Type keyword(s) to search

Firefly - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 1/6/2019 at 9:57 PM, andipandi said:

Anyone reading the new comics? They are not whedon-penned, but still have a nice feel for the 'verse. Set before the movie so everyone's all there.

I read the first one, Those Left Behind.  But I noticed that I can get them all through my local public library, so I'm going to read through them all.  Especially the Book one.  Curious to see how that one is. 

• Love 1
On 1/16/2020 at 11:56 AM, enoughcats said:

Thank you ...I never thought to check the library for 'comics'

Mine has them all.  I have read through most of the newer, canon Star Wars ones too.  The two that take place immediately after A New Hope are fantastic.  There's a Darth Vader one and a Luke's crew one.   

They also had Y: The Last Man, and Saga.  If you're a fan of Brian Vaughan.  

On a more Firefly related topic I did not like the Shepherd Book one at all.  I liked how they told the story but I was not a fan of the story itself.  Not even a little.  They should have gone with my idea.  But Joss Whedon didn't check with me first.  It was his story concept, written by his brother.  

• Love 1

Comic Con is going to be free online this year due to COVID-19 so everyone can see Nate Fillion's panel! It hasn't been assigned an official timeslot yet so be sure to check the Comic Con website in the next week or so!

A Conversation With Nathan Fillion
The Rookie showrunner Alexi Hawley talks with Nathan Fillion about his career in film and television. With special appearances by Joss Whedon, Alan Tudyk, Gina Torres, Mekia Cox, Molly Quinn, Seamus Dever and Jon Huertas.

• Love 3

TV's Best One-Season Shows — Which Do You Think Deserved a Season 2?
By Team TVLine / June 27 2022
https://tvline.com/lists/best-one-season-tv-shows-photos/ 

FIREFLY (2002-03)
NETWORK: Fox

THE CAST: Nathan Fillion (Castle), Gina Torres (Suits), Alan Tudyk (Resident Alien), Morena Baccarin (Gotham), Adam Baldwin (Chuck)

THE PLOT: Set 500 years in the future, this sci-fi drama centers on the renegade crew of the Serenity spaceship as it explores unknown parts of the galaxy.

• Applause 2
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Driad said:

If someone has never watched Firefly, and you could show them one or two episodes, which one(s) would you choose?

Gosh, there's a question. I'm spinning through all my favourite episodes in my head, trying to figure out if what I like about them is in any way accessible to a complete newbie.

Like...I adore Jaynestown. I love how contained and well-structured the episode is, how the plot is so wonderfully simple, like a tiny pebble dropped into a pond, with the story then deriving from the ripple effect, from the characters and how they react. I love how much fun it is...but would an outsider enjoy it the same way, someone who doesn't already know and love those characters from previous episodes? I don't know.

And I could say much the same thing about Shindig. Our Mrs Reynolds. War Stories. Out of Gas. Ariel. Safe...

Maybe just start at the beginning to get the character intros and take it forward from there? The Train Job was designed almost as a second pilot if they don't want to sit through a feature length episode for the actual pilot.

• Like 1

Wow.  That really is a good question.  I think I'd start with Out of Gas, where Mal reminisces about how he got everyone together.  I love Shindig, too, if only for Kaylee's dress.

Jaynestown is great, but I agree.  I think it's better if you at least kind of know the characters before you see that one.  

War Stories is another favorite.  Zoe is so badass in that one.  

I also really liked The Message, but it is a later episode, and probably works better if you know the characters somewhat.

Of course, you could start with Serenity Part 1 & 2, which were meant to be the original first episodes to introduce the show, although the episode used as a pilot, The Train Job, certainly hooked me.

2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Of course, you could start with Serenity Part 1 & 2, which were meant to be the original first episodes to introduce the show, although the episode used as a pilot, The Train Job, certainly hooked me.

I like how we both reasoned through the accessibility of our favourite episodes and then ended up on the same note of advice!

• Applause 1
  • LOL 1

Personally, Serenity 1 & 2 hooked me the best, but otherwise I'd recommend one of the funnier episodes, like Shindig or Our Mrs. Reynolds. I'd save Out of Gas for part of the standard episode watching order, because I think it's most meaningful after you've gotten to know all the characters. Then seeing their flashbacks to how they came to work with Mal and Zoe is so much more fun, funny, sentimental and moving. If you don't know the characters yet, it's a good episode, but the deeper meaning of everything isn't known as strongly, imo. It goes from good to amazing when you have that personal connection to everyone and what's going on.

Edited by sinkwriter
  • Like 2

Thank you folks.  My friend has seen plenty of Star Trek etc. but somehow didn't catch Firefly.  I love Firefly and own the DVDs, not that it's a major investment 😞  but I wasn't sure where a newbie should start.   

Edited by Driad
  • Love 1

Suppose the rights to Firefly become available.  You pull X million dollars out of your sock drawer and buy them.  All the actors are eager to come back, but of course they are 20 years older now.  In what direction do you take the new show?

• Love 1

I'd mix up the pairings. Put Inara and Wash together for an episode, they didn't have much interaction on the show. Maybe have Simon and Zoe go on an adventure together. I'd love to see a mission/heist that requires the involvement of a Companion but Inara can't risk being seen so Kaylee has to go undercover and pretend.

I would imagine they probably would not still be flying Serenity 20 years later (the ship was visibly falling apart the last time we saw it) so I imagine the first episode or two would be getting the band back together from various planets. Did Simon go back to working at a hospital somewhere? And if so, back in the Core or is he doing frontier medicine somewhere? River after 20 years should be thoroughly badass but maybe she's tending a garden somewhere. Has anyone managed to knock any sense into Jayne in 20 years? He can play a convincing badass in a suit and tie or at least he did on Angel. And how about Inara? Is she still in the Companion ecosystem or is she doing something totally different? I think there are a lot of fun directions to go in.

• Like 2
(edited)

TV’s 15 Best One-Season Sci-Fi Shows (and Where to Stream Them)
BY MATT WEBB MITOVICH, KIMBERLY ROOTS, VLADA GELMAN, NICK CARUSO, HAYDEN MEARS   MARCH 8, 2024
https://tvline.com/lists/best-science-fiction-shows-one-season/ 

The Nathan Fillion-captained Firefly — arguably the “poster child” example — lasted but 14 episodes on Fox, yet it lands high on list after list of “Gone Too Soon” TV shows. What other short-lived sci-fi fare ranks up there alongside Captain Tightpants, in that they made a lasting impression with their fleeting runs?
FIREFLY (Fox)
Joss Whedon’s 2002-03 space western fused multiple genres and tones, adding its own quirky stamp to sci-fi television. With a motley crew of rebels evading a dominating ‘verse-wide government, these “Browncoats” lived far outside the law, hustling odd jobs to keep their boat in the air. Nathan Fillion handled Whedon’s self-aware humor and screwball splashes with panache, as the gang dodged freaky, cannibalistic pirates throughout expansive worlds. Firefly was ambitious, clever and experimental… all of this and more in just 14 episodes. (Streaming on Hulu.)

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 2
(edited)

Former Firefly writers and crew will discuss behind-the-scenes moments at WonderCon on March 29...

https://wondercon2024.sched.com/event/1azdz/buffy-and-firefly-behind-the-scenes 

Buffy and Firefly: Behind the Scenes

Calling all Browncoats and Scoobies! Come celebrate both shows with candid conversations and reminiscing with some of the behind-the-scenes crew that made your favorite episodes happen. Hear from writers to props people about the behind-the-scenes moments from Buffy and Firefly that made them laugh, cry, and connect with the shows that they made.

Friday March 29, 2024 6:30pm - 7:30pm PDT

Also, former Firefly writer Jose Molina will be part of a writers panel at WonderCon on March 30...

https://wondercon2024.sched.com/event/1azfd/inside-the-writers-room-the-channels-they-are-a-changin 

Inside the Writers Room: The Channels They Are a Changin'

Showrunner Mark A. Altman (Deathlands, Pandora, The Librarians) moderates showrunners and writers to share insights into the state of television today and what’s at stake for writers poststrike as the business goes through an epic upheaval. From network to streaming, live action to animation, they’ve got you covered. Featuring Jose Molina (Blood & Treasure, Agent Carter, Firefly), Amy Berg (Warrior Nun, Counterpart), Ashley E. Miller (DOTA: Dragon’s Blood, Fringe, Black Sails), Deric A. Hughes (Quantum Leap, Legacies), Jeff Yorkes (The Muppets Mayhem), Anslem Richardson (The Boys, Timeless), Marc Bernardin (Masters of The Universe: Revelation, Carnival Row), Sarah Watson (The Bold Type, Parenthood), and director David Rogers (Upload, The Office).

Saturday March 30, 2024 10:00am - 11:30am PDT

Edited by tv echo