Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk

• Start Topic

Yes, now that you mention it, though they could all be that way.  I just thought she was a nosy parker.

Oh yeah.  I've recently rewatched season 5, and I don't know if I just didn't notice this in earlier seasons, but lately it seems that Niles has been giving off a Jan Brady "Marcia Marcia Marcia!" vibe with Frasier.  I'm not sure what a nosy parker is, but I'm sure Daphne is one of those too :)

• Love 1

I can't speak for others, but the reason I single Daphne out is because we're supposed to see her as the "nice" one.  The others act like neurotic jackasses, but IMO they're supposed to be neurotic jackasses. :)

• Love 2

The Carlos and the Chicken one makes me cringe..except, it has prompted me, all these years later, to randomly sing "I'm in the mood for love(thump, thump, thump)....simply because you're near me..(thump, thump, thump)...

I am not sure why I still find that part funny but it's the only reason I like that episode.

• Love 2

Oh good. It's not just me then.

A few weeks ago I was listening to Frank Sinatra singing "I'm In The Mood For Love" when I found myself adding Thump, Thump, Thump whenever there was a pause in the phrasing. It took me a few moments to figure out why on earth I was doing it.

• Love 5

I can't speak for others, but the reason I single Daphne out is because we're supposed to see her as the "nice" one.  The others act like neurotic jackasses, but IMO they're supposed to be neurotic jackasses. :)

I feel like Daphne definitely has the character that shifts around the most to fit the plot - which leads to things like her being unexpectedly mean occasionally but also to her intelligence level varying massively as well.

• Like 1
  • Love 4

Daphne had a little bit of resentment toward Frasier because he made her do a lot of petty tasks like getting boxes from the basement, then not using them or making her go to a dozen stores in the rain for some grooming product. I can see why she'd have a chuckle when someone stuck it to Frasier. Martin tried to explain to Frasier the advantages of doing "regular guy" things, but it didn't usually work.

I like "Radio Wars" (Carlos and the Chicken) but I hate watching it on Hallmark. The other day I used the Start Over when it aired on Lifetime just to hear the word "ass" in "Frasier Crane's Gigantic Ass Contest." The other weird thing is that episode's proximity to the Dr. Nora episode. They have basically the same plot. Someone gets the better of Frasier. Frasier tries to resolve it in an ineffective way. Frasier's plan inadvertently destroys his radio foe.

• Love 3

I never thought of Daphne as mean, either.  That may all be colored by how much I hated the "Daphne gets fat" arc, and how incredibly mean everyone was about it, and how over-the-top it all was.  All of the fat jokes from Frasier and Martin seemed really out of character for both of them.  I skip most of those episodes.

• Love 4

I never thought of Daphne as mean, either.  That may all be colored by how much I hated the "Daphne gets fat" arc, and how incredibly mean everyone was about it, and how over-the-top it all was.  All of the fat jokes from Frasier and Martin seemed really out of character for both of them.  I skip most of those episodes.

Ugh, I just saw a few from this storyline today. So awful. Also, I'm not sure I can think of a more insensitive way to handle Jane's pregnancy, repeated fat jokes must be awesome for a pregnant woman to listen to for months on end...

I also really hated the Niles vs Mel episodes of this era, where I guess we're supposed to stand up and cheer when Niles tells her off and declares his love for Daphne? Except that he, just weeks earlier, was in love with Mel enough to marry her. I can't help but feel for Mel, even if she was punishing him, he actually deserved it. 

The happy couple routine from Niles and Daphne really didn't work for me either. DHP really sold it in the years when he was supposed to be pining after her, but the two of them as a couple was awkward. 

• Love 5
On 2016-08-02 at 6:31 PM, Maherjunkie said:

Who is Cora?

Cora Winston was the mother of a nemesis / neighbour of Frasier's. She was a vet that treated Eddie and dated Martin one brief episode. She tells him later that Daphne's mum scared her off from the relationship. 

I liked Cora even in her brief episode because she shared Martin's views about how silly their boys were. They seemed compatible and unlike Ronnie or Sherrie, Cora seemed more even tempered and intellectual. Kinda like the boys' mother was supposedly. 

• Love 4

I'd like to add, though, it did give us the awesome scene when Martin, Frasier, Niles, and Eddie were all fumbling around in her room.  I believe Eddie ended up holding Daphne's bra in his mouth :)

Edited by ByTor
  • Love 7
On 9/6/2016 at 8:18 AM, rubaco said:

Frasier will be airing on Cozi TV (starting Sept. 12) in the evenings, looks like 7 to 9 Eastern. I don't know if it will always be a 2-hour block, but that's how it looks for starters.

I've been watching, if only because Frasier is one of the few shows that actually makes me laugh. I like Kelsey. However, COZI is really messing up on the broadcasts. They do that thing where they slide the images to the right while they run a promo. However, the characters are still talking, and the show isn't over! I want to throw things at the television.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ennui said:

I didn't realize that the opening radio callers were celebrity guests. I caught Macauley Culkin and Mary Steenburgen in the credits. Was this only in the first season?

Oh no, that was all through the series. Usually there was at least one celebrity caller per episode. Here is the list of (most? all?) of them.

• Love 3

I am re-watching this on Netflix, and I'm about 2/3 of the way through season 3. God, I loved this show. I quit watching the reruns on Hallmark because it was too annoying to watch with all the content that Hallmark considers to be too "racy" edited out. 

One of my favorite moments is in 'The Innkeepers,' where Frasier and Niles open a restaurant. Niles comes to the station to show off his rare first edition of a Steinbeck book. He scolds Roz for trying to touch it, going on and on about how fragile it is. Then...

Frasier: Niles, guess what thriving Seattle night spot is closing its doors?

Niles: Roz, you're moving!

And then Roz picks up Niles's Steinbeck book, licks it from top to bottom, and then hands it back to him. I laugh and laugh every time I see it. The scene is funny, but the look on DHP's face just kills me. And of course that episode also has the moment where Daphne grabs an eel by the tail and smashes it on the counter, which was also priceless.

• Love 7
On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 10:57 AM, Queasy-bo said:

I am re-watching this on Netflix, and I'm about 2/3 of the way through season 3. God, I loved this show. I quit watching the reruns on Hallmark because it was too annoying to watch with all the content that Hallmark considers to be too "racy" edited out. 

One of my favorite moments is in 'The Innkeepers,' where Frasier and Niles open a restaurant. Niles comes to the station to show off his rare first edition of a Steinbeck book. He scolds Roz for trying to touch it, going on and on about how fragile it is. Then...

Frasier: Niles, guess what thriving Seattle night spot is closing its doors?

Niles: Roz, you're moving!

And then Roz picks up Niles's Steinbeck book, licks it from top to bottom, and then hands it back to him. I laugh and laugh every time I see it. The scene is funny, but the look on DHP's face just kills me. And of course that episode also has the moment where Daphne grabs an eel by the tail and smashes it on the counter, which was also priceless.

I love Roz walking into the kitchen all singed with her hair sticking up: "Cherries.... big blue flash.... cherries everywhere."

• Love 5

I've never seen the newer seasons (I always assumed they weren't very funny), so I recently started watching them on Netflix.  There were two I absolutely loved.  The one where Martin gives the safety lessons to an elementary school...Eddie is so freaking cute doing the routine (What should you do before you cross a street?)!!!  Then there was the one where Martin ate the pot brownie & saw Eddie on tv "talking" in the travel commercial.

• Love 7

Weren't they kind of mean to Frasier when he gained a few pounds too? I guess I don't see why any adult should comment on another adult's weight.  The "Daphne is fat" was pretty awful too. The pig noise on the frig leaps to mind.

I love this show, as I"ve said. There are only a small handful of eppys that I didn't really like.

• Love 5
21 hours ago, ketose said:
On 8/2/2016 at 3:48 AM, Maherjunkie said:

Ronnie or Sherrie?

Not a huge fan of Ronnie, but I can hardly even watch the Sherry episodes.

Agree. I wasn't a huge fan of Ronnie. She didn't seem to quite fit & I think she was shoved in to give Martin someone to pair off with as the series was ending. Sherry, I can barely tolerate, except for the first appearance. 

Martin never had a good partner on the show. I often think it was their subtle way of showing that even though we never saw Hester (outside of the occasional flashback), no one really measured up to her.

• Love 5

I ended up liking Ronnie, just because she would tease Frasier about being his new mother and he would get so exasperated. Exasperated Frasier was always the most hilarious for me.

• Love 2

It would be so hard to choose a fav eppy, but with a gun to my head, I guess it'd be that one with the dinner party at the beach house and the dead seal.

A 2nd fav is the one with Frasier wearing Niles' too tight  white shorts.

Third is the one where Bebe tries to quit smoking.

No wait.... I love that Thanksgiving eppy where Lilith and Frasier try to get Freddy into that snooty school.

Oh, there are too many favorites.

• Love 3
On 11/6/2016 at 10:51 AM, ari333 said:

It would be so hard to choose a fav eppy, but with a gun to my head, I guess it'd be that one with the dinner party at the beach house and the dead seal.

A 2nd fav is the one with Frasier wearing Niles' too tight  white shorts.

Third is the one where Bebe tries to quit smoking.

No wait.... I love that Thanksgiving eppy where Lilith and Frasier try to get Freddy into that snooty school.

Oh, there are too many favorites.

There was the one when Niles was having his stuck up condo board over for dinner and his bird died and they thought the canapes were poisoned. One old guy drops dead, so Frasier shouts "Murder Mystery!"

• Love 4

My favorite has to be "The Ski Lodge" with a close second being "The Matchmaker," where Frasier accidentally fixes himself up with Tom instead of Daphne because Roz decided not to tell Fraiser Tom was gay. The storylines are similar, but the execution is excellent.

• Love 8

I just watched the series on Netflix and now I've got "Frasier Crane's humongous ass contest" rattling around in my head. I know the show went on a long time but the quality held up much better than other shows. I think the chemistry of the cast just really meshed well, especially David Hyde Pierce. As the show went on he became better and better.

• Love 6

I'm so glad I have a way to watch it again -- on a station called Cozi TV -- I really missed it once Lifetime (I think) canceled their morning airings.  Assuming Mr. Beadgirl comes home in time, I run upstairs, turn on Frasier, and hide from my kids for a bit.  Unfortunately, they are well into season 8, so it'll be a while before they get to the really good episodes.

I am a sucker for the slapstick in "Merry Christmas, Mrs. Moskowitz." Niles dressed as Jesus in the bathroom with the Christmas tree and the nasal spray just kills me.

Niles: "I really have to go."

Mrs. Moskowitz: "Yes, I understand this is your busy time."

• Love 5

One of my absolute favorites is "The Dinner Party" - where Frasier and Niles spend the entire episode trying to plan a party. It's also probably my favorite "bottle episode" of any series ever.

It's such a perfect distillation of Frasier and Niles' friendship/rivalry. And it has this:

Niles: "This is absurd! Why don't we just call Allison up and ask her what she thinks is so strange about us? We can both get on an extension."

Frasier: "Better yet, why don't we just get on a bicycle built for two, ride over there and ask her what's so strange about us?"

• Love 13

Hallmark is taking a break from running Frasier (and Golden Girls, I think) until after the holiday season.  I think it's scheduled to come back January 2nd.  (I wish Cozi had better quality transmissions, but I'm glad there is still a Frasier option on TV now--and at an earlier time.)

• Love 2

If we are throwing out there favorite episodes, count me in on The Ski Lodge as well as just about every appearance of Lillith...fortunately, they remembered that a little Lillith went a long way and used her sparingly. Another personal favorite is close to the end when Frasier's car breaks down and he and Charlotte run into Steven Root and Celia Weston-always cracks me up.

• Love 3

I've been living under a rock it seems because I've only just begun to watch Frasier. It's hilarious! I can't believe I never watched it and was barely aware of it all these years. I loved the one where Frasier gets mad at everything and volunteers to do the show on Christmas and ends up in the cafe where he loses his wallet, everyone thinks he's homeless, and he has to leave his car behind. I laughed and laughed and laughed. 

Edited by bubbls
  • Love 7

I've been living under a rock it seems because I've only just begun to watch Frasier. It's hilarious! I can't believe I never watched it and was barely aware of it all these years.

bubbls, did you know about and/or ever watch Cheers? Just curious. I was in college when Cheers was so popular, and when Frasier the character was introduced, he quickly became my favorite. Then when Cheers ended, I can remember the morning I heard on the radio that Kelsey (and his character) was getting a spin-off and I was so ridiculously happy. I probably cheered, no pun intended. I would have followed him to any kind of show, so imagine my delight when it turned out to be such an amazingly good show. Both Frasier and Niles are among my favorite characters on any shows, ever.

• Love 6