Type keyword(s) to search

Fixer Upper - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Chip and Joanna Gaines turned their home-renovation business into a huge industry and became household names, thanks to HGTV series "Fixer Upper."

But they have bigger things in store for their new cable network, now in the works from HGTV parent Discovery.

The channel will be launched in summer 2020 and replace Discovery's DIY network, the couple exclusively tell USA TODAY. It is expected to be branded with some variation of their Magnolia banner, which grew out of their construction business. 

More here: https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2019/04/10/exclusive-chip-and-joanna-gaines-reveal-plans-new-tv-venture/3412816002/

• Love 1

I totally agree. Basically, we're gonna have HGTV with Prop Bros & Love it or List It, 5 versions of Flip or Flop,  3 million House Hunters, and The Gaines Network. 

I was just thinking today how I missed all the other shows we used to have - the Crashers, the Sarah Richardson shows, Candace,  I Hate My Bath/Kitchen, Desperate Landscapes (remember when HGTV had actual "G" in it?).

Also the Mike Holmes shows, Bryan Baumler, Scott McGillvery - the Canadians! They're still all making shows - we're just not allowed to see them.

• Love 2

There are some shows on DIY that are filming new shows - Maine Cabin Masters, Bargain Mansions. Hopefully those shows will stay and it won't be the Gaines' 24/7. However, they can drop Rehab Addict yesterday.

• Love 2

Apparently the head of DIY/soon to be Gaines TV, is the head of HGTV, so it's more of a transition with a lot of Gaines, than a total change.     HGTV has also been showing some of the DIY shows from time to time, so maybe they will put some of them on their home channel.   

• Love 1
On 4/11/2019 at 1:43 AM, CruiseDiva said:

They're going to replace DIY network? Well, that just sucks.

It really does.  I don't care about their views on raising kids, cooking and eating, faith, yada yada (paraphrasing from the new CEO).  I thought they'd get their own, new channel and never dreamed they'd take over one I loved.

• Love 4

The takeover has happened before.   The Oprah network used to be very different, OWN I think it's called now.    Or as I call it, the Dr. Phil network.   Then, years ago one of the discovery channels became the Green channel, with some green slants, but that didn't last for long either.    Style (formerly part of E!, which I think is part of Lifetime network group) changed to something else too.     

I'm hoping the change in network focus will bump the shows I don't enjoy, and keep the others I do (Mike Holmes).      I noticed Bargain Mansions is showing up on HGTV occasionally now, so maybe they'll put Fixer Upper on Gaines, and shift others over from DIY to HGTV.     And there are a lot that show up on GAC, and D-Life from other discovery channels (TLC, HGTV, etc), so I bet that will keep happening too.   

• Love 1

I noticed Joanna and Chimp's book on Amazon Unlimited some time ago and since it was "free" I downloaded it to my Kindle. I couldn't make it through the entire thing. It was self-serving and cutesy beyond belief. 

I imagine their "network" will be more of the same.

Edited by CruiseDiva
Spelling matters.
  • Love 3
On 4/11/2019 at 9:15 AM, chessiegal said:

There are some shows on DIY that are filming new shows - Maine Cabin Masters, Bargain Mansions. Hopefully those shows will stay and it won't be the Gaines' 24/7. However, they can drop Rehab Addict yesterday.

Maine Cabin Masters announced a couple of weeks ago that they're moving to HGTV (and were very excited about being on the bigger network). MCM is now filming Season 4 (thank goodness - it's one of the few shows I watch on TV these days).

• Love 4
On 4/12/2019 at 11:11 PM, Kitty Redstone said:

It really does.  I don't care about their views on raising kids, cooking and eating, faith, yada yada (paraphrasing from the new CEO).  I thought they'd get their own, new channel and never dreamed they'd take over one I loved.

I don't care about them, their views, or anything else about them.  IMO, they're obnoxious fame whores who want to pretend that they aren't spending most of their time making money rather than with their kids.  You can't tell me that they aren't gone a good bit of time, which is their choice, but I just wish they wouldn't try to act like their priorities are different than what they say they are.

Let me be clear that if they didn't insist on ending their show to spend more time with their family and insisting that their faith is their focus, etc., etc., when in reality, they're all over the Today show and People magazine while starting their own network, then I wouldn't see them as the hypocrites I find them to be.  

• Love 11
1 hour ago, HighHopes said:

This was a rather interesting (and long) Buzzfeed article on Chip and Joanna and their brand and how they have kind of taken over the city of Waco. “Fixer Upper” Is Over, But Waco’s Transformation Is Just Beginning

I just read this article an hour ago.  Is it just a nasty rumor that the Gaines are being sued by a lot of homeowners (who purchased houses and had them made over on the show)? You'd think that would've been mentioned in this article.  I've heard 2 people say this but never saw it in print so I really didn't believe it.

• Love 1

There were several articles when former clients had their house ,across from a very busy intersection, hit by a drunk driver.   

They claimed that Magnolia Realty (apparently their realtor that found the house for them), had sold them a bad house in a bad neighborhood.     Except they bought the house before the episode ever aired, applied to be on the show, and the neighborhood didn't change.    I noticed the neighboring houses didn't look that great, and it's right across from a convenience store/bait, and other stuff shop.    So it's not exactly the suburbs.     

The Barndominum also was in court, because the owner who bought from the people on the show was renting nightly, and the neighbors were up in arms.    

There have also been complaints from neighbors of the over the top, expensive remodels ruining the tax assessments for neighbors.  The assessor says that houses are done individually, especially when one has been dramatically remodeled, and the neighbors assessments go up because their house values have gone up.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
16 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Why oh why does HGTV run marathons of this show which is no longer in production for 6 to 12 hours almost every day?

Annoying, isn't it? My guess is that they aren't putting a lot of effort into new shows on HGTV and are spending a lot of time and money behind the scenes on the Wackos From Waco channel that is replacing my beloved DIY. Even new episodes of House Hunters are getting scarce some weeks.

• Love 1
On 6/10/2019 at 11:51 AM, CruiseDiva said:

Annoying, isn't it? My guess is that they aren't putting a lot of effort into new shows on HGTV and are spending a lot of time and money behind the scenes on the Wackos From Waco channel that is replacing my beloved DIY. Even new episodes of House Hunters are getting scarce some weeks.

Is it really necessary to run Fixer Upper ALL DAY Saturdays and Sundays?  Sick of it. Plus, they repeat them from years back! Too much personal footage in this show anyway. 

• Love 9
46 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Repeating my self. Why are they running reruns of a cancelled show for hours and hours every day of the week?

So boring. Even episodes of My Lottery Dream Home are more entertaining.

• Love 3

I have a lot of allergies so when I see a dream catcher I think "dust catcher."

When I see shiplap indoors I think "dust catcher" because the grooves create horizontal surfaces that are magnets for dust, lint and pet hair/feathers. Everything that collects in your HVAC filters also collects on a wall's horizontal grooves.  

It creeped me out today when Joanna covered a wall with rough cut cedar planks. I already have plenty to do and my allergies are bad enough as it is; I have no desire to vacuum my walls.

I lived in the mountains for about 30 years and got damn sick and tired of log cabin-style interior walls that were full of dust and dirt and fireplace soot, not just in homes but also in public places like restaurants and shops. Gah!

• Love 4

I watched last night's episode. For once, they didn't rip down all the walls and create one open room. The Tuscany style was bare, but I loved that the couple kept the arches and had a banquet instead of the usual uncomfortable bar stools.

• Love 2

The latest sale listing is the Zan (or Zann) listing, the Paw-Paw's ranch house, plus 200+ acres of cattle ranch.   It can be yours for only $1 million plus.       I wonder why it's being sold?   I loved that remodel, and hope the perfect person buys it.    That ranch was so nice.        

I loved the Tuscany remodel too.   

I love the first season, where they remodeled absolute dumps, and turned them into spectacular houses.    

• Love 2

I usually wont watch this show, but when my son has it on, I listen to the same ole everything in every episode.  The thing I notice the most, esp re Joanna is that the houses are about her...not the homeowner.  She spends the whole reveal saying I chose this and that, etc, but it rarely has anything to do with the homeowner.  I can’t stand them.

It is different on other shows, because even the property brothers say things like, you wanted a whatever and hopefully this will take care of that for you.  

• Love 4
21 minutes ago, alexa said:

I usually wont watch this show, but when my son has it on, I listen to the same ole everything in every episode.  The thing I notice the most, esp re Joanna is that the houses are about her...not the homeowner.  She spends the whole reveal saying I chose this and that, etc, but it rarely has anything to do with the homeowner.  I can’t stand them.

It is different on other shows, because even the property brothers say things like, you wanted a whatever and hopefully this will take care of that for you.  

When the new owners come out to the Gaines' home, sit down with Joanna and she shows them on her computer what her plans are, they're always in agreement.  Only once did I see an owner say he didn't like something and she changed it.  I've always wondered if this was just for show, that in reality the new owners spend some time with the Gaines, letting them know what they want in the house, colors they prefer, whether they want that (IMO) hideous barn sliding door or not, etc.  I know I certainly wouldn't invest my money in a fixer upper w/o a lot of input from me.

• Love 2
26 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

When the new owners come out to the Gaines' home, sit down with Joanna and she shows them on her computer what her plans are, they're always in agreement.  Only once did I see an owner say he didn't like something and she changed it.  I've always wondered if this was just for show, that in reality the new owners spend some time with the Gaines, letting them know what they want in the house, colors they prefer, whether they want that (IMO) hideous barn sliding door or not, etc.  I know I certainly wouldn't invest my money in a fixer upper w/o a lot of input from me.

I am referring more to how she talks to them, and it is I found this, I chose this, and what do you like best about what I did?  Lol. It annoys me to no end. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, alexa said:

Not really. The PB and almost every HGTV couple has an open concept requirement. Plus a bland as possible requirement. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Our landline rang today and caller id said "Gaines Workshop". I answered and immediately hung up. Have they started a business having house flipping seminars given by other people?

You should have asked, and if that's what it turned out to be kept them on as long as possible to annoy them 🙂 And no, that isn't me saying you're annoying. Just that I think you are more than smart enough to flip it (pun intended) on to the spammers. 

Edited by Grrarrggh
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Our landline rang today and caller id said "Gaines Workshop". I answered and immediately hung up. Have they started a business having house flipping seminars given by other people?

And I get calls from "Microsoft" (among other popular names) all the time. Just another robocall from the scammers of the world.

• Love 3

Friend who lives in TX took her sister who is visiting to Waco - 1 1/2 hour drive - for lunch at their restaurant. They had to wait over an hour to get in. She said the food was good and staff friendly. Afterwards they visited some of the shops in the Mercantile - she said the merchandise was overpriced.

• Useful 1

Food Network has been advertising a Joanna Gaines cooking show special to air today at 12. I suppose this was inevitable; since the Weirdos From Waco are taking over DIY soon, the other channels will air “specials” that are really pilots for their shows for the Magnolia Channel.

A little tasteless to use the pandemic and resulting quarantines as a framing device, though.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Automne said:

Food Network has been advertising a Joanna Gaines cooking show special to air today at 12. I suppose this was inevitable; since the Weirdos From Waco are taking over DIY soon, the other channels will air “specials” that are really pilots for their shows for the Magnolia Channel.

A little tasteless to use the pandemic and resulting quarantines as a framing device, though.

Exactly when are they supposed to take over DIY? I've been hearing about this for at least 6 months or longer.

Well crap. I hope they keep shows like Maine Cabin Masters. It's going to annoy me when I scroll through channels to see "Magnolia". Discovery is such a broadminded company. Why are they rewarding these homophobes? I want nothing to do with them.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Automne said:

October 4. Did a quick Google and it looks like that date was just announced a week ago. I did not ask for that as a birthday present.

Glad I don't get this station anymore. Can't stand the two of them and wish they would just go away.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, NJMom said:

Glad I don't get this station anymore. Can't stand the two of them and wish they would just go away.

I'm still waiting for when they take time away to be with their family.  The sooner, the better.  

• Love 4