frasier, such as jumping up so Frasier can still see him over his newspaper.  :) 

There was a S11 episode on the other day and I liked the cat Frasier was looking after, especially the look it gave him when Frasier suggested a warm bath. :D

• Love 3
9 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I'm not a dog person - like them okay.  I know they are trainable, but I never cease to be impressed with what they get Eddie to do. Sometimes it feels like Eddie is the star - he's so cute and funny with what they have him doing.

I’m the same on not being a dog person, but Eddie is adorable.  I liked the flashback episode (where Frasier is listening to the tape of his first show given to him by Roz), and we see that Eddie actually used to be obsessed with Niles, until Niles turned him towards Frasier and said “Frasier is the first born.”

That episode is kind of surprising to me in how terrible things were between Frasier, Niles and Martin before the start of the series.  Perhaps between Frasier and Niles most notably, given how they were best friends from the start of the series.  Their mother’s death really threw things off kilter, although I think Frasier living across the country didn’t help much.

Edited by Peace 47
  • Love 3
13 hours ago, Peace 47 said:

I’m the same on not being a dog person, but Eddie is adorable.  I liked the flashback episode (where Frasier is listening to the tape of his first show given to him by Roz), and we see that Eddie actually used to be obsessed with Niles, until Niles turned him towards Frasier and said “Frasier is the first born.”

That episode is kind of surprising to me in how terrible things were between Frasier, Niles and Martin before the start of the series.  Perhaps between Frasier and Niles most notably, given how they were best friends from the start of the series.  Their mother’s death really threw things off kilter, although I think Frasier living across the country didn’t help much.

I didn't get the impression they were best friends in the beginning.  More that they believed they knew each other very well, and at first each had little social outlet other than his brother.  And they grew closer as they interacted regularly and spent time together again, once Frasier was back in Seattle.

• Love 4

In all honesty, it was probably Daphne that was the reason Niles ended up joining the Crane men bonding. Frasier and Martin living together, them getting closer was a foregone conclusion but if she hadn't been around, I doubt Niles would've shown up at Frasier's place very much.

• Love 4

Yeah, I guess that I was mistaken that they got along well at the beginning of the series.  In the pilot, Niles only seems to be having coffee with Frasier to talk about their father, and Niles and Frasier are even sniping a bit at each other.  By the end of the season, they’re having a relaxed coffee with each other and having a good chat about whether they’re happy.  So it took awhile.

That is what made me a little sad about Frasier moving away at the end of the series:  things had deteriorated with his family while he was away last time.  Not that it would happen again (given how close they grew), but their relationship was helped by closeness and being a part of each other’s daily lives.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, Peace 47 said:

Yeah, I guess that I was mistaken that they got along well at the beginning of the series.  In the pilot, Niles only seems to be having coffee with Frasier to talk about their father, and Niles and Frasier are even sniping a bit at each other.  By the end of the season, they’re having a relaxed coffee with each other and having a good chat about whether they’re happy.  So it took awhile.

That is what made me a little sad about Frasier moving away at the end of the series:  things had deteriorated with his family while he was away last time.  Not that it would happen again (given how close they grew), but their relationship was helped by closeness and being a part of each other’s daily lives.

Me too. I wish he had stayed. When the series started he was divorced, the career he had in Boston had grown stagnant and he was estrange from his father and brother. That all changed during the series. By the end he built a new career and was successful and was now so close to his father and brother. Maybe have his radio show expand to more cities or switched to talk shows. But I can't imagine why he would want to leave that.          

• Love 3

I always forger how much I love this show until a certain scene will pop into my head and I go running to my Frasier DVD collection and fall in love all over again. Like all of you, I love the Cranes and their relationships with one another, and of course I'm including Eddie. To paraphrase someone else, it's that perfect balance of clever wit and genuine, unforced warmth.  The show's snarky lines about psychology and therapy are perfect, and yet somehow the show never totally dismisses the importance of the work that Niles and Frasier do or comes off as cruel to the people who seek out their counseling. Maybe it's because I studied psychology when I was in college a million years ago, but I really love that aspect of the show. It separates it from every other family-centric and workplace-based sitcom.

Unlike most of you, I don't love either of the main female characters, which sucks because I'm one of those people who really loves to connect and root for the female characters on my shows.  Daphne is the type of character I'd usually love, but the acting, the writing or some other factor I can't identify just make her really grating to me. I especially disliked her when she became more bitter and shrill in later seasons, but even when she was comparatively more of a positive and cheerful character, she really annoyed me. I do appreciate how Daphne's role gave Niles even more depth and hilarious moments, though - he's one of my favorite characters in TV history! I like Roz more than Daphne, but I don't really relate to her and found her hard to warm up to. I agree with someone who said that she's one of the characters who became more likable later on in the series. I'm usually one of those curmudgeons who doesn't like a lot of focus on babies and children on my shows, but I think motherhood ended up adding another dimension to Roz. I remember finding Roz more likable and interesting when she discovered she was pregnant in season 5, while usually surprise pregnancy plots have me sighing and wanting to skip certain scenes :) 

I have trouble falling in love with most of the sitcoms that have come out since Frasier. Some are sweet and positive but are too silly for me and lack Frasier's razor sharp wit (or any wit, lol). Others have more wit but seem to lack any heart. Frasier was nearly perfect in that regard, and at this point I'm happy to just keep rewatching my DVDs instead of forcing myself to try to get into most of the newer sitcoms! 

Since people were confessing unpopular opinions awhile ago, I will admit that this contrary part of me loved the idea of Niles with Roz. There's just something about the way their personalities contrast and complement each other's that makes me feel like they could have been not just funny but surprisingly sweet as a couple. Leave it to me to be drawn to the one pairing on any show that had zero chance of ever happening!

I want to belatedly join the conversation about favorite episodes but am having trouble choosing fewer than about 200 of the 264 episodes :-) In general, I agree with the person who said that their favorite episodes are often ones that focus a little less on dating and love interests and more on the family relationships, work and other types of plots. I also agree that the Christmas episodes are all perfect! If I made myself pick just 10 episodes, I think at least five or six of them would be Christmas episodes.

I was going to cop out and name seasons 1-5 as all tied as favorites, but after looking over the episode listings again I think season 2 may have more favorite than any other season. Season 5 is close too: The Ski Lodge and Room Service alone would make that one I'm taking with me to a desert island.

It's so great that there's this community of people who still love the show!

• Love 6

I forgot to say how much I also love the final season of the show. It amazes me that this show could be so phenomenal in its 11th season when most shows start to take a sharp turn for the worse after three or four :)

• Love 7
On 1/8/2018 at 9:04 PM, chessiegal said:

I've just gotten started watching this show on Netflix - I was an adolescent when it originally aired, but I really don't know why I didn't watch back then. At any rate, I'm enjoying myself greatly, especially with Eddie! I too am amazed at the things they get this little guy to do here.

• Love 3

Speaking of Eddie, yesterday I watched The Unkindest Cut Of All. It has one of my favourite Roz moments, when she coos over a puppy before handing him back Frasier.

"Roz! How can you just toss him aside after such a tender display of affection?"

"I can do it with men, too. "  

• Love 3

I went and watched Niles’ segment of “Three Valentines” just because I checked in on this thread.  It’s so funny and one of the most (maybe the most) delightful bits of sitcom physical comedy that I can recall seeing.

It always gives me pause, though, that they had Niles faint at the sight of a little blood (multiple times!) when he actually graduated medical school.  He never would have survived his med school rotations, would he? ;-)

Edited by Peace 47
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, Peace 47 said:

I went and watched Niles’ segment of “Three Valentines” just because I checked in on this thread.  It’s so funny and one of the most (maybe the most) delightful bits of sitcom physical comedy that I can recall seeing.

It always gives me pause, though, that they had Niles faint at the sight of a little blood (multiple times!) when he actually graduated medical school.  He never would have survived his med school rotations, would he? ;-)

Agreed - but maybe it was his own blood that made him faint. Either way, that segment is so funny I don't care.

• Love 5

Oh yeah, I always think that more in a tongue-and-cheek way than as something that bothers me.  It’s just from my extensive medical training via years of being an ER fan, I always briefly think about what medical students have to go through to graduate.  They’re very consistent in this show, though, about Niles’ squeamishness:  Niles mentions in that one episode where the cabbie gives birth that he passed out at the birth he attended in medical school.  I’m with you, Niles, the sight of blood sends me to the fainting couch.

This show has become one of favorites for being on in the background on Netflix while I’m working or doing housework or getting ready.  (I skip around and just watch random eps.)  I watched the ep where Shelley Long visits and Diane tries to stage the play in Seattle.  The episode has a nice ending in terms of closure for Frasier with Diane, and I really like how Frasier says that his unburdening himself was “just something that needed to be said” when Diane starts to express how badly she feels.

But I’ve also been watching Cheers on Netflix, too, and Frasier actually did already explode at Diane a couple of times over their breakup, and she clearly got the message at least once (at her dinner at Frasier and Lilith’s house with Sam) that she had hurt him.  There’s not a ton of factual continuity between the series, though, so that isn’t a surprise (and the spirits of the characters are consistent).

Edited by Peace 47
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, Peace 47 said:

I’m with you, Niles, the sight of blood sends me to the fainting couch.

Same. And I remember one time I pinched my finger at work, and I went to get a band-aid for it. Took one look at my finger, noticed it was turning kinda purple-ish, and got a bit light-headed and had to sit down for a moment :p. 

The irony is that I wanted to be a nurse when I was really little. Good thing I didn't go that route. 

• Love 1