Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: TRMS 2019 Season

Message added by formerlyfreedom

Reminder; keep discussion to the current episodes of Rachel's show. Failure to follow the forum guidelines can result in removed posts and warnings being doled out. In some cases, suspensions and even banning may occur. Thank you. 

• Start Topic

(edited)
2 hours ago, roughing it said:

Release the nukes?  Share the nuke codes with Putie?  Other intel??

IIRC Rach has mentioned this -

One night toward the end of Nixon's reign, Joseph Laitin, public affairs spokesman of the Office of Management and Budget, encountered this scenario:

"I was on my way over to the West Wing of the White House to see Treasury Secretary George Schultz. I'd reached the basement, near the Situation Room. And just as I was about to ascend the stairway, a guy came running down the stairs two at a time. He had a frantic look on his face, wild-eyed, like a madman. And he bowled me over, so I kind of lost my balance. And before I could pick myself up, six athletic-looking young men leapt over me, pursuing him. I suddenly realized that they were Secret Service agents, that I'd been knocked over by the president of the United States."

And this was after Cabinet-level discussion of implementing the 25th Amendment, because of unsettling things that had occurred. Laitin immediately phoned Defense Secretary James Schlesinger who soon met with the chairman of the Joint Chiefs, and they implemented that "every order that would come from the White House had to come to me (Schlesinger) directly, immediately upon receipt." What the Secretary wanted was "an agreement from the Joint Chiefs, all of them, that nobody would take any action or execute any orders, without all of them agreeing to it."

Somehow, I have little faith that those currently in position would weigh things as seriously as those men surrounding a dangerous president in '74.

Edited by suomi
typo
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, wendyg said:

Yeah, it was a chilling moment (which I also saw live in the testimony), but practically speaking how exactly would Trump be able to resist a peaceful transition? He can handcuff himself to the White House radiators and throw a tantrum, but to retain the presidency would require external support. Realistically, where's he going to get that? In such a scenario I would expect the military, the secret services, the police, the courts, and the vast majority of the people to be arrayed against him. I was disappointed that Maddow chose to highlight the creepiness of the comment without also pointing out the logistical difficulties.

By doing exactly what he planned to do in 2016 if he had lost like he expected--he will do everything possible to undermine public confidence in the election.    I head people on the right discussing strong, armed reactions to the 2018 elections online.    That is what all of this attack on our elections is about.   Make it so that our free elections, which are the center of our Democracy suddenly are considered "rigged" or unreliable and make people question whether the new person elected is legitimate.

• Love 5

Great show tonite, Rach!  What’s better than watching Rachel rip apart Jared, Jared, Jared?  Rach tearing Jared’s hoity-toidy big shot lawyer to shreds.  Heh, heh, heh, good stuff, Rach.

Rachel’s hypothesis on the motivation behind Manafort’s lawyers’ latest maneuvering was pretty fascinating.  Bet Rach is absolutely correct in everything she suspects.

• Love 6

Abbe Lowell (who also represents Ivanka) has a stellar reputation and his evolving statements clearly indicate that he's going to bail. I didn't see anyone but Rach talking about this and I toggled between MSNBC and CNN all night long.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, suomi said:

Abbe Lowell (who also represents Ivanka) has a stellar reputation and his evolving statements clearly indicate that he's going to bail. I didn't see anyone but Rach talking about this and I toggled between MSNBC and CNN all night long.

Yeah, I think that's where Rach was going with her awesome snark on Lowell.  Well, he's not actually part of the cabinet, so if he does say bye-bye to Jared & Ivanka, Rach can't add him to her swell chart (which I feel like haven't seen in years).  Sniff.  Sad!

So Rach hit on pretty much everything going on tonite & I just knew she was gonna start with Jared, Jared, Jared.  She got to the Manafort stuff & the Stone stuff & whatever else is leftover on Cohen -- but on a completely different topic, did she ever get to discussing the confirmation of the completely abhorrent & despicable Andrew Wheeler?  She's mentioned him at great length before.  Well, there's always next week . . .

• Love 2

I think tonight might have been a record for the first segment:  28 minutes.  And it was riveting, mainly about Boeing and safety.  And its CEO being buddies with POTUS.  

• Love 8

The jaw-dropping moment was when Rachel said the government shutdown delayed the fix in the 737 Max's software, which means the Ethiopian Air crash and its 157 deaths might be directly attributed to it.  I think if it were possible, steam would have come out of her ears and her head would have spun around uncontrollably.

• Love 10

I adored the Hamburglar analogy. If she wanted to stretch it all the way, there would have to be a conspiracy with others to steal hamburgers. But as a simple matter of Crime A versus rumored Crime B, it was perfect and funny. 

(I also loved her wondering whether Manafort's lawyers can get in trouble. I've been hoping their local bar associations will look into them for outright lying to the cameras on the courthouse steps.)

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, ahisma said:

I adored the Hamburglar analogy. If she wanted to stretch it all the way, there would have to be a conspiracy with others to steal hamburgers.

Probably the only time you'll ever see Ronald McDonald on TRMS.

I had never heard the slang term "crowbar hotel."  Ha!

After what felt to me like a very lackluster week or so, Rachel came through with two solid shows in a row.  Definitely needed Joyce Vance to comment on the double jeopardy conundrum, although she didn't sound convinced the case will clear the legal hurdle.  Commentators on CNN were very worried about the new indictment being announced right after the verdict being seen as nakedly political, so I was a little surprised not to hear much on that subject from anybody I watched today on MSNBC, including Rachel.

And Sen. Blumenthal gave her an attagirl on All In, complimenting her for her reporting last night on the repository of pilot comments.

I do feel like Rachel enjoys the transcript reading just a little too much.  Is it really necessary to read the part where they identify what case they're talking about?   She was stumbling over the transcript tonight.  Slow down, girl.

• Love 1

Hey, Rach, there's still Flynn & Stone court stuff coming up, so practice a bit if you're gonna do more transcript readings, will ya?

Yeah, the CNN commentary on the new Manafort indictments was useless, but Joyce's POV made me queasy.  Uh, isn't Joyce always right about legal matters?  She seemed mighty apprehensive, that NY state judges would throw the indictments out as double jeopardy.  Ugh.

So a half-hour on Boeing last nite, but zero follow up tonite?  Not even 2 minutes?  What the what, Rach?

• Love 2

Crowbar hotel?  Yeah, I never heard that one before.  

I love Rachel's show (and Lawrence's) but I sometimes get tired of their handoff.  Most of the time she's just rehashing what she just talked about.  Lawrence seems to like it, though.  He doesn't usually do it with anyone subbing for her.  And occasionally we do get some really good moments between them.  I guess I shouldn't complain.  

• Love 1
54 minutes ago, SierraMist said:

Lawrence seems to like it, though.  He doesn't usually do it with anyone subbing for her.  And occasionally we do get some really good moments between them. 

I don't mind it if it goes quickly, but when it goes on too long, it bugs me.  Especially when it goes on for five minutes and then LOD has to cut his guests short because they're out of time.  If Rachel wants to chat with LOD, let him guest on her show or vice versa.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, meowmommy said:

I don't mind it if it goes quickly, but when it goes on too long, it bugs me.  Especially when it goes on for five minutes and then LOD has to cut his guests short because they're out of time.  If Rachel wants to chat with LOD, let him guest on her show or vice versa.

In every handoff I've seen, it's LOD that extends it, not Rachel.  She always looks more than ready to finish up and get off the air.

• Love 9
11 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

In every handoff I've seen, it's LOD that extends it, not Rachel.  She always looks more than ready to finish up and get off the air.

I have suspected on more than one occasion that LOD is trying to hold on to Rachel's audience via the handoff.  (Once in a great while it feels mutual, those are more enjoyable.)  

• Love 7
20 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

Yes, once in a while she is really engaged and energized, but more often, she is being polite.  Like to someone talking at you in front of the grocery store, and you are saying "uh-huh," and looking for an exit opportunity.  It is so clear when Rachel is interested, and when she is *trying* to look interested.  And a few times, it has been so clear that she has nothing left to give, and Lawrence seems to know when she needs to crawl away.  

• Love 3

Rachel is so right - how is that man still Secretary of Labor?    And why isn't that the top story on every news cast.  I'm not sure if anyone is covering it except Rachel. 

And also, how is Deutsche Bank still in existence?  

• Love 10
4 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

And why isn't that the top story on every news cast. 

Because it gets bumped by every other catastrophe that comes into play.  Like I assume Rachel is practicing her transcript-reading voice, because she's got an 895-page warrant on Michael Cohen that hit the news today.

• Love 3

"I don't mean this to be rude. I don't mean this in a personally minimizing way . . . All these people who arrived in Trump's clown car with him..."

That is not minimizing at all! I loved Rachel's description of all the random morons who are now in the spotlight because of Trump.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
On 3/19/2019 at 8:14 AM, M. Darcy said:

And also, how is Deutsche Bank still in existence?  

To be fair, even DJT's billion dollar projects aren’t the biggest deals they do. However they are currently pondering a merger with Commerzbank. I think those are Germany's two largest banks, which seems like a really bad idea to me, post 2008, but it would further dilute Deutsche's losses on their bad bets. I kept expecting Rachel to mention the merger story, but she only focused on the Trump investigation aspect.

The story about the chemical fire cloud in Texas reminded me of when Rachel's show was not all Trump-Mueller all the time. I can't even calculate the number of things we aren't paying attention to because of the Presidential sideshow.

• Love 8

So, apparently Rachel is not expecting the Report today or tomorrow, since Joy said "Rachel will be back...……..SOON".  That means not tomorrow.  Argggh.  I will just treat this as newly free hours for other priorities.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, freddi said:

So, apparently Rachel is not expecting the Report today or tomorrow, since Joy said "Rachel will be back...……..SOON".  That means not tomorrow.  Argggh.  I will just treat this as newly free hours for other priorities.  

Me too!!!

• Love 2
On 3/19/2019 at 8:32 PM, ahisma said:

The story about the chemical fire cloud in Texas reminded me of when Rachel's show was not all Trump-Mueller all the time. I can't even calculate the number of things we aren't paying attention to because of the Presidential sideshow.

This is so true.  I still have video podcasts from the years when the full shows could be downloaded -- and she did in-depth coverage of fascinating issues, like a full opening segment on the possibility of selling off art objects in the Detroit Institute of Art.  Even though she has a lot of editorial latitude, imagine the reaction to a segment like that, these days, especially as the opening segment.  The best they are doing is pulling up new perspectives on the Nixon years, because of the mirroring of current news.  But otherwise, it is current federal scandals, with a few doses of 2020 candidates.  

• Love 3

I enjoyed Rachel's explanation last nite of why she ain't doing the vast, endlessly growing Blob-like list of Trump departures.  A relief for her over-worked staff?  Whatever.  It was a good excuse for her to spotlight the latest disgusting uncovered shit on Alex Acosta.

I'm a little disappointed not to see Rachel report on the latest barf-inducing shit that Jared, Jared, Jared is up to.  But it's OK cuz everyone else on CNN & MSNBC was spotlighting it. 

BUT I really wanted to see Rachel's reaction tonite, after it seemed like pretty much every fool on CNN & MSNBC was panting breathlessly (for the billionth time) about how the Mueller report was coming any second.  My reaction to this was a big yawn.  I expected to see Rachel react with a hearty snicker & maybe an eye roll.  Nope.  What she did was even better.  Clearly, she said -- I'm goin' fishin' . . .

• Love 3
55 minutes ago, Jaded said:

Damnit Rachel you picked a hell of a time to take a couple of days off. I wonder if she's going to try to make it back tonight....

Ohhhhhh -- I had not seen the news until I saw your post!  I always said she must have a Batsignal that would bring her back if this happened.  And based on what Joy said last night, I assumed that Rachel had some inside information that it would be a quiet few days.  Yes, this news needs Rachel at the helm. 

• Love 1

And so we know for SURE, there is a pop up window on MSNBC saying that Rachel will be LIVE!

Annnnd....they found Rachel in a stream in Tennessee, then got her to a television studio in Tennessee, where the new-to-Rachel camera person is zooming in and out a little to find the regulation image size for Rachel.  And her staff must be scrambling like mad to assure she has what she needs.  It is so WORTH THE EFFORT, Rachel!  She needed to be here for the start of this next phase:  waiting for the contents and legal struggles.

And someone found her the regulation black jacket.  Or it was in her tackle box, just in case.  Is she still wearing her waders below the desk??!!

• Love 10

Shiny lip gloss - wonder who did her makeup?

Once I heard that Mueller had sent something to the AG, I knew that if Rachel was somewhere in the US, she would be on the air tonight.  Rachel is like the Royal Family - they always travel with black clothes just in case the Queen dies, and Rachel always travels with a black blazer just in case there's breaking news.  

• LOL 3
  • Love 8
51 minutes ago, Calvada said:

Once I heard that Mueller had sent something to the AG, I knew that if Rachel was somewhere in the US, she would be on the air tonight.  Rachel is like the Royal Family - they always travel with black clothes just in case the Queen dies, and Rachel always travels with a black blazer just in case there's breaking news.  

I finally got a look at her at the end, when she was talking to Lawrence -- and also had the same thought that it was shiny lip gloss.  But it looked good, all of her makeup looked very fresh.  Whoever got the call to come in and do the makeup for Rachel did a very good job for her.    Congratulations, Tennessee NBC affiliate (unnamed)!  And Lawrence told Rachel that he was on a boat "thousands of miles" south of Florida, but took planes to get to Miami for his broadcast.  Yup, a big news day, and the start of the next phase.  

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Calvada said:

Rachel always travels with a black blazer just in case there's breaking news.

The chyron underneath her was so huge, she could practically have been naked.  What was that thing on the bottom--some kind of star-filled snowbank?  I don't like that it blocked the usual time clock in the lower right corner.

• Love 1

I guess I get that all the networks had to have all their top guns covering Mueller turning in his homework today, but really, Rachel could have spent another day or two fishin' (and Lawrence could have stayed wherever he was for another day), and then spent Sunday and Monday preparing an analysis of what Mueller turned in.  But tonight?  All anybody could say is "Welp, he's finished his investigation.  Apparently he's not issuing any additional indictments.  We might know something more later this weekend.  Meanwhile, lots of other investigations still happening."  This isn't as anticlimactic as the big tax-refund tease, because this actually will be a big story once someone knows what's in the report, but tonight was just a bunch of talking heads with nothing to talk about yet.

• Love 12

Yeah, tonite was a bunch of pondering on what could or might be coming.  Look, this is annoying as shit when Chuck Todd does it.  But NOT from Rach, who is great at pointing out (and asking the right questions about) the possibilities.  And any excuse to see Chuck (Rosenberg) & Joyce & Neal Katyal & Schiff weigh in with their thoughts?  Well, that makes for a good show to me.  The only one missing was Jill Wine-Banks, who was on LOD, wearing a cute & oh-so-appropriate huge diamond question-mark pin.  God, I adore that woman.  Rach, you need to have her as a regular.

Ugh, that pinky/peachy lip gloss (and too obvious, lame-ass smokey eye shadow) was distracting & soooo not Rachel.  I tried hard not to be distracted by it, but it was difficult.  Jeez, that makeup person should be smacked immediately for not knowing this is Rachel freakin' Maddow & NOT Kylie or Kendall Jenner.  Sheesh!

In spite of the shitty makeup, and ugly background (even with the lousy try at the usual Mondrian theme) & generally unflattering screen visual, thanks for coming back from fishing, Rach.

Edited by ScoobieDoobs
  • Love 7
55 minutes ago, ScoobieDoobs said:

And any excuse to see Chuck (Rosenberg) & Joyce & Neal Katyal & Schiff weigh in with their thoughts?  Well, that makes for a good show to me.  The only one missing was Jill Wine-Banks, who was on LOD, wearing a cute & oh-so-appropriate huge diamond question-mark pin.  God, I adore that woman.  Rach, you need to have her as a regular.

Any two-fer sighting of my hero Chuck Rosenberg (he was on Nicolle's show today as well) is heaven.  When he opens his mouth, it's like EF Hutton--just gotta stop to listen.  He's so calm and detailed and thoughtful that I hafta wonder how he ever made it onto the big land of teevee.  But I don't think I've ever seen JWB on Rachel's show at all.  She always visits either Chris Hayes or LOD.

I also think it's the first time Rachel's ever mentioned anyone being a network contributor, the way Chris and LOD always include it in their introductions.  Maybe she was just that impressed with Neal Katyal making the A-team.

I wish I lived in Burbank so I could vote for Congressman Schiff.  He's on a mission.

55 minutes ago, ScoobieDoobs said:

Ugh, that pinky/peachy lip gloss (and too obvious, lame-ass smokey eye shadow) was distracting & soooo not Rachel

Seems like Rachel could have swiped off the lip gloss if she'd wanted to.  What I found distracting was the lower corner of her right eye appeared smudgy while the left eye did not, as if she'd rubbed off some eyeliner.  And the usual trademark false eyelashes were either missing or in light stock. 

Edited by meowmommy
  • Love 2

I think she may have had a black eye. The whole right (her right) side of her face of her face, especially her under-eye, looked a little swollen to me. A fishing accident? Perhaps the make-up person was trying to camoflage the bruising and to equalize both eyes with the rather heavy-handed smoky lids.

Can’t wait to we have something more substantial to talk about!....

Edited by roguery
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, car54 said:

Lawrence just tweeted that both he and Rachel were supposed to be off but that they will both be doing their shows tonight.

Am I the only one who thought it was completely stoopid for MSNBC to call both of them back from their vacations today just because Mueller turned his report into the AG? Nobody knows a damn thing for sure and the entire shows (along with every other cable news shows) were nothing but speculation. It could be this, it could be that... Do we really need Rachel and LOD telling us they don't know what's going to happen? I watched the first five minutes of both and deleted them from my DVR after that.

Now if something concrete happened, like say Spanky being assassinated, then yeah, get your best anchors on the air. But this? Pfft.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, SpiritSong said:

Am I the only one who thought it was completely stoopid for MSNBC to call both of them back from their vacations today just because Mueller turned his report into the AG?

I agree. The only thing I can think of is that they pulled the trigger on calling them back the second they heard the report was in and by the time they realized that they wouldn't have much, things were already too far in motion. And for all we know, this could be what they wanted and everything was prearranged. Rachel probably would have never forgiven herself if serious Mueller info dropped while she was fishing.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, Calvada said:

I noticed the lip gloss too....I liked it...bet the folks at the Tennessee station were excited to have Rachel there(was it mentioned if she was in Nashville? or Knoxville?  I assume she was in the mountains for fishing)

• Love 1

I am in the camp of “Rachel was needed for this moment.”  They always knew the contents of the report would not be immediately available. But it is how this sets up the investigation for the next phase that’s important, and analyzing the Barr letter was important.  This moves the investigation officially into the political phase, in addition to the legal phase that is ongoing. I’m sure Rachel wanted to be the one to present this news — I’ve made several comments on this thread in the past that this was probably one of two or three pieces of news that would pull her out of her canoe.  

One thing Rachel did NOT say is that this literally was a 5:00 Friday news dump, with Congress committee offices getting the news precisely at 5:00 via hand delivery.  After her many lectures about Friday Night News Dumps, I guess it was not something to highlight, given that she planned to miss this Friday!

No, Jill WB does not appear on Rachel's show, which seems odd, but I suspect Rachel has reasons for this. 

• Love 7
12 minutes ago, freddi said:

I am in the camp of “Rachel was needed for this moment.”  They always knew the contents of the report would not be immediately available. But it is how this sets up the investigation for the next phase that’s important, and analyzing the Barr letter was important.

Agreed. Especially when all the major headlines floating around were saying “no further indictments.” I think people needed the bigger picture about next steps. 

• Love 2
34 minutes ago, freddi said:

No, Jill WB does not appear on Rachel's show, which seems odd, but I suspect Rachel has reasons for this. 

I've always thought it was odd, given that Rachel's guests skew toward lawyers, reporters, and government officials, and that she obviously is a big fan of history.  Jill WB and Nick Akerman are living history, having been Watergate prosecutors, and they're never on her show, but are always on either All In or Last Word.  One or the other of them must have peed in Rachel's cornflakes at some time.

• Love 4

I did not watch Rachel live last night, other than a few minutes.  I was watching the women's Frozen Four (go Badgers!) and just caught a few minutes of Rachel in a break.  Thus my only comment was about her makeup. But I've now seen the entire show and while I agree this was a Rice Krispies type of news day with lots of air and not much substance (Report is sent to AG!  We don't know what it says!  Get Maddow on the air!), I did appreciate having Rachel on to talk about what may happen, and to bring on the various experts.  

I appreciate Rachel making the point with Neal Katyal that even though supposedly there are no more indictments coming from Mueller, it's very possible there are additional cases that have been handed over to various US Attorneys' Offices, as Mueller has done already with criminal conduct uncovered that is not part of his investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 election.  I also liked Chuck Rosenberg's comment that no one should be dancing in the end zone yet.  

Rachel tweeted this morning that Russia Today and conservative media is reporting that she wept throughout her show last night.  What the hell?  Is that the fault of the makeup too?

Re the onscreen graphics, at first I thought the bottom of the screen said tm Mueller Report and I was so confused.  How could MSNBC trademark "Mueller Report?"  Then I realized what I thought was tm was the word "the" in a teeny tiny font.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, meowmommy said:

I've always thought it was odd, given that Rachel's guests skew toward lawyers, reporters, and government officials, and that she obviously is a big fan of history.  Jill WB and Nick Akerman are living history, having been Watergate prosecutors, and they're never on her show, but are always on either All In or Last Word.  One or the other of them must have peed in Rachel's cornflakes at some time.

Or maybe THEY don't want to be on HER show (for whatever reason)!!!???  Just sayin'.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, ZoqFotPik said:

I agree. The only thing I can think of is that they pulled the trigger on calling them back the second they heard the report was in and by the time they realized that they wouldn't have much, things were already too far in motion. And for all we know, this could be what they wanted and everything was prearranged. 

You're probably right about that. I just felt bad about both of them having their time off interrupted. At least it wasn't on Wednesday, so they got most of their vacations in. And while I like Joy Reid and Ali Velshi, I do prefer to watch when the regular anchors are doing their own shows.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Calvada said:

Rachel tweeted this morning that Russia Today and conservative media is reporting that she wept throughout her show last night.  What the hell?  Is that the fault of the makeup too?

Yes, I saw these articles also, ironically as I was watching the repeat of her show -- so I looked, and nope, I was not seeing the tears.  What idiocy.

25 minutes ago, SpiritSong said:

You're probably right about that. I just felt bad about both of them having their time off interrupted. At least it wasn't on Wednesday, so they got most of their vacations in. 

I really believe Rachel wanted to cover this, and would go on air from wherever she happened to be.  Again, they knew the content would not be available.  Last night was about beginning the political phase:  what will Congress do with the report, and how much will Congress see?   I do think this timing caught her by surprise.  And she only got a few hours of vacation before this happened!  

• Love 2

I love Rachael and Lawrence but I don't feel the least bit bad that they interrupted their time off to come back and do their shows last night.   They both did their shows from the nearest TV studio.   Rachael was in Tennessee and Lawrence was in Miami.   They're on five nights a week and take an awful lot of Friday's off.   And they have scheduled vacations during the year.   They have more time off than the average worker in the US and rake in a hell of a lot more money.

Edited by AnnA