Type keyword(s) to search

Chopped 2019: Put Down the Chopsticks

Maverick
  • Start Topic

On 7/26/2019 at 1:10 PM, libgirl2 said:

Yes, I saw him yet again eating ice cream with them! Stop it! 

I don't know if we are referring to the same episode, but last night I saw one where he ate ice cream and rice pudding with chopsticks.

I think he's straight up trolling us now.

• LOL 4
5 minutes ago, xaxat said:

I don't know if we are referring to the same episode, but last night I saw one where he ate ice cream and rice pudding with chopsticks.

I think he's straight up trolling us now.

Rice pudding too? How in the heck does he actually get a full mouth taste of the food. What is next, broth? though I think I remember him sticking chopstick into a soup once. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, libgirl2 said:

Rice pudding too? How in the heck does he actually get a full mouth taste of the food. What is next, broth? though I think I remember him sticking chopstick into a soup once. 

I was actually surprised didn't use them on the taco too!

• LOL 2
On 3/2/2019 at 7:57 PM, susannot said:

The chefs competing on the Alton Brown challenge were the best I have ever seen on Chopped.

Except that pretentious asshole with the red beard in the finale. I couldn’t stand him. I just caught the reruns tonight, and I was rooting for Chris Holland to win. So glad he did. 

• Love 1
16 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

Except that pretentious asshole with the red beard in the finale. I couldn’t stand him. I just caught the reruns tonight, and I was rooting for Chris Holland to win. So glad he did. 

So was I. I rewatch it when its on just to see that guy cook. And win. 

So tonight was a Brady Bunch themed episode, with the actors who played Marsha, Peter and Cindy as judges. Now y'all, TBB original episodes only ran until 1974. I'm 57 and I remember watching the original eps until I was 12, and then endless reruns in syndication (not a lot of choice back then!). I'm not sure how the fairly young contestants (home cooks for this one, not chefs) were not only totes familiar with TBB but also immediately recognized its aged stars upon entering the kitchen. Apologies to Susan Olsen (Cindy Brady), I try not to be too shallow, but she looks rough.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
47 minutes ago, Ashforth said:

I'm not sure how the fairly young contestants (home cooks for this one, not chefs) were not only totes familiar with TBB but also immediately recognized its aged stars upon entering the kitchen. Apologies to Susan Olsen (Cindy Brady), I try not to be too shallow, but she looks rough.

I had the same thoughts.  I wondered why Susan Olsen didn't at least get her hair done before the show.  

I never watched the Brady Bunch so I wasn't familiar with any of the actors but they seemed like a nice group of people.  Either they all watch Chopped or they were coached because they all were using the same language as the regular judges during their critiques.  

The woman who went out after the entree round was impressed with herself so I was happy to see her go.  I liked both of the cooks in the dessert round but I thought the young man was best overall and deserved his win.

I'm wondering what's behind this sudden resurgence of the Bradys - they have a special coming up on HGTV where the six kids work with designers to help re-vamp the original Brady house to its Brady glory. 

Note: I looked on the episode guide and it looks like next week's episode is also a BB-inspired show, with the other three siblings as judges - Greg, Jan, Bobby.

Edited by LexieLily

McCormick was the cast member with a drug problem, so not sure why Olsen looked so rough.

They don’t get residuals from the show, but each one has managed to make enough money that they don’t have to work. Eve Plumb sold her Malibu home for $3.9 million after buying it for $55,000 when she was 11 years old.

Maybe HGTV and Food Network are connected somehow? 

Food Network and HGTV are both owned by Scripps Network.  They've crossed talent before.  For example, most of the designers on Restaurant Impossible were on design shows on HGTV (back when they actually did design shows).  

The Brady Bunch is one of those shows that has never been off the air, like I Love Lucy so I can see a lot of people being familiar with it, if not a fan. 

• Useful 1
7 hours ago, LexieLily said:

I'm wondering what's behind this sudden resurgence of the Bradys - they have a special coming up on HGTV where the six kids work with designers to help re-vamp the original Brady house to its Brady glory. 

Note: I looked on the episode guide and it looks like next week's episode is also a BB-inspired show, with the other three siblings as judges - Greg, Jan, Bobby.

This is definitely promotion for the HGTV special. It should have had a little "Advertisement" disclaimer at the bottom of the screen, LOL.

But yeah, good for the remaining core cast to be able to squeeze the orange again. Many millions have been made from their work that they never saw a dime of.

RIP Florence Henderson (my dad always had a crush on you), Robert Reed, and Ann B. Davis. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
43 minutes ago, Ashforth said:

This is definitely promotion for the HGTV special. It should have had a little "Advertisement" disclaimer at the bottom of the screen, LOL.

But yeah, good for the remaining core cast to be able to squeeze the orange again. Many millions have been made from their work that they never saw a dime of.

RIP Florence Henderson (my dad always had a crush on you), Robert Reed, and Ann B. Davis. 

This might be better served in the Brady forum but why didn't the kids ever get residuals or see any of the Brady money? With the way Robert Reed admittedly loved those kids you'd think he would have made sure they were all taken care of. Surely all six sets of parents couldn't have been greedy to siphon away their child's income.

11 hours ago, LexieLily said:

Maureen McCormick was also on another Food Network Show recently, that cupcake championship one (can't remember the exact name of it).  To me, her movements seem very exaggerated -- on the cupcake show, she held up her fork and knife in a strange way, and never put either down.  Perhaps her former life is catching up with her?  

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/3201456/Brady-Bunch-star-Maureen-McCormick-traded-sex-for-drugs.html

17 minutes ago, Rammchick said:

Maureen McCormick was also on another Food Network Show recently, that cupcake championship one (can't remember the exact name of it).  To me, her movements seem very exaggerated -- on the cupcake show, she held up her fork and knife in a strange way, and never put either down.  Perhaps her former life is catching up with her?  

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/3201456/Brady-Bunch-star-Maureen-McCormick-traded-sex-for-drugs.html

Yeah, I saw a glimpse of her on that and wondered why she was there.

ITA with everyone who thinks Susan Olsen looked bad. Maureen McCormick and Christopher Knight looked more or less like Marcia and Peter decades later. Olsen looked like she'd been sleeping under a bus stop.

Hats off to Food Network and HGTV for getting all six Brady kids involved in the same project at the same time. Historically, each of the Brady spinoffs has been missing at least one of the actresses: Jan (recast) for The Brady Bunch Hour in the mid-70s, Cindy (whose character was away at college) for The Brady Brides in 1981, Cindy again (recast)  for A Very Brady Christmas in 1988, and Marcia (recast) for The Bradys in 1990.

Edited by Sir RaiderDuck OMS
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, mlp said:

I had the same thoughts.  I wondered why Susan Olsen didn't at least get her hair done before the show.  

I never watched the Brady Bunch so I wasn't familiar with any of the actors but they seemed like a nice group of people.  Either they all watch Chopped or they were coached because they all were using the same language as the regular judges during their critiques.  

The woman who went out after the entree round was impressed with herself so I was happy to see her go.  I liked both of the cooks in the dessert round but I thought the young man was best overall and deserved his win.

I think they were given a script.  There was one moment where Ted and the judges were "chit-chatting" as the contestants were cooking and they did the whole explanation of the ingredient for the home audience spiel.  It was either Peter or Maureen who answered just the way you would expect Alex or Amanda to respond.  

• Useful 2

I really enjoyed part 2 of the Brady Bunch shows.  I liked all the judges AND all the contestants.  That rarely happens.  I loved Sang and was delighted that he won.  

1 hour ago, mlp said:

I really enjoyed part 2 of the Brady Bunch shows.  I liked all the judges AND all the contestants.  That rarely happens.  I loved Sang and was delighted that he won.  

I recorded it - first time in ages I recorded Chopped! - and haven't watched it yet. How did the rest of the Brady's do as judges?

20 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

How did the rest of the Brady's do as judges?

Better than the first group IMO.  They were all good-humored and very likable.  Everyone, Ted included, seemed to be enjoying the competition.

• Love 2

There seems to be two groups of Brady kids: the ones that appreciate their private lives and don't do much if any acting or appearances (Susan, Eve, Mike - I think this Chopped special and the upcoming HGTV thing are the first TV appearances I've seen Eve or Mike do in years, other than the various Brady TV-movies), and the ones that enjoy being on TV and doing the reality TV circuit (Maureen, Chris, Barry). I find it interesting and I just noticed when I wrote it out that it is the older kids in one group and the youngest in the other.

• Useful 3
8 hours ago, LexieLily said:

There seems to be two groups of Brady kids: the ones that appreciate their private lives and don't do much if any acting or appearances (Susan, Eve, Mike - I think this Chopped special and the upcoming HGTV thing are the first TV appearances I've seen Eve or Mike do in years, other than the various Brady TV-movies), and the ones that enjoy being on TV and doing the reality TV circuit (Maureen, Chris, Barry). I find it interesting and I just noticed when I wrote it out that it is the older kids in one group and the youngest in the other.

Eve was on an episode of The Kitchen a couple of weeks ago, assisting Katie (If I remember correctly) in preparing some food

• Love 1

I wasn't a fan of this episode. Amateur judges and amateur cooks? No thanks. It felt like the substantive criticism from the judges was scripted.

I did like how they used the Brady Bunch font for the on screen names.

• Love 1
On 9/3/2019 at 10:06 PM, LexieLily said:

Eve was also on an episode of the HBO show Crashing this past year.  Based on her IMDB profile, she's been in a number of other shows and movies over the years.

Ted Allen Hosts Five-Episode CHOPPED: SWEETS SHOWDOWN Premiering Tuesday, October 1st at 9PM ET/PT

In each episode four chefs have a sweet-themed ingredient in their mystery baskets that they must use through three rounds to create different dessert iterations.  There is a rotating panel of Chopped and special guest judges, including Florian Bellanger, Valerie Bertinelli, Maneet Chauhan, Scott Conant, Amanda Freitag, Alex Guarnaschelli, Marc Murphy, Chris Santos, Martha Stewart, Sylvia Weinstock and Zac Young.

All four competitors have their own ice cream machine to work with during each round.

It will be worth watching episode 1 just to see how the show installs 4 ice cream machines in the Chopped kitchen.

I had hoped to not see Martha Stewart and her chopsticks judging this show again.  Oh well....

• Love 2
On 9/12/2019 at 10:28 AM, xaxat said:

Chef Greg turns the corner and walks down the hall for his introduction.

Me: Is that Seth Rogen?

As soon as he said “unctuosity” I thought “oh, god, he has to be from Portland.” I laughed a little too hard when he confirmed it.  Both Portland chefs were SO Portland.

I’m always hopeful when Portland chefs compete because I can actually go and taste the food, but I don’t see much in either menu to tempt me. I am sad.

I used to believe there is no such thing as too much cheese until I saw these entrees. I also never want to hear “ooey gooey” again.

Geoffrey used his chopsticks on ice cream.

Edited by sharifa70
  • Love 2
14 minutes ago, Maverick said:

Why are they showing Halloween episodes already?  This isn't like the baking show where it's a weekly elimination. 

I was surprised too. While I enjoy them, it was way too soon! At least wait until October! 

• Love 4

I enjoyed the first round of the sweets tournament.  I liked all the chefs and they were eliminated in the right order IMO.  Making fancy things out of chocolate is so far from anything I know how to do that I find it quite interesting.  

While watching the quick shots of all the competitors, I caught a glimpse of Jewel who was so unpleasant on Halloween Wars a few years ago.  FN brought her back once for a second season of HW and she went out early.  I can't think why anyone at FN thought people would want to see her again.  I hope she gets chopped after the first round of whatever episode she's in.  

I wonder how hot the studio was for the sweets episode. It must have been a real challenge to work with chocolate and ice cream.

So glad that Amanda was a judge. That woman clearly loves her desserts.

I caught up on a couple of older episodes before this. Including one with really unusual ingredients. "The taste of your fried uterus smacked us in the face." is a phrase I never would have imagined hearing on TV.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
48 minutes ago, rustyspigot said:

The lady with the giant old timey hair that looks like Typhoid Mary is on another episode. How she doesn't get hair in what she cooks is beyond me.

My hair is so thin and fine that it's been the bane of my existence all my life so I can't even imagine having that much hair.  I couldn't stop watching her.  🙂  I can, however, imagine coming up with a neat and tidy way to pull it all back in a kitchen.  I did like her and the other gal too so I would have been happy with either of them winning.  

I was glad to see Jewel go out after the first round.  She was congenial enough on Chopped but I haven't forgotten how nasty she was on Halloween Wars.

• Love 1

I'm not a member of the Hairnet Police, but. . . 

I watched an episode of Iron Chef a couple of days ago. On a Japanese show, with Japanese judges, they used western utensils when eating western cuisine.

Take note Jeffery.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
On 10/8/2019 at 11:11 PM, rustyspigot said:

The lady with the giant old timey hair that looks like Typhoid Mary is on another episode. How she doesn't get hair in what she cooks is beyond me.

I thought the same thing. 

I never got around to watching the last few episodes, I've been letting them record, & then deciding I didn't feel like watching & deleting them. I think I may be at the end of the road with this series.