Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E13: I Said I Got It!

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

Next Episode on Below Deck:

Total professional and highly regarded leader Kate walks extremely slowly in front of a frantically complaining Laura who is carrying a large tureen of boiling hot soup. Hilariously this causes the very unpopular stew to spill the hot liquid on the Chef who was doing yoga at the time as he was executing a pose on the galley floor. Unfortunately she turned his downward dog into a downward dirty water dog. Chief Stew Kate immediately marched upstairs to demand that the captain fire Laura for wasting food or she would quit which distracted Captain Lee who inadvertently runs over a sailboat. Also Tyler bangs Rhylee five more times and Ross punches a cop.

Check out the aftershow with Jerry O’Connel and Carrot Top.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, heatherchandler said:

You're not alone!  There are 10s of us, 10s I tell you!!!

Well of course it was passive aggressive. It was also a move perfected by my sister back in the 80s. And also by some road ragey guy in his muscle car (where it actually is dangerous). Was it Kate's finest hour? No of course not. Was it dangerous? Of course not. People do jerky, passive-aggressive things sometimes. 

• Love 9
4 hours ago, NoWhammies said:

Was it Kate's finest hour? No of course not. Was it dangerous? Of course not. 

I disagree.  It was dangerous.

Laura was carrying a heavy box with both arms and could easily have lost her balance.   

• Love 2
On 1/11/2019 at 2:06 PM, yourmomiseasy said:

Firstly, everything that was already said up thread about Ryhlee starting fights as soon as she stepped on the boat.  She's really lucky that people had Chandler to scapegoat her behavior on, because it is being largely overlooked that she immediately had problems with the bulk of the crew.

Secondly, I don't think she is watching and learning.  She was on WWHL a while back and was horrible.

I was just about to post the same thing.  She had certainly had ample opportunity by then to see how she was coming across on the show..  She was ridiculous on WWHL.  She constantly giggled and acted like a little girl who thinks she's adorable.  And she never shut up.  She interrupted, talked over everyone else, and came across as immature and childish.  Captain Lee, who was pretty relaxed and going with the flow of the show, looked as though he was SO over her.  At the end of the 1/2 hour, I was sick of her voice constantly piping up.

She has no self-awareness at all, and clearly no desire to change.  It boggles my mind that she held such a responsible position on a boat in Alaska.

Edited by DebbieM4
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, DebbieM4 said:

I was just about to post the same thing.  She had certainly had ample opportunity by then to see how she was coming across on the show..  She was ridiculous on WWHL.  She constantly giggled and acted like a little girl who thinks she's adorable.  And she never shut up.  She interrupted, talked over everyone else, and came across as immature and childish.  Captain Lee, who was pretty relaxed and going with the flow of the show, looked as though he was SO over her.  At the end of the 1/2 hour, I was sick of her voice constantly piping in.  

She has no self-awareness at all, and clearly no desire to change.  It boggles my mind that she held such a responsible position on a boat in Alaska.

And didn’t she make some remark on Twitter that (paraphrasing)it was her skill that kept her from what happened with Ashton and the line? Right after the episode aired? Classy woman.

• Love 7
On 1/10/2019 at 4:25 PM, Natalie68 said:

She IS a good worker.  A good worker I would fire if she couldn't get her point across without such disrespect and without yelling at people.  One can be taught just about any job but a shitty personality is a shitty personality.  If she isn't getting the opportunities she wants and the men are overlooking her because it is easier then dealing with her,

And there it is. Rhylee does work hard but has absolutely no people skills, no filter and a hair trigger temper. She is scary! I have to wonder how many other people work on her fishing boat in Alaska. Maybe she's a party of one. I don't think Ross is to blame for how he handles her. I think he's a good boatswain and has the respect of the rest of the crew.  I'm sure he just can't figure out her crazy, and just tries to keep her from going totally ballistic (and fails) . She seems to be able to express her frustrations in her THs, but just resorts to screaming and cursing in the moment.The producers must think she's good TV, or her ass would have been long gone. I can't fathom talking to your superiors the way she does and still having a job. Not to mentions her tiny voice "man overboard" when Ashton was in trouble. 

Kate absolutely did the right thing by going to the captain about Laura. Here's the thing about Kate. She may be a bitch but she does her job and does it very well. And I love her comments and rbf. She's the best part of the show to me. Laura came on this show thinking she could take Kate down. Never gonna happen. Her negative comments about the boat from day 1 just show how ignorant and inexperienced she is.

• Love 20
On 1/11/2019 at 9:02 AM, AnnA said:

Thank you!  When I saw that I hoped it was the reason they're looking for a new chief stew.    I'm not a Laura fan but what Kate did was not only unprofessional, it was dangerous.  

It was for about 10 seconds it was in no way dangerous. If Laura can’t handle that amount of weight for a period of time than she isn’t fit to be a Stew.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 23
4 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

It was for about 10 seconds it was in no way dangerous. If Laura can’t handle that amount of weight for a period of time than she isn’t fit to be a Stew.

And if Kate can't exercise her authority like a grown up, she isn't fit to be chief stew. 

I'm glad they're looking to replace her.   I'm tired of her bitch face and her attitude.

• Love 2

The ratings this season have been great, the responses to Kate and Kate/Josiah have also been great. The majority enjoys Kate and she makes for good TV  and good publicity, hence Bravo and co. would want to keep her around. Kate wanting off the show would be the only reason they’d be circulating for a new chief stew, not because Kate walked slowly up the stairs lol. 

Edited by VagueDisclaimer
  • Love 24
11 hours ago, AnnA said:

That's your opinion.

We'll just have to agree to disagree

Well, yes, it's my opinion.  That's why we post here - to share our opinions.   I feel one way and you feel another.  That's fine.

Edited by DebbieM4
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, VagueDisclaimer said:

The ratings this season have been great, the response to Kate and Kate/Josiah have also been great. The majority enjoys Kate and she makes for good TV  and good publicity, hence Bravo and co. would want to keep her around. Kate wanting off the show would be the only reason they’d be circulating for a new chief stew, not because Kate walked slowly up the stairs lol. 

Yes!  Bravo clearly loves Kate, and they have for years.  I didn't like her very much until this season, but I always thought she was entertaining.  (Unlike Hannah, who is a waste of space, IMO.)

If she deliberately put someone in danger - especially after the debacle with Ashton - there would have been immediate repercussions.  She won't be going anywhere unless it's her choice.

• Love 10
22 hours ago, Giselle said:

Nah, even that wouldn't help. 

His features are rather small, a little bit delicate, and weirdly scrunched on the lower half of his face. In his profile picture for Twitter and Instagram, he looks like a combination of Perry Farrell (Jane's Addiction), Johnny Depp, and Jesse Camp (that crackhead looking motherfucker who inexplicably won MTV's VJ competition instead of Dave Holmes).

18 hours ago, biakbiak said:

The single biggest danger to Laura carrying that case of water, regardless of whether Kate walked fast or slow or hadn't even been there, was always going to be the water if it suddenly turned choppy. And who knows, maybe Kate slowing Laura down would make it safer in rough waters. Kate was being an asshole, but Laura is an asshole who's not even that great at her job.

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/this-below-deck-charter-guest-reveals-if-she-heard-kate-and-lauras-fight.html/

Apparently one of the guests did hear Laura's screaming even after Kate insisted that they go below. Laura also forgot to give the guests new towels after cleaning the rooms. The latter is forgivable; the former is not.

• Love 12
15 hours ago, VagueDisclaimer said:

The ratings this season have been great, the responses to Kate and Kate/Josiah have also been great. The majority enjoys Kate and she makes for good TV  and good publicity, hence Bravo and co. would want to keep her around. Kate wanting off the show would be the only reason they’d be circulating for a new chief stew, not because Kate walked slowly up the stairs lol. 

I agree. Kate and Josiah are winners for the boat, and TV. And no way Capt Lee would want her off. I hope she stays. It's a short season and I'm sure she's paid well. Don't leave , Kate!!!

• Love 9
4 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

Kate was being an asshole, but Laura is an asshole who's not even that great at her job.

Agreed!

You're right; Laura is not good at her job.   However, an effective supervisor should not act like an asshole.   They are expected to act like a professional.

Edited by AnnA
  • Love 3
18 minutes ago, bosawks said:

I think in real life they’re expected to act like a professional.

In BRAVO World they are expected to act like an asshole.

And in real life Laura would have been fired for screaming at her boss so she wouldn’t be there to be delayed for 10 seconds by Kate’s slow walking. 

• Love 20
9 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

And in real life Laura would have been fired for screaming at her boss so she wouldn’t be there to be delayed for 10 seconds by Kate’s slow walking. 

And in real life Kate would have been fired for the stunt she pulled on Carolyn with the music blaring so she wouldn't even have met Laura.

Edited by AnnA
  • Love 5
11 minutes ago, AnnA said:

And in real life Kate would have been fired for the stunt she pulled on Carolyn with the music blaring so she wouldn't even have met Laura.

I doubt it given that Carolyn had been asked to leave the boat and was no longer an employee.

Not to mention I imagine it’s Kate’s perched to allow music to be played when they are turning over the boat. Though that was clearly a producer set up because all music has to go through production in order to air, guests have mentioned they weren’t allowed to have music.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 9
5 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I doubt it given that Carolyn had been asked to leave the boat and was no longer an employee.

Perhaps but that blaring music was deafening to the entire crew and another Kate asshole move.

ETA:   Carolyn was an asshole

Laura is an asshole

Kate is an asshole with authority and they're the most dangerous

Edited by AnnA
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, AnnA said:

Perhaps but that blaring music was deafening to the entire crew and an another Kate asshole move.

It was not defeaning and not one member of the crew complained because of the noise. Ross thought it was mean to Carolyn but then didn’t seem to care once he realized she was refusing to work and also not packing. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 6
19 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

It was not defeaning and not one member of the crew complained because of the noise. Ross thought it was mean to Carolyn but then didn’t seem to care once he realized she was refusing to work and also not packing. 

I thought it was.   You could be right about no one complaining but we can't know for sure since the editing monkeys run wild on Bravo.   I tend to think Ross is too cowardly to get into it with bitch face Kate but that's just my opinion. Sometimes I think we're the biggest assholes for watching this crap but I do enjoy snarking on all of them.  😜

Edited by AnnA
  • Love 1

The interesting thing to me about Laura is that she came in that first day and critiqued everything, bottom to top. She could have decided then and there to up the standards on the M/Y Sienna, work hard (y'know, as a "former chief stew"), and really shine in her role.

But instead she chose to do the bare minimum, and told someone (who, when, I've forgotten) "Oh, I thought we were not caring" or some such. 

So she could have risen to the occasion, but she just chose to embrace mediocrity and bitch the whole time.

• Love 11
21 hours ago, DebbieM4 said:

If she deliberately put someone in danger - especially after the debacle with Ashton - there would have been immediate repercussions.  She won't be going anywhere unless it's her choice.

Like how Kate was eviscerated by viewers for coming off as dismissive and victim blamey when those guests started sexually harassing and assaulting Jen. Kate is absolutely not immune to being criticized. Her response was fucked up and viewers said as much. Kate also had to apologize to Jen during the reunion.

https://www.cosmopolitan.com/entertainment/tv/a13130899/bravo-below-deck-sexual-harassment/

4 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Though that was clearly a producer set up because all music has to go through production in order to air, guests have mentioned they weren’t allowed to have music.

I didn't even think about that. You're correct that so much of what is filmed is essentially dead silent with no music, TV, or movies in the background because they don't want to get clearances or pay to license any of it. So the fact that we even heard the music likely meant that the producers were looped in.

1 hour ago, AnnieBananie said:

The interesting thing to me about Laura is that she came in that first day and critiqued everything, bottom to top. She could have decided then and there to up the standards on the M/Y Sienna, work hard (y'know, as a "former chief stew"), and really shine in her role.

But instead she chose to do the bare minimum, and told someone (who, when, I've forgotten) "Oh, I thought we were not caring" or some such. 

So she could have risen to the occasion, but she just chose to embrace mediocrity and bitch the whole time.

Bugsy ran a season long whisper campaign about Hannah being lazy and incompetent. But the thing Bugsy knew to do, with the exception of the iPad, was to make sure her own work was flawless. Bugsy also was clear to demean Hannah every time she was asked to do anything. "Sure, I'd love to help do that. Normally that task would be something a chief stew would do, but I don't know where Hannah is. So even though it's my break, I'll do that task." Bugsy real problem was that she's just an unpleasant person and she overplayed her hand. However, her complaints seemed to have lodged themselves in Sandy's brain and played out in Sandy's constant criticism of Hannah in season 3.

• Love 9
15 hours ago, Lady of nod said:

I agree. Kate and Josiah are winners for the boat, and TV. And no way Capt Lee would want her off. I hope she stays. It's a short season and I'm sure she's paid well. Don't leave , Kate!!!

Nope. Captain let would be a fool to let her go. She makes his job easier by only coming to him with big issues. 

Love her or hate her the thing with Kate is that she is reliable, responsible and can manage the interior of a large boat with very little help, and manage guests. She will do the job even if it's menial and do it well.

I have wondered if she is over Below Deck. She manages a resale shop where it seems she has found something that feeds her soul through helping others. Maybe having met & worked with Josiah she has been refreshed for another season.

• Love 12
10 hours ago, AnnA said:

I think we’ve seen what real life is for Caroline at this point, so I’m thinking no employer would’ve ever kept her on as long as they did until she was refusing to depart the boat after quitting.

I don’t think applying “real world” standards in these scenarios is very productive. 

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, VagueDisclaimer said:

I think we’ve seen what real life is for Caroline at this point, so I’m thinking no employer would’ve ever kept her on as long as they did until she was refusing to depart the boat after quitting.

I don’t think applying “real world” standards in these scenarios is very productive. 

Caroline is a wack-a-loon ding-a-ling in desperate need of an "I love me" jacket. 

• Love 3
9 hours ago, VagueDisclaimer said:

I was responding to @biakbiak 's "in the real world" comment about Caroline.  Exchanging viewpoints is what these forums are all about so it is productive.

9 hours ago, Giselle said:

Caroline is a wack-a-loon ding-a-ling in desperate need of an "I love me" jacket. 

I totally agree with both of you about Caroline.   However, my post was about Kate.    Kate may be good at getting her work done but she sucks as a supervisor.

Edited by AnnA
On 1/13/2019 at 7:39 AM, HunterHunted said:

His features are rather small, a little bit delicate, and weirdly scrunched on the lower half of his face. In his profile picture for Twitter and Instagram, he looks like a combination of Perry Farrell (Jane's Addiction), Johnny Depp, and Jesse Camp (that crackhead looking motherfucker who inexplicably won MTV's VJ competition instead of Dave Holmes).

You made my day... I always thought I was the only one who thought Dave should have won. 

And that description is SPOT on!

• Love 5
On 1/11/2019 at 10:48 AM, ohcomeon said:

Walking quickly up stairs carrying something heavy is much more likely to cause an accident than walking slowly. It wasn't good leadership, but not even my OSHA auditors would dock Kate for that act. More likely to write up Laura for following too closely and not making sure the stairway was clear before starting to ascend. They'd also dock her for the poor way she was carrying the water. And if she felt the inability to perform her task without potential of an accident, she should have requested assistance. 

Love your response. Heehee

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

She was tailKating!

Bahahahaha! You win. 

but I did feel Laura was intentionally following too closely. So she could find yet another way to act like a martyr. "I just need to get by!" Give me a break. 

• Love 9

Kate is an absolutely awesome supervisor.  She has the restraint required when an insubordinate idiot like Laura is yelling in your face to "check yourself" and the aplomb to calmly tell the captain that there is a problem.  She delegates well, dives into the menial work right with her subordinates (even though she really doesn't have to - she could make them do everything and sit and "provision" like Hannah does).  The guests are treated to 5 star everything because of her standards and I literally don't see how anyone could do it better.  Yes, she blared music (after someone quit and completely screwed her over when she had been BEYOND patient and kind to them) and she slowly walked up some stairs.  Big deal.  Kate rules.

• Love 16
47 minutes ago, langford peel said:

This is the nub right here. 

Thank you for stating it so concisely.

Kate has no authority she can’t even fire a disrespectful, insubordinate employee who is shitty at their job. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

Kate has no authority she can’t even fire a disrespectful, insubordinate employee who is shitty at their job. 

Most "supervisors" can't fire subordinates; that is typically reserved for senior managers.    However, they can delegate their tasks and submit performance reviews.   And if you're Kate you bad mouth them to other staff/crew members, mumble under your breath, sigh, assume a superior attitude and wear your best bitch face.   However,  I will concede that Kate showed a surprising amount of restraint with Laura but she failed to make her case with Captain Lee.

Edited by AnnA
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, AnnA said:

Most "supervisors" can't fire subordinates; that is typically reserved for senior managers.   

Chief stews are typically considered senior management on the ship and typically have a great deal of authority over their team in this case Kate has none, Hell Captain Lee doesn’t really have any. 

And having been in HR for a gazillion years  in my experience someone like Laura who was brand new to the position would have been fired.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

Chief stews are typically considered senior management on the ship and typically have a great deal of authority over their team in this case Kate has none, Hell Captain Lee doesn’t really have any. 

And having been in HR for a gazillion years  in my experience someone like Laura who was brand new to the position would have been fired.

I almost agree with you about Laura.  She's definitely not chief stew material and terrible at her job but I'm not sure 2 or 3 days is enough time to evaluate her ability to adapt.  She seemed to do OK with the checklist.  Believing her resume was probably a mistake.  In my experience we had to "document" an employee's poor performance over a period of time in order to make a case for firing them thereby minimizing the possibility of a wrongful termination lawsuit.

I had no idea chief stews would be considered senior management.  I'm especially surprised to learn that Captain Lee doesn't have the ultimate level of authority onboard.   I thought a Captain was God on the high seas. Why do you think Below Deck doesn't conform to industry standards?  Is answer Bravo?  LOL

Edited by AnnA
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, AnnA said:

I almost agree with you about Laura.  She's definitely not chief stew material and terrible at her job but I'm not sure 2 or 3 days is enough time to evaluate her ability to adapt.  She seemed to do OK with the checklist.  Believing her resume was probably a mistake.  In my experience we had to "document" an employee's poor performance over a period of time in order to make a case for firing them thereby minimizing the possibility of a wrongful termination lawsuit.

I had no idea chief stews would be considered senior management.  I'm especially surprised to learn that Captain Lee doesn't have the ultimate level of authority onboard.   I thought a Captain was God on the high seas? Why do you think Below Deck doesn't conform to industry standards.   Is answer Bravo?  LOL

I worked retail management, and we had 90 day probation periods when new employees were hired. During those 90 days we could terminate new employees for any reason, aka "not working out". After that, we needed to document infractions, and counsel the employee (also documented) several times before we could terminate someone, unless it was something big (theft, insubordination, being offensively rude to customers,violence,...)

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, SweetieDarling said:

I worked retail management, and we had 90 day probation periods when new employees were hired. During those 90 days we could terminate new employees for any reason, aka "not working out". After that, we needed to document infractions, and counsel the employee (also documented) several times before we could terminate someone, unless it was something big (theft, insubordination, being offensively rude to customers,violence,...)

You're right!  I'm retired now and totally forgot about the probation period.   

I guess if we scale it back for the short yachting season a probationary period could be a single charter.  It has to be difficult to get a new crew member onboard quickly so that probably contributes to the delay in firing the current crew.

Edited by AnnA
  • Love 3
15 minutes ago, AnnA said:

definitely not chief stew material and terrible at her job but I'm not sure 2 or 3 days is enough time to evaluate her ability to adapt.  She seemed to do OK with the checklist.  Believing her resume was probably a mistake.  In my experience we had to "document" an employee's poor performance over a period of time in order to make a case for firing them thereby minimizing the possibility of a wrongful termination lawsuit.

Nearly any employment attorney would tell you for a position such as third stew that firing as soon as you realize there is a problem is your best option to limit liability. Even in California which tends to be more generous to employees, Employers are encouraged to use a 90 day probabtionary period so you can terminate easily. Laura wasn’t just bad at her job she screamed at her boss and told her she had no right to check her work that would be an immediate “here’s your final check, see you” at most jobs that weren’t at the end of the day a reality show position.

• Love 9
On 1/13/2019 at 4:03 PM, AnnA said:

Perhaps but that blaring music was deafening to the entire crew and another Kate asshole move.

ETA:   Carolyn was an asshole

Laura is an asshole

Kate is an asshole with authority and they're the most dangerous

All Caroline had to do was open her door, and remove the radio.  Of course if she did that, she couldn't play the victim. Lol

• Love 10
On 1/9/2019 at 1:34 PM, langford peel said:

What it means to be professional is that you act like a professional all the time. 

I do see many of your points about Kate and agree with them.  However this crew lives and works together 24/7.  

I am always professional with even the battiest, chattiest, people I work for/above/with (well, perhaps not when I have deadlines and have to deal with our new money-saving IT call center for computer issues).  

I love my husband of over 2 decades but he had 16 days of vacation time he used over Christmas and New Year and I was going out of my mind with him home all the time.

I can't even imagine living with the people I work with for weeks/months at a time.  I would throw myself overboard.  Yes, Kate is a mean girl (but smart and witty and good at her job).  In that kind of work/living situation everyone needs to make an effort not to be confrontational and so hurt and just do their jobs.  Good for Kate/Josiah and the current male deck crew for having a sense of humor so they have some laughs and fun while completing their tasks.

I would imagine the military employs some type of training for these work/living situations.  Some of the crew could use it.

• Love 2
On 1/10/2019 at 2:33 PM, yourmomiseasy said:

As a woman working in a male dominated field I, personally, have not had the same experience, so I don't think it is that way across the board.  I've been in tech for 20 years, half of that in the gaming industry, in positions ranging from a developer to a technology director.

I  wish I had your experience.  At my place of employment, important meetings and some decisions are made by the boys over golf games.  I don't play, and I don't have any interest in learning.

When I spoke to my CFO about it (respectfully, not in a Rhylee way), he actually thought he was being thoughtful when presenting me with golf clubs in a pink golf club bag, and a pink pair of golf glovez.  He is a great manager and person, but I was so steamed for days.  I immediately donated my few pink clothes and have never worn that color again.

• Love 2