Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
CuriousParker

Frasier

The Lilith’s brother episode is worth it for me, solely for:

Brother, admonishing the congregation: Now, now, he’s one of God’s children. 

Frasier, indignant: I am no such thing!

• Like 6

The fourth season premiere was gold. Laughed several times. Was that guy really British or was he pulling a Dick Van Dyke?

I've been thinking a lot about Golden Girls as I rewatch this show. Bea Arthur wanted to end the series because she felt they had run through all of the formulas possible, so I'm wondering how Frasier is going to manage to survive longer than that show and still be watchable. It's good to know that for many of you the show always recovered from its rocky patches. Let's see if I can make it to the very end!

• Like 1

Frasier himself doesn't change all that much over the course of the show but the supporting characters do, which keeps things interesting.

My personal low for the show is the storyline written to accommodate Jane Leeves' pregnancy.  The fat shaming is cringe-worthy and I don't think the writers could get away with a similar plot today.  (Though I don't watch many sitcoms, so maybe they could/do?)  

• Like 5

I just realized Cozi managed to skip Niles and Daphne's wedding(s) episode. I wonder why?

The other day, I was watching the one where Roz's young-twenties cousin Jen came to visit, and Roz was exhausted because Jen wanted to go clubbing every night...

Maybe I'm feeling my own age here, but it kind of annoyed me how it was boiled down to an issue of being young vs old, instead of Roz having to get up for work the next morning vs Jen being able to sleep all day if she wanted! But of course nobody said a single word about that.

• Like 2

Since Jen was also going out to museums and sightseeing in the day, as you can see from the conversation when she gives Frasier the bust of Freud, I think the implication was she was going going all day too.  But it would have been nice to either explicitly say it, or note that Roz did have a lot more on her plate.

• Like 2

Finished seasons 4 & 5. "Hot and Foamy" might be my favorite episode of the series. So great watching Niles move through all the stages of his breakup only to freak out about his "mother's obsession with VERMIN!?". God bless DHP for his physical humor. I may not have watched the show since it aired but I never forgot how Niles moved when he was freaked out.

I didn't mind him and Marris reuniting for a while. They mined it for all the humor they could and I always laughed.

Sherri had a nice exit but I really did think of her as using Martin until it was proven otherwise. I couldn't buy that a woman as comely as her would want fuddy duddy Martin. Sorry, Martin. I really can't picture you having sex. There - I said it. His hip is weak, he looks about 75 (yes, I know he's supposed to be 65 but....) and spends almost all his time drinking or on the sofa or both. Sherri could have snagged any guy at a bar for good times, guys in their 50s. I felt like she always was going at 150% to compensate for him being at 50%.

Anyone else with me?

• Like 2

I think Peri Gilpin has great hair. I realize she had pros styling her hair, but still, they had great hair to work with.

• Like 6

On 4/10/2019 at 7:56 PM, DisneyBoy said:

Finished seasons 4 & 5. "Hot and Foamy" might be my favorite episode of the series. So great watching Niles move through all the stages of his breakup only to freak out about his "mother's obsession with VERMIN!?". God bless DHP for his physical humor. I may not have watched the show since it aired but I never forgot how Niles moved when he was freaked out.

I didn't mind him and Marris reuniting for a while. They mined it for all the humor they could and I always laughed.

Sherri had a nice exit but I really did think of her as using Martin until it was proven otherwise. I couldn't buy that a woman as comely as her would want fuddy duddy Martin. Sorry, Martin. I really can't picture you having sex. There - I said it. His hip is weak, he looks about 75 (yes, I know he's supposed to be 65 but....) and spends almost all his time drinking or on the sofa or both. Sherri could have snagged any guy at a bar for good times, guys in their 50s. I felt like she always was going at 150% to compensate for him being at 50%.

Anyone else with me?

I found Sherry to be so "brassy" that it was unattractive. The show generally had her in small doses, so it didn't deter me from watching the episodes. Personally, I think 1)Sherry wasn't that stunningly beautiful 2)Martin isn't that lousy of a catch and 3)The heart wants what the heart wants and Sherry was attracted to Martin. It was believable to me, but YMMV.

• Like 3

I didn't discover Frasier until seeing the reruns in the 2010's. I  tried to watch it in order on Netflix but some episodes were missing.

Now I watch it on Cozi whenever I get a chance. Every once in a while I will see an episode that is new to me and it feels like a gift. LOL!

It seems that some episodes get played more than others. I don't know, maybe that is just me.

Kelsy Grammer is such a wonderful actor. It is too bad that none of his attempts at television have been successful since Frasier. He does wonderfully as an evil character, too. Has anyone seen his show on Star a few years ago it was named "Boss" he was the mayor of Chicago and he did evil so well!

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, margol29 said:

I didn't discover Frasier until seeing the reruns in the 2010's. I  tried to watch it in order on Netflix but some episodes were missing.

Now I watch it on Cozi whenever I get a chance. Every once in a while I will see an episode that is new to me and it feels like a gift. LOL!

It seems that some episodes get played more than others. I don't know, maybe that is just me.

Kelsy Grammer is such a wonderful actor. It is too bad that none of his attempts at television have been successful since Frasier. He does wonderfully as an evil character, too. Has anyone seen his show on Star a few years ago it was named "Boss" he was the mayor of Chicago and he did evil so well!

I watched the show when it was first run back in the day. Like you I have been rewatching episodes on Cozi. I forgot how hysterical that show could be. 

• Like 6

If you're watching on Cozi they run the episodes in order from S1 to S11. I did notice some in sequence airing on Sunday. I wouldn't have known except my DVR is set to record them.

• Like 2

I'm a little over halfway through season seven now and boy...is there a lot to say!

Somehow I managed, while watching the DVDs of season six, to skip the Back Pain episode where Daphne learns the truth about how Niles feels about her from Frasier. I found myself watching the rest of the season wondering why all of a sudden Daphne's gently rubbing Niles' hand and thinking she has feelings for him.

I remember seeing all these episodes back in the day, but over time I had forgotten how exactly she learned the truth, so when it got to the wedding episode I was totally lost and had to go back and figure out when the bomb had actually been dropped. LOL - very annoying when you're re-watching a series chronologically to skip over an episode like that!

Of course, I've been deliberately skipping all of the Christmas episodes because I'm just not in a festive spirit these days. I seem to recall randomly catching a rerun of an episode where Niles is trying to convince Mel that he doesn't have feelings for Daphne in the midst of a KACL office party. Did that happen in season six? God, I hope Niles and Mel don't get back together again sometime in the next three seasons...

I actually found the actress who played Mel to be terrific. It was a really difficult part because she had to be unlikable and controlling and somewhat shrewish, all the while still being just appealing enough then you could understand why Niles would want to be with her and believe she was the one for him.

The "fat farm" storyline though.....woah. How insulting to poor Jane Leeves. Being pregnant is such a beautiful thing and to have people mock her for gaining weight....I wonder how she felt about that, honestly. Couldn't have been fun. And then the "fat farm" jokes? Yipes.

I did like the idea they went with that she was intimidated trying to live up to Niles' idea of her but it came so late in the season it felt like the damage had been done. Maybe it would have been better to use the Mel Blackmailing Niles plot to justify her stress eating from the get-go. On the other hand, she seemed so happy with Niles and eating as much as she wanted that I thought it might be an empowering "letting down her guard/enjoying life" storyline.

I did like them using the red dress again....and the flashbacks with the current-day Niles and Frasier were cool. How did they do that, adding them into those scenes? I was impressed. Not something commonly done in the 90s, and not that well either.

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Like 4

Separate thought: I love Roz. Roz is great. I don't understand why a woman who it is so easy to be casual with and who has a beautiful face, body and reasonable expectations gets crapped on for merely dating and struggles to find a guy. Roz is a catch.

• Like 5

On 5/1/2019 at 6:16 PM, DisneyBoy said:

I seem to recall randomly catching a rerun of an episode where Niles is trying to convince Mel that he doesn't have feelings for Daphne in the midst of a KACL office party. Did that happen in season six?

Don’t remember which season it was, but the issue was with Maris not Daphne. He went to comfort Maris because the gardener, Yoshi, had died. 

Personally, I liked Mel, even though she was just there to throw a wrench in the Daphne/Niles relationship. The characters didn’t like her because she was Maris-lite, but I don’t think they saw her for herself. 

On 5/7/2019 at 9:27 PM, DisneyBoy said:

Separate thought: I love Roz. Roz is great. I don't understand why a woman who it is so easy to be casual with and who has a beautiful face, body and reasonable expectations gets crapped on for merely dating and struggles to find a guy. Roz is a catch.

She’s not just looking. Half the time, she is enjoying being single and sleeping around. She’s made multiple references to cheating on guys in the past. Her goal seems to change, depending on the storyline. I don’t mind the jokes because they seem to be more friendly jabs than anything else. She’s not usually bothered by the jokes, and she gets in plenty of her own jabs as well.

3 hours ago, Meushell said:

I don’t mind the jokes because they seem to be more friendly jabs than anything else.

I know this is very unpopular, but that's how I felt about the "Daphne is fat" jokes.  I especially loved when she lost the weight, the amount of weight lost was what her baby weighed.  In fact, that's what made it silly and not insulting to me...I mean, who the hell goes to a fat farm for an 8 pound weight gain?  

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, ByTor said:

I know this is very unpopular, but that's how I felt about the "Daphne is fat" jokes.  I especially loved when she lost the weight, the amount of weight lost was what her baby weighed.  In fact, that's what made it silly and not insulting to me...I mean, who the hell goes to a fat farm for an 8 pound weight gain?  

I thought they said she gained 80 pounds - so who the hell can lose 80 pounds in something like 2 months.

• Like 1

The amount they said she lost at the fat farm was the same amount that her real-life baby weighed when it was born.  I thought it was brilliant.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

The amount they said she lost at the fat farm was the same amount that her real-life baby weighed when it was born.  I thought it was brilliant.

And IMO cute.  And I'm saying this as a former fat kid who still feels the stings of all the insults I got.

• Like 1

Mr. Google says Daphne gained 60 pounds. While she's still at the spa, Niles tells Roz she's already lost 9 lbs 12 ozs, the weight of Jane Levee's baby.

• Like 1

On 5/1/2019 at 9:16 PM, DisneyBoy said:

I'm a little over halfway through season seven now and boy...is there a lot to say!

Somehow I managed, while watching the DVDs of season six, to skip the Back Pain episode where Daphne learns the truth about how Niles feels about her from Frasier. I found myself watching the rest of the season wondering why all of a sudden Daphne's gently rubbing Niles' hand and thinking she has feelings for him.

The "Back Pain" episode where Daphne gives Frasier back pills and then massages him.  And Frasier gets so hopped up on the pills he reveals the Niles thing to Daphne.

Frasier saying "Oh that.  I meant Niles.  He's crazy about you" in that loopy voice never fails to send my brother and I into hysterics.

Frasier is one of my favourite shows.  It's in my top 10.  So please forgive that I find Season 8 and 9, and most of 10, just unwatchable.  But I love Season 11.

Felicity Huffman's character does suck, but the episode where Frasier has her over for dinner and the whole family is there, and she is such an asshole but Frasier stubbornly tries to see her good side, is one of the best of the series.  It's sooooo freaking funny.

A Man, a Plan and a Gal: Julia

Frasier episode (season 11, episode 2)

You can see a lot of full Frasier episodes on Dailymotion.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ByTor said:

I agree. Being rather overweight myself, it’s usually something I would hate. Some of the jokes did not work for me. However, after years of thin Maris jokes, including comparing her appearance to a thin greyhound, the jokes did not bother me as much as they normally would have.