Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E13: I Said I Got It!

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

16 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

In this case the guests specifically requested that the crew perform “traditional” Tahitian dance, it wasn’t Kate’s idea she was doing her job and fulfilling the guests request. All the other performances on this show that haven’t specified the crew perform she has hired local performers.

Yes, I realize they asked for it, but it was still wrong to provide that "entertainment."  If they had asked for a blackface performance and done it that would have been wrong too.  I also don't hold Kate solely accountable.  I just think she had the most direct opportunity to come up with an alternative solution that she could have presented to - and had approved by - the Captain.  But it was not right for anyone on the crew to participate in that spectacle.  Some things are more important than your tips.  And frankly, I doubt the guests would have even questioned having local performers, especially if the performers offered the crew a respectful way to participate in their customs.  Also a simple explanation during the introduction of the performers such as "I know you requested we do this dance, but we did not feel that we could do this ____ year old tradition the justice it deserves, so I did far better and hired these amazing local performers, who have practiced this art for their entire lives," could have explained why staff was not meeting the guests requests without placing any judgment on the guests.  

Edited by jkitty
  • Love 10
10 hours ago, yourmomiseasy said:

I don't think Rhylee is being left behind because she is female.  I think it is because she's such a toxic asshole that it's easier to just assign her tasks off by herself than to actually interact with her.  She, however, I'm sure thinks it's because she's female. 

If every deck hand was also female, including the Bosun, she'd still be acting the same way. Then she's blame it on some tired excuse like, "jealousy". 

• Love 17
20 hours ago, lizajane said:

Rhylee (it pains me greatly to type that spelling) has the same annoying voice, and I don't know if it's been mentioned here before, but all I see is former Duchess Sarah (Fergie) Ferguson when I look at her. 

I see a little Fire Marshal Bill when she gets mad and retracts her lips.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, jkitty said:

Sooo about that "performance."  That was so ridiculously offensive.  It was the epitome of cultural appropriation: rich white people taking sacred and time-honored parts of a native (and colonized) culture and using it for their own entertainment, with no appreciation for or understanding of the cultural significance.  See also: white people donning the dress and traditions of other non-white cultures for fun and profit.  It was so gross and uncomfortable to watch.  I am surprised no one has mentioned it here yet, given all the discussion of the Mafia stereotypes.   I hate those bullshit staff antics to begin with.  (I refuse to believe anyone with the money to actually charter a mega yacht wants to have a bargain-basement foam party with the yacht staff.  If a yacht has a party, I am guessing it puts a Kyle Richardson White Party to shame.  It's not Kate with some glass beads and Party City party favors saldy dancing around.)  But this was just next-level awful.  Kate should have booked native performers like she did for the waterfall, and asked the performers if there was a way they could participate respectfully.  

Thank you for putting this to words, because I was cringing at the performance, but I found I couldn’t verbalize exactly why it was so offensive. 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, jkitty said:

Sooo about that "performance."  That was so ridiculously offensive.  It was the epitome of cultural appropriation: rich white people taking sacred and time-honored parts of a native (and colonized) culture and using it for their own entertainment, with no appreciation for or understanding of the cultural significance.  See also: white people donning the dress and traditions of other non-white cultures for fun and profit.  It was so gross and uncomfortable to watch.  I am surprised no one has mentioned it here yet, given all the discussion of the Mafia stereotypes.   I hate those bullshit staff antics to begin with.  (I refuse to believe anyone with the money to actually charter a mega yacht wants to have a bargain-basement foam party with the yacht staff.  If a yacht has a party, I am guessing it puts a Kyle Richardson White Party to shame.  It's not Kate with some glass beads and Party City party favors saldy dancing around.)  But this was just next-level awful.  Kate should have booked native performers like she did for the waterfall, and asked the performers if there was a way they could participate respectfully.  I love Kate - I find her endless entertaining despite her  flaws - but this was a big miss for me.  It was right up there with her dismissal of Jen being groped by guests last season.  

As for the Rhylee/Ross situation, I keep asking myself, "Why not both?"  Ross has exhibited signs of bro-ishness and gender bias.  Rhylee does appear to be getting passed over to learn skills that would bolster her resume. This became even more obvious with the arrival of Tyler.  However, Rhylee's presentation does not do her any favors.  One hand, it is endlessly frustrating that as  women, we are not allowed to be angry, even if that anger is justified.  I have seen in my own work place (a law firm) that men have far more leeway to express anger, act out, and generally be an asshole than women.  On the other hand, I don't think this is the behavior anyone should be aspiring to.  We should be discouraging, disincentivizing and penalizing men who act this way, not pushing for women to behave with the same level of disrespect and aggression in a work environment.  

Everything you wrote is so spot-on. I actually put my head in my hands when they started doing that performance. It was really hard to watch.

I also never understand these guest requests for the crew to hold cheesy parties or perform for them. Most of the time I think it’s producer shenanigans, but I do think some of the guests like having the crew be their dancing monkeys either because it’s (1) Instagramable or (2) It helps solidify their nouveau riche identity by separating themselves from the working people. Whatever the impetus, that skit was horribly degrading to Tahitians and Tahitian culture and you’re right that there were other ways to handle that particular guest request without engaging in cultural appropriation. Now, whether the Bravo producers would be happy with those alternatives, I don’t know. But it would have been the right thing to do.

Edited by MrsWitter
  • Love 6
28 minutes ago, jkitty said:

Sooo about that "performance."  That was so ridiculously offensive.  It was the epitome of cultural appropriation: rich white people taking sacred and time-honored parts of a native (and colonized) culture and using it for their own entertainment, with no appreciation for or understanding of the cultural significance.  See also: white people donning the dress and traditions of other non-white cultures for fun and profit.  It was so gross and uncomfortable to watch.  I am surprised no one has mentioned it here yet, given all the discussion of the Mafia stereotypes.   I hate those bullshit staff antics to begin with.  (I refuse to believe anyone with the money to actually charter a mega yacht wants to have a bargain-basement foam party with the yacht staff.  If a yacht has a party, I am guessing it puts a Kyle Richardson White Party to shame.  It's not Kate with some glass beads and Party City party favors saldy dancing around.)  But this was just next-level awful.  Kate should have booked native performers like she did for the waterfall, and asked the performers if there was a way they could participate respectfully.  I love Kate - I find her endless entertaining despite her  flaws - but this was a big miss for me.  It was right up there with her dismissal of Jen being groped by guests last season.  

As @biakbiak said, the performance was requested by the guests. Additionally, a number of guests have revealed that the requests for the crew to entertain them via song, dance, rap, in costume, goofy diving, and what have you, were actually requested by the producers. @jkitty I get what you're saying about the performance because it was offensive. However, I also know that we'd never see the guests request entertainment at the extreme ends (Black face, mocking disability, the holocaust, or what have you) because all of these dumb requests are either devised by production or vetted by production. I'm fairly certain that production would never allow a request like a Black Face skit to ever be passed along to the crew because it does serious damage to the show.

Unfortunately, many people still have no issue with making light of the traditions of Pacific Islander, Aboriginals, Asians, First Nations/Native Americans. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, jkitty said:

One hand, it is endlessly frustrating that as  women, we are not allowed to be angry, even if that anger is justified.  I have seen in my own work place (a law firm) that men have far more leeway to express anger, act out, and generally be an asshole than women.  On the other hand, I don't think this is the behavior anyone should be aspiring to.  We should be discouraging, disincentivizing and penalizing men who act this way, not pushing for women to behave with the same level of disrespect and aggression in a work environment.  

As a woman working in a male dominated field I, personally, have not had the same experience, so I don't think it is that way across the board.  I've been in tech for 20 years, half of that in the gaming industry, in positions ranging from a developer to a technology director.

• Love 5
30 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

As @biakbiak said, the performance was requested by the guests. Additionally, a number of guests have revealed that the requests for the crew to entertain them via song, dance, rap, in costume, goofy diving, and what have you, were actually requested by the producers. @jkitty I get what you're saying about the performance because it was offensive. However, I also know that we'd never see the guests request entertainment at the extreme ends (Black face, mocking disability, the holocaust, or what have you) because all of these dumb requests are either devised by production or vetted by production. I'm fairly certain that production would never allow a request like a Black Face skit to ever be passed along to the crew because it does serious damage to the show.

Unfortunately, many people still have no issue with making light of the traditions of Pacific Islander, Aboriginals, Asians, First Nations/Native Americans. 

Oh I fully believe that most, if not all, of these "requests" come from production.  My point is your last sentence: it is problematic that people (including production) think that this type of activity is still "ok."  Blackface is obviously a very extreme example that (I am hoping) no one would request.  (Although, the Countess came very close to or did blackface last season, so who knows...).  I was just trying to emphasize the point that this stuff is not entertaining and it is wrong.  It is gross and exploits long, rich histories of people of color for the amusement of others.  It makes me cringe and very uncomfortable.  

25 minutes ago, yourmomiseasy said:

As a woman working in a male dominated field I, personally, have not had the same experience, so I don't think it is that way across the board.  I've been in tech for 20 years, half of that in the gaming industry, in positions ranging from a developer to a technology director.

That's great.  I am glad you have not experienced that.  Maybe your field generally attracts a different personality type than mine.  Maybe everyone is allowed to be an asshole?  I don't know.  I hope it is the former and not the latter.  Your experiences do not negate mine or those of many other women though.  Unfortunately, the boys' club and double standards are a reality for many of us.    

Edited by jkitty
  • Love 9
On 1/9/2019 at 4:44 AM, ghoulina said:

I'm probably an evil person, but I lived for Kate walking all slow while Laura was behind her, carrying something. 

Laura is just so extra. I have zero sympathy for her. She flips out on Kate, with guests nearby, then stomps off like SHE'S the victim. And she has the nerve to posit that maybe KATE could have just done the towels herself. Bahaha, girl. No. That's the entire point of giving you turndown; to free Kate up for other things. The fact that she needs a list to help her complete her chores tells me she was never a chief stew....not one of worth anyway. 

And her behavior with Ashton was ridiculous. He was actually TRYING to stay by her side and not carouse it up, when they first went out. But she decided to brush him off,  based solely on the WORD of the guy she wouldn't hook up with, so Ashton goes and dances elsewhere. And somehow HE'S the bad guy?

That girl just looks for perceived slights everywhere. I can't stand her.

And Adrian is definitely trying to stir things up. He's a stealth bitch. But I did feel for him a bit during that awkward kitchen moment with the charter guest. Yikes. 

Rhylee is another one who always thinks everyone is against her. I,thought it was interesting that Ross was easily able to point out why the jobs she's given are more important. 

Also, she has been incredibly toxic, so I wouldn't blame him for giving her a lot of tasks where she's kind of off by herself. Girl does not play well with others.

Overall, these guests were pretty good. A bit on the boring side, but very polite and appreciative. I thought Ashton put a lot of effort into planning that dance and it paid off. Everyone had a blast. 

Then I am evil as well.  I was laughing!  Laura reminds me of Meghan McCain.

I am tired of seeing Rhylee have sex.  I am sure if she wanted that sort of career she could have it.  I don't want to see anyone have sex on this show.  I also think Adrian is homely so I am not sure why he thinks he is really hot.

• Love 5
18 minutes ago, jkitty said:

Oh I fully believe that most, if not all, of these "requests" come from production.  My point is your last sentence: it is problematic that people (including production) think that this type of activity is still "ok."  Blackface is obviously a very extreme example that (I am hoping) no one would request.  (Although, the Countess came very close to or did blackface last season, so who knows...).  I was just trying to emphasize the point that this stuff is not entertaining and it is wrong.  It is gross and exploits long, rich histories of people of color for the amusement of others.  It makes me cringe and very uncomfortable.  

That's great.  I am glad you have not experienced that.  Maybe your field generally attracts a different personality type than mine.  Maybe everyone is allowed to be an asshole?  I don't know.  I hope it is the former and not the latter.  Your experiences do not negate mine or those of many other women though.  Unfortunately, the boys' club and double standards are a reality for many of us.    

I was not trying to negate your view.  That is why I was very careful to state "in my experience" and that I wasn't saying it didn't happen, just that it was not 100% across the board that way every where.  And I also mentioned that a good deal of my experience is in gaming development because it is notorious for being a boys club. 

Edited by yourmomiseasy
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, jumper sage said:

The problem with Ross is that he doesn't know how to work with a female.  Sure Rhylee is crazy but he does blatantly disregard her.  She is a good worker.

Loved how, in a past episode, they had video of dogs humping intermingle with Rhylee and Tyler.  The butt slapping and noises I could do without.

I just Josiah.

She is a good worker, and I think everyone on the crew acknowledges that, but she is shooting herself in the foot with her inability to communicate her thoughts and her attitude. Like someone upthread posted, she complains about the work assigned to her, but doesn't explain why  and/or express that she wants to learn more, like dropping the anchor or preparing the slide. She just gets annoyed and flips out. Who in their right mind goes ballistic when someone offers to help? imo, she's her own worst enemy.

• Love 14
13 minutes ago, jkitty said:

I completely agree. I had the thought "who would make this request when you can actually get real dancers?" when Lee talked about the "traditional" dance request during the preference sheet meeting. Of course production would. This is a perennial issue. In the Supernatural fandoms, there's been a very long discussion about Dean's "Busty Asian Beauty" fetishism because Asian fetishism is considered a "safe" fetish to openly make jokes about.

The dance was messed up. I don't know if the crew knew how offensive it was. But even if some of them did, I don't think they thought they had options to not perform it. It was a very screwed up situation.

9 minutes ago, SweetieDarling said:

She is a good worker, and I think everyone on the crew acknowledges that, but she is shooting herself in the foot with her inability to communicate her thoughts and her attitude. Like someone upthread posted, she complains about the work assigned to her, but doesn't explain why  and/or express that she wants to learn more, like dropping the anchor or preparing the slide. She just gets annoyed and flips out. Who in their right mind goes ballistic when someone offers to help? imo, she's her own worst enemy.

She's an incredibly poor communicator. Her grievances are meritorious, but she keeps having 10 year old style tantrums so they stop listening to her.

• Love 10
1 minute ago, HunterHunted said:

She's an incredibly poor communicator.

And this is why I can’t get on board with the idea of her being a good worker. She routinely yells and argues during tasks that delay the task, creates unnecessary tension and problems for her coworkers, and accomplishes nothing. 

• Love 14
16 minutes ago, SweetieDarling said:

She IS a good worker.  A good worker I would fire if she couldn't get her point across without such disrespect and without yelling at people.  One can be taught just about any job but a shitty personality is a shitty personality.  If she isn't getting the opportunities she wants and the men are overlooking her because it is easier then dealing with her, she needs to bring it up with her supervisor without yelling.  Ross seems fair and patient.  It also to ME is a problem when an employee, male or female, is making the rounds hooking up with multiple coworkers.  Technically Tyler is her subordinate and that could be problematic.  Just like she is the subordinate to Ross.  Don't do it.  

• Love 12

The way I see it is that both Rhylee and Ross are wrong.  Ross knew that Rhylee was being screwed when Chandler was on the boat and that Chandler was giving Rhylee the shitty jobs or passing her over for things that she would have been good at (fishing trip), in favor of having her shoved off in a corner to do scut work.  He has acknowledged that.  Now, it's completely understandable that Rhylee would be wary that the situation would continue under the new leadership, and Ross should expect that she would need A) to be shown that it isn't the case and B) to give her a bit of time to settle into a new working routine with him as the boss, knowing things are different.  But, I don't know that either of those really happened.  He didn't exactly show her that, he kind of kept up the bro stuff with Ashton and has just folded Tyler into it, and he never really gave things a chance to settle.  He could have pulled her aside and been like, I know how hard things were with Chandler and I don't want it to be that way, I just want you to know, I've seen what you've been doing, and it's not going to be like that now.

And all of that said, Rhylee is also responsible for her part in things.  To her credit, I think she's been quietly doing the grunt work and trying to do it as good as she can, so that Ross will notice that she's been doing a great job and then give her a chance to do the slide or the anchor.  And then when her hard work isn't noticed and he tells her to go back down to the beach club, yet again, she feels overlooked.  It gets compounded when he then asks Tyler if he wants a chance at the job that she has been hoping she'd earned a shot at, and THEN he comes and asks if she needs help.  Which, yeah, from Ross's side, he's literally trying to be helpful.  But, for Rhylee, she's hearing it as "You aren't good enough to do the anchor, you aren't good enough to do the slide and now you aren't even capable of doing THIS right"  So, she ends up lashing out, and Ross doesn't hear/see any of the problem that he has helped to create, he just kind of yells back, continuing the issue.

It would get Rhylee so much farther to just calmly go to Ross and say "I was really hoping to be able to do the slide or the anchor, is there a way I could try one of them soon?"  And then Ross could know that's what she wanted, and also explain that he actually puts her in the beach club because he views those jobs as more important.  But, it's also on Ross to come back and try to figure out why things keep escalating, and while he does come back to smooth stuff over, he hasn't ever tried to get to the root of the issue.

So, both are wrong.  And they're both just arguing past the other one, which means they'll never really get anywhere, which is stupid, because this really is something that could be settled with a fairly short conversation.

• Love 10

Kate had more composure in that moment with Laura in her face then 99 percent of people I know, and 100 percent of Bravolebrities.  Does She always do the completely right thing?  No (case in point - music outside the door).  But man she is an absolute pro.  She went to the captain after new stew got in her face, yelled, told her to “check herself” for no reason other than checking her work (which is literally her job) and still cooly says, “Well, we have an issue.”  

• Love 24

I did find the performance inappropriate. Why do people find having the crew perform dumb little skits for them entertaining? Can’t you find about the same level of performers at your local high school? Granted some high school plays are surprisingly good, but that’s somebody’s idea of a vacation?

Rhylee and Laura both suck. Laura actually makes me miss that crazed Chihuahua, Caroline. Laura is a socially incompetent, entitled drama queen. In her not particularly bright mind, she is always the victim. She blows Ashton off, and suddenly he’s the one whose treated her poorly. She does a piss poor job, apparently intentionally, and then says Kate’s picking on her for pointing out what she should be doing. Laura is one of those girls (I deliberately will not use the word “women”) who wants drama and attention all of the time. In that respect, she’s not much different from Caroline, and I despise them both about equally. They both cause their own problems and then play the victim, and then run around to others to get sympathy. 

Rhylee is just a different version of the same person. She is constantly put upon, and not being used to her potential, at least in her own mind. I am wondering if this is a generational thing. I’m 50, and I’ve known all my life not to mouth off to my boss, let alone scream at them. Why not? Because besides getting fired, they can do things like deliberately slow you down on the stairs or pass over you for interesting work without having to explain or apologize. Of course Ross doesn’t give Rhylee anything interesting to do or special training. Why would he be looking to do any favors for her at this point? Once you scream at your boss, let alone insult him or her, you should expect it to be all downhill from there.

• Love 8
16 minutes ago, smores said:

The way I see it is that both Rhylee and Ross are wrong.  Ross knew that Rhylee was being screwed when Chandler was on the boat and that Chandler was giving Rhylee the shitty jobs or passing her over for things that she would have been good at (fishing trip), in favor of having her shoved off in a corner to do scut work.  He has acknowledged that.  Now, it's completely understandable that Rhylee would be wary that the situation would continue under the new leadership, and Ross should expect that she would need A) to be shown that it isn't the case and B) to give her a bit of time to settle into a new working routine with him as the boss, knowing things are different.  But, I don't know that either of those really happened.  He didn't exactly show her that, he kind of kept up the bro stuff with Ashton and has just folded Tyler into it, and he never really gave things a chance to settle.  He could have pulled her aside and been like, I know how hard things were with Chandler and I don't want it to be that way, I just want you to know, I've seen what you've been doing, and it's not going to be like that now.

And all of that said, Rhylee is also responsible for her part in things.  To her credit, I think she's been quietly doing the grunt work and trying to do it as good as she can, so that Ross will notice that she's been doing a great job and then give her a chance to do the slide or the anchor.  And then when her hard work isn't noticed and he tells her to go back down to the beach club, yet again, she feels overlooked.  It gets compounded when he then asks Tyler if he wants a chance at the job that she has been hoping she'd earned a shot at, and THEN he comes and asks if she needs help.  Which, yeah, from Ross's side, he's literally trying to be helpful.  But, for Rhylee, she's hearing it as "You aren't good enough to do the anchor, you aren't good enough to do the slide and now you aren't even capable of doing THIS right"  So, she ends up lashing out, and Ross doesn't hear/see any of the problem that he has helped to create, he just kind of yells back, continuing the issue.

It would get Rhylee so much farther to just calmly go to Ross and say "I was really hoping to be able to do the slide or the anchor, is there a way I could try one of them soon?"  And then Ross could know that's what she wanted, and also explain that he actually puts her in the beach club because he views those jobs as more important.  But, it's also on Ross to come back and try to figure out why things keep escalating, and while he does come back to smooth stuff over, he hasn't ever tried to get to the root of the issue.

So, both are wrong.  And they're both just arguing past the other one, which means they'll never really get anywhere, which is stupid, because this really is something that could be settled with a fairly short conversation.

I agree with all of your post except the bolded. I think he has tried, but by the time he realizes something else is truly bothering Rhylee, she ha already gone over the edge, and just yells that he is not letting her speak or listening to her. I think he tries but he doesn't have the management(? personnel? people?) skills (experience?) to figure out how to deal with her and she is unable to adjust her communication skills to be more clear about why she's upset. You're absolutely right that they are both wrong, but at least he's trying? I think at the end, he was fed up with trying to figure out which Sybil Rhylee he would encounter, her moods were so inconsistent, because of harboring unexpressed frustrations that she let reach boiling points. jmo.

• Love 8

As a woman I vehemently disagree with the implied notion that Rhylee gets a pass for absurd work behavior just because she has a vagina. Holding her out as an example of a woman mistreated at work simply because she’s a woman makes a mockery of women for whom that’s a legitimate claim. 

Edited by AUJulia
  • Love 12
On 1/9/2019 at 10:44 AM, scrb said:

Only thing I got out of this episode is that Canadians pronounce more words weirdly than just "aboot."

There was "soorree" and one other.

I think Adrian was correct when he pointed out she sounds like a 'valley girl' rather than Canadian. She definitely doesn't sound Canadian, and especially doesn't represent the West Coast (Vancouver). She merely sounds ditless and self-absorbed.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, ghoulina said:

If every deck hand was also female, including the Bosun, she'd still be acting the same way. Then she's blame it on some tired excuse like, "jealousy". 

One thing I have to note about Rhylee - she has an amazing work ethic. If she was given a checklist of duties, she'd be fine. She clearly hates being verbally told what to do, and she also cannot accept any form of critique. Who knows how she would have turned out if the original bosun hadn't been Chandler? He got her defences up and they never returned.

• Love 5
35 minutes ago, SweetieDarling said:

she is unable to adjust her communication skills to be more clear about why she's upset.

I was very frustrated with Rhylee's communication (or lack thereof, especially from a former 'captain'). She had every right to be frustrated with seeing Tyler being given tasks that she has wanted since the first charter BUT no one can read her mind. If she doesn't take initiative and request specific duties, she can't get angry. However, why didn't Ross ask her IF she wanted to help with the slide or anchor as he seemed so comfortable in asking another? 

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Chalby said:

I was very frustrated with Rhylee's communication (or lack thereof, especially from a former 'captain'). She had every right to be frustrated with seeing Tyler being given tasks that she has wanted since the first charter BUT no one can read her mind. If she doesn't take initiative and request specific duties, she can't get angry. However, why didn't Ross ask her IF she wanted to help with the slide or anchor as he seemed so comfortable in asking another? 

Because he can’t figure out what triggers her so he keeps his interactions with her in what he thinks is the safe zone. 

• Love 11
12 minutes ago, langford peel said:

Rhylee’s vagina got quite a workout this week but it can’t do everything!

Why not let her vagina rest a little?

LOL -  the same could be said for Tyler's penis.  It's clearly in the way of anchor attempts and such... heh

• Love 4

Regardless of whether the guests or producers were behind the entertainment, I say meh. The crew let themselves look silly doing what they and the guests clearly knew wasn’t something they actually knew how to do correctly. They weren’t mocking a culture or appropriating it. They were being unpretentious about how it wasn’t their skill or culture. 

• Love 17

I thought Kate’s advice to Rhylee was great, essentially do what you’re told, let them worry about the rest.  And she’s right, Rhylee’s not getting a promotion out of this gig.  And she’s not getting a reference either after the on air sex.  Just do your job and the show will be over soon.

Ross never knows which Rhylee is going to show up so I don’t blame him for having her work alone.

How was Laura unmotivated to do her job when she’s only been there a couple of days?  She’d spent most of that time saying what a better cleaner she was than all of them!

Kate, Josiah, Adrain and Ross all seemed over the bar scene.  It would be nice if they could do some other activity, like hike to a waterfall or something.

• Love 10
On 1/9/2019 at 1:13 PM, biakbiak said:

We haven’t seen her denied any of these things and she hasn’t vocalized any of that. Not to mention this episode when she got pissed off it was in the middle of an incoming storm which is not the time for anyone to be learning anything and is when speed and efficiency are important and why Ross stated he put her in charge of the beach club area  because he couldn’t trust Tyler to know where things go. 

And when you add on the fact that Rhylee doesn’t respect the chain of command and argues/talks back in the middle of tasks she is the one sabotaging herself from getting to do higher level shit that Ross needs to know will be accomplished as he wants them without back talk. 

I agree with all of this.

Rhylee constantly gets in her own way.  Her short fuse has likely held her back in life, and nothing is going to change unless she learns some impulse control.  Her constant whining and penchant for screaming expletives is obnoxious and childish.  I would never have someone like her working for me, especially in an industry where the personal safety of other people is at stake. 

• Love 8
19 hours ago, yourmomiseasy said:

I don't think Rhylee is being left behind because she is female.  I think it is because she's such a toxic asshole that it's easier to just assign her tasks off by herself than to actually interact with her.  She, however, I'm sure thinks it's because she's female. 

Yes.  She is seriously lacking in self-awareness.  I don't think being female is the issue at all.  It's her failure to be a team player, her blatant disrespect for authority, and her hair-trigger temper.  IMO she's a liability.  And yes, a toxic asshole too.  

Edited by DebbieM4
  • Love 10
6 hours ago, Chalby said:

One thing I have to note about Rhylee - she has an amazing work ethic. If she was given a checklist of duties, she'd be fine. She clearly hates being verbally told what to do, and she also cannot accept any form of critique. Who knows how she would have turned out if the original bosun hadn't been Chandler? He got her defences up and they never returned.

I actually think Rhylee would be very open to critique if things hadn't started off the way they did with Chandler.  If someone else had been bosun and had put her on a somewhat equal footing with Ross and Ashton and then if they were doing something and one of the guys noticed her doing whatever task and said "Could I show you a little trick I've found with that? I learned it on this other boat and I've found it makes it way easier to . . ." I think she'd be open to it and would absorb whatever knowledge they gave her.  Or if things were presented in a more uniform, open way, like, ok, this is the way we're going to do stuff now, in a meeting.  The Chandler situation set her up in a bad spot, and then I think there have been a few times that things weren't handled in the best way, like when the Captain and Ross decided no one should be on the platform after Ashton's accident.  Totally a good decision, but, Ross didn't actually tell Rhylee that this was the new policy, he just started yelling at her to get off the platform, and came at her for breaking a rule she didn't even know was a thing.  

I do not think she's coming off well this season and I wouldn't want to work with her at all.  But, I do think she has potential and if she watches the show and was on another boat with the knowledge she gains from seeing herself, she could potentially make a turn around.  

• Love 6
36 minutes ago, smores said:

actually think Rhylee would be very open to critique if things hadn't started off the way they did with Chandler. 

I disagree. Very early on, first episode I believe, before she started having issues with Chandler she yelled at him because she didn’t feel he was explaining something to her satisfaction. Ross, Ashton and Chandler all had their mouths hanging open not getting why she was upset or her tone. 

Chandler was absolutely shitty at his job but Rhylee has had issues with all of them and issues with the chain of command that are all on her.

• Love 7
8 hours ago, AUJulia said:

Regardless of whether the guests or producers were behind the entertainment, I say meh. The crew let themselves look silly doing what they and the guests clearly knew wasn’t something they actually knew how to do correctly. They weren’t mocking a culture or appropriating it. They were being unpretentious about how it wasn’t their skill or culture. 

Yeah, Icant get all worked up over that ‘performance because there is no way it wasn’t producer driven. I think the crew put time and effort into trying to use Polynesian story telling methods to tell the lame story of the guests time aboard. Big deal. It’s no better or worse than tourists getting up and doing the hula at a mass luau. Sometimes a lame attempt at entertainment is just a lame attempt at entertainment, and nothing more. As always, YMMV. 

• Love 15
5 hours ago, smores said:

I do not think she's coming off well this season and I wouldn't want to work with her at all.  But, I do think she has potential and if she watches the show and was on another boat with the knowledge she gains from seeing herself, she could potentially make a turn around.  

First she has to discover that "STFU! I'M TALKING!" isn't the appropriate rejoinder to everything she's asked to do by superiors.  

• Love 14

First she has to discover that "STFU! I'M TALKING!" isn't the appropriate rejoinder to everything she's asked to do by superiors.  

Oh come on, it's Below Deck.  I'm sure it is the only response the producers will allow the crew to use in response to any given situation. 

12 hours ago, scenicbyway said:

And she’s not getting a reference either after the on air sex. 

So........ can she add porn star to her resume?   It might be an option if the  yachty thing doesn't work out. You know, just in case.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, jkitty said:

Yes, I realize they asked for it, but it was still wrong to provide that "entertainment."  If they had asked for a blackface performance and done it that would have been wrong too.  I also don't hold Kate solely accountable.  I just think she had the most direct opportunity to come up with an alternative solution that she could have presented to - and had approved by - the Captain.  But it was not right for anyone on the crew to participate in that spectacle.  Some things are more important than your tips.  And frankly, I doubt the guests would have even questioned having local performers, especially if the performers offered the crew a respectful way to participate in their customs.  Also a simple explanation during the introduction of the performers such as "I know you requested we do this dance, but we did not feel that we could do this ____ year old tradition the justice it deserves, so I did far better and hired these amazing local performers, who have practiced this art for their entire lives," could have explained why staff was not meeting the guests requests without placing any judgment on the guests.  

Not even close to blackface. And I decline to appropriate Tahitian feelings by getting in a dither about touristy silliness. 

• Love 12
2 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

Oh come on, it's Below Deck.  I'm sure it is the only response the producers will allow the crew to use in response to any given situation. 

Judging by her attitude off the show, I think it’s safe to say this is Rhylee’s personality. While i do believe in producer shenanigans, I don’t believe they’re as prevalent as some might think. More often than not, I think just casting people with obvious issues and agendas is all they really need to do.

• Love 7
21 hours ago, jkitty said:

I highly doubt the clients asked for the crew to put on the performance. I think production suggested it as a way to get the guys shirtless again and the guests went along with the suggestion. So if you want to be outraged by the cultural appropriation, be outraged by the producers and start boycotting the show. 

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, AUJulia said:

Not even close to blackface. And I decline to appropriate Tahitian feelings by getting in a dither about touristy silliness. 

...but aren’t you doing just that by dismissing it as “touristy silliness”? You might think that, others feel differently, and unless we are polling the Tahitian, there’s no real way to know how they felt about the show. 

• Love 3
1 minute ago, VagueDisclaimer said:

...but aren’t you doing just that by dismissing it as “touristy silliness”? You might think that, others feel differently, and unless we are polling the Tahitian, there’s no real way to know how they felt about the show. 

I’ve been a tourist. I’ve never been a Tahitian. 

• Love 3
On January 9, 2019 at 1:50 PM, langford peel said:

Yes. Walking slowly up a narrow stair way while your subordinate is carrying a heavy load in bare feet and could easily slip and hurt themselves is in fact the essence of maturity and leadership. I hope they use that clip in future management training seminar.

Thank you!  When I saw that I hoped it was the reason they're looking for a new chief stew.    I'm not a Laura fan but what Kate did was not only unprofessional, it was dangerous.  

• Love 1
On January 9, 2019 at 7:06 PM, AUJulia said:

Passive aggressive, effective and hilarious. 

Passive aggressive - check

effective - debatable

hilarious - no way.  There's nothing the least bit funny about being a spiteful mean girl

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, AnnA said:

hilarious - no way.  There's nothing the least bit funny about being a spiteful mean girl

being a MG? - No, not for most people. But some obviously enjoy it and find their own antics hilarious, as seen in the afterwards "debriefings", when they relive their "fun times."

Watching a MG? - $129,000,000 spent at the box office on the movie "Mean Girls" (not counting world-wide BO, or Broadway) indicates that many people disagree with you.   Unless..... maybe they thought it was a documentary?

Also there are lab studies where people who are not normally mean can with incentive, implied consent, and anonymity quickly become "Mean Girls."

Edited by Skycatcher
  • Love 3
5 minutes ago, Skycatcher said:

being a MG? - NO

Watching a MG? - $129,000,000 spent at the box office on the movie "Mean Girls" (not counting world-wide BO, or Broadway) indicates that many people disagree with you.   Unless..... maybe they thought it was a documentary?

Obviously some people missed it but the point of "Mean Girls"  was to mock and not praise them.   

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, luvthepros said:
20 hours ago, Natalie68 said:

I also think Adrian is homely so I am not sure why he thinks he is really hot.

I think a good haircut would do wonders for Adrian’s appearance. 

I 100% agree a haircut would help.  Some men have gorgeous long locks (Tyler did before he cut it) and he is not one (disclosure-I do not have gorgeous long locks).  His creepy sexual comments also make him less attractive to me.  No I do not want a breast rub coworker.  

• Love 4
On 1/9/2019 at 12:50 PM, langford peel said:

Yes. Walking slowly up a narrow stair way while your subordinate is carrying a heavy load in bare feet and could easily slip and hurt themselves is in fact the essence of maturity and leadership. I hope they use that clip in future management training seminar.

I noticed at one point when Ashton was drunkenly staring at Laura and not comprehending her bullshit that he looked exactly like Harry Hamlin. I bet Rinna gets that dead eyed stare ten times a day.

Walking quickly up stairs carrying something heavy is much more likely to cause an accident than walking slowly. It wasn't good leadership, but not even my OSHA auditors would dock Kate for that act. More likely to write up Laura for following too closely and not making sure the stairway was clear before starting to ascend. They'd also dock her for the poor way she was carrying the water. And if she felt the inability to perform her task without potential of an accident, she should have requested assistance. 

• Love 22
13 hours ago, smores said:

I actually think Rhylee would be very open to critique if things hadn't started off the way they did with Chandler.  If someone else had been bosun and had put her on a somewhat equal footing with Ross and Ashton and then if they were doing something and one of the guys noticed her doing whatever task and said "Could I show you a little trick I've found with that? I learned it on this other boat and I've found it makes it way easier to . . ." I think she'd be open to it and would absorb whatever knowledge they gave her.  Or if things were presented in a more uniform, open way, like, ok, this is the way we're going to do stuff now, in a meeting.  The Chandler situation set her up in a bad spot, and then I think there have been a few times that things weren't handled in the best way, like when the Captain and Ross decided no one should be on the platform after Ashton's accident.  Totally a good decision, but, Ross didn't actually tell Rhylee that this was the new policy, he just started yelling at her to get off the platform, and came at her for breaking a rule she didn't even know was a thing.  

Firstly, everything that was already said up thread about Ryhlee starting fights as soon as she stepped on the boat.  She's really lucky that people had Chandler to scapegoat her behavior on, because it is being largely overlooked that she immediately had problems with the bulk of the crew.

Secondly, I don't think she is watching and learning.  She was on WWHL a while back and was horrible.

• Love 8
13 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I disagree. Very early on, first episode I believe, before she started having issues with Chandler she yelled at him because she didn’t feel he was explaining something to her satisfaction. Ross, Ashton and Chandler all had their mouths hanging open not getting why she was upset or her tone. 

Chandler was absolutely shitty at his job but Rhylee has had issues with all of them and issues with the chain of command that are all on her.

I agree with this. Rhylee had issues from jump. I thought Chandler was a deplorable Bosun, but he wasn't always wrong. Rhylee is the type of person you just can't win with. 

• Love 5