Type keyword(s) to search

The Facts Of Life - General Discussion

• Start Topic

So, after this special aired, I went back to recording this show, and the second episode where we meet the original Monica Warner? I find the episode…distasteful. From Bradley’s skeevy behavior to Mrs. Garrett, MRS. GARRET! justifying Monica’s planning an affair with a married man-as “flirtatious” not to mention what Monica had to say about it.

As for Nancy McKeon-yes, she finally got the big break with this show, but she’s been acting since she was a kid. She appeared on The Love Boat, and did some voice over work. I remember her work in the Saturday morning cartoon: Miss Switch and The Return of Miss Switch, where the teacher was a Witch! This was back in the olden days!😂😂😂

And it was reported she has young children and no longer lives near L.A., so it’s understandable why she didn’t participate in the special, as we are still in a pandemic.

8 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

And it was reported she has young children and no longer lives near L.A., so it’s understandable why she didn’t participate in the special, as we are still in a pandemic.

I think any reason she had for not being there is her own business, but your statement made me curious.  I was like how young of children could she have?  They're 15 and 17.

1 hour ago, Katy M said:

I think any reason she had for not being there is her own business, but your statement made me curious.  I was like how young of children could she have?  They're 15 and 17.

My mistake--as to the ages, but still, with us still living with a pandemic, understandable if she didn't want to travel; or decide not to participate.

• Love 1
53 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

My mistake--as to the ages, but still, with us still living with a pandemic, understandable if she didn't want to travel; or decide not to participate.

Oh, yeah, I totally agree.  But, since I know she's older than me, I was just wondering how young her kids could have been.  I can't imagine chasing after toddlers in my 50s. 

On 12/8/2021 at 1:06 AM, Maverick said:

What is Nancy's deal?   Would it have killed her to show up and say a couple of words like Kim and Mindy?

Something was missing with Nancy not being there.  I recently came across her on IG and I was happy to see the 4 of them do interact on there.  I was afraid Nancy didn't get along with them but that doesn't appear to be the case.  

I was sad to see that Nancy lost her brother Philip a couple of years ago.  I remember them always being so close 

I love Rewind channel. They actually show most of the original episode, as opposed to Logo, which cuts out two to three scenes!

Anyway, watching the early seasons (1 and 2 right now), aside from Molly, all the other girls that were cut from the first season are HORRIBLE. In the few episodes they show up in, especially in “Gossip”, Sue Ann, Cindy,and Nancy are the cattiest girls to show up. When Tootie spreads the false rumors and gossip about  Mrs. Garrett having a drinking problem, they all just lap it up. Cindy proves just how ungrateful she is, when less than a year ago, it was Mrs. Garrett who was her support and taught Blair a lesson, when Blair insinuated Cindy might be a lesbian. Or how Mrs. Garrett arranged it so Nancy could STAY at Eastlamd.

HELL. She was just the BEST House Mother they had and they couldn’t even show the tiniest bit of support for her.

Now I hate them all and am so glad Sue Ann ended up a gopher.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Kyle said:

Maybe that’s why Jo pretends not to know them in “The Little Chill”.

That episode always bothered me so much.  Was there not one person on the writing staff who remembered the second season?  Not to mention the actors themselves.  The rewriting of them not knowing Jo wasn't even all that relevant to the plot.  Just stupid lazy writing.  

• Love 6
On 12/10/2021 at 5:41 AM, chediavolo said:

I guess no one knows that Mindy Cohn battled breast cancer for years. So there is always that fear it will return. Stress.  I think she looks just fine. 

Miss Cohn has  admitted she kept it secret for a long time . However, she said that  as soon as word got out, Miss Fields flew across the country and was at her DOOR ready to be Florence Nightingale for her! I think knowing that there ARE friends who will truly be there in one's worst times of desperation . .and even hopelessness CAN make a difference in how one can get through those times and even physical setbacks!  In any case, it's great to know that it wasn't just on-camera talk for the sake of the show back in the day, they truly HAVE had each other's backs! 

On 12/24/2021 at 8:04 AM, ifionlyknew said:

That episode always bothered me so much.  Was there not one person on the writing staff who remembered the second season?  Not to mention the actors themselves.  The rewriting of them not knowing Jo wasn't even all that relevant to the plot.  Just stupid lazy writing.  

All they'd have had to have done was have Jo say,

"Since all of you left soon after I got there, I didn't get to know you as well as the others!" 

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 3
45 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

But they didn’t. They never left. 

For all we know, they might have gotten expelled right after Season Three "The Front Page" before the next episode- or even the commercial break!   

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 1

I saw a random video on Youtube critiquing the live action show and it pointed out what had been bothering me about the entrance of Mindy and Kim (because it took me a minute to realize Kim was there). The camera angle is focused on Lisa, Mindy walks through the door on the left and it labels "Mindy Cohn" and the camera stays tight on them with just an extra arm showing, then as the camera pans out, there's Kim, but she gets no name on the screen. So maybe Nancy didn't miss anything after all, she may not have even made it on the screen, lol!

That's true, Jo could have felt left out simply by the fact that she wasn't there for the events that they were all recalling. That's fair enough, she knew them but not well, and she wasn't part of all those misadventures when those girls lived together. So Sue Ann rubbing Jo the wrong way would still have worked.

I found it extra jarring to have the character of Sue Ann back and as hammy, badly acted and obnoxious as ever. The acting of the others (the main actresses) had smoothed out so much since that first season, but she was still shouting her lines and competing to be the best, even though no one else was even in the race.

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, Kyle said:

The actress who played Sue Ann was campaigning to be on “Dancing With the Stars” a few years back. That would have been quite a sight if she took the same approach to dancing as she did to acting.

She was a decent dancer when she was a Mouseketeer. Then again, she was a tween then.

I know DWTS reaches into the Wayback Machine, but an actress that was a sitcom regular for one (abbreviated) season in 1979?  E for effort girl, I guess.

Maybe Kim was a last minute addition and that's why the staging was off.   She didn't seem as engaged as the other two during the Q&A.   I'm glad they're friends and Kim was there for Mindy.  Mindy looked good physically, it was just that her dress and especially hairstyle did her no favors.   If that's the style she likes though, more power to her. 

There's just no way to fanwank the writing in The Little Chill.   If if she hadn't lived with the other girls, she would have been in classes with them, on teams with them, involved in events with them.  All the girls (not just those three) would have been in the cafeteria three times a day and interacted with her.  And if Blair, Natalie and Tootie were that close to the other three they would have continued to interact after moving to the cafeteria and Jo would have been in their orbit to be involved with that.    The whole thing was ridiculous.   

• Love 4

I’m watching the episode “The Front Page” right now. This is the one where Jo inadvertently gets her journalism teacher, Mr Gideon, fired because of her sloppy reporting.

I’m not justifying Jo’s behavior, but Gideon was a real jerk. A good teacher should understand the difference between pushing a student and alienating them. Sorry Mr Gideon - I don’t feel badly for you! Hopefully he rethought he methods before going to another teaching position.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, Kyle said:

I’m watching the episode “The Front Page” right now. This is the one where Jo inadvertently gets her journalism teacher, Mr Gideon, fired because of her sloppy reporting.

I’m not justifying Jo’s behavior, but Gideon was a real jerk. A good teacher should understand the difference between pushing a student and alienating them. Sorry Mr Gideon - I don’t feel badly for you! Hopefully he rethought he methods before going to another teaching position.

Yes, I agree that Mr. Gideon should have at least attempted to explain to Jo why he held her to stricter standards than Blair instead of just dumping on her work but even that didn't justify her poison pen deal.

And let's not overlook the fact  Natalie caved in WAY too easily. A good editor should NEVER let themselves get pressured to do a story against their own better judgement  due to any outside pressures! 

Of course, since he got pressured into resigning 'for the good of the school' since the school didn't want to chance being linked to him(- despite him having been cleared by the authorities of any criminal wrongdoing), he knew that he'd not so easily be able to explain away  why'd he'd parted ways from Eastland to future schools  . Hence, he told Jo he was going to return to journalism.

One thing I liked about the episode was that  it ending with things unable to have been made right despite Jo's sincere regrets. Kids and adult need to understand that not all things can be made right in spite of whatever  one may wish but, more importantly,  even unintended slander   often has lingering aftereffects that go far beyond the initial  intended outcome!

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Kyle said:

And lookee--Cindy and Sue Ann made another appearance. So it isn't just in season two that some of the original cast show up. And another slam against whoever wrote that asinine episode where Jo didn't know any of the girls who showed up.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 4
On 12/27/2021 at 3:03 PM, ljenkins782 said:

I found it extra jarring to have the character of Sue Ann back and as hammy, badly acted and obnoxious as ever. The acting of the others (the main actresses) had smoothed out so much since that first season, but she was still shouting her lines and competing to be the best, even though no one else was even in the race.

A few years ago, I was watching a thing on YouTube about the auditions and behind the scenes of the 80's movie The Outsiders. I was shocked to see "Sue Ann" among the crowed. I bet she was auditioning for the part of Cherry. I can't imagine it.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Snow Apple said:

A few years ago, I was watching a thing on YouTube about the auditions and behind the scenes of the 80's movie The Outsiders. I was shocked to see "Sue Ann" among the crowed. I bet she was auditioning for the part of Cherry. I can't imagine it.

Saw this on Youtube, Julie Piekarski  at Disney World, she looks very much the same and still hammy as can be. 

There's just no way to fanwank the writing in The Little Chill.   If if she hadn't lived with the other girls, she would have been in classes with them, on teams with them, involved in events with them.  All the girls (not just those three) would have been in the cafeteria three times a day and interacted with her.  And if Blair, Natalie and Tootie were that close to the other three they would have continued to interact after moving to the cafeteria and Jo would have been in their orbit to be involved with that.    The whole thing was ridiculous.   

I can see a difference between Blair, Natalie, and Tootie living in that little house/dorm with those girls, vs Jo who'd only see them in class and in the cafeteria. And vice versa with Jo now living in the same room with them, she had a closeness with them later on that Nancy/Sue Ann/Cindy didn't have anymore. 

So when they reminisced about the stuff that went on in that first year when Jo wasn't there, she could feel left out, especially with Sue Ann going out of her way to say "you had to be there" at every turn.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

Holy shit, I have to find this! Can you imagine her delivery of Cherry's famous line? 

[head tilt to the right] I hope I never see Dallas Winston again. [head tilt to the left] If I do I'd... [head tilt to the right] probably fall in love with him. 

Head tilts were very big in late '70s/early '80s among the ingenue set. Erica Gimpel deployed them a lot in the series version of Fame. Even the great Carrie Fisher fell prey to this tendency (watch her audition videos for Star Wars).

4 hours ago, ljenkins782 said:

Saw this on Youtube, Julie Piekarski  at Disney World, she looks very much the same and still hammy as can be. 

Still hammy but DAYUM. She look GUD. She was never a great actress but she has really taken care of herself.

And watching that--damn! I really want to watch all those old NMMC '77 episodes. I just loved them as a kid. They were so much damn fun.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, CeeBeeGee said:

Still hammy but DAYUM. She look GUD. She was never a great actress but she has really taken care of herself.

And watching that--damn! I really want to watch all those old NMMC '77 episodes. I just loved them as a kid. They were so much damn fun.

Here's one featuring Lisa Whelchel 

I guess being a Mouseketeer and FoL cast member is the secret to the fountain of youth, both Julie and Lisa look amazing. Lisa mentions the 70's mousketeers being "the forgotten mice" as everyone remembers the originals and then the 90s version that spawned so many superstars, but no one remembers the 70s version.

Also, when they filmed that Disney World special, they stayed at the park for TWO WEEKS and it was closed to the public. Damn, 2 weeks of Disney World for just them, that's a hell of a gig! 

• Love 3

OK, now that we all agree that via pretending Jo had never known any of the Lost Girls is the equivalent of trying to pretend that the sun set in the east last week instead of the west, how about we discuss how Jo unfairly bullied Natalie to print that poison pen headline in 'The Front Page'?

Now, as I said, that Natalie was wrong to cave into Jo's yelling to print something she herself wasn't unsure of (and, yes, she would have deserved to have lost her editorial post over it). However, Jo DID owe Natalie an apology for pressuring her to use the paper to carry out a vendetta!

19 hours ago, Blergh said:

OK, now that we all agree that via pretending Jo had never known any of the Lost Girls is the equivalent of trying to pretend that the sun set in the east last week instead of the west, how about we discuss how Jo unfairly bullied Natalie to print that poison pen headline in 'The Front Page'?

Now, as I said, that Natalie was wrong to cave into Jo's yelling to print something she herself wasn't unsure of (and, yes, she would have deserved to have lost her editorial post over it). However, Jo DID owe Natalie an apology for pressuring her to use the paper to carry out a vendetta!

The focus of this episode was on Jo and the teacher.

As editor, Natalie didn't have to print the piece. In the end, it was her decision and she chose to print it.

We don't know if Jo apologized or not. This episode wasn't about Jo bullying Natalie--which I don't agree she did. But agree to disagree and all that. I prefer to discuss what did happen as to what shoulda woulda coulda.

And look. Again in the third season, we get Nancy showing up in "Dear Me". A smug Nancy. A Nancy I don't even recognize. And if that fugly dude was Roger? UGH. Can't say much about her taste. And another retcon, because she and Roger were already going steady in season one. And that line about her and Roger coming back from camp the past summer leading to them going steady? Whatever. It's been two years.

And all I could think was that Tootie pulled a Jan Brady sort of in this episode. While there was an actual Teddy, there was never a George Glass.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • LOL 1
22 hours ago, Kyle said:

I’m watching the episode where Tootie went apeshit over Jermaine Jackson, as president of his fan club.

I wonder if there really was a Jermaine Jackson fan club.

A quick search revealed that there evidently IS one in Italy(?!?)at this time but I'm not sure how much of one they had in the US in the 1980's. Somehow, I have the feeling that a large number (if not most) of 1980's US members would not want to admit having been so nowadays! 

However, it's a bit sad that this episode and one in which this African-American teen boy tries to get Tootie to doubt the sincerity of the Other Three's friendship towards her are the ONLY times in which other African-American Eastland students are ever seen (much less Tootie having any interactions with  other African-Americans she's not dating or related to). 

My guess is that Eastland’s student body wasn’t terribly diverse. Tootie did say in that earlier episode that she was getting a “white” education. I did a quick Google search and found a US News story that says that Black students comprised 9% of private school students in 2017. An I’m sure that number was even lower 40 years ago.

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, Kyle said:

My guess is that Eastland’s student body wasn’t terribly diverse. Tootie did say in that earlier episode that she was getting a “white” education. I did a quick Google search and found a US News story that says that Black students comprised 9% of private school students in 2017. An I’m sure that number was even lower 40 years ago.

i didn't even go to a private school and there was only one Black kid in my high school.  There was another one, but she moved away in 7th or 8th grade.

However, I think that if they were going to go the route that Tootie was the only Black kid, or one of two or three, then they should have shown that reality instead of trotting out extra ones when they wanted them for convenience.  Have Tootie trying to get white kids to join her club, or wanting to meet JJ because she has so little interaction with other Blacks.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Katy M said:

i didn't even go to a private school and there was only one Black kid in my high school.  There was another one, but she moved away in 7th or 8th grade.

However, I think that if they were going to go the route that Tootie was the only Black kid, or one of two or three, then they should have shown that reality instead of trotting out extra ones when they wanted them for convenience.  Have Tootie trying to get white kids to join her club, or wanting to meet JJ because she has so little interaction with other Blacks.

Yeah, that's what I'm saying! While it's true that private girls' schools were even less diverse in the late 70's and 80's than today, it's bogus that the OTHER Eastland African-American students were ONLY seen when Tootie had to address how sincere her friendships  were with non African-Americans OR having an Eastland branch of the Jermaine Jackson fan club! Somehow these other students were supposed to have been always  enrolled there- despite never been seen in any classrooms or even eating in the cafeteria!

46 minutes ago, Blergh said:

Yeah, that's what I'm saying! While it's true that private girls' schools were even less diverse in the late 70's and 80's than today, it's bogus that the OTHER Eastland African-American students were ONLY seen when Tootie had to address how sincere her friendships  were with non African-Americans OR having an Eastland branch of the Jermaine Jackson fan club! Somehow these other students were supposed to have been always  enrolled there- despite never been seen in any classrooms or even eating in the cafeteria!

Because this show was about the four core characters: Blair, Jo, Natalie, and Tootie. It was about them and their experiences.

And Jermaine was used because Michael Jackson was the most famous Jackson and wouldn’t or couldn’t appear. In previous episodes, Tootie was all about Michael Jackson. Not Jermaine.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Interesting that Rewind skipped over “The Four Musketeers” where we learn the probation is over, but end up still living together as payment for the paint war. Not available online, either. And I was looking forward to that one.

I love when Natalie said about her new roommate, "She's got her rocks."

That's one of the best episodes about the girls bonding and how they really became a family without even realizing it. A shame the channel skipped it.

Edited by Snow Apple
  • Love 1

At least you get Rewind.  Antenna TV just shuffled their schedule.  Of the few shows I watch they either moved them to a time that doesn't work or removed them all together.  The shows they added aren't interesting so the channel's pretty much worthless.  Not as bad as COZI has become but close.

Logo still shows FOL but chops them up a LOT and they skip a bunch of episodes.  It's one of the Pluto channels occasionally too.    

18 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

I love when Natalie said about her new roommate, "She's got her rocks."

That's one of the best episodes about the girls bonding and how they really became a family without even realizing it. A shame the channel skipped it.

Edna, enthusiastically, “How are you Brenda?”

Brenda, in a monotone, “Adequate.”

• LOL 1

How odd. Just finished watching “The Source” and aside from the unethical actions of Natalie making up a person to write the article on abortion, the final lines spoken by Parker had me raising my eyebrows. Acting as if having an abortion was akin to something criminal, when abortion was legal.

And he didn’t know SQUAT about “his girls.”

Well DAMN. They skipped over ”Kids Can Be Cruel” too!!!🤬🤬🤬🤬

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
21 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Well DAMN. They skipped over ”Kids Can Be Cruel” too!!!🤬🤬🤬🤬

My library has all the seasons so I'm going to start a re watch.  I will pay attention to the episodes that you and other posters have said are being skipped when they are supposed to air.  I wonder if maybe there is music in the episodes that wasn't cleared for additional viewings.  Beverly Hills 90210 has quite a few episodes that don't stream because of music rights.  And it is what has held up Murphy Brown from streaming.

1 minute ago, ifionlyknew said:

My library has all the seasons so I'm going to start a re watch.  I will pay attention to the episodes that you and other posters have said are being skipped when they are supposed to air.  I wonder if maybe there is music in the episodes that wasn't cleared for additional viewings.  Beverly Hills 90210 has quite a few episodes that don't stream because of music rights.  And it is what has held up Murphy Brown from streaming.

Nope. No music has ever aired on any of the episodes that I can recall. Makes no sense.

22 minutes ago, ifionlyknew said:

If Cold Case can finally manage to see the light of day on a streaming platform, anything is possible. Although I suspect the hold up with Murphy Brown is because its subject matter severely dates the show to where there’s not that much interest in it.

I would suggest that stuff gets skipped because there’s some sort of holiday or theme package it's part of. This happened with Friends reruns. TBS will run the episodes in order but the Thanksgiving/Xmas/Valentines episodes get skipped a lot.

6 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

I would suggest that stuff gets skipped because there’s some sort of holiday or theme package it's part of. This happened with Friends reruns. TBS will run the episodes in order but the Thanksgiving/Xmas/Valentines episodes get skipped a lot.

“The Four Musketeers”  and “Kids Can Be Cruel” weren’t holiday or Christmas episodes. They aired all the Christmas episodes the week of Christmas.

I can’t think of a reason why they skipped over these episodes. The latter because it showed how Natalie got revenge at Carl’s expense? Yet they didn’t skip over the other very special episodes or the one about abortion?

50 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

“The Four Musketeers”  and “Kids Can Be Cruel” weren’t holiday or Christmas episodes. They aired all the Christmas episodes the week of Christmas.

Yes, but I also said or theme. If they have some sort of theme package that those episodes are a part of, they might skip them in the regular run.

39 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

Yes, but I also said or theme. If they have some sort of theme package that those episodes are a part of, they might skip them in the regular run.

Considering that they’ve been airing all the other episodes in order, but just skipped these two? They haven’t been aired in blocks of themes, except for the Christmas episodes.

Lawd but Tootie is so annoying. Just watched “Sound of Silence” and I’m still trying to figure out why Tootie didn’t want to go to the doctor. Ohhh, right. She didn’t want to find out that she could possibly lose her hearing and be “handicapped” and just have that happen by not going to the doctor to get treatment. And risk getting hurt worse or killed. Makes total sense.

• Useful 1
40 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Considering that they’ve been airing all the other episodes in order, but just skipped these two? They haven’t been aired in blocks of themes, except for the Christmas episodes.

Lawd but Tootie is so annoying. Just watched “Sound of Silence” and I’m still trying to figure out why Tootie didn’t want to go to the doctor. Ohhh, right. She didn’t want to find out that she could possibly lose her hearing and be “handicapped” and just have that happen by not going to the doctor to get treatment. And risk getting hurt worse or killed. Makes total sense.

I got that Tootie was scared of possibly having a painful procedure but, even factoring that, I thought she was needlessly antagonistic to Natalie who was genuinely concerned and downright rude to Cousin Geri who was only trying to help. At least she apologized to both later on but still, I thought it was a bit much for Tootie to have told Natalie that she'd never forgive her for telling Mrs. G. about her galloping deafness! 

21 hours ago, Paul Q. said:

Abortion may be legal but people are allowed to not like it. Long experiences has taught me that a tone of belligerent self righteousness doesn’t sway anyone on any issue. See also how some objected to the foetuses being carried by the pregnant women killed on 9/11 being acknowledged at the 9/11 Museum alongside their mothers. 

.....huh? What are you even talking about? What does the 9/11 Museum have to do with TFOL?

Better take some Ben-Gay for that reach, dude.

• Love 3

Ooh! I stumbled across a podcast with Mindy and some dude and also with Nancy! I think it was from January 2021. I got sidetracked with work and forgot to post the link here.

What little I saw confirms that they are all still good friends. That makes my heart happy.

Oh this is wonderful!

They even talk about the show.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 2

My DVDs arrived! So I just popped in “Kids Can Be Cruel” since the network skipped over it.

Like with most sets that sells the series bundle, there are no subtitles!

What? Do they think that those that are hearing impaired weren’t/aren’t fans?

Quality is FANTASTIC.