Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: TRMS 2019 Season

Message added by formerlyfreedom

Reminder; keep discussion to the current episodes of Rachel's show. Failure to follow the forum guidelines can result in removed posts and warnings being doled out. In some cases, suspensions and even banning may occur. Thank you. 

• Start Topic

Most of what Warren said in her interview with Rachel was word for word from her speech in New York, which I found inspiring and brilliant. I am not sure it translated as well to the interview format, though, and I'm not sure Rachel should have just sat there and let her give her entire stump speech.

However, I'm also not convinced it's good journalism to keep fishing for a specific answer to a question that has already been asked and answered many times. It shouldn't be about trying to get a particular soundbite. But Rachel definitely could have been more in-depth with her questions.

I also don't like when reporters try to get candidates to play pundit and talk about the horse race.Warren's answer on the Bernie question was the only thing she could say. "Yes, we're going to split the progressive vote and hand the election to Joe Biden" might have some truth to it, but only an idiot would say that.

I really liked Warren's answer to the first question about whether she'll be able to keep up the selfie lines. She stood there for four hours, but so did the last guy in line. 

• Love 4

Boy, that section where she tied together events she has covered on her show since mid-summer?  Just chilling, but weirdly thrilling, like the moment in a movie or literature where a lot of the pieces planted along the way come together to create a new picture.  As she said, "if you are one of the people who have been watching this show over the past few weeks instead of your friends who have something better to do, you will get this better than someone walking into this now."  She is totally right.  And She really put all these pieces in front of us before she or we knew the meaning of it all.  

I remember when she reported on the abrupt departure of the deputy of Intelligence, Sue Gordon, who was interrupted by Dan Coats in a meeting and told to resign immediately.  That was quite alarming at the time, but who knew why?

Glad Rachel told us that the whistleblower has hired a top lawyer,  Apparently this is very necessary.  Rachel had Carol Leonnig on her show last night (via phone), and Leonnig was on Lawrence's show tonight saying the White House could find out who the whistleblower is if they want to.  Rachel asked this question rhetorically tonight in the "A" block. 

Edited by freddi
  • Love 10

As I listened to Megan Twohey tell Rachel that she had been given the choice of investigating Weinstein or Trump’s Moscow venture, I had to wonder if history would have been different if she had uncovered as much on Moscow as she/they did on Weinstein.  

• Love 2
19 hours ago, freddi said:

Glad Rachel told us that the whistleblower has hired a top lawyer,  Apparently this is very necessary.  Rachel had Carol Leonnig on her show last night (via phone), and Leonnig was on Lawrence's show tonight saying the White House could find out who the whistleblower is if they want to.  Rachel asked this question rhetorically tonight in the "A" block. 

Wouldn't the potential list of who the whistleblower is be relatively small?  Does anyone know how many people would know what the president said on a call with a foreign leader?  

Oh, bummer, they cut off the hand-off (did that earlier today, also).  But it was Ali, so I don't think we missed much.

Loved the interview with Rep. Luria, whom I have not seen previously.  I love it when Rachel talks to politicians who really seem to believe in the good of government, and the need to protect it.  

• Love 3
2 hours ago, gatopretoNYC said:

I love Rachel's graphics team. The "DEPOSE" graphic was a take-off of ones from show Pose. 😁

Okay, I never would have known this, thanks!  I watched the rerun just to see it! 

ETA: well, in the rerun we saw what had been cut earlier, which was a full minute about her interview tomorrow with Andrew Yang.  

Edited by freddi
  • Love 1

Jeez, we got a really giddy Rach, tonite, eh?  I know it's a busy news day, Rach -- and so it is every day.  Wish she'd give up saying that & tone down the giddiness.  Both are annoying.

Good interview with Maxine, but the Yang interview was needless.  I skipped it.

1 hour ago, ScoobieDoobs said:

I know it's a busy news day, Rach -- and so it is every day.  Wish she'd give up saying that & tone down the giddiness.  Both are annoying.

Oh, it makes me crazy when she acts *so* surprised that it’s a busy news day.  Most days she says this.  You’re host of a NEWS program, on a NEWS network!  Of course there’s news!  C’mon!  

• Love 3

So remember when NYT said it was banning their reporters from Rach?  But Nicole’s bf (allegedly) Michael Schmidt has been on 2 nites in a row explaining his scoops.  Guess the ban was lifted?  Should we expect him to be a Rach regular now? 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

I really, really need to have Rachel's list of spy thrillers she has enjoyed!

11 hours ago, ScoobieDoobs said:

So remember when NYT said it was banning their reporters from Rach?  But Nicole’s bf (allegedly) Michael Schmidt has been on 2 nites in a row explaining his scoops.  Guess the ban was lifted? 

I was so focused on "That's Nicolle's boyfriend" (they actually disclosed this to MSNBC for ethics reasons) that I missed that the NYT ban was over.  You're right! 

Edited by freddi
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

She mentioned way too quickly an audio version of the complaint.  Now that, she should repeat again & push.  I might listen if it’s not more than a few minutes.

Leading off with Nixon impeachment stuff the other nite was a mistake.  I tuned out quick cuz there was so much vitally important news for Rachel to be covering, I had no patience for her not focusing on it.

Look, I get it.  There are absolutely many similarities btw the shit Trump has pulled with Ukraine & what Nixon tried to get away with.  It’s fine for Rach to make those comparisons.  But to lead off with it, & then spend 20 minutes on it, is just not an effective use of her limited show time.

Too much news going on now, Rach, for you to be distracted with Nixon comparisons.  Make those comparisons if you feel so compelled to do so, Rachel, but please keep in mind & prioritize the important news of the day as well.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, ScoobieDoobs said:

.Leading off with Nixon impeachment stuff the other nite was a mistake.  I tuned out quick cuz there was so much vitally important news for Rachel to be covering, I had no patience for her not focusing on it.

Look, I get it.  There are absolutely many similarities btw the shit Trump has pulled with Ukraine & what Nixon tried to get away with.  It’s fine for Rach to make those comparisons.  But to lead off with it, & then spend 20 minutes on it, is just not an effective use of her limited show time.

Too much news going on now, Rach, for you to be distracted with Nixon comparisons.  Make those comparisons if you feel so compelled to do so, Rachel, but please keep in mind & prioritize the important news of the day as well.

"Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

I personally tune in to hear the way Rachel weaves the past and the present together into a tapestry of history. She is brilliant that way. 

• Love 19
28 minutes ago, taanja said:

I personally tune in to hear the way Rachel weaves the past and the present together into a tapestry of history. She is brilliant that way. 

ITA, that is what makes Rach unique & I’m usually all for the history connections.  But to see her start off with this stuff on such a dramatically heavy newsday, annoyed me to no end.  Still, I’ll always prefer watching Rachel over Cuomo & his waste-of-time crap, talking to Mooch, Smellyanne, Lewandowski or similar ridiculous fools.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, taanja said:

I agree.  We need more people in this country with an understanding of our past. 

22 hours ago, freddi said:

I really, really need to have Rachel's list of spy thrillers she has enjoyed!

I too would love it if she would release her reading list.  If Barack Obama and Bill Clinton can do it, why not Rachel?  

She tweeted the link to the audio version of the whistleblower's complaint and suggested people listen to it while washing the dishes, and that is exactly what I did.  It was about 30 minutes long.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 4

I listened to it.  Here's the link Rach posted.  I'm really glad she hasn't gotten bogged down in referring too much to the complaint.  I'm posting cuz I think Rach expects her viewers to try to listen . . .

There's a lot to digest & a lot of names being mentioned, so it's really easy to get completely lost.  The one name that pops up the most frequently is Rudy.  The rest are names Rach has frequently discussed, so they should be familiar.

I loved Rachel showing the clip of her interviewing Susan Rice & asking about the possibility of the situation we are in right now.  Rach was kinda patting herself on the back for sorta predicting this, wasn't she?  Well, she absolutely should!

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

Thanks for the audio Scoobie.

I can't even describe how I feel about what I heard.  I have a different opinion of the whistleblower than I did before.  This person is of a much higher level than I had originally thought.

I also still want to hear Dan Coats and Sue Gordon's side of all of this.  They both left when the shit began to hit the fan.

• Love 10
On 9/27/2019 at 4:01 PM, ScoobieDoobs said:

ITA, that is what makes Rach unique & I’m usually all for the history connections.  But to see her start off with this stuff on such a dramatically heavy newsday, annoyed me to no end.  Still, I’ll always prefer watching Rachel over Cuomo & his waste-of-time crap, talking to Mooch, Smellyanne, Lewandowski or similar ridiculous fools.

For me-- Rachel Maddow is one of my go to shows. She rarely if ever annoys me. Plus I adore history and the way she connects the dots often times has me cheering.

• Love 9

Rachel, if you do a segment on your book (looks great!  was glad to hear from you about it!), no need to act SO embarrassed when every guest congratulates you.  Your publisher counts on it.  

Atlanta, step it up!  Seattle was sold out the day the date was announced.  I wonder if she will sometimes do her show from other studios?  I looked at her book tour schedule, and it is a lot of the next two weeks, starting Thursday, and her appearances are more or less at her showtime.  I hope it is not two weeks of Joy or Ali.  

I had not seen that Volker television interview -- glad she showed that segment, and that was a great question from the Ukrainian journalist. 

ETA:  Rachel is on crutches?  I vaguely recall something about this -- injury before one of her fishing trips?  That was at least two weeks ago -- must be a mean injury.  (On July 19, she said she was on crutches -- this is a new injury, right?) (ETA2:  I checked the transcripts for the July info -- not keeping a journal nor have a super memory...)

Edited by freddi
  • Love 2

Very curious that Rachel's show is the only show that has showed the Kurt Volker interview.

My interest in him and what he know and has to say, has grown everyday since he quickly resigned his position,

• Love 4
On 9/30/2019 at 8:55 PM, freddi said:

ETA:  Rachel is on crutches?  I vaguely recall something about this -- injury before one of her fishing trips?  That was at least two weeks ago -- must be a mean injury.  (On July 19, she said she was on crutches -- this is a new injury, right?) (ETA2:  I checked the transcripts for the July info -- not keeping a journal nor have a super memory...)

It's the same injury.  She was on Colbert tonight and said that she fell over 3 months ago, tore 3 ligaments and has been on crutches since.  

10 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

It's the same injury.  She was on Colbert tonight and said that she fell over 3 months ago, tore 3 ligaments and has been on crutches since.  

Wow.  I think she has only mentioned this twice on her show, first when she was injured, then the other night when she said we could come see her on crutches. That’s exhausting, to be on crutches for months.  

• Love 3

Rachel:  “Apparently the perpetrator is a producer of wedding invitations.”   I kept thinking that someone is out there, doing screenshots of the news and going, “Look, look, *I* did that!  That’s my envelope!”  

Edited by freddi
  • LOL 8
  • Love 3

Rachel is taking great pleasure in saying "The President is going to be impeached" as often as she can.    I was thinking of starting a drinking game every time she said it but I'd have passed out.  

She deserves it--with all the bad news she has to deliver every day.

• Love 9

Notice she consistently says he will be impeached very definitively — and not if he is impeached.  That makes me smile.

Of course Rach really had nothing to fear on The View, but when she appears elsewhere, it is a good reminder of just how darn likable she is.

Edited by ScoobieDoobs
  • Love 6

Rachel said "we'll see you tomorrow," but I am assuming it is the royal "we" -- she has a book event at 8:00pm ET, so unless she records the show early, it looks like a guest host?  She is on the West Coast most of next week.   

I have a few comments about her media appearances and the NYT article that I will take over to the "favourite" thread.  

• Love 1

What made the Hill interview so good was Rach kept it so focused on her experience as a Sec of State & how she sees the current shitty situation.  Sure, she coulda had on Wendy Sherman for the zillionth time, but Hillary’s POV right now is absolutely more unique & relevant & vital to hear.

And there was something so riveting about watching these 2 extremely intelligent & politically well-informed women discussing the current situation.  I was thinking — now these 2 would make for a great regular podcast I’d listen to!

Edited by ScoobieDoobs
  • Love 12

No Rachel tonight--Nicole Wallace just said she was filling in tonight.

Rachel did a good job on The View today, and then rushed back and did Andrea Mitchell's show.   

• Love 1

Oh, Nicolle Wallace is my favorite Rachel sub, even though she has only done it a few times.  Nicolle's own show is the other one I make sure to watch somehow every day.  Thanks!  

2 hours ago, car54 said:

No Rachel tonight--Nicole Wallace just said she was filling in tonight.

Rachel did a good job on The View today, and then rushed back and did Andrea Mitchell's show.   

• Love 2

Nicolle did say that Rachel will be back on Friday.  And I again enjoyed seeing her guest host, especially on top of her own show earlier today (which she hosted in addition).  Nice that she gave us a little bit of Rachel in the Colbert clip!  

• Love 2

I've moved a few posts to Rachel's thread.  Please keep this thread specific to TRMS, not Rachel's book/tour/media appearances.  (Rachel mentioning them on the show is not an opening for discussing the specifics.)

A big thank you to those who already did. 🙂 

Nicole was a fine fill-in for Rach tonite.  Anyone notice she had her bf Mike Schmidt on first?  He seemed to kinda correct her right off on something.  Wonder if it takes great control not to end off what you're saying to a romantic partner on TV -- uh, baby or honey or sweetie (or something similar) . . .

Edited by ScoobieDoobs
  • LOL 2
12 hours ago, ScoobieDoobs said:

Nicole was a fine fill-in for Rach tonite.  Anyone notice she had her bf Mike Schmidt on first?  He seemed to kinda correct her right off on something.  Wonder if it takes great control not to end off what you're saying to a romantic partner on TV -- uh, baby or honey or sweetie (or something similar) . . .

Rachel had him on the air last week (twice?) -- he is breaking news on the presidential front constantly for the NYT.  Nicolle has him on her own show frequently, not because he is the bf, but because he is the breaking news reporter at the NYT, and I noted above, when Schmidt was on Rachel's show last week, that Schmidt/Nicolle disclosed their relationship to MSNBC some time ago to work within the rules avoid any appearance of conflict of interest.  They always appear very professional and are always dealing with the most serious topics when she is interviewing him.  

• Love 2

Nicolle had Rachel on *her* show today, and they talked about Nicolle's performance on TRMS last night.  Rachel of course was very complimentary, and Nicolle said, "But I wanted to hear what *you* thought about [latest scandal]."  Then Nicolle said she was so nervous that she kept a "garbage pail next to the desk in case I had to throw up." 

• LOL 4
56 minutes ago, shok said:

I just love watching Rachel's interviews with other smart women. I could watch the full hour of her talking to people like Hillary Clinton and Susan Rice.

There was a time I'd see Rach was gonna interview Susan Rice & I'd think -- eh, ho-hum.  First off, I was dead wrong to ever think that about her, but now her analysis couldn't be more on target & relevant. 

It must not be easy for MSNBC to get those with the appropriate experience & background to give analysis on Ukraine cuz they are stretching Mike McFaul & Wendy Sherman very thin.  It was great to see Rach got POV's from Hillary & Susan Rice for a change.

Investigate & get a date?  Cute, Rach.

• Love 3

The prophetic musing of Hillary Clinton re China, with Rachel in May, was cringe worthy to watch last night.

And when she said it, Rachel said Hillary was mocked by the right.

Edited by tres bien
  • Love 4

That interview with Susan Rice really was wonderful; I had not heard about Rice’s book. 

ETA:  I really like that MSNBC has now sync'd the Friday shows to the same times on Saturday.  I can listen and think it is still Friday... 

Edited by freddi
  • Love 1