Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
CuriousParker

Frasier

2 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Both Grammer and the producers contacted Mahoney, with the producers flying to Chicago to show Mahoney the pilot script over dinner

I remember seeing an interview clip with Grammer once where he talked about this pitch, and he said he was sitting there as Mahoney read the script and he was like, "Please play my dad?" :p. 

I just spent the last few months working my way through "Cheers" in full for the first time, and seeing Frasier in his first appearances on that show, yeah, they were NOT kidding about the resemblance between him and Pierce. It was uncanny

I've also read that Mahoney was a lot more like Niles and Frasier in terms of liking wine and opera and whatnot, and so he was the one who often taught Pierce and Grammer about all that stuff :D. 

• Like 5
  • Useful 3

I love this clip of John Mahoney accepting a Tony.  His demeanor is sooooooo different from Martin's.  It shows how good his acting is.

• Like 6

On 4/16/2021 at 3:00 PM, msani19 said:

Do any of you use at least one quote from the show on at least a daily basis?

No, huh, just me? Oh ok then...yeah, whatever. That's not weird at all. 

My BF just randomly sent me a text with only the two words "harvest wheat" and I've been laughing ever since. He's a Fraiser weirdo too which a main reason I keep him around.

Oh dear God. I say that at least 2x a day. 

• Like 3
  • Laugh 4

On 11/10/2021 at 3:08 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

I love this clip of John Mahoney accepting a Tony.  His demeanor is sooooooo different from Martin's.  It shows how good his acting is.

I mean, as you say the demeanor isn’t the same, but I was delighted to see that he really did throw his head back when he laughed, which he did as Marty. That’s one of my favorite things about Marty.

Edited by Salzmank
  • Like 4

58 minutes ago, Salzmank said:

I mean, as you say the demeanor isn’t the same, but I was delighted to see that he really did throw his head back when he laughed, which he did as Marty. That’s one of my favorite things about Marty.

Loved when DHP did that when Niles dressed as his hero for Halloween.

• Like 6

I have been singing, "If you've got a problem, if you're feeling low" to myself because it is stuck in my head and I had to try to explain what it was when my husband heard me.

• Laugh 6

I watched "Room Service" tonight. The way both Niles and Frasier turn up their noses at food in the bathroom totally cracks me up. The ending with Lilith happily eating her eggs benedict with ketchup while sitting on the toilet is pure gold.

• Like 6
  • Laugh 3

Ken Levine once said that he had hoped "Food? In the Bathroom?" would be a catch phrase. It is in my house...

• Laugh 7

"I refuse to even contemplate something so disgusting." 

- Niles about stabbing a dead seal to make it sink in the ocean
- Me about food in the bathroom

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Laugh 4

11 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

"I refuse to even contemplate something so disgusting." 

- Niles about stabbing a dead seal to make it sink in the ocean
- Me about food in the bathroom

Daphne killing the eels. *shudder*

• Laugh 5

Does anyone watch Frasier on DVD? A channel dropped a show I was watching this summer before I could get all the episodes recorded. I bought the series on DVD, and the edits/cuts in the syndicated show are subtle to glaring. Just wondered if Frasier is the same.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

I only watch Frasier on DVD.  I've seen them millions of times.  I never watch it on syndication anymore so I don't know the difference.

I think I've tried on CMT, but that was back in the day, maybe 5 years ago.  

• Like 1

Niles's cockatoo is almost as annoying as Ross Geller's pet monkey.

On 11/16/2021 at 10:14 PM, jird said:

I have been singing, "If you've got a problem, if you're feeling low" to myself because it is stuck in my head and I had to try to explain what it was when my husband heard me.

All you gotta do is ask.  All you gotta do is aaaaaaaaaaask.

• Like 4

Baby (the cockatoo) had a much worse end than the monkey though. I mean, I'm glad she wasn't around longer, but the monkey at least didn't die.

• Like 4

Daphne's earring!  So irresponsible, she already knew that they were loose but continued to wear them around the food anyway.

• Like 3

Another good Martin moment.  He picks out Frasier's stalker from a huge crowd of women in red dresses, even after Frasier goes through the trouble of hiring a bodyguard and goes insane with paranoia, etc.

I wanted to mention the Season 1 episode where Lilith comes back, but it was jampacked with so many clever lines I didn't even know where to start.

Remember when Lilith calls into Frasier's radio show?

Frasier: Well, Seattle, we have a celebrity of sorts on the line. This is my ex-wife, Lilith.
Lilith: What do you mean by "celebrity?"
Frasier:  Oh theyy knowwww youuuu.

And Roz laughing hysterically in her booth!  This is one of Roz's best episodes.  She takes so much pleasure in driving Frasier crazy.

Holy crap, for the Niles-Roz lovers, from the "Fool me Once" episode:

Niles:  Frasier, your briefcase had the same inferior leather.
Roz:  I GAVE him that briefcase!
Niles (giggles and lightly chucks Roz on the shoulder):  I know.

Ooooh boy!  Niles and Roz really have chemistry sometimes! 

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 6

How do you guys feel about Simon?  Love?  Hate?  Gertrude?

It's funny, when I was younger I thought, why would they cast this Italian guy from the U.S. (I was obviously stereotyping him as someone from Brooklyn or something, LOL) as somebody British?  LOL Anthony is Australian which I didn't realize at the time.

I watched all of Without a Trace at some point and enjoyed it.  I'm also a fan of "So I Married An Axe Murderer".  Anthony definitely has range because I think I forget that's all the same actor.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

How do you guys feel about Simon?  Love?  Hate?  Gertrude?

It's funny, when I was younger I thought, why would they cast this Italian guy from the U.S. (I was obviously stereotyping him as someone from Brooklyn or something, LOL) as somebody British?  LOL Anthony is Australian which I didn't realize at the time.

I watched all of Without a Trace at some point and enjoyed it.  I'm also a fan of "So I Married An Axe Murderer".  Anthony definitely has range because I think I forget that's all the same actor.

I hated Simon. I thought they took it too far. I watched almost all of Without a Trace, and Anthony fine in it. Must have been a director/script thing with Simon.

I liked Gertrude as the annoying mother. But also thought she had overstayed her welcome

• Like 6

Didn't someone at the network want to spin off Simon with his own show? I'm profoundly grateful that never happened. I disliked most of Daphne's relatives, though her father was slightly amusing. Or maybe I  just didn't mind the actor.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Laugh 1

Disliked all Daphne's family intensely and now I just skip any episode that any of them are in.  I'm probably missing a few gems but life is too short.

Had a Frasier moment today - found an empty bag of potato chips in the garbage this morning that wasn't there last night.  My husband told me he woke up at 3am couldn't get back to sleep and decided 'to hell with the diet'.  First words out of my mouth were "Bebe slipped" - said, hopefully, in exactly the same way the fabulous Harriet Sansom Harris delivered that line!

• Laugh 7

I didn't like any of Daphne's family and Simon and Gertrude overstayed their welcome. I think the actors were fine. The drama not so much. They should have kept those storylines short to a couple of eps max. I didn't mind the Daphne story lines of her insecurity being with Niles which I think added to the development of the characters and the relationship. Her family didn't add much to Daphne's character.

• Like 6

I wasn't familiar with any of the actors who played Daphne's family until I saw them on "Frasier", and even now I still don't know that I've seen much of anything they've been in outside that show.

But I didn't mind them. I agree a little of them went a long way and there were episodes where they were better utilized than others, and I would certainly be overwhelmed by them in real life :p.

But they had their entertaining moments. I did like how Simon constantly drove Frasier crazy, and the odd friendship he developed with Martin :D. 

• Like 4

I liked Simon in the first couple episodes I like that he drove Frasier crazy and his friendship with Martin. But I agree he overstayed his welcome. I hated the rest of her family especially her mother. She was a horrible woman. I did always like hearing stories about her brother Billy though.

• Like 5

It would have been really nice if we could actually meet Billy and if we could actually meet Daphne's favourite brother, Stephen.

They all were running around at the wedding but we never got extended meetings with them and Google says we finally meet Stephen at the finale.  

• Like 5

But I didn't mind them. I agree a little of them went a long way and there were episodes where they were better utilized than others, and I would certainly be overwhelmed by them in real life :p.

This. I cringed every time I saw Simon. He was too out of control and overbearing. Even Roz had a hard time dealing with him.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Like 4
  • Useful 1

33 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Even Roz had a hard time dealing with him.

"Simon? There's a guy who lives in the park across from me, he wears a cat suit and meows at people. If he's busy, maybe I'll call you." 

• Laugh 5

I've always written off Seasons 8-10 before but I'm watching Season 8 now and I'm surprised that I'm kind of enjoying myself.  Maybe it's the desperation of having finished the other seasons.

• Like 2

Yeah, I think the latter seasons had their strong runs and episodes, too. There's some episodes in season 8 I really like, definitely - "Frasier's Edge" and "Daphne Returns" being a couple examples. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

7 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I've always written off Seasons 8-10 before but I'm watching Season 8 now and I'm surprised that I'm kind of enjoying myself.  Maybe it's the desperation of having finished the other seasons.

I had that experience too for a while that I thought there was a big drop off.  But when I eventually started watching the seasons in reruns, it wasn't the kind of drop off where the show went from hilarious to barely entertaining.  I didn't like the stories as much but the laughs were still good.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Yeah, I think the latter seasons had their strong runs and episodes, too. There's some episodes in season 8 I really like, definitely - "Frasier's Edge" and "Daphne Returns" being a couple examples. 

Daphne returns - and in the same vein Room Full of Heroes - were episodes that I used to look forward to watching.  But now I think I'm in this headspace where I don't even want to watch the dramatic episodes.  Same with Visions of Daphne.  They're all episodes where Niles is taken to task.  They all used to be part of my favourites but I don't think I'm in the mood.

I find myself enjoying some of the Season 8 episodes like Motor Skills and Hooping Cranes, episodes with a much lighter tone.  Frasier and Niles are so funny being the bad kids in the class.  The whiplash change in their acting is marvelous.  I've always liked The New Friend and Mary Christmas.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 1