Type keyword(s) to search

Fixer Upper - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 1/5/2022 at 3:21 PM, CruiseDiva said:

But can we watch it for free?

Yes, if DIY/Magnolia is on your TV lineup, it's on regular cable.   It was on the Discovery + app, from July until now, with occasional previews on HGTV, or DIY, but now it has replaced DIY. 

I really enjoyed the before and after on the Welcome Home season 1, episode 1 house last night.   However, the house was so filthy, and disgusting that I could imagine exactly how awful it was.

Joanna's designs have changed for the better.   It was so lovely of the couples' friends and relatives to clear out that disgusting hoarder house.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3
19 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I really enjoyed the before and after on the Welcome Home season 1, episode 1 house last night. 

Thanks for posting the info.  I've got the first episode recorded, so I'll catch up shortly!!  I've been following her and Chip on Instagram, and she's posted some pretty funny/quirky videos.  I hope we'll see that side of her with the new shows!  

• Love 1

Have to say I enjoyed the new episode - with the exception of Chip's antics of tasting a piece from  the pile. 🤮🤢

It  was also nice  not seeing  Joanna's former lather rinse repeat  decorating style - I felt the MCM/Scandinavian vibe she created

Edited by sheetmoss
  • Love 2

And her biscuit recipe is divine...LOL!

I actually like her cooking show because she doesn't try and act like she's an expert...she is very self-deprecating without being ridiculous.  She acts like she is a mom who cooks for her family and who got lucky and achieved a huge degree of fame and yet she is still just perfectly happy being a mom cooking for her family.  And I'll say it again...those biscuits...yummm!

Edited by RoxiP
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, RoxiP said:

I actually like her cooking show because she doesn't try and act like she's an expert...she is very self-deprecating without being ridiculous. 

She gets criticism from some because she's not a gourmet chef, but some of us are just fine with watching someone who can put a meal together that doesn't require a lot of ingredients, and food that is fairly easy for us average cooks (speaking only for myself) to prepare.  Just as there are those out there who appreciate the expert chefs, people like me appreciate the tutorials on the simpler side of cooking!  

• Love 5
8 hours ago, ChitChat said:

She gets criticism from some because she's not a gourmet chef, but some of us are just fine with watching someone who can put a meal together that doesn't require a lot of ingredients, and food that is fairly easy for us average cooks (speaking only for myself) to prepare.  Just as there are those out there who appreciate the expert chefs, people like me appreciate the tutorials on the simpler side of cooking!  

That is how I feel.  While I appreciate the art of watching a master chef prepare a meal I am never going to cook or eat that way.  

• Love 2

This morning Magnolia/DIY had a Fixer Upper episode from 2014.  I can't tell you how refreshing it was to see normal Chip rather than zany Chip.  I really enjoyed it even though I'm sure I've seen it during it's first run...

I really liked how the exterior of the house turned out.  I thought the inside was nice, but the black doors and trim, and the dark green in the bathroom isn't my cup of tea, but she was doing what the homeowners wanted, so if they're happy, that's all that matters.  I think that Joanna was right about painting the ceiling in the bathroom though.  The white ceilings stood out too much against the dark green walls.  

I'm not a fan of open shelving in the kitchen, but it looked nice.  I guess dark cabinets are in style too.  They were pretty, but again, not for me.  I was happy to see that the backsplash in the kitchen wasn't the usual white subway tiles that Joanna normally uses.  

I'm happy to see Chip & Joanna again, and even if I don't like what the homeowners pick out, I still appreciate going through the process with them.  And isn't Crew a cutie!!  

• Love 2
On 1/5/2022 at 4:21 PM, CruiseDiva said:

But can we watch it for free?

I'm not seeing Restored on the cable Magnolia channel for the next 2 weeks. Maybe it will show up on HGTV. I am amused that Magnolia is showing PBS shows - The French Chef and This Old House, Ask This Old House (in the early morning).

Saw last week what I guess was a best of Fugger Upper type show where they highlighted some of their favorite projects.  This one was an inherited home that had been sitting a decade in Marlin, TX, becoming a disgusting total gut job that ended up as an awesome rehab.   Edit: I think they said it was their final show for the series on HGTV?  Seems like that show is always on, but whatever.  Anyway, I really got a kick out of the way they revealed Joanna's pregnancy to her kids.

I despise dirty hippy hair version of Chip.  You're rich, stop styling like you're homeless.

Edited by pep4
  • Love 4

I hated the long hair .. until I learned that he grows it long to donate it. 

Not that he looks good in it and it could stand to be a little cleaner.  Also maybe put into a man bun or pony tail

• Love 1
15 hours ago, NYGirl said:

I hated the long hair .. until I learned that he grows it long to donate it. 

Not that he looks good in it and it could stand to be a little cleaner.  Also maybe put into a man bun or pony tail

He also cuts off the hair in return for donations to St. Jude's.      The first year he did this, they raised just under $300,, the second year combined with another cancer treatment fund in honor of a friend, and a lot was matched by Chip, St. Jude's received $2 million plus.     It's in a good cause.    However, I agree that he needs some decent shampoo.   I suspect he just uses the same soap that's used for showers, and it's not good.   

• Love 4

I admire Chip and what he's done in regards to raising money for St. Judes.  Was it the young woman who had cancer and eventually died that got him started by running that marathon with her?  I think I'm remembering that correctly.  He trained for a while in order to get in shape to do that.  

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

I wonder if the family actually donates any of their own cash? 

I’ve read that they actually matched the donation to St. Jude’s Children’s Hospital for over 2 Million dollars the second year Chip grew his hair for donations. As someone who donates multiple thousands of dollars every year to St. Jude’s Hospital from the amount I’m required to take out of my 401K account, I do appreciate their generosity. They don’t need to divulge their charity donations every year and neither do you.

• Love 7
17 hours ago, ChitChat said:

I admire Chip and what he's done in regards to raising money for St. Judes.  Was it the young woman who had cancer and eventually died that got him started by running that marathon with her?  I think I'm remembering that correctly.  He trained for a while in order to get in shape to do that.  

Yes, on D+ there is a special about it, I think called "The Courage to Run."  Honestly I cried buckets of tears while watching it because she was just so special and brave and the Gaines truly embraced her and supported her.  Even if they didn't donate a penny of their own money the exposure they gave her foundation was priceless (and I believe they probably are very generous because that seems to be how they live their lives).

• Love 5

I saw the second episode of the Fixer Welcome Home season, with a production crew member who bought a house in Waco.     I really liked what the Gaines did to the house.   Joanna's designs have really evolved.     Since the crew member was from NYC, I'm sure his entire budget in Waco that bought a lovely home, wouldn't even have bought a studio in NY. 

The one feature I hated was the brass/gold finishes.     I guess my brushed nickel/chrome on my house is out of fashion, but I can't stand the gold/brass, or the mixed metal finish trend.     I think the mixed metal finish trend looks like you bought everything on clearance, so nothing matches.      I've noticed some other remodeling shows use unvarnished brass, and if it's like a friend's house had, tarnishes, so you should just use oiled bronze, because that's what it turns into. 

I really think that the homeowners have more input, or at least a really long questionaire about their taste, and what they want.    Especially something like flooring or tile, that would be very expensive to replace.     I think that waiting to see if the home owner eventually wants to paint the brick was sensible.     

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Joanna's designs have really evolved.   

They really have. She seems to have a knack for being on the forefront of the next thing. I mean, I had never even heard of shiplap before she starting doing it and then it was everywhere.

With more people working from home during Covid, open floor plans aren't working as well as they have in the past. In both of the first two episodes of Welcome Home, she separated the office with a large wall of windows, still keeping an open view, but more quiet when needed. Very clever, and both window walls were gorgeous.

Also, neither of the kitchens were white, so she has moved on from that as well. The only trend that has been around for a while that she is still following is brass/gold fixtures which I hate. I wish she would lead the way out of that trend!

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, absolutelyido said:

Welcome Home, she separated the office with a large wall of windows, still keeping an open view, but more quiet when needed.

I've seen that idea on either another show, or one of the earlier Fixer Upper shows.  Although the industrial look isn't my style, I thought it looked really good and will work well for this young man.   I can appreciate different styles, even if it's not something I'd want!

It's interesting that not that long ago it seems like everybody wanted everything "light and bright" (as in everything painted white).  Now it seems like dark colors are the new thing.  I couldn't go with black tiles or walls, but it did look good in this house.  

17 minutes ago, absolutelyido said:

The only trend that has been around for a while that she is still following is brass/gold fixtures which I hate.

I hear 'ya!   I still like antique brass, but it's a thing of the past when looking for new accessories with it.  I'm sure it'll make a comeback at some point though!  Is the nickel-finish out now too?  I can't keep up!  

• Love 2

You know, the thing about shiplap being a "trend" is funny to me. Joanna was really only working with what old houses already had here in Texas.  Most of the older homes are built with solid shiplap walls.  In the 70s they covered them with sheetrock, but the shiplap was there all along, so all she did was uncover or "restore" the homes to what they originally looked like.  I don't see that as trendy, really, but maybe it's just me. I mean, I have several older relatives who live in old houses with shiplap walls and they've been there for over 100 years.  White houses, too, are not a trend. That's the way a Texas farmhouse looked back in the day, so she was just restoring them.  

Now, did it become a trend across the country? Yes.  But to me it will never look as "dated" as houses done by the property brothers or other people with a more "modern" look.   Man, I hate the color gray and the electric fireplaces. lol

I'm not wild about the industrial look, so I hope that trend moves along, but it won't matter to me when I build my "dream house" it will be a white Texas farmhouse with shiplap walls. That's what I've wanted since I was a kid (and I'm 56), so that's not going to change with any trends that come along.

Edited by SusanwatchingTV
  • Love 7
21 minutes ago, SusanwatchingTV said:

You know, the thing about shiplap being a "trend" is funny to me. Joanna was really only working with what old houses already had here in Texas. 

I guess that shiplap became a trend to those unfamiliar with it! I grew up in Florida and had never seen it.   I like it though!   I mostly saw either drywall (painted), or wood paneling.  That was popular in the 70's.   I'm glad that JoAnna restored most of the shiplap she saw.  It's nice to preserve things rather than tear them down (if possible!)  

21 minutes ago, SusanwatchingTV said:

I'm not wild about the industrial look, so I hope that trend moves along, but it won't matter to me when I build my "dream house" it will be a white Texas farmhouse with shiplap walls.

Your dream home sounds quite lovely!!   I think I'd be okay with the industrial look if I was in a New York City loft, but for a regular house, I'm not too crazy about it.  I didn't like the terra cotta tiles.  I think the black tiles in the shower will be a bear to keep clean.  Soap & shampoo residue will probably stand out on it.  

I like the way that Chip dotes on JoAnna.  He says some of the nicest things to her, like how she can put on lipstick and look good, but if you look inside, she's really amazing.   He was making the comparison to the remodel.  I thought it was nice.  A woman needs to hear those kinds of things from time to time.

Edited by ChitChat
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, ChitChat said:

I guess that shiplap became a trend to those unfamiliar with it! I grew up in Florida and had never seen it.   I like it though!   I mostly saw either drywall (painted), or wood paneling.  That was popular in the 70's.   I'm glad that JoAnna restored most of the shiplap she saw.  It's nice to preserve things rather than tear them down (if possible!)  

Your dream home sounds quite lovely!!   I think I'd be okay with the industrial look if I was in a New York City loft, but for a regular house, I'm not too crazy about it.  I didn't like the terra cotta tiles.  I think the black tiles in the shower will be a bear to keep clean.  Soap & shampoo residue will probably stand out on it.  

I like the way that Chip dotes on JoAnna.  He says some of the nicest things to her, like how she can put on lipstick and look good, but if you look inside, she's really amazing.   He was making the comparison to the remodel.  I thought it was nice.  A woman needs to hear those kinds of things from time to time.

We once vacationed in a house with a black tub, toilet and sink. OMG. One shower and that thing was just gross. And don’t even think about brushing your teeth in that sink!

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Gam2 said:

We once vacationed in a house with a black tub, toilet and sink. OMG. One shower and that thing was just gross. And don’t even think about brushing your teeth in that sink!

I babysat in the 1960s in a home with a black sink & toilet; it was very cool along with the B&W checkered floor.  Luckily it was just a powder room, but I did always have to make sure I didn't leave any TP shreds or soap scum before leaving. There is a reason white has lasted so long. Like old office furniture that was "putty" coloured instead of black or another dark colour - you could never see the dust!

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 7
On 1/14/2022 at 10:54 AM, ChitChat said:

Oh, I agree on the black tiles and fixtures. Too hard to keep clean, and just really kind of gross.

I like the way Chip dotes on her too.  I know some people say it's weird or sexist or something, but I don't think so. I think she loves it because he shows her how much he adores her.

Funny thing - I was watching an episode of NCIS: LA a few months ago and at the end of the episode Deeks called Kensey "Baby Girl"!!  I loled and thought, I guess Baby Girl isn't just a Texas thing. It must be a Southern California thing, too.

4 hours ago, SusanwatchingTV said:

I like the way Chip dotes on her too.  I know some people say it's weird or sexist or something, but I don't think so. I think she loves it because he shows her how much he adores her.

He does it in a way to compliment her and show her respect.  It's not a condescending tone at all, as some imply. 

I get a different vibe from them with this new version of Fixer Upper.  They really seem to be having fun with it (not that they didn't before, it's just different).  It's nice that they're not doing the whole song and dance over having the people choose from 3 different homes.  I like them just diving right into what the person/couple already bought.    I also like that I can see this on DIY without having to pay separately for the Magnolia Channel!!  

• Love 5
22 hours ago, ChitChat said:

He does it in a way to compliment her and show her respect.  It's not a condescending tone at all, as some imply. 

I get a different vibe from them with this new version of Fixer Upper.  They really seem to be having fun with it (not that they didn't before, it's just different).  It's nice that they're not doing the whole song and dance over having the people choose from 3 different homes.  I like them just diving right into what the person/couple already bought.    I also like that I can see this on DIY without having to pay separately for the Magnolia Channel!!  

The DIY network has become the Magnolia Channel, so yes, it's nice. I got D+ free through my Verizon phone, but I still prefer watching it on Cable. I just find the app a bit annoying. lol

I loved the design elements in this latest Fixer Upper (single young lady & parents).  I really love arched doorways too.  I was surprised that she wanted to keep the planter on the front of the house and the one in the foyer.  Most people want to rip those out.  Personally, I liked the planters, especially with the brick freshened up with a coat of paint.   The house I grew up in had a long planter on the front, but my parents remodeled and had it removed.  The house looked better with it.  Sigh.   

I'm not too crazy about the bedroom being right off of the foyer, but I think it worked out for what she wanted.  The kitchen was pretty too.  It was nice to see a round island rather than a rectangular or square one.  Nothing wrong with those, just nice to see something different for a change.  I love the patterned backsplash.  That seems to be the trend nowadays.  JoAnna does seem stuck on brass fixtures though.  I guess that's the trend too.  What she picked was pretty, I just don't like brass.  Never have.  Never will.  ;)    YMMV!!

I love the front door on this house.  I like that they enclosed the little porch from the garage to make a mud room.    Turning the half bath into a full bath is a smart move.   New windows are a great priority, those old aluminum ones are terrible.    

I like that they go right to the house, instead of doing a 'house hunt'.     Though I miss seeing more houses.    

So, I guess that Chip and the crew already cut the bottom of the block wall in back so she could push it over?   

I really liked the arch between the living and dining.   I love the kitchen island.  I'm glad the backsplash was more muted than the cement Moroccan look tiles people used for so long.   I will never like ceiling wallpaper.     Personally, I don't like Saltilo (Saultilo?) tile, but I like a matte finish Saltillo tile look, that's non-slip for the floors.   I also hate that so many of the remodels put marble into a counter top, the way that was done in the bathroom.   I like quartz, or sealed granite.  

I like that they found a solution to stop the outside planter from leaking into the house.  I loved the long, oval dining table.   I love the laundry room, and pantry area.  

I was sad to see the water come in from the outside flower box.  Seemless aluminum gutters can come in almost any color, so I would have saved a lot by doing that instead of copper.  I prefer the original unpainted brick, but the creme color was very nice.   I liked the main bedroom and bath, except for ceiling wallpaper.  I really hope the brass hardware and lights, or even worse, mixed-metal craze goes out of fashion soon.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
46 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

So, I guess that Chip and the crew already cut the bottom of the block wall in back so she could push it over?

I was waiting for Chip to say that he had loosened it up before Joanna knocked it over, but it might not have been installed properly in the first place.  Shouldn't there have been some rebar running up through those cement blocks?  It made me nervous when she started rocking it back and forth.  I was afraid some blocks were going to fall on her.   Yikes!

48 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Seemless aluminum gutters can come in almost any color, so I would have saved a lot by doing that instead of copper. 

I'm concerned that the copper gutters will patina over time.  It might look okay with the painted brick though.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ChitChat said:

I'm concerned that the copper gutters will patina over time.  It might look okay with the painted brick though.  

If someone doesn't steal them first. Copper thieves are very active in some areas.

• LOL 2

I liked what Chip & JoAnna did with the remodel on the at-risk girls' home.  The outdoor space was really nice too.  I liked how they made that to be practically maintenance free.   It does look like JoAnna has landed on the color of dark green for cabinets!  This is the 3rd time I've seen her use it.  I think that's what she painted her kitchen cabinets at home.  I like it, but I hope she'll use it in moderation!!  Great job overall though.  And I'm sure all of the young ladies who stay at the shelter will at least feel a little better having something so warm and inviting to call home, even if for a short while.  

• Love 1

I love Joanna's design no matter what color she uses. Some folks just can't get past her color choices which is a shame because I believe she actually gets strong input from her clients.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, MsTree said:

Some folks just can't get past her color choices which is a shame because I believe she actually gets strong input from her clients.

I like the color, but I'm noticing that she sometimes gets stuck on one thing: subway tiles; shiplap; green cabinets.  It's not a criticism, just an observation. 

With most designers, they sometimes steer their clients towards certain color choices.   The trend I've seen for a few years is using gray in kitchen cabinets or countertop choices.  My point was that I guess the color dark green (which I like) is on trend now.  That and the patterned tiles for either flooring or backsplashes. 

• Love 1
18 hours ago, ChitChat said:

I like the color, but I'm noticing that she sometimes gets stuck on one thing: subway tiles; shiplap; green cabinets.  It's not a criticism, just an observation. 

With most designers, they sometimes steer their clients towards certain color choices.   The trend I've seen for a few years is using gray in kitchen cabinets or countertop choices.  My point was that I guess the color dark green (which I like) is on trend now.  That and the patterned tiles for either flooring or backsplashes. 

Agree...lately the trend is either blue or green for cabinets.

I'd be a terrible client, because I'm not one who goes with trendy colors, and there's no way any designer would be able to convince me otherwise. 

• Love 4
18 hours ago, MsTree said:

Agree...lately the trend is either blue or green for cabinets.

I'd be a terrible client, because I'm not one who goes with trendy colors, and there's no way any designer would be able to convince me otherwise. 

Agree. A designer trying to force something on me would only serve to get them sacked tout suite. I don't want a trendy house, I want a house that looks good to me.

• Love 5

I really think that the clients fill out long questionaires about style, colors, materials they want, and Joanna gives them what they want.    I'm guessing if you don't like her style, you don't sign up for the show.

The remodel on this week's new episode, Season 1, Episode 6 Mediterranean Money Pit was hysterically bizarre before.   The platform for the main bedroom, the sunken tub, the saloon door for the toilet closet, and the strange wall finishes or wallpaper were hideous.   The cheetah print wall paper on the ceiling was disgusting.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
17 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I really think that the clients fill out long questionaires about style, colors, materials they want, and Joanna gives them what they want.    I'm guessing if you don't like her style, you don't sign up for the show.

We've seen her sit with her clients and go through colors, etc., but I think there's still a fair number of things she chooses on her own (I could be wrong on that!)  I would have to pick out almost every single item if I worked with a decorator or someone who was doing a big reno on my house, especially the kitchen cabinets and backsplash!  

Overall, I like her designs, but there are a few things she's done over the years that I wouldn't want for myself - white subway tiles come to mind.  No offense to those who like them! 

• Love 2

14 hours ago, ChitChat said:

We've seen her sit with her clients and go through colors, etc., but I think there's still a fair number of things she chooses on her own (I could be wrong on that!)  I would have to pick out almost every single item if I worked with a decorator or someone who was doing a big reno on my house, especially the kitchen cabinets and backsplash!  

Overall, I like her designs, but there are a few things she's done over the years that I wouldn't want for myself - white subway tiles come to mind.  No offense to those who like them! 

14 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

The remodel on this week's new episode, Season 1, Episode 6 Mediterranean Money Pit was hysterically bizarre before.   The platform for the main bedroom, the sunken tub, the saloon door for the toilet closet, and the strange wall finishes or wallpaper were hideous.   The cheetah print wall paper on the ceiling was disgusting.  

Would love to know what their budget was for the renovation on this project.

Edited by cameron

Well, I was enjoying the DIY/Magnolia network as part of my Dish Network package, but I have just realized that I no longer get that channel (111 on Dish Network.)  It finally dawned on me that my DVR wasn't recording any new shows (Fixer Upper; Zoe Bakes, and a few more), so I see that Dish isn't carrying it.  Is anybody else having the same problem?  I guess it was just a free preview in January.  Sigh!

2 hours ago, ChitChat said:

Well, I was enjoying the DIY/Magnolia network as part of my Dish Network package, but I have just realized that I no longer get that channel (111 on Dish Network.)  It finally dawned on me that my DVR wasn't recording any new shows (Fixer Upper; Zoe Bakes, and a few more), so I see that Dish isn't carrying it.  Is anybody else having the same problem?  I guess it was just a free preview in January.  Sigh!

Wow! Really? That's shocking to me.  I'm old school (and old) so I still have Comcast XFinity.  It's one of the weird channels that uses a different technology, so it's a little slower in responding when you change to it and it looks a little poorer quality (as do several other channels that are on that system), but it's there and included with my service the same what DIY was before.

I'm still enjoying Clint Harp's Restoration Road and the new Fixer Upper.  The latest FU episode featured a gal who had moved from California to Waco to work for Magnolia. She bought a really cute 1930's cottage and Chip and Jo did a great job restoring and updating it. They covered most of the existing shiplap walls with drywall, but they left it exposed on the ceilings and painted it white.  I loved that they reused the old wood burning stove, but moved it to a new location with a surrounding feature.  I also loved the green kitchen cabinets. I wish I could do that in my house.

I'm wondering if the free preview on Dish was a way to make you get another tier of channels?   Call Dish and see what it would cost to get Magnolia/DIY included, it might be cheaper than another streaming service, and I wonder what other channels would be included?   They always seem to have bundles, not just one channel. 

This new episode is Season 1, Episode 7 "From Beach to Woodsy Cottage".   Shorty is back!    He's the original Magnolia employee in the flipping business, and I didn't see him in the previous Welcome Home episodes.    The homeowner moved from Santa Monica, California from a tiny apartment to Waco, to work for Magnolia.   Kim lived in California her entire life.   Her Golden Retriever is adorable.  

The cottage house is 3 bed, 2 bath 1/4 acre lot, 1556 sq. ft.   Built in 1936.   I think Chip found a new buddy in the dog, Hank.   I love the wood ceilings in the house, and the stained glass in the kitchen.  The current kitchen is an addition, but the old kitchen was used as a third bedroom.   The back yard is wonderful.

I love the finished house.   

I really liked the kitchen, and the bedroom.

Chip said something about Shorty working close by, when they were moving that horribly heavy cast iron stove into the fireplace.   I bet Shorty works with Magnolia, because they're still doing new builds, remodels, and working on the Silo complex.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
8 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Shorty is back!   

Yay!  I wondered what happened to him.  Maybe he's been on other projects they have going.  I'll see what I need to do to get that channel back.  I think it will involve streaming Discovery+.  I was adamant about not getting nickeled and dimed to death, but I might just cave if it's not too much!!

On 2/17/2022 at 10:10 AM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I'm wondering if the free preview on Dish was a way to make you get another tier of channels? 

I could go with another package on Dish for about $10 more a month.  I realized that I could get DiscoveryPlus through my Amazon Prime for $4.99/mo (commercials) or $6.99/mo (no commercials.)  I signed up through Prime.  

I still have to catch up on the episodes.  I just watched episode 5 where they add on to the Silos.  I love to see old churches like that, so I'm happy to see them incorporate that into the Silos.  The coffee shop, furniture store, and all of the little shops look so inviting.  Kudos to Chip and Joanna for bringing that vision to life, and for being able to keep so many people employed during the difficult times we've been through the past 2 years.  

• Love 1
On 2/12/2022 at 2:14 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

The remodel on this week's new episode, Season 1, Episode 6 Mediterranean Money Pit was hysterically bizarre before. 

I wonder if it was originally built like that or if it had been remodeled at some point.  I'm glad they changed out the flooring in the living room.  They all liked the original tiles, but it was too orangey for me.  I thought the wood flooring looked much better.  It brought more warmth to the room.  

As much as I love Joanna's style (in most things), the color green is her new white subway tiles!  I love green, but it seems to be something she's using a lot of.  Not that there's anything wrong with that, just an observation.  She ended up changing out the pendant light in the laundry room, along with the rolling table.  I liked the end result with the laundry room.  Adding the windows to the front of the house helped a lot too.  The house looks so much better now.  I love the double islands, and the oven is really nice too.  That style of oven seems to be popular in home reno these days.  I don't think I could afford one like that though!