Type keyword(s) to search

Fixer Upper - General Discussion

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Spunkygal said:

The Discovery+ commercial in which Chip says to Jo “C’mon, baby girl, we’re back at it” sets my teeth on edge. If my husband called me baby girl, he’d get an earful from me. Grrrr.

At first I wanted to indicate laughter, but then realized how pi$$ed I'd be if my husband called me baby girl. How condescending!  Chip Gaines is a 14 k gold jerk, who always looks like he needs a hot shower, shampoo, & a real deal haircut. 

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

The Discovery+ commercial in which Chip says to Jo “C’mon, baby girl, we’re back at it” sets my teeth on edge.

At least it was Chip saying it.  I hate going to restaurants and stores in which the clerk/waitresses call me and my husband "baby doll; honey; sweetie; baby....."  Ugh! 

It would be weird for Mr. Chat to address me by any of those words, but I wouldn't be offended by it.  I don't think Chip means anything condescending or offensive either.   Much ado about nothing.  YMMV. 

• Love 5

Before, when Chip grows his hair out, he goes online (their FB page before), and the more people donate, the more hair he cuts off, and the proceeds go to St. Jude's.    The first year I think it was almost $300k (he shaved his head that year).  The next year they raised about $2 million, part went to a foundation in honor of a friend who died of cancer, and the rest to St. Jude's, and Chip matched many of the contributions.  That was when he ran in the Silo marathon, or half marathon, and people donated for that.      So maybe he's doing the hair thing again.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 4

Can't help but see that promo. My (least) favorite part was a version in which Chip narrates that there will be things no one's seen before--followed by a cut to him throwing himself through a wall. Again. Some more. Still haven't activated the free 6 months of the app Verizon offered.😂

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
59 minutes ago, buttersister said:

Can't help but see that promo. My (least) favorite part was a version in which Chip narrates that there will be things no one's seen before--followed by a cut to him throwing himself through a wall. Again. Some more. Still haven't activated the free 6 months of the app Verizon offered.😂

Blech!  I saw that promo tonight.  Ryan does it on Maine Cabin Masters (maybe he's copying the Chipster?) and it's so stupid...plus, just asking for injury.  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, buttersister said:

Still haven't activated the free 6 months of the app Verizon offered.😂

As much as I want to see the new shows with Chip & Joanna, I refuse to pay an additional charge for Discovery+.  I do not like the direction that TV is going in this regard.  They want to nickel and dime us to death.  No thanks. 

• Love 2

They want to take us away from cable but when you start to figure it out, all of these add ons come to more than we pay for cable.  Don't forget we still need to pay for wifi so they'll get us that way.

I got a year free from Verizon but I haven't watched chip and Joanna yet.  I was watching Home Town and Fixer to Fabulous.

• Love 1

Anybody watch their new show on Discovery Plus?  Wow...that house reminded me of season 1 when they used to take on real fixer uppers.

I could almost smell the house through the TV...ugh.

But as usual they did a pretty good job on it.

• Love 1

I'm still reading that Magnolia network will launch sometime this year, and replace DIY network, and I'm hoping it will.   That will include the next season of FIxer Upper, with 10 to 15 houses, Joanna's cooking show, Clint Harp, and a bunch of other original shows.   I'm hoping that the network won't get scuttled, and everything ends up on Discovery+ instead, because I'm not getting a streaming service. 

• Love 3

Just watched the second episode of Welcome Home.  I see that Joanna has evolved in her design aesthetic.  In both episodes the office was in the front of the house and for the wall between the office and the living space she has put glass and metal.  Episode 1 was a big window from an office building and in episode 2 she actually had it made with the bottom half wall of walnut and then the upper half looks like window panes.  It's very dramatic and stunning. 

Episode 2 they made mention that this was the first time a TV was featured in a living room on Fixer Upper.

Also I loved that they used walnut cabinets in the kitchen too...no white!!

• Love 2
On 2/4/2021 at 2:51 PM, annzeepark914 said:

I wonder what will happen to Maine Cabin Masters.  I love that show.

They're advertising it as running on the DIY network, which will eventually change into the Magnolia network, I guess that's when MCM will move to HGTV.    Then I'll get to see the Fixer Upper Welcome Home episodes.   I like the scenes they're showing of the new season.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama

I have Discovery+ (about to cut cable) and spent today browsing several of the new shows on Magnolia Network and for the most part really enjoyed them.  I watched Clint Harp's new show which featured the renovation of a cool train car in Idaho, I watched a show where a family is renovating a school in Utah to become their residence, and I watched a show about a gym in Abilene (the one that least kept my attention).  Client Harp is just a likeable person, the show about the school (Home Work?) was really very good, and of course I've watched the first episode of Fixer Upper and I agree - Joanna has expanded her design aesthetic and I also think she's a lot more confident about herself also.

Of course I have to admit I binged Tiny House shows all yesterday....LOL!

The new season of Maine Cabin Masters isn't showing yet although I think it has started on DIY Network.  I don't subscribe to that network so I'm excited to be able to watch MCM hopefully soon.

• Love 1

I just saw the facebook announcement, and the Magnolia network app launches on 15 July 2021.   The app will include the new programming of Fixer Upper new episodes, Magnolia Kitchen, and the complete Fixer Upper archive, plus some of their other new shows.   For now the D+ streaming will only have a few episodes of the new Fixer episodes, and previews of Magnolia shows.   However, in July when the Magnolia app is available, there will be more new programs on Discovery +.   

Then, in January 2022, the network on cable launches, and it will replace DIY network, and have all of the new Fixer Upper episodes, plus the archive.     Plus, it will have Joanna's cooking show, and other shows with Clint Harp on his series, and other new programs.    One article I saw claims that the Magnolia cable channel will also have new seasons of some of the current DIY shows.    I didn't see if D + streaming will still have all of the Magnolia programming when the Magnolia network launches, or if it will only be on the Magnolia app, or what happens to it. 

The app and network will include the new season of Fixer Upper.   I like the previews of the new episodes, and look forward to seeing what design features Joanna does now.  The home owners look like a lot of fun too.  

I wish Chip would dial back on the whacky behavior.   I know that he was flipping, and renting houses in college, and he's the one that went into flipping as a profession, but he needs to stop with the bigger than life, life of the party routine.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 5
On 2/11/2021 at 11:40 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

Then, in January 2022, the network on cable launches, and it will replace DIY network …  One article I saw claims that the Magnolia cable channel will also have new seasons of some of the current DIY shows.

I can't stand Fixer Upper. It's too fake and formulaic for my taste and the Gaines aren't my cup of tea either. But I can simply skip the show when it's on. No problem. But the whole Magnolia channel replacing DIY with all the shows I love and replacing them with shows similar to theirs really made me sad. I had hoped that they would move to Discovery+ and DIY would stay. Hopefully they'll keep at least some of my favorite shows like Restoring Galveston and Restored.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Sewlitaire said:

But the whole Magnolia channel replacing DIY with all the shows I love and replacing them with shows similar to theirs really made me sad.

I think it was last year (pre-Covid) when they previewed the new shows with the Magnolia Network, and there were many of them that were unique and not of the home remodeling type of shows.  I remember one was going to be about a lady who opened up her own very unique style restaurant (I know that doesn't sound interesting, but her story actually was!)  There were some other non-Fixer Upper type of shows that sounded good.   As long as I don't have to sign up for another channel and pay for it, I'll be watching!  

Caught a short preview of an upcoming show. They were working on a house that would be used to help women in unfortunate (abusive?) situations. Instead of the org's women discussing the reno with Joanna, they asked if her sister (I think that was her with blond hair) to take the meeting. I'd say that was Covid-related, but they showed up without masks at the end. Anyway, similar deal on Home Town this season, must be a Discovery-related trend. (Not like granite countertops, luckily.)

I watched that episode, it was very weird. I also was surprised that so much focus was given on the blond woman Jenny (not sure she's Jo's sister or a friend). At least the organisation women were there for the reveal, and appropriate distancing was observed (not as in previous episodes with hugs galore...). Everything Chip said about the organisation and the women felt empty of any real feelings, the inspirational mottos in every room sounded like fake concern. I felt uneasy watching.

On 2/22/2021 at 4:31 AM, Sarnia said:

I watched that episode, it was very weird. I also was surprised that so much focus was given on the blond woman Jenny (not sure she's Jo's sister or a friend). At least the organisation women were there for the reveal, and appropriate distancing was observed (not as in previous episodes with hugs galore...). Everything Chip said about the organisation and the women felt empty of any real feelings, the inspirational mottos in every room sounded like fake concern. I felt uneasy watching.

I totally disagree.  The woman Jenny was the friend who contacted Jo and Chip to get them involved.  I appreciated how careful they were to protect the location of the shelter and did not show any shots identifying its location.  I suspect the two women who are directly associated with the shelter had very little time to devote to what no doubt was a pretty intense shooting schedule, not to mention keeping a low profile for security issues.

I've been to this kind of shelter - our youth group worked with a local one for several years - these children are usually brought there in a crisis situation - removal from home because of abuse, death of their caregiver, etc., and can be there anywhere from 24 hours to many months (the shelter I know was not gender specific so many times there were multiple children from one family).  They arrive terrified and sometimes with only the clothes on their back (one of our missions was gathering luggage so when they left the shelter they didn't have to put their belongings in a plastic bag).  Transforming that place from a clinical ragtag of a space into something that looked more home like was no doubt a blessing to the children.

I think Chip and Jo truly would have empathy for this - they have 5 much loved children themselves.  I think they had to be very careful about what was said (even though lately Chip has really gotten on my nerves).

• Love 2
On 2/27/2021 at 2:36 AM, ChitChat said:

I watch their shows for the real estate.

I  would be interested to watch their shows only for the real estate. I don't need to know how cute their kids are and how special it makes them feel to do good deeds while renovating. I had quit watching the show because of Chip's goofiness and because of Johanna same old-same old design style. I went back again after reading here that her style had change, which indeed it has (good for her) but there is definitely too much Gaines and not enough real estate in their show for me. Their show (and their brand) is completely based around their personal life and personalities, so it does matter what we think of them. I don't relate with them, so I'm off again!

• Love 4
(edited)
On 2/7/2021 at 9:35 PM, RoxiP said:

I have Discovery+ (about to cut cable) and spent today browsing several of the new shows on Magnolia Network and for the most part really enjoyed them.  I watched Clint Harp's new show which featured the renovation of a cool train car in Idaho, I watched a show where a family is renovating a school in Utah to become their residence, and I watched a show about a gym in Abilene (the one that least kept my attention).  Client Harp is just a likeable person, the show about the school (Home Work?) was really very good, and of course I've watched the first episode of Fixer Upper and I agree - Joanna has expanded her design aesthetic and I also think she's a lot more confident about herself also.

I have Discovery+, too, and I also enjoyed the same shows. I didn't try the one about the gym, though. That one didn't interest me.  The one disappointment I had was that one of the kitchen shows they mentioned in their interview preview wasn't available. I think I'll like that one, too.

I'm still confused about how the Magnolia Network is going to work, and what old DIY shows will be included. I really love Restored, Stone House Revival, and Saving Galveston, so I hope those are there somewhere or moved to the mothership.

Off topic (but in reaction to things brought up and left to stand by other participants on this thread): I have to say that I wish the discussion here would center on the show and not someone's personal agenda to criticize a family's religious beliefs and practices.  That seems to cross a line into religious persecution and I believe (according to the rules) this is not the place for that type of thing. If someone wants to criticize the religious beliefs and practices of the Gaines, I would suggest finding a religious discussion forum. This forum should be for discussion of things that happen on the show or things they say on the show.  This is IMHO, but if the moderators here believe that criticism and persecution of people for their religious beliefs is fine here on this forum I'll happily leave.

Edited by SusanwatchingTV
  • Love 1

I also watched a show on Magnolia about a woman who has a restaurant staffed by all women - it was a great show and I hope more episodes are forthcoming.

I agree - some clarity about what showed (I too like Restored, the Galveston show and that crazy New Orleans lady, plus Maine Cabin Masters is a huge favorite) about what shows are going to be on in the future would be nice.  Plus I am ready for more episodes of the Magnolia shows to be rolled out (and if you haven't tried Joanna's biscuit recipe I highly recommend it if you are a biscuit person).  

I did see that Maine Cabin Masters is shooting a new season so that gives me hope.

I watched shows for entertainment, not for the person's religious beliefs.  Not my place to judge.  

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, RoxiP said:

I also watched a show on Magnolia about a woman who has a restaurant staffed by all women - it was a great show and I hope more episodes are forthcoming.

I agree - some clarity about what showed (I too like Restored, the Galveston show and that crazy New Orleans lady, plus Maine Cabin Masters is a huge favorite) about what shows are going to be on in the future would be nice.  Plus I am ready for more episodes of the Magnolia shows to be rolled out (and if you haven't tried Joanna's biscuit recipe I highly recommend it if you are a biscuit person).  

I did see that Maine Cabin Masters is shooting a new season so that gives me hope.

I watched shows for entertainment, not for the person's religious beliefs.  Not my place to judge.  

I'll have to check out the restaurant show. I usually don't do cooking/restaurant shows because I'm not into cooking at all, but I do like Restaurant Impossible.

I don't cook, but I do like to eat so maybe I'll try the biscuit recipe next time I get the itch to bake. lol

My understanding is that in January 2022, Magnolia Network will take over the DIY network, with a the Magnolia shows on it, but with the entire library of Fixer Upper, plus at least 10-15 new Fixer episodes.   There will be Joanna's cooking show, Clint Harp with his show, and a lot more.   However, I think almost everything will be on the Discovery+ app in a couple of months.  

Here's an article about it:

https://deadline.com/2021/02/chip-joanna-gaines-magnolia-network-launch-date-app-discovery-plus-diy-linear-1234691876/

It does say there will be new seasons of DIY favorites, but doesn't say exactly what.   I think that's so the Discovery honchos can move things around from the streaming service, the regular cable channels, and probably run some of them on several channels when they need programming. 

• Useful 1
On 5/27/2021 at 11:34 AM, SusanwatchingTV said:

I'll have to check out the restaurant show. I usually don't do cooking/restaurant shows because I'm not into cooking at all, but I do like Restaurant Impossible.

I don't cook, but I do like to eat so maybe I'll try the biscuit recipe next time I get the itch to bake. lol

The Lost Kitchen is the name of the restaurant show.

(edited)
5 hours ago, RoxiP said:

The Lost Kitchen is the name of the restaurant show.

Yes. I remember that now.  I just looked up the other show I was interested in and it's either called "For the Love of Kitchens" or 'Bespoke Kitchens" but it's about Kitchen design, not cooking.  I can't find anything about it on the Discovery+ App, though, so I'm wondering if they've dropped it or they'll still have it. The kitchens were amazing, though.

I started a Magnolia Network topic in Network Talk because I forgot the FU topic still existed, hah. I actually like the Magnolia Network. Like I said in Network Talk, it's more HGTV than HGTV. There are actual gardening shows! I really like Homegrown, where Jamila Norman transforms people's backyards into functioning gardens.

I also liked The Lost Kitchen and seeing how a restauranteur in a small town found ways to keep herself afloat during the pandemic.

I'm actually watching The Ranch Table right now. It's Pioneer Woman but not annoying and far better food.

On 8/13/2021 at 10:22 PM, Automne said:

I started a Magnolia Network topic in Network Talk because I forgot the FU topic still existed, hah. I actually like the Magnolia Network. Like I said in Network Talk, it's more HGTV than HGTV. There are actual gardening shows! I really like Homegrown, where Jamila Norman transforms people's backyards into functioning gardens.

I also liked The Lost Kitchen and seeing how a restauranteur in a small town found ways to keep herself afloat during the pandemic.

I'm actually watching The Ranch Table right now. It's Pioneer Woman but not annoying and far better food.

I loved The Lost Kitchen and although Growing Floret is kind of slow I ended up really liking it - it is worth watching simply for the gorgeous flowers.  I also like all the Johnny Swim shows, Home Work, Restoration Road, and even the silly Van show.  

It's a slow evening so I'm watching a show from Season 5, Big Budget for a Big House. This is the episode that had me shaking my head because the husband is so adorable, but his wife is not.  They had $850,000 to spend (Chip said this was the biggest budget they'd ever had to work with, as of 2/6/18) and the very nice house they chose ended up looking fabulous.  

I think some of the homeowners are very uncomfortable on camera, and they don't come off well.   I've read that the filming of a show like this can take many hours, and a lot of takes, so I'm sure some of the homeowners are very tired, and come across rather flat, and it's just fatigue, and doing the same take over and over. 

I really enjoyed some of the homeowners.   The lady in West, TX who had lost her home in the explosions and fire there, the young woman who was newly divorced, and just wanted a nice affordable house, close to her friends (Preston was her son).     The veterinarian that was the long distance runner was so nice.   So many of the homeowners seemed like nice people.  

Some I didn't like though.   The older newlyweds that later blamed the house they bought that was hit by a drunk driver (yes, the house was hit) on the Gaines' real estate company, the couple moving back from Pakistan after years over there just left me cold.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1
On 8/13/2021 at 10:22 PM, Automne said:

I just started watching Homegrown and really like it, and I'm not a huge fan of gardening shows, but she makes having a backyard garden seem so accessible (too bad I'm about to sell my back yard).

• LOL 1

I wonder if this is a Texas thing or a southern thing?  I hear it a lot around here.

It’s pretty common to call your girlfriend or wife “baby” or “babe.”

I don’t see how saying “baby girl” is any different. 

I follow Save 1900 on Facebook, which is the page for the couple that have the Saving Galveston show on DIY. They just announced a few days ago that they'll be part of the Magnolia Network lineup of shows, so I'm very happy about that.  I hope that also means Stone House Revival and Restored will still be on that network.

I watched another episode of the schoolhouse show (can't remember the name) and it was okay.  It seemed a little slow, but it was interesting seeing the old ladies who had been students there when it was a school. I love it when people save old buildings like that.  

I also loved the Fixer Upper episode about the new complex at Magnolia Market with the restored church building they moved to the site.  It's pretty neat.  I visited there and saw it (before the area fully opened) before I saw the episode, so I was particularly interested in that episode.

Oh, and I just watched the latest episode of NCIS: LA and Deeks called Kensey "Baby Girl" just before the end credits, so I guess that term of endearment isn't just a southern thing (unless you count southern California as southern lol).

On 10/18/2021 at 6:33 PM, SusanwatchingTV said:

I hope that also means Stone House Revival and Restored will still be on that network.

I watched another episode of the schoolhouse show (can't remember the name) and it was okay.  It seemed a little slow, but it was interesting seeing the old ladies who had been students there when it was a school. I love it when people save old buildings like that. 

Magnolia have announced which DIY shows they'll take with them and it's Restoring Galveston, Maine Cabin Masters, Barnwood Builders, Bargain Mansions and Stone House Revival (hope I didn't forget any). So unfortunately no more Restored which is such a shame. Can't stand those narrow-minded, boring Gaines'.

Home Work (the schoolhouse show) isn't my thing at all. I love old houses but they're taking a very simple 20s schoolhouse and try to convert it into a 18th century French chateaux. Way too much is fake with styrofoam moulding and plastic shower curtains pretending to be paintings. And who puts handpainted, expensive AF wallpaper in a 6-year old's bedroom?

But I liked the show Clint Harp did. Is there a thread to discuss the Discovery Plus shows?

• Useful 1
39 minutes ago, Sewlitaire said:

Magnolia have announced which DIY shows they'll take with them and it's Restoring Galveston, Maine Cabin Masters, Barnwood Builders, Bargain Mansions and Stone House Revival (hope I didn't forget any). So unfortunately no more Restored which is such a shame. Can't stand those narrow-minded, boring Gaines'.

Home Work (the schoolhouse show) isn't my thing at all. I love old houses but they're taking a very simple 20s schoolhouse and try to convert it into a 18th century French chateaux. Way too much is fake with styrofoam moulding and plastic shower curtains pretending to be paintings. And who puts handpainted, expensive AF wallpaper in a 6-year old's bedroom?

But I liked the show Clint Harp did. Is there a thread to discuss the Discovery Plus shows?

Boo. I loved Restored. I wonder if Brett Waterman just didn't want to do it anymore or if there's some other reason.  Unless we know for sure that the Gaines just didn't want him and his show for some reason of their own I don't think we should assume bad intentions on their part.  I personally don't like the bashing of the Gaines for their beliefs, so I'll just stop there.

I follow Brett Waterman on FB so maybe he'll make some kind of announcement there about his future plans.

I liked Clint Harp's show, too, though I've only watched the first episode about the train car.

Edited to add:  I'm not sure we should count out Restored just yet.  That show is always in limited runs, so even if it isn't there in January on Magnolia, that doesn't mean it won't be back on that network eventually. I'm not giving up on it.

Still hoping for Restored.
19 minutes ago, SusanwatchingTV said:

Edited to add:  I'm not sure we should count out Restored just yet.  That show is always in limited runs, so even if it isn't there in January on Magnolia, that doesn't mean it won't be back on that network eventually. I'm not giving up on it.

I commented on Instagram about Restored not being on their list and what it shame it is and Brett liked my comment without contradicting me about it getting cancelled. But hopefully you're right.

• Love 2
On 10/20/2021 at 3:50 PM, Sewlitaire said:

I commented on Instagram about Restored not being on their list and what it shame it is and Brett liked my comment without contradicting me about it getting cancelled. But hopefully you're right.

I just saw a post by Brett on Facebook with the tags:  @diynetwork @hgtv @magnolia @nativetile @kohler @bonnemacabinets @kichlerlighting @clouston_sash_door @sherwinwilliams

I'm thinking that if he'd been rejected by Magnolia he wouldn't be tagging them, so I'm taking that as a good sign.

• Love 3

I looked at the Magnolia schedule for a few days ahead.    The Fixer Upper Welcome Home episode 1 runs tonight (8 p.m. Central), and reruns a bunch of times for the next week.  During the day it's pretty much the old DIY remodeling shows.     Some shows moved to HGTV.   So, it will be interesting to see what new seasons of shows are on the Magnolia lineup.     The fixer designs seems different, more current and less rustic than they used to be.