Type keyword(s) to search

Chopped 2019: Put Down the Chopsticks

Maverick
  • Start Topic

6 minutes ago, Maverick said:

Are bubble blossoms a real thing?   Google tells me they are cartoon characters.     

Since they were on the shw, I think they have to be a real thing, but I can't find anything on them either. Maybe they're actually called something else.

I am so sick of friggin' Maneet. She never likes anything, all she does is tell them what's wrong & it's really getting on my nerves. It's like having the voice of doom on the show.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Hooray!  Chopped 2019!  I continue to love this show, after watching for 10 years. 

Happy that Tara won in the rocky mt oysters episode. They were all great chefs and enjoyable to watch!  

• Love 1

I had to laugh when I read the title for 2019 because that is what I came to ask about...chopsticks! I do not watch Chopped regularly so even tho' I knew Martha was on the show as a regular panelist, I still do not understand the reasoning of her using chopsticks to taste things(and why has Geoffrey copied her?) Has she ever stated why she does this?

• Love 1

I still do not understand the reasoning of her using chopsticks to taste things(and why has Geoffrey copied her?)

That's one of life's little mysteries.  It's sooooooo pretentious and looks ridiculous in the Chopped setting.  I'll bet the regular judges laugh about it and mock her among themselves.  Except Geoffrey of course.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

Geoffrey fell a long way in my eyes when he took up the chopsticks routine. I really wish Scott would smack him for it. I can’t stand Maneet either, she’s always been one of my least favorite judges. She’s not as obnoxious on Guy’s Grocery Games, and it makes me wonder if they WANT them to be pretentious assholes on this show?

• Love 1
On 1/4/2019 at 2:17 AM, suebee12 said:

I still do not understand the reasoning of [Martha] using chopsticks to taste things ...

Ever since Martha became a recurring judge on the show, I stopped watching consistently but I recall she mentioned she is now cooking Japanese cuisine so I assume that is why Martha now uses chopsticks.  Chopsticks and soup spoons are the utensils for Asian cuisines so the food is prepared in bite-sized pieces or easily separated into bite-sized pieces and individuals use bowls for holding their portions.  Knives, forks, and flat plates are the utensils for European cuisines, which is the predominant cuisine on Chopped, so the large pieces of meat and vegetables are cut by the individual.  Using chopsticks to manipulate large pieces of meat dripping with sauce from a flat plate is a disaster waiting to happen.  Whatever image Martha hoped to project with the chopsticks, she missed the mark and only ended up looking like an idiot.  I hope Martha leaves the Chopped judging panel.

• Love 6

Last night's show was a disaster. The first lady chopped was the best of the bunch. The remaining chefs all put up hot messes. How many times were chefs chopped for killing a steak? The winner completely overcooked his and was called out for it. Nothing but a huge joke!!!!!!

• Love 3

Last night's show was a disaster. The first lady chopped was the best of the bunch.

I agree.  I thought hammering those filets was a lot worse than leaving something off the plate.  The judges usually jump all over chefs who don't cook their protein properly.  I liked the first woman best too.

• Love 1
On 1/2/2019 at 8:51 PM, awaken said:

Hooray!  Chopped 2019!  I continue to love this show, after watching for 10 years. 

Happy that Tara won in the rocky mt oysters episode. They were all great chefs and enjoyable to watch!  

That was the funniest show!  They were all rather grossed out, lol.

• Love 1

As surprised as I was by all three entree-round contestants overcooking the marlin (I don't even eat marlin, let alone cook it, and I knew they all had plans that would annihilate that fish), I was even more surprised the two surviving contestants came up with such great desserts with those ingredients.  I really want to eat that ice cream!

Also, I laughed out loud at Geoffrey describing sea beans as having a "pop of salt" - to me, they taste like little more than salt itself.

Edited by Bastet

That was a good episode and the guy I was hoping would win did.  I can't even imagine how you could make sea urchin work in ice cream but all three judges seemed to be blown away by the results.  

I've never had sea beans but I've gathered from TV, mostly Chopped, that they are VERY salty so I was surprised by Geoffrey's comment too.

Striped marlin....another gorgeous, long-lived and unsustainable fish that Chopped really should not be featuring or promoting.  Sigh.  Surprised Scott didn't have a rant about all the chefs disrespecting it by killing it for the second time.  What a waste.

Also, Geoffrey, sea beans are not seaweed. 

Finally, water caltrops isn't toxic per se, but the plant is very good at bioaccumulating heavy metals which show up in the seeds.  Boiling removes them, apparently.

Edited by Rammchick
9 hours ago, Rammchick said:

Striped marlin....another gorgeous, long-lived and unsustainable fish that Chopped really should not be featuring or promoting.  Sigh.  Surprised Scott didn't have a rant about all the chefs disrespecting it by killing it for the second time.  What a waste.

I don't think I've ever seen for sale on a menu or in a market. I certainly hope FN makes an effort to responsibly source their food but I don't know that I've ever heard them say so.

Here's what the Monterey Bay Aquarium's Seafood Watch has to say about marlin:

"Look for other "Best Choice" seafood options first. If none are available, blue and black marlin caught by Hawaiian fleets (including vessels landing in California) are "Good Alternatives," but know that there are environmental issues with these sources. Striped marlin caught by Hawaiian fleets in the Eastern Pacific is also a "Good Alternative," but it’s on the "Avoid" list when it’s caught in the Western and Central Pacific because it's depleted and undergoing overfishing in this region. Say "No, thanks" to imported marlin. "

• Love 3

This has been the second episode in the past month that I felt none of the chefs deserved to win. All of them ruined an expensive protein. The last two made a manageable desert but other than that their dishes sucked. It seems that their sauces saved them. I don't want to see them cook some ingredient that I would not find in my grocery. Give them more everyday items and have them elevate it. Give me something I might try to make. In the past I have picked up tips on how to cook a vegetable in a new way. My husband appreciates that.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, nitrofishblue said:

This has been the second episode in the past month that I felt none of the chefs deserved to win. All of them ruined an expensive protein. The last two made a manageable desert but other than that their dishes sucked. It seems that their sauces saved them. I don't want to see them cook some ingredient that I would not find in my grocery. Give them more everyday items and have them elevate it. Give me something I might try to make. In the past I have picked up tips on how to cook a vegetable in a new way. My husband appreciates that.

OH my gosh, my thoughts exactly.   I felt that none of them did a great job and at the end when the guy was congratulated on being the Chopped Champion I was thinking, "Dude!  You BARELY squeaked by!"  I also wondered if the judges were thinking the same thing.  

• Love 1
On 1/6/2019 at 12:38 AM, cooksdelight said:

Geoffrey fell a long way in my eyes when he took up the chopsticks routine. I really wish Scott would smack him for it. I can’t stand Maneet either, she’s always been one of my least favorite judges. She’s not as obnoxious on Guy’s Grocery Games, and it makes me wonder if they WANT them to be pretentious assholes on this show?

Really.... ditto. Hello, chopsticks for ice cream? GZ is just being a pretentious ahole. 

I actually like Maneet, but Amanda is my favorite female judge. 

• Love 4
On 1/29/2019 at 12:42 PM, Colleenna said:

GZ is just being a pretentious ahole. 

Totally agree. Especially since it's a recent affectation.

I was surprised that they didn't get more drama out of the broken mixing bowl. I assume they had him clean off the entire surface, which would have cost him a lot of time, but we didn't see it. 

Edited by xaxat
On 1/24/2019 at 2:18 PM, JunebugWA said:

I loved the young kids show and Alfie. Just want to put him in my pocket and take him home with me. He is so adorable!! 

Alfie was adorable and his sister was so nice and supportive. I'm so glad that team won.

• Love 3

Jeffery tried to eat a panna cotta with chopsticks. Stop it people!

They actually did a good job teasing out the suspense that a contestant who left out two ingredients could win. Although I would have been really mad if he had.

Much better for my blood pressure than the State of the Union.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 1

I'm really sick of all the focus on Martha Stewart.  She is not the star of the show - even if she really does bring stuff for the baskets.  Gah.  The chopsticks and pretentious comments are bad enough but they quite obviously assign some poor contestant to fawn over her.  I have watched Chopped for years and I'm finding that I'm paying a lot less attention to the show since Martha came on the scene.  As I've said before, I wouldn't mind her if they'd treat her like all the other judges but everyone acting like she's the Queen of Sheba has become very old.

• Love 5

I LOL at Geoffrey Zakarian (I think it was) using chopsticks when Martha Stewart was using a spoon.

1 hour ago, mlp said:

I'm really sick of all the focus on Martha Stewart.  She is not the star of the show - even if she really does bring stuff for the baskets.  Gah.  The chopsticks and pretentious comments are bad enough but they quite obviously assign some poor contestant to fawn over her. 

I like Martha Stewart - or at least, decidedly do not dislike her - and have not a single shit to give about the chopsticks, but the slobbering drives me batty as well.  This may not be Top Chef, but it's hardly public access, either.  There have been plenty of judges, among the regulars or the special guests, who equal or surpass Stewart's status, yet we've never seen the obvious fawning by those cooking for said judges like we do with her.  And I don't get why; I'd think it was her demand, but she came off hilariously self-aware in her show with Snoop Dog, so whether that was natural or a calculated performance, I don't know why she'd turn around and purposely present herself as a sycophant-loving diva here.

• Love 5

Did Geoffrey seriously describe pot de crème as "a French version of mousse"? Where does he think mousse comes from? I'd say pot de crème is closer to pudding, anyway - much less airy than mousse. 

Edited by librarianbeck
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

I asked Geoffrey why he uses chopsticks to eat everything, even ice cream. I’ll let you know if he responds.

lol! I can't stand the chopsticks thing. Use a fork or a spoon. Has he tried it with broth? How can you get a good taste of something that shouldn't be eaten with them?

I have to say Amanda is my favorite judge. 

• Love 1

The hotdog mousse made me want to puke 🤢 That round was hard to watch!  And dumping the trash can nachos into the blender, uggggg.

what’s the secret to keeping the wonton filling in when they fry it?  I’m surprised a couple of them had that issue. 

I cant believe all four made wontons when given wrappers!  You’d think they wouldn’t ALL make the obvious choice!  

• Love 3

When I first saw Geoffrey using chopsticks, I thought he was doing it just to keep Martha company so to speak  but now he's using them even when she's not there.  Gah.  I'm surprised the other guys haven't ridiculed him enough to make him stop it.  He looks ridiculous not to mention pretentious on a whole new level.  

• Love 1
5 hours ago, mlp said:

I'm surprised the other guys haven't ridiculed him enough to make him [Geoffrey] stop it.

I saw an episode on Tuesday with Martha, Geoffrey, & Mark Murphy on the judging panel. All three were using chopsticks to eat the dessert, which was composed of bits & bobs.  I was disappointed to see that.  It seems other judges are drinking the kool-aid.

• Love 1

These highly-trained and experienced chefs following the lead of a woman who got lucky with her first book that got her a TV show.... unbelievable.

I’ve tried several of Martha’s recipes long ago, they were all flops. By now she’s had real chefs refine them for reprints of her books, but I never bought anything else she sold after that.

• Love 2

Martha, Geoffrey, & Mark Murphy on the judging panel. All three were using chopsticks to eat the dessert

Marc too?  Oh, good grief.  I expected better of him.  If Chris Santos stoops to acting effete, I will be shocked and disappointed.

• Love 4
13 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

These highly-trained and experienced chefs following the lead of a woman who got lucky with her first book that got her a TV show.... unbelievable.

I’ve tried several of Martha’s recipes long ago, they were all flops. By now she’s had real chefs refine them for reprints of her books, but I never bought anything else she sold after that.

Yes. Martha used to be well known for having recipes that were inadequately tested that just didn't work. I bought one book and will never buy another. It's annoying seeing actual chefs pretending she is anywhere near their level.

• Love 2
On 2/24/2019 at 9:52 PM, Aileen said:

Who won the chicken challenge (OAD 2/19/19)?? Our DVR recorded a black screen for the last 4 minutes.

Dallas beat Erica (I put the reason for her chopping in the spoiler box).  BTW, they're rerunning the episode this Thursday at 9 eastern and a few hours later at midnight eastern.

Spoiler

She was chopped because most of the skin on her pouillon (sp?) in the 2nd round stuck to the grill pan and didn't make it onto the plates, which meant the bird lost a lot of its flavor and dried out a bit.  That was considered a bigger sin than Dallas' lack of salt in his gnocchi.  Also, the fried rice didn't show up a whole lot in her dessert granola.

Edited by letusprocrastinate
  • Love 2

Also, the fried rice didn't show up a whole lot in her dessert granola.

LOL  I just have to say........................ If I saw that comment anywhere at all, completely out of context, I would know immediately that someone was talking about Chopped.  What a perfectly distilled description.

• LOL 5
  • Love 4

I enjoyed the episode with the female butchers, even though my favorite one was cut second. I really liked Judy (I think that was her name)--she seemed to have a great attitude and was fun to watch. FN--take note and please reach out to her for another show/episode. I was really put off by the septum piercing and ear gauges of the woman who won (I hate ear gauges) but she seemed nice and like she could use a confidence boost so good for her.

• Love 1

The only thing I liked about the butchers episode was the gal who got chopped second.  She seemed nice and looked normal.  The first one out had a bad attitude and the last two were so off-putting that I listened to the dessert round but didn't actually watch it because I was grossed out by the one with the ear gauges and metal through her nose.  One thing I've learned from Chopped is that the food industry seems to have more than its share of creepy people.

• Love 3
On 3/11/2019 at 12:12 PM, jonnybagofdonuts said:

Michael Imperioli talk winning Chopped on the SDR Show. Starts at 44 min mark. 

Christophuh!

Anyway, this past week's episode seemed like it had very challenging baskets.  Gefilte fish is one of those polarizing foods -- some love it, some hate it.  I personally love it, but I don't think I've ever had the sweet variety.  That sounds strange even to me, someone who's eaten it their whole life.

• Love 1

I laughed when Ted fessed up to liking circus peanuts. If I had to bet on who it would be I would have picked Amanda as the culprit.

Good final two. And, unlike sometimes, when the judges have to engage in dramatic licence to imply a close  contest, these two really did seem to be closely matched through the show.

• Love 2